QUARTERLY DEMO DAY SCHEDULED FOR NOVEMBER 11TH :: LESS THAN THREE WEEKS AWAY
Please also contribute to the wiki if you can

Other urls found in this thread:

mgwater.com/bicarb.shtml
cancerfightingstrategies.com/ph-and-cancer.html
vocaroo.com/i/s03BjpfL0TXz
mega.nz/#!ouhGXQiZ!Uz7Oe2qY_PQTqbrd0OoZ9ostDqMDvhaawIKD60f3lro
mangasupa.com/chapter/danberu_nan_kiro_moteru/chapter_3
advancedpsychcare.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/braverman.test.pdf
stackoverflow.com/questions/1828037/whats-the-point-of-g-wreorder/1828048
dictionary.com/browse/virtually
archive.is/Jg7k1
sketchfab.com/models/b23b6b253207463c97db2a7092adff74
defold.com/download/editor2/Defold-x86_64-darwin.dmg
defold.com/download/editor2/Defold-x86-win32.zip
defold.com/download/editor2/Defold-x86_64-win32.zip
defold.com/download/editor2/Defold-x86_64-linux.zip
defold.com/learn/
defold.com/community/assets/
gamedev.net/forums/topic/614608-specular-highlights-on-water/#entry4881841
medium.com/@gordonnl/the-ocean-170fdfd659f1
csswizardry.com/2010/10/hyperbolic-title-using-the-word-sexy-to-describe-some-code/
youtu.be/8qCWxgSpohQ?t=6m35s
gridsagegames.com/cogmind/
youtube.com/watch?v=8VgQ5PpTqjc
youtube.com/watch?v=LNidsMesxSE
drive.google.com/open?id=0B1BkrdWVDsVxRFF3amk5cGVHekk
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc5JCCPBPxcOE-Ig-AdtVt049GmlqfixV1ro4kHjIPb2QjY7g/viewform
occultusdev.wordpress.com
beelzebox.net
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravonaut
twitter.com/okokhaguki/status/912231102680465408
twitter.com/okokhaguki/status/923527954382036992
8agdg.wikidot.com/occultus
hastebin.com/yesoceyayo.cs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

But your ass will when the mods realize you made a new thread on page 12

They gave the okay to remake it when it was on page 12, last week.

I'm pretty fucking depressed. What do you do as far as gamedev goes when you're too depressed to do the tougher tasks? I want to animate but I'm too fucking suicidal to fuck with blender curves right now, I want to program but I'm too hazy to think. I'm paralyzed with bad feels, anons.

I hate my brain.

You go to they gym and stop being a sissy faggot.
Go fuck yourself.

Depression is a mental illness, faggot.

Have you tried just doing it?
Do you remember how good does it feel to do shit?
how great it feels when you overcome something then look back and say "it wasn't that bad"

nvm you are just a faggot that wants to feed into his vicious cycles

contain your shit, user

Take your fucking pills and stop letting your mania eat you from the inside, faggot.

I would not call it depression per se, at least not in my case, but I do know the feeling. It's why I usually tend to divide big tasks into small tasks as much as I can, and switch around between lines of work as I get sick of them. Helps that there's a million things that still need to be done.
If you're not doing well, mate, there's no shame in taking a break, even if it's a short one. Trust me, I didn't realize how much good sleep and a strong dinner do until I actually tried it, guess you just get used to being hungry and tired. And since boredom is the worst sin, try to find something to do for yourself that still contributes to your game, but is easy. Lately I've been designing cryptic one screen math pattern puzzles for an optional quest. Takes an hour and it's just putting symbols on a background in Gimp.

I swear, gymfags are like those nutcases that say you can cure cancer with baking soda or piss jars.

Take a walk in nature or meditate. Both have actual science behind them in regards to actually fighting against depression.
Does anyone have any good low-poly art style examples?

Take a walk every day to bath in sunlight
Have a strict schedule, and make useful habits
Do some exercise from time to time
Eat well
Write down your thoughts, and show them to someone you trust, they'll tell you how much of an irrational and attention-seeking faggot you are and you will grow as a person

Maybe not cure it, but preventing it in long-term care seems feasible:

mgwater.com/bicarb.shtml

cancerfightingstrategies.com/ph-and-cancer.html

Oh I mean I literally want to shoot myself.

Thanks for the advice, though. I'm gonna go read up on some stuff I need for my gaem.

Anybody expert with the unity animator can tell me how the fuck Exit Times work?

I have a transition between an animation and another. I select "Has Exit Time".
Now, following the manual, if I set a number in "Exit Time" then the animation should transition at that exit time, however in every case the animation only transitions if the previous one is complete.

Exit time seems to have ZERO effect on anything I do.

I used to be a depressed fuck with this faggot attitude too. Then i got tired of it and man the fuck up. It's difficult at first but need to do this,

The katamari series has a nice minimalist/low poly aesthetic. What kind of low-poly are you aiming for?

Posted this in the old thread but i'll post here as well cause lol

vocaroo.com/i/s03BjpfL0TXz
Here you go, an ambient song I did a while ago, its currently my favorite

good song user, reminds me of some of green kingdom's stuff (He did the menu music for hotline 2), I think you might like the song I linked the other user

You want to stop being depressed? Think about everything you do during your currently daily routine. Now stop doing it. Literally just change everything about your lifestyle. What you eat, what you drink, how you speak to people, how you dress, how many hours of inactivity you have, what you do during your day. I used to be an incredibly depressed person until I considered the idea that my depression was an adverse side-effect of my shitty lifestyle. I started eating healthier, spending more time outside, caring more about my appearance, etc. Depression is all mental chemistry. Lifestyles of fucking monotony and tedium (such as being a gamedev or a NEET) are unhealthy and highly prone to depression. You're not living in a cage, just go walk out and do something. Take a drive. Pick up a new hobby, or an old one you used to enjoy. Worst thing you can do is wallow in your own misery and whinging to people on an anonymous imageboard. Maybe you won't ever be truly cured of your depression, but if you do what I tell you at the very least you'll be able to take your mind off of it.

If you haven't already done it, I recommend getting a day job. It can be part time, as long as it is a mandatory event that you are required to leave your chair at a specific time in order to deal with. When you do nothing but codemonkey for 16 hours a day, you fall into a fucking rut that devours your stamina, something you could easily solve by getting up and washing dishes at a restaurant for three hours a day. It gives you time to think and replenish your creative energy.

Of course, you're a miserable self-loathing fuck, so you won't do any of this. I'm just telling you so that I can say I told you so when you kill yourself.

Sounds like it would work well for a sci-fi RPG.

You clearly don't lift, you queer. Go and fap to a trap like I know you will.

You couldn't tell from the inital post?

Glad to see that at least some of you can learn to stop being sissies.

You are right, they won't because they're massive,self-loathing, fucking faggots that seek attention.
A hint for the future though, just telling them to go to the gym should be enough. It's dismissive and serves as a baby step, should they actually seek self-improvement. It's also not a paragraph long.

Someone made this compilation a few years ago:
mega.nz/#!ouhGXQiZ!Uz7Oe2qY_PQTqbrd0OoZ9ostDqMDvhaawIKD60f3lro

Look mate, the people who advise others to lift are those who enjoy lifting themselves. It's not lifting specifically that makes them feel better, it's just doing something that they enjoy. It's why blindly advising everyone to just work out as if it's the ultimate solution to all your problems is so idiotic.
I was in the same place where user was, mate, and I had screeching autists like you telling me to go to a gym left and right. So I did, several times. It didn't make me feel better in the slightest, it didn't help at all. It made me hate myself even more for getting tired so easily and for being so shit compared to everyone else. I can get that by just going outside, I don't need to pay money to feel like that more.
The gym helped you because you liked working out. I'm sure it would help to those that already do it. I'm also sure that stuffing their face would help those who love food.

Good exmaple. I know that I want a point-filtered, pixel-art textured low poly theme, but other than that, I'm still exploring.

Fucking cheers, mate. I owe you a pint, you just saved me so much work.

Thanks user
I can also do other genres but I decided to post that one based on the song the other user posted
Also since its a new thread I might as well post again
I'm a learning music producer and i'm willing to help/make music stuff for you for free so I can gather experience!

I don't particularly enjoy lifting, but seeing my body change for the better feels very rewarding. After working out you also get a high that kills depression for the next few hours. Your words are the words of a lazy slob.

I can tell you personally that I get that same enjoyment out of bettering myself in terms of skills, producing better content for my game. May be because I work 12 hour days and the idea of MORE physical activity is a special kind of hell, but it never helped me.

As points out, you're just a fag.
Lifting is a stepping stone into self improvement. It gives immediate feedback, especially in the beginning and if you have the determination and discipline, can take it from there. You can slowly but surely improve your body along with your mind. Few people enjoy lifting from the outset.

t.former beta faggot

All I hear are excuses, user.

Just a reminder that this isn't 4AM, go post your anime and depression somewhere else pls, this is for gamedev.

Y'all talking about self improvement and shit and I'm here just like "hey my sprites can finally be imported, time to test." Enjoy the fuckhuge res again, took off the color scheme just for you~

Er, fucktiny*

Sounds like you have set Exit Time value to 1 for a given transition or am I mistaken?
The exit time determines how much % of the current state has to be played for a transition to start.

I'm thinking of making an ntr game

I restarted unity and now it's working so fuck me I guess.

Is there any way to add a delay at the start of my animation? Because as it is the transition just cuts of most of the animation before it starts.
Is the only way to fix it that to make the animation longer?

Doesn't exit time create the delay already? And how the animation being longer would help anyway? Just set the exit time to a lower value.
Maybe your problem is that you have a too short Transition Duration and that's why it cuts off if I even understand what your problem is.

Okay, so after about 4 days of soft rewrites, I've finally figured out an idea spot to shove my position polling functions.

The World class will just be a container for data. The GameState class will have all the state-handling functions, because I can make it "one directional" for the logic now

Basically my animations are

Which is a normal idle animation
Where the character plants his feet in the ground and puts himself in a pose
Continuing of that pose, the rotation of the body is only applied during this

The problem is that while I'm transitioning from idle to Stop, the higher I set my Transition Duration, the more the start of Stop is cut off and blended with idle.

So my choices are either go with a really low transition that looks like shit, or a longer transition that cuts off my animation.
I think I'm just going to have to redo these animations, until I get it right

it's not only going to the gym what helps you. its all the little stuff you do while you procrastinate going to the gym that actually does

you know you can work out at work right?
mangasupa.com/chapter/danberu_nan_kiro_moteru/chapter_3
read this and start doing it.

what are you working on user? I hope you have a good enough reason to use something that old "because i want to" is a good enough reason as long as you do it on purpose

Ok, I think I got it. Yes according to what you said you probably have to redo the animation. But maybe you could add an additional state inbetween Idle and Stop to make this work:
Idle -> [first frame of Stop stretched for as long as a transition would take] -> Stop
No idea if this would work but this way the Stop animation wouldn't start playing until your character would be done transitioning to the initial pose of Stop animation so nothing would be cut off and you wouldn't have to redo any animations. Also…
Why's the character stooping if he was idle anyway?

