Do you play old FPS games with a mouse?

Do you play old FPS games with a mouse?

Yes.

I am too young to have ever played an FPS with a keyboard so yes.

I wish mouse look worked properly on redneck rampage.

This. I can't even envision not using a mouse.

fucking why

Why would you want to control the camera with a mouse and not the keyboard? Is that what you're asking?

Uh, yeah? It was designed to be played with a mouse.

I tried to play them with keyboard and it was terrible experience.
And i am not young.

Yeah. I discovered an option for mouse-look when Quake 2 came out and it blew my mind. Before that I just used the keyboard and had no fucking idea.

Doom was designed to be used with a mouse, but it was turned off by default, because most consumers didn't have a mouse at the time.

Of course. Don't tell me you're some kind of keyboard-only purist.

Actually I made this thread because I can only play these games with a mouse and it feels bad to do it otherwise.

even wolfenstein 3d had mouse support. Quit trying to make people feel underaged by trying to draw conclusions using input method

wolf3d did not, however, use strafing. That's a better one to draw conclusions with

it's not that they didn't have a mouse, it's that the standard system dos systems at the time didn't require it. So it was best to target what everyone had as a minimum requirement.

That said, the game is perfectly playable keyboard only, but definitely not if you wish to play optimally. It can be fun to limit yourself, sometimes I play some games with the controller upside down just for a fun personal challenge.

If it's doom I'm almost always playing keyboard only.

Yes. For example Duke Nuke'm 3D needs to have mouse's vertical movement sensitivity doubled. It was already an issue two decades ago.

When I first got into Doom I wanted a original experience. I used chocolate doom with keyboard controls for aiming. Now when I play Doom Engine Games I use a mouse with a fixed y axis. I find any games designed without aiming in the y axis in mind feel terrible.

????

hahahahahahahhashahahahah

It depends, ones with 3D enemies yes, ones with sprite enemies no
Unless it is duke
Duke plays like runny aids water without mouselook

Also, in a weird coincidence that I just remembered.
SRB2 plays like ass without mouselook, especially in net games

You fags are so triggered for browsing Holla Forums that you think every OP is trying to attack you.

The better question is has anyone actually played with just a keyboard? What kinds of unusual control setups have you guys used for games? I'm thinking about emulating Guitar Hero On Tour with a touchscreen laptop and a gamecube controller, haven't tried it yet.

Oh, is that a joke on vanilla doom?
Dem funny memers

Wolf3D has a strafe key, left Alt by default if I'm not mistaken. you're not double-baiting me, double baiter

For a reason I don't rightly remember I once found myself playing Doom95 with keyboard only because mouse wouldn't work in Doom95 on Windows XP. I have no recollection of why I played said port on said system, but I do remember mapping strafe movement to WASD, turning to arrow keys, and fire and use to forward and back arrow respectively. I would use a similar setup when playing emulated games without a controller.

I have my experience playing with a keyboard, but there is no way I'm going back to that shit, unless it's necessary.

piece of shit sourceport, just use ZDooM like everyone else. that crapheap is still locked at 35 FPS after 20 years of development. Unless you're into demo-autism, in which case good job being the cancer of the community.

I play with both schemes.

Why though? It was meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard, John Romero played it with a mouse and keyboard, there's no reason not to use a mouse.

It's not fun without a mouse. Go fuck yourself.

Nope

As long as it's possible, yes. The only exceptions I can think of are old console exclusive FPSs that can't be emulated.

Uhh why?

The developers of Doom weren't purists. John Romero described how he'd try his hardest to speedrun Wolfenstein 3D and he used a mouse. This was pre-Doom.

Not to mention both Romero and Carmack have used sourceports to play the game now. Romero even used a fanmade level editor to make a new Doom level. The only reason these games were primarily played using a keyboard was because most people primarily used keyboards at the time. It's a vastly inferior way to play FPS games.

Also Doom also supported a Joystick at launch and it had numerous console ports that used a gamepad.

The myth that the keyboard/dos version is the "true" way to play the game ignores that the developers of these games don't subscribe to this bullshit at all. It's like claiming the only way to watch Indiana Jones is to watch the VHS version.

I use WASD for strafing and the mouse for aiming, why the fuck would I use obly the keyboard like a poor person? Also free aiming in Doom engine games sucks.
pic unrelated

I'm not asking. The old FPS like DOOM and Wolf3D were awesome with keyboard only. The only time I've ever used a mouse for those old FPS was when there was a source port available. It just didn't feel right.