Autistic Game Analysis

I have a confession to make. I fucking love listening to long 30+ minute analysis over video games and I'm scratching the bottom of the barrel to listen while I work. Do you faggots have any suggestions?
Quick list of the common faggots
>MisterCaption RIP

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCQYHTF4v3Yo-Cj1MRFShb7Q/videos
youtube.com/user/broadcaststsatic/videos
youtube.com/user/McBacon1337
youtube.com/watch?v=LP7VjbuNEzg
youtube.com/watch?v=ItH-mV32KQY
youtube.com/watch?v=z7xMIRzIDpU
youtube.com/watch?v=YahAati0d2c&t=
twitch.tv/majinobama/videos/all
youtube.com/watch?v=YahAati0d2c
youtube.com/watch?v=aPu_T-e0sKQ&index=181&list=PLA_ZFCIpDAd9J6glffbG7im72nxJkbkza
youtube.com/watch?v=Psomzn-T8SI&feature=youtu.be&t=168
youtube.com/watch?v=5fh1tPVG-j0&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=kuSXOQLLhOQ&t
youtube.com/watch?v=UN1GJLBM8Wc
altright.com/2017/08/09/unconscious-cinema-the-terminator/
youtube.com/watch?v=47ITwTJXpOc&list=PL9H-oYsI40xb7gcRVeZ9cTWamY7kWDPV9
dkvine.com/kongversation/
youtu.be/_Gui9h5inLA
youtube.com/user/SolePorpoise/videos
gomakemeasandwich.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/in-his-words-why-jim-sterling-is-in-fact-very-sexist/
youtube.com/watch?v=RV2fM2UtfTU
youtube.com/channel/UCwRqWnW5ZkVaP_lZF7caZ-g
critpoints.wordpress.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=jPqwDGXxLhU
archive.fo/kx2uL
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Now that's an entire different category of autism and not what I am specifically looking for.

recently stumbled on a guy called Tehsnakerer, most of his videos are 30+ minutes, some get close to 2 hours

hol up what happened to MisterCaption?

What?

Last I heard he started having doubts about making videos after he got something wrong in his Nier video and got really upset about it.

Makes sense that given all you do is shitpost about videogames and desperately try to one-up other attention desperate autists at videogame analysis, you'd obviously want to look up resources to steal things to say from so you don't have to think and come up with your own analysis, risking saying something stupid in the process.
Holla Forums doesn't foster playing videogames, Holla Forums promotes online videogame cancer commentary.

wew

M8 he has 2 videos after that. Also hes prone to autistic ragefits as you can see in his videos.

Holy shit nigger these people are extremely beneficial because they actually make real reviews, have a sense of game design/quality and are willing to go and shit on narratives like shitrim being good. And their taste is mostly or completely independent from their analysis. You are the ImKampfy of Holla Forums, "muh analysis" "muh books". Fucking keep your filthy mouth shut.

Says the dumb fuck who can't go one second without misinterpreting what he reads and making dumb allegations that nobody claimed.

Arguments are fine. They're the whole fucking point of this board, afterall. What's stupid is when all the arguments here are regurgitated from some of these eceleb videos. I've seen many posts here that take things directly from that guy MatthewMatosis' channel.

My favorite analysis channels all seem to have 1-2 videos.

Meanwhile Jim Sterling and Extra Creditz churn out mud.

Nigga hearing someone else's opinion doesn't mean you take it as your own, we aren't mindless sheep and fuck off with your strawman when you're the one who started with it.

It does when that's exactly what you do with it.
That's exactly what you are. That's exactly what you see on the board when the same opinion gets posted over and over, and then you find out where it came from when you get to the source.
Fallacy's gonna stand and it's not gonna go because it makes you mad.

What your fucking point? How is it bad to use an argument if its valid, no matter the source, be it yourself or someone else. There is a thing is essays called sourcing. You build and argument around something. Have you refuted those arguments? Because then you would have a point. I don't even know MatthewMatosis"but have you considered that people simply arrive at the same conclusion? You know, because its true.

Here's your (You).

From what I saw of taking a quick look at his twatter a month ago he gave up and wanted to work on his game.

SJW shit aside I think the part I hate most about EC is the fact they literally only exist for armchair devs. Faggots who do shit like, go to college for gamedev, but never actually sit down and think about how to make a game. The ones you can't even call ideaguys because their idea is literally just copying something else. The dipshits who just sit around and bullshit about "game theory", with game theory being like "This game is technically an Action RPG because"

What's the difference?

Because then I'd just rather watch the channel myself instead. When you take somebody else's argument, you can't back it up as well as the person who originally said it, so it's even less than the original source. And why the fuck would I browse the board when all there is is redundant content from youtube channels?
My point is nobody here cares about learning or thinking. All anybody cares about is one upping other autists at petty shit flinging contests about videogames. To that end, it's much easier to take the weapons from somewhere else instead of forging your own.

Ones a genuine retard and the other thinks he isn't.

Source me.

I think you don't understand. He was basically crying in his follow up video reading comments and correcting stuff from the Nier video, it seemed like he got extremely invested in it and thought it would be one of his best and also the best Nier video on youtube or something, but then it turned out he had misunderstood some of the story stuff. He had some videos where he talked about all that, but deleted them since, including a New Vegas video.

Have fun I guess.

Hyperbithero
Thegamingbrit
Cybershell

Leave then faggot. You are clearly too intelligent for this place.
In both cases you get shot.

Autism is a double edge.

I'm thinking about making a channel in the vein of the ones mentioned in the thread. I've got a bunch to say about a bunch of things and I think I could make it entertaining.

Content would be "video essays" from 10 minutes beyond discussing various topics related to games. Making a point, recommending an underexposed game, or something else entertaining. I would probably make some videos analyzing or discussing music and movies sometimes too.

Any suggestions or ideas on the specifics? Should music play behind my voice? Should I be vulgar or clean? Should there be "jokes" and mood-lightening cutaways or not? What about political points? Should I even touch on that area, or just leave it alone?

What I'm trying to say is, do your prefer casual and laid-back like AVGN [or Demolition D, but that's not vidya] or should I be professional and high-strung like Matthewmatosis?

Fuck off back to reddit.

TweedVsWorld

Start-Edgy Productions
youtube.com/channel/UCQYHTF4v3Yo-Cj1MRFShb7Q/videos

Noah Caldwell-Gervais
youtube.com/user/broadcaststsatic/videos

Did you actually read a word OP said?

I don't how he doesn't understand how the quick save system in LoZ:MM works.

Channeling all that autism to explain for the billionth time Bethesdrones just have shittaste can be exhausting.

BTW: Is there any truth that RazorFag rumor about Witcher plagiarism BS or is just talking out of his ass as usual?

MandaloreGaming
Super Bunnyhop

I'd recommend SsethTzeentach too but his vids are usually short.

By the end of the NV "video" he sounded like he was basically done. I wish he still kept them up but he probably felt ashamed or some shit like that.

Just like do whatever you fucking want man. Experiment and see what works for you. It's better than some faggots from an imageboard with no experience on it to give you advice. Although if I were you I would keep the music and politics out.

Thanks for the laugh. Come back any time.

