Daily News Thread 2/10

State-sponsored hackers targeting prominent journalists, Google warns

Google has warned a number of prominent journalists that state-sponsored hackers are attempting to steal their passwords and break into their inboxes, the journalists tell POLITICO.
politico.com/story/2017/02/google-hackers-russia-journalists-234859

Russia calls Romania 'a clear threat' and NATO outpost: Ifax

Russia views Romania as a NATO outpost and as a threat due to it hosting elements of a U.S. anti-missile shield, the Interfax news agency reported on Thursday, citing a Russian foreign ministry official.
reuters.com/article/us-russia-romania-nato-idUSKBN15O0W0

Elon Musk Responds to Claims of Low Pay, Injuries, and Anti-Union Policies at Tesla Plant

Elon Musk defended his company against reports that factory workers were “talking about unionizing,” saying that the man claiming to be an overworked employee is likely being paid by the UAW.
gizmodo.com/elon-musk-responds-to-claims-of-low-pay-injuries-and-a-1792190512

Trump reaffirms 'one China' policy in call with Xi Jinping

President Donald Trump reaffirmed Washington's long-standing "one China" policy in a call with Beijing's leader, a move that could ease anger in China over his earlier suggestions that he might use Taiwan as leverage in negotiations over trade, security and other sensitive issues.
bigstory.ap.org/article/515798dbf6c545beb7f19711e092c1e0/trump-reaffirms-one-china-policy-call-chinas-xi

IRS Can Revoke Americans’ Passports for Unpaid Taxes

The U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is preparing to implement its authority to certify to the U.S. State Department an American citizen’s “seriously delinquent tax debt.” The State Department may then refuse to issue, or even can revoke, the person’s passport.
247wallst.com/banking-finance/2017/02/09/irs-can-revoke-americans-passports-for-unpaid-taxes/

U.S. General Seeks ‘a Few Thousand’ More Troops in Afghanistan

The commander of the American-led international military force in Afghanistan, warning that the United States and its NATO allies are facing a “stalemate,” told Congress on Thursday that he needed a few thousand additional troops to more effectively train and advise Afghan soldiers.
nytimes.com/2017/02/09/us/politics/us-afghanistan-troops.html?_r=0

U.S. Visitors May Have to Hand Over Social Media Passwords: DHS

People who want to visit the United States could be asked to hand over their social-media passwords to officials as part of enhanced security checks, the country's top domestic security chief said.
nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amp/us-visitors-may-have-hand-over-social-media-passwords-kelly-n718216

Merkel reaches deal with German states on faster migrant deportations

German Chancellor Angela Merkel met with the premiers of Germany's 16 states in Berlin on Thursday and agreed to a plan that will speed up the deportation process for migrants denied asylum.
dw.com/en/merkel-reaches-deal-with-german-states-on-faster-migrant-deportations/a-37470199

Le Pen: French Jews Will Have to Give Up Israeli Citizenship

Leading contender in French election tells interviewer she won't allow dual citizenships with non-European countries. Asked specifically about Jews and Israel, she said: 'Israel isn't an EU member.'
haaretz.com/world-news/europe/1.770915

Other urls found in this thread:

baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-airport-inhumanity-20170206-story.html
theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/02/real-life-consequences-hiring-freeze/516150/
scroll.in/article/828831/the-new-demonetisation-gambit-has-backfired-for-the-bjp-and-the-old-communal-ploy-hasnt-worked
nytimes.com/2017/02/09/business/europe-jobs-economy-youth-unemployment-millenials.html
msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-next-american-farm-bust-is-upon-us/ar-AAmJPpt
counterpunch.org/2017/02/10/tpp-is-not-dead-its-now-called-the-trade-in-services-agreement/
jacobinmag.com/2017/02/new-york-housing-gentrification-affordability-de-blasio/
jacobinmag.com/2017/02/ted-cruz-bernie-sanders-cnn-inequality-scandinavia/
versobooks.com/blogs/2448-stuart-hall-gramsci-and-us
politico.com/story/2017/02/democrat-retreat-tensions-234866
edition.cnn.com/2017/02/10/politics/republican-town-halls-obamacare/index.html
nbcnews.com/news/us-news/russia-eyes-sending-snowden-u-s-gift-trump-official-n718921?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma
2hu-ch.org/t/b4eacc936189ae8b37556b1928e4d86c14cef7c3/#d8ce52d8dbc484e6223f3e790366bddb931b1495
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahrar_Al-Sham
southfront.org
middleeasteye.net/news/syrian-rebels-flock-ahrar-al-sham-amid-fighting-al-qaeda-linked-group-863457440
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OP/EDs

Ordinary Americans carried out inhumane acts for Trump

Federal workers were willing to commit inhumane acts for President Trump at U.S. airports. Would you?
baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-airport-inhumanity-20170206-story.html

The Real-Life Consequences of the Federal Hiring Freeze

Donald Trump’s late January order to halt government hiring has produced stress, anxiety, and confusion for current employees and those wishing to join them.
theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/02/real-life-consequences-hiring-freeze/516150/

The demonetisation gambit has backfired for the BJP

The party's tentative election campaign has failed to rally more groups and communities under its banner in western Uttar Pradesh.
scroll.in/article/828831/the-new-demonetisation-gambit-has-backfired-for-the-bjp-and-the-old-communal-ploy-hasnt-worked

