Thinly veiled /g/ thread?

can we have a PC/gaming hardware thread?
lets discuss CPUs, GPUs, controllers, laptops, mouses, keyboards, VR etc., your current builds, dream builds and upocoming shit.
Also pictures of your battlestations are welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com/
please
cpubenchmark.net/cpu_value_available.html#xy_scatter_graph
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313712
pcpartpicker.com/product/HWrcCJ/crucial-mx300-20tb-25-solid-state-drive-ct2050mx300ssd1?history_days=730
amazon.com/gp/product/B01DT4A2R4/?tag=lapninj-20&th=1
amazon.com/dp/B01872MCIA/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

After 6 years I'm finally close to being able to double my CPU performance with a CPU under $1,000.
The first new CPU family to offer this will be my next upgrade.

It's Holla Forums now grandpa.

noice. have also considered ryzen?

*have you

Post 'em bois.

GTX 1080 Ti or AMD VEGA RX 64

I finally managed to get a job. Is there any significant releases/possible price drops I should wait for before starting to build a PC?

When the time comes I'll look at both manufactures, I check Intel first because they have a lead in single core performance so will double my current CPU long before AMD does.

Why do you have such shitty RAM to go with what is a great computer? On top of only having half of what you should have that MHz is pitiful

To be honest I've been meaning to get more RAM but I keep on forgetting. I'll probably pick something up this Christmas.

At least it's not that big of a bottleneck. It's still there though. Next year I'm going to get DDR4 ram and a new motherboard/processor.

I know you niggers oughtta expect this by now
What computer should I get between the 1k-2k range? I'm tired of my piece of shit Dell laptop, I'm not looking to play vidya on a HAL-like computer just something I can use to play my sizeable backlog of games that I can't touch because my stupid computer can't handle em

Anything above 1000 mhz is pretty good

logicalincrements.com/
These guys are normally pretty good, you can change it up if you want but for CPU / GPU they scale them well for the budget.

found the newfag

That's DDR3-1600. It's pretty standard. Is this the first time you've seen a Speccy screenshot?

Big dick is back in town, boys. Don't be hatin'.

Thanks user, honestly I don't know shit about computers so I'm probably just gonna stick to whatever parts are recommended but I'll upgrade as I learn more. Having an actual desktop will be extremely nice compared to the piece of shit that I'm used to now

The one thing I would do for sure is a 480gb+ SSD, I have a 250gb SSD and constantly have to manage my installs to keep games that need a fast HDD on there while not filling it with other crap.

Are you seriously going to buy that shit?

A high storage SSD is the one thing I was honestly planning on getting anyway along with a nice 2 Tb HDD to keep all my miscellaneous shit on. I have a 450 now and it's nowhere near enough space so 250 definitely isn't gonna cut it doesn't help that 450 is my only storage besides SD cards

Been using this since early 2014. Intended to have it be great at 1080p for as long as possible. Hasn't let me down so far and 4k builds are starting to really become affordable.

Fug D:
I'm very glad I built it over buying a gayman laptop, but I did do a ton of research on laptops in general. I might end up needing to buy one just for portability (not a gayman one, a regular one).
specs on my rig.
Goddamn. I don't think I've even played many demanding things on this thing, besides maybe StarCraft 2 on Extreme

Don't buy Intel this or next year if you have Ivy bridge or above, wait for Ice Lake, it's going to be a bigger step over the current architecture and one worth upgrading, if you upgrade right now you are just wasting money.

If you want to use OpenGL applications on Windows, AMD is almost always crippled. Less so on Linux but still crippled.
On the other hand Nvidia drivers have a bug which eats RAM for breakfast especially when emulating.

Nope, just looking at where the market is at. The i7-8700K is the closest to doubling my single core performance but has integrated graphics which I don't want. Hopefully in 2-3 years when they have finally doubled 2011's single core performance there will be an option without it.

If you want intel you're not going to have a choice.

fixed two driver updates ago and it only was happening in cemu emulator, it still eats lots of ram so clearly that nigger exzap is partially at fault with some shitty design

Happens with everything that loads a lot of precompiled OGL shaders, so it affected RPCS3 and Dolphin too but in much smaller ways because neither of those loads 20k+ shaders per game.

the entire i9 shit is essentially a scam by Intel to provide a product to compete with AMD to rope in gullible people and please their share holders.

Only partially.
And RPCS3. Currently the way compute shaders are handled using OpenGL in Nvidia on Windows is also very suspect. Probably because they didn't bother fixing it as OpenGL wasn't as widespread as it is now.
Basically AMD is fucked for emulation and Nvidia is better than AMD for emulation but still kind of fucked.

nah I dont think we are there yet, even gtx1080 struggles at 4k with some games

btw

Also OP
Learn where you are. Holla Forums is our /g/.

I just want a big enough gain in performance to justify a new MB and RAM, if by some miracle AMD goes from ~50th in single core performance to #1 then I'll be getting that.
Pic related, the best single core AMD vs my 6yo Intel.

High storage SSDs are retarded at this point. 500gb ones cost what, like 200$? Well 2 tb ones cost 2000$ and above. It's not worth it and it's stupid to overpay for something as cheap as memory.

to be fair the threadripper is cheaper
:^)

Intel is built on wasted money.

I need a new computer so bad.

4k builds still aren't a thing, if you really want to see a decent gain without terrible frames go 1440p @ 144hz. Honestly 60 fps feels like 30 now that I'm use to 100+.

Not a good idea
the non standard refresh rate fucks up with a lot of things.

The most important parts are the power supply and the motherboard. And by important I mean where you should be looking for high quality, compatible parts.
After that the most dramatic performers are the graphics card, the processor, the ram, and the hard drive. Their capabilities are more important than their brand.
Then what’s left is the case, cooling, and peripherals which you might already have.
Really the only difficulty in building PCs is researching the parts, your motherboard manual will walk you through the rest like a LEGO book.

Well the ryzen refresh or whatever is coming early 2018 so maybe you'll have something to look at.

The threadripper platform isn't cheap though.

Thats the joke

I have never had an issue in the year I have been running it. Turn on G-sync, turn off V-sync, problems solved.

What about nonG-Sync monitors?

