Timeless Games

Which games have held up to the test of time? What games do feel will always be enjoyable to play despite the graphics becoming dated or even the presence of annoying bugs?

I think its hard to eliminate nostalgia from my thought process, because Medieval 2 does hold a nostalgic place in my heart. But I do think someone entirely new to even the franchise itself could really get into this game.

Minecraft

Great game. Sadly last time I played it on a genuine win 98 machine it kept crashing to desktop every 30 min or so. But that was a long time ago, maybe there's a community patch that made it more stable.

Medieval 2 is amazing.

Still one the best strategy games of all time and hasn't been topped by any other Total War since.

The GOG installer works on modern machines.
I also have the 1.13 version installed, and haven't had any crashes so far.

Even when I was a kid, I could tell that every corner of Ra had a level of care and detail that was hard to find anywhere else.

Baldurs Gate was different, I didn't play it until recently, but it was pretty obvious why people have been trying to imitate it forever. Lacking a lot of modern comforts even with mods, it basically has everything an RPG should.

The graphical leap between Rome 1 and medieval 2 is pretty big. Medieval 2 started getting in small details like more individual looking soldiers, dirty torn up banners, rustic buildings, and junk laying around on farms

Pic related is from my shitty rig from nearly 10 years ago with AA off

Excellent taste OP

Good to know, if I ever pick it up again I'll look into it. Danke.

Genesis era classics. Capcom CPS1-2 games. Fallout1&2. Some SNES titles, Link to the Past I'd consider one of the better zelda series.

Honestly I played FEAR when it was new and thought it was amazing, then never revisited it until last year and thought it was extremely dated. There are other FPS from that era that are still fun but FEAR is repetitive as fuck, it reminds me of a light gun arcade game like area 51, but you move your player. You just move from one set to another and know you are going to have a battle with enemies that act predictably.

Is that person in the foreground doing the autistic screeching pose?

That pic is from a long long time ago…

The space donut never gets stale.

Addendum: I am more a fan of RTW, war dogs are the best goddamn thing ever.

Not vidya but I installed Amapi 6.1 on Win 7 yesterday and the shit just werks.

>back when EA weren't total shiteaters
Cities Skylines is talked about as a possible replacement, but it still doesn't match SC4s depth, especially with mods like NAM and CAM.

Why can't EA just release the source already? They still can't be making money of this game.

I like Third Age Total War but I'm not too fond of vanilla Medieval II, oddly. It's a shame the turn and load times in the mods tends to take forever.

Is there any reason to play Jagged Alliance 1 before playing Jagged Alliance 2 if I've never played either game?

you already know why

i'd also like to know this
you might want to mod ja2 since the entire first part of it consists of enemies wielding pistols who can't do shit versus your smgs and long arms

I never liked FEAR much. I thought combat was fun, but the game constantly interrupts you with shitty J-horror inspired cinematic sections. Pretty much unplayable, in my opinion. Couldn't finish it.

There's many games I'd consider timeless but off the top of my head, Warcraft 3 is probably a perfect example. Nothing about the game ever gets old for me really. Battle.net is still active, people are still making maps and the music is ridiculously good.

Nostalgia surely plays a huge role for me with these, but they are pretty damn fantastic RPGs

It's like you fags are forgetting the quintessential oldfag games, and Licensed games smh.

Oh man i always fucking remember that game, i mean having a full control of a car in your city that you've built was just mind-blowing to ye olde me, and the tanks / jets that can get will never top anything else.

user that game was just released a few years ago, its not really old
OH wait,

I do like them, it's just everybody's fucking played them. maybe get some new material or try something new for once.

Oh sure, those games that i posted might have been the 'essentials' for Holla Forums but always remember that there is so much a man can play i.e me who haven't played any of Troika's games. But still i see you point, people have already heard of those games to the point of repetition and i should be posting the lesser known ones.
Too bad you have to be a faggot to make your point, now go post some more 'obscure' games you picky cocksucker

bumpan 4 classic gaemu

Probably not THE best, but any time I pop these bastards in I have loads of fun like I'd be playing them the first day all over again.

Midway was good, but I preferred Pacific myself.

Diablo 2, as shit as the graphics are now they've been relatively shit for a long time and it's held up through all of that.

