Greatest Hits

Other urls found in this thread:

jetmoto.wikia.com/wiki/Jet_Moto_2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's shit and I'm glad they got rid of it

the PS2's red is much nicer to look at than the PS1's virulent green

the greatest hits system was created by sony for games with high sales numbers and dwindling stock to provide an additional batch for public consumption. It technically doesn't ruin collectability of the original (if indeed one cares about that) and still allows more people to play the game and at a reduced price (a godsend for RPG players in the 90s)
it'd be interesting if it was game review scores, but how many metrics would you have to add up here?

Some greatest hits releases had changes or patches. I think more copies of a game floating around is a good thing.

How big is your nose?

How is it shit to reprint a game?

Fucking hated the EU PS3 "Platinum" games with the yellow outline and a silver case. Shit stands out like a sore thumb on a shelf next to a regular red outline with clear case games.

Nintendo had their Player's Choice back during Game Boy and SNES era, and probably runs long before that, in certain ways, like reprints of cassette games on Euro Microcomputers.
I do know PS1 Greatest Hits tended to cut a few printing corners. Discs would have simpler designs on them

Yes, discs would have the art in black and white, manuals too.

I appreciate great games for a cheaper price. I think people are way too autistic about "muh box art".

I prefer when they go full on cost-cutting and provide you with the cheapest shit possible. There used to be a lot of publisher-independent companies that did this with PC vidya but it's a harder market to stay in with the rise of digital distribution.

It's great, but sadly it's never going to happen in the modern era and most games will be stuck with the initial press run.
But IIRC games get more initial prints, so it isn't so bad.

Because then collecterfags have to try even harder!

God I miss these kind of deals.

Also it is fucking aids and cancer that PC games never get reprints

And I mean games that aren't Diablo 2 or the sims

Fuck you I like buying things

Can't buy what they don't offer. :^)

Do you like selling things?

It depends.
I do like Garage Sales.

If you're in bongland visit Cex and look in their PC section. Games average 50p each outside of big series/licensed vidya because there's so little demand. I stock up on the best 20-30 every month or so.

I'm not saying you should do this, but you should think about the selling or trading of *illegal* copies of games.

Don't to pay your taxes and die for israel your nation. :^)

Also charity shops, they're often even cheaper.

I prefer it when they go the extra mile and use new cover art.
Yes

Be the world you want to see in the change.

Aesthetically, i don't like most of them, like some of the early ones just place a badge on the cover art and it's fucking obnoxious.

Bullshit, tons of modern games get reprints all the time, to the point where it pretty much crashes the value most of them have. Shit like Class of Heroes 2g, some Asian english vita games like Oreshika, Infinite Space, and Class of Heroes 2g, for example used to go for much, much more than they do now

Selling pirated games ain't changing shit.

It makes people more cautious, but that's about it. Far as i can tell SNES mini has done more to make games cheaper than shitty bootlegs nobody likes or wants.

Design variations aside, what's important is:

Games like GT2 had some pesky bugs fixed in the Greatest Hits version.

Today we have the GOTYAY HD+ FULL DLC versions instead. I prefer them because they're cheaper than the original game, have smaller (or even zero) updates and include all the crap I'd normally have to shell out extra cash for. I'm glad I didn't get neither RE7, Nioh nor Horizon early this year - it hasn't even been a full year and GOTY editions of those three are incoming… Waiting pays out.

They can reprint a game without changing the label you dumbfuck.

Only retards do that, like collecting hockey cards thinking they could be worth something more than the print and the material in the future.

GameCubes is Ultrashit. I wish i Had an original print of every GC game i own.
Ps2s is ok.

It's a fucking ordeal, let me tell you

pcgamingwiki

Pretty sure this only had different art because it had additional outfits added.

You're creating and distributing physical copies.

