Civ general thread

randomly received this discount coupon on steam, are they getting desperate already with their shitty game?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamspy.com/app/289070
steamspy.com/app/8930
steamspy.com/app/3900
steamspy.com/app/65980
dictionary.com/browse/sardonic?r=75&src=ref&ch=dic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OP you are a fucking useful idiot.

I'm getting that feeling too with how many sales they've had for the game. Has it shit the bed that hard?

just to develop it further on the topic
I've have brought civ since 2 throughout 4, hard copies in that,
I brought five way later until they managed to have all extensions together and with a big hefty sale
6 managed to be even worse than 5,

problem is… what went wrong? how could they recover from that mess?

and inb4
I for one loved the stylished graphics, smooth animations and all, the game looks beautiful
the new neighborhood system, is actually pretty interesting and adds a new layer of planning that there wasn't there before

Nah
yep

if they had gone back to 1upt with 6 and made the ai more competent i would have bought it in a heart beat. they're just interested in the mobile audience.

fuck the bed….
I don't actually know numbers, it would be nice if someone could actually provide them
but I do hope they hit rock bottom, is about time they try and switch it up to make an actual good game

it is still technically 1upt, and it was a mistake
sorry but I can see you're a 5 fanboy, though I agree they should fucking focus on AI by now

My first Civ game was 5, but I've played a few other games when I was younger, namely HOMM and that other medieval one whose name escapes me, but I was too young to appreciate them.

Anyways, I always go for economic strategies in these sorts of games, and 1UPT is what I prefer. Making a deathball of 9600 Power Liches just seems silly to me

I'd rather the compromise like Endless legend did by allowing small armies to occupy each tile but not stacks of hundreds of tanks.

The was shit at launch, which was when I last played it, and I doubt they've fixed any of it by now. It's inferior in practically every aspect to its predecessor, which is arguably mechanically inferior to it's predecessor. The only good thing that came out of Civilization 6 is another beautiful main menu theme by Christopher Tin.

Stronghold?

No, it was a 4X game as well and had magic and shit. Not Wizardry, that's a different game entirely

shhhhhhh

civ is for brainlets
play eu or ck

Civ VI is about 2.2M steamspy.com/app/289070
Civ V is about 10.6M steamspy.com/app/8930
Civ IV 1.6m steamspy.com/app/3900 (was released without steam)

Honestly, i don't think it did shit the bed.

If the UI was like Master of orion, but the general graphic like Civ1, then it was masters of magic.

I suspect it will do around Civ V numbers once the inevitable expansions come out.
Every Civ has been lambasted on release only for it to be THE 1 TRU CIV once the next one comes out, except for shit like revolutions and beyond earth

They're more worried with shoving in diversity than actually fixing the game or giving it depth.

both are stupid,
either having a death stack of dozens of units, but have only one fight at a time
or the other having a single unit per tile and having a carpet of units on the map, and barely being able to move them because of the limitation

there are two games I can think of that work this out very well, besides Endless legends, that is kinda reasonable but plays out a tactical battle that is not that good
there are also Total war, in which battles playing tactically in detailed map, (pretty awesome)
or CK2, in which battles are played with depth but without much interaction of the player (and thus quicker), but but you could also affect it by having a proper composition

but what really ruins Civ5 and 6, is that they took the game into a more gamey and less detailed fashion, it feels like a board game more than anything else, the 1upt makes it a lot more obvious
is not that it really wasn't as much gamey as before, but its that they took the newer games o lot more in that direction, and in a lot of times, making it dumber and more boring

false, because….

they were actually improving with each release and eventually giving it depth, UNTIL the disaster that was civ5 came along
and I can't state this enough, most of the fans of the franchise nearly gave up when that shit was release
it was the first game not designed by Sid Meier himself, and he even had to come to rescue the game with later expansions, but it never even came close to surpassing its ancestor

and the reason for all that hate was exactly that, they went in the gamey direction instead of trying to give it more depth, and even then they couldn't make a proper balanced game with good AI for that
civ 5 took health out and made happiness global, and basically took out all info screens, because now there weren't any more info to look at, a complex civic system, forget about that have traditions instead
and basically 6 came out with a lot of the features of 4 re-branded, which is just plain stupidity and an insult to old time fans of the franchise

Hmmm, beyond earth didn't do that badly if compare to Civ 6 being worth keeping. Don't get me wrong, if i was a exec i'd be worried, but not that worried.

It did 1.6m in sales which is about 0.6m shy Civ 6. steamspy.com/app/65980

I wounder why didn't they do a expansion? Play time seems to be about 7 hours. User rating is below 50%

I'd say all firaxis games are like that since Civ5. I know that's not saying much since they've only released about 3 unique games: Civ, Xcom, Civ starship.

I know with Xcom, Sid was instructing the deisgner or director to use a method where you make the game as a board game first.

I was being sardonic with the 1 TRU CIV statement.
It will still sell well because the vast majority of people who play civ now didnt play anything before 5.
I look at it like "strategy game skyrim"

Nubia has great music

that is not even a word, stop making up stuff

that is basically what I have said in that exactly same line

pure coincidence, goy!

False. Civilization 2 was the first game not designed by Meier (its primary design credit goes to Brian Reynolds, who'd later go on to helm Alpha Centauri and Rise of Nations), and the lead designer credit on Civ 5's expansions go to Ed Beach, who was also lead on Civ 6. As to how Beach was able to salvage 5 so adeptly while dropping the ball on 6, I can't begin to guess.

If I had to guess they're probably trying to drum up as much of a playerbase as they can before they announce the first big expansion. Doing so would follow with V's release of Gods and Kings.

Fore!

Blame the publisher. It's what i do whenever i don't have anyone else to blame.

Is civ5 with mods good already? (or at least as good as modded 4)

but it wasn't able to salvage, it only made it less worse, but 5 is still shit

no, never, ever
with 4 they sort of released a lot of base game SDK which allowed for a lot of game customization
not only units and buildings stats, but actual core game changes, like very close Alpha Centauri mod (Planetfall), there was even a space 4x mod that came pretty close to what Galciv is today
furhter more, pic related managed to be one of the best civ experiences ever

The more I learn about history, the less satisfying the Civ games become. Kinda wish they'd reboot the franchise at this point. As a long time fan of 2 & 4, why would I buy/play 6?

Last played Civ III here for far too many hours than are healthy for a human being.

IV, V, and VI sound a lot different. What would be the ideal new Civ game to start with again?

go for civ4, forget there were any others later

yeah, I came to that realization too,
and after playing a lot of CK2, EL, and even TW, I get very sad to the where strategic element is going in civ
heck, my best bet would be paradox, with stellaris being the first 4x sandboxy alike title of the series,
maybe they will be able to deliver something interesting in the openworld side of historical grand strategy genre

What is the best mod for any CIV game? I'm really into Caveman2Cosmos despite how unstable it is. I really wished 64bit games happened earlier. There are a lot of big mods for older games that are fucked because of memory limitations.

dictionary.com/browse/sardonic?r=75&src=ref&ch=dic
Allow me to interject…

Planetfall didn't have the unit workshop nor variable land elevation from SMAC. That's all that I recall to be different.

I can't stand this meme. Nubians are red like Egyptians and the Nubi people, who are confused with Nubians, are the nigs. Cleopatra was Greek.

It's playable and fun, but not as good as IV.

*assuming you have the expansions, because otherwise it's boring

*for example, fighting as Hitler against Ben-Gurion. I replaced the music of the mod with my own Jewy music :^)

i don't even like civ games. i just feel like playing them every once in a few months because of gandhi