Half-Life 2

This is a 6/10 game by modern standards.

Only the second half is actually fun to play. The gunplay in general is absolute dogshit, the game is only somewhat fun because of the varied gameplay and environments. The overreliance on scripted events, and so called pacing, and not-cutscenes, really hurts its replayability. There are also multiple frustrating aspects such as shitty environmental deaths like getting hit in the head with a headcrab mortar missile (instant death), platforming with outright bad jumping controls, and hitscan enemies that force you to take damage, a lot of battles force you to trade punches, not realistic and not fun especially not if you're low on health and there are no healthpacks around.

Not to mention HL2 is pretty much responsible for the "cinematic" shooters that came out ever since, it is really the proto-call of duty.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1KDYZqRRlm4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is stale bait. Nobody here pretends to like valve. Try reddit or 4chan.

Not even by modern standards. I used to play it when it came out, and not only i didn't liked steam software that required me to have internet access which was awful thing by the time, but also i didn't found anything special in that linear cinematic game where everything is dependent on physics and the only fun gun is gravity gun. I only had real fun in multiplayer.
The episodes were even more terrible and boring. It wasn't proto call of duty, since call of duty already existed. It was just overrated.

First game had actually interesting level designs, better enemies, more combat dynamics and more level variety. Fuck, they even had cool ass alien level in that game.

This is a bait thread, but I'll humor you. What do you expect, time moves on. Still though, reading the complaints you listed make me thing about that one play tester that went around the same corner for an hour because they wouldn't stop turning right. Its been ages since I played the original HL2, but I don't remember having issues with health when I played it. After one or two encounters I always seemed to be full or near full, but I liked to carried around health packs with me if I could, and went back for them if I could.

You sound like a total noob

It was never good and added nonsense physics to the FPS genre.

virgin detected

You're too stupid to understand my complaint, the problem is that the game often forces you take damage to progress, that's just shitty design.

It was average when it came out. It's just a glorified engine demo.

Kitten power? What meme is this?

Nonsense physics?

Not my fault you are retarded. Game gave you a tool to use, and you refuse to use it. Game was pretty fucking lenient with health packs. It was easy to always have one or two left over to carry with you. Hell, some of the soldiers even dropped health if I remember correctly.

Alright but I also never had any problems with any other other issues you listed. Never got instant killed, or had a problem with platforming sections. Remember b-hoping with ease and beat it before they fixed it.

I liked it

At least the super gravity gun segment was fun

Wow nice work nintendo wtf

It is pretty shit but hey

B-but the character movement user! Mario can do a backflip and sidekick, literally no other game can do that!

who designs this shit?

fucken 0/10

nintendo

Fixed, it was 6/10 by 2004 standards; it was a 10/10 if you were a normalfag who never played a game with a physics engine before.

since when is new vidya considered good? everything since 2008 has been fucking trash

Hmmmm….

By (((modern standards))) hl2 is a fucking masterpiece

pretty much this

Yeah that's totally what is going on here and not a concentrated effort to create an artificial consensus in a certain topic. Thanls for outing yourself.

I made the other thread :3

IMO the hat throw in Odyssey is better than punches/kicks

Nah, if anything it's worse now because of the cancer that spawned from its success.

all cuz the "thinking men" half-life fans are really actual retards like most steam children

It's just Hotline Miami with less thought and with a holographic projection.

But standards have lowered so it should be a 20/10.

How are you this illiterate?

True, because modern standards are shit like Hellblade and Bioscock. When things start moving back in the right direction, it will return to it's proper glory

It was a 6/10 back then too, there were numerous, non-pro (payed for) reviews and forums speaking of how un-challenging and easy the game was and how down right RETARDED the IA was (especially compared to the first one) and it came out the best year ever for FPS (UT2004, Doom 3, Far Cry, Painkiller, Joint Ops, Tribes: V), so it's not like there wasn't comparisons made, especially gameplay wise… And let's not even talk about how shitty steam was for the time standard (now with origin and uplay everyone regard steam as way more solid, which is true, but it still shat the bed quite often early on. It's the dumb fat kid VS the mentally retarded).

It just the journos standard were already modern day standard so 10/10 Best GAME EV4RRRR.

