Death of MMOs

I havent seen an even decent mmo in quite some time. I don't think I'm alone when I say I miss the days of Everquest

Will Pantheon Rise of the Fallen ever release? Will it suck?

Are there games without invasive cash shops?

Are there any good games coming out >2007?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/qvyvj
ghosttrack.com/
wiki.wyvernsource.com/index.php/Main_Page
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

New Mono-Account servers of dofus released a few days ago, but Mono meaning one account per IP not Mac Address means I cant play with my brother, and therefore dont want to

yes.
no.

Until indies start making MMOs, you can forget about playing a good new MMO ever again.

This isnt a blackpill thread.

What is there to look forward to?

We have IDs here. Go back to halfchan.

DOFUS is good.

Mono-account servers just opened up, and tons of people are playing. 2 servers are already packed.

Here's one guy that's trying to bring back something he made 10 years ago (but had to shut down for a variety of reasons including money, legal issues, and time.
imgur.com/a/qvyvj
ghosttrack.com/
wiki.wyvernsource.com/index.php/Main_Page

A pc (steam?) client is in the works. It's very beta and will likely be for a while, lots of bugs to fix, artwork to replace and new content that is desperately needed.

Seeing how MMOs are all mostly on mobile or moving to it, it's pretty much finished. The only thing you can do now that would revive MMOs is true immersive virtual reality.

I haven't played MMOs in years, but are they still all WoW clones that have you go kill a billion enemies to find a rare item they call quests?

MUDS are alive and well.

What does "mono-account" server even mean?

I like PSO2 but with the half translation and … i don't know some anons in this board kinda hate it for some reason

It has some stuff that is hard to reset if you do it wrong but in general it feels nice, the pace, the gameplay, the story, the hub, the soundtrack, items can be obtained without ridiculous amount of time

But well not everything is for everyone

Nothing sort of .hack// tier VR is going to bring it back, bros.

PSO is fun but it obviously failed in the west so of course some are going to hate it.

It's just boring combat, it tries to be something that it honestly isn't. Not to mention the game is grind until whatever max is now and then just check an EQ chart for the one you want.
Even then it's incredibly shallow, so it's more of a dressup sim than anything else

It doesn't help that people keep recommending it as an MMO when that's absolutely not what it is. The same goes for DDO and Vindictus. Next people will be saying that monster hunter is an MMO. That said, MMO's suck now so it's probably for the best that PSO2 sticks to its own style and avoids the cancer that's killing the MMO genre.

that game is unironically the worst even psudo-lobby game on the market.
The only reason people play it is because they really want another dragon's dogma and capcom managed to play off their blind devotion.

No argument here.

i only play it for the waifu dress-up game, like Champions (but champions has no waifus and is shit)

You know ROTMG is still running m8.

name one

Well if you choose an automated gun and just keep pressed the button and wait until everything is dead, yeah that should be boring

But even so bosses and enemies in higher difficulties get pretty aggressive, which is fun

So… what i get is, that this game is just an online game you can play with other people, in a large server….

Is there a specific difference?

Server capacity doesn't mean it's massively multiplayer. The key ingredient is simultaneous and connected gameplay by a massive group of players. If you had 100,000 people playing monster hunter but they're all capped to shitty 4 player instances then it's not an MMO. Just having a graphical chatroom doesn't cut it. Hell if the mechanics aren't in place to support the core gameplay mechanics being shared with a group of people ATLEAST on par with something like BF2 that manages 64 people, then you're not even in the realm of breaking into an MMO due to the simple fact that your game isn't 'massively multiplayer'. A game having a massive playerbase and also being multiplayer doesn't mean it's massively multiplayer any more than 'playing the role of gordon freeman' makes half life 2 an RPG. Otherwise shit like call of duty would be an MMO because all of your account data is stored on the same server as tens of thousands of other players that you may someday join a game with.

