Keyboard Thread

Let's have some talk about keyboards.

My Dynex keyboard that's probably a dozen years old is finally losing responsiveness in the 0 and - columns. I'm thinking about replacing it with a mechanical keyboard, but don't know what I should go for.

Are Cherry Brown switches a meme, or are they actually that good? What about other brands of switches on the market?

I like how my Dynex keyboard has quick buttons for things like playing music, stopping music, and changing volume. Are there any mechanical keyboards out there with doodads like those, or do I need to look up some kind of keyboard macros to do that job?

Red master race

K70 corsair browns

Nah, I want at least some kind of actuation on my keypresses. Not sure yet if I want to be going the audible route or not though.

Green here, red is a loser

i just want you all to know that the steelseries apex is the worst piece of computer hardware i have ever owned and i regret ever buying it. what's a decent keyboard with an analog volume control, dedicated media keys (play/pause, next track/previous track) and is under about $125?

Wait, people actually use keyboards to game? I thought that was just a meme.

i got a new IBM terminal keyboard to replace my Model M that I in my own autism accidentally spilled windex into. I might do a nuts and bolts mod on it in the future and if i did that I could fix the shorts, but eh thats a future problem.

I can't play racing games without using an old lenovo KB-0225. I actually find it better than a wheel despite the lack of precise control.

just run to BP/shell and pick up some rubbing alcohol, you could probably clean it out tonight

I got a small 88 key blue keyboard at a yard sale for 5 bucks brand new. Ive never used a keyboard so good. I also got a free full mechanical keyboard at a yard sale. Its a nice one, but it uses ps/2 and my laptop doesnt have one, so i had to order one and it works really well.

What the fuck?

I dont have the tools to take it apart atm, It gave me a reason to buy another IBM so thats why i just bought a replacement. I also plan on doing the nuts and bolts and maybe even a 60% mod so ill just do it then.

I ised it exclusively for gaming if I can. La Mulana, Touhou, Hollow Knight, the list goes on

Windows actually forces their basic layout over the keyboard so the keyboard layout is currently different then how I bought it. This is what it looks like without any changes

That is an interesting keyboard but it seems like a good chunk of the keyboard would be useless, though having more bindable keys for vidya wouldnt be bad.

I was gonna try to set up autohotkey to use the extra function keys as media keys for foobar but I am absolutely a noob at autohotkey.

I dont really see much of a point of media keys if they dont work through other programs.

You can use media keys through programs though I'm pretty sure.

The only time i tried it was on win 7 and it didnt work. I'll try it tomorrow.

I agree it's fucking huge and the media keys are dogshit but it's damn comfortable typing on. Was given mine as a christmas gift by the wife.

The Logitech G510 is my favorite keyboard I have ever owned. I will never be able to have another keyboard unless it has a volume scroller/mute button. That shit is so handy.

The macro buttons on the left seem a little over the top for my tastes, but I'll look into it. Good recommendation, thanks.

What keyboard? I have a blue switch one and I still prefer my Thinkpad.

Just built a board with box pale blues, clicky as a motherfucker and feels fucking fantastic

Red/Black/Green are the meme switches, Blue is only good for typing, Brown/Clear are great for both typing and vidya. Source: I've extensively used all of the above.

Got one of these albeit with dvorak layout. Well-built, compact mechanical keyboard. Spilled drink on it once, washed it, and still works perfectly.

What about the Corsair K70?

i have it right now its a pretty good keyboard

I used one with blue switches, easy to clean but I dislike the wrist rest. If the price is right, it's not a bad full-size keyboard.

You don't need a Dvorak layout on your keyboard to use Dvorak. If you ever look at your hands while typing, you're seriously fucking up.

I looked up the keyboard I use for shits and giggles on the logitech site.

What's so different about numlock that it doesn't last as long as the rest of the keys?

But it cost nothing and made it a lot easier to learn the layout initially. So why on earth wouldn't I get it with the layout I use?

I've been using the same keyboard for as long as i can remember.
I don't even know anything about it, but all i need to know is that me and this keyboard are unseperable.
It's been a true companion for the many years it's served me and I hope it'll stay by my side for far longer.

Is it strange to grow attached to such things?

As someone who uses Dvorak, I prefer having my keyboard with a QWERTY layout. I can touch type in dvork, but if I ever need QWERTY (Bios, vidya, VMS) then I have to look at the keys

I need to learn slav
where do I begin? Cyrillic Alphabet?

Awww yeah this shit right hea

Browns make noise, just not half as much as blues. I'd go so far as to call blues annoying as loud as they click.

Yeah my kb is like 10 years old by now. And it's not even mechanical.

Best keyboard hands down ever

First step, don't.
Try learning languages from actual white civilized countries.
t. holol

Red are gayman meme switches for children. There is absolutely no reason not to use browns instead.

Upgrade to the G710+ in the future. It's well worth it.

And yes, the G710+ comes with a volume scroll wheel and mute key.

Just upgraded from some cheap-ass Ducky with blues I've been using for a good 4-5 years to a K70 Rapidfire (the one with Cherry Speed switches). I'm liking it so far, pretty good build quality, nowhere near as noisy as the old keyboard and feels more a lot more responsive (almost too responsive, I keep accidentally hitting keys without even realizing since the amount of force required to actuate these switches is so tiny, but I'm sure I'll adjust over time). Probably would have gotten the Cherry Brown version if the local store had it in stock but alas it was a tossup between a G810 with Romer-G or the K70 with Cherry Speed, or even trying my luck online (which I prefer not to do with peripherals since they have a tendency to randomly fuck up for me for some reason).

Also that volume wheel is always welcome.

How durable is the scroll wheel on the Logitech keyboards? I'm worried that if it goes out or something, I won't just be losing control of volume in one direction like with a button, but in both directions.

The 710+ looks more like an acceptable price range than the 510. The 510 just has too much extra shit to be worth all that extra money, and I couldn't find any good info about switches on the 510.

Something weird I noticed about the number keys on a lot of these keyboards is that the digits are on top and their shift mode is on bottom. This is unlike every other key on the keyboard, and it's triggering my OCD.

i dont get the appeal of linear switches
it feels just like membrane keyboard with no tactile feedback

i personally prefer the happy medium of brown switches - not as loud as blue and has some tactile feedback

pic related

I don't understand the appeal of blues. With a shitty membrane keyboard, I know whether a key has been pressed or not because it bottoms out. With blue switches, I sometimes can't tell if the key pressed because of that distance between activation and bottoming out. My accuracy was far better with my old, shitty membrane keyboard.

And I'm also afraid to clean my keyboard out anymore because the last time I did, I had double/triple key presses on some keys for a couple months. I'll just learn to live with keyboard smegma.

Just bought a G213. It's pretty decent for the price.