Not what I was asking for fam but thanks anyway.

Expecting razorfag even not talk out of his ass.

Also Ahoy, but hes more storytime than analysis, but he has long and professionals videos. If you are also a /k/fag you should check him.

I like this guy's vids.

idklol

Light music or music relevant to the game if anything, but you don't really need it. Especially if you include snippets of gameplay anyways.

You don't need to be squeaky clean, but nor do should you be excessively vulgar either. Just speak how you normally would.

Like GayTheory? No. Throw that stuff in if it's fitting or appropriate. There's no science to jokes. It's either funny or it's not and if it isn't you should be able to tell before you put it in.

No.

Avoid it like the plague. It will only cut off a segment of your potential audience at no real gain.

Just be yourself nigger. There's no secret personality matrix for success. Just as in real life people will like you or they won't. The only factor that can increase results that you can work on is your confidence. So the best version of yourself, really.

This. Except I'm the obvious exception. Obviously.

The only thing worse than forcing jokes is forcing vulgarity.

Jokes are good in moderation, and vulgarity shouldn't exist outside where it specifically fits or if it's part of your personality to be very vulgar. Whatever you choose try to keep it consistent, if your dialogue and attitude is very clean then it will stand out a lot if you suddenly start swearing.

I wouldn't say avoid politics completely, you shouldn't actually talk much about the standings of different faction, just mention them so we know what you are talking about and then proceed on talking about the interactions between the factions. For instance you can say House wants to build and take control of the Strip and the surrounding area and focus how he would go about doing it.
Real life politics? No.

the guy is only interested in vidya guns, he's actually against owning guns irl.

It been meme'd around a lot and for some reason RazorFist doesn't have the faggot reputation that he is supposed to have.

He triggered weebs with his nier vid and took their ragefits too seriously

I prefer more professional voices. It's not that I think comedy is bad, but when the foundation of your content is in your comedy, it makes for a really shitty viewing experience when the viewer doesn't find you funny.

That said, that's just my personal preference and there are plenty of popular youtubers that don't adhere to it.

As for your specifics, I'd say its up to you. Find what works for you and run with it. Generally, I'd say to stay away from politics, it doesn't matter what you think, you'll alienate a big chunk of your audience. Even if you're a moderate, odds are there will be a big chunk of your audience that hates you for it. But If you insist on going into politics, I'd say be upfront about it from the start. Give the people that will hate you a chance to drop you early, not after they've already become invested in you. If you absolutely have to comment on some current political issue, be subtle and try to have some tact. Don't alienate people, nigger.

Well thats not relevant now is it? I didn't even know.

Because he is ebin anti-sjw el skeptic. But in fact the is a supreme retard. I've watched 3 of his videos. One about TES, one about NV and one on facism. In all those cases he is a fucking retard. Especially the NV one, that one was critical stupid.

Mrbtounge was okay until his gamergate videos.

This guy is pretty insightful:

youtube.com/user/McBacon1337

Especially like the videos on Doom and Hitman.

Would anyone watch a sissy do reviews of weeb games? That go on for an hour. I want to try it out. So would you watch me?

Only if you have the vernacular for it.

Where is the half a press video

There was someone called Redpill Reviews or something who used to do long videos about 4-5 years ago, but he fucked off because barely anyone watched them.

I recommend livestreaming your own suicide instead. I in fact recommend that for anyone who calls Japanese things "weeb."

That doesn't work at all, anyone can pick up on these things. It makes him look like a psuedo-intellectual twat who's too afraid to state his opinions straight up like SJWs and their passive-aggressive bullshit. One single anti-Trump off-hand comment and I lose all respect for the fag saying it (a.k.a. Joseph Anderson.) Better to either openly state your opinion or keep your mouth shut.

i'd really like to find more stuff like matthewmattosis' multi-hour commentary videos, they make really nice background noise for falling asleep

(((gdc))) postmortems are good for that purpose

youtube.com/watch?v=LP7VjbuNEzg
youtube.com/watch?v=ItH-mV32KQY

really depends on whether you're an unbearable faggot or not

Maybe subtle isn't the right word, but there are definitely right and wrong ways to go about discussing politics. I think the big problem when discussing politics on both sides is that it devolves into namecalling. People seem to define themselves by their political opponents nowadays, which leads to commentators screaming "SJW!" or "NAZI!" without really expressing their views in a constructive way. When I say it's best to be subtle, what I mean is that it's stupid to insult people. Inserting a comment like "Trump is a nazi and anyone who agrees with him is a redneck idiot" or "Hillary's supporters are all delusional, virtue-signalling SJWs" is stupid because it brings in a needlessly combative element to the politcal discussion.

When you talk like that you close the conversation, and will drive off most of the people you might have had a chance to convert. By dispensing ideas and facts and political opinions more gradually and with greater tact you have a much better chance of actually changing a person's mind. It's easy to dismiss somebody's opinion when they insult you or something you believe in, but its much harder when they gently lead you down the pathway of their beliefs without you even knowing.

So I think it's not so much about being pro-trump or Hillary or whoever as it is about being pro-yourself and showing your audience that your moral compass is well thought out and reasoned.

I have never successfully redpilled somebody by insulting them. All of my successes have come from being their friend and sharing my experiences with them in a way that doesn't seem at all related to politics. Maybe there are different methods that work for other people, but I don't believe in them.

Mrbtongue is good. He never uploads anymore, though. But he now does occasional articles for Shamus Young's site. Yes, I know Mrbtongue's anti-GG, but GG is dead, so who cares.
Sage for not vidya.

It's not, though.

I like to listen to Raycevick for the "behind the scense" type take on game development and his "what went wrong" type of attitude towards games.

I'm glad I'm not the only one; I fucking love to put these things on in the background while I do other things. Recommending Turbo Button for these; he's great at focusing videos on certain themes.

I want to get into these myself and I've written some scripts for them. I'm nervous as fuck about making the video itself, though. Windows Movie Maker plus some recorded footage from OBS?

It won to the point where there's not much more damage it could do, while at the same time a much bigger beast was exposed in the shape of the media as a whole. All that can really be done now as a win is correcting the past version of events - which you'd considered impossible before, but I say you should focus on. GG keeps being namedropped, and there's enough momentum against the MSM if you choose to use it.

Polite sage for off-topic.

Are there any channels that do vidya tech and behind the scenes explainations(For example the technicalities behind some gameplay mechanics or bugs) videos?

Unfortunately GG did not win, at least as far as video games are concerned. The Western game industry is overwhelmingly pro-SJW.

test

Bunnyhop shits on the corporate culture but supports the culture of corrupt reviewers and sjws.

This can't be ignored because it's part of his reviews/videos.

WelfareWalrus has some good shit, just wish the videos were longer or more frequent. His longest is like 10 minutes and most of his are only a few.
JuiceboxFGC has a few off-the-cuff lengthy videos about fighting games and he has a read of the entirety of David Sirlin's 'playing to win' on his channel.
People associated with "gather your party" have some videos, but they are not on the offical channel so can be hard to track down.

this is probably my favorite video on Juicebox's channel, but his readings are about a hour in length total so you should check that out; even if you aren't into fightans.

