Non-youtube link
hooktube.com/watch?v=_s-kx2p_5Lc

*slaps your bossgals ass

I never played apocalypse, sounds like its a good time to start
Kek

I can't wait for the mods tbh. modded x-com looks really good

Any good mod bundles for Open-Xcom?

yeah Xenonauts is good

There is the final modpack which adds a shitload of stuff.

Awesome! I didn't realize it was so far along! I was expecting another year or two before I could get an alpha version. The only reason Apocalypse wasn't the best X-Com was the fact that it was released unfinished. I'm excited to see what people do with it.

Xeno Operations may be abandoned but it's the most solid vanilla-like total conversion that's really good.

XPiratez used to be fun before it became less about creating an extensive universe and more about trying to poorly jam features and mechanics into a game that are not only anti-fun, but don't even fit.

Final Mod Pack is a huge extension to the vanilla game, but the mashup of mods is of questionable quality.

Pick one of those three and go with it. I'd recommend Xeno Operations. It's the only mod that I've enjoyed enough to complete the mission to Cydonia, twice. Final Mod Pack is muddled with the way research works. XPiratez is more of that but with a real shit-feeling end game and real depressing early game, the only fun being in the middle.

You lying son of a bitch.

I like a lot of the new shit but some is just there to be a roadblock. IF you wear heavy armor in a hot environment you take stun damage and other gay shit.0 So much for being a mutant right? Also as your gals get exp they will start taking a salary, my reward for keeping their asses alive is now I have to pay a shitton for them. Doesn't seem very piratey. I like a lot of shit he made, all the lore entries, the new missions and units. Its getting bloated out the ass though.

Why do you guys not like Xenonauts?

Speaking of Xenonauts, what are some good mods you can recommend?

Whats this? A X-COM remake? Whats different?

Not a remake. Source port release for X-COM Apocalypse. This means that the comunity can now make mods and fix bugs with relative ease. If you liked Apoc then I would keep an eye on it.

Is that the one that's kinda like X-Files?

I wish I learned Apocalypse

Does anybody know where to get Xcom Terror from the depths?
Only torrent i found has 0 seeders and im unable to download it.

Sucks to be you fam

I could dump it later when I get home

Never mind i realized that you dont need TFTD to play openxcom

Shouldn't you be donating to a GDQ somewhere? Did you forget to take your hormones?

Going to call bull or nostalgia.
Xenonauts is a very interesting recreation, and a good base for a game better than Xcom, but it needs more polish. For instances, you can not see aliens moving into line of sight, only once they are standing(or moving from) in a line of sight block are they shown.

I'm sure you will.

You're probably thinking of X-Com Files, which is pretty decent as a pack.

As I'm on the topic, I'll just note that i've recently played through it, though it's not quite being complete yet (version 0.7ish right now if i recall correctly).
At first it can really feel like a new way to play as you start out as a small group more akin to a subdivision of the FBI than XCOM, and have to work your way up (hopefully before the invasion begins). But as it goes on, it does suffer from research bloat and repetitive missions, which isn't surprising considering that the guy who made the FMP and dioxine from xpiratez are working on it. In any case, it's a cool mod and worth a try.

Where can you find it? I looked at the mod page and couldnt find it.
Also is there like an unfucker nod for xpiratez the removed tedious shit? I dont mind a lot of the stuff but I get burnt out by the second year of doing the same shit.
Maybe I just need to play vanilla again and blow away some aliens.

When apocalypse came out I remember being mad that it was total shit compared to the first two and ragequitting after an hour. Did I make a mistake and reject a good game?

It was pretty good. A bit unfinished and the endgame is a slog. TB and RT are balanced completely differently which is silly but makes for some extra replayability.

I have no idea what Im doing. Is it similar to xcom mostly?

The scope of Apoc is smaller but it is pretty similar still, the big feature for it is that it has real time or the traditional turned based mode to it.

what?

will upload a rar whit the gamefiles of Xcom and Terror form the deep at vola

If only the aestheics of he game weren't shit.

