3DS Homebrew Thread

The guide to modding a 3DS: 3ds.guide/
FreeShop (discontinued): freeshop.pw/
FreeShop fork: notabug.org/arc13/freeShop/releases
gbatemp.net/threads/release-arc13s-freeshop-fork-open-source-eshop-alternative.468436/
Titlekeys: 3ds.titlekeys.gq/

Homebrew Launcher: smealum.github.io/3ds/

Pastebin: pastebin.com/7JAD1x3U

Note: "Boot9Strapper and SigHax are optional. There is no benefit to using this form of hack until devs create custom firmware, which may take months."

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Options-and-usage
amazon.com/dp/B00S1LRX3W/ref=asc_df_B00S1LRX3W5237137?smid=A5W45QDYAHWB2&tag=shopz0d-20&ascsubtag=shopzilla_mp_1561-20;15093214267390232716610080301008005&linkCode=df0&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B00S1LRX3W&th=1
3ds.guide/.
3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s
vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_3DS
reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/3zqon4/tutorial_having_trouble_with_other_region_cia/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How's citra? 3DS jaggies trigger me.

Shitty

horrible barely gets 15 fps most of the time

This Terranigma VC inject I got for 3DS has some graphical issues for the menus. Is it possible that VC doesn't work well with it? The EU release, I mean. Or maybe it was a sloppy injection.

I haven't updated my 3DS in almost a year and I'm still using menuhax. How do I update to the new standard?

I just went through the guide. Everything should be finalized.

What do I do now though? How do I install pirate games, and where do I get them? Like Fire Emblem IF?

Also, any good uncensor/fan translations out for other games?

So 11.6 is out. I'm on 11/4 is it safe to update if on CFW?

Everything you need is in the pastebin

OI so I've followed the instructions up until

o3DSxl 11.2, am I ready to procede or am I missing something. My folder doesn't look like 2nd pic, am I missing something.

Ultimate 3DS Injector when Holla Forums.

OK a few changed I figured out.

My old 3DS is starting to fall apart. If I get a new one, is there any way to transfer the hacks? No point in buying one if it's unhackable.

These guides are very confusing.

I am not 100% knowlegable in this subject but Im pretty sure there is. Every type of 3ds is hackable by now. I know that you can transfer certain files such as saves/other stuff, If I were you I would choose what to transfer from my files carefully, such as the vidya/saves first, then just redo everything.

Its better to be safe than sorry.

no one wants to see you fucking your cat, fag. literally no one cares about you because you're a furfag. not even your parents. congrats, user, you made your parents hate you.

I scanned this qr code through fbi and it installed. But I can't see any of it in the game. Does anyone know what might be the cause? It's an EUR system and the game is USA, so it won't let me access the eshop in the game because I don't have the USA EULA accepted. That hasn't stopped me from installing DLC in the past though.

If you wanted more cats you could have just asked user.

Does someone have the most recent chart? I have one from last year.

This is how I know you're 8.

I missed out on the release date for MH Stories. How do I read the rock-paper-scissors format again? Used to be good at it in Magic Pengel.

Back up the contents of your sd card, do a system transfer, hack the new 3ds, put everything back on the sd card

I managed to do this when my bottom screen decided to turn red and mirror itself. Go through the process of brewing your new 3ds and a system transfer should move everything, it even moved my custom themes. System transfer only works half the time even without them being homebrewed and I had to feel my way through the menus and type my password without a bottom screen. Do it sooner rather than after your thing breaks down completely.

Now where the fuck is fire emblem warriors on the freeshop?

Does anyone know if FE warriors will have something like Hyrule warriors, where I get to dress up fairies?

3ds.guide is confusing at first but its really step by step, its retard proof and I'm not knowledgable on this stuff.

You COULD use FBI to scan QR codes to install games but do a bit of research to use freeshop, its so much better.