No

You mean the guy who doesn't even play the games he is critiquing and steals other youtubers game footage without giving them credit at all? If you notice anytime he shows multiplayer footage, its always a different username in the kill feed and you can look up those usernames and find the exact same footage he used on someones youtube channel. Most likely all of the footage he shows is not his and hasn't even played more than 20 minutes, if even at all, of the games he's "critiquing".

Be sure to check out HyperBitHero OP.

Only if you wear a skirt.

His ego is over-inflated (especially for a fucking jar head). I give him less than a year before he Spoony's out.

pannenkoek2012, for starters
then it's more about which game you're actually interested in, I remember this one guy who disses on "modern" Total War games and he was pretty indepth about it

I have a similar request.
Do you guys know of any good channels that go into detail of explaining game mechanics and how they work? I'm looking for people like pannen, but he only explains sm64 mechanics and he doesn't do it that often.

youtube.com/watch?v=z7xMIRzIDpU
videos like these but about specific games and mechanics.

Mark Brown maybe?

I second the suggestion of Mark Brown, only downside to that channel is he's a Nintendo fanboy so his scope is a little limited.

Mark Brown doesn't really explain mechanics as much as he explains video game concepts and design. His videos are good, but not quite what that guy was looking for.

That's actually something there would be a lot of shit to talk about. I mean even without being a gamedev guy you could analyze specific game mechanics, how they work, and what subtle differences they have between different games.

It's probably hard to do pannen-like stuff though because it's usually difficult to tell how the game mechanics work on the inside without being a hyper autist who can recite every byte of the game program from memory.

After watching Nerdslayer's video about City of Heroes I really felt like I missed out big time not playing it. It sounds like the perfect MMO.
Its not letting me embeded it for some reason so here is the link.

if you're into fightan, majinobama's stream is worth checking out. recently he's been restreaming/ translating lots of old sbo tournaments and he provides a lot of interesting context on the japanese scene.

twitch.tv/majinobama/videos/all

Gotta grab the share link.

I love this kind of shit, thanks for sharing

So you like crying puppies?

GG made people aware. It's impossible to say how much it contributed to such ridiculous SJW flops like Mass Effect, but I think it would be crazy to say it didn't contribute at least a bit. It also seemed to be a major trigger that caused SJWs to react over-defensively, overstep their bounds, and make people elect Donald Trump just to spite them.

Raycevick

I make the occasional shitty video. Most of my videos are around 30 minutes, with my SaGa Frontier video being a bit over an hour long. Hoping to get some more stuff out soon.

I've been wanting to do something like that, but since I'm fucking retarded and everyone else can talk about anything else, I'd talk about the only thing I'm qualified to, my experience with a game. How often do you get perspectives from an insane autist? Aside from whenever Jesse Wood makes a video about video games. If you want long "analysis", watch his almost 2 hour My Little Pony video Horseshoe Finale.

Not bad. I like the Rising Zan video.

All reviewers of this type, except Mathewmatosis and pannenkoek,make me feel silly for listening to someone talk so seriously about video games. I don't know why. I like that Mathewmatosis' videos have simple titles like "x or y review", something that other reviewers in this vein don't do. It's a minor nitpick, I know, and something that even Mathewmatosis seems to be moving away from, but they way other youtubers title their videos makes me feel like I'm being clickbaited if I choose to watch one of their videos.

Just wanted to bump this thread to say DigitalFoundrys videos are sort-of up the same alley but they mainly cover superficial technical aspects of the games technology as well as framerates, sometimes they go in depth with console and PC hardware as well
Also there's The Cutting Room Floor Wiki which I highly recommend, you can get lost for hours on there

MandaloreGaming
Accursed Farms
Lazy Game Reviews

Joseph Anderson and others don't respect your time and repeat themselves too much

I just remembered, if you want somebody talking about video games from an engineering perspective, which is oddly rare for a medium where a lot of creators are engineers, I'd recommend LambHoot. Some guy on Holla Forums shilled him to me and his perspective is pretty interesting, I'd recommend watching him. In particular, his videos on reviews and rating scales, Splatoon, MGSV, Resident Evil 5 (and the sort-of follow up Medabots AX), and Five Nights at Freddy's are all very interesting. For some reason lots of people like his Spongebob game reviews which is odd because they're just straight up worse than his usual content, thank god he's never doing those ever again.

Ok I will check out your channel.

Protip: if you wanna grow, make shorter videos for a while, and then go back to your 1h-long videos.

you have to copy your link up the "&" sign, so it should look like
youtube.com/watch?v=YahAati0d2c
instead of

Sounds good. Thanks user.

Yes, DigitalFoundry is great. Any old schmuck can compare frame rates, but the technical detail really amazes me.

I wish everything were as lucid and to the point as the Thief video posted.

He could be better— he's trying too hard to use big-brain verbiage when he doesn't need it at all, but he makes some very resonant points about game design and the industry at large. Especially the bit about the games of the late '90s being "the tip of the iceburg" and the industry then fizzling out into the state it's in now. The video editing complements his points nicely, and he gets a couple sly jabs in there as well.

By contrast, get a load of dumbfuck related. So much production with so little to say. Oh, but he has an obnoxious radio guy voice, so you're supposed to think he's interesting and not just repeating things anybody who actually watched the movies already knows, with a layer of bullshit interpretation as the icing.

I wouldn't mind it, but pragmatically speaking if you're on Holla Forums then anything you have to say about politics will probably get you disappeared from youtube now.

For my part, I clicked on this thread because I think low art is as worthy of dissection as is high art.

Tonally, I wouldn't call AVGN "casual." It's literally James Rolfe playing a character. I'd suggest that you approach "recommending an underexposed game", for example, as though you were introducing it to a friend. Saves you the trouble of trying to puff yourself up like you're gonna pass yourself off as a professional opinion-haver.

please webm that shit

I had to look up "mat pat" because I thought it was something to do with the matrix, only to discover that not only does the narrator in that video have a name, someone other than the narrator himself inexplicably knows what it is.

He's one of the cringiest video game faggot on Jewtube whos entire existence is shitting out clickb8 videos

He is talking out of his ass. Similarities between Witcher and Moorcock's Elric are superficial. That's why Moorcock decided to back down from suing CDPR and Sapkowski.
However, Razorfag continued to claim that Sapkowski plagiarized MuslimDick and that he will make a video backing it up soon. It's been about 5 years since he said that, and there is still no sign of the video.

Lorerunner. Specifically the Rumination series. Here's the Witcher 3 video which I think is one of his best.

youtube.com/watch?v=aPu_T-e0sKQ&index=181&list=PLA_ZFCIpDAd9J6glffbG7im72nxJkbkza

His latest video happens to mention it again (sorry, no webm):
youtube.com/watch?v=Psomzn-T8SI&feature=youtu.be&t=168

I can't give you many recommendations OP, because "game analysis" is subjective and 99.99% of people making videos or writing articles about games have retarded opinions. I prefer factual videos like Boundary Break, speedrunning analysis, glitch/programming explanations, and yes, Pannenkoek, to being bashed against the head with strongly worded but nonsensical arguments from narcissistic SJW autists.

iktf
That Thief video and this Quake video were the first vids that came to mind.