Feeling ‘Pressure All the Time’ on Europe’s Treadmill of Temporary Work

After graduating with degrees in accounting and finance from a university in Finland, Ville Markus Kieloniemi thought he would at least find an entry-level job in his field. He wound up churning through eight temporary jobs over the next three years.
nytimes.com/2017/02/09/business/europe-jobs-economy-youth-unemployment-millenials.html

The Next American Farm Bust Is Upon Us

The Farm Belt is hurtling toward a milestone: Soon there will be fewer than two million farms in America for the first time since pioneers moved westward after the Louisiana Purchase.
msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-next-american-farm-bust-is-upon-us/ar-AAmJPpt

TPP is not dead: It’s now called the Trade In Services Agreement

The Trade In Services Agreement (TISA), currently being negotiated among 50 countries, if passed would prohibit regulations on the financial industry, eliminate laws to safeguard online or digital privacy, render illegal any “buy local” rules at any level of government, effectively dismantle any public advantages to be derived from state-owned enterprises and eliminate net neutrality.
counterpunch.org/2017/02/10/tpp-is-not-dead-its-now-called-the-trade-in-services-agreement/

The Housing Crisis Is Not Inevitable

New York City can’t tackle its housing crisis without taking on real estate speculation.
jacobinmag.com/2017/02/new-york-housing-gentrification-affordability-de-blasio/

What Social Democracy Delivers

Ted Cruz is wrong. Workers in more social-democratic countries are richer and freer than in the US.
jacobinmag.com/2017/02/ted-cruz-bernie-sanders-cnn-inequality-scandinavia/

Stuart Hall: Gramsci and Us

On this day in 1891 one of the most influential Marxists of the 21st Century, Antonio Gramsci, was born in the small town of Ales in Sardinia. Gramsci's work transformed how we think about a Marxist politics.
versobooks.com/blogs/2448-stuart-hall-gramsci-and-us

Thanks for the good post as allways.

I've received this message once, like two years ago. I still have no idea what to make of it, since I'm not a journalist or anything along those lines.

This is an upcoming disaster that nobody is paying any attention to.

how do we convince OP to stop using anime girls for these threads?

new original creepypasta?

Farms? Who needs 'em?

Gee google, I wonder how much info you give to the agencies hiring them they're using in these efforts.

Democratic division simmers at feel-good retreat

House progressives worry the party lacks a clear vision and message.
politico.com/story/2017/02/democrat-retreat-tensions-234866

Expect 8 years.

I just shrugged when it happened. I always assume I'm all types of lists anyway. Glad to waste security force's time and money.

Why would an alphabet soup front warn journalists that the state the alphabet works for wants to monitor their emails?
I am pretty sure they don't need your password to monitor your emails.

These tech darlings of liberals always turn out like this. Funny that.

I've been expecting 8 years since election day, when I saw the intelligentsia and Twitteratti ,who were wrong about literally everything, immediately try to weave excuses as to how it was everyone else's fault but their own.

Does anyone else agree with this policy. In Canada we have a huge number of fair weather citizens; rich chinese people who get citizenship and buy up real estate as an insurance policy for China disentagrating, third-worlders who work and get healthcare here but spend all their money at home, parasite bankers who go to the US to get taxes but still use Canadian social services.

It really fucking pisses me off.

Ahh the old unions forced us to outsource your jobs because they bargained for higher wages.

Fuck you Elon Musk. I can't wait for the liberal tears when you're put up against the wall.

The UAW is shit though

So we can't even credit aut-faggots for that? Welp, looks like neoliberalism is here to stay.

I thought PRISM already looked at that. This is like having your balls fondled after going through the x-ray machine. Absolute humiliation.

My understanding is that PRISM is meta-data and keyword flagging. What CBP officers are doing at airports right now are actually demanding passwords for laptops and cellphones from "flagged" travelers and having the people wait while they go through your fucking social media

So it sounds vastly more intrusive than PRISM to me

What if you don't have an account on any social media website?

Terrorist!

what are you, some kind of subversive?

This kinda makes sense from a nationalist perspective. Reminds me of the big scare in Protestant countries when people were worried that Catholics were all agents of the Vatican.

Maybe the Jewish vote was always against her or is insignificant in France but I assume their pissed. The Israel lobby seems pretty powerful since they passed the BDS ban and Israel is usually happy to work with the far-right too…

Anger erupts at Republican town halls
edition.cnn.com/2017/02/10/politics/republican-town-halls-obamacare/index.html

accelerate boys

NBC reports Putin willing to hand over Snowden

nbcnews.com/news/us-news/russia-eyes-sending-snowden-u-s-gift-trump-official-n718921?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

WEW LAD

Time to make a run for the nearest Ecuadorian embassy.

It's not going to happen. Doing something like that would dissuade future defectors. That would not be in Russia's long term interest.

NBC reports a lot of wishful thinking on the part of the security state. Disregard.

GERMANY INSTALLED THREE VERTICAL BUSES IN FRONT OF CHURCH TO CELEBRATE SYRIAN SHARIA JIHADIST GROUP AHRAR AL-SHAM

read more on nntpchan:
2hu-ch.org/t/b4eacc936189ae8b37556b1928e4d86c14cef7c3/#d8ce52d8dbc484e6223f3e790366bddb931b1495
and wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahrar_Al-Sham
lel, they changed their flag last year. fucking rebranding campaigns.

coincidentally i just read a comment on southfront.org that said the FSA mercenary army in west syria is under the command of Ahrar Al-Sham. so that's where our money goes.

Some FSA groups officially allied with Ahrar Al-Sham.
middleeasteye.net/news/syrian-rebels-flock-ahrar-al-sham-amid-fighting-al-qaeda-linked-group-863457440