Depends what you're doing, but most likely GTX 1080 Ti. Vega, besides the miner craze, Vega tends to be only economical if you're focusing on workstation environment. While obviously they'll still game just fine, you're paying extra for something that will run worse than their Nvidia price, counter part.

Gotta agree, you need quicker ram.

Replace Ram, GPU, and maybe PSU and your good.

You mean like prebuilt? Obviously their all crap!

Monitors? What about HDMI TV with niks in the screen?

remove the Seagate GoFlex from your anus so it can cool the fuck down

You'll be spending extra on a G-Sync/Free-sync monitor.
Pretty much limiting yourself to a set hardware with very little flexibility.

is upgrading from a 2600k worth it now?

FreeSync?

does anyone have the funny pc specs image/s? it was basically someone running on a zx spectrum

that seems fine, what more do you want? modern games are all pure trash so long as your pc can run dosbox what/s the problem?

To what?
Upgrading your intel CPU right now would be a bad idea in general.

Yeah, I was looking into getting a 144hz nonTN monitor sometime in the future and can't go with either of the manufacturer sync because Gsync is way too expensive for what I want (not spending fucking 800+ on a single monitor) and I'm not ever using AMD ever again for GPUs until they get their shit together for emulation so never.

I'll be waiting another gen or two but everyones needs are different, are there things that run like shit / are frustrating due to CPU?

what do you do on this forum if you havent played a videogame after 2000 grampa?

The system he is talking about can run most modern games without much effort at 720p.

talk shit about games you never played like the rest of Holla Forums, obviously

Did you just say you were playing games? What a retard. Go away, kid.

Read'em and weep boys

Decent build but nothing to write home about.
I didn't know such a beat existed.

GPU is for sure a bottleneck for me right now. Most games are struggling to get me 30fps. It makes me sad.
I've had the same "base" computer since 2008 and just been patching parts into it as needed, but sort of want to just get a whole new one and re-purpose this as a HTPC or something.

I can only play Ultima 7 and Ultima Underworld so many times before the craving 2b's butt in max resolution.

*beast

Vast majority of 144hz monitor come in that resolution right now.

why does speccy sees 1070 as 4gigs card when it has 8gigs of ram?

There you go.

Speccy issue, CPU-Z reports 8gb.

why stop at 144hz?

also what kind of CRTs are you all running?

>>>/cuckchan/

eh gets the job done

She gets it handled. Honestly I haven't been gaming as much as I used to and she just runs as a media server. But 1080 144 is sexy enough as it is.

I want this meme to die. I worked in a graphics design company that used CRTs for true color display and they sure as fuck weren't the 20yo $200 CRTs Holla Forums likes to boast about.

sheesh what are we cooking?

that iiyama is about 12 years old, CRT is better by the way.

Honestly the ie is there because I have about 6 GB of RAM worth of tabs open in Chrome. I use it for emergency googling when in game.

I'm building a new PC soon. Soon in like one or two months. I'm with a lot of cash to spend on this one so I'm thinking about building a system with a GTX 1080ti for 1440p/2160p gaming.

The problem is the processor. Coffee lake seems underwhelming for the price, especially since I'm forced to buy an overpriced z370 board. Thus I'm leaning towards a Ryzen build. Will the Ryzen 1600 be a good enough companion to a top end card or I will have to go with the 1600X? Should I go all out and break the bank on a Threadripper? Multithreaded performance is kinda important to me because I work with Photography/Design shit, but it isn't paramount.

why

I feel bad telling anyone not to buy AMD because that won't help them catch up but see

to the newest gen of chips, not really keeping up on development since it seemed there wasn't really an improvement for gaming.

not really no, but i really wanted to stock up on ram and replace the mainboard. so i've been waiting for an actual upgrade to replace everything.

Before stocking up on RAM look at where DDR5 is at please use archive.is/gadgets/2017/03/next-generation-ddr5-ram-will-double-the-speed-of-ddr4-in-2018/

Well fuck, basically DDR5 will probably hit servers late 2018 and consumers in 2019.

1440p (QHD) @ 144 are available now, and 3840p (UHD) @ 144Hz is just around the corner now.

I have 1440p @ 144Hz, I just didn't know they were doing it in 1080p.

The thing is that I absolutely have to upgrade though. My processor is an i5 750 from 2009 and it is clearly showing its age on performance, but most importantly, I'm stuck without USB 3.1, M2 slots and a lot of other good shit on the chipset department.

all i need is a racing wheel + pedals.
also a lot more hard drives.

My point is AMD is miles behind intel, do a price / preference comparison in your price bracket and keep in mind my 6yo intel in only ~5% slower single core than the fastest AMD on the market.

you can always find good Intels for cheap on ebay, but i always have trouble finding compatible motherboards and if i do they cost as much as new unless i go for some chink tier brand, another thing is that RAM is always a bitch to pair with older systems

I would never bother with second hand RAM, pay for some matched sticks and save a lot of headache. As for MBs I haven't done a build in 6 years so didn't know they were expensive now.

What I hate is the fact that if I go Intel I will be stuck with Coffee Lake forever because Cannon Lake will be not compatible with the $200 z370 motherboard they forced me to purchase.

Fuck, why AMD are such failures? They let Intel keep getting away with this bullshit.

What Linux distro are you guys running? Dual boot or entirely free?

Neck yourself.

No linux at all.

I no longer have enough free time to have my work and entertainment machine needing tinkering with on a dialy basis.

reminder that gay intel/amd meme was flipped on its head hard this year

(Note my niggas- I'm talking about halfchan /g/)

It'd be nice to get some solid keyboard and mouse suggestions that aren't /g/ meme products or trying to ruse you into buying garbage for funny laughs. I want stuff that works well but doesn't wear out in 6 months or have obnoxious price spiking LEDS all over.

I got meme'd into getting a steelseries mouse- The rubber padding on the side despite being kept immaculately clean has a thumb hole worn in already.

Also sidenote- I swear /g/ is also entirely retarded when it comes to tech in general. They nearly jerked their collective dicks off saying "There is no such thing as micro stutter" for dual GPU cards- Lo and behold 2 years later no one makes dual GPU cards because of the fucking micro stutter.

Protip: If you want to compare GPUs and CPUs, Use userbenchmarks (The passmark ones are good for a LOOSE idea of performance but they are also entirely synthetic benches so some shit doesn't match up.)