I'd argue the game is better now than ever before thanks to skeletons getting reworked (fewer of them but they're actually useful and it's still a lot of them) and respecs being added.

The list goes as follows:

Games do not "age". All you are saying when you say that a game has "aged poorly" is that you were too ignorant or too tasteless to recognize a poor game when it was released.

I feel like MGS2 aged amazingly well for an early PS2 title. Mostly due to very smart design decisions to get around the polygon and texture limitations.

Games "age" because standards change.

Especially with the introduction of 3D, developers had to experiment a lot before figuring things out. As an obvious example, the early Tomb Raider games were fantastic at the time, and they're still good, but it's undeniable that the tank controls feel clumsy and outdated now.

Also, low framerates and simple graphics that we accepted because having any 3D on a lowly 16-bit console was jaw-dropping, but now we are pickier. And we should be even more, there is no excuse for anything less than a solid sixty.

I just bought Medieval 2 on Steam it's really good.

That spongebob game was surprisingly pretty good, they even had an alright Mario Party clone as well.

Same here but by 2009 the game felt outdated for me tbh

You're totally fitting here bud

Also i'm gonna spice things up a little here
What mods do you consider to be timeless ones anons? Bear in mind that i'm excluding mods that have been ascended into full-fledged games here
I'll start with these M&B classics

What the fuck niggers?

I will always be forever salty about Civ 5 and 6. Civ 5 was made by toddlers, Civ 6 was made by sjws and is a fucking childrens game. Not to mention the US civilopedia page comes off as anti American to me.

Have you tried Rhye's and Fall?

Ah, CIV 4, I don't know how much time I've puit into the game since it released. It's one of the only games I keep going back to. I've pretty much lost all hope for a good Civ after 6. I just want civ 4 with more features and better graphics, is that so much to ask? Nooo, we got to have """""innovative"""" new concepts like 1upt that shit all over the entire concept of civ games.

All my years of playing, I actually haven't which is funny. I recently started playing Civ 4 again and I should try it.

Amen. I sort of like the stacks, gives the perception you're in command of a giant army instead of 5 where you have a dozen or so units. I gave up hoping for a good Civ game after 5. I consider Civ 4 is a masterpiece, everything blends so well together
Fuck I could go on.

-Top tier models and particles effects plus FX
-Top tier netcode
-Top tier RTT gameplay
-Top tier redpilled singleplayer campaign

-Open Ended gameplay and map thats barely done today
-Top tier visuals and animations that still hold up to this day
-Top tier gameplay full of content and choices to make
-Aliens vs Commie Gooks with Giant enemies

-Top tier gameplay design that stil being ripped off even today
-Top tier level design still being ripped off even today
-Top tier suffocating alien atmosphere
-Tight as fuck controls

-Shitton of content
-Shitton of different designs
-Shittons of choices for an RPG which even makes you lose party members
-Time travelling insane as shit plot that wraps up decently
-Shitton of endings
-Almost made me cry
-Comfy as fuck

-Shitton of content
-Top tier gameplay and map design
-Super moddable
-Community is was autistic as shit and created a shitton of TCs that are now games, even more than Volvo
-Still mods being made for it
-Top tier netcode

Honorable mentions
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R SoC for its atmosphere, RPG elements and A Life
-Supreme Commander for its scale, top tier designs and visuals and gameplay
-Shadow of the Colossus for its top tier visuals and atmosphere with Boss enemies that function as a puzzle plus top tier animations that still hold up today shame it runs like shit

Medieval II's UI and campaign management have not held up well

The Legend of Dragoon.

Better than the trash CA now makes

bump

Very arguable to be frank.

quintessential oldfag games coming through

My fucking nigger.

Pic related is 20 years old and is more popular now than it's ever been.

It's comfy af and the random map generation ensures every single game is unique from the last. It's easy to learn but difficult to master. A true classic.

Mount and Blade Warfare and its mods. Gekokujo, Fantasy in Calradia, etc.. especially. But I've found it a little unstable.

I think the agreed-upon death date is when the Uber update came around, but the zombie is still fun to play. For a multiplayer game, it has lasted a very long time and still has a consistent player base. I'd say that it's second only to Starcraft and Warcraft.