PS1 platinum is the only one that doesnt look like fucking trash.

tfw got an original copy of VtmB for $5

Jet moto 2 greatest hits version is different from the original. It had only 4 racers in a race and all original tracks unlocked. It also ran at a steady 30 fps. jetmoto.wikia.com/wiki/Jet_Moto_2

Try living in Cuckada where all box art is polluted by 50% french, completely ruining the collectability. Futhermore, nobody on ebay will buy it.

They do that in America too for some games so they don't have to make two separate NA versions. Fuck Canada for ruining my boxes.

I didn't mind the original PS1 "Platinum" range since it was simply a tasteful platinum recolour of the typically black Playstation branding. But over time they changed it to some garish black and yellow scheme or something IIRC.

knows it

I thought it became green?

This will always be the best Greatest Hits box.

pretty sure they just transformed it into "definitive editions"

sure as shit was fun times

It's the same damn game. That aside, I really like the Xbox ones and prefer that silver case over the green by a large margin

To be fair, there are other ways of saying "this game sold 1M+ copies" without ruining the original packaging. Double-sided covers, small inserts, stickers on the shrink wrap, cardboard sleeves, you name it.

Not that I really care. I mean these aren't made for collectors, they're made to grab as many sales as possible with a lower MSRP. The label is a deliberate marketing strategy: They want to show you that it's good and cheap.

good and cheap isn't really a bad thing. Like I said, I think it's a good thing that more high demand games are out in the world for people to get. Earthbound sold a million units but nobody was reselling them, so prices went nuts. Imagine if it got a re-issue with no guide? 2 million more units floating around maybe? Much cheaper copies?

What part of Canada do you live in? I'm a leaf too, and the box art for my vidya isn't 50% french.

God i always hated those covers.
Also the European cover for the PS "platinum" series were Always terrible looking.
The idea of a cheap release was great and should come back, but the cover aesthetic was awful.

Yes that was the best one, not overly colorful and with the original artwork intact.

In America was green and called "greatest hits" in Europe we had those ones called "Platinum" series.

I don't know why they didn't just stick with the PS1 way of doing it and just change the black bar to platinum.

Did somebody at Sony have a hate boner for Europe? The American versions of those covers look so much better. Instead of a fiant yellow border, there's just a tiny box at the top saying platinum hits.

Not inclined to buy Greatest Hits style prints myself (I have none, and many of my favorite games didn't even sell enough to warrant that treatment). That said, I will say that the red PS2 and PS3 cover banners aren't too awful compared to how bright the PS1 slime-green and Gamecube caution-yellow ones are, and for a cover-within-a-cover style print, the Wii's Nintendo Selects actually look rather classy (compare with how bland Japan's PS2/PS3 the BEST line look, or how awful the attempted "Konami's Best" DS covers were). "Touch Generations" style GH DS prints can go fuck themselves (moving the cover art down and cropping it off to fit an ugly orange banner), and with the PS3, the bold red cases can be rather ugly and have more issues going with the cover art compared to the clear original label cases. I will admit though that some Greatest Hits do have perks over the original (IE: Spyro games having music/bug fixes), but I really hate how some companies get lazy and just make what should have been (or even was in other regions) a separate special edition rerelease into a GH style reprint, like Konami did with Silent Hill 2's Director's Cut here in NA.

Speaking of Sony, they really fumbled their banner/spine tag style for seventh gen, compared to prior generations. Looking specifically at NA releases:
I don't know if any of the games that fell into the last category sold enough to get a Greatest Hits version, and it seems to have been up to the publisher if they wanted to use that format, but still. Even with just the original label ones, forgoing any red cases, it still makes any row of PS3 spines kind of ugly under standard alphabetization.

How in the hell that happened?

Not always. Square tended to leave the manual's color printing intact for GH reprints.

now check this shit out

Сука блять

Маму ебал

Nice.

THIS

The covers look like shit, but I have nothing against cheaper games that are hard to find.

PS2 greatest hits was the worst for me, the shade of red was an eyesore. Platinum hits for xbox was less of a problem, and I never complained much for different prints of ps1 era titles.Must have been the color alone.

Yep