Planescape: Torment/Infinity Engine Games Thread

I've made this thread because I need help, I've played Planescape: Torment for the filth time and I've found it too easy on it's default difficulty and the second hardest, so I plan to play on the hardest difficulty, however, I fear I might have no idea what I'm getting into, so I'm wondering if any of you got any experience on the matter, and if so, any tips? Wondering if there's a meta to learn.

Githzerai are elves but actually interesting and GOOD

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/temple1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's like one of the least replayable games. Once you beat it once or twice you know the entire story. Baldur's Gate/IW:D are much more replayable

Plus it's a game that has a "right" way and a "wrong" way to play it. Namely playing a fighter/thief character and not playing an Int/wis heavy wizard. Which is what the game was designed around.

I always found it fun to replay, just so I can get better at it, not to mention I found the combat to be enjoyable enough.

I always thought that a game with a challenging gameplay elevates the story and it's importance, same thing could be applied to PS:T. However it's lost that magic completely after having dominated both medium and second hardest difficulty. I'm hoping the hardest difficulty can really put up a challenge, I've been looking on the internet for info on said difficulty, but nothing has come up, I rather not waste my time with the game if it's hardest difficulty is a pushover, this is why I made this thread.

Discussion of other infinity games is allowed too

I played through it till I encountered a quest that was bugged (void bank) and also the item that brings the mechanical companion was bugged. Being the quest completionist autist that I was, I dropped it from sadness and just kept reading everything till I spoilered the ending. Although it is great, it should have many gameplay elements. It just reminds me of Xenogears, so much potential that wasn't taken to its limits.

That's pretty much the second half of this game that you didn't seem to encounter, lucky for you, you stopped before the game began going somewhat downhill by becoming mostly combat focused.

Why would you want to make a game with shit combat harder? Just play an Infinity Engine game with good combat instead (i.e. Icewind Dale)

This. PS:T is the kind of game you play for the story, not the gameplay.

Because I have poor taste, and I find the combat enjoyable enough.

No

Lol, you can't even create your own character in Torment. Shit game, would not play.

Icewind Dale: Decent combat, shit level design
Haven't played Icewind Dale 2 though

Icewind Dale 1 and 2 is pretty much has the best combat of the Infinity Engine official releases because it's heavily gameplay centric and a lot less plot driven.

If you liked the combat in Torment than you'd love other infinity engine stuff. Torment is probably the worst as far as combat goes. Its not hard to get neigh unstoppable with combat either.

Playing a straight up thief might be kind of fun though. Backstab can get pretty powerful.

I have some experience with other Infinity Engine games, specially Baldur's Gate. I don't know why so many people dislike infinite engine combat, I know it may not be as involved as other games, but I find it enjoyable enough.

I disagree. The levels are made specifically so you could take better advantage of any potential spells that you may have to avoid getting wrecked during certain fights, especially on harder difficulties.

That said, the backtracking that you have to do afterwards in some of them is abysmal.
Especially if you happen to run out of consumables halfway through and need to buy more.

Difficulty doesn't matter. You can run away from most combat encounters and still get the best ending. Just pump wisdom, int and constitution and solo through the game.

Icewind Dale 1 is serviceable yet very limited. 2 is a clusterfuck, which is sad.

Play something from the GoldBox games instead.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Agreed on 2, it uses proto 3rd ed rules that don't translate all that well. It's also ugly as fuck.

GoldBox games are totally worth it if you get the hang of them. They're also really easy to just google and download and shove into doxbox. Unlimited Adventures still has a pretty strong community too. The series of modules called 'the realm' are fucking fantastic and really brutal.

Has anyone played Beamdog's remaster? Can anyone tell me how much they fucked it up?
I remember when it was announced we were shitposting about all the shit that they would remove or add from the game, but then came the solemn realization that it might all come true like adding any trannies or covering up Annah.

I played the remaster, is pretty much the same, having played the original years back, no changes except higher resolution and other fancy crap.

Your post is confusing. Are you claiming that PST was designed around a fighter/thief PC?

Don't make me laugh. BG is mostly just reading and diplomacy, I agree with IWD though.

Unfortunately Liberals have completely ruined Dungeons and Dragons for me. I have no respect for any of the writers for Planescape or Baulders Gate anymore.

Its honestly not bat combat if you turn on the auto pause feature to stop the game. Pause when first initiating battle, auto pause after every spell cast (so that you can properly assigned new spells for your casters), every enemy death. Then use pause if you want to re-position your units. You can even make it completely turn based, but that is a bit too slow for my taste.

bad*

D&D can still be good when playing with close friends, that's the only way I've found to play D&D without any hiccups at least.

How exactly can libtards ruin DnD for you? They didn't implement any sort of rules for DnD so what's the problem? Not that I don't hate leftists or anything.

user, I don't have any

Reminder the Fallout Universe (Not including Bethesda's Fallout Universe) is connected to PS:T's.