That and common sense goes a long way. Because otherwise everyone will brand slap fight and give you cherry picked horse shit.

windows 10 on my SSD, debian on my HDD. I admit I don’t use linux as much as windows, but if reactOS ever figures out directx I’ll switch to that.
I learned the hard way dualbooting on a single hard drive is a bad idea.

Intel management are human garbage and openly cooperating with the NSA to implement hardware spyware, I think we agree on this.
Now find me an AMD CPU that is ranked in the top 20 of all CPUs for single core performance, hell have the top 30.

Intel are evil as fuck and don't care about the customer, AMD open sources some great technologies and is a force for good in computing. Sadly AMD can not complete on a technical level and are so far behind intel it's hard to justify them for anything but applications where performance isn't an issue, this is Holla Forums and our shared hobby has a habit of pushing hardware to it's limits.

It is true, we ARE surrounded by retards.

I can vouch for the G203 I bought recently, it's an excellent mouse for the price.

On the bright side only one of the speccy caps shows win10, we still aren't half/v/.

the only games that would benefit from this will already be running at your monitors maximum refresh rate, and most applications are becoming increasingly multithreaded. If you get Intel now, you are upgrading yourself into a brick wall with the only solution being an entirely new motherboard, (likely) ram, and a new processor for any meaningful upgrades. Don't be that retard.

Or you know Emulators, the only reason to buy a high end CPU in the first place?

well, if you want an inferior experience, be my guest.

Don't forget anything with physics simulation that can't be shared over multiple cores without inducing instability like ARMA, KSP, BeamNG or Universe Sandbox.

Just let the IPC circlejerking continue while they pay much more for marginal 5-10% framerate improvements at 1080p

Unless you're one of those idiots trying to emulate BoTW you can play ANYTHING worth playing with a 2500k, so you have no argument.

Ok then, find me an AMD in the top 30 for multicore preformance.

Personally I bought a logitech g400s and I've used it for something like 5-6 years now, I think I bought it for 34€ so I'd say its performed admirably for the price.
15 dollarydoo keyboard has lasted me 6 years so far and I've got nothing bad to say about it.
It's not that hard my man.

I dont know about you but a lot of games still fail at using all cores.
Personal experiences include divinity original sin 2, arma 3 and stalker games too to if I'm not wrong.

Except in real world shit that's not happening? The top user benchmarked CPUs right now- The only one in the top 10 is an 800 dollar threadripper getting blown the fuck out by a 300 dollar CPU

You know what you're talking about- Intel are fucking skeezy kikes but they did smart decisions and R&D and are running almost unopposed for it. Since they control and own their own fab processes and can adapt and invest in it whenever they feel like.

AMD rested on their bargain power laurels too soon and didn't adapt to the changing market worth a shit. So they never bothered getting their own fabrication processes and relied entirely on third parties who aren't going to aggressively upgrade or experiment like a more privately owned one would- so they had to fall into the "Add more cores" meme to compensate.

Not to mention them being legally toothless and it took consumers to point out the whole "Compilers biasing against AMD" fiasco that was outed a while back and userfix it before anything even came of it.

It's like they know the deck is stacked against them and droop their heads, look towards their feet and go "Okay…" Instead of working two steps head to subvert being sabotaged either by themselves or intel.

try finding me another engine from 2001 that's got good multicore support
try finding me another engine from 2002 that's got good multicore support
looks like its getting 90fps on max settings with ryzen so im not sure what your issue is.

mm yes, real world shit like well, anything mutlithreaded. by all means, invest in intel, they've been releasing so many promising products this year alone, how can anyone not have the utmost confidence in their next generation hardware that surely won't abandon the current socket type to keep up with amd?

Ignore the shitty monitor, that and the DVD writer are the only things I kept from my old CPU.

considering ARM processors are getting more attention, it’s hard to see much more games optimizing for multicore.
Maybe there is something to the single core meme.

The 7900X is a joke

If I wanted the inferior experience I would've bought a Ryzen CPU.

BotW isn't even one of the most CPU intensive games to emulate. Try Persona 5 or Shadow of the Colossus.
I noticed your weasel term of "ANYTHING worth playing" so I wouldn't be surprised at you moving goalposts.

Or single core.

Or multi core.

Or with multi-threading off

Literally there are no categories outside of large scale media work or compiling that the most expensive threadripper CPU excels at. That's it.

mass file conversion/compression and audio and video production and compiling is the only wheelhouse they have.

Just listed games from the top of my head since those are the ones I've been playing recently.

Divinity runs well but is also weird since I get stutter if I dont limit my fps to 60, could be my monitor but I highly doubt that since a lot of other games work fine, I'm pushing 140-160 in rainbow six siege but it isnt causing any problems.

Who knows, I personally wish there would be more comptetitors since its not good for the users that one company dictates the pace and prices of tech.

Right now load the last 5 games you played and open the hardware monitor, unless you only play AAA trash I guarantee atleast 2 will be 80%+ on a single core.

I wish multicore and Vulkan were supported everywhere but they just aren't.

Everyone knows that's not what matters when comparing CPUs

cpubenchmark.net/cpu_value_available.html#xy_scatter_graph

You can compare 6 to 6 cores all you want but the pricing is so drastically different you look like a dumbass doing it.

IT COSTS HALF AS MUCH FOR ROUGHLY 10-15% PERFORMANCE LOSS

I don't like RGB LEDs, I don't like acrylic window panels, I hate branded GAEMRZ aesthetics. Give me a no nonsense workstation business box look anyday.

Post the CPUs you are talking about when you say "IT COSTS HALF AS MUCH FOR ROUGHLY 10-15% PERFORMANCE LOSS".
What AMD CPU costs half as much as which Intel CPU with only a 10-15% performance loss?

That graph is worthless.
A Xeon E5-2670 isn't even close to a good value CPU.

It is embarrassing in the industry that almost nothing except a small handful of industrial tools properly utilizes multi-cores fully when they've been around for so long now.

You think that there'd be a "Screw it" meet in the middle solution at this point where software support is irrelevant and it just works in a different way to utilize the neglected cores in tandem somehow.

the joke is you can’t compare multithread performance to single core, because programs use processors differently.

