Games with top tier AI

Currently replaying FEAR1 to see if the AI really was as good as I remember.

The AI in fear is amazingly good with grenade timing, best I've seen in any game.
The only other game I can think of with genuinely good AI was Stalker.

AI in Fear isn't that great. The devs said it themselves. Each action you do gives the computer 3 actions they do, that's it. It's a great illusion that the AI is almost lifelike.

I know, I read the essay one of the devs wrote but it's still a much better AI than most games.
I underestimated it and it punished me pretty hard for that.

Which means that the AI is actually good. I also remember Half Life 2s AI being decent but that was a long time ago, it may actually be shit.

It's dumb as a bag of hammers, the "flanking" it does is braindead, they just fan out around you, sometimes completely disregarding cover, making them easy to kill. Occasionally it works really well if there's large obstacles, for example a bandit flanking around the depot in garbage from the back when you're attacking from the roadside, but the majority of the time they're happy to walk through the open. As for the way they'll sometimes sneak right up behind you before firing, I'm guessing it's scripted, as if they actually went to the trouble of making the A.I recognize when it can sneak up on you instead of some scripting with the player's FOV or something, I doubt they'd also "flank" by completely disregarding cover.

ITT every AI in every game is shit, there was never such a thing as good AI and even relatively good AI will get anons sperging.

which is still more than most games significantly newer than FEAR provide.

If you play with certain mods that change the AI it can help with that, I was playing SGM and almost shit myself the first time I was walking around at night and I realized I was being stalked by a bandit with a shotgun for about 5 minutes, as soon as I turned around and realized he was there he just unloaded both barrels pointblank and killed me

Nailed it, but I'd argue that's the key to good vidya AI right there, since at the end of the day player perception is most important.

The devs said that the AI in FEAR is actually very simple. What made them seem smart was clever level design.

That's what makes it fantastic, yet all the more hurtful that more modern vidya can't or won't replicate it.

It costs more to create good AI that can challenge you in such a manner. It's also harder. Much simpler for lazy devs to simply beef up the HP and damage values on an enemy instead of putting intelligent thought into the game mechanics.

Plus gaming is catering more to casual fuckwits who can't learn a game anymore so making something actually capable of killing them is a niche market like dark souls. You sell more if the game is accessible, looks pretty and panders to the lowest common denominators.

And yet those 3 actions outshine any modern A.I. to date.

Actual A.I is only really needed in very open game world/levels. On handcrafted maps enemy placement and some scripting can be enough to make for engaging battles.

Killzone 2 & 3 have alright AI (haven't played Shadow Fall but I'd hope that it's about as good). I remember being impressed with the jungle level in 3 when I went into a cave at the side of an open arena, heard a Helghast shout something about flanking, then seeing one Helghast rush in front of me and a grenade being thrown at me from behind.

The part that puts the intelligence in AI is choosing which of the three to do.

Compare this to the non-existent AI in games like cowadoody and it does feel very impressive.

F.E.A.R.'s AI was above-average, but what made it feel aware was the enemy using radios to communicate and you being able to hear them tell each other what to do instead of just wordlessly working together.

Also, the way their morale shattered after you slowly mowed down each squad was amazingly satisfying. They got as spooked as you got from Alma. Don't listen to contrarians, this game was super spooky when it was released and I still get spooped on occasion.

Man I've never felt kinda bad for enemy goons till this game. Those voice lines that are triggered in situation where you fuck them up really gave them character.

It's pretty weird how human they appear when you remember they are actually just clones.

It is 3 more actions than modern AI gets.

The problem with F.E.A.R's spooks is that it's practically always in the designated spooking zone. Flickering lights, no enemies, sting after sting. The stings were, without a doubt, the worst part of the game because I'd find myself not actually seeing what was supposed to spook me and instead just getting an ear rape.
There were some stand out spooks though. The ladder and elevator window in particular caught me off guard.

??
Man was I so non-invested in the horror that I missed a major spook to playthroughs in a row? Got a webm or video of that part?
The horror was pathetic. It lowers the game honestly.

This bugged me. The whole psychically controlled soldier thing didn't make a lick of sense considering they act nothing like Fettel, verbally communicate, and all around seemed like individuals. Is there something in the lore about this I wonder?