But Half-life 2 had great AI. This is an objective ==fact==.

Oh look, it's the Valvecuck from the Halo 2 vs. Half-life 2 thread
Fucking knew you came from >>>/reddit/

Fixed, HL2 is part of why we have dumbed down FPSes now.

Hitler is part of the reason why we have so many jews out of control now yet I don't blame him alone for that or take the merit away from what he did.

kek.
Half-life 1 and 2 had great AI. This is a fact.

For 1998, sure.
Fuck no, at least not in HL2 proper.

Except that video literally shows what the AI could do. Look how the AI form squats and use cover.
Even their fucking voice system for 1 and 2 were great even in 2004 and I don't see it used even today.

This is 100% true.
Personally, I blame that fucking controller. Every game on the N64 felt like a chore to play because of it. There's a reason the PSX kicked its ass.

That's all from HL1, which I conceded had good AI for its time. The combine in HL2 were mostly dumb.

wow, can't believe people like this

Hl2 also had a similar voice system and even in 2004 it was unique. Half-life 2's AI knew how to traverse maps, group up and find cover really well.

the newer doom is much better thanks to bethesda

nudoom had
AND I don't have to fucking install all the drivers for DOS.
oldoom aka SHITdoom doesn't even compare.

Nope
There were great at doing these things then being sitting ducks at getting shot or taking grenades to the face. Their reaction time to defend themselves is also laughable.

You also cannot defend the objectively shit companion AI that serves no purpose whatsoever besides shiting out some extra health.

youtube.com/watch?v=1KDYZqRRlm4
They know how to traverse a map without being specifically told what to do and they know to take cover behind objects.

Forgot to embed

The reason is not the controller

how the fuck could anyone consider these videos impressive? holy shit valvefags are so delusional its insane

Half-life 2's AI is by no means bad, but it certainly is nothing special either. Basic squad-level tactics and flanking maneuvers should not be considered impressive, even when the game first came out.

yeah it was cool in half life 1 but standard when hl2 rolled out

If AI is designed to avoid your crosshairs, that's overdesigned AI. That's just a fact. AI should have no knowledge or awareness of your crosshair, and so stopping short of it and defying regular behavioral patterns is ridiculous.

Man, do I get nostalgic for some orange source maps.

lmao you fucking conehead, the point is that they just run out of cover right at you like some serious sam shit, utter retardation

The alternative is for them to stand behind cover forever and not move towards you when you aren't in the line of fire. Rushing you makes more sense than that for a videogame.

Also the specific gun the combine soldier has determines it too. If it's a short distance weapon vs short.

HL2 isn't a video game, it's just a tech demo for source that is more keen on having you stack boxes and physics set piece, than actually being a fucking video game.
HL2 is a textbook definition of a meme game, even if you bother asking the cattle why hl2 is "good" it will always come to "because that's what everyone says".
I'm glad people are finally waking up.

kek, what a fucking cop out

Just wow. How about taking up a good position behind cover? Maybe throw a grenade around the corner (and before you say they do that, no they don't, they just randomly throw grenades independent of the battle situation), maybe try to peak around the corner? You know expose as little as possible of themselves while still getting a good shot in? Maybe shoot those energy balls around the corner?

Face it the AI is literally shit, that stupid fucking combine ran like 3 meters out of cover for no good reason, he could have just stood right by the corner to shoot you

And you bring up rushing, why don't they rush together? It's always one by one popping out around the corner giving you time to kill one before the next shitter pops out

its all shit

I'm not sure which is the bigger joke: HL2 or modern standards

That's my problem with the game. Everything else is alright, but not good enough to justify playing it. It's a shit game, though you could MAYBE argue that it's decent at best, because it's not bad, but boring.

HL2 bored the shit out of me. I tried to play it multiple times, but it just made me feel like playing something fun, so I just played more Doom or Duke Nukem 3D instead. I never finished it, even though I pretty much never give up on games. Just forgot to play it, because I was that interested.

HL1 is a much better game, though. That was a lot more fun. Fucking up 2 probably took Valve a lot of effort, because just making another Half-Life should have already been good enough.

