Best handheld

Not counting the usual suspects of PSP/3DS/Vita, what's the best alternative to emulation? Which is the best handheld to have for emulation or native games?

Mainly something with a good degree of power than a low end phone.

Other urls found in this thread:

motorola.com/us/products/moto-mods/moto-gamepad-console
reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/6ifjtq/any_sources_for_a_replacement_battery/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

pandora looks to be the best of what you posted

If only the pyra wasn't complete piece of shit.

android has absurd overhead for inputs of any kind, bluetooth especially is inconsistent.

It's pretty much useless for anything but turnbased rpgs.

Go order a raspiboy.

They look horrible, and lack the inputs for anything higher than 5th gen. the ones in the original case though I'd want for aesthetic.

an android device offers most emulation capabilities for portable devices not counting windows running handhelds.

What do you mean by overhead?

Better than the rest of that criminally overpriced trash you've posted.
Wait, wait, do you actually think mobile devices can properly emulate mainline consoles beyond gen4? You're going to get good NES/SNES/Genesis/GB/GBC/GBA/PSP/DS, that's it. Even the PS1 emulation is shit compared to what you can get on PC, N64/Saturn aren't happening, and you sure as shit aren't getting proper PS2 emulation.

Oh look the Pyra came out. Took them long enough.

Reicast works quite fine on Android user, and last I checked, a Pi 3 struggles with DS and PSP. If that's changed since then, would consider.

It's been on 'PREORDER NOW' for a eternity user. It's never coming out.

If by "fine" you mean is still an inaccurate epsxe-tier fuckfest and somehow worse than DEmul which is a dead, abandoned project, sure.

They have working models, but they still need to fix the 4GiB issue.

Get an android phone and stick a controller on it, then install retroarch.
If you need more battery life get a battery pack.
Those devices are basically useless unless you want a palmtop because nobody makes palmtops anymore.
I personally have a galaxy s2 with a 7100mAh battery and a battery-powered charger. One time I emulated genesis games for 5 hours in a bus while torrenting anime and my battery went down to 50%, and I wasn't even using the battery powered charger.

Nu-male get out.

>shills (((smart)))phones

Not since Android 6.0. Educate yourself.

EL OH EL

High end phone

Of course problem here is not touchscreen. Problem is that gaming phones are niche product and does't get much love. It doesn't mean it doesn't get any love.
Currently Moto released modular phone with one of planned addons being gamepad.
motorola.com/us/products/moto-mods/moto-gamepad-console
Just wait for it. All other gamepads suck. If this one will end up as shit simply wait longer for another phone with properly made gamepad.

noice

wait, I thought that Pandora was the piece of shit and Pyra was still in the works?

What did he mean by this?

Any cheap machine like that that flawlessly runs Windows XP at least?

He's talking about a power bank.

You got it right. Although I never heard bad things about the Pandora, only the clusterfuck that was the kickstarter.

If you want to play indie stuff and old games, the GPD Win is great. If you just want to emulate games up to the Dreamcast/PSP then the GPD XD will suffice.

Te cheapest option could be an old hacked 3DS/PSP or a used Xperia Play

The nuking of San Francisco can't come soon enough

The GPD WIN runs (((Windows 10))) but supossedly also runs Xubuntu/Lubuntu with some issues.

Please be a little less of a dumbfuck next time.

One of these bad boys straight out of the heartland of china, where the real free market is at.
Last for a solid two days of continuous use.

Very nice, enjoy your "portable" emubox you brainless cuck.

It's ok if you want to suck dick I guess, but don't act smug about it.
Also nice dubs

Straight up everything in the (((tech industry))). Give me a raspiboy with all components produced by natsocs at a similar price point and I'll buy it. Until then, fuck off.

""""""educate yourself"""""""

Just get yourself a decent laptop.

Educate yourself

I thought JXD S7800B was still king. S192K is double the price and way too bulky for my tastes. Besides, I think S7800B can emulate up to PS1 games just fine. I don't need more than that on the go.

would be easier to just build your own, get a good sbc i dont know why everyone keeps recommending raspberry pis a panel, a controller, hot glue and a case.
most of the handheld options don't really have good controllers

You illiterate fuck

Everyone recommends Pi because it is most popular one. Making any retro console out of it is just installing already made hardware.

Yes, educate yourself.

Post some tests or better yet, webms to counteract. You just sound like a shill.

You can't put a laptop in your pocket. Have a ASUS one with linux anyway.

So far, 'reviews' online have been panning it for being cheap despite the price. It's hilarious.

I've considered, but how simple is it to put shit together, and is it at a good enough price to justify than simply buying something else? I'd consider a 2nd hand Pi 3 since least could manage some form of N64 and shit.

Okay.

I have horrible input lag on the RetroPi.

I don't know why.

Wee

My favorite one is the GPD XD. Amazing battery life, can emulate everything up to the 32 bit era, but can also work with some N64, Dreamcast and PSP games, has a shitload of buttons, has HDMI out to turn it into a makeshift console in a travelling trip, can easily make the gamepad work with android touch games if that's your thing, is highly portable (can fit in most pockets) and it's fucking cheap.

I honestly love mine and I stopped using anything else for emulation after I got mine.

reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/6ifjtq/any_sources_for_a_replacement_battery/

The Switch would have been better if they rolled their own distro instead of using android.
Security would have been trivial to implement, and games could be run in jails.

There's no excuse for a manufacturer to be producing shit like the GPDwin.

The GPD Win runs Windows, you autistic sperg.

There's no excuse for a manufacturer to be producing shit like the GPDwin.

Linux is for queers.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

but muh 6.0

Will any of those handheld laptops handle Windows XP and do mouse controlled games even work well on them? The PSP/3DS combo is still pretty good but portable PC games could be nice to have in the post collapse world.

GPD Win or GPD Pocket should easily do that.
I will shill lowspecgamer because I realized there is still no footage of someone playing on one in the thread.

GPD Win would probably be the best all-around choice.

Pandora is close if you're committed to free software.

I've heard the Pyra is mediocre and way too expensive.

Nvidia Shield is okay but probably not as good as you'd hope.

JXD has made good gaming tablets in the past, but the one in OP's pic is most-definitely not one of them, look at how hideous it is.

I got the GPD Win. It runs 2hus, Falcomstuff and PSO2. The usual suspects in retroarch and PPSSPP (without enhancements) work just fine, as well. That's a ten.