She's top tier.

even on my second playthrough it got me, damnit

When will this stupid meme die? The AI in F.E.A.R. is pretty goddamn weak, and the level design is nothing to write home about either. Your time in F.E.A.R. will be spent using the slow-mo crap and blasting away hapless enemies because they can do absolutely nothing to you.

I kind of poorly worded it, so you activate an elevator in a security room and when you turn around you see Alma in the window of the office, this by itself wasn't that spooky, but when you walk out the door instead of simply vanishing she walks straight at you. This completely caught me off guard and got me good.

those new spoiler images are ugly as fuck

I also thought of another one that got me. It's just barely off the main path but Alma crawls out of a dark cubicle as you walk into it.

Best we can get right now.

Link?

In the end of the main game, you hear a phone call. A female voice says that, despite the clone army failing, the first "prototype" was a complete success. This, coupled with the fact that you are one of Alma's sons, leads me to believe that YOU are the first prototype, and that YOU were a complete success.
Imagine having a psychically controlled super-soldier, who is capable of taking out immense amounts of normal soldiers AND deal with the horrors of the warp or whatever they used to make Alma's mind go bananas. I would call that a success.

Isn't that the whole point of good AI? There's ultimately only a narrow amount of actions any AI can perform, It's the illusion that it feels like it's doing some thing more than it is is what makes it good.

Seconding this.

Third.

?
I still see the old ones.

AI doesn't exist, all I want is a good illusion. Stop being pretentions faggots, it will always be fake but I want it to make me forget it is.

This.

Compared to what, exactly?

most games

>

yes, that's why it's so good. it's essentially handcrafted, because the AI has a few meaningful things it can do at various chokepoints, and the levels are made to synergize with that.

Really got my noggin' joggin'.

Video games use behavior trees, not AI.

Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

Could you elaborate?

Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 and a mod that makes the AI more aggressive.
It truly is the dark souls of squad based games.

Name 3.

This faggot always posts the same fucking retarded shit, I swear its the same one that says a WWI game is impossible to make because trench warfare.

Scripted and simple or not, its good A.I, just like Quake and UT A.I is good A.I.

Get ready for bait

Half-Life 2s AI could have been good, technically its good, but it seems during testing they fucked it over by caving and designing it around feedback saying "its not fun enough", they on purpose hampered it, hell HL1 has older version and its better because they let it the fuck do what its supposed to

What a time to be alive

He already replied to bait.

Ok then, descent 2. Or doom.

Unreal and Unreal Tournament had amazing AI for 1998 and 1999.

Metal Gear Solid 2, 3, and 4 had really great AI that really shows at higher difficulties.

Crysis 1 had solid AI at the highest difficulty.

the AI in crysis is a great example of shit tier as described by

Also you can't make a good WW1 game set in the trenches.

Disgusting.

Are the expansions or FEAR2 worth playing?

Okay mang, let's just put a move and shoot bots and stationary shoot anything in line of site bots at the top over a bot that actually changes it's position relative to yours instead. Play FEAR without slowmo and see how well you do.

Wasn't this proven fake already?

Extraction Point is good. Perseus Mandate is trash.

FEAR 2 is mediocre and going from FEAR 1 to FEAR 2 shows how downgraded the game was for consoles.

No, they really made a neural network with the ability to have human reasoning, feelings and make their own decisions in a videogame of 1999 with 310,000 lines of code.

Please stop posting this cancerous youtuber whore.

I just started a new playthrough the other day. The soldiers are indeed cloned and bred, but they also specifically mention how they're trained to receive the psychic uplink. They're fully-functioning human beings in that they have memories and trained behavior but once the "switch" on them is deactivated, they go dormant.

In addition, you can hear Replica's commanding forces issuing orders and requesting updates, bearing the implication that the "network" shared by the clones is one-way control by Fettel, whereas the rest of them have to use radio and hierarchy.

What about the AI in splinter cell 3?

F.E.A.R. fanboys, everyone. The game is fucking easy no matter what you do. It's not even as good as Halo, much less Doom. F.E.A.R. is only remembered fondly due to nostalgiafags who can't accept that this game they played as kids is not as good as they remember, same with Halo.

Could you explain? I already asked you beforehand here

I just played it to double check, and either you're one of those faggots who can't handle higher difficulties or you never even played the game. Even putting aside the slowmo, FEAR's bots is a finite state machine that is constantly changing based on changing variables, one of them being your own position on the map, vanilla Doom enemies are much much simpler then that and putting them above FEAR is laughable on any measure.