Yeah actually homebrewing the system was easy, I was just dumb and didn't figure out how to actually pirate or emulate gba games. mGBA ran like ass, which is a shame since I wanna play Mother 3 and Pkmn Light Platinum on it.
Basically what I've been doing, I haven't set up Freeshop yet. Or figured out how to use fan translations.

pls post links to EO5 and FEW, 3dsiso locked it all behind linkshrink

Why would you say freeshop is so much better?

You don't have to bother finding a pirate copy.

Say, if I wanted to buy a N3ds is there a model I should get?

the 3ds titlekeys site has both of the games, although they're labelled as DLC for some reason, though.

your best bet is trying to get either the original red, original black, or the Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer bundles since they should be low enough firmware to be hacked. If they aren't there's been a tool that certain flashcards can use to hack any 3DS called ntrboot flasher.

The 8c denotes that it's actual DLC not the game. You gave me some hope at least.

Is there any way to make SwapDoodle use any image?

(checked)
Nikki's not a slut.

I still dont know how to get GBA games running well, I guess emulation still isnt up to snuff or something.

Theres a massive list of games to download, you dont need to individually search for every QR code. But its up to preference.

nigga just make a cia. the 3ds has the hardware to play gba games natively. so almost all of the library should work out of the box(I guess the exceptions would be cartridges with special hardware)

Obviously, that's not a good thing, but it's immensely better than being a slut.

Shit waifu, waste of gigantic tits.

checked

Thank you, I'll make a compilation of ROMhacks for GBA and post it here if I can.

Given why they dropped swap note, I really doubt it.

So someone I know just got themselves a 3DS that's not hacked (yet)

I have a hacked 3DS

Is there a way for him to get his 3DS hacked through mine?

You read the OP. First link.

So he's fucked if he's on the latest fw. I have to hope he didn't fuck himself

Has the ps1 emulator gotten any better lately? I just want to play symphony of the night on my 3ds surely 2d games are finally playable?

No and also just because somthing is 2d doesn't mean it be easier to become playable. Also symphony of the night is too much for arm 11 to run do to it 2d on 3d engine setup.

Guide has R9L to B9S but not Menuhax to B9S.

anons can you help me out?
got encrypted 3ds files.
how do i decrypt them so that they'll work on citra?

You need to use a 3DS to do that I think.

Did Deep Strange Journey leak yet? Do we know how badly the fucked it?

Does anyone have an updated wings.json? For some reason i'm not able to download it.

Could anyone upload Monster Hunter stories to MEGA or google drive? I'd really appreciate it.

the dlc is jut portraits, when selectng one keep going to the right past the third set

Man, the SD card slot in the N3DS is retarded.

So I did a system transfer to my new 3DS, but now none of my pirated games show up. I would just re-download them from Freeshop, but it think they are still installed so it won't let me. And I can't delete them without deleting the save data too.

How do I get the games back and keep my save data?

Can I just, like, make .cia with GBC roms too?

Yes.

Nice, thanks.

Just get ads bypasser for greasemonkey, this thing is a godsend, though if you have umatrix you'll have to enable enough to get the site to load in the first place, but it will immediately skip all ad extenders.
Where are you getting this errror?
It could be false positives as some antivirus will flip out if they detect warez websites or downloads.
Anyways, most anons will tell you to just use freeshop.

It's possible. AFAIK Nintendo's VC relies on hacks (to the emulator I mean, like znes, the rom is unchanged afaik, their SMB rom didn't even remove the headers that proved they downloaded their own game before injecting it into VC) to get games right, rather than going for 100% accuracy at it's core, so if it's not a game you could also get from the eshop, the emulator may have issues. One advantage of such emulators is they can run on less powerful machines and are simpler to write. Nintendo VC is not generally known for being that accurate even with the hacks though, pic related.
W-wasn't there ONLY an EU release of Terranigma?
I don't know if that's likely, but you should definitely try another one or make your own, just in case.

Oh I figured it out, I just started scanning and injecting my own roms. I have Adblock Longitude but it doesn't deal with ad extender pages that require you to disable it. Does this change that?
I'd wait for the extender to finish and click download but then it'd give me an error.

