Console RPGs

What are the must-play console RPGs which can be Emulated on a PC? Never had any consoles and have played most, if not all cRPGs and am looking for something new.

Also, are there any jRPGs on PC which aren't trash?

Even as a kid?
Damn OP, that's… actually pretty unusual. I feel sorry for you.
In terms of JRPGs for PC, Trails in the Sky is pretty good, though its very long and expansive.

Obviously you'll want to emulate some of the Final Fantasies, I recommend IV, VI, VII. I've seen a lot of others recommend VIII and X.
Chrono Trigger is an objective masterpiece. Personally I preferred the DS version, but the SNES version is still amazing.
I've been told Dragon Quest has some great ones, I'm planning on playing V soon so I'd recommend that.
I haven't played Golden Sun yet either but that's one people also seem to love.
And of course the SMT series is always fantastic as well, very brutal though.

if he ignore the barebones gameplay

Bloodorne is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Never mind, thought you were asking for console RPGs that can't be emulated. My bad.

I still haven't finished part 2.

play final fantasy 7 and panzer dragoon saga

This game will tell you if you actually like JRPGs or not. If you don't like this game, then the whole genre is pretty fucked for you until you start to veer away from "RPG" territory.

I know it's a problem with me, but I can't do it.

Didn't mean to sage.

damn, user, its like you hate OP

Eh, don't remember people having anything but NES Knockoffs in Eastern Yurope anyway. And that was in the late 90s.

Then no, there aren't any JRPGs you would like. Maybe something that's barely an RPG, like Vagrant Story or Parasite Eve.

Didn't realize the console situation was so unfortunate there user. At least you're discovering it now.
To be honest you have enough suggestions in this thread to where I'd start doing research and narrowing down quickly which you'd put first on the list of immediate must-plays, else you might never decide
I'd personally put my vote forward for Chrono Trigger.

If you want to add more to the list, Tales of the Abyss is pretty good. Radiant Historia is also fantastic. Xenoblade Chronicles is solid. Suikoden 1+2 is good too.

Hopefully that helps.

If you want a fucking top tier JRPG, you can't do much better than Shadow Hearts 2: Covenant. Emulates well on most PS2 emulators.

Absolute motherfucking stone cold classic game.

Its an alternate history grim fantasy adventure set during WW1 across Europe and Japan. The first game is good too but you shouldn't feel you have to play it in order to get to 2.

Its got a great combat system with timed button presses similar to Paper Mario or Stick of Truth, a big cast of colourful characters, occult conspiracies, comedy, drama, tragedy, puzzles, lolis, waifus, pro wrestling vampires…

Seriously, just really fucking fun. One of my fondest memories of halfchan was a thread I started about it where someone started LPing it with screencaps and we had a blast.

Go play it.

Is TITS longer than DQ7?

Great game. It's basically a next gen Saga Frontier with more complex combat mechanics.

Start with Phantasy Star 4 and Breath of Fire 3. Those are easy to get into.

I'd still say to play SH1 first to get a more full experience, given Covenant is a chronological sequel with returning characters, and to better appreciate the evolution of the combat system.

Or are trying to argue the degree of actual roleplaying involved and that "most JRPGs aren't RPGs" or something?

The mother/earthbound series is decent. Just be careful who you bring it up around.

OP, do not fucking play this unless you were born with S Rank autism.

Here, start off with something simpler instead.

I never played TITS but I did just finish Trails of cold steel 1 and 2. I enjoyed it. Comfy JRPG.

Most of these recommendations are shit for entry level. Here's an easy questionaire:

Chrono Trigger + Chrono Cross

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Secret of Mana

There, done. All of these are amazing and they are far better as entry level games to the genres.

Depends if you include TiTS 1/2 as a single entity or not The game was too big so they split it
DQ7 is bigger than either on their own but smaller than them combined, also there's less time bloat in TiTS, i.e. no mass collecting of stuff, especially TiTS2

Well, I'll be checking out Trails in the Sky, looks pretty neat.