Ah, maybe you've yet to see Bisqwit's password cracking videos? Not Pannenkoek-tier autistic, but pretty close.

(heil'd)
Where have I seen that face before?

Seconding Noah Caldwell-Gervais.
His stuff on Half-Life especially enjoyable to watch.

I like his programming videos, but I haven't watched his password cracking ones yet. Maybe I'll watch one tonight.

Gonna recommend TheZZAZZGlitch, both for in-depth Pokemon programming and glitch analysis, and because the absolute madman did a Pokemon Blue A-Button Challenge.

Too bad this is just masturbation with no actual understanding of why certain games are bad or good and sell well/poorly and with no regard to actual stasistic.
It's all about muh opinion, which should have no place in an analysis.

Mandalore is great solely for not screaming at people for likes and subs along with the fact he actually takes requests. I never thought I'd see someone make a good video about Aurora that wasn't a let's play.

I can tolerate a gametheory video. You need pain to become stronger.

However, Gaijin Goomba is my upper limit, can't handle that shit.

Fuck I remember when Spoony was tolerable. Where is his "career" now?

Lost everything and will die homeless.

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

who doesn't?
that douchebag is literally a sophist with his head stuck in his own asshole. I'd rather listen to Super Bunnyhop or Errant Signal and I fucking hate Super Bunnyhop and Errant Signal.
who?
Sage for Rule 9, thinly veiled e-celebrity shill thread

youtube.com/watch?v=5fh1tPVG-j0&feature=youtu.be

youtube.com/watch?v=kuSXOQLLhOQ&t

Here are two of my favorite that I can think of off the top of my head, there are more, but I'll have to look for them

Snakerer is a competent guy I just wish that he wouldn't talk like he's about to fall asleep. Especially because you can really tell that that is not his real voice and he's just trying to sound extra sleepy.

I'm serious, is he a DPS-tier hermit now?

IIRC he does streams and shit now.

Just how bad is it do you think? How many views is he getting? Not going to check myself because he probably streams in America hours.

Barely any for his former popularity. 1000 tops.

I'll give you some advice I learned studying journalism from people who actually knew what they talked about.

Comedy is dicey, and for someone starting with nothing it can smack of trying to prove something. Don't shy away from puns or harmless jokes, but if you're making a video about game design, just stick to the game design and don't try to dress it up with comedy. CeeMarshall (RIP) is a good example of how to be conversational and funny while still being mostly effective. Vid related has a joke at the start about comparing Stranded Deep to The Forest which always gets a chuckle from me.

Adobe Premiere is a good, solid tool, but Sony Vegas is more powerful and doesn't require a keygen to work. I'd recommend Vegas but either is fine, since you shouldn't try to do anything fancier than title cards and basic audio mixing until you've watched a YouTube guide or something.

Speaking of audio mixing, just keep it simple.
Softly, and nothing with lyrics. The game OST is preferred because it's relevant, but public domain music is fine too. The YouTube audio library is surprisingly not garbage and has plenty of music for any mood you'd need; I recommend the "ambient" tag.
Clean unless there is a very compelling reason to be vulgar. You get one "fuck" per video, and after that you should think hard about what kind of image you want the listener to have. This is one of Razorfag's and Hbomberguy's prime problems, as well as countless other ecelebs.
Don't worry about politics at all; I can't possibly see what you'd gain by having a political jab in your work.

I have a deep appreciation for the written word, especially English, so make me proud and fucking spell check your writing. In particular, there are several tricks you can do to ensure you catch any irregularities: when proofreading, print your script out onto paper and read it aloud. This will ensure you catch any obvious grammatical errors (assuming you're literate enough to notice them, but obviously I can't help you with that). Avoid sentence fragments, subject-verb disagreement, all the shit you should know if you paid attention in high school.

My final point is the most important, because you must understand you'll be writing for video as opposed to writing for the eye (newspapers) or writing for the ear (radio). Writing for video means you can have sentences which are looser than print. For example:
is how you'd write for the eye, but with video you could do something like:
>The inventory looks like this. [beat] It's just as awful as it looks.
So overall you can convey information more quickly - a picture is worth a thousand words, and all that.

To ensure this lines up and you know what footage you need for specific examples, the way you write you script should have two columns on each page: the left for the script itself, and the right for descriptions of visual aids.

There are more subtle concepts, like matches on action or framing shots, but don't start worrying about those until you understand them. Good luck, dude.

BattleNonsense talks about the intricacies of netcode a lot.

I was trying to find a negative example of what NOT to do [game theory, extra credits, gaijingoomba, egoraptor] and I found Errant Signal. You guys weren't kidding, this guy is fucking garbage. He has a series called '0451' [a minor detail from a few games that he's trying to force into a meme] and is lazily picking apart the games with no understanding of what makes them good. He talks about themes and misinterprets them, mispronounces names, and is generally infuriating to watch.

What gets my blood boiling is his little list of games that qualify as "0451", which is already a pretentious label as-is. Behold, the power of faggotry.

As if that wasn't enough, I took a look at his Deus Ex video, and holy shit it might be the worst of this content I've ever seen.

youtube.com/watch?v=UN1GJLBM8Wc

Play the fucking games if you are willing to waste that much time on it. This is the fucking gen Y that loves to have their youtube e celebs form opinions for them

/thread

I'm curious to hear what people enjoy about this type of content.

I like it myself and have been considering doing some of my own and have ideas but I fear my style might be obnoxious and wonder how much of an audience there would be for nitpicking.

There's no tutorial stage or litmus test for this shit, sadly. The most you can do is write a script yourself, compare what you're saying to everyone else to see if there are any techniques the best of them are doing that you're not (or perhaps, the things they're not doing that you are) and then just make your video. If people like it, come what may. Just know that you're not going to be an overnight success - most channels that get big are slow burners that gradually draw respect and interest.

Or maybe people other than me have opinions I might benefit from hearing.

TheHappieCat maybe?

I have absolutely no idea how you can believe this while posting on a forum for the discussion of video games.

Personally, I like design breakdowns and examinations of how different mechanical systems interact with each other, and how those interactions (or the lack thereof) can affect a game. MatthewMatosis's videos on the Mario platformers, for example, discussed how the different types of jumps available to Mario in each game, and how having jumps which allowed him to go higher or longer in Sunshine made many platforming sections in that game focused on boring, giant jumps which forced you to use FLUDD.

I'm watching vid related right now, and one thing he mentions is that FFX's enemy bestiary is roughly two thirds palette swaps, which means much of the game's combat feels samey and boring. Anything where you crunch numbers like that and derive meaning from the crunch is interesting to me.

Proper autistic analysis often leans on the presenter's background. Obvious examples would be a TASer or a 3d programmer picking apart the design and eccentricities of a game engine. Someone with an advanced English degree can analyze the plot— which doesn't have to be about deliberate, high-art symbolism. It can be about what something "means" 25 years after its release. altright.com/2017/08/09/unconscious-cinema-the-terminator/

This user posted a video where the presenter begins interpreting Deus Ex in the context of modern politics, and if the speaker weren't a deranged faggot he might have said something interesting.

So I guess the tldr is that you should think more about what you can bring to the table and then make it happen, rather than worrying about any prospective audience that might not really exist.