My biggest problem right now is getting some Romhacks to run. Pokemon Light Platinum won't work whatsoever but Prism does.

Was furiously googling this until I realized you meant "Latitude" lol.
Just to be clear, if by "ad extender" you mean URL shorteners like don't use link shorteners where it asks "please wait 12 seconds and then press continue", then yes, adsbypasser will automatically redirects you to your destination, it totally skips over the ad extender.
So you are getting the error on the actual download site? I'm not sure I've ever gotten this error, sorry.

On 3DS?
All I can think is don't forget to double check the hashes.
Also be sure to try emulating it on PC to see if it's a 3DS problem or just the rom itself.

What's a good way to get .cias if I don't have access to freeshop? All the ones on 3DSISO are edited and I'd rather get the normal ones rather than ones some faggot tooled around in.

Terranigma was the foreignese name for Tenchi Souzou, so of course it had a Japanese release as well.

Godmode9 can convert a .3ds into .cia. Some other startup modules probably can, as well, and there's always the PC method if you dump some firmware files.

So rather than snag the .cias from those sites, I just grab the base .3ds and convert it myself?

Well the game supposedly came out today but its not on freeshop or the titlekey website.

Nevermind that though. You should just wait for the eng version to come out and buy it. We all know SJ is already a great game and the redux makes it even better!

Can't you delete them in system settings and keep save data? Assuming the games show up

Yep.

funkeypy still works fine i believe, for most of my games i've just downloaded them using that and loaded them onto the sd card after.

wew lad

Fantastic, that'll definitely come in handy thanks. I hate those damn things.
I'm sorry, the what again?
Runs fine on mGBA and VBA. Mother 3 translated runs fine on my 3DS, but Pkmn Light Platinum wont even run on my phone. Everything off my PC doesn't run the Rom.

Never support localizations

I am angry, angry about Yo Kai watch.

I can't name my character "Slut". Am I going to have to get clever, or is there some magic that can fix this with CFW?

Gonna try "CunnyGirl"

Wow! Less than 30 seconds in and it's already pushing the strong independent women that don't need no man meme. Is this game even worth playing? I went with "Cunny"

also anyone got a link to fire emblem warriors?, i want to try that shitshow with my own hands.

Again, localizations are always cancer.

I can't get any 3rd Generation Pokemon game to run on my 3DS. I get a white screen every time. Let alone hacks. I'm using Ultimate GBA VC Injector but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I followed "the guide to modding a 3ds" in the op but realized I had a bigger SD card. Can I copy and paste the data in the card I used to mod my 3ds to the bigger card without any problems?

Greetings.
I have A9LH with Freeshop and all that shit. I also have a custom theme for shits and giggles.
Do I NEED to update to B9S? Isn't that unsafe and brick-prone?

No, you are fine.

Alex is your daughter from the future and you let the world end after you kill her.

Totally stoked, niggas. Finally getting back over to my friend's house went I left my SD card. Finally going to be able to get my New 3DS set up. But here's the thing. I need to know how to get my game files onto a different card. I have a small SD card that's properly hacked, a big SD card that's got outdated hacks, and all the game data is on the outdated hacks card. So I need to basically change it so the big card has the new hacks. What's the easiest way to make it happen? What do I move where?

I cant negotiate with the demons because I cant read japanese. I cant read any of the menus, ar anything because its all in japanese. I'm just waiting for an eng patch right now.

You can either use JKSM or move the files manually, which are in the Nintendo 3ds folder in your sd card.

Unsure if it's bait or if there are people this dense.

I bought a N3DS on 1.2. I then proceeded to install CFW on it, freeshop, etc. I followed the whole guide.

And then I left it in the dust for a long time. Is it safe to run the system update to whatever version it's on now?

So it goes 3DS>titles>numbers

Got three different numbered folders. Which is which?