Currently load sharing is really fucking hard, you have to be very careful to not split a single operation and instead complete seperate operations at the same time. This is counter to the entire history of game development where everything is handled a frame at a time.
Hopefully some genius comes along, finds a solution and open sources it to game engine designers.

I know that all too well and so few things utilize multicore well I would rather have 4 fast cores than 10 slow ones.

There is a limit to how much stuff can be parallelized using multiple cores and there will come a point where you'll be spending a core just to calculate and synchronize all the calculations done by the different cores so the performance increase is never going to be equivalent to just increasing the base clockspeed.

Programing is haaaard

Ryzen 1600 against the i5 8400 or similar setups.

Truth is nowadays GPUs are much more important to games and CPU development has slowed down so much that you'd do much better should you save on the processor to invest on a good graphics card. At 1440p or more the diferences are marginal.

Nani the fuck?

does DOS2 use a lot of middleware? this tends to create issues with scaling in framerate.

Xubuntu Core on a craptop that i use to emulate NES or SNES games on a TV, this shit can't even run Manjaro with all the bloat it has, can't even run GBA games.

Manjaro as a second boot option on my desktop, i boot to this when i don't feel like playing games or just want to play emulators, too bad wine still has a couple problems with CEMU or PCSX2

Performance loss is unacceptable, i'd rather pay $60 more for that permanent extra 15% or even 25% with a safe overclock than living the next 2 years in a "what if" constant thinking. I ve spend more in worse stuff than that.

Credit where it's due, in that price range AMD is doing well. I wasn't aware because I have always enjoys physics intensive games and wouldn't consider a CPU that slow.

Dunno if want to upgrade or simply sell the first rig.

Why do you need two? Whenever I do a new build my old one becomes the media center or my gf's office computer.

use it for shitcoin mining and hope one of the scamcoins becomes somewhat profitable and sell for like 200$ each time

As a former 3x R9 280 miner I warn everyone that considers it it's a complete waste of time and money.
It was barely profitable 3 years ago and the situation hasn't improved as more normalfags get into crypto.

If you think a shitcoin has potential just buy $10 worth and sit on it.

I've been hearing that for at least a year now, how Vulkan is a game changer that will save anime and shit. So what's the real situation with it.

Ryzen 5 1600X or Ryzen 7 1700?

The 1600X is going for 849 here, and the 7 1700 has two more cores and four more threads is going for 999,90, which is a tiny price difference for this hardware diference.

My question is if it's better to have just a 5 1600X for gaming, seeing as I won't use my future build for anything else than that.

PS.: I'm probably gonna pair it with an RX 580, I want to get a freesync monitor.

Imagine better performance than DX12 on any OS you want without nVidia tricky fucking over AMD.
It's fucking awesome but Microsoft, nVidia and Intel have a vested interest in it failing so offer studios free assistance in optimizing for Windows / Intel / nVidia on the condition that they don't support Vulkan.
As most normalfags have no idea about this or what it means the devs don't fear bad PR and sign over their souls.

Unless the AMD processors are sufficienly cheaper then the intel stuff is a better pick, just keep in mind AMD tends to stick with sockets for decades while Intel changes them out every gen, so there's no upgrade path for you with them.

Oh and get some very good cooling if you're going with an intel processor, maybe consider delidding if it's OC'd or hot enough.

I have the 1600X. The 1600 non-X makes more sense. It comes with a cooler, and with overclocking the extra stock frequency and XFR the 1600X has don't matter. Don't ask me how it performs for games because I only use it to shitpost, encode webms, and read VNs.

Yes, that is one of the points that make me consider the 7 1700 as well, it comes with a cooler and I've been reading about the XFR and the performance gain isn't that much.

Have you had any cons with this processor so far?
And have you had any issues with mobo or memory compatibility? I've read some cases where it happens, but it seemed to be related to early adoption.

If you're still buying x86 you deserve that NSA spying.

Just get the fastest memory possible within budget (2800-3200 seems the sweet spot), a b350 mobo or better and a hyper 212 for nostalgia's sake.

Best priced ryzen processors are the 1200, 1600 and 1700 respectively for 4,6 and 8 cores, but the 1600 is the best value overall.

Check compatibility and do some research on your specific parts and you're set.

Fuck off Holla Forums, we need compatibility with software because we actually use our machines for more than just keeping our machines running.

As far as cons, the only annoyance I had was hard locks under Linux after about 1-2 days uptime, which was solved by disabling c-states in the BIOS settings. Might have been patched in newer kernels by now, I haven't checked. No problem with the RAM I got, which was this newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313712 on an Asrock AB350 Pro4. Just loaded the SPD profile and off it went at 3200.

When it happens to you, remember, it always was, and is, your fault.

What are you doing on Holla Forums?

Thanks, anons!

Fucking fuck. Figures some shady shit like that happens.

ARM is getting just as cancerous, OpenPower iirc is focusing largely on enterprise large scale market, so unless Talos considers offering a budget desktop option what do you propose as a solution.

What are you doing in Holla Forums?

Nice craptop you got there.

Playing BeamNG, arguably the most advanced softbody physics game at 1440p / 144 fps.
You don't hate TECHNOLOGY do you?

But those look like dogshit user.
What's the point of maxing out the game at that framerate if the picture looks awful.

I didn't think I would have to explain this but the image I posted isn't a screencap I took, thus why it isn't 1440p…..

By "those" I meant the 144hz 1440p monitors.
I know that's not your screencap, it's fucking 1080p
Not to mention the fact that taking a screencap would do jack shit at showing the screen quality of your monitor.

How dumb are you?

I have the XB270HU and I'm happy with it. If you are into reaction based games (fighting / driving ect.) I highly recommend a 100Hz+ monitor. I didn't think I would notice much difference but now I can tell if a game in install has Vsync on by default within seconds of loading it due to stuttery 60fps movement.

Solid lappy you got there m8. I have pretty much the same thing but a gen behind. Not that it matters much when Kaby Lake has identical IPC to Skylake but the GTX 970M is the real weak point here. The 10 series mobiles are identical chips to the desktops but the 9 series is a bit different. I recon I'm closer to a 750 in performance but still not too shabby. Next upgrade will personally be an M.2 SSD as I don't think I need more RAM

I've never gone past 75hz so I'll have to trust you on that one, but I can't imagine you'd see much of a difference with the average reaction time being well above 200ms and the frames being 16ms already at 60fps. Maybe for tracking or smoothness, but not reacting.