Better than HL2. More like a 7.5/10. More of a fan of Sunshine. All of the Mario games are overrated, though, except for the ones that people don't talk about. At least when it comes to my taste, there have always been better games out there. In the case of Mario 64, those games were the Crashes and the Spyros. I was playing the shit out of those at the time, so Mario 64 didn't interest me all that much and I only beat it many years later.

The 2D games were like that as well. There were always other series that I preferred. On the NES and SNES, those were Mega Man and Castlevania (I actually really liked Dracula X on the SNES, so it wasn't just 4), and more recently the Ninja Gaiden trilogy. My favorite 2D Mario is probably the American Mario 2, and that's technically not even a Mario game, or maybe Land 1 or 2 (those games are wacky and have more variety, even though they are short, so I really like them). And that's coming from a guy that beat every single one of them until Galaxy, just because he could, and it honestly doesn't take long because they're baby games, for the most part. You can easily marathon them all. Getting 100% is where I get my fun, because I must be fucking autistic or some shit, so I really like collecting shit for no reason. It's a guilty pleasure, or it was, before Nintendo started pissing me off. I don't miss them, because it's not like they still make F-Zero games (because they naturally avoid things that they know are good and not for casuals, and F-Zero would be that thing, in Nintendo's case). Hope they don't, because I refuse to buy their trash. If you own a Switch, end yourself.

I blame (((America))), (((Britain))) and (((France))) for that. France being the most irredeemable, and the political cancer capital (they are actually a big reason why America is shit) of the planet. Fuck France with a big fat nuke. I hope they get dominated by ISIS, and then the rest of Europe turns their entire country into a concentration camp/human dumpster and gasses and burns it until it becomes a wasteland.

What did France do to America that's so horrible?

Both

yea no shit asshat, thats why it was released 13 years ago

Don't get triggered, reditard.

HL2 is still in my top 5. I get a major sense of flow from the beginning all the way to the point where you return to City 17 (at which point it becomes shit). Although I will admit that the gun feel is terrible on everything but the revolver and gravity gun. HL1 had the same problem.

Remember the French revolution?

Well, France embodies all of the ideological cancer that resulted from that, and America drank their poison pretty early on. The entirety of their culture represents and celebrates all that. I clearly remember Evola shitting on them as well. Pretty sure that it happened in Heathen Imperialism, maybe something else as well. I think he even called them niggers.

Actually, the French don't even believe in 'French people', because they don't believe in countries and ethnicities. They think that everyone is French because of equality, essentially. But I do believe in all of that, and I also happen to believe in firebombing them until they're extinct.

How would that make it any worse than when it was released? Is it because it was released before you were born?

It's a shit game, but go back to Reddit.

You're retarded, the american revolution happened before the french revolution and its values were different. Evola was a loser virgin retard too btw.

I never mentioned the American revolution. But the ideologies did spread. Regardless, if you're a nigger, then there isn't much of a reason to talk.

This post has spoilers, so fuck you to anyone if you haven't played through the Half-Life games after this many years.
The thing about Half-Life 2 is that while it's not a bad game, it kind of doesn't really keep well after 13 years. I don't have an issue with static health that relies on healing kits, or hitscan enemies, but I feel like the story telling is fairly awful. And the forced companion bullshit with the Alyx character, I felt absolutely nothing emotionally toward her from the beginning of HL2 to the end of Episode 2. Nor do I have any empathy or emotion for the supporting cast, when Eli Vance dies it didn't even register as an "oh shit" for me, I was just like "well I didn't see it coming, but I kind of expected that everyone would die in the end."

The level design is really linear, and some sections of the game worked really well on their own, and I would welcome them to be expanded into their own titles. But instead, we get these half-assed pieces that work well on their own stuck together and we remove the glue that might have bound it together, like Lost Coast. Half-Life 2 did a very nice job with physics, and a very nice job with getting the most performance out of your hardware. But I also liked Doom 3's approach to game play.

I wouldn't mind if Half-Life 3 came out, but I don't really care one way or another. I like the games, but they don't even register in my top 10, let alone top 5.

I played Half Life 2 sometime near release - at least within the year.

It was not a good game. I already had extensive experience with quake, unreal tournament, and halo; plus a little bit of half life 1 multiplayer and a lot of tribes.