Troop armor and vehilces look like utter crap.

Why was nu-X-COM so shit? All they had to do was remake X-COM with more aliens and more mission types, and they fucked it up.

I think is has some of its own merrits but I would have just preferred x-com with moderd graphics bolted on.
That just means you can still make it yourself :^)
I played nucom first, enjoyed it a lot, then got into oldcom and haven't really looked back.

Yeah. I really like Apoc, it's my favourite of the classic X-COM games. But, most vehicles and armours look like absolute trash. The aliens look retarded as well.
At least most of the weapons look neat.

So xenonaughts 2 when? My only probably with this game or this genre is that they always had shitty armor and gun design. Also it was meh in upgrades. ie Human guns < futuristic human guns < plama guns etc it only had like 4 upgrades and really small upgrades. Wish the games had more depth in the world and in thing like this.

There's a demo up on GoG they make you download galaxy to play it though

I like how when it came time to make the "lifeform report" for their OC alien do not steal the Thin Men they just slapped a mock-up sprite together for their X-COM "archival image" because they knew their target audience wouldn't have actually played X-COM.

Firaxis have a design philosophy of building their game mechanics off of "baby's first X" board game prototypes. That was the case for Console X-COM, and I'd say that that, coupled with a console design philosophy, a complete lack of ambition, and a complete lack of care for the original (and especially a complete lack of care for the design accomplishments of the original - not to mention a complete lack of care for the art style of the original, or for any art style at all for that matter) were what came together to create Console X-COM.

See, when you make a spiritual successor to a game that came out twenty years ago you're supposed to be able to put everything that's gotten better over the last twenty years to use to make a game that's deeper than the original; that has more content than the original and that's realised more richly than the content in the original was; that has new mechanics to it that the original game's developers hadn't realised were the perfect logical conclusion to the mechanics of that original game. Xenonauts isn't like that.

I mean, Xenonauts isn't Console X-COM, but it's not actually anything that builds on X-COM either.

It seems like the devs are aiming to improve on the formula in Xenonauts 2, though. Hope they can make it into something interesting.

Also, I have a problem installing OpenXcom from Fedora repository. The repo itself is functional, but dnf reports that it can't find the package openxcom. Could someone help me troubleshoot this problem?

I feel like their US was always too bland.. the setting a bit as well, it did feel like it was kinda cold war bland but come on.

Important tech being gated behind RNG is such a drag, greatly so when its from a high ranking VIP. Feels like you are constantly twiddling your thumbs waiting for ships or missions that aren't shit tier bounties to pop up. Even with the giant weapon bloat I find myself using the same few guns/melee weapons and selling the rest as they just sit and don't do much. Plus early game is such a snoozefest and the recent update halves infamy gain from research makes it drag on even longer.
Then again I never really got past year 2 without getting burned out or bored, I wanted more missions like maidu mansion or simply raiding trader ships

it was supposed to be a joke tbh

consoles

which is funny because there is a sprite for it

The mod is infinitely better if you open up the map files in notepad and shrink pyramid maps to only 4x4 map blocks, but those missions are still cancer.

Everything is slower and nothing it changed from the X-Com formula was actually an improvement. Most of the changes were, "Hey, this wasn't explored enough in the original, so we're going to explore it in a pretty shitty way." Shootouts would last longer for no real reason. The maps were also designed really poorly. You'd land on a farmland with the UFO on the opposite side of the map with a handful of aliens outside of your ship. The entire map is just a maze of impassable hedges leading to the UFO with no enemy encounters that takes entirely too long to traverse. Entirely too many maps are like this.

It just wasn't fun and exposed too many flaws of the formula.

I liked Xenonauts. Scratched my itch for classic XCOM well enough, but I can definitely agree with a lot of anons here that it could use a bit of polish and some extra content.

Why?

