Obsidian

Are Obsidian games post-NV worth playing? Also image requirement for creating a thread is retarded

Other urls found in this thread:

rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/chris-avellone-is-still-pretty-mad-about-obsidian.111813/
please
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No. The only good thing about Obsidian was their writers. Once they abandoned ship they became a shitty game devs with delusions of grandeur.

I only know that Avellone left and IIRC he wasn't one of the main writers of NV anyway. Did anyone else important leave?

Why wouldn't they be?

Few more left but I forgot their names. Essentially Obsidian is NuBioware Tier in terms of development. They really are pretty bad.

They made a very generic RPG with Pillars 1.
The expansion was a step in the right direction.
Hopefully the Pillars 2 is good.
Pirate to check.

What's with the Obsidian hate lately? Is it because of the whole backer poem shit in Pillars?

More a case of that nothing after NuVegas was good and they are highly overrated. They have been fucking up non stop lately.

Which is what confuses me. What fuck ups are you guys referring to exactly?

Tyranny is pretty good but short as fuck Pillars is pretty boring but the white march makes helps makes it not boring.

I'm afraid that pillars 2 won't nearly be as good as Original Sin 2.

For starters there's:
Pillars of Eternity
Skyforge
Armored Warfare
Tyranny
Just a few examples. Also it is notable that they tend to work best on sequels to games that they don't have to do any of the heavy work for i.e. how they did good work on KOTOR II and NuVegas but their other projects where they had to work from scratch are of questionable quality.

From what I heard, the games that they made were up to par but it getting to point where people here propping up Bethesda to shit on Obsidian.

This kind of faggotry reminds me of that NV vs FO4 thread with fags calling people storycucks for want more story in an RPG going as far putting FO4 above NV.

Still not as bad as the fags that put Fallout 3 above everything else.

I wouldn't call Pillars a fuck up, just a big disappointment. They released a game, that checked off all its goals its just the game wasn't very good. Just blandly average. Nothing like MN9 or anything.
Same with tyranny. Only tyranny was way more fun on account of all of the stupid bullshit you could do, the big problem with that game was how tiny and poorly paced it was.

I dunno. I enjoyed Pillars and Tyranny for what they were. Googling Skyforge+Obsidian results in them just being the middlemen that arranged a team in their area to develop the game for the ruskies. As for Armored Warfare, I didn't play it or World of Tanks but another google shows that it seemed to be just something they had to do to stay afloat. It was a commissioned clone of a game after all.

I think half legitimate concerns and half rubber banding effect. It's the same with CDPR. Holla Forums started hating them now. I wonder if the dev for Kingdom Come will be next.

I personally lost my good opinion of them when they hyped Pillars as this big amazing "we can finally unleash our full potential" project and it came out being exceedingly generic and boring, as well as them censoring and cropping the work of the best writer to the point where he got sick of it and left.
Then Tyranny came out and had a bunch of weird lines about men fucking each other and a companion immediately asking about the emperor's genitals and shit.
I went back to Pillars because I had bought it day 1 and decided I might as well get my money's worth. It is, honestly, even more boring than I had remembered, but people kept saying White March was good so I'm trying to stick with it and get there. I was about 30 hours in last I checked and really no one has been interesting and no plot has happened that made me care, just been clicking and staring at the screen with a blank face while listening to music.
Personally, even with the arctic pirate setting of the second game, I think they should just scrap the entire setting. Its much too milquetoast and generic, and the whole soul-magic shit is very poorly done, its just taking "mana" and replacing it with "soul".
>He turned into a zombie because we used a special surgery to remove his mana soul.
>these kids turn into feral creatures because they were born without magic sense souls.

Having actually played tyranny , I don't remember any kind of gay sex going on unless it was rape. And the only time Kyros's gender was ever brought up was when you specifically asked if Kyros had a dick or not.

I agree with everything else though, even if I did think the white march was pretty good. I guess I'm just a sucker for dwarves doing dwarvish things.

They are BioWare for hipsters now, hiring from the same tumblr cesspool that BioWare hires their writers from. All they can shit out is generic plots and purple prose.

What would you call it then? It's not a good BG2 knock-off, that's for sure, since it fails at being one in every aspect that matters, on top of featuring more trash mobs than even the BG games had, on top of story and writing that are as dull as their are stupid.