Is not like I meant RL friends, more like people I've met over the internet who have D&D sessions on platforms like (((discord))). So don't feel left out user.

user D&D was created by Leftist. Everything about escapism and LARPing is very spiritually leftist. Also actual role playing is just something I never personally liked. I got into D&D originally because I liked the world building and story telling of being a DM.

>(((discord))) PUGS with strangers
thanks but no thanks. Far to anthropophobic to deal with strangers. You wouldn't know it if you met me IRL, because I can act like a socialite if necessary but I hate people. Its one reason why I prefer anonymous image boards. I get really bad social anxiety unless I know everyone in the room. Or paradoxically when there are so many people that I become just a random nobody, another face in a crowd.
sage for somewhat off-topic embarrassing blog-post

I just want to play video games.

You could pirate Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition.

Only normalfags have "friends".

Beamdog didn't screw with it or anything?

Not really, I've played their enhanced editions to see how they measure up to the originals, aside from BG 1 and 2 (Who only have 3 rather meh companions added to them). The games seem pretty much the same just with enhanced features and so on. I think the whole meddling business is a tad overblown, the only thing that is pozzed is the siege of dragonspear business and that's only a tranny and I don't know what else. Worth pirating I suppose.

Are any of these games not shit and feature actual good gameplay? Is there not a single RPG out there with good gameplay?

*and do any of them feature actually good gameplay?

I'm assuming this is not bait because you bothered to spell check but Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1, many JRPG's all have good game play. People wouldn't play RPG's if they where not fun.

They lack any real meaning. They're shit when it comes to action, and they're shit when it comes to tactics. I find it quite bizarre that the best RPGs of all time, according to RPG fans, all have shit gameplay. But what is more bizarre is that the worst RPGs of all time, according to these same RPG fans, all have shit gameplay. Planescape Torment is largely held as one of the best RPGs ever made, but every part of its gameplay is garbage.

That is a relief. I am still not giving money to Beamdog in any case.

Since this is the designated cRPG thread, I might as well ask here: is Temple of Elemental Evil any good and what do I need to get into it?
I'm asking because I tried to play it before, but it kept crashing, randomly locking up and not letting me scroll around.

Also, can you multi-class in it?

None of the dialogue choices matter in Baldur's Gate. The combat is the only part that is relevant.

well they added a black lesbian vampire called "Hexxat" to bg2.

How can anyone play pen and paper stuff in 2017 when you have no graphics or sounds, and you have to calculate the dice rolls/damage shit yourself? Computers have been invented for God's sake.

How bad is the story of Arcanum? I've heard that it wasn't really good.

The difficulty options literally tell you every thing they do, which is changing numbers. If you found the 2nd highest difficulty easy, the highest will also probably be easy, especially in PST.

For the other infinity engine games you can download autistic "tactics" mods, which usually involve giving enemies unique abilities that force you to use cheese tactics, and shit like making enemy wizards instacast 20 buff spells as soon as they turn hostile. (They do an amazing job with enemy thieves though. They basically start stealthed and carry around several potions of invisibility that they'll use to fuck up your party.)

Some people love it because it has the most faithful representation of 3E combat, down to attacks of opportunity.

Personally, I was not a fan, because they game was buggy and I hated the UI, weak story, and weird npc design.

Multiclassing is possible as per 3E rules.

The main story is pretty flimsy, but it is more functional than say, the Icewind Dale games. Where it shines is the sidequest dialogue, and how almost all quests can be solved in several different ways, including just murdering the fuck out of story NPCs

I've tried getting into Arcanum, but I always found it rather clunky to play, is it just me? Is there something wrong with me?

No. The game is a buggy mess and horribly unbalanced. I think the main appeal is the general setting and the huge amount of character customization you can do.

IWDee includes the classes and kits from BG2, which break the game (or at least remove all the challenge from it).

Well, Infinity Engine are entry level rpgs, tbh. They aren't meant to be hard or complicated, in fact they are the complete opposite.

You could try Wizardry 6-8, Gothic 1-2, or the Divinity series.

Temple of Elemental Evil is actually good in terms of being a turn based Tactical rpg. Game play and combat are solid but its just a dungeon crawler, so the story is irrelevant. However, I can't recommend it because there are no good ways to run it on modern systems. Even the "Wide Screen" fix doesn't really work properly. Its basically a good example of a game that actually could use a remake/remaster.

Oh I'm laffin

Have you tried the Temple+ mod?
moddb.com/mods/temple1

I have wanted to play ToEE, but Temple+ won't run in Wine and the Co8 mod pack requires a particular version of Java to run, I have no idea how to make it work in Wine. I really wish the developers would make a non-GUI installer in an interpreted language like Python that runs everywhere.

So which one do I use?
Temple+ or Co8 ?