You're going to have to learn to read at some point, no time like the present to start.

had a corrupt ad card and was trying to get back a9lh but failed. updated to b9s and everything worked like it did before

Go back to 4chan you stinky nigger

>>>/NeoGAF/

Please don't shit on me too hard. Consoles never caught my attention much(last one I had was a SNES I played from 2000 until 2007 before I got my computer) but Ive been seeing stuff on the 3ds for quite some time now.
Is this some kind of timeless Nintendo portable? Is it still a great buy?
Can someone give me a tldr on Nintendo portable tech and games?

FUCK!! I may have bricked!! Because this goddamn computer I'm working off of changed my shit when I tried moving files! It isn't being recognized!

you can play all the previous nintendo handhelds on the 3ds and emulate snes/nes games. it's not a waste of money as long as you install cfw on it

God FUCKING DAMN IT, why is no one smart ever on to help?

Current status: I was able to start the system again, but it went back to default. All my good shit, gone. Do I have to CFW this fucking bastard all over again? HOW. THE. FUCK. do I salvage my GOD DAMN GAME DATA?!

I've tried this shit over and over, and it doesn't fucking work if you just try merging the Nintendo 3DS folder or whatever the fuck.

WHAT THE GODDAMN FUCKING SHIT DO I DO WITH THIS CRAP!!!

When you move goddamn files, it isn't supposed to change their date created and all that shit. Almost positive that's what FUCKED ME. So, smart guy, got a fuckin' solution? Make yourself useful.

You're stupid and probably younger than 15. Keep at it, you'll get better eventually.

I think everyone's been talking out their ass. Either I have to do something specific that nobody really knows how to do, or Nintendo is just so fucking gay that I can't drag my game data to a different 3DS. With a different ID, mind you.

Incredibly tactful use of your words. I am now dying just to help you.

How is it possible you know so little about consoles? Did you fall into a coma?
Anyways, it's a decent little system that can play:
-DS games
-3DS games
-NES and Gameboy/Color games via virtual console
Also, the New Nintendo 3DS can also play SNES games via virtual console, but it's more expensive.

Normally I'd say to install custom firmware since you can then pirate videogames.
But depending on how much you've caught up with technology since you've awaken from your coma it may be tricky to install so I'm not sure I can recommend.
Plus you can always emulate the NES/gameboy/SNES games, so it depends how much 3DS/DS games interest you, or how much you want portable videogames.

I got a N3DS that came with firmware 11.3 and Soundhax is super easy to install as long as you can follow instructions.

Have you ever used a computer? The "date created" information changing is normal. It affects nothing.
It's been three posts, and you still haven't explained what you're even trying to do.
If it's installing CFW, that's piss easy so you probably just overlooked something obvious.
But good luck getting any help when you act like a little bitch and don't provide any information at all.

Okay, I need to move GAMES AND THEIR SAVES onto a DIFFERENT 3DS.But because nobody gave me a solid answer before, now everything is pretty fucked and it's a lot more complicated. Both of my 3DS units have been basically unhacked.

You may have not have formatted your sd card properly, try to do it with a different program. And when it comes to backing up games with your limited knowlege of the subject, I HIGHLY suggest you install and use JKSM on your 3ds.

user, just follow the instructions to a T, or are you using a mac or some gay shit? Look up some youtube tutorials if you have to, making a fool of yourself like some kind of lolcow isnt going to help you at all.

Impossible unless you're a fucking retard and didn't hack them properly in the first place.

Bullshit. How the fuck do you even manage to do that? Try doing the combination for godmode or decrypt9 or whatever. You probably just have to repeat some of the previous steps in the cfw process you've done before to get all of the proper app stuff back up and running.

All right, so assuming that the systems are still on CFW, how to unfuck the New 3DS and merge the Old 3DS's games into it? I did back up my shit.

About time I updated the hacks on my 3DS, and my mum's as well. They're both still on ARM9LoaderHax.

You aren't getting that on 3DS. Get a PSP or PSVita and hack it. The 3DS's strengths are in GBA and DS games, and the VC stuff.