I could handle a lot of bullshit in UFO defense/TFTD because it was most likely my fault, but in xenonauts, for it to be my fault I'd have to lower the bar for that to meaning getting out of the helicopter instead of leaving immediately

seriously, I can't even breach ships because aliens can and will be able to shoot you from angles you can't, which makes the game thoroughly unenjoyable

I have never played any x-com game and always fall asleep during any gameplay videos for the new X-com games.
Can anyone tell me if there are any games worth playing from this franchise?

What does everyone want to see in xenonauts 2? I do like that they are going to apparently overhual the air combat roll but wouldnt that make the game a bit too long imo?

Nigger what are you doing. Just go and download UFO Defense with OpenXcom or (if you like cock) NuCom. Go play them for yourself instead of asking faggots on the internet.
For fuck's sake.

Add more cool tech. I wasn't upset that there were no psionics for humans, I was just upset that there was nothing cool for me to use in its place. Give me more equipment like the riot shield. Things like manned/automatic turrets, proximity mines, scanning devices, flamethrowers, railguns, grenade launchers.
In short, give me more options.

What idiot thought this was a good idea? I don't even feel like a pirate anymore.

well well well

I always like reading postmortems and post-development interviews and I remember reading some cunt producer from nu-x-com that was really patting herself on the back for continually pushing the team to make more cutscenes of autopsies and the like.

I think the absolute stupidest decision (though there were many) was the encounter aliens cutscene.

The fact that aliens got a free move when you encounter them and the fact that they could not shoot before that, meant that you're forced to crawl every turn even more than in ordinary xcom. It also meant that pre-reveal flanking/positioning is kinda unnecessary.

Of course this would have resulted in a really slow game, so they get these gimpy game mechanics where you also have to hurry. The result is that there are very few choices to make at any given turn, and they're mostly risk/reward choices on whether you want to save some people or not, get some extra meld or not, etc.

It also means that unless aliens are revealed, it's actually a pretty good strategy to move your entire team the length of their half-movement per turn, not caring about cover, because as soon as aliens see you, they first run for cover and you get time to run for cover in your turn.

Furthermore, splitting your team and flanking is mostly discouraged by the game mechanics (and encouraged by the game tips), as when you run into another team, you are certain to immediately get 3 extra opponents, because for some reason they have to always move in teams.

AI reads raw map data in nu-Xcom meaning any flank you can set up, is useless because the AI will just hide behind the best cover against your troops, even your unknown troops.

But ya, agree with your post.

I remember that you can exploit that in Long War. You could creep up a concealment specced Scout and let him activate a pod. Said pod would set themselves up in relation to a target they couldn't actually engage often leaving them in a compromised position in relation to the rest of your team.

That's honestly the biggest flaw in Nu-Com. The pressure you feel is artificial. The game is designed poorly, making certain areas of a map veritable fortresses, enemies are incredibly manipulable, and other various issues that make the game retardedly simple once you realize that moving in a slow death ball is the only safe way to play. The timed missions and mechanics like meld only exist to try and apply pressure to a player.

To make flaws more apparent, Long War just made everything more dangerous, meaning that crawling, pulling, and turtling were even more useful. I can raid 5-6 UFOs in the same time frame that I can play a mission in Long War/a long mission in Nu-Com. The game isn't really hard, it's just fatiguing. You eventually start slipping up because you want to finish the damn missions faster.

None of this was fixed in Nu-Com 2. They just decided to turn the artificial pressure up further. They never addressed the core flaws of the game that were causing people to want to spend 10 times the amount of turns they wanted to on a mission.

I don't like the fact that some how some aliens can shoot behind the darkness. I get that if it's night it will be hard as shit to see enemies and the aliens have a massive advantage. But if it's broad daylight the missions should easier than the night missing because humans can see pretty well during the day. This does NOT happen in Xenonauts. Every mission feels like a night one. Like how can my guys not see down a flat farm field. I get that I has to do with the game mechanics or whatever but they should have done something else to fix it! In night missions you should get shots that come from the dark since Aliens have been known to operate in the dark. Why do you think all abudctions stories or UFO's mainly come from night? It's spooky and fits their theme.