You give them too much credit. Tyranny is a cool concept with horrid execution. In fact, they fuck it up so badly the big bad is actually the best possible choice you can make for the world at large, on top of failing to portray a Bronze Age world properly. It's just a San Francisco "historical" theme park with an ugly art direction.

We started hating them when it became obvious they were cucks. And that was exactly at the moment they censored content because a tranny online threw a tantrum. These cowardly clowns are supposed to be the best cRPG developers in the industry, the ones that deliver deep, mature and morally ambiguous narratives?

And guess what, we were proven right. Both PoE and Tyranny were utterly forgettable trash, and the faggot imbecile in charge somehow managed to piss off his star writer so much he packed up and left, thus taking away the only reason anyone cared for Obsidian and their buggy games with shit gameplay.

A simple no.

New Vegas was a fluke.

It is partly the "I can't have shit taste if I hate everything." mentality. Most people in Holla Forums doesn't really care if you dislike a game because it might just be your taste. There some autists that exploit that mentality in order artificially shift the perceived consensus of Holla Forums for whatever reason. Mostly faggots from Holla Forums, Holla Forums, and Holla Forums. Toddposting is turning ironic shilling into meme which is no different from regular shilling at this point.

Even with NV they fucked up by not delivering more Legion content and then wasting time with DLC of dubious quality instead of giving people what they wanted.

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. I'm tired of that attitude on Holla Forums. Just be honest about what you like, and don't spout off about games you haven't played just so you can fit in.

Do you actually know what happened then? I barely gave a fuck about the drama but I knew that Obsidian backed whatever the backer wanted to do. The well meaning (but spineless) backer decided not to throw Obsidian under the bus with a PR nightmare so he changed it. The best part is he made fun of the triggered mobs to boot.

I don't know why Avellone left and neither does anyone outside the company (are there any articles out right now that can put a light on this?) so I think it's premature to assume he left in bad terms with them. He could very well be just sick of game development and would rather focus on other stuff. What's he into right now, board games?

The backer himself expressed that he had no wish to see the content removed but didn't want to make trouble for Obsidian. They are cowardly cocksuckers that have no faith in their product and will bend over to lick leftist shit. Fuck them.

He left because they refused to use any of the content he submitted for PoE, likely as an attempt to drive him out. Turns out what little ended up in PoE is the best writing that piece of shit game has. He's expressed anger and resentment at what they did in a few more recent interviews.

Go be a cocksucking fanboy someplace else.

Fuck, you actually just killed my excitement for it. From the titlescreen it was just a small village in the snow so I was hoping for some nearly-tribal and harsh small arctic setting like in Icewind Dale. Dwarves don't even fit into the setting to begin with, so seeing the expansion focus on them is kind of a bummer.
I know the sequel will be in an arctic pirate place but from the look of the artwork they put out I'm guessing it'll be more pirate than anything. Also, is it just me, or is them bringing back Eder and the elf a giant bummer for you too? The elf had some fun lines when he's being his second personality, but his base personality and Eder are two of the most boring companions in the first game. Give me Durance, Grieving Mother, Kana, the arctic dwarf, fuck, I'll even take the bird nigress even though she's also boring as dirt, but I think they brought her back too anyway.

Can you link those interviews, user? I wish to learn more.

rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/chris-avellone-is-still-pretty-mad-about-obsidian.111813/
Here, cocksucker.

Wow e12299 you shilling pretty hard for them… Are you from their forums? Then please story time those threads where those fuckers btfo their own fanbase because of" muh gamergate boogeymen" and legit critism of the game…

That doesn't stop people making stuff up and say stupid shit like he is the only reason that FO:NV was good (ignoring all other writers contributions).
I heard that he is writing for System Shock 3 or the System Shock remake. God, I hate Bioshock.

I'm not one to cry newfag for every little thing but come now.

You used to be able to create threads without images for years though

Avellone tweeted a few times about how he was tired of writing only to have it thrown into the trash, and we know that the characters he had made as companions were also almost all scrapped and the ones they let him write were re-edited after and toned down by a lot.
He's nor tired of game development since he's still going around as a freelance writer for games. It seems to be an Obsidian issue, sort of like they were locking him in his office and having him write to keep busy, then throwing it all in the trash every few weeks.

Woah……….. no way….

Who also left, coincidentally, around the same time Avellone did. We know what happened, and even a few years after his departure Avellone sounds angry and bitter at how things went down.

