Rimworld bread

how do i defend myself against bombardment?
i've got the starship troopers mod and just survived my first attack - they sent small suicide bomber bugs on me, that went right through my roof
i don't live in a mountain environment so i can't dig myself in, is there any other way to stop them? was my roof just shit quality?

cleaning all those corpses looks like a pain in the ass

thin roofs doesn't protect against bombardment unless you want to weather through their bombard, your only choice is to sally out to take down the mortars

yea, problem is that the bug weapons were orbital

the whole point of the game is survival in hard conditions, why would i want to cheat

also, is there any mod for fortifications that works on a17?
walls don't help me unless i can shoot through them, and i don't have the steel for sandbags

wut

well i can't build them with wood

Medieval times

You can build moats (costs nothing but labor, fire can't spread over them) and 2 type of embrasurs fro many material

where do i find the moat option?
does it need any of the research?

There will be a medieval tab in your architect section, and if you do need to research anything, it will be the "Medieval Defense" technology.

There need to be buildable ceilings that are immune to being breached, and there need to be buildable floors that are immune to bug infestation hole appearing.
I'd also like walls that - while not invulnerable - are electrified so anybody trying to dig through them takes nerve damage with each blow.
Basically, this game needs more fortification potential. So you can build your masterpiece fortress and see how long it can last without enemies noclipping past your shit like shitcunts.

A proper siege or wave mode would be nice, then, with invasions of constant reinforcements that last 2-5 in-game years without letting up.

IIRC; no research needed, all hose are basic.

You have all waist-high embrasures and smaller ones, moats, wooden spikes and a bunch of other stuff like catapults, balistas, boiling oil, etc..

Plus great melee weapons to build

are we talking about the same mod here?
medieval times mod page doesn't mention moats

If you're not playing on the ice age map you are wasting your time

git fucking gud
Ideal firing positions (without overpowered mod garbage) are in a line behind a wall where every other tile is a held-open door, with a line of sandbags directly in front of the wall/door line on the side facing the incoming hostiles. Pawns are positioned behind the wall segments only. When they lean out around them to fire through the doors, they receive cover bonuses from the wall, the door and the sandbag, all. Roof all of it over and the shooters won't get accuracy debuffs in snow/fog/rain.
You can even design the killing field so that the only gaps are the entrance funnel, the line of walls/doors/sandbags and a held-open door off to one side of the walls/doors/sandbags. If an overwhelming melee threat is closing in, send all of your pawns into the door gaps, remove the hold-open setting and send them back out of the doors, closing them. Suddenly the only way into your base is through that side door, which can lead down a trapped corridor to another killing field perpendicular to the first. Eh, I'll do a little diagram.
Fuck, I spent too much time on this.

Even if I restrict the tiles that the traps are on and provide alternate routes, colonists will still step on them.

You probably can't beat this mod because the shooting even with combat realism is still so unrealistic. I don't see how anyone can miss a board with light machine gun mad dump even with poor accuracy. come on.

pardon me i thought this was the factorio thread

Are there any must have mods? Or any must try?

You mean with that design specifically, or in general? That design has been around for a while, and I've never had a pawn step on the traps (or heard of anyone having it happen) except in the rare occurrence that a pawn stands on a trap that is already being rearmed to rearm the trap next to it. But even then, I don't think I've actually ever had a pawn actually trigger it, since pawns and friendlies have a much lower chance of triggering friendly traps.
If that's what happened to you, try having only one pawn with 'rearm trap' as a higher priority (Fluffy's Work Tab mod) or manually micro your pawns when they rearm your traps so they don't make retard AI mistakes.

Dozens of QoL mods and small fixes that don't change vanilla balance and will really cut down on annoying oversights. This list is primarily those kind of mods, with a few good/relatively balanced (except maybe Megafauna + A Dog Said, bionic cenozoic predators are ridiculous) content-adding mods thrown in.

ED-Embrasures. Keep in mind that if you put them in a building, you won't retain heat/cold that well, since they're literally an opening in your wall. Plus, they're obviously not one-way, so having too many will make you vulnerable to accurate shooters. Best to use them on perimeter walls or build small, defensive rooms.

I always found that decision odd, as well. Luckily, it isn't too hard to get steel.

Rimjobworld

Why are you even wasting your time with a bloody early access game

have you played it?

Why would I even play an early access game

Why are you posting in a beta imageboard?

Unfortunately the person who had been working on it abandoned it with some major bugs left, and the new person who picked it up started shoving in personal opinions and politics.
The ability for women to use comfort prisoners or to rape at all was completely removed, with the claim that women biologically cannot have even the desire to commit sexual violence. Female pawns can also no longer spawn with the zoophilia trait, which I guess is because it's so unheard-of for girls to take the knot. It's especially retarded given that the last thing being worked on in the old version was interspecies pregnancy.
After everyone complained, it was eventually loosened so that women with the Rapist trait can use comfort prisoners, and only if the rapist has a "sexual vulnerability" below a certain threshold. Meanwhile, any male pawn can use comfort prisoners regardless of traits and condition, and are five times as likely as women to have the Rapist trait anyway. The new dev's stance was that if you want a fantasy as unrealistic as a female sexual predator, you should surgically add a penis to her.

I haven't tried it, but it wouldn't surprise me if a hardcoded age minimum had been quietly added too.

I really have seen it all

One thing I would add to that is an enclosure of sorts that allows 3 or 4 of your guys to stab one intruder without getting shot from a distance. Those sort of murder-rooms are quite useful when you are utterly out-armed in comparison to your opposition.

Counter battery fire.

The only happy pawns I've ever had were drugged out psychopathic cannibals, it also helps that the food delivers itself to you

Is this game fun if you logged 100+ hours into dwarf fortress? I played banished for like an hour and just wanted to go back to dwarf fortress.

If you want to play a dwarf fortress game then just play dwarf fortress. Banished is more like a medieval simcity

the full starship troopers experience

yeah, shit is pretty fucked up

Banished is seriously lacking in both difficulty and complexity once you solve your immediate deficiencies, though. Meanwhile even after mastering the meta, drop podding pirates/mechanoids can fuck over even OP turret/mortar spam in Rimworld, and it's a hell of a lot more complex, especially with some good mods (it's got a really prolific modding community). Obviously it can't match DF's strengths, but it's still pretty great and does have a lot to it that DF lacks by necessity.

Once you have fine meals, comfy chairs and beautiful/spacious bedrooms+public spaces, pawns with a lover and no mood debuff traits usually sit around max contentedness.

I remember not being able to get a steam key from buying the game at some point, is that still a thing or can I throw money at ty without losing out on the workshop?