I'll try that, see if it works.

It's not really a stop, it's more like the character is pushing himself in a direction to run towards it. So it works if he's running and the player tilts the stick in another direction, but it also work if he's just standing idle.

RPG mod for Unreal Gold 227i, right now I'm making character sprites to see what can and can't be done then test them in engine. After that I'm gonna touch up some code and make some 3D models. Looking for Metal Gear meets Xenogears (with a touch of Solatorobo minus sooooo much of what passes for dialogue in Anime weeb garbo).

I like how the engine renders lighting and I like what can be done with textures, something about the older water textures is magical to me. On top of that it can be modded until it looks like Counter Strike and… Shit, there is a mod for UT99 where all weapons are food related.

Last video I made attached, would webm but my computer is a shit.

Anyways, all objects have a unified update order. I had to store everything's coordinates as a packed ushort, do a little bit magic under the hood, and shove things in a separate SortedList to make it work.

But, this is a huge progress milestone because now I can start building up on a stable process

advancedpsychcare.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/braverman.test.pdf

Just become the person that has high amounts of X chemical… learn how to manually produce it as well. One chemical is responsible for brain speed, so speed up your brain manually until it's part of your magical repertoire. Then go onto the other chemicals and recreate the phenomena. Wizardly nigga.

Focus on Seratonin as it's basically FUN. Dopamine is what weight lifters use, and is good and all but I'd go with Acetylcholine which is basically the rate of fire of your brain. Rev up those RPM and get some shit processed. Seratonin synchronizes the hemispheres, Acet. revs up the brain speed. Good combo. Manually raising brain synchronization and rate of fire will handle well.

Hey I'm a useless artfag wanting to learn how to code for programs like unity, is there any learning resources which start with the basics. I want to expand my abilities so I can be more useful.

If your depression triggers while trying this, then you are in direct contact with your brain chemicals and it's working. It's like shoveling shit with a magical gold electrified shovel. Keep at it.

The less you spend blogging about your depression, the more time to make that game.

Only if you don't have depression.

Got the animations in-engine, the walk left and walk right animations piss me off but they're placeholders anyways. Now I'm gonna work on some running animations, should go way faster now that I know what I'm doing with my art tools. That would be funny if my running animations looked way better than my walking animations.

Depends on if you want to learn C# or just dive right into Unity. If you want to learn C# just look up a tutorial for it on YouTube and the first page results are mostly good. If you want to dive right into Unity their official tutorials are good for getting your feet wet. After you do those things start experimenting and looking at documentation.

New trailer edit.
Synced more shots with the music.

Is it good enough yet?

too long on the outro, I don't need to see 10 seconds of the game's title. but the part where you're shooting nades while falling down is pretty cool.

The player appears to just fly across all terrain, might wanna look into making them feel a little heavier while still maintaining that speed.

Yeah, tho didn't want to cut the song's end, while still syncing the title with the music. Constraints from the song.

You mean movement animation?

What do you mean "heavy". What's an FPS where the player character is sufficiently "heavy".

Start small. Watch what you eat and drink, avoid distractions (ESPECIALLY avoid the sewer that is social media), get some structure into your life. A routine will do wonders.
Also start jogging or something, it'll kickstart your appetite, make food taste amazing and overall just make you more active. I'm working on this one.

For me it was the routine that got me out of my pit. NEETing it up is not a solution unless you got a strict plan.

I think he means there's hardly any sway in the character's motions, as if he's gliding.

There's sway, maybe it's hard to notice in these clips.

I can see a little bit of it, but it doesn't seem very pronounced to me.

It disappears while shooting to not mess with the aim (projectiles come out of the muzzle), and most of the video is shooting.

Oh, okay.

An idea for how it might look when finished. Is it too distracting? The characters and background would animate slightly.

Looking good m80, gonna be ready for demo day?

I hope so. My goals are to have it be as stable as possible, with about 10 object types, as well as some way to edit levels, even if it is very crude.

Was that the stalker dog bark?

Maybe i dunno it's a public domain sound.

I'd love for a new Doom/Quake-like FPS to be released, and this is hitting a lot of the relevant points. I have two concerns:

The guns seem a bit low on the feedback end. Adding more kick would improve things, in my opinion.

It looks like a lot of the enemies blend in with the environment. Would it be possible to make them stand out more without breaking the aesthetic?

yeah those are real problems.

I'll beef up the weapons' feedback.

Monsters is a bit tricker since the level textures and monsters I have have similar brightness. One way to deal with it is using lights, but the engine I use only comes with dynamic lighting so that's a limited scale solution (could try adding lightmaps later on). I'll try to look into other solutions.

someone code me a lover tbh

The death animation for the humanoid enemy is pretty weak.

I just bought licensed animated models, I don't have a 3D artist :\

That looks pretty good man, gj, and well synced with the music especially.

The shotgun doesn't sound as "punchy" as it should be, and should have more dmg up close.
It looks like the rockets are too slow, and should travel faster as to not give the player a reason to slow down as to avoid the blast radius (as it seems to detriment the fast playstyle due to how slow the rockets are, unless u want the player to be cautious/slower with it).
I feel that a few things are missing here… and could add a lot to your current game; though they're additional mechanics so take it as u will.
You should be able to at least do a wall jump while airborne as to encourage the fast playstyle. You can just test if colliding, and get the normal of the surface to determine if it's a walljump (do a dot product between the surface normal & world up to determine if within a threshold of being a "wall").
Now this is sorta crazy, but i think it would be really cool if there was a type of commentator trigger by different states in the game (surviving low health, getting multiple kills, trash talking u for missing excessively, etc), sorta UT style, but with PvE; it's a random thought but it could add a lot of character to the fast visceral action you have going on.

Got a fancy effect for the altfire flash now

Wow… so spoopy!!!

Can someone explain to me what a [-Wreorder] warning is and why I should care? What's so important about initializing your class members in the exact order as they're specified in the constructor?

tbh make your guns have more then one firing mode tbh

stackoverflow.com/questions/1828037/whats-the-point-of-g-wreorder/1828048

Not for the Doomslayer. He's gonna have very simple and straightforward weapons that look really cool. The whole point of his implementation here is to have a character that's easier to control compared to the other guys, though he's gonna have some weirdness and customization in the form of powerups for his bomb and daggers when I get around to implementing those, after I finish up the rocket launcher, plasma rifle, and BFG replacements.

I suggest making the secondary background a bit darker, but not the characters in it.

Okay so my Camera Script is following an empty gameobject that moves with my character, unfortunately that character is moved with his rigidbody, which means that if I don't put all my movement stuff inside of FixedUpdate() the camera will become all jittery.

HOWEVER, I can't put all my movement in FixedUpdate because apparently that doesn't run every frame, which gives me problems with inputs.

I thought that making an external script to handle all my inputs would fix this, however despite having all the inputs handled in Update(), the IF statements that trigger what happens in the game are still in Fixedupdate, meaning that the input problem is still there.

What should I do here? Did I misunderstand what I was supposed to do with my Inputs script?

Also what do you call those placeholder textures that Valve and a bunch of other devs use? The ones with the grids?

It was an acronym of some kind but I can't remember it at all

Got complaints about the shotgun before, tried to lower sound pitch but it didn't sound right.

The gameplay is quite balanced.
Technically spread makes the shotgun deal more damage up close.
The player needs to be able to dodge all projectiles, as it's the only defense. Some of the gold medals require finishing a level while taking almost no damage (which is very hard).

The game isn't flashy, it got dark and cold feel to it (imagine something like Dark Souls) and I don't thing commentator would fit it.

Though it's fully moddable so maybe someone can experiment with these stuff :^)

Guys i need help!
How do you identify good programmers? Do you need a programmer you trust to hire other programmers?
How do you get to know the initial programmer?

Ask to see what they've done

Review other stuff he did. Preferably GitHub profile.

Also you kinda need a good programmer to tell a good programmer. A pajeet that writes shit code doesn't know what good code is.

If there was an easy answer to this, the software industry would do a whole lot better.

Good programmers write giant programs in C

If you see "web development" "C# / Java / JavaScript / Python" , that's a big red flag. C++ is a good sign, that the programmer will be good enough. If they use a language that nobody has heard of / uses this is also a sign that they are good at programming.

So when a programmer approaches you, you just straight up ask for a GH profile?
Is that the only way?
I don't have programmer friends to help me find good programmers…

As stupid as it is, this actually makes sense. Languages that are barely used are hard to find documentation/examples for, so you need to thoroughly understand it in order to use.

I'd consider C a bad sign since it's very easy and simple language to learn and doesn't provide any features for quality programming.

Language that nobody heard of isn't a good sign. They're usually toys for hobbyists and not real development tools.

GitHub profile will be useful if you're a programmer or got a programmer that you trust as a good one to judge it for you. The point is that GitHub hosts open source projects so you can see your candidate's actual work, and it also tends to be personal projects so the work is done with his own preferences and quality standards (a lot of workplaces have abysmal quality standards).

They do good work. TBH even the industry doesn't know how to weed out the retards at an interview so don't waste too much time thinking about it. You just kind of have to let them program.
It's useful to ask them if they've done (especially completed) projects on their own before though.

I'm not exactly an expert, but you have to understand what is required of someone who builds programs to understand the qualities that good programmers possess. So, what is a program? At its core, a program is merely a series of instructions that work in tandem to achieve a specific goal. A video game takes user input (button commands) and manipulates that input in real time (damage calculation, collision, physics, character and enemy positioning, etc). How do you build a program? You have to think of the problems that you'll face and then translate solutions to those problems into code. This shit can get incredibly complicated, so you need someone who has
I think that's basically it. Obviously there's more to it, like they need to have good communication skills if they're going to be working on a team with other people, and the other obvious shit that "professionals" embody, like good etiquette, the ability to show up on time, etc. A github or some other type of portfolio can give you a brief glance at their competence, but the truth is that you can't really know how good someone is unless you can get someone else to vouch for them or you finally see them in action yourself.

Best bet is to learn to program yourself. It's not that hard, just really time consuming and you can run into a lot of problems that you may not know how to solve if you're a retard who can't into lateral thinking/logic.

It's easy to "learn" C. It's not easy to write non-trivial programs in C. You have to be able to grasp how to use the language, not just memorize the API. Unlike languages with giant standard libraries that allow you to hide gaps in your knowledge by leaning on them, like C++ or Java.

C has all of the structured programming features, so I don't understand this. What features do you need for "quality programming"?

This means that there is extra work required to learn and use the language. That means that you'd be capable of putting in extra work; thus, probably better at programming.

I meant, non-retarded languages like Lisp or FORTRAN.