Clothed paizuri is pretty patrician taste to be honest. Also does 8/v/ still do Swapdoodle?

With the more expensive one you meant a 3ds xl?
Also, are there any games still being released for it?
The only game I have in mind that I want to play is rune factory 4.
The reason I don't know much about it is because I never looked into it since I wouldn't be able to buy it. I'm a third worlder but I know plenty about computers. Right now I'm replying you through dashchan with my rooted phone that has lineage os instead of android, all done by myself. Other than that, I know some stuff about computers too.

Two more questions.
What do I lose once I install custom firmware?
Is the New 3ds xl worth it?

Sighaxing successful. I updated freeShop to the new one while I'm at it. Has there been much progress on TWLoader or anything else I should be interested from the last 6 months?

Baseline for what you should be getting.
Larger than the N3DS. I think they're a bit big even for my man hands. It's also upscaled.
N3DS without the 3D. Will start on a bad firmware version for hacking though.
Skip them.

Nothing, and you gain immeasurable power over your system.

I've been out of the loop for a while. The system has plenty of good games, and solid backwards compatibility.

So my 3DS's battery is starting to go on the fritz. While I just ordered a replacement, it's made me think about if I'll need to replace the whole machine in the future due to a button going out or something. Can I simply do a system transfer from an A9LH system to a clean OFW system, or what? The guide only talks about B9S shit now.

Doesn't the Luma3DS region stuff work anymore? I can't start Rhythm Heaven Megamix anymore. The required setting is turned on in Luma's config.

Why wouldn't you be hacking a replacement system? You should already have a flash card, so you can use ntrboot if necessary.

Guide only goes over B9S now, would need to dig up instructions on A9LH, and that if the machine is at a lower firmware.

I don't.

So I don't lose multiplayer in games that I actually buy?
C-Can I play local multiplayer in games that I did pirate?
This is looking interesting.

Only multiplayer I play is Monster Hunter, and that works fine.

You can play online even in pirated titles. He's not exaggerating when he says you gain "immeasurable power over your system", you gain root access so many layers deep that you can install a backdoor that runs before system firmware, meaning Nintendo can never release a fuck-you update that you can't unfuck. It also means you're basically immune to software-based bricks once the system is completely jailbroken, since you gain the power to create and load from system backups.

Shit, if that's all custom firmware did, I still would've done it. But no, add the ability to use:
-Custom themes
-Homebrew apps
-Emulators for older systems
-A piracy app that downloads the games from ninty's own servers and is nigh-undetectable
-Games from other regions

This is not the era of the bootstrapped brick-frequent hacks that could, at most, disable region lock and valid software checks. CFW gives you complete power over your 3DS now.

Damn, that looks pretty good.
I'm going to buy one next month.
Do I need more than the base internal storage considering I plan on pirating the shit out of everything I play?
Is there any charts about what I must do and must play games?

While not technically required, no reason not to expand the memory with a bigger SD card.

Must plays include the SRW games, Monster Hunter 3G and 4G, the Sekaiju no Meikyuu games, and Dragon Quest 11.

Can I play DS games on my hacked 3ds? All i get from google is vague and outdated shit due to the sudden release of the boot9strap…

Just making sure, I will be able to play Mario Kart online with the matchmaking system if I pirate it?

Should work just fine.

2 things, never ever play a leaked game early, and disable spotpass/software tracking as soon as possible and frequently check it to make sure it's still disabled.

Sorry for basically taking over the thread for spoonfeeding but I'm seeing stuff about people getting banned left and right for it, are you guys sure it's safe?
I don't care if I have to pay for one or two multi-player game but paying for every single game is pretty unsustainable for me?
I'm planning on buying a "galaxy New 3ds xl"

Even if you do get banned the only thing they can stop you from doing is online multiplayer, the games themselves will still work fine and you'll still be able to run both legit copies and pirated stuff.