Do you think it's a fucking mystery for anyone with an IQ above room temperature why PoE and Tyranny are shit?

CDPR pulled some shady shit that they never owned up to. They used bullshots to advertise a game that obviously didn't live up to them. That road is a highly questionable one. There is also the fact that the release of Witcher 3 was pretty damn buggy, but my understanding is that was expected from the company given that their previous releases were similar. They also took government grants from the EU, despite being, I think, a AAA studio at this point.

On the other hand, they have the best facial and body language animations since Bloodlines. Playing from 2 to 3 in a relatively short period of time made it pretty clear that it was a case of some things improving and other things getting worse; one of the things that got worse was definitely the main story. The gameplay was nothing offensive that was 2 and a lot of the side stuff was pretty nice.

The shills doing that are more likely goons, other third parties, and shit posters. Goons can't stand people being happy if it doesn't support them somehow.

He was also doing stuff for D:OS2, though I think his input is fairly minimal.

Thanks, man.

I see. I really should get in with this twitter shit. Seems like a nice place to get vidya news straight out of devs mouths.

They're disliked because they sold out and consolized the fuck out of the Witcher series, and also lied about it while they downgraded the PC version of 3. 2 was extremely obviously designed for consoles from the start, to the point where anyone with half a brain could tell that it was going to be ported even though they pretended it wasn't the case. Also fucking awful game design choices like randomized attack animations that don't even share the same timings. How could that ever be a good idea in an action game?

Bottom line is, stop being one of those fucking retards that deflects everything with the excuse "they just hate everything". There are reasons why people don't like CDPR, and them being sellouts and liars are pretty good reasons. Why the fuck would you ever accept false marketing?

You can't just default to "BUT THEY JUST HATE EVERYTHING" every time someone criticizes something. Cut it out.

No they were contracted to properly develop games and they fucked up spectacularly.

Oh, and I believe Kingdom Come had a console version announced, and then they announced they were cutting or scaling back features because consoles couldn't handle it? Not sure, haven't been following the game too closely. If I'm right, then that's reason right fucking there why people would "suddenly" dislike them "for no reason".

You'd think people would have learned by now to dislike every developer by default.

I get the feeling that the returning characters are just the devs favorite characters.
Actually the more time passes the less hype I am about pillars 2. There isn't enough shown about the game that wows me. Especially after playing OS 2.

I forgot about the random attack animations. That was infuriating. Witcher 2 was really the worst for that because you could tell they were trying to do something like the simple Souls combat without understanding that it means scaling way back on the animations. And they didn't learn in 3, because iirc, that game still had them.

They even had the audacity to put in an arena mode, I guess because they thought people would actually enjoy that shit show of a combat system?

This interview says otherwise:
please use archive.is/articles/2013-06-28-how-obsidian-is-helping-with-russian-mmo-skyforge

They ran out of funds and couldn't implement forging and the dog companion. No need to lie about this.

Are you mentally challenged or something? What exactly were you hyped for? More dull combat, infuriating gameplay mechanics and atrocious purple prose?

Well they flat out apologized and said they would learn from the last game's mistakes. And as said earlier the white march was really fun so I figured hey this could be even better.

It's okay to have shit taste, user.

I've found absolutely nothing about the game being scaled back for consoles. Just delayed on PC so it can launch on all platforms simultaneously.

Well, I'm waiting. Although can honestly say that they did develop AW and Skyforge for a bit before handing it off to Retard Ruskies

I'm sorry. I thought you'd just google it. It's the second thing that pops up on my end.

Yeah that checks out with what the plan was with Skyforge, develop the groundwork and hand it off to Russians. Armored Fuckup though was definitely a steaming turd of their own doing. Some glorious bugs were added to that game.

It would be nice if they actually got brought up. Also, it is mostly Bethesda fault.

It is more a response to the astrotrufing projection that Bethesdrones do whenever Bethesda's title is compared to a different title to degrade it.

When I said "I can't have shit taste if I hate everything." mentality, I mean that not everything is equally shit so I mostly focus on the really shit ones. It is the same with "It is overrated." mentality. I only care if it is also irredeemably shit like Skyrim. I do this because I want my hatred to be special because I really fucking hate Skyrim.

Pillars was a huge disappointment for me, outside of the insignificant amount of SJW drama which I don't care about. The game was just not that interesting, the setting was kind of cool but there was nothing else pulling me in and the combat was actively pushing me away, it was garbage.

