When you love a games story but dont like the gameplay

When you love a games story but dont like the gameplay

I present to you Breath of Fire V: Dragon Qaurter.

BUT

I love the setting, the art, the music and the world but fuck me if that isn't the biggest black mark on an otherwise good game. No wonder it killed the series and sent it to mobage hell

It's for the best that Breath of Fire ended when it did. It could've been a lot worse; it could've ended up like Final Fantasy.

the dragon riding parts were acceptable, but everything else was horrid. Couldn't get enough of the story and how you unlocked more of it though.

I was the same with Nier and Automata. The gameplay was serviceable and Automata got the Platinum 'birds for scale' spectacle down but i was in it for the autism

The RTS parts sucked but the writing was pretty good and running your own country was fun. It was amazing how much of an evil bastard this game let you be.

So it was the original Rogue Legacy?

I've beaten this game on a new save file WITHOUT resetting ONCE. Ask me anything.

Why is there a uterus on the cover?

The biggest black mark on Dragon Quarter is they had the audacity to call it Breath of Fire 5.

In Japan, yeah. They at least dropped the numeral for the western release. But you're right. Treating it as a spinoff, while having a proper Breath of Fire V in development, would have probably gone over a lot better, regardless of reception. I mean, looking at, say, Final Fantasy, they didn't try to pass the original Final Fantasy Tactics off as "Final Fantasy VIII: Tactics", at least acknowledge it to be too different to work as being part of the main series. At its worst, Dragon Quarter wouldn't impact the main series if it had still been poorly received, and at best, it could have spawned a subseries under that new branding, or at least been a unique side game that could be appreciated for what it might have been, rather than what it wasn't. I'm not going call Dragon Quarter good or bad without playing it myself, but its struck me that too much change for what attempted to be passed off as a main entry (at least in Japan) can be considered rather detrimental.

Of course, given I've heard that Breath of Fire has always had a fairly middling customerbase, so for all I know, Capcom was already looking to find justification to toss it in the freezer, because they'd rather spend their money/time elsewhere. Didn't keep them from digging up Ryu's corpse to reanimate into a mobile zombie over a decade later though, and without even enough respect to remember the series numbering scheme (opting for "6" instead of "VI").

That can be said about the whole LoK franchise.
All of them shit to mediocre games but god damn are they interesting, well acted and have good setting.

actually you're intended to abuse the hardsave-softsave system along with keeping stat-up items in your locker to boost your stats and party xp at certain points in the game. You can easily beat it without restarting once, and can easily save enough party xp to do the superdungeon on your first ng+ at which point you'll be unstoppable with your +9 weapons regardless of any save abuse

Each got a little bet better, lowering the tedium and strengthening the story but they never did get a good balance on the puzzles or combat.

thank god that mobile abomination is shutting down

Not to say the gameplay is god awful, I just think the later games did it a lot better.

Why do people that suck at videogames hate BoFV?

Witcher 2's combat was horrible. There's a retarded thing where Geralt sheaths his weapon when in a conversation, then you have to wait a second for him to unsheath it, which can fuck you over if combat starts immediately after the conversation and there's 5 crossbows pointed at you. Note that you can't do your combat dodge with your weapon unsheathed. I'm assuming anyone who plays through this game on ironman nightmare takes the alternate quest route.
Divinity 2 also has the same problem. Its combat is horrible and almost none of your skills can be used without targeting an enemy. Your ranged attacks have an arbitrary limit because your arrows will pass through the enemy unless you target them and you can't cast spells or use skills unless you target them, and you can't target them from far away.

This game is the source of my favorite hentai image of all time.
The cat girl with a dick spinning it like a helicopter.

nigger, don't you go saying bad things about my Blood Omen!

Factually incorrect, you can cast most spells on the ground near enemies. As long as it has an AoE, which most do, then you'll hit them.

every single yoko taro game is shit
automata has good gameplay, relatively, thanks to platinum

I fail to see how the D counter is a bad thing. It served as both a pacing mechanic , as a way to add tension as each one goes on, And a way to balance out your dragon form which is stupidly overpowered. Very few games make me sweat as much as my first playthrough of DQ because I didn't know how long the game would be and each 10% I accumulated was another reminder that I was getting closer and closer to that game over.

Keep in mind it's more than possible to finish the game without having to use the restart. And you also forgot that you can either restart at your previous save or you can restart the entire game and there are benefits and trade-offs to doing both.

I get why the game has such a bad reputation because of somebody's already pointed out it was a lot of change in one jump for what was considered a Canon entry. But man if this isn't a really good game that just unfortunately has a bad reputation.

Why the fuck do people care if it's cannon or not, it's a goddamn videogame. Capcom did and still does whatever stupid shit they want because their ceo is a fucking retard.

Because fans can get disappointed if their sense of continuity is broken. In the case of BoF while the games are stand-alone, much like FF there are expectations of "constitutes a main entry" and BofV was a completely different type of RPG than any previous entry. It's not even the same breed of JRPG and plays more like a Strategy RPG in the Tri-Ace vein of design.

Your talking about a franchise that had spanned over a decade, it's not unbelievable that fans expecting a continuation of their franchise would be upset to get something that didn't look or feel like the games they had already played.

Granted I don't care as DQ was my first and only entry in the BoF franchise. I really need to play the other games.

Also it's important to note that the decision to change the game this much was purely internal. The devs wanted to make something different.