What you could do is get a *DS with the right firmware, hack it, and just play singleplayer games on it, saving the 3DS you have now for multiplayer games. That involves buying another *DS so it might not be preferable.
Nintendo sent out banwaves over people playing games early(Pokemon SM was leaked before release and also broke street date) and "running unauthorized software" which may have been tied to software tracking like spotpass, someone else here may be more knowledgeable on the specifics.
Even if Nintendo bans your 3DS you can still download games with Freeshop, so it becomes the ultimate singleplayer machine in that case. You could probably buy a banned 3DS cheaply and do what I said above.

Is there a way to get DS games on my 3DS like freeshop?

Cant I buy a sky3ds to play offline pirated games and buy games to play online multi-player on the same new 3ds xl without fearing to get banned?

I don't know anything about the safety of flashcards, sorry.

I want to know this too since I haven't booted up swapdoodle in a long time.

You forgot to add that you get all of that only and only if your firmware is not too new, because otherwise you will need to jump through a lot of hoops to make CFW work.

They changed the way you do it for some reason.
github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Options-and-usage

That one might come with newer firmware that makes hacking a hassle. I got a regular black N3DS XL and it came with the perfect firmware for easy hacking.

Either that guy is a Nip who dosent understand that the world outside of japanse does not read or speak japanese and still hes on an english imageboard recommending games entirely in japanese, or he is some kind of mega weeb who is overly skeptical of localizations.

I'm thinking the former??

Can you play ds games off the SD card yet?

Yeah, you should be able to run most of the pre-2010 titles in the latest version. You also can play M&L Partners in Time and Bowser Inside Story too! So that's pretty nice.

Is there really no guide for converting menuhax to modern hax?

This one?
amazon.com/dp/B00S1LRX3W/ref=asc_df_B00S1LRX3W5237137?smid=A5W45QDYAHWB2&tag=shopz0d-20&ascsubtag=shopzilla_mp_1561-20;15093214267390232716610080301008005&linkCode=df0&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B00S1LRX3W&th=1

Yeah that's the one I got. Dunno if they are all the same firmware though. If it's above 11.3 you might as well return it.

Isn't that just tinfoil hat shit? I need Spotpass. My favorite game is StreetPass Mii Plaza.

Anyway, guys, it's me again, the very angry user who's been trying to get his shit set up for months now.

I wasted my entire day just like on Friday because of horrible weather, horribly early darkness, and horrible cold. Fuck October. Fuck Halloween. Fuck all of "The Holidays."

Anyway, I tested, and all right, looks like I still have MUH HAX, but now I need to put all my shit back in place, and some data may have been corrupted because my friend's computer is fucking gay Windows 10 bullshit.

How do I assemble the various bits and pieces into an SD card that works?

I'm so fucking confused. Nintendo doesn't make this easy. There's hundreds of fucking files to sift through, and it's just fucking confusing and I can't find any guides on making sense of that shit at all, and I don't know how to proceed, and I JUST WANT MY SHIT BACK DAMMIT.

user you cant be this retarded.
JUST FOLLOW THE GUIDE, 3ds.guide/.
Download freeshop, then your golden. Thats it.
Holy shit stop making it so hard for yourself.

Oh that.

FOR THE 5TH TIME USE JKSM.
Google it if you have to
Download it through fbi, back up your games on there, download jksm on the newer hacked 3ds, then transfer your files manually.
Its not hard at all. By now I think you're actually unironically retarded.

Im not going to spoonfeed you anymore, by now you're on your own. You're going to give me brain cancer by just talking to you.

Flashcards run all the same risks with none of the benefits.

I think you're thinking of streetpass, not spotpass. Unless you really want the special event miis.

But what the hell are you trying to do? Are you still installing CFW? Are you transferring data from one 3ds to another? I still have zero clue what you've done, and what it is you're trying to do.
Do you completely lack theory of mind?

Retards like you make me feel smart because I was able to get Freeshop installed right the first time.

I can't even imagine being this retarded.