Also, to keep the speccy screencaps up, my shitbox.

thanks but as I mentioned this shit
happened to my display and my autism cant handle it, so Im hoping warranty will cover it

That is the main thing, I play a lot of racing games and get consistently better times ~120 fps. I would have the film myself to be sure but I think I make a lot more smaller inputs while in a turn as it's easy to quickly tell if you are cutting or running wide.

My craptop.

That shit would drive me up a fucking wall too. I've had a lot of laptop screen get water damage mostly from my OCD needing to clean the screens with a liberal amount of alcohol but it was usually cheap-ass laptops anyways so I just dealt with it. I'd return that shit too if that happened to this screen. Now I just use screen wipes to clean this screen every once in a great while

in retrospect I should have just checked the temperature

What's your card? I hope this shit never happens to me but I hear newer graphics cards have much more aggressive thermal throttling to save themselves from this shit and hopefully extend their lifespan. Nvidia GPUs have a thermal limit of 75 degrees C for example unless you override it

Could be a dead PCIe slot

it was probably my ocd too, when I tried to clean the other side of the screen, right where the logo is and probably pressed against it or some shit, but Im not sure, as I was extra careful with it. The pixels are ok, it looks like the backlight is pressed or bent, either way, I hope the service and repair center wont charge me for that and just repair it. I could just swap it myself with the new display but that would void my warranty so thats not an option as something else might broke.

A radeon 380X I got new for peanuts a month before the 400 series dropped. Plays everything worth playing on high, less noisy than the case fans, no complaints.

Its plugged in the same slot as usual with no problems now, it was literally just the cpu paste.

Yeah I misread your post

They do but Nvidia cards in particular basically don't heat up, I don't think I've ever seen my 1070 over 55°C most of the time the fans don't even turn on even.

I'm always careful to keep my hand on the other side of the screen when wiping it for that very reason, too much flex to feel comfortable putting any kind of pressure against it. I hope the repair process goes well user

My RX570 doesn't go above 62ªC and the ambient here is rarely below 34ºC so I think it's GPUs in general; RX VEGA notwithstanding.

thanks m8 i hope it will go well and fast too. I gotta get one of those aluminium briefcases for it when it comes back, just to be sure.

kill you'reselve

repairing it myself would cost me extra money as well as a warranty. Also, no curryniggers where I live.

Manjaro, technically I have dualboot set up but I haven't booted into windows in ages and I don't intent to change that. KDE can throw some odd quirks now and then but I am not really eager to hop to another one.

YOU HAVE TO GO BACK FAGGOT

i5 7600k @ 4.2-4.8GHz (depending)
16GB DDR4 @ 3.3GHz (roughly, I forget)
EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (don't remember the clock speed)
500GB 960 EVO
256GB 950 PRO
Several mechanical drives for storage
Windows 10 (use it at work, getting certified in it, plz kill me)

If it isn't obvious, I haven't played much vidya lately.

It's no meme, CRTs are definitely better… to handle low-def signals. Classic consoles and so on.

You're too nice, user.

BULLSHIT OF THE HIGHEST ORDER
pcpartpicker.com/product/HWrcCJ/crucial-mx300-20tb-25-solid-state-drive-ct2050mx300ssd1?history_days=730
~$500 (best price was ~$460) for 2TB SSD.

doesn't by the time you fill a little more than 1 tb of data on that ssd, it slows down

Who here /whitepower/?

Thank god for wine.
Euro Truck Sim 2
EYE
Torchlight 2
Mafia
Freelancer

these work really well and more to come as I test even more games.

I didn't realize you fags were still running DOS software. Did you try the latest Lotus 1-2-3? It supports protected mode!

Second one is for my second monitor. Figured it'd be easier if I just put in a cheap GPU to power it.

There are good CRTs and bad CRTs. I'm sure you would love a high quality CRT.

Fun fact, OP. This post basically saved your thread. It was an extremely generous interpretation of you being an oldfag who forgot himself as opposed to being the newfag from halfchan that you probably are. All it would've taken were a few people shitting on you for 4faggotry and your thread would've died in a torrent of dubs and sages.

spent $650 building this PC last month. I think I did good for the price.

I built my computer about two years ago and haven't upgraded it once. I don't think I've been interested in a single game that's required me to get new hardware. This thread just reminded me that I seriously need to dust my fucking computer.

I built 6 years ago and finally replaced the GPU 1 year ago. If you time it right a decent build will last a long time these days but I miss the rapid improvement of the 90s and 00s.

Just waiting for the upcoming AMD APUs with Ryzen Architecture to put together a PC. the A12 APUs could even run DOOT with decent RAM, so I know I won't need anymore than that. AMDGPU is supossedly pretty good on Linux, so I'll go with that.

Meh, it was exciting times sure but my wallet appreciates the more current era where even an offlease workstation from 3 years ago can be had for fairly cheap and serve as an easy turnkey machine with a few simple upgrades. Like a decent enough GPU and SSD.

While it saves a fortune I still get annoyed that in the last 6 years CPU performance hasn't doubled. I run into CPU related slowdown in several games (love muh physics) and between dedicated physics cards going the way of the dodo and CPU improvement grinding to a halt there isn't a viable solution under $2,000.

Also got a cherry MX brown KB, G602, and some bretty good cans to go along with it.

tbh 3x r9 280 is nothing, ASIC miners cost about $2000 and do 10 times the work of an rx 480 and yet you will barely make over $100 in "profits" per month.

I didn't even bother investigating how do you actually turn bitcoins into real cash in your hands.

looks like a medical machine

3 years ago it was pretty good and I wanted to mine several algorithms rather than the single algorithm ASICs allow.
ASICs were already dominating SHA-256 and Scrypt ASICs were just entering the market so going with a GPU based miner was the most profitable option at the time.

Might be running into the physical limits of silicon as well, but most of that stuff is beyond my paygrade. I just hope if the tech goes post silicon, there will be more competition in general in the market. That and hopefully bring about real open hardware solutions.

Once you disable/block all the telemetry in 10, it's really not that bad. Runs pretty damn fast and the search thing works immediately, while it took 15 seconds to give me results in Win 7. It also has disc image mounting built-in and it's ridiculously easy to use compared to 3rd party ones I used to rely on. And my taskbar duplicates across both screens without any questionably functional 3rd party dual monitor programs running.