Speaking of Deus Ex, a goon did a pretty decent Let's Play a few years back where he closed each episode with a segment about some aspect of the game world, and how it relates to the real world.

Were all those conspiricies bunk? Could nanosword technology work? Who are "the last men"? It's got nothing to do with Nietzsche.

Being a goon, he's pretty shitlibby and a little too incredulous that the world might actually be a bit fucked because of, say, the Rothschildes, the Trilateral Commission and other astonishingly jewish organizations. But otherwise it's pretty interesting. Y'all might enjoy it.

youtube.com/watch?v=47ITwTJXpOc&list=PL9H-oYsI40xb7gcRVeZ9cTWamY7kWDPV9

Nah man, you don't understand. If he wanted discussion he'd go to reddit.

Gotta admit I don't agree with many stuff he says but his videos are really well made and have some interesting things in them, except his thief stuff.

Yeah, as much as I liked this LP, it was the only thing he's done that I can sit through.

I would suggest the Kongversation by DK vine. If you can get past the cringy jokes and political bias it is really in-depth.
dkvine.com/kongversation/

That guy is retarded. He's nitpicking way too hard about people not saying Tidus' name. It's not that unnatural, I didn't feel like anything was missing when I first played through, you'll only care about it if you want something to complain about. The combat in 10 is the best in the series. He complains about it being too easy but I'm playing through 9 right now and I've literally mashed x through almost every battle. ATB is fucking retarded, all it does is make you wait to choose what you want to do. 10's system is the exact same thing as ATB except instead of having to wait for bars to fill it just shows you what everyone's bar will be at for the next few turns. And he keeps repeating himself without saying anything new. I'm 5 minutes in and he should have condensed that into 1:30 at most and I can see from the description he's going to keep droning on about combat until 13:55. Does it get any better?

I watched about 20 minutes before he started making big story comparisons to FFVII, and I don't want to spoil myself on the series before I get around to it. His tone stays the same, if that's what you're asking.

Well I'm well underway now. I fucking hate the sound of my own voice but I've heard several of these channels mention feeling that way at first too. I perpetually sound like a teenager. It isn't that bad but it bothers me.

Anyway, I wanted my first topic to be something not too large in scope, but not a tiny 5-minute video either. I decided to do a top-to-bottom retrospective of Cave Story, since I happen to know a lot about the game. I've been pointing out secrets and easter eggs, the game's history and translations, the weird tools used to make it, the music and composing styles that help distinguish each part of the game, and so on. Should I stick with it or does that sound boring?

Moreover - should I title it as a "Review" or "Retrospective"? I don't want to use the word "Analysis" because I'm not really analyzing anything yet, the video is shaping up to basically be a guided tour of the entire game and all its content.

It worked pretty well in Chrono Trigger, where you could do Combo attacks when the characters' gauges were full, but I agree. I don't understand why they dropped FFX's combat system immediately after. Being able to mess around with turn order without having to worry about half-assed real time action(?) was great.

You might want to look up Jay Miller. A few small changes to how you sit and the muscles you use when speaking can turn a shitty voice into a voice you're actually okay with.
Most of that sounds great. Maybe not the history, since it's common knowledge that some weird Jap calling himself Pixel made the whole thing himself, that he took some obvious inspiration from Super Metroid… I'd avoid spending too much time on anything you can read on wikipedia.

Review it how you like man, if politics come up, address it and move on. I'm going to shill E;R because I liked how he dismantles Korra, if you wanted a decent example.

Ross Game Dungeon and GGManLives.

I was just going to suggest this guy. Death of a Game is fantastic. Hybrid Method Media with MMO Graveyard is also good but god knows the guy never updates anymore

You going to have a shitty character on the screen like Gaijin Goomba?

(checked)
You can try projecting from the back of your throat to make your voice sound deeper. I have a pretty deep voice so I don't really know how to fix that.
Sounds interesting, and for faggots like me who were born too late it'll probably have a lot of cool trivia. You may want to watch vid related for inspiration, since I remember these videos being pretty comfortable and easy to watch.
I think "A Guided Tour of Cave Story" is a neat title, but if you want something more plain then "Retrospective" or "look back at" is more accurate.

I enjoy Ahoy's channel.

I like your stuff

now get back to work you turbonigger

Make more videos you nigger.

So I've sort of come up with a flowchart of all the videos I want/need to make. If anyone actually cares about my retarded system or how I labeled them, I can try to explain.

This image offers a glimpse into a troubled psyche. Tell me your story, user.

complete autism
you'll do just fine
tell us when you've uploaded your first video

Those connections don't make any fucking sense
What the fuck

Sometimes when I find out about a feature I test out how effective it is myself instead of just looking up the stats on the wiki. Take supreme commander for example: I heard that putting power generators next to artillery made them fire faster so I made webms related to test how much of a bonus they give.

That's the point of the video series, honestly. As I mentioned way back in

This shit is par for the course for me honestly. I can get into specifics if you get more specific.

I'll hold you to that when I get a non-shitty computer and make "What the Fuck Can You Say About Super Mario Bros b/w Duck Hunt". I promise it won't be monetized, none of them will be.

It's vaguely a catalog of my experience with video games, give or take a few for the sake of certain peices for story reasons. I can explain some details if you need me to.

For the record, Uncommon Time: The Movie is going to either be a 2-parter or a 2 hour video about Uncommon Time in detail nobody needs to hear and homages to my artistic influences titled Uncommon Time is Genuinely One of My Favorite Video Games of All Time

OK, but are they actual analysis or merely "i don't liek dis"?

As long as you actually make these videos I will watch them and tell you how to improve. I just hope you don't go on "hiatus" in the middle with no communication.

Oh boy, OP, do I have a treat for you.

youtu.be/_Gui9h5inLA

This is basically a let's play/analysis of Metal Gear Solid 2 and it's honestly probably the most thought provoking video about the MGS2, totally change my perspective about the game. Highly recommend giving it a watch if you have a few hours to kill.

Good question, it mostly depends on the game. For example, my first video is basically setting up what to expect from me, both in my skill level (I'm terrible at video games) and how I present myself (like a faggot). In my videos on Zelda there's a common theme of how the structure effects my enjoyment of it. In my Final Fantasy videos I will go into the gameplay because I'm a retard who plays JRPGs for the gameplay. My Pokemon series will, ironically, be more about the feelings the games will try to elicit, or at least what it got out of me. To be the most broad though, it is more an analysis of me through video games, since I'm the most important person in the world. If you want analysis of a whole game, wait until I make the video on Uncommon Time where I analyze the gameplay, the story, Duet, the community that sprung up here on Holla Forums, and possibly FeralPhoenix.

I'd likely only take any hiatus after the Uncommon Time video (and possibly a long gap before just because it's likely the biggest project I'd attempt), at which point I'd probably switch gears from "an autist talking about video games he's played" to "an autist working through his backlog". Or maybe I'd quit making videos because it's fucking stupid, either way. The point is I'm going to ride this poo poo train right into the toilet one way or another.

I guess it's disingenuous to say you're not worth making a video about when you're just talking about you and your own experiences because I might be wrong. Sometimes those videos are interesting when they're relatable or your experiences are at least understandable to a certain level.