So I was expecting half life 2 to be pretty good. A lot of people talked it up like crazy.
But it became immediately apparent to me that the game was not good. It's a game made by developers who had no idea how to make an FPS title. The controls were awful, the gunplay was awful, the level design was awful. The enemies and AI were okay but there just wasn't enough variance, the gravity gun was the only really interesting weapon in the game, and the physics engine the only really interesting part of gameplay (and I suspect these two things are why garry's mod took off).

6/10 is almost being too generous to this game.
Technically speaking, it's all there: It runs, graphics are nice, has audio, physics engine. It's not a stuttering mess of a game, it isn't full of show-stopping bugs.

But it's also really really boring to play.

I said as much when it launched, but I was always drowned out by the fanboys who treated it like the second coming of christ. To this day I still have no idea how valve got that rabid fanbase together. I don't really mind, since it spawned Steam, but it still puzzles me.

Dunno what you played, but that wasn't HL2, unless "awful" to you means "no controller support." The controls were tight and very well done.
Nope.
Nope.
Half-Life 2 was amazingly well optimized, and you say you played it after release, so it was already patched. Even on day 1 there was no need for a fix patch, because it was running well.

the gunplay is objectively shit, all the common weapons are shit, the smg, the assualt rife, the pistol are all absolute dog shit

crossbow, revolver, rocket launder were good but barely any ammo in the game

alyx ai is fucking retarded too, she runs into suicide all the time when you play on hard

if you trigger the next part of the script she will ignore everything around her and just run straight to the next run point even if she has 10 soldiers surroudning her

wow truly 10/10 groundbreaking ai

this is the most overrated game of all time, even more overrated than ocarina of time

Are you sure you played the same game, user?

I think the biggest problem with Half-Life 2 is that it doesn't really have any kind of core game mechanic that it really tries to focus on and perfect.

The gunplay is acceptable but weapons really for the most part lack any kind of visceral feedback and I think this is mostly because of how the enemies react upon taking damage or to be more precise, how they do not. Enemies will take damage without any kind of reaction until the damage accumulates enough to where they will crumple into a heap. Enemy behavior is also very simple and they tend to charge at the player and attempt to avoid grenades (and nothing else). Because of this most firefights will devolve into the player just clicking the fire button until an enemy is dead without really, I think, becoming invested in any encounters.

I think the only thing that Half-Life 2 has that other games at the time didn't have were the physics but now every game has physics objects and rag dolls for the most part, at least first person shooters do, and HL2 didn't really incorporated them meaningfully into the gameplay outside a few simple puzzles and being able to fling explosive objects at enemies. However, this has been done again and again in shooters since then so it no longer really impresses modern players like it did 13 years ago.

I think Valve recognized these short comings and instead tried to distract the player with introducing new mechanics every few hours. First with vehicles, then with Antlions, Ravenholm, Strider combat, player led squads, and in the final act a super gravity gun. It keeps the player engaged and is paced really well but none would stand on their own. So I come away from the game not thinking it's bad but thinking that it's a very unfocused game with really talented people and a lot of money put into it so that the only really positive things I can say about it was that I wasn't bored while playing it.

It really isn't. It's a very bland game.

"By modern standards" would imply other games have done HL2 better than HL2 in the time since. So, name them.

FEAR might have, but that's it. FEAR took from half-life in a good way but no other game has topped that or HL2.

even the first half life does half life better than half life 2

but really any new generic 7/10 shooter does the whole cinematic shooter thing better than hl2, and thats pretty much what hl2 aspires to be, an interactive action movie

Just play SMOD Redux, OP.

uhhh
we're talking virtually every single fps franchise since even before half life 2 launched

Half Life 2 is genuinely one of the worst fps games that was ever released. It's competition is other lackluster, technically finished, but unfun shooters that nobody plays.

I know the fanboys will never accept it, but HL2 was never good. Even before it released there were games that did it all better. It's some kind of weird marketing fluke that it gained any kind of widespread popularity - I think because most half life 2 fans haven't actually played any other FPS, which is why they always seem to think it's so good.

Looks nice. Is there any mod that lets me skip non-cutscenes?