Retard here; Is there any reason I shouldn't install B9S if all I want is for my shit to justwerk? I haven't updated Luma or my system itself in like a year and I went to update it just now only to find out it now apparently requires the latest version of B9S. I just want to be able to play games online again.

Luma 7.0.5 should do the trick and work on A9LH

They've switched from a9lh to b9s because it loads even earlier and thus is safer. Aside from that, I don't know of any pros/cons other than you should generally always be up to date just in case.
There's a page specifically for updating from al9h to b9s:
3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

Do they still have the guide on doing A9LH anywhere?

Well, the first link in the OP is a guide for going from an unhacked system straight to b9s. I don't see why you'd want to avoid b9s if that's what you're asking.

That method isn't likely to be viable anymore. I fucked my Old 3DS by connecting to the eShop on an outdated CFW. This wiped out all my downloaded games. The data is probably still there, but I don't think I can do anything at all without manually moving shit around.

SpotPass makes it far easier to gather up lots of Miis.

I have CFW installed, but I have to sort of start over because I fucked something up and got the Home Screen restarted to its default state. What I've been trying to do the entire time is move a fuckin' Smash Bros. game and game save from one 3DS SD card to another. It's been fucking hell.

I had FreeShop, and I can get it back pretty easily I'm sure.

What's hard is finding out where to pull out my goddamn Smash save from and where the fuck to put it on the other card.

Everything is hidden in numbers and codes, and it's FUCKING BULLSHIT.

I currently have an A9LH system, and I'm considering what I'd need to do if I wanted to transfer to a new system - I recently had to replace the battery, which was easy enough, but if something more irreparable happens, I figure it'd be a good idea to know how to move to a new machine, and from the sound of it I would need another machine on A9LH.

Compared to the old Nintendo 3DS, the New Nintendo 3DS has two extra shoulder buttons and a right analog stick (sort of), is generally faster, can play SNES games and some exclusive 3DS games. Differences between N3DS and N3DXL is that the screen size is bigger (XL = Extra Large). Be aware that you may have to buy the AC adapter separately for the new nintendo 3ds.

Definitely, you'll want more storage, since some games can be as large as 4GB in size. I have a 32GB microsd card, I've downloaded a shit ton of games and not deleted any and I've still a few GB to spare, but it's probably a bit much since most of the games on there I don't play anymore so I could delete them and keep the save files.
You should know about the wiki:
vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_3DS

I strongly recommend installing JKSM and see what it detects.

So you've completely finished installing CFW and THEN much later it "restarted to it's default state"? What did you do right before this happened? You moved Smash Bros. from one 3DS to another and now games are gone on both of them?
Are you dragging files from one sd card to another? First result of a google search is the official Nintendo page telling you not to do this because it won't detect the games or saves. You should manually install smash from a .cia on the second 3DS. Afterwards you can export the save file from the first 3DS via JKSM, and import it on the second 3DS via JKSM.

Ah, so JKSM is necessary, and a lot of people in this thread didn't know shit about what they were talking about.

All right, what is the fastest way to get back my CFW programs?

I can't find anything that says you CAN'T do a system transfer from an a9lh system to a b9s system, but it'd probably be less of a headache to update to b9s just in case. If you ever do a system transfer your pirated games will transfer their data, but not their tickets, so you'll have to manually dump, copy, and re-install the tickets on the new system. Manually installing the .cias again will also work but will take a lot longer.

I'm rather hesitant on moving to B9 until they work out all the kinks in it.

B9S works fine, I literally just updated 2 3DSes from A9LH to it. Just do it.

This is 100% because you're so vague that nobody knows what's happening.
Listen- I truly would like to help you. But if you answer literally none of my questions I simply cannot do anything for you. I cannot read your mind!

It seems that the people that got banned was because they played a game before it was officially released. I know a guy that has set an unauthorized program as his "favorite game" on his profile and hasn't been banned yet lol. You can of course buy a flashcart like a sky3ds instead of installing custom firmware and play pirated games offline and buy games that you will play online if you are really paranoid, but nobody has yet been banned for simply having custom firmware as far as I know.