It's mostly in the execution. You can have really boring subjects be made interesting by having good execution. That is, good pacing, good script, good editing, entertaining vibes.
Go for it, but if you're a faggot you'll fail spectacularly.

I like what I'm hearing.

I do happen to be a giant faggot, but at least I hope my spectacular failure will be amusing. I might not be worth making a video about, but I don't know if the world need another video about half the games I want to talk about anyway, so it can't hurt to try.

Really? Well, unpopular opinions are much more difficult to back up since you're going against the hivemind.
Either way, I'll repeat: It's not in the subject, it's in the execution. It doesn't matter what ideas you have. It's about how you put them in the video. You'll never know until you try.
So do it and keep us posted.

I'm working on a few videos simultaneously, but I'll be devoting a lot of time to my most complete video tomorrow and Monday. I wish I had more time to work on the videos I wanna do. Maybe if I start making better time management.

You know it's weird, your voice isn't grating and the videos are decently high quality and you only have like 300 subscribers.

Just don't be a money whore, Jewtube is a hobby not a job.

I try not to shill myself out too often. Thanks for the compliments though. The way YouTube is going nowadays though, I wouldn't want to make a cent off of their fucking shit anyways. I like doing my shit because I like watching similar videos, but there's a lot of games out there that don't get that kind of attention. And I'll be honest, Ross Scott was a pretty big inspiration, and I liked his attitude about preserving games and their history, which is why I tried to dig so deep in my Rising Zan videos. The research for the next one has been time-consuming, which is why it's taking so long to get out, and I wish I could say that I'm more satisfied with my findings, but there's only so much documentation about obscure Japanese developers who only worked on a small handful of games.

To be fair now, he physically can't do anything besides sit at his computer without a forklift and a three man team, which gives him a lot of time to fill.

I enjoyed your EYE video, I think you shilled that video in a thread once.

Wow, it's almost like he has AUTISM.

youtube.com/user/SolePorpoise/videos

Look up the faggot "The Dragon Demands", it's about ASOIAF, and not vidya, but his videos are long as fuck, and hes angry and autistic about things that were done incorrectly so you'd probably enjoy it.

I've shilled a couple of them here. I did my EYE video, my Rising Zan video, and I think my Oni video. I know how 8ch feels about shilling shit in general, so I try to stray from it unless it's at least in a relevant already-made thread. I used to post shit on /lp/, but that's board's dead as fuck anyways. Actually, if you go there, you'll see my SaGa Frontier embedded about halfway down the first page.

The Thi4f one was alright just because that game needed to be shit on a bunch with a non-serious LP. But yeah, the ones for the first three are largely him being terrible at the levels and not having a lot to say.

I encourage feminist who like him to read this gomakemeasandwich.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/in-his-words-why-jim-sterling-is-in-fact-very-sexist/

Everyone else should know that he turned from free-speech/consumer advocate to feminist/corporate.

I like ross mainly because its not the latest and greatest but digging up lost finds from days gone by I have never heard of. Armed and delirious haunts me still

Brutalcumpowder's video on earthbound is really good and about 4 hours.

bru
talcum powder

this guy tickled my autism for his two hour dissertation on why kreia is best girl in star wars

That's on my yearly playlist. Nice job sir.

Didn't MisterCaption sperg out over Huniepop?

Do what you want. Just be sure at the end of the day to stick to your principles and what makes you, you. If you have to put on a persona that you don't feel comfortable doing, don't. You could be the unique one who does your own thing. Don't fall into the trap of "you have to be x or y". Its fine to use them as a reference, but don't take too much inspiration from them or you're just another knockoff. If anything you should try experimenting until you find the approach you like best and feel the most comfortable doing.

That flowchart is insane and I think I need to do something like it for my own project.

Also, I want to see the Silver Surfer one.

only if I can fuck your ass

Is being autistic a kind of insane? If so then yes I am very insane.
I used a program called Inspiration, it works alright once you get the hang of it. Or you could do it in a not retarded way, your choice. What do you need it for anyway? I have a sort of flow to the videos in that they're all sort of connected (except the ones where I couldn't quite connect them).
You're going to be disappointed.

Hot off the presses.

What is /radcorp/ and threads with dedicated servers?

stop trying to be funny, you're really not
quit repeating your self
don't reference your other videos in your videos
if you're going to review shit, don't just talk about what you're reviewing on the base level, go into some depth and if you can't, don't really bother talking about something everyone who's even half retarded has already figured out
if you're going to plug another reviewer who puts more into his review then you do, you may as well give up reviewing entirely
if you're going to contact people, try to get incontact with someone who actually was involved with the development of said thing you're reviewing
if you can't get in contact with them don't spend time saying what amounts to "I can't find shit"
it's kinda pointless to compare a game to a section of some shit game
if you're going to compare different medias from two different time periods don't just amount it to >yeah I'd like it if it was rainbow six
finally don't just say aspects of the game were "o.k or I liked it" that does not a good review make

Thanks man.

I'm planning a series of videos where I talk a lot about philosophy and politics, and probably very little about videogames. Except Secret of Mana, because the weird admixture of European myths (boy pulls legendary sword from stone) with Buddhism bears some scrutiny. The real point in that one is that childhood influences can be fun, and can maybe plant some seeds intellectually if we don't reduce the medium to spewing pro-gay propaganda non-stop.

The topics are connected in the way you describe, but the way I've arranged my writings is in a tree whereas a graph gives a better view of the full set of dependencies.

The other user is mostly right. I don't like to be a jerk about it though, so I'll just say "avoid tryhardism."

Also, I don't know your production process, but you wanna run your audio through the compressor in audacity. Screenshot related. The joke is that you're clipping— okay, but you can still compress the peaks so they're down around the 0.5/-0.5 area where it should be, without losing the distortion.

Thanks as well. I'm gonna try to smooth out the whole process of how I make my videos. I need a lot more planning. I blame myself for trying to slap the video together as quick as I could. I did do a lot of research, although it didn't amount to anything, so I'm really disappointed in that. I'm fairly certain that my next one will be a lot better. Thanks for the tip in Audacity. I know how to use it a bit, but not as much as I'd like. Hopefully I can teach myself how to properly utilize the tools available to me. Since we're on the subject though, do you have anything else to add? I'd really like to make some good videos discussing the games that I discuss, because I believe they deserve more attention than they've received. Are there any resources that I could use to better myself on how to discuss games in-depth, or is it something where I just have to do more research on a game and include those findings within the video?

Mechanically speaking, If you don't have a thorough understanding of game theory in general (that is, encouraging certain lines of play vs discouraging others), you should read a book or two on it. I can't shill vid related enough.

You should also try playing games very far removed from video games, like poker or old tabletop games, to have a better understanding of how different kinds of games balance player skill vs luck.

Awesome! Thanks! I'll be taking a look into all of this tomorrow.

I think the answer is to gain more exposure to high-quality analysis of any kind. Find the things that resonate with you and note the ones that don't. The trick is not to just imitate their editing style or whatever, but to understand the way they think about their subject.