This subject is uncommon on Holla Forums, compared to /g/.

The closest thing we have to true open hardware is expired patents, sadly. IBM's POWER architecture is wonderful, but the OpenPOWER group is just a partnership program instead of an open design group, and AIX isn't going open anytime soon, either.

I upgraded to an 8350 from an 8320e, due to a cpu cooler switching 'accident' which broke some pins right off. Good news was I got a wraith cooler with the 8350 and so I basically upgraded two things and I've put the massive fuckup behind me. Won't upgrade for at least 3 years now, because nearly everything in my backlog can be played on max setting with current setup with a 4GB 380.

With the current state of triple ayy gaymes, I'm in no rush to upgrade.

Image failed to upload

You literally can't
The OS is built in a way for that to be completely impossible.

Pretty good, except for the 1TB HDD
1TB will run out really quickly and 2TB or even 3TB aren't too much more

What did you do?
Those pins are pretty sturdy

It really is.
Usually matches windows performance in games with decent linux ports

does amdgpu allow you to not stretch or scale the output?

Which GPU doesn't allow that?

I think there was an user that said he figured out how to turn 10Pro version into LTSB, but unless you have the Enterprise\Education\LTSB edition, you're never 100% sure whether it's truly disabled or not. Pro and Home10 is treated as a guinea pig version so the testing and feedback gets put into the Enterprise version, MS almost brags about it.

Yeah shit's kinda fucked in a lot of ways right now.

Base Game:
4TNA7-DDGJW-FXCBQ

DLC:
5D4JV-MHQBL-L4Y8I

There is no way to disable it.

I don't remember if it was anandtech but some site monitored outgoing data with all the telemetry and all the other bullshit turned off. It still sends mbs of audio and video (if you have a webcam) and other text data to microsoft and other servers every few minutes.

Thanks user! I nabbed the DLC, but the base game might still be there if someone wants it. Hacknet is f u n

Oh shit, thanks user I took the Base Game

What sort of hardware am I looking at for something that can handle BotW in 1080p@60FPS? I've finally wagecucked enough to have enough money for a decent PC and I'm wondering what special considerations (if any) I should consider when putting something together.

I'm considering Rizen for my next build since it actually has solder under the lid and I can get 6 cores 12 threads + more PCI-E lanes for cheaper. The limited lanes on intel right now is a fucking travesty with all the NVMe SSDs that need those lanes and the performance with their cheap TiM degrades over time.

However, I hear it's really fickle with memory and once you get it working don't touch anything or it won't boot. I have a kit of memory that should hopefully work with it, but it probably won't then I'll be forced to spend more on working memory.

If I have to buy memory again for Rizen, memory that would otherwise work with Intel, I wonder what would be cheaper.
Rizen + Memory or Intel + Delidding Kit

I'm pretty sure a delidding kit is cheaper than memory right now. Even with higher cost of Intel it would even out if I can use memory I already have.

Generally speaking, a higher CPU frequency favors games more than a greater # of threads whereas greater # of threads favors production workloads for content creation.

Can a memory kit destroy your new very expensive CPU? Will it void your warranty?

Hopefully replacing my laptop with a new mini-ITX build soon as it's much easier to upgrade and can have better cooling.

Still waiting for the year of the linux desktop

7700K, 8700K and 8600K don't have a bunch of capacitors on the lid side like other CPUs thus are not super dangerous to delid. There are delid kits as low as 50 bucks whereas RAM prices have been shit for a long time now.

Blame the faggots that feel the need to have SSDs on everything for no discernible reason.

And as for the memory, you can check online on both the motherboard and CPU makers for a compatibility list, but otherwise a current Mobo with an up to date Bios means there's basically no chance to get memory incompatibility.

I checked that already. I can't find my specific kit because it's 4 sticks and the mobo only supports 2 sticks, but I saw similar kits so it might work. If not, I have yet another kit I can swap off another board. I did find it on the list, but it says ver5.30 after the model so I dunno if that's the memory model or a reference to the motherboard's BIOS version.

I will probably go with Rizen for the sake of trying to save money and having more lanes for NVMe + GPU. I highly doubt I couldn't get at least one out of the two sets of RAM I have working on it. I just hope it isn't shit for emulators. It is clocked lower and so many people optimize their code for Intel putting AMD at a disadvantage.

Aim of the buy is to get the best possible new stuff while using parts I already have to save money. I have a lot of spare parts and systems I can take parts from. As seen here: I have three working computers (there's also another older laptop I don't use at all) Will be selling some parts as well to fund new Mini-ITX build. If I can't sell those then the new build will not happen for a long while.

If you HAVE to have the best single core performance then Intel is the name of the game, really. Ryzen is sufficient for basically anything else but the cores just don't clock that fast.

Downsides of that are as you mentioned, lack of PCI lanes, dead end socket and the need to delid or ludicrous cooling, not to mention the prices. Personally I'd feel like a huge idiot for giving intel money and getting shafted that hard since they're still charging that much for what's at best a 5% performance increase and generally an actual loss over their last gens, so just get a 7700k or 7600k and OC the shit out of it if the core count is not a problem.

I'm gettting an 8320 next month. It will be OC'd. That will top off my beloved ancient PC in upgrading and hopefully Linux desktop will come out so I don't have to get MicroShafted after a few years.

I don't think anyone is, the only game that I play that causes my build to struggle is Dark Souls 3, and it still looks really good even on medium-high settings.

Postan.

I'm aware of the importance of IPS; what I was looking for was recommendations. Are there certain lines of CPU that are noticeably better than others in this regard at a similar price point?