Lookin' good.

Thanks, mate.

Because it's primitive.

Reinventing square wheels to make yourself feel smart doesn't make you a good programmer, it's just a waste of time, which makes you a very inefficient programmer.

What wheels are being reinvented? Do you mean how you have to implement most of the data structures yourself? Doing that can give you better results than using a library, so it's not a waste of time / ego trip.

What makes a language not primitive? I can't see your point through these buzzwords.

How so? You think your naive implementation that got 0 testing is going to be sublime?

You're just wasting time working on irrelevant stuff instead of getting things done for your project.

Also the rest of your arguments are flaws:
Learning any language requires work.
Eating shit with poor documentation doesn't make you good.

C is unsafe, and doesn't provide any features for any type of safety (except const which they copied from C++). There are no mechanisms to prevent programmer mistakes -> buggy software and more time spent debugging.

nigger, aside from being able to freely cast to/from void*, the exact same type safety rules as C++ apply

No, instead you have to learn the C++ ins and outs in order to understand exactly how C++ classes, templates and all kinds of other bullshit work, because those pieces of shit introduce all kinds of odd behavior out of nowhere if you don't know how the fuck shit works under the hood.
The reason why people prefer C over C++ is because its a simple language that does does the bare minimum. C++, on the other hand, introduces all kinds of constructs in order to try fix common problems, but these also introduce their own complications in the process.

Things like the C++ STL are known to be slow, and they're one size fits all. This is why AAA doesn't use it. Besides the only data structure that it provides that I had to implement myself instead was one hash table. The other data structures that I need (BSP trees, for example) aren't the kinds of thing you would put into or find in a standard library. Fine tuning your code isn't irrelevant, ever.

Being able to put in extra work is a good indicator. That's all I mean. Languages that aren't common doesn't mean that it has worse documentation.

So you're writing your game in rust? The type checking system means that I get a warning or an error if I pass an argument into a function that doesn't match its type, so I don't know what you're talking about. No mechanisms to prevent programmer mistakes is completely untrue too. Somehow, I don't have the problem of buggy software that I should be having according to you.

You still haven't explained how C is "primitive" or "doesn't provide any features for quality programming".

Fug. I hope my integrated graphics card isn't dying.

I had the same thing happen, where even old two month old builds of my game would now run like shit. Had to reinstall windows, that seemed to fix it. Still no clue what went wrong.

While C++ is virtually a superset of C, meaning you can write C code that will compile, it isn't the recommended way.

For example we can look at memory safety.
Unlike languages that sacrifice performance with garbage collectors, C++ provides memory safety without cost using the concept of "ownership". std::unique_ptr doesn't have any overhead, have the memory bound to its lifetime, and properly implements the concept of unique owner (for example you can't copy it which would lead to bugs). In modern C++ you don't need to use `new` and `delete` anymore, which means you can't forget things.

That's a falsehood spread by incompetent people.
The engine I'm using developed it's own containers because "STL is slow". I benchmarked it against STL and what do you know STL is faster.

It's true that the standard lib tries to cover general use cases, but if you're comparing its performance to specialized cases you're comparing apples to oranges.

C++ standard library only tries to provide you with fundamental things. For other things you can use open source (or even commercial) libraries, like any competent developer does.

When was the last time you ran static and dynamic analyzers on your code?

Messed around with Terragen and made a placeholder sky for testing no-ceiling backgrounds with. Did it too wide though, so feels off when turning. Also got done refactoring collision and gravity so can start working on projectiles and things that change sectors.

Thermal throttling maybe? The heat sink could've gotten fucked up somehow or maybe you're case got dusty

meh

but that's wrong, you nigger

stop talking about languages you don't know shit about

dictionary.com/browse/virtually

So I got the Cave Story character to move. I still have very little grasp on what the implemented classes and their respective functions are doing, but progress is progress.

I hope you didn't forget to apply for EU funding, europoors. Wouldn't want you to starve before finishing your games.

Where's the hook? I don't trust Brussels.

You have to employ 2 "refugees" for every five grand you get.

I hope you're joking, but I wouldn't put that exact kind of shit past them.

Fairy dev, is that you?

Rate my title screen
im aware i need to fix the faerie borders and the letter contrast

nice.

Looks charmingly unprofessional. Haven & Hearth flashbacks/10

I'm gonna borrow the apple pie.

It's pretty good

IF BEING FUCKING TERRIBLE WAS GOOD I HOPE YOU BURN IN HELL YOU FUCKING NIGGER WHAT KIND OF GAY SHIT IS THIS LIKE WHAT COULD POSSIBLY COMPEL YOU TO MAKE SOMETHING SO INCREDIBLY HORRENDOUS, BUT NO NOT JUST THAT, YOU HAD THE AUDACITY, THE FUCKING COJONES, TO POST THIS FUCKING GARBAGE IN THIS THREAD.

I HOPE YOU GET ROBBED BY A NIGGER YOU FUCKING DEGENERATE

Almost there. Logo doesn't really work with a background, too much color, doesn't stand out at all.

The effect looks nice, but I thought you said you were going to change the fidget spinner look?

Hey John Carmack, glad to see you lurk here!

Saying that Actionscript is "barely used" is like claiming an old prostitute is a virgin.

It might not be perfect, but it doesn't require me to import a 10MB DLL if the code I need is only 100 lines. Loading that alone is a major performance loss. If you want an illustrative example of where your attitude leads, look at the Node.js/npm ecosystem.
Firstly, there's no need to create a new paragraph after every sentence. Secondly, learning any language requires work, but even knowing about obscure domain languages like Elm and Lisp indicates a passion and authentic interest in the field. Thirdly, some obscure languages like Lisp, and Erlang introduce whole new paradigms and force you to think about them as you design your programs, which will make you a better programmer when you transfer those skills into other domains.

Not the worst thing I've ever seen, but is that a tiny boat or a gigantic window and pie? They're the same size and the only way perspective would explain it is if the house on the right is like 200 feet closer to the viewer than everything else.

Looks like that's it.

That's relatively straightforward to fix; just clean out the fan and heatsink and you'll probably be fine. If you have any thermal paste, adding a new layer would also help, but that'll require more work.

What is actually difficult about C? I'm learning it as my second language after Java, and so far it's not so bad. So far the most esoteric thing about it is the ability to do bit operations, but pointers, which I thought would be the most difficult aspect, are actually simple and useful to use.

wut? you sound extra salty friend, how is your game going?

There's a teardown guide on ifixit, but damn I need a real PC

He's a nodev, don't respond.

thanks

its for the Faeries man, don't do it

love you too

i will work on it tomorrow

Your character lives in the house, the faeries in the tree, they do need mana to fly, so they often walk (and use boats) to fish unless they get tons of mana-rich food

Yeah, here's my fuckin game bitch.

Checkmate

Oh yeah, I saw your progress report. Going well, mate.

What I've always found difficult about it was malloc and free. Manual memory management has always been a chore for me, but I haven't used C extensively so I'm still really a beginner. I've never really had much of a problem with pointers either; the hardest part for me was reading them to figure out what exactly they said. I think one of the major flaws of C's syntax was making the pointer type indicator and the pointer dereferencing operator both *.
You can do bit operations in Java. XOR/OR/AND are all in the JVM.

Damn right it's going well

I WILL EAT THAT FUCKING APPLE PIE, ITS MINE NOW.

I like the music, keep up the good work

Same happened to me. The thermal paste between my fan and GPU separated. Just turned my tower on its side and its been reasonably low temperatures. Makes for a good temp fix until I can get more paste

Average 100F isn't too high is it? I was getting up to 200F when my fan seperated

It's not really a difficult language, but lots of people have this knee jerk mental thing about pointers.

Isn't it literally the same as an object reference that every other language uses?

It has more power than that, because since a pointer is an address in memory, and addresses are numbers, many mathematical operations can be used on pointers (e.g. *++pointer gets the next element in an array). However, with great power comes great ways to shoot yourself in the foot; buffer overruns often cause security exploits (e.g. Heartbleed) and are intrinsically a result of C arrays not containing their length because they're only pointers to chunks of memory. Sometimes the OS can detect an unauthorized access, but often it can't.

This is a cool trick, it prints "hi!" out.

uint32_t test = 0x00216968;puts((const char *)&test);

The idea of a type is very fluid in C. It's more like a suggestion. I told the compiler to interpret my pointer to an int as a pointer to an array of characters, and it works.

*TrumpWrong.avi*

c# is one of the best languages for games, easy enough to code, low-level enough for decent performance

HAHA no, c++ is a language that works beautifully if you are good at it, that is the catch most programmers only know the base of c++ that is why there are a hundred million programs with memory leaks, they are just too easy to do in c++

if you have a small team of novices you can do a game in c# or javascript,
if you don't know what you are doing DO NOT MAKE YOUR OWN ENGINE, is more effort that is worth and you only will frustrate yourself to no end

i would like to know how to become better as a director and writer, how do i start or even get into that position? and/or even how do i practice?

t. Pajeet

C# is exclusively used to make shitware in unity. The only people who make excuses for Microsoft's Java are Indians. You can't call a VM language low-level. "Best language for games" is the biggest joke i've heard. That title belongs to either C or C++.

I only brought up C++ because, while its not as good as C, you can be sure that they'll be somewhat competent at programming. While meanwhile you're criticizing a language with a ton of handholding features for not holding your hand enough; this is how I know you're afraid to step out of the "managed language" bubble and get some real skills.

Either way I can't tell if you stumbled in here from /r/gamedev or if you're baiting.

I'm assuming this is [\0, !, i, h] in reverse byte order

Note that that's also undefined behavior, and will behave differently based on endianness.

OH BOY you sure know what you are talking/s

Except when is used to make good games in unity like hand of fate or cities skylines also you can use monogame, DX11

is a jit language you prick

C/C++ is not best for games because it requires a lot of technical skill that oftentimes small groups don't have they will accomplish a lot more with a simpler language. the tool used does not reflect the skill of the code

Fuck, some GAMEMAKER games (which uses FUCKING JAVASCRIPT) are better than some AAA games coded in c++

You are one of those fucks who thinks everything should be made c/c++, that is why we have a lot of c++ made garbage that leaks memory frendo

C is a fucking bulldozer
C# is a shovel,

you can do certain jobs with both but you can do smaller task with the shovel without demolishing half the neighborhood

Note: that won't work on a system with a different byte order. One of the big difference between C and other language is that a lot of behavior isn't guaranteed by the C spec and is implementation-defined; while that allows for a lot of power, if you don't know details like the byte order of the machine, creative hacks like this won't work.

uhhhhhh

Write regular/VN stories before trying to get into games. Always good to get practice in a standard medium. If you're already decent at that, note two things:
One of the big differences between storytelling in vidya and other media is interactivity; if your game is story-driven, players would want their actions to have a recognizable effect in the future. Unless you're going for a gameplay-driven game, make sure your choices aren't shallow and change future story events.
That said, you might run into problems with combinatorial complexity; if you have a roster of 7 characters who all can affect a battle in a unique way, and can only bring 3 in a party, you now have (7 choose 3) = 35 different storylines to write. This can easily get even worse if you're not paying attention. A great way to pare this down is to give an illusory choice, where a decision you make affects the story superficially, but doesn't fundamentally derail the current storyline. For example, the Katawa Shoujo routes have several choices that affect dialogue, but only have 2-3 choices that actually affect the ending you get. For further research on illusory choice, I recommend Bastion and Transistor.
Also, here's an excerpt from JoelOnSoftware on illusory choice:
joelonsoftware.com/2002/02/13/the-iceberg-secret-revealed/

That's correct.