It doesn't necessarily have to be big-brain stuff. I happened to watch your Oni video this morning, and thought it was pretty good. You talked about what it was, why it was important to its audience, and what happened to it after its release. The detail about the rooms being mostly large and empty was interesting because it explains something non-obvious about why it is the way it is.

Gotcha. I think that's been a big problem with how I've been trying to structure my videos in general. I like watching these kinds of videos. I generally enjoy watching videos from Ross Scott, MatthewMatosis, or Joseph Anderson, and I find their research and commentary fascinating. Instead of trying to get into their mindset on how they view games, I guess I have been trying to emulate their videos with similar beats in editing, or pacing, or what topics to cover. When I was playing through Oni, it had just occurred to me that everything felt overly-large and I asked myself why. That led to me getting a hold of Hardy LeBel and asking him a few questions pertaining to the game. I'm thinking that I need to rewire my thought process whenever I play games. I'm not sure if this is a more recent problem with me because recently I've just been playing games mindlessly, not really thinking about them whenever I actually play them. It feels like more of a "going through the motions" type of deal with me. Do you think that part of the solution might be to engage myself with games that I'm playing on a more, I guess… mentally involved level? Maybe where as I'm playing games, I should be asking myself some basic questions on how or why certain aspects of the game behave the way they do and then follow up on them in one way or the other?

Well, yeah. Do you really not think about that stuff when you play games? I find I can never turn it off.

God, not anymore. I've just been too tired and everything I do feels like a chore. You ever drive home from work or wherever and you get in your car, you take off, and suddenly you're home and you have no recollection of the time in between? That's how I've been feeling playing games recently. Well, that's how I've just been feeling recently. Everything's been one long car ride. Not to get too personal or anything… Maybe this conversation will get me back into using my brain. It wasn't always like this.

That's probably the most important thing to get a handle on. Stress kills creativity.

I like you. For future reference, the brickwall compression meme works better with everything being loud, and competing for "space" with everything else, like maxing out some background music and your narration, without clipping.

delet this.
His autism is pure and loving.

It's interesting, but the guy behind them is completely cucked, to the point that he refuse to touch the franchise again because of what some of the latter installments contain.

Yeah, I got through ~90 minutes of the MGS2 video, and it was just this airy-fairy "interpretation" of how meaningless details are actually metaphors for what-the-fuck-ever. I like the game and the autistic speedrun details enough to hang in there anyway, but then he piles on the shitlib "looking at women is problematic" garbage.

Terrible.

His MGS3 Foxhound guide is a thing of beauty since it's 80% gameplay autism 10% laughing at stupid shti and 120% him trying to look smart, but then the last video happens and you just know something is gonna go bad the moment he brings up not wanting to tranq&drag EVA to not "degrade her as a woman" I'm paraphrasing but it's the idea anyways
Then he goes onto interpreting the final fight based exclusively on his own playstyle.
And finally when he gets to the result screen he starts a rant with a trigger warning so you already know it's going to be retarded.

Neat typo in his case but really meant 10%

That anti-gg video got me to unsub, his a pretentious faggot. I only liked his TES video anyway and never watched anything else he did.

lmao. Sounds about right. Sounds fun though, I'll check it out.

what program are you using?

He's not the most intelligent player I've ever seen, playing shooters with a controller and all, but his videos are relaxing and I enjoy how he provides solutions to large-scale story and gameplay problems rather than simply recognizing them.

Would you enjoy some dude's musings on playing GTA V Online as an immortal pacifist? It gets better than vid related.

Gotta second this. I'm not sure how much light is actually shed on the nature of interactive online spaces, but it's pretty entertaining.

I think I mentioned earlier, some crappy free trial of a program called Inspiration

where's the loss?

Novacanoo and Draz are two good ones I haven't seen mentioned yet.

GVMERS is also decent.

Really the best way to do that is to find a speedrunner who runs the game. Usually they like to help other people get started so they'll autistically explaining hidden mechanics that aren't obvious in the game. However, them being speedrunners, will mostly only explain mechanics useful to speedrunning, and it will only be games that can be speedrun, so it's a mixed bag. The best example I can think of would be Bl00dybizkitz and his Kingdom Hearts shit of which he has a couple dozen where he just explains why the game does X when you do Y.
youtube.com/watch?v=RV2fM2UtfTU
I don't know why but it won't let me embed the video on any of my browsers, is anyone else having this problem with posting?

youtube.com/channel/UCwRqWnW5ZkVaP_lZF7caZ-g
This guy is retro game mechanics explained.

Also, not a video guy, but critpoints.wordpress.com/ tends to do a lot of mechanical analysis and occasionally explain the implementation of things on a system level.

The Gaming Symposium?

I had that new vegas video in my watch later for a while and the minute I decided to listen to it, it was gone. I'm kind of surprised there haven't been any re-uploads of everything he's taken down.

Noah is great especially if you appreciate good narrative analysis

In be4 some retard starts whining about his politics

Why does this thread still have cake?

You mean the "Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is a bad game because it's sexist" guy?

>In be4 some retard starts whining about his politics
Even setting his politics aside, the guy just has shit taste.

i would like to do something like that in the future, but what mic should i get

Was coming to recommend these exact two channels

Spirit of the Century is pretty good if you're into AoE 2. It's made me rethink the role of kangz in the expansions.

a good one

You're all nice people.

Fuck off, cunt.

52f8c3 is actually really nice, he just doesn't know how to react to niceness.

I think you're going to regret saying that. Mostly finalized chart, still might need to come up with some better titles.

altf4games

bump because i still haven't gotten around to watching all the videos in this thread

I'd watch it.

Winter streamer had better fucking find an internet connection and come back this December.

Matthew is god tier. His livestreams are always fun too, shame he does them like once a year.

I mean he's not really being all that out there he just points out elements from MGS2 that are similar from MGS1 and how they're different or how they're inverted. Most people come to the same interpretation that MGS2 is an inversion of expectations of equals. I mean some of it does take a little bit of creative thinking but it's really not all that out there. Maybe you're just not used to understanding fiction outside of the literal so I can understand why you might feel that way. Try understanding fiction outside of what is literally presented and you might find that it's kind of fun.

Am I autistic for loving almost hour long dark souls and Bloodborne lore videos? They're pretty great.

After watching too many vaati videos, I don't want to hear anything more of dark souls tbh

I fucking loved vaati it's too bad that his fand weren't that into Bloodborne videos because he stopped making those and they were some of my favorites.

Are some.

If you want to expose yourself to a different perspective, then KingK might be interesting.
Keyword "might."
He's kind of a cunt, one of those "I just want to have a conversation" but always ignores criticism, types.

I love stuff like that too, but it's hard to find people who analyze and point out the most obvious basic shit that isn't of interest. Some faggot made a 20 minute video gushing about how brillaint a 2 minute scene of anime was because they put the color red fucking everywhere and "red signifies danger, how brilliant is that?"

Not exactly what you were looking for but they havent been posted in the thread as far as I can tell, and they are pretty interesting.

Russian dude talking about and showing shitty bootlegs he had to play while growing up since Russia didnt get the genuine games.
Not all videos are subtitled though, so unless you speak russian you cant really watch everything.

Guy talking about video game speedruns, from the early speedrunning of the game to what the game's speedruns are today.