You can tell Master of Magic is great because literally every game that has tried to capture its "magic" (heh) has failed in one way or another. There's nothing else like it, and not for lack of people trying.

disgusting

Swat 3 was better but it seems nobody played it.

Agreed. Still the best over all Total War game in my opinion.

Medieval Total War 2 is the only TW game I ever played.

Been playing it through months now, there is just so much content and the campaigns take so long. After I finished it there was a ton of cool mods.

How bad exactly is Empire compared to Medieval 2? I want to get into the newer entries of the franchise but everyone talk like the quality only went downhill.

Honestly, the other Total Wars aren't that bad generally, it's just Medieval is a stand out title. I think most people agree the Shogun is also solid.

Holy shit

How is Empire?

Couldn't say honestly. Only played Shogun 2 and Medieval 2.

Surprised no one has posted this yet

Very buggy. the Ai doesnt work well with projectiles. Napoleon is more of an expansion of empire than its own game and plays alot better. the ai is still retarded though.

Because its better in every way.

Body harvest 64

Kirby
Pong

That sucks. I like the time period it is set in.

multiplayer is ok if you can find anyone. but you can just steamroll the ai as they usually just stand there and take canon fire.

I don't care about multiplayer.

Should I just get Napoleon then?

while napoleon has better mechanics, empire has more playable factions and units. empire also has alot more mods. personally i prefer napoleon but thy both suffer from the same problems, either is fine just to scratch that world conquest itch.

Is there something like a Stainless Steel mod for Empire?

No, Empire isn't that moddable

Swat 3 had the most kickass genre-specific theme, Its stuck with me all these years.

There is no more strategy on the battlefield from Empire on out. The AI just charges right at you and numbers become the only thing that really matters. Family trees are also gone starting with Empire. Then, after Empire comes ever-increasing DLC kikery. So, even if you are willing to stomach the cut features and crappy battle engine, you're still paying 8 dollars each to get access to all the factions. Total War series died with the release of Empire.

You'll want to play Rome 1 and Shogun 2, and try Medieval and Shogun 1 while you're at it just to see how far the series has progressed (and then decayed). Everything else is mediocre compared to those titles. Empire isn't completely awful, but it really could've been so much more that just talking about the game makes me sad.

It's still amazing how the SWAT games were actually designed by the guy who co-founded swat

Hopefully, Vintage will bring in some life to the game, even if it's just for 20ish players.
Lemme add some to the pile.

no way, that's pretty impressive. What's his name? It'd be interesting to see if he's contributed to other media.

Max Payne had aged by the time 2 came out, graphically i mean, of course those games still rape every TPS out there.

This tbh, this game never gets old.

It was good for 2 hours

I'll just leave this here.

Also, don't be a fool, Marshall.

take your own advice for once

A shame Punisher is impossible to run on Win 7.

no. there's not much of a cinematic experience
just be sure to get what this guy did

Thanks to Holla Forums I found these awesome games a long time ago.

Oh you mean "good games" OP? Games are not fine steel subject to rusting or milk subject to souring. Bit rot doesn't magically make sound game design turn unsound over time.

SNES classics in general are timeless.

Try the other two games by Apeiron too.

The only two games i never deinstall.

Legend of Mana. - Everything but the special effects were painted with watercolor. Gameplay and music are great. Combining abilities isn't really optional because it's the only way to get better techs, but it's well worth it. I've never encountered a bug in the game except when my disc was scratched.

Kebab removal is a calling only for true men like you and me, user.
I've taken over about half of the turkish territory. Unfortunately Hungary decided to try and take some of my northern provinces. I'm trying to make a temporary ceasefire with kebab so I can move some forces to defend the new war front. They were willing to give me a ton of money for the peace since I so thoroughly kicked their asses. But then I got greedy and decided to take one last settlement before asking for peace and now they're having none of it. Guess I get to remove kebab for good while I try and stop the hungarians from taking my rightful clay.

I have fond childhood memories of TA but SupCom is superior in almost every way. The one saving grace of TA in this day and age is that it runs on potatoes so it's easy to get a large group of people for a LAN party.

Mah nigga. That game was underrated as fuck. The trap mechanic, the strategy of it, fun shit.