The 8600K is actually cheaper than the 7700K.
Intel i5-8600K 6 cores 6 threads 4.3GHz ~$280 on B&H
Intel i7-7700K 4 cores 8 threads 4.5GHz ~$300 on Ebay
On the AMD side:
Ryzen 7 1700X 8 cores 16 threads 3.8GHz ~$302 on Newegg
Ryzen 7 1700 8 cores 16 threads 3.7GHz ~$280 on Ebay
Ryzen 5 1600X 6 cores 12 threads 4.0GHz ~$220 on Ebay
Ryzen 5 1600 6 cores 12 threads 3.7GHz ~$195 on Ebay

I will be using a shitty air cooler initially until I can put better cooling in it so I doubt I'll overclock until then. If I can manage it I'll put the CPU and GPU on water later on, but for that I'd rather have a higher-end GPU worth putting on water instead of the spare GPU I'll be putting into it initially. It should only be running 1080p though, so probably not worth it to get a ridiculous GPU on water just for that. Having it on water though would be nice since it's meant to replace the gayman laptop which only has decent temps when you crank the fans to max. If I get a Mini-ITX build on water then I shouldn't have to listen to screaming fans like I do with the laptop, temps will be vastly superior and hardware will be easier to swap for upgrades.

What games can even take advantage of ryzen?

i'm only just looking into upgrading my cpu again, so i haven't done nearly enough research into what's available.
how do the ryzen 9s do for gaming performance?

So do a lot of people here not realize Holla Forums has /g/ board?

you mean Holla Forums?
it's just too slow, that's my only complaint about it.

I was just commenting on people going

Do I need to upgrade anything other than GPU?

I think I've given up on new hardware. Most of what I've done over the past few months is rebuild old systems. Dragging my feet on getting a set of CF cards to sort my 486 and Pentium systems out.

Maybe an SSD for the OS if you don't have one otherwise not really.

how much space does win10 take on SSD?

suka blyat

I'm going to guess the same as it would on a mechanical HD with the other specs the same. At least that's what it looked the last time I installed win10 for someone.
If you really have to use win10, at least try to get the Enterprise LTSB version. MS made the Pro and Home10 the
edition.

Honestly I got it through Intel Retail Edge so it was a better deal than buying an i5 at the time.

yeah, like the thread, lets talk about

controllers

how do you feel about them, recently went on a console/emulation binge and surprinsingly got gamecube/PS1-2 working flawlessly,
even with my trashy generic dualshock gamepad, event with working rumble
but when going to play steam games that support it (which is rare) the even rarely have working rumble, whats the deal?

also it techinically doesn't allow support threads, which kinda defeats most of the purpose

well that tower is a pretty sexy piece, but far from a humble workstation machine
the lenovo though is alright, but far too small to house a beefy PC

also, gonna be needing sauce on the hentai

DS3 user reporting in, you can download a utility called "SCPServer" that connects your controller to XInput, which is what a lot of PC games and emulators use. It works really well, just follow the top Jewtube tutorials on setting it up.

IIRC it's one of the HP, Z workstation. Most of HP consumer stuff is barely average to near garbage except when it comes to their business grade stuff.
Yeah it's a SFF, so there's definite dimension and it's PSU limitation. (Single slot halfheight GPU only most if not all the time with them). That said a decent off lease refurb + budget GPU that fits can make for a pretty good sub 200-300 roll your own steambox type machine. I put together something similar for someone recently and they're happy with it, they only play e-sports titles on PC and the rest of their gayming they do on a console.
Forgot the name of the actual mango but artist is Oda-Non.

How shit is it?

You need to replace your CPU, GPU, RAM, and MOBO along with SSD!

Here are my recommendations.
CPU: Intel i9 or xeon
GPU: Nivida quantro
Ram 64GB of ddr4
Anything that supports your new intel CPU
intel branded SSD so you can boot from a raid 0 drive on your new CPU.

Any questions can be handled by my fellow intel sales members.

ahah nice one user… I forgot to tell you though, I'm on linux
and besides, as I've described, my controllers work flawlessly on emulators

White Pride Worldwide
I have a Fractal R5 in white, but I broke the fucking window. I need to modify the side panel, expand the opening and put in a larger tempered glass window like the Paul's Hardware guy did to his R5.

Either that, or I'll swap the hardware into a BeQuiet Darkbase Pro 900 (white edition) since it can accommodate 420mm radiators. There are so few white cases that look nice and can have big radiators like that. I liked the simple aesthetics of the NZXT H340 Elite but the thing could only have one fan in the top which is kinda pathetic. The H700i is coming out to replace it and can mount more fans, but still no 420mm radiator support and they made the unforgivable decision to paint the interior of the white model in black.

>>>/halfchan/

user, we've got /g/ too. It's just dead as hell because people moved to >>>Holla Forums.

Yet nobody here has mentioned the Intel CPU change with Coffee Lake?
i3 from now on will have 4 cores, i5 and i7 get 6 cores from now on. i9 gets 8 cores, not that i9 matters.

i3 Coffee Lake was $110 the first day, but sold out and is now $180-200. $110 was a bargain for 4 cores, pretty much an i5 for $100. Not anymore though. I'm going to wait for Ice Lake probably in late 2018/19 for that nice architecture tock.

Still waiting for the next stupid Nvidia series. 1000 series is insanely old at about 18 months now. 1070 for $100 more than release date price 18 months ago, no thanks. Hoping the 2070 / 1170 will be sold within 4 months. Of course they aren't releasing it yet, zero competition, I hate this current GPU stagnation. It could go to 24 months for the next release.

You're going to be waiting for a while, Nvidia's CEO said in an interview that they're going to sit on it because Vega isn't threatening enough.

Sold my 290 during the mining boom for $300 and planned to buy a used 980 but I haven't played anything that could need it. Maybe I'll just save the cash for Zen 2.

Also 4K is the least of my concerns. I welcome the coming boom of 500hz 1080p monitors next year, strobe+GSync yes, both at once. Research is being done to strobe refresh at variable refresh rates (VRR is gsync), which achieves zero blur from frame to frame (a huge problem with LCD's up to 1khz refresh) just as good as CRT refreshes, and smoother than anything ever.

Will we ever get strobe + freesync?

Nice try intel.

finally replaced my monitor

That scaling is awful.

Are you talking about the image?

You should have gotten a better monitor.

Yeah, the screencap just showcases how bad Windows is with anything other than default scaling. Unless you made some weird edits, that's what I assume is causing the strangeness with the menu bar.

Like what?

Yeah I probably could have cropped it better, but I don't really give enough of a shit to get it right.

Rayzen (also threadriper which it is based off?) has AMD's version of it called "Platform
Security Processor". If that didn't exist I would have happy and quickly upgraded from my 8320 (currently running a 6200), however I don't see the fresh in 2018 changing much. It is a pain to try and find any motherboards for the "old" 25W dual core CPU to use a lowish powered server.