Bethesda had nothing to do with it. Management at Obsidian (specifically, Sawyer) has always been shit and dropping the ball in terms of gameplay and QA. This must have made the narcissistic, filthy faggot extremely butthurt, so he decided to make everyone at Obsidian equally shit at their job, meaning all the talent they had had to go.

You have to be fucking delusional to not see the problems with CDPR.

Reminder Avellone is working on a Pathfinder game and it will be shit. He doesn't have the golden touch you think he does.

Pretty much my feelings on it too. Nothing pulls you in, nothing is actually interesting or attention grabbing.
Take the Duke assault scenario. This was supposed to be a big side event in the first chapter and even change some stuff in the second. I went to town, some random guy I had seen only mentioned only once before stopped me and told me to kill the duke. I said "sure thing fam", walked over, murdered absolutely everyone in the entire castle, and then got to the duke. He said "he's my cousin, he just wants the throne and is using you", I've been playing the game for who knows how long at this point and both these characters just showed up for like 2 minutes worth of screen time each, why would I give a fuck?
Was I supposed to be horrified by the guy killing his wife and making zombies? Yeah those things aren't cool but again, I have no invested interest int he town or any of the characters at all, I literally came over on a wagon yesterday and then fucked off. The entire start of the game is that you're a foreigner and this country sucks dick, so why would you care? Even as an in-game character the only objective I can see is to say fuck it and try to leave the Dyrwood as soon as possible because its shitty and there's fucking forest trolls 5 feet away from every road.

Of course Pathfinder will be shit. The source material is even more pozzed than Numenera.

He's been getting a lot of shit contracts. System Shock, Dragonspear, Pathfinder. He's also added mostly as a ribbon to put on the packaging than as a main writer most of the time. Man's gotta eat I guess.

Hello Holla Forums, I don't know if we read the same thing but he pretty much said they won't focus on politics or try to make any sort of stance.

He isn't "getting" them, he is actively seeking them out.
He is a hack and the sooner you realize it, the easier it'll be for you.

How far left do you have to be to be pretend that isn't political?

yeah right. retard. You're fooling no one.

They literally just said they have a female barbarian who was being oppressed by the evil men of her tribe to be a housewife, women can get just as strong as men, and they're going to stick sodomites in their games.
If someone is a sodomite, no one needs to know, so adding one is already calling attention to it in a social signaling manner. Do you know how many of the kids in IT grew up to be dick sucking faggots or drag queens? Do you know whether Yoda prefers ass to mouth or missionary? No, because it doesn't fucking matter. Adding them at all is a political statement.

Come on now.

It's fantasy, chill the fuck out.

Dude it's not real, who cares if it's propaganda?

No one wants faggots in games except faggots and fujoshits, and for the life of me I have no idea why you would pander to either of those groups.

Then why use it to virtue signal in real life?
Where the fuck do you think you are?

MYFAROG sucks though, its literally always virtuous pagans being subverted by jews/christians-who-are-just-jews-but-not.
Varg is a living meme of a man who does nothing but spout blood and soil sophistry while having left his blood and his soil in scandinavia to live in the french woods and live off their welfare. Dude hasn't done a day of hard labor to provide for his own in this entire life, but he feels qualified to screech about things he's never done or actually cared about to a camera.

It's an RPG that no casuals are going to play, how is it propaganda? Who is this propaganda aimed at? Can you not enjoy fantasy settings if they don't align with your political views?

As with every virtue signaling game out there, to said casual leftists that aren't going to play the game.

Okay.

You're retarded, just that.

Ugh, I know. Why can't we all be centrists that give everyone free speech that they won't exercise, so a minority can pretend disease-ridden pedophiles are our equals? After all, it's fantasy.

You can claim it is propaganda if the game does not let you do whatever you want. Remember Watch Dogs and how it was played by anons?

I can't enjoy badly written glorified propaganda. If you can, more power to you.

Where does it say that roleplaying games need to have a [CURRENT YEAR] political slant?

What?

What RPGs are you playing that don't have politics in them?

not falling for it schlomo.

having politics in the game's setting and having virtue signalling aren't the same thing.
Keep shifting that goal posts though. I wanna see how far you can take them.