I know, I just wanted to show off some of the things you can do if you're aware of the machine. It's intentionally leveraging things like that.

I know that the Reddit was dripping from your last post, but this is proof beyond a doubt. It's time to go back.

Let's just agree to disagree on that, ok?

A jit language that runs in the .NET VM

Except it does, when languages like C# are an intentional trade off, where you run it in a heavy managed VM, and you have a way to do things without needing serious programmer ability. This is why languages like C# and Java are literally designed to allow you to outsource work to Indians who can barley program.

I think C is a nicer development tool than C++. Memory leaks in C or C++ programs are still going to be less than the amount of memory wasted by running a giant VM with a garbage collector that eats through memory like there is no tomorrow. Also, memory leaks can be eliminated entirely by using valgrind or other debuggers. It's a solved problem and a non-issue.

C is the shovel, and C# is the bulldozer. Who thought of running an entire virtual machine to run simple tasks slower than in C?

I hope I can get something ready for demo day.

I love posting on a Mongolian rice-harvesting field

JIT languages use bytecode you mouthbreather, here's your (You)
Hell, even fucking Python and Ruby use bytecode, and they're scripting languages.
If I saw two different people make the same game in the same amount of time, and one of them made it in Python/C#/Java and one of them made it in C/Haskell/Lisp/Rust/Erlang, I am completely unrepentant in saying the latter developer is better than the former.
Firstly, stop making a new paragraph at the end of every sentence. Secondly, GameMaker doesn't use Javascript, it uses GameMakerLanguage (GML) which, while being its own special hell, is a different hell. Thirdly, a game's quality is not determined solely by its codebase and claiming otherwise is facetious. Fourthly, if Hyper Light Drifter had been written in an engine that did not tie its refresh rate to a constant global variable, it wouldn't have taken them 6 months to rewrite the game to use 60fps.
Sometimes the job calls for a fucking bulldozer. One of those times is when you need higher performance and less overhead, such as in, oh I dunno, 3D games maybe?
Seriously, though, go back to >>>/reddit/ or >>>/neogaf/ or whatever shithole you crawled out of.

Do you like Cuphead, Hollow Knight, or Kerbal Space Program? They're all Unity games. Unity isn't intrinsically trash, it just seems to attract large droves of mouthbreathers and scammers in a way that e.g. Unreal or Godot don't.

I agree it's not an absolute, although granted I don't have a drive to play any of those games. Not because I think they look bad, or anything, I just don't feel enthusiasm to play them.

That's fair, different strokes and all that.

Please, this "flamewar" isn't even half as bad as the one we had last thread when an ideaguy showed up and shat everywhere.

another internet argument won, it is'nt the first victory, nor will it be the last

Turned out it's some kind of "safe" mode built into the laptop (XPS 13) that can only be deactivated by taking the laptop apart and unplugging the battery. At least it's fixed, but damn that was a waste of a day.

Glad to see you're back on track user!

It's a joke u autist, and yeah I know

Heh

C is a simple language, and easy to learn. Pointers are a representation of the CPU's address registers and indirect addressing data. "Programmers" who do not understand how a CPU works find this to be a difficult concept.

I think what I see must new people get wrong are arrays. Arrays in C are just fancy syntax covering over pointers. They start at 0 because arrays and pointer arithmetic are the same thing.
an_array[ 15 ]
*(an_array+15)
same thing.
Since + and - are commutative, so is the array indexing syntax (!)
an_array[15]
15[an_array]
*(15+an_array)
all the same. try it.

C is pretty close to a decent macro assembler with a friendly syntax. This makes it incredibly powerful. Because so many extremely useful and optimized libraries are written in C, there is very little need to "reinvent the wheel". You also have your choice of implementations of good ideas. Not just what a particular meme language author decided to anoint and include as standard.

I think many new people to game development start with a high level language, framework, or Game-making application and then feel like they need to defend their choice. They really don't. Back in the day people started with BASIC and worked their way up to assembly or C. Now they work up to C++ and GLSL. The only thing that has changed is the bar is much lower but the mountain is much higher with more stops along the way up.

What's the game about?

AAAAHHH THE HORROR

don't quote me on this but I think it's about fairies.

- a39392

Joke's on you, bitch, a39392 isn't my real name!

Naw, I pointed it out to my own dismay, and when someone offered an idea for a redesign, I just said "Fuck it" and pressed onwards with the current design.
I mean seeing as I ripped those straight off of the Wraithverge and noone has ever pointed it out there, I should be fine.

I've been thinking about making this game since i went to college.

IT's basically Power Stone meets SSB meets Pokemon. You basically collect weapons that drastically change your moveset and duke it out with opponents with weapons. It'll be like Getamped but with actual good singleplayer content. There's arcade mode and story mode.

So, what do you guys think?

Alright, it doesn't make a difference to me either way. I like the stuff you're doing, keep it up!

Sounds like it could be fun, but the real question is "How are you going to make it?"

I'm going to use unity as the engine.
The main thing is: How do i manage the supers? Should i give it a non-recharging super bar that starts at max or a super bar with three stocks that recharges? I'm also planning to give them an ultra by having a fourth "stock" That activates a mode the instant it's maxed out. The super bar will decrease steadily until either you use your ultra or it runs out. If the super bar runs out before you could get the ultra out, it will reset into three bars. But, if you perform an ultra, it will empty out.

Its a vertical slice of the best comfy farm game that will ever be made
It contains the cooking system and the faerie village integrated as a demo of both features

Do you have some good links or references to what you are talking about?

I recommend you build the basic parts first, and once you get to the point of adding changing combat states, start experimenting and see what's fun. You've got a few months between now and then, at any rate.

Are you the fairy headpats user?

I'm also curious about that. The serotonin deficiency description describes me to a tee, even including weirdly specific stuff like salt and carb cravings.

Yes

You should check out the writeup that Zachtronics did on porting Shenzhen Solitaire to DOS, it's pretty neat. archive.is/Jg7k1

Please censor your filth

I know one or two devs in here are interested in/playing around with pixelated textures on 3D models.
I randomly came across this, thought you all might find it useful as a reference or something.

sketchfab.com/models/b23b6b253207463c97db2a7092adff74

This was the best idea.

So is the spawn big skeleton function bound to the same key as stop recording in your recording software, or do you manually spawn it in every time for the lulz?

To this day PS1 manages to have some of the creepiest shit of all time. I don't know what it is.

I have it as a separate key from the stop record button, so I usually try to time it just right.
When I start making standalone games, if I add a skeleton to any of them, you can bet I'll have one that gets ready to punch me at the end of any progress videos I make.

This is a really nice style. It has a simplicity while still being clear and extremely charming. I wonder if it would allow making bigger 3D games solo without being a total hack, like indie "pixel art" doesn't. I'm tempted to try it.

Ill add that to the list of pixelshit that triggers me

Please put a spook warning on your videos next time user. Some of us here are still recovering from the war.

Wireframing out some HUD layouts and got weapons in view now. Just using Hexen's hands until I make some placeholder ones.

You should spook people at level exits with them.

Anyone try Defold? Seems like pretty good for low poly multi platform 3d games. I'm getting into it for last few months. The community is responsive but I wish it was larger.

defold.com/download/editor2/Defold-x86_64-darwin.dmg
defold.com/download/editor2/Defold-x86-win32.zip
defold.com/download/editor2/Defold-x86_64-win32.zip
defold.com/download/editor2/Defold-x86_64-linux.zip
defold.com/learn/
defold.com/community/assets/

Love it, that is fucking charming. God damn it, now my ADD wants to remake a bunch of classic 2D spaces in pixel art low poly style.

Lookin good mate, what NES song is that in the background? I'm surprised I can't name it.
Also, morning all. Continuing to pound my head against AGDG today because otherwise I'd have to do real work. Still trying to work out my visual look and feel, I was less than happy with my work yesterday, but I'm glad I did something.

Did you narrow done what you think you're after from those references?

Yeah, I think so. Doing some actual testing right now, I'll be back with some bad art for everyone to laugh at in a bit.

>get it working 90% of the time
Time to study my code and understand what the fuck is going on under the hood

nice
dropped

That's really well-done, I just wish my toaster could load the model at more than 5FPS.

I'll be sure to snicker at it in a constructive manner.

Say i have a unorder_map in c++
where hotkey is a class that is converted to a string for hashing in the map
Could i somehow access an element in the map with only a string
I feel like this should be possible since ultimately the map is effectively hashed by string.

How can I optimize this conditional in glsl?

if(shadowCoord.x < 1.0 && shadowCoord.x > 0.0 && shadowCoord.y < 1.0 && shadowCoord.y > 0.0){
//shadow magic
}

post the whole shader. Ideally you will have no conditionals at all, because they are insanely slow. Basically what will happen is the driver will just execute both paths at once, because GPU's cant into branching.

You have to write your games in assembly language or you're gonna get bullied.

Here you go. Ignore the "include" part, there's more code behind it but it's not relevant right now.
#version 330#include "lighting.glh"in vec2 texCoord0;in vec3 normal0;in vec3 worldPos0;in vec4 shadowCoord;uniform sampler2D diffuse;uniform sampler2DShadow shadowMap;uniform DirectionalLight directionalLight;uniform float mirrorHeight;uniform vec3 shadowMod;uniform vec2 scrollFactor;out vec4 fragColor;void main(){ if(mirrorHeight>=0.0 && worldPos0.y 0.0){ visibility -= 0.5*ceil(0.8-texture( shadowMap, vec3(vec2(shadowCoord.x + shadowMod.x, shadowCoord.y + shadowMod.y), (shadowCoord.z * shadowMod.z)/shadowCoord.w) )); } fragColor = texture2D(diffuse, texCoord0.xy + scrollFactor.xy) * CalcDirectionalLight(directionalLight, normalize(normal0), worldPos0) * visibility;}
The mirror conditional makes sure the reflections work right. It's a bit of a hack.
The second conditional is for transparent textures.

Instead of the conditional, just make it so that the giant equation that you're subtracting visibility by is multiplied by the equivalent of:
(ceil(fmod(shadowCoord.x, 1.0f)) * ceil(fmod(shadowCoord.y, 1.0f)))
in GLSL.