What they should have done in Xenonauts is make UFO's mainly pop up at night. That when they are most active. Then break down the different groups of aliens by those that can operate mainly in either day or night. And those that operate better at night and avoid the day. So like Grey's and and Reapers are extra deadly at night etc.

My last problem with the series is that our new recruits and soldiers come from elite groups like Special Forces, Army Rangers, Navy Seals, Green Berets, SAS, Frogs, etc Yet when there is a enemy engagement at 10 yard or less they miss? What the fuck? Their aiming is really piss poor overall. I get it's mainly a game mechanics thing but seriously these are the best of the best in being a soldier and they suck at shooting. They need to really think about this and fix it. Most of the stuff I said applies to both series but mainly I play Xenonauts. Though I wanted to try out the original xcom games and I wanted to play the horrors of the deep one. The underwater spooky seems really spooky as shit but I heard the game enemy is really OP and piss hard to beat and unfair.

This. I had fun when I stopped giving a shit and kept breaking up my teams of low-levels. The research stuff was kind of frustrating sometimes, the timing didn't feel balanced with the urgency of missions, a few intermediate steps would've been good as it could've made some places a little harder instead of just rushing plasma and ruling the roost for a handful of missions before the end.

Is it the biggest flaw, or is it that the "randomness" is determined at the beginning of every encounter?

Trying to start playing terror from the deep, but whats a tutorial? It just had me place a base anywhere before I knew anything how to even move the map!

I hope Open-Apoc has as healthy of a modding community as UFOD.
The game's a fantastic base but it is severely lacking in content.

Read the fucking manual. This isn't some pansy game that holds your hand, you're expected to learn how the game works by reading the manual and through trial and error. If you thought Dork Souls was hard and didn't hold your hand then kill yourself think again, punk.

That said, TFTD is notoriously difficult. You may want to play UFO Defense first, not only so that you get your bearings but so that you can truly appreciate just how much the difficulty jumped between games.

General tips:

Why hasnt there been a game thats like this? Where you get like 20-40 secs to move each soldier? Sure the mechanics need some working to figure out whats a nice balance but this is a pretty neat concept.

Why would you want that? That's stupid as fuck.

Have you played a video game before? Either fuck around until you work it out or read the manual.
And why are you playing the sequel before the original game?

Anyone who starts their post with "see" instantly outs themselves as a massive homosexual.

Nigga play the first one first. TFTD is balls to the walls, there was a bug in the original that would kick the difficulty down to . After complaints the new team decided to make sure it was challenging.

Wasn't this the vertical slice firaxis gave to 2K when they started working on nu-Xcom?

they always ruin everything

Gift me x-com 2

Worms?

Will you suck my dick?

Don't forget about it's awesome destruction physics

I'm want to see how the interactions between the factions play out in Phoenix point before I get hyped for it

Yeah the engine is pretty limited on what you can do when out on missions, it'd need a pretty big overhaul for more interesting variety and hilarious hijinks.

Underrated post.

What game is that?

Gollops new game, I have been mildly interested in it since I saw the dev video. It looks like it might be the xcom system with a new coat of paint. Going to feature some randomized enemies like you see in that pic.

bump with dead memes

Imagine all the different penis type it could be rolled with user!
The possibilities are endless!

In the endgame you had personal teleporters (take a pair to jump somewhere, unload lots of explosives, one armed, then jump back immediately after) and portable forcefield emitters. With these on your soldiers you have to work hard in order to lose.

What I'm more interested in, will the cut content that didn't make the deadline demands be put back into the game by mods someday? I mean tracking bug implant and its gun, VIP capture and guard missions and so on. Also the general census bureau tracking the data about every citizen of the city.

Well, there was only one new gimmick that made TftD easier a little: you can now open/close doors without walking through them. Walk your soldier right to the door, face it, then press the right mouse button on the square behind it.

Patch the original Ufo game, it restores the intended difficulty options and introduces maximum values for your soldiers' stats that aren't 255 like in the unpatched game.

Actually, they could wrap around to laughably small values after crossing 255. I forgot since then.