Thanks, user.

Are N3DS's ever prone to dying after a while, or buttons stuffing up etc? Mine is already over 2 years old and I'm thinking of getting a backup while I can still find a lower firmware one easily enough. Still works well enough for now though.

It shouldn't as long as you take care of it.

Hi there!
Haven't played on my 3DS in over a month.
Tried turning it on just now, and it just doesn't load the OS, SD card inserted.
Without the SD card the light just flickers for a sec, and then the console turns off.

Godmode menu shows up though, files all seem to be there on the SD card.
Wat do?

Update to Luma 7.0.5

"banned" btw is like said. You only get banned if you are a retard (though spotpass may be one way they detect), because they can only differentiate you from a legitimate paying customer if you do something stupid or obviously not legit, like playing unreleased games online, or downloading 50 million titles in one day.

"B-but user, what about downloading out of region games?" Lots of people have out-of-region 3DSes in the US and other places for this exact reason, and lots of people share IP addresses. Short of making yourself a huge obvious outlier, Nintendo will not do shit to you.

But still, is it safe to play multiplayer games with a public header?

I'm gonna say don't risk it. But then I never cared much for online stuff in the first place. 3DS has plenty of good stuff for the forever alone types.

that doesn't seem to do anything.
WAT DO? :(

Just fucking use freeshop to download them or use a CIA, because CIAS HAVE NO HEADER.

I went looking for a way to accept out of region EULAs since they interfere with some online play and I believe some DLC. Can someone confirm if this still works?

reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/3zqon4/tutorial_having_trouble_with_other_region_cia/

I do find it difficult to properly articulate the problem because it's so damned complicated. I just don't even know where to start. I have two 3DSes, one has old hax, one has new, but both have had their home menus restarted to the default out of the box state.

Games like xcom on 3ds besides Ghost Recon?

What is the proper procedure for "taking care of it"?

And, there was that Battleship game.

Haven't used my 3ds in months (a year?), and I went into luma and updated the system version like an idiot. Now luma won't boot, though the homebrewmenu still works fine, and I can boot into the sysnand with the sd card out. Any suggestions? Should I just clear everything and rehack it using the newer stuff?

I got stuck on one mission that brings that Hawaii dude iirc or someone that had remote control bombs as a mission.

Also, is there anything wrong with just formatting my sd card? I'm willing to reinstall everything, and my sysnand boots and works fine

Your hacks are so out-of-date it's pathetic m8. Get some B9S or A9LH, backup your "sysnand", and just replace your sysnand with a not-fucked "emunand" (CFW).

There is no reason whatsoever to use an emunand/sysnand split now, because you can just use CFW as your main (and far more stable this way) firmware, due to your ability to load hacks so early in the boot that firmware hasn't run yet. This lets you backup your firmware, among other crazy features, so you never have to worry about a brick.

Just remember NEVER UPDATE WHAT IS CURRENTLY YOUR "SYSNAND" UNTIL YOU HAVE SOMETHING LIKE B9S/A9LH IN PLACE. FOLLOW ONE OF THE GUIDES LINKED IN THE OP. DON'T BE A RETARD.

Oh shit, this is way easier than it used to be. Already got it B9S setup.

As some saw it on the volafile, I'm requesting for either a Pokemon Nova Sun or Umbra Moon .cia, updated as much as possible.

Both 3DSiso and 3DSchaos lack usable links, the maker can't push a version that doesn't require a non-forced-Bull9Shit Luma, and I can't make the .cia myself.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't updated my shit, but I am still on a emunand. How do I update to B9S?

I think if you're on menuhax still you just need to boot sysnand and follow the guide as normal, and when told to copy over your emunand do so, but I could be wrong and there could be more to it. I'm going to try it sometime this week on my O3DS and my dad's 2DS when I go to do my A9LH N3DS. I'll probably post what I did once I'm done with one of them, for when more people show up asking about it.

Follow the guide linked in the OP. It specifically has jump-in points for older hacks.