This will have the same effect while removing the conditional. Basically what it does is that something mod 1.0 will evaluate to zero unless it's between 0.0 and 1.0. Then ceil just rounds that up to 1.0, thus making an equation that will evaluate to 1.0 when both shadowcoords are between 0 and 1, without any branching needed. You'll have to translate that C into GLSL, because I dont really know GLSL very well.

I wonder if that will improve or worsen my performance. I guess I'll try. Thanks.

yeah, i'm not sure. I just read that conditionals are bad

They have good taste in base technology: Lua (debugging with Zerobrane), Bullet3D, Box2D, OpenGL ES 2.0. Nice low overhead for the runtime libraries.

Very sketchy 3D support. Not too surprising given the types of games they make. Weird licensing terms. Closed source.

2D games with Lua aren't that hard to make. I don't think signing up to use someone else's closed source proprietary software is such a good idea. Who knows how long it will be supported, if they will support new versions of the primary OSes, or if they will change the terms of the license (they promise to try to let you know when they change the deal. LOL)

I was aware that some hardware can't do branching, but in most cases modern GPUs handle it just fine. Especially when uniforms are concerned (which isn't the case in my situation but still).

It should. The GPU is strange. I 100% guarantee that the conditional in your shader is ignored by the GLSL compiler. The machine code generated for the GPU will evaluate the statement inside the 'if' 100% of the time. If what's inside was much, much more complex it _might_ use a branch in the machine code. Maybe.

In general, try to think in terms of a massively parallel FPU when writing shader code. No branches. Minimal loops. Write mathematical functions that handle the numeric domain you are interested in, all cases. So, set up your textures with proper clamping or wrapping (depending on what you are doing), use min(), max(), floor(), ceiling(), mod(), step(), smoothstep(), xor(), or() etc. to handle your numeric domain.

Friendly reminder that while FireRed/LeafGreen were originally 2D games, Pokemon DPP and BW/BW2 are 3D games that all using a very similar style to this.
It might be worth looking into those games if you like this style.

I wish I could figure out to texture like this…

Outline test. Thoughts?

I like it better without the line, personally.

Man, Nintendo was really good at water

I know most of the secret to their 6th-gen water, if you're interested.
gamedev.net/forums/topic/614608-specular-highlights-on-water/#entry4881841

As best as I can tell, Twilight Princess uses this exact same technique, except that the texture plugged into the shader is different (and perhaps mipmaps are auto-generated rather than hand-crafted as in Super Mario Sunshine).
It's worth noting that Zelda 64 also used the same texture twice with two scrolling UV coordinates, but didn't do any of the other techniques described, making for a far less impressive look.
I'm not too familiar with the N64's graphics hardware, but it is likely that stuff such as the addition of the texture values and checking their total against a constant value was not possible on the N64, and was only made possible by the TEV (Texture EnVironment) unit inside Dolphin/Gamecube that allowed for pixel-shader like effects before fully programmable pixel shaders were a thing.

Anyone know how to make a decent elastic rope? I've made a rudimentary one in Godot out of rigidbodies and spring joints, but it seems kind of janky.

You probably won't be able to tell if the outline is good or not until you start putting your objects in an environment. For example, you could use the outline on some objects to guide the player's attention to important things. Although I guess in a low-poly game things aren't often that cluttered visually, and levels are easily readable as long as they have a good color palette and textures.

Making a start on projectiles. Still messy.

That's such a smart, simple idea.

Prefer without the outline but is right that it might make sense in context for stuff like highlighting an object you can interact with, selected enemies, or whatever.

Took the whole afternoon to make this silhouette holy shit. How is it?

Better, for sure.

What is the name of the bottom left game?

To paint with a wide brush, software engineering is not a strength of Nintendo or the Japanese in general.
This is why they have the largest debugging army in the industry- it's a brute-force solution to their own stupidity.
So most problems Nintendo faces are solved in either a very simple or, due to ignorance, excessively complicated manner, when viewed from an engineering perspective. (See 'memecrypto' for an example of an excessively complicated "solution" to one of their problems…)

The real strength of the Japanese lies in their art, but unfortunately I'm not good enough of an artist to elegantly describe just what makes them so good at it.
One thing I can say is, modeling is one of the most technical aspects of 3D art, as it requires a good understanding of mesh topology, and here once again Nintendo tends to show some weakness in understanding this technicality.
But then I look at some of their texturing work, and as someone who is not particularly experienced in 2D art, it's like magic to me, I don't understand how they do it half the time.
I need to learn more in this field, somehow, some way…

I actually don't know, and google image searching it don't bring up shit.

Changed the gradient and changed a few parts of the silhouette

I will try, but i don't think WPF has support for it

The UE4 default mannequin has these weird disconnect issues in 3DS Max. Works fine in the engine itself but its annoying when animating it, anyone know how to fix this?

Anything with spring joints and rigid bodies needs a lot of tweaking to look right.
That's a good approach though, and is what I'd do.

They don't look nearly as good, though.

This won't get you Twilight Princess water, but here's an article on how Wind Waker animates its oceans: medium.com/@gordonnl/the-ocean-170fdfd659f1

Looks way too Borderlands imo. I think it might look interesting if the border was in the direction of the shadow, but I have no clue how to do that.

It looks a lot better than the old one, but I preferred the logo version with the transparent fruit, I thought it was a nice touch.

>Tons of methods like: public bool TileIsOccupied(ushort position) { if (TileExists(position)) return ((Tiles[position] & TileBehaviorFlags.IS_OCCUPIED) > 0); return false; }

Not that speed *matters* in a small project like this, but I imagine I would check TileExists many times because it happens at the start of every query in this manner. Should I just trust that the code I write won't break and it'll behave properly?

Would it be reasonable to wrap the check in #DEBUG tags so I can selectively omit it for performance/release, and then shove the main loop in a try/catch block?

public bool TileIsOccupied(ushort position) {#if CHECK_BOUNDS if (!TileExists(position)) { Debug.Log("TILE QUERY", "TileIsOccupied out of bounds"); if (Debug.Settings.EnableExceptions) throw new IndexOutOfRangeException(); return false; }#endif return ((Tiles[position] & TileBehaviorFlags.IS_OCCUPIED) > 0); }

A little more cumbersome to write, but all I have to do is change one compiler option and it cuts it entirely. Or just change one or two debug flags depending.

Please elaborate.

That's not telling me much. I ask because the only programmer I've worked with IRL used all of those terms. He was the sort who spent lots of his work time in long, boardroom-like teleconference meetings which didn't seem to accomplish much, despite being a fixture of that company's procedures. He was a white (mostly French), former Army, and had a CISSP. He was a narcissist, liar, and all around cunt, but not a poo. He was the person who sincerely suggested outsourcing to poos.

"Code/Script Ninja," as best as I could tell, was code for "It's not stealing if nobody can see the source code to know that it happened."

I thought it was just some randumb lol XD shit, I don't think code ninja means anything.

Not a company I would want to support.

See pics attached and csswizardry.com/2010/10/hyperbolic-title-using-the-word-sexy-to-describe-some-code/

tbh I've never seen a poo who's described themselves as a code ninja rockstar artisan wizard. They normally describe themselves very formally and professionally, claiming they're one of the foremost experts in either Java or C# while being nothing close.

Your analysis of your coworker seems similar to my stereotype of the people who peddle this sort of garbage.

Code ninja doesn't mean anything, though; it's just a phrase people use to inflate their egos and be "hip" and "with it."
And I didn't even see that (((King))) was behind that bullshit, holy crap.

sage because not really on-topic
also captcha was "uk y gbp"

I don't want this kind of negativity in my agdg threads

I forgot to sage, my bad.

I'm having some trouble with these statements, I thought I understood how they worked but this isn't working as I thought it would so I'm confused.

rb.velocity.y > 0 ? true : false

This means
if Velocity.Y is bigger than 0 set true, else set false

Right?

That's another one that was frequently used. Everything I know about technology companies makes a lot more sense if they all actually do believe their own press. They're changing the world because they say so, not because they're doing anything relevant, let alone effective.

Would you prefer to be pozzed instead?

Agdg doesn't bend to this shit, it's the one oasis where we can just have fun and make games. I know that I and a bunch of other regulars to these threads would really appreciate it if this didn't infect these threads too.

polite sage for off topic

That should work. (rb.velocity.y > 0) also has the same effect too, so putting a ternary operator there is superfluous

I think it's having problems because rb.velocity.y is infinitesimally bigger than 0 so it's always true

I can't seem to find one good fucking tutorial on how to make blood sprites, let alone some sort of advanced blood system that doesn't just involve subUV sprites. How do i get an effect like pic related in UE4? At least as far as i can tell, that blood is 3D.

A ternary expression is an expression, and therefore will return true or false. But you're reading it right, yes.

I chuckled, but I agree with them. We should try to keep the threads as neutral and on-topic as possible, and mocking dumbass tech startups isn't exactly relevant to a hobbyist gamedev thread.

You should be using an epsilon for floating-point comparisons (e.g. public static final EPSILON = 10^-6). That compare should be (rb.velocity.y > EPSILON).

Never heard of epsilon for floating point comparison
I'll read up on it, thanks

UE4 applies shaders to moving splines to make smoke and splatter effects.

It's not a special programming language feature you'd have to look up, epsilon usually refers to a very small number in mathematics, and in this case you would check if your velocity is bigger than that small number instead of 0 so you have a little buffer.

Thank you, i'll look into it. Can you recommend any specific documentation?

You're both right. I'm dropping it. Polite sage.

If I had to guess, a few chunks (the parts that are affected by gravity and collision) of randomly generated size, each with a particle emitter attached to them (giving the spraying blood trail behind them as they move). Maybe add a few more particle generators at the point of impact for orange projectile like effect and the red blood trails that quickly disappear. Couldn't really tell you how to set up these particle generators. Maybe toy around with them and see what looks good.

Yeah, my main concern is the immediate blood spurt. All of my attempts look like complete shit, i've drawn a spritesheet in photoshop and made a SubUV sprite particle system with it, but it just looks horrible. If those particles in the gif are from a spritesheet, it would have a ton of frames, look at how its deforming every single frame. It has to be something else.

Sorry, but that's all I know from the old Samaritan tech demo. My own game project will be significantly lower tech.

I'd still recimmend doing something like 0.01f or 1/60f as your cutoff speed. Epsilon is ironically too small. You move like 0.00004 per tick but epsilon can be even smaller

That's the battle theme from Kouryuu Densetsu Villgust Gaiden, not a bad little game, I need to get around to playing it to the end.
youtu.be/8qCWxgSpohQ?t=6m35s

That's not right. A ternery expression is a condensed if/else function that will return A or B depending on whether a condition is true.

He didn't post code samples, so I'm not comfortable giving advice so highly contextual.

The return values of the expression he wrote are true and false, pajeet. I recommend reading comprehension courses.