I can't believe I fell for the windows meme.

I don't get the torrent part, why would you need to do this if you are already trying to play the game's Windows version via wine? Also most of the time updates (if you are using a iso with a SP1/SP2[insert copout word here] and networking are uneeded for playing 99% of games. Polite sage for spoiling your rant.

I don't have windows isos lying around. Speaking of which, did you know that you can't just dd a windows iso onto a usb? It won't work. You need special software for their special snowflake isos.

Got this thing finally working after OS install issues, now ready to play at more than 25fps.
Built it about a week ago.

Bullshit that never happened for $5000, Alex.

Very nice system, but why aren't you using DDR4 2400, or if you are, why aren't you using a proper memory setting? Ryzen loves fast RAM.

1. its your own fault for still using grub ancient stuff
2. iknowright.gif windows is complete trash in regards to drivers, literally nothing works out of the box
3. what version were you using?
4. imagine trying to install win7 64 bit on EFI mode (it was a fucking nightmare)

Its the fucking best, I get linux and I get my fucking vidya.

The lengths that Linux fags go to, I swear…

It is using Windows but its making a compromise that doesn't give hardware access and you can control what goes in and out. Its what an Operating System should be.

But you CAN'T control what goes in and out, unless your CPU is 15 years old. I don't know if you know this, but every CPU has backdoors in them nowadays. The thing is, NOBODY FUCKING CARES ABOUT YOUR SYSTEM, SO IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Unless you're posting on a terrorism website the plans on how you want to rig up Washington DC with enough Semtex to blow up the White House nobody is even going to notice that you exist, you are so insignificant that it doesn't matter. And if you want control over Windows, it's simple, use Enterprise edition. Enterprise edition has the ability to turn off telemetry, it's been proven. But I guess you'll just say that them security experts are fucking shills and liars.

You can at least make an attempt to not have your userdata sold to the highest bidder. Cucks like you are why the computing market is full of this cancer. Instead of making an attempt to improve your computation you take the blackpill and stay inside your datamining bubble because the CPU is fucked. There is hope in the near future however if Libreboot is trying to get the X220 working properly without IntelME.

I know this question might seem stupid but I am being serious about it. A little over a year ago my nearly a decade old laptop died and I've been meaning to replace it and after doing day and night of research I came to the conclusion that this is laptop amazon.com/gp/product/B01DT4A2R4/?tag=lapninj-20&th=1 meets my requirements and my budget of under 600 and I was planning on downgrading to windows 7 ultimate, but I am looking for a second opinion since I saw some reviews talking about them being busted and cheaply made.I also know some of you will just say get a desktop but I don't have a the living space required for a desktop as a laptop already takes up a lot of space in my room.

TL;DR

I need help finding a "gaming" laptop for under 550$ maybe pushing it to 600$ because desktops are a no go for me

I'd love to adopt Ryzen, but sadly Intel has such a huge monopoly that compatibility is an issue. I work in design so I have to run OSX applications. I want to upgrade my i7-2600, but don't want to pay Intel's extortionate price tags.

what the fuck do you think passthrough is?

stop using duckduckgo

What's a moderately good GPU for under $200? Looking for big christmas gift ideas and gonna be selfish for once.

its the worst… seriously

Anyone have any decent 1440p monitor recommendations for a dual monitor setup? I currently only have a 1920x1080 single screen, but I don't think 4k is a viable option yet in terms of hardware. G-Sync would be nice but not necessary if it's going to add 300 shekels to the end price.
i56700/gtx 1080

does anyone actually use that shit?
does anyone actually use that shit?

I've been using StartPage. What's wrong with Ixquick, exactly?

Sorry for not bumping with a speccy, but can a GTX 950 and FX-8320 handle Wii U emulation or am I better off waiting until Christmas and maybe getting a new GPU then (assuming the aforementioned CPU doesn't bottleneck it)?

You're out of luck m8. Maybe you will be able to run stuff like sm3dw but don't expect games like both or xcx to be playable

Shit. Might have to settle for a Switch in the future after all. Hope the Splatfests are still going on by then.

You don't want a new GPU, you need a new CPU for emulation. FX-8320 is not very good for native PC games, let alone emulation.

I hear Ryzen is all the rage but I'm not about to replace the motherboard one year into my first build.

Definitely get a new CPU. The GPU should be more than enough. I can run CEMU easily on my Skylake i7 and GTX 970m

Ryzen would probably be worth that new motherboard if you're coming off of an FX-8320. Regardless, when compared to Intel, its the same story as ever really, you get better multicore performance but slightly worse single core performance. The difference here with Ryzen, and why its a big deal, is that the gap is significantly narrowed between the two as far as single core performance goes while Ryzen also being cheaper and having more cores in general. For emulation though I would still recommend an Intel CPU where single core performance is paramount

I'll keep this in mind in the event that the Wii U is inevitably sold (I'd hack homebrew into it but it isn't actually mine). Right now, emulating Breath of the Wild isn't the highest priority. Besides, I hear it runs better on the Switch. By the way, I hear there's another bundle coming out of Black Friday. How credible is that?

Anons, I'm in need of a new keyboard. Are there any really quality ones for under $100?

I was looking at this one for something compact. I don't like the font, but it's 70 bucks and backlit.
amazon.com/dp/B01872MCIA/

If you eventually want to fuck around with PS3 emulation, Ryzen is really good at that. It also has better vidya performance than Intel if you leave programs running in the background or if you're streaming/recording gameplay footage using the CPU and not the GPU.

Bump

Ryzen is good for RPCS3? Any sources on that?

I actually do want to run RPCS3 on my mini-ITX build so that would be great if Ryzen is good at it.

also, would like source on that or others to affirm it,
what about emulation on other systems, even PS2?
seems a good one to upgrade to, but needing to also upgrade motherboard, is basically getting a whole new PC (I'm on am3+)

why people trash so much on the FX series?
I got a FX6300 and they're pretty good at keeping it up
pretty good frequencies and cache

I've got an 8320e @ 3.6GHz. It does alright for Gamecube/Wii and PS2 emulation, but I think that's just about the limit. Apparenty CEMU can run too, but all the videos of it on FX CPUs have them overclocked to 4.5 GHz.