Grow up kid.

welcome to imageboards

It's propaganda based on the character of the writing, however it turns out. And it seems like, at best, it will end up with "great" representation of LGBTQ people akin to New Vegas, where one of the companions was a selfish dyke who you could not criticise as a person because no reasonable person (per Obsidians definition) would decide that in a situation where her people were dying out, there were more important things than her girlfriend.

Remember how the sequel was pozzed like a pride parade?

The first game was too, but that didn't stop people from abusing the freedom the game gives you to piss off SJWs by hunting down degenerates in the game. A good RPG can have politics to a degree and it will let you express your views in the fictional world to shape it as you see fit.

But maybe I am arguing with idiots or leftypol kikes, so I'll stop.

give airplane dlc

This. Frankly it's not the SJW cringe that made that game boring as fuck.
I would say that on the contrary even that was very bland, past the initial "ok that might be fun", even the delivery of the lore was fucking awful.

Reminder that Josh Sawyer (goon username ropekid) put SA memes in NV (Zybourne Clock) and has a grudge against people able to smile naturally.

ITS NOT TRUE

Here's your (You)

Games will have politics, sure, but its almost never modern or having modern sensibilities shoved into it. When you see something like the struggle between the king's adviser and the evil wizard Xeen in Might and Magic 4, no one is trying to talk about gay rights or whether they should let immigrants in, its a simple struggle for power using sharp metal and maybe magic. You never get told that Xeen really liked cock or that the king regularly beds 5 trans midgets at a time.

I was more referring to the concept, rather than the execution of the setting.

Yes, good RPGs could come from a liberal background. But where they start from is going to impact how much ideological freedom they allow and what impact those actions have.

Do you really believe homossexuals and other degeneracies are a spawn of the 20th century?

humans have always been born with defects, we've just stopped chucking those ones off cliffs for some reason.

Do you intentionally misinterpret what people type or are you retarded?

Their acceptance certainly is

What it really comes down to is giving people what they really want. Would there be a problem with a strong female barbarian in a fantasy game? Depends on how it's handled. If she's an attractive, fit girl with a bit of a crass attitude there to please the male audience, and isn't sprouting feminist bullshit, it's pretty much okay.

On the other hand, we have a problem when you're making content for your game that you clearly know will enrage your costumers and then you have to shame them into silence by using leftist power words.

Tolerance of them is.

Their elevation to a place of virtue is.

Of course not, but that's not what I'm saying. Their acceptance and input into entertainment media is a very recent phenomena and is only there to "add a voice" and social signal about how inclusive you are. Whether a character can suck the smegma from your soul has no baring on a game or its mechanics.

I am sure there have been gay people since the BC era, but it wasn't until recently that we started treating them like paragons of existence and calling them brave. Back in the day being brave meant something other than putting a fat dick in your ass. Great stories and poems are not written about people making out with men or coming to terms with their mental diseases.

Leftists do the exact opposite of that.

Fixed, and no.

Are you faggots trying to make Holla Forums look bad or something?

Holla Forums doesn't need help looking bad. Most Holla Forumsacks are reddit transplants who are neo-neocons and newer than Holla Forums.

Holla Forums hasn't looked good since just before the LARPagans moved in. It was all downhill from there then compounded when the kekucks moved into the vacuum left by the leaving LARPagans

The constant religious D&C really drove down the quality. If anyone so much as said "thank God" in their post the thread would be nothing but "CHRISTCUCK" and "KIKE ON A STICK" after that, making every 1 in 3 threads completely unusable from the endless autistic screeching

Heh. So long as they keep securing a future for my trash cans by doxing antifa and similiar activities, I don't complain. Just don't jump into the sperg-pens and you'll be alright.

Genetics wise, I'd say the brotherhood is screwed either way. There's no way that small number of families can last that long without eventually resorting to inbreeding. Which would result in defects and diseases, which I'd imagine would be amplified by radiation. Or were you suggesting Veronica became the brotherhood human toilet?

Post yfw you never fell for the obsidian

Bethesda was in charge QA and was trying to bleed Obsidian dry.

I don't have an image that conveys apathy so have the next best thing.

Fuck off back to codex and take that mary sue shit with you.

No, what fucked Holla Forums was HURR LE GOD EMPOROR TRUMP XDDD and all the baggage that came with that, plus letting r/the_donald faggots in.

MUH WRITING
MUH STORY
M-MUH LEEEEJON!!!!!!
Storycucks should be gassed