Yes but ternery expressions are a fundamental part of many languages, and evaluate an expression and return one or two values. To say what you did implies it can only return true/false which is untrue.

Since the OP said "set true, else set false" and I had specifically emphasized "return true or false", I believed it would be very easy to understand and unambiguous that I was trying to differentiate the behavior of statements and expressions. And frankly I still believe that, and I think you're being pedantic.

they return a value but some languages may allow you to run functions instead of returning a value.

Programming is the most pedantic thing possible, though

Why would you even use a ternary operation to return true or false in the first place, you could just use "return (rb.velocity.y > 0)" itself.

???
You can run functions that return a value and use that value as the expression result, but you can't put void functions or assignment statements in the ternary operator. The ternary operator is an expression and must always return a value.

I should have said unnecessarily pedantic, but you're right.

I want to FUCK that silhouette a little too much. The loli police might come after you

So I have this half-baked idea for a game

RPG. Set on an earth that's been taken over by undead. Kind of like Breath of Death VII. But no post apcolptic type stuff. I'm thinking a powerful lich took over some something. Anyway you play a shambling corpse that just had it's vocal cords ripped out and left for 'dead' in a basement. They manage to get out and look for new vocal cords as you have some kind of important information. Reading and writing is reserved for the higher undead.

The gimmick would be taking limbs from the monsters you kill. Each limb has stats and durability. A beefy guys arm would have more strength etc. But use will wear down the durability. Maybe a mechanic where you can 'repair' some limbs? Dunno about that. But you'll be able to put limbs on ice to save them for later.

Sometimes you can do weird things with softly typed languages or scripting languages. For example, some languages treat null/nil/void/0 as false, and any other value as 1 or true. Thus, in something like >Javascript, you might be able to do

That gimmick is done well in Cogmind
gridsagegames.com/cogmind/
you may want to check it out.

:thinking:

That sounds like a fun brawler game. Do it well enough and make a loadout system, and maybe you could make multiplayer work.

Reading their documentation, it appears they allow if/else blocks to be written with ternary operator syntax. Which is totally wrong, just like everything else in Javascript. I'm going by C's semantics.
I'm fairly certain that if the two functions are both marked void, then this wouldn't compile oh who am I kidding, this is Javascript, but it probably would set the variable to undefined rather than null.

…Is that Rust? I think that's Rust.

It explicitly says C# in the image.

I know it does, but the syntax and keywords (ref, unsafe) are very similar to Rust's.

Generally, it's recommended to avoid using ref/out, unsafe, and a few other specific keywords in C#, because it's usually a symptom of bad program design (for the language). Also, anything goes with interop

How many anons are currently working on a project? Will it be ready to show off for demo day?

One thing I liked about cuckchans agdg years and years ago were the Progress Monday screencaps with literally dozens of shit games with little screencaps and patch notes so you could see how they were coming. It was comfy as fuck.

Recaps were cozy, it's a shame they attracted so much shitposting. I doubt I'll have more than a sandbox/compatibility test ready in time.

My shit's going so slowly that I really doubt I'll have anything ready by demo day. At best I'll have fixed the bugs that make it completely unplayable right now.

Someone is doing a neat thing now where they take the recap posts and put them into a deathmatch that they narrate. For example for Halloween every game was an NPC in a 3d level, and a Jason AI ran around killing them one by one. The last one alive "won" and there was a little video featuring that games twitter/tumblr. Its pretty neat. My anxiety made me stop posting recaps however, in case my game won and there would be attention paid to my shitty twitter/progress

Its nice, not super imposing. But maybe on a normal background it'll be more noticiable, which might make it too bold

e-Stonia, here I come!

There won't be a demo for mine and there won't be one for quite a while. It's quite a bit bigger in scope than most projects I've seen on here and I'll need way more time for the demo. Probably around a year or so.
That being said, I took a break from programming and am currently working on 𝓖𝓡𝓐𝓟𝓗𝓘𝓒𝓢. So I'l may just have at least something to show on November 11th.

I built a test level that allows me to test various player functionality. Everything from jumping, climbing and crouching to physical doors, elevators fall damage, varying footstep sounds and slopes affecting movement speed. It's only using checkerboard dev textures and right now I'm making it pretty, so it becomes one part testing scene for player related functionality and one part sample environment where I can mix and match textures.

I'm really proud of what it's looking like thus far. I think you Anons will like it.

Is the demo day an actual managed event, or is it just the day that we should all post demos?

Maybe my captcha is a good sign.

Can some artist create a logo for me?
I want a stylized rooster in front of (maybe mario) star for my company "cockstar"
Will post my sisters nudes as reward.

I wanted to play something but you just motivated me to do some more work. I still need to do those things for my game.
Do elevators take damage or does player take damage in falling elevators? Or is the player the elevator?

Done according to instructions.
Now, deliver.

how 2 make a database? and how does one make said database be able to be accesed by the internets?

Fixed it. :^)

Taking into account where we are here, I will assume that you weren't just being funny but actually are autistic. The truth is I forgot a comma.

You can't fug Faeries, in my setting they breed by channeling mana into each other by holding hands an egg slowly materialize between them by fusing their mana together, so they have no hole down there, Faeries also do not poop, their stomachs convert anything they eat into pure mana.

Do the fairies vomit out whatever they can't digest for some reason? In cute rainbow colors?

Is there any simple way to use the same input for both Mouse X and Right Stick X in Unity?

I'm fairly sure I can't assign them to the same input from the Input manager. Can I have a variable that listens to both values maybe?

faeries have a 2 way digestive system like jellyfish, make it cannon.

rainbow vomit, i like it, its canon now

huuum, will look into it, they are human-made homunculi anyways, could be interesting

float MyXInput = mathf.Max(MouseX, StickX);

Morning lads.

Sup

Almost, but this unfortunately means that if the stick or mouse is moved in a negative direction, nothing is registered

float MyXInput = mathf.Max(mathf.Abs(MouseX), mathf.Abs(StickX)); , if it works that way in Unity at least.

morning, hope u have a productive dev day

Add both and clamp to the [-1, 1] range?

float MyXInput = mathf.Max(mathf.Abs(MouseX), mathf.Abs(StickX)) * mathf.Sign(MouseX + StickX);
To preserve it being negative.

This worked, thank you

Coffee, tea, AGDG.

Thank you, lad. Same to you.

IF THIS IS IN C/C++ THIS CODE IS RETARDED SINCE ANYTHING GREATER THAN ZERO IS TRUE AND ZERO IS FALSE

It's not but thanks

Unless the velocity is negative, because everything that isn't zero is true. Try this:
if(-1){ puts(":>"); }

Don't need holes for what I had in mind.
I'll be sure to pump their tummies full of magic fuel then.

tbh pregnant faeries and male faeries must be awkward, i guess they really don't need sexual reproduction

Don't judge me

I can now move the character. It feels pretty good.

Progress feels good indeed, did you make that song or did you download somewhere?

i want underages to leave

It needs more of a buildup to the action. Look at how the Doom 4 trailer builds up with slow-motion atmospheric shots with a detached camera, instead of cutting straight to the action.

You will also notice that the gameplay comes in with the music, giving the reveal much more punch. The HUD is also turned off which is important as it focuses on the action. If you have trouble playing without a crosshair, put a piece of a post-it note on the screen where it should be and make yourself invincible.

I also think that you shouldn't start off with the chaingun and the plasma rifle, you'll notice in the Doom 4 trailer that the first weapon shown is the shotgun, which is like the second weapon you get in the game. If you show off the powerful weapons earlier, the shotgun reveal isn't as punchy as if it was revealed first.

Also, in some shots there is some youtube artifacting - you need to increase your bitrate.

That shot with the shark guy killing a monster is a bit clunky. I get that you want to show off infighting but it really kills the pace.

I also think that the deaths at the end and in the middle are lame as it looks like the player kills himself with his own rocket launcher. I think you should have one death at the end and it should come from a large/boss enemy. Also, reveal the weaker enemies first and work your way up. I don't know how strong the shark enemies are but they definitely don't look like the weakest ones and they take the punch away from the reveal enemies that come after them.

I think you should lower your FOV a bit - I get that high FOV is a staple of classic FPS' but a lot of the screen is wasted real estate that could be spend focusing on the action. I also think you should disable the flashing screen effects when you get hit when you are filming this trailer.

You need better music and you need to turn up the bass and get the viewer's blood pumping. There are times where you can't really hear the music over the action. Also, there are times where you are picking up ammo and there is a chinking sound effect - you should disable that when you are filming the trailer.

BTW, I think your game looks great and I don't really know anything about video editing. So take this how you will.

Nothing wrong with male fairies.

I know you have to pretend to not be a lolicon to shield yourself from the SJWs if you want to have a future, but you aren't fooling me.

I never owned a N64 ;_;
Its ok, playstation 1 was better anyways

She doesn't even have nipples, which is a perfect representation of the Faeries in my game

so if i was to use unity and i wanted to make a melee combat system with multiple weapon types. how would the animations be set up? would i need to do separate walk animations for different weapons equipped or would i just override the limbs that are holding the weapons? as to avoid clipping and retarded styrofoam club running animations.

embed related

as opposed to this

here's a few good resources that explain it better than I can:
youtube.com/watch?v=8VgQ5PpTqjc
youtube.com/watch?v=LNidsMesxSE

yeah, override the top of the body with an override layer in the state machine, and just use the base walk animation

things i learned when making firewatch….. you suggested it so ill watch it but come on dats funny

and then the second vid is the man who consorts with beasts. that has a fundamentally different approach when it comes to animation.

Finally got dynamic collision detection in 3D working last night.
It's done in a way such that both the collision shape and triangles can be moving and it'll still work.
Should open up some fun opportunities later down the road.

But fun is easier said than done.

be my guest to completely ignore the videos, due to being "triggered" as it were, idc

Each vid has different advice, and different perspectives on animation; in this type of thing it helps to look at different approaches (the good, the bad, and the ugly).
It doesn't mean you have to follow their approaches 100%, but some of their advice applies universally to animation.

How does the community feel about ecchi/lewd (non nude, non sexual) females? White mage in a robe, A-OK. White mage in a bikini though..?

Fucking do it man.

Rosen's a pretty talented game dev, he has a lot of clever ideas. I really like the idea of using keyframes and spring interpolation for weapon animations.

well honestly i liked the game play of the furry one. when i played a demo what a few years? back its kinda fuzzy for me the animations from the fps walking sim seemed like it was from a unity shill. who's videos i've already watched. kinda just wanted someone to tell me i was either doing it wrong or right with just animating separate walking/attack/run cycles for each class of weapon. built up off of a base walk/run/attack animation.

Like what I attached. Sexy, but not like mid-coitus or anything.

he is talented and his game is solid mechanically but i would say that his animations are a bit lacking. and honestly i don't get how i would use single key frames for animation in unity

Do it!