What stops you from playing old MMOs at private servers?
There are OG/early expansions servers for UO, there is 1999 Everquest server, Meridian59 got some servers going, Tibia 7.4 privs are more popular than cancerous 10.xx global, oldschool Runescape privs are alive and well, you might be just missing on good WoW servers since blizzcunts are on full force crackdown against them.

You really don't have to buy into (((modern))) MMOs meme. Private servers for old ass good MMOs are here to stay.
Now go and play whichever mmo gaem you loved, you scrub.

it means that dofus was only "thriving" because most of the playerbase was multiboxing. it genuinely became the only way to get things done

I now regret not getting into something like dofus or ragnarok on their apex. Are they still "world simulation" populated?

PSO2 is not an mmo.
It's a single player game with always online DRM and micro transactions.
You don't call Diablo 3 or POE mmos right?
This shit is the same.

Playing old MMORPGs on private servers is a hollow experience, everyone knows they're playing an old game on a fake server - nothing has any weight. It's like visiting a school you went to - you'll marvel at how small it actually is.

OSRS.

This still hurts, RoTMG was fun as hell
Didn't Kabam sell it off though?

People seem to have a rather extreme hate boner for PSO2 here, and for the weirdest reasons. I remember one guy who kept going on and on about how the game's official servers would die in six months (mind you, this was about two years ago when PSO2 had become the second most popular online game in Japan). He had nothing to back up his retarded statement, and it turned out he was just saying it because he was butthurt that he bought Phantasy Star Nova instead of just getting PSO2 for free. The game is far from perfect, but it's still light years ahead of the trash people here list as better, like Warframe or Tera.

I agree. Private servers never have the old feel of the original game whether they have decent number of players or not (and most of the time they don't). They're either barren ghost towns that make you feel desperate for trying to relive an experience you won't get again, or they're so warped you may as well be playing something different.

I don't necessarily agree as long as it's fairly closely representative of the original product. Sure, you'll never be able to enjoy blind wonder/wander and the age of discovery in any MMO you've played, but if an MMO holds up without your nostalgia goggles on it's worth playing. I play several rereleases of old MMOs and enjoy them as much as I did a decade ago.

meant for

Legends of Aria. It's going to be UO 2.0

Looks a LOT better than when it was Shards Online. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot with you guys if you wanted to play together.

At least nova attempted at making serious and dark story in the vein of the original PSO.
Too bad it's just shit video game in general.
PSO2, while being golden as a video game, still has circus of a setting like PSU.
I guess we can't have everything.

Disagree, It all depends on a server you chose.
For UO, T2A and Renaissance servers are the real deal now.
I've been playing as well on few serious private servers of Tibia 7.4, enough serious to not only get lots of people but also the economy… people paying for monthly premium account renewals, either real money to the server owner or buying them through other players in exchange for gold. And players doing the "illegal" trades likes buying other peoples characters for real money. The bloody record was a swede blowing 1100 euro on top level character just for the sake of server war he lead on, 1100 euro on a fucking character, on a damn private server, of forgotten, pixelated shidd gaem.
It wasn't an isolated case either, people buying high levels characters for several hundred euros, as well as buying ingame gold from other players for real money, is a daily norm at these servers, with character prices being 5 times higher than what you see at official nu-Tibia servers, and gold being like 20 times more expensive due to 7.4 privs not being overrun by cavebots.

If anything, I've experienced those MMOs on steroids compared to what it used to be at official servers 10-15 years ago. Players that are focused on their goals, knowing what they are doing because they already been playing same game/same version of it for ages, strong "constructive" interactions [old men not being afraid of forming bonds, helping out each other ingame and irl] as well as destructive ones [power abuse, you can get killed anywhere, anytime, sick traps and ruses to loot your goods] and mad never ending pvp ride.
The only issues with old UO and old Tibia is that they are both time sinks that require huge, continuous commitment to play. It's not something that you can keep doing indefinitely.