If a game doesn't look good without anti-aliasing, it doesn't look good

If a game doesn't look good without anti-aliasing, it doesn't look good.

Discuss.

What's got you so sour? Your piss-poor graphics card or what?

You're partially right actually. It is possible to design a game with geometry and aesthetic that minimalize aliasing on edges. But it would also require a reasonable screen resolution as well. Overall anti-aliasing is great because it gives developers more flexibility without having to necessarily worry about muh jaggies. And basic AA hasn't been a performance issue in fucking years

That was an awful fast shitpost, my friend.

Great image OP 5/7 post, soaked it in wood

It was but why are you badmouthing your own thread?

I don't like aa that much, it has to be either no aa or 2x msaa

Turn it on then.

That's just, like, your opinion man. I implore you to admire my digits.

I hate anti aliasing, I always make sure tobdisable it.

CSS is probably the best game ever made.

nobody gets to have dubs. I'm keeping them to myself.

anti aliasing is just the next best thing to actually having a higher resolution. aliasing is afterall a byproduct of approximating curves and diagonal lines on the pixel grids that are modern displays.

fire up any modern game and crank the resolution down it will look like garbage because the scenes are so busy with fine detail.

What's there to discuss? This is an objective fact.
If the game doesn't look good, applying a bunch of processing over the top won't make it better.

Anyone that disagrees is the kind of faggot that thinks Star Wars needs 500 filters over the top with a shit ton of sun flares to look good.

The difference is obvious, but I think it's down to preference as to which is better.

not all forms of anti aliasing are the fucking garbage in the post proccess anti aliasing category which is just sloppy painted on blur.

MSAA for instance hunts for edges and increases the sampling rate around those edges. this happens before the post proccessing step which is why it can't do anything about aliasing on post proccess effects.

more importantly OPs entire premise may as well just read, if your game looks bad in low resolution it just looks bad overall, because aliasing is a problem faced by low resolution rendering, the higher your resolution the less impactful aliasing becomes and the less important anti aliasing gets. what looks bad at low resolution? fine details like folliage, intricately detailed textures, any "natural shape", architecture that isnt exactly perpendicular to the ground. its utter nonsense.

this image shows it better

What game? nu-Tomb Raider?

fucking hell user, where have you been the last two years?

I feel like static images ignore one of the major issues with aliasing, which is that it's so damn obvious the moment there's even a hint of movement.

I don't play many action/adventure games, and that one doesn't look especially offensive.
pls no bully

this is how stupid you sound
kill yourself.

Dis­posable we­ebshit, not worth your time.

It's about gameplay you cancerous faggots!
Fuck graphics.

if I remember the map icons correctly (and judging by the autistic response), it's Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.

Thanks user. I'll give it a try, Dragon's Dogma is on the backlog.

Fucking plebs

anti-aliasing was created because monitor pixels are made out of squares and triangles. you can only get so much detail out of it before it looks jagged.

but user, we're talking about aesthetics now, not gameplay

I cant see a difference at all here

the one on the bottom looks slightly blurry, but I could be imagining things its so slight

so if I got this strait AA reduces the jaggedness in a couple places as highlighted but they end up looking like blurry shit (especially the roof of the house) and as the shadow in the right shows, it dosnt really work
I am going to start turning AA off in all my games to see if I notice a difference, from how little it seems to do and the tiny detriments you get like the blurriness it seems practically worthless, so if I can squeeze out even two or three frames I would rather have the frames

They don't
Check your prescription.

my glasses are new mister trips, its very slight but they do, lines and shapes become less distinct where the meet

if you can you should only do about 2x anti-aliasing, any more is not really worth it.

it all depends on anti aliasing implementation, most post proccess anti aliasing is selectively blurred garbage, dog shit like FXAA just smears everything.

something like MSAA hunts for edges and actually increases the render resolution around these areas then downsamples back the your intended output resolution. its great on level geometry but doesnt work at all on post proccess effects like smoke.

SSAA is just plain rendering at a higher resolution and then downsampling to your output resolution but of course it shits all over your performance.

LCDfags BTFO.

i agree, not just AA but the whole post processing shit. some games just look horrible with AA/Bloom literally the only reason it looked good because the AA/Bloom made it so fucking blurry you couldn't actually see how it was.

Remember the good old days when graphics were about stellar textures and smart use of polygons. :/

The worst part is that CuckRT fags actually believe this.

same here

If this thread doesn´t look good without dubs, it doesn´t look good.

Discuss.

Good goyim, defend your laggy fixed resolution display.

It rather higher ppi became the standard for new monitors.

Nothing wrong with really good graphics in a game just as long as the game is fun. You can say the same thing about about any other good game that's ever been released. People like fancy new graphics, they always have

No. What's your CRTs resolution limit, 2048x1536? 2560x1440? Via SSAA you can still get more image quality from rendering in a higher res than your CRT supports.

Anti-aliasing is a shitty replacement for working with the medium to produce something that looks good.

correct.

Antialiasing is exclusively necessary to lower resolutions

Source?

I can't believe modern Holla Forums promotes bloom&blur

you are such hypocrites

lmao have fun with your working eyes you fags

I almost never play with AA on, just models, textures, and view distance as high as I can go. I prefer sharp, clear images where I can actually see what everything is rather than mixing it all up into a muddy mess with filters. A person at a distance being five vaguely person-shaped pixels may look like ass, but it is still better than it being one pixel that may be the person fading into the environment like an octopus or something.