If you want to be extra productive, you could make the menu turn into a horizontal scroll when in a widescreen mode to keep the logo visible.

I sure wouldn't mind some big ol' titties

Firewatch was made in Unity, which is probably why you felt that way.

It's been a really long time since I've posted my project here, but since its the Halloween season I just couldn't resist. I posted a public test build last year in October which maybe some of you remember, so here's the next years test.
In case you never saw it/don't remember. the game is Occultus, it's a classic-linear style Castlevania throwback. IE, no controlled jump arcs, simple get to the end of the stage formula, and you have items you can throw that will help you get through it easier.
You can download it here
drive.google.com/open?id=0B1BkrdWVDsVxRFF3amk5cGVHekk

Also like last time, there's another survey that I would appreciate if you could fill out after playing. Don't have to, but it helps.
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc5JCCPBPxcOE-Ig-AdtVt049GmlqfixV1ro4kHjIPb2QjY7g/viewform

If you want a non-google link I can also provide that if you ask.
This time I've got the current iterations of the first two stages playable rather than just the basic first stage. I have the next two stages basically done but I wanna focus my testing on these two for now.

Also, if you wanna learn more about it before committing your time to playing, I write lazy blogs on my wordpress which you can use to check it out beforehand.
occultusdev.wordpress.com

Welcome back.
I gave the demo a shot and would like to share my opinion in more depth than the survey allows, ignore this if I sound like a raving lunatic.
Before I start I'd like to say that I've never played any of the castlevanias, so some design choices that carry on for nostalgia might be lost on me.
The intro text crawl is a tad too slow for my liking and cuts off really abruptly, making me miss the last sentence, I enjoyed the tasty artwork though.
Graphically the game seems all over the place, you have low detail flat colour sprites contrasting against high detail sprites. I thought this might have been an attempt at separating the foreground from the background at first but a couple of examples such as some of the background trees in level 1 seem to go against that idea.
Even some similar ideas are done differently throughout. There are some brick walls in level 1 that are very flat, simple and contrasted but others that are more detailed, it just seems odd to look at. Some things look really nice like the game over screen, but it clashes with the design of other sprites. (Also when the main character jumps he looks like one of the guys from beezlebox)
I remember you having a chat with someone a while ago about the lack of a pixel grid, and my lord is it obvious. It might be acceptable for the parallaxing backgrounds but for objects on the same plane it looks terrible. Also rixels on the piranhas looks bad but thats the only point I saw it used. The rafts on level 2 jump up and down at pixel increments which seems to juxtapose your previous disregard for the pixel grid which seems odd.
There doesnt seem to be a limited color pallete, I guess it's an artistic choice to add one, just my personal preference, I don't like the hue of red you used for the MC. The boss' health is too dark. I don't know what the breakable platforms in level 1 are supposed to be.
Gameplay wise it's pretty solid, the character moves as expected, if an attack doesnt land it seems like my own fault. I liked some small things like you making the player have to jump over the sinking pillar in a safe scenario before putting the player in danger. There are a few things that annoyed me though.
The spit that the lizard guys from level 2 throw at you seems like you should be able to duck under, but you can't. The piranhas are cunts on the first pass, but after that they trail behind the rafts and aren't a hassle at all. This might seem like a strange complaint but the rafts are too close to the edge of the water, if you want to jump on you need to take a step back so you dont jump over it, this makes the game seem like it exists in spite of its limitations on the players movement, rather than as a consequence of it.
You can stand on top of the platforms in the level 1 boss arena which makes the boss sprite clip into you and not damage you unless the horse rears.
Alot of these things are minor, but what really annoyed me was the checkpoints. I don't know what it's like in castlevania but I sure as dicks don't want to play it if it's as grueling as this. Getting all the way to the end of the tree area in level 2 only to accidently fall into an instadeath pit and have to go and do it over is fucking annoying. I feel like the game isnt fast enough for you to throw bullshit back to checkpoint insta death pits into the mix. An alternative is to place the player at the start of the screen with lowered health if they fall into insta death pits but thats just my quick thoughts with little idea of potential consequence to gameplay.
It took me a fair amount of time to get to the boss in level 2, when I got there I died pretty quickly. It felt like the laser beam didnt give me enough time to react, or maybe I suck dicks at the game, who knows. After that death I ran out of lives and had to start the entire fucking level again. So I did it again, it took way too long and I ran out of lives once more. At this point I wasnt having fun.
Overall I would say that it certainly has room for improvement, but I enjoyed most of it nonetheless

Holy shit, thanks for the in depth thoughts my dude. Very helpful.
Interesting that the text scroll cut out without finishing. On my end it finishes, there's probably something retarded I messed up on and it's counting frames or something before ending. As for the graphics being all over the place, the primary reason for this is because I did a lot of them a long time ago, and have been going back and redoing them bit by bit over time, and leaving them in the game as placeholders rather than just cuttin them out. So a lot of those things will change given time. But some of those like that wall in the first stage, I keep forgetting that it exists haha. Noted, I'll be changing those. Same thing with the fish rotating and the way the merman dies, they're just me trying some different things while I think about how to draw their deaths out. In previous iterations they had animations but I didn't like them so I just put whatever as placeholder.

As far as the checkpoints thing goes, yeah, its pretty much similar to how it is in Castlevania. You have checkpoints spread at intervals throughout the level and it can be brutally punishing to die. I'll have to see how people respond in general, but something I've been considering was either increasing the number of checkpoints in Stage 2(because I can see where you're coming from if you die in the second part of the cave area and go all the way back 2 rooms), or just spawning the player at the beginning of the current room(but this makes the game much easier).

Also, something important, when you talk about the pixel grid thing, where have you noticed it, other than the backgrounds? I was working on that for a while and I have temporarily given up on it with the backgrounds for the time being, but I was pretty sure that most of the moving components are sticking to the grid, other than maybe a few projectiles. In the logic, 1 "unit" in Unity I have set to 1 pixel, and I translate everything in increments of 1 unit, so they SHOULD be snapping to the grid. Insofar as my testing in the editor shows, at the very least things are always aligned when I step thru frame by frame(other than the backgrounds). Maybe it's happening during realtime motion? I dunno, if you could clarify that specific thing a little bit more I would appreciate it.
By the way, whats Beezlebox lol? I'm not familiar.

But actually after looking at those screengrabs a little more I can see where some things on the grid are off, like that tree. But with that specific thing, the reason it's off is actually REALLY amateur.
It's not actually part of the tilemap. Basically, I didn't want to reimport my tilemap just to add a tree here and there, so if I decided to add anything on the first stage I just slapped it in via Unity's editor. And after looking through them again some of them are not set at perfect 1-unit locations, some of them have x-values of like 1000.2 or whatever, and that moves them off the grid. I stopped doing that after the first stage but I haven't gone back to fix em. Doing it right now though.

beelzebox.net
Shodanons game. Your mcs helmet looks like the same pi symbol thats on their faces when you see it from certain angles.
You have alot of things doing smooth movement incrementing over less than 1 pixel like the waterfalls in the tree in level 2. Also in the picture from my post, the foreground tree behind the wall is offset if you look close enough.
I'll be back in about 7 hours to give more detail, I have to go to work.

I mean, it looks nice because a nip drew it properly, but can you? Can whatever gaijin scum you pay to draw it do i?

Reminds me of when I was back in college in 2009 which was almost 8 years ago, fuck what am I doing with my life

>Get to help them work on a game for free
>They chose XNA probably why I'm still using it, as penance for not actually doing anything and wasting their time

On the other hand, they released a mildly successful runner game for the iPhone en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravonaut

Take your time, I can wait. But yeah, in my second post I mentioned that tree, I actually just went back and fixed those right now. Too bad I didn't notice before putting the demo out. Maybe I'll sneak it in tonight. I'll have to just diligently go through each of my moving pieces to make sure it's all translating by integer units. I must have missed some. That waterfall though, is my great shame and I'm currently working on replacing it with one thats composed of animated tiles and not a mesh-based hack that I tried to come up with to work with Unity.

oh my fucking gosh i know i'm doing a shit ton of animations but how the fuck am i supposed to manage them? i got a blend file that is slowly breaking filling up the"action editor" and into unity i cant for the life of me figure out how to separate the rig and animations. am i retarded?

twitter.com/okokhaguki/status/912231102680465408
Oh

twitter.com/okokhaguki/status/923527954382036992

i had issues with this at first too (figured it out by accident).
just do a duplicate command (ctrl+D) in unity, while the animation is highlighted, and it will duplicate the animation to be separated from the prefab/imported model + animations; it'll then be a generic animation which can be organized.

if u figure out a good way to organize the animations within blender, beyond duplicating the rig/model as a new "blank" action editor leaving the original as a backup, let me know.
Though with the above unity tip you'll have the animations separated from the model in unity, and as long as you conform to Unity's humanoid rig setup they'll work just fine even if you change your rig; so u could just remove them in blender… but I'd be safe and have a backup blend file.

danka, ill try that. perhaps tomorrow i don't think tonight has been good on my hairline.

i'm not familiar with blender, but are you saying you're putting every animation in the same file?
if that's the case, what are the advantages to doing that? i don't usually combine stuff unless it's something that needs to be layered. each animation is a separate file, but maybe i'm retarded.

its not a benefit for blender but unity doesn't seem to like stand alone animations when it comes to blender. going to try thew

And it just fucking works, why the fuck does it not just let you fucking do that?

I got my development environment set up (pic related). I plan on doing vector graphics, flat shaded polygonal 3d, and maybe texture mapping if I'm not sick of DOS by then.

i know right, but eh if it works it works

In blender the best way I know of doing this is to have separate fbx files with each animation exported from the NLA editor.
Though… i'd prefer to consolidate my animations so I can easily change them at my current stage.
So something like folders in the action editor rather than such a manual workflow.
Honestly though a workflow like yours may become a necessity due to sheer amount of animations.

U can do the single frame thing with transitions, and mirrored states in your state machine (one pass/reach, then mirrored); though I don't recommend it tbh (as there's some issues with how unity's state machine tools are setup).
Also as far as animation quality goes it a 2 frame animation for running/walking will not work unless you have a similar setup as his character's "paws".
So for his characters they're only required to "touch" the ground and lift off, which is easily done with a single frame, but if you have an actual foot then it needs to account for not clipping through the ground (as feet arc before lifting off the ground).
So like minimum 3 frames for it to not look like crap, and then u can mirror it in unity; though with the whole blend tree stuff u can't use a sub-state machine for a blend node so u sorta have2 do a full animation.
So it doesn't really "blend" well with unity tbh, or a more traditional character design; with a higher standard for animation (i.e. no clipping).
His advice on extrapolation curves rather than interpolation curves does definitely apply, as does his Hippocratic oath of animation (do not interfere with the gameplay), and his idea that animations can be really simple but get convincing results if you do good curves + multiple layers of systems (secondary physics like character bounce, arm sway via ik, etc).

