Devil Daggers Thread

Post strategies and spawnsets

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/app/422970/discussions/0/1483232961033779525/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Have you considered playing Quake? There's twenty years' worth of mapsets for you to catch up on.

This is now a Quake thread.

You can create and use different spawnsets and arenas for training and so on
steamcommunity.com/app/422970/discussions/0/1483232961033779525/

This is now a Unreal thread

Are you doing the shotgun blasts on the spider? Depending on your aim 3-4 should be enough, the blasts stagger it a bit so you can kill it before it closes.

I bet you think Tetris is shit too.

Usually not, i use the blasts pretty much only for jumps. Is it faster than using the normal shot?
I can recommend killing big skulls and spires only, and just kiting small skulls around to shoot at them when you have downtime. Also i found out that its possible to kill the small spires before they ever release a wave if you're fast enough.

Farm the wave of Squid I & Squid II after the first spider so that you reliably get your Lv. 3 Daggers before that huge wave of Spiders starts

Best record is I think 310, I'm hoping to break 400 the next time I binge on the game. It's mostly a matter of getting past those three Gigapedes consistently.

You shouldn't try to kill the small squids before they spawn because you'll get less gems and the only one you have to worry about is the horned skull since its movement is hard to keep track of. In fact, in the top runs they actually keep the squids alive for a bit to farm them and get upgrades earlier.

Some people say to not farm until you're used to the game, but I could never get past the triple spider spawn at ~200 seconds without getting level 3 daggers (make sure you kill the first centipede quickly too).

Well, I don't really like farming that first wave of Squids, I feel like things can get out of hand since your weapon is weaker and you don't hit the Lv. 2 daggers when you normally would.

I only farm two extra waves out of them so I can get the level 2 upgrade before the spider, it's the only time in my best runs where I would otherwise have downtime if I didn't farm.

Until when? I find its pretty hard to kill the centipede while having to strafe around to dodge all of the little shits, so i always try to clear the field until it spawns

Also: What does the flashing of the level 3 hand mean? What is it about the homing missiles?

ONE LEVEL
ONE WEAPON

Until the first Centipede I is about to spawn. That's what I do, anyway, because I want to get a nice safe kill on the first Centipede. I'm forgetting the timestamps a little but I think I make sure to clean them all up by the time that last Squid I spawns around 1:08.
It just means you have some homing daggers available.

Can you? I could never hit Lv. 2 before then even if I killed every Skull II immediately as it spawned, that's why I didn't like it. I guess I just need to practice more.

108, excuse me, that's not the same thing

I cut it pretty close and usually have to shotgun jump to catch a gem as its being pulled towards the spider.

That makes sense, i have to memorize more of the spawn timings

So they get auto used, or do you have to do something?

You fire them with RMB, you get a homing dagger for every gem you collect past Lv. 3 and I think you can fire a burst of up to fifteen at a time. It's crazy useful past the 180 mark, I highly recommend strategizing around it. You can clear Squid waves before they even spill their little skulls.

And you think it's worth it? I've watched a few of Sojk's record runs and I know he swears by farming but that sounds like a lot of trouble to get an edge on Lv. 2. I guess it would just be helpful to not kill ANY Squid prior to the 100 mark, in the long run.

Well I don't know about you but I can consistently get to ~180 while doing this so I figure I might as well get all the edge I can before the triple spiders.

game is about as interesting as a tower defense game. Don't know why the fans of this are so obsessed with it, I see it get brought up way too often, seems like shilling.

Its neat little game nothing more

These wave based games are a lazy form of dificulty

I usually farm one extra Squid after killing the first Spider, that way I can get some extra crystals without shit getting too out of hand (for my skills anyways). You gotta mop up in time before the second spider shows up, after which you can kill the first centipede without too much fuss. Then you'll be able to upgrade to LV3 within the next two Squids, so you are ready to take on the huge waves of Squids and Spiders. Always prioritize Spiders first with your shotgun blasts, your shotgun blasts are accurate over long distances, and take care of the Squids when the Spiders are gone. I tend to use some homing daggers when a dozen Squids spawn it at once so you can have some control. Though the Gigapedes are always fucking me over.

It's a perfect game in the sense that there's no real design flaws to speak of, though whether a game is perfect or not doesn't really matter as it only achieved this perfection by downsizing itself to the point of becoming niche and completely different compared to every other FPS people are used to playing. It's like saying Tetris is perfect in a world where people aren't actively itching to play arcade games. Nobody plays Tetris all the time either.

Basically it's really fucking good and all other FPS developers should learn from this, though it's the kind of games that requires some autistic dedication on your part to get the most out of it.

How so?

FINAL DESTINATION

Yea no I don't know how OP could think that you can make a thread out of this game. As solid as it is there's not much to discuss unless you're a dev and want to talk about its insides.

Is there any news on what Sorath is doing next? Devil Daggers was supposed to test different things and I want to see what they'll do.

It's not bad, but you can't sustain a thread on something so simple. If it were an arena/horde shooter thread with a focus on Devil Daggers, there wouldn't be a problem.