I've gotten rid of the if statement in my shader, now my shadow calculation fits into a single line:
visibility -= max(sign(shadowCoord.x), 0.0) * max(sign(shadowCoord.y), 0.0) * max(sign(1.0 - shadowCoord.x), 0.0) * max(sign(1.0 - shadowCoord.y), 0.0) * 0.5 * ceil(0.7-texture( shadowMap, vec3(vec2(shadowCoord.x + shadowMod.x, shadowCoord.y + shadowMod.y), (shadowCoord.z * shadowMod.z)/shadowCoord.w) ));
Have I gone too far?

Played through one more time, I didn't give the game enough credit the first time around. I like some of the thematic pieces like floating across the spooky body of water slowly in level 2. I called the cave in level 2 a tree, I think I thought the cave wall looked like bark.
I ended up putting on some songs from runescapes ost to fill the void of silence, it felt kind of dead otherwise.
Pic related are some things that stood out this time.
I would advise that you render the entire scene, or just the different parallax planes separately, to a canvas at the required pixel resolution (the size you are trying to emulate) than upscale to the size of the screen. That way everything will be aligned perfectly while not having to worry about pixel incrementation.
eg. you could have the rotating piranhas stay on the grid while still having the freedom to rotate. A consequence of that might be that the piranhas look funky, but it beats rixels
Another benefit of this is that you don't have to worry about rounding the position of the drawn sprite if you are dealing with floats. The waterfall would automatically snap to the grid because of the upscaled resolution despite translating on non-integer units.
I don't know if that made sense, I've only dealt with pixel perfect rendering in gamemaker but the same ideas should hold true for unity.
Good luck.

How do I scale objects to negative in the newest Blender and get a mirrored on X axis object? Pic rel what I mean exactly. The top example is what is happening, I scale to -1 on X axis with center as a pivot and I get this shit. What I want is at the bottom - a mirrored object on X axis.

It used to work the way I want but they fucked it up in the newest version. I hope there's some solution to this because if not I'll have to go back to older one.

If Blender is like other stuff I've used there should be a toggle between object-space and world-space. You want to flip the x-axis using world space.

(checked)
I usually set the 3D cursor pivot in the center and mirror the mesh that way (ctrl+m I think), the only problem with that is for some reason the normals get fucked up all the time so the normals of the mirrored model needs to be recalculated.

I tried to do what you said and it didn't work though it should have. This has to be a bug. If someone would have the same problem here's what I had to do to bypass it:
The problem is with objects that don't have applied rotation so doing this through a proxy somehow makes this work.

Just tried it and the rotation is still screwed up. Though thanks for the shortcut, I didn't know it.

Why would you resist? You are much welcome here. Please visit more often.

Sorry I didn't add your game to the wiki yet, feel free do add/change whatever you want
8agdg.wikidot.com/occultus

I'm kinda disappointed I coundn't run the game at what should be its 'native' resolution (or something close to it), which seems to be 160x120. I'd considering changing the aspect ratio to 16:9 as not many people have 4:3 monitors these days. Or even allowing for both.

Anyway, I imagine it would look really, really cool on a CRT, even ar 320x240. Just go to Unity Project Settings > Player and set scaling for DX9 and 11 to "exclusive mode". I wonder to what extent this would fix some of the pixel scaling/resolution problems as well.
Please make the UI elements scale with resolution as they obstruct each other now at low resolutions.

Bugs:
At a start of a level, I pressed jump and went to space. Couldn't recreate this.
And pressing print screen causes the character to drop by one pixel O_o

Oh and regarding this:

I see it too (and not only when the character jumps) and find it kinda cute and funny.
As I understand this, it's the holes in the helmet, right? It seems it's something you added to your sprites recently. I think the earlier version was cleaner and crisper.

Go to the modifiers tab (the wrench) and add a mirror modifier.

I just learned about Root Motion for animation.
As far as I understand it, the movement and speed is stored directly in the animation, then I use the script to trigger animation and my character moves?

Is this right?
How exactly do I go about adding root motion to animations? Is that done from unity or from the program you're animating in?

Part way through redoing collision. Before was handling all projectiles and entities at once which was a big mess, so instead now I'm going to resolve projectiles first against world surfaces, cull as needed, then handle entity collisions against valid projectiles and walls.

On an unrelated issue, what do you guys think about jump support? Is it going to break the feel of aping classics or just being hipsterish to leave it out? I'm leaning towards the latter where there isn't a good reason to have it missing besides saying X game didn't have it. In either case mods would be able to enable/disable it. Curious to what others' opinions on it are though.

Cool shit

Honestly I think jumping adds a whole lot of movement options, apart from basically enabling rocket jumping, it just makes the movement that much more fun. But again, that depends on your maps, if they don't have the ceiling space to do crazy maneuvers then there's probably no need for it.

set pivot point to 3d cursor in toolbar between shading mode and transform orientation.

wait you in edit mode?

Your advice is exactly the same as user but longer because it's not using a shortcut.

I didn't explain my intent clearly enough. It isn't to just mirror a mesh but to take many separate objects, duplicate them and mirror them without having to retort to tedious joining and separating them.

Although your advice is good up to "shift d" what does 's "x,y,z"' mean?
You mean Shift + X + Y + Z or what?

Thanks for such active help but I already found a solution for my problem. None of your advice work because it seems I didn't explain my problem clearly enough so here's a webm of issue itself, unsuccessful methods and my solution.

what are you trying to do nigga?

Thanks for giving it a try. That's absolutely bizarre that prntscrn makes him move down. I cant even begin to imagine why that happens. That key appears nowhere in my project settings so that's quite the mystery. Same thing with the character jumping into space. I'll have to take a deep look in my input code.
As far as the resolution thing goes, its something I've been working on as I go. Trying to get the UI elements at the top to stay in-scale with the rest is a real pain becauase right now I'm just using default Unity canvas elements.
Also I looked at that other game and I can see what you guys are seeing now lol. Yeah the stuff below the visor are the holes that let air in. I think it's a combination of the round shape and how big I made his head that makes it look so similar. Its also a fairly common type of helmet(bascinet/sallet whatever its called)

I'm trying to explain that I don't need help anymore.

Thanks for coming back in more detail.
I actually cheated and last night I stealth updated my upload with some minor tweaks to try to bring stage 1 more in line with stage 2, and to fix the misaligned objects(like that crow). Some things like the flare I haven't done yet though. I'm playing around with the tilemap too to make stage 1 look less flat, because if you see the video I did fir stage 4, you can see where I'm graphically moving towards. I draw things out flat at first(mostly my characters/animated things) and I later go back and make em look more detailed. I'm not a great artist so I just try to practice as I go.

Ill have to try that upscaling idea, it sounds good. Might take me a while to work it out but it sounds promising.

i came

Is there a 3D modeling software package that's actually comprehensible to a newcomer? From what I've heard about 3DSMax and Maya, their learning cliffs curves aren't much better than Blender's.

Wings 3D is easy to use but it can be tedious at times to work with it, also it supports making models only and creating UV-maps, it has some support for materials and textures but making a custom material on it can be difficult. Its good enough for some OTA and Spring modders

There is also Blender for Artist fork which is much more GUI centered and has basically no keyboard bind, asides from different usage style it doesn't offer any unique features.

Maps would be designed around whichever choice I go with. I think you're right though that it opens up a lot more potential.

Oh gosh.

Blender is very quick and easy to use for modeling once you get to know the essential hotkeys for view port, moving, rotating, scaling, extruding and deleting stuff. The rest of less used options you can get from the internet or menus when you need it. Aside from Blender I tried 3DSMax and it's very cumbersome, it's more precise than Blender but if you're trying to do something that doesn't have 100% precise than it's really annoying.

In other words, you'll probably learn to model something faster in Blender than in 3DMax. Don't know about Maya but I heard it's bretty gud.

Blender definitely has some serious workflow issues, especially related to texture creation.

I think u should do w/e is more entertaining for you.

U should look at the game maker's toolkit video, "do we need a souls like genre" (on moble so can't link easily).
It relates to your statement, and may give u a new perspective on your current approach to a rigid conformance to previous genres/sub-genres.

Better to look at unity docs for this one, as from what I've seen its not commonly used here, and btw unity manual docs has a root motion page with the deets.
Afaik the only user here who specified that they used root motion was tetradev… so yeah.

Should we make a Halloween edition?

Fuck no
It's took spooky to handle

boo

as far as I understand, you choose a bone in your rig to be the "root" in unity, and whatever position transformations happen to that bone will happen to the object the animator is attached to in unity.

best way i've found is to just animate normally, then transfer the x+z position values from your pelvis/hip bone to the root before you export to unity.

r8 these old spooky skulls

Spook/10, would stick dick in eye socket.

Reminds me of that guy that found a medieval tomb in his backyard and started putting his dick in the skeleton's eyesockets

I'll check it out, thanks for the rec.
That wouldn't really solve my issue with Blender. My problem is that when I try to do anything, I run into issues similar to where even though Blender gives you like 20,000 controls, the only way to actually do The One Thing You Want is through some overly-complex time-wasting workaround. You might think that post is an edge case, but in my experience Blender has more edges than a bismuth crystal, and hacky solutions are the rule rather than the exception.

(heiled)
b-but user, I look from there!

Must have been European

Made my first low poly male today, then put my gravestone texture on it and dude looks like a cyborg. I plan on modeling, unwrapping and rigging characters from scratch for a few weeks until I get good.

It wasn't his backyard, he was on a trip somewhere in Europe with catacombs.

Blender is fucking hard to use. The people that built it are clearly professional and very smart, but they have no idea how to design and interface or how to streamline their program.

As far as I understand it, if you keep trying and don't give up you will evenetually understand how it works, but it's going to take a while if you're not already familiar with 3D modeling.
I've got an artist at the moment that's modeling and animating for me, but if I have to do something quick I found myself getting used very quickly to Modo. It doesn't have the support the other programs have, but everything just seems to make perfect sense and it's really easy to learn even without tutorials.

but s,-1 works just fine s,x,-,1,enter if you want to be anal about it
just make sure you don't have this button active

>>>/tumblr/

Skullriffic but maybe move the eyes down and out 1px each.

Very spooky. Very appropriate.

Wouldn't he look better with smooth shader?

I'm not sure.

I meant with texture applied. Naked models usually look like shit with smooth shader.

>Because my game logic is tick based, but is deterministic, I have to do something on exactly the middle tick

Just a simple question, how bad of an idea is it to have a float that is constantly increasing every time Update() is launched?

Need it to count how much time has passed since the player got in the level

delete you're game

Why, it's coming along fine

Do it in the level/world manager or whatever, but not on every instance (though you could have a timestamp for when it was created or last updated)

delet!

count your blessings

hastebin.com/yesoceyayo.cs

No bully

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

it's shit and i fucking hate it

get the fuck in here memelords