If he doesn't I'm getting a non-shit computer finally soon so I hope to replace him if needed.

What is your channel? I want to catch the Uncommon Time one.

If you mean Youtube, I don't have one, won't make one until I make a video. I'll post a thread here on Holla Forums only because somebody asked me to. If you mean the stream, I'll make it in like November or something. I'll ask for recommendations of games to play around then too, so I can sort of plan this mess out.

If you mean Youtube, I don't have one, won't make one until I make a video. I'll post a thread here on Holla Forums only because somebody asked me to. If you mean the stream, I'll make it in like November or something. I'll ask for recommendations of games to play around then too, so I can sort of plan this mess out.

Bumping because I'm finishing up my first video right now and I want your opinions

Well, I've got hours to spend on fuck all so I'm waiting

Game Dungeon is entertaining, not super autistic but very in-depth.
Spirit of the Law is a math nerd who loves to run the numbers on various AoE2 situations.

Oh this too:
youtube.com/watch?v=jPqwDGXxLhU

Could just let the guy have some views.

The webms are already on his computer, why should he take the time to go to the guy's youtube page when he can just upload the webms, especially when not everybody is going to want to give the guy views?

I linked the youtube too, people can give views if they want.

I really hate this modern trend of Webm-ing videos that belong to small channels, just watch it for fucks sake. Does anyone even remember why we started webming yt vids? It was because we didn't want to give certain people views, but now we just assume that no one deserves views at all.

I can't save a youtube video. Well I can, but I'm not fucking going to.

10 seconds to find it on youtube, versus waiting for 30 megs to upload? Not to mention taking up 30 megs of server space and bandwidth. Plus the youtuber made a good product and deserves at the very least the views. You pirate/archivefags have totally lost your mind.

The content is the focus, not the origin. No reason to use YouTube with all its restrictions when you can just give someone a file that will play for them regardless of their country, age, account status, browser, video removed, etc.

Fair point, I suppose. I guess I'm just too used to seeing good yt content getting posted followed by 15 anons spamming "I AINT CLICKING THAT SHIT NIGGA LOL WEBM NOW OR GTFO"

My first idea was to make a short review for a simple game that I liked, to test the waters. I finished the script and was feeling really enthusiastic, but when it came time to record I remembered that I sound like a 16-year-old trying not to wake up his parents. I pushed through and you can actually hear me gaining confidence through the course of this video. I guess some third-party input would help:

Is my voice annoying - if so, what to change? Do I slur words like a sperg? Does my speaking cadence rip off Joe Anderson and Matthew too much? What about the script?

I'm a huge perfectionist and will always hate the content I create so feedback is all I've got to go on.

your voice works well & so does your delivery. i'd just like to hear a more in depth mechanical justification of your opinions than 'i like x' or 'y is good' direct examples would help too, if you were to refer to specific levels that exemplify an aspect of the design or just the overall heuristic progression through a particular episode. maybe it's because i also used to play n a lot but i feel like you also sort of took the particulars of the movement & momentum for granted when they could have added clarity about how n feels different from other platformers. never take simplicity for granted. it's a very good first effort & i'm interested to see what you come up with in the future. gj user

Good content creators deserve views though

This ain't some Gaijin Goomba shit..

Well English is not my first language, so I don't know how a 16 year old basement dweller sounds like, but it definitely didn't feel like that to me.
I agree with the other guy that it needs more in-depth talking about the mechanics, since that's N's strength.
I personally only played the flash game 12 years ago so what I remember about the game is overall fuzzy. Thankfully you cleared my mind a little and also showed me the remakes which I've never played, so I enjoyed your review aside from your request.

Their content is getting viewed regardless, it's not like the resolution changes make it a different video.

You did a good job. A suggestion (which may or may not work) is to put in faint background music, preferably from the game you're reviewing, so that it covers up the static from your microphone. It's presonal preferance really, I find it more enjoyable when reviews are presented that way.
Aside from that I have nothing to add that the other anons haven't covered. Generally making longer and more detailed videos in the future would be nice. but other than that your presentation is perfect for this kind of video.

You remind me of Bateman describing music. For being a huge perfectionist you included the same line about level sharing twice. Which is probably the line that reminds me the most of Bateman since you talk about the game getting a "boost".

Your voice is fine. There's a bit of hiss in the background, but nothing ruinous. You didn't slur anything, but if you want to be autistic about detail you can consider editing the audio levels to zero when you aren't actively speaking so I don't have to hear your disgusting inhalations like at 1:45. Either that or just cut out the breaths between sentences.

You repeat a line about getting bang for your buck. How did that make it past the final edit?

As other anons mentioned, you didn't talk about the reasons WHY N++ and its predecessors are good platformers. You didn't mention stuff like double-jumping off of ramps and tiny walls, or using curved floors to slingshot falling momentum horizontally, or using angled ceilings to deflect yourself after wall-jumping up a shaft. The decision to jump is important in many levels, and many others encourage you to jump over hills rather than running over them.

I would have also liked to see you describe the control system in more detail and dissect how momentum-based it is; personally, I disliked the heavy momentum and floaty jumps paired with the digital controls and I believe the game would control better with analogue stick.

Your voice, diction, and pacing is fine, but you might want to refine the audio a bit. At a few points you can be heard inhaling or exhaling; adding some background music can go a long way and cover up small issues like that. Also, try adding a bit of space to your audio. I don't know if I can explain this properly, but it sounds a bit claustrophobic. Again, background music would probably help. Other than that, try expanding the range of your voice, and don't be afraid to add a bit of emotion here or there.

Your script is what I think needs the most work. Voicework usually just gets better with practice, but bad writing do habits not and are hard to change without constant effort. Here are the lines that could use some work:

I'm personally not a fan of this. Although it makes sense to start your review here chronologically, being the first time you played it and all, it comes off feeling unnecessary. Does the fact that you played it as a teenager back then have any impact to your thoughts on the game now? If it does, you didn't explain it in the video. Sure, the story you gave gives context to why you played it, but it just isn't relevant. When people use childhood stories to contextualize reviews and essays I can't help but cringe because it's overused and often irrelevant to what they want to say. It reminds me of the introductions to shitty papers I wrote in middle school.

The phrase "little did I know" is an awful cliche that attempts to build up suspense or surprise, but is so overused that any reader immediately knows that whatever follows it isn't going to be worth reading/listening to.

>On it's face this seems too simple to make a video about, but as you can probably tell, I disagree
Similar to the last complaint. This sentence is silly and unnecessary. Of course it's not "too simple to make a video about", the video is right here. It's begging the question and the "but as you can probably tell" is just another form of "little did I know". The "as you can probably tell" quip might seem like something smart that attempts to engage the reader, but it just makes them cringe.

"Fullest extant that they're able to be" is clunky. Use "potential" instead. Actually, even "fullest potential" a bit cliche, so I'd throw in some examples to make it sound less hollow.

How important might I think these collectibles are? Get rid of this, it's just another attempt to engage the reader that falls flat.

It is? How?

I almost want to let this slide, but it's cliche when it comes to reviews. Wanting more of something is not a substitute for negative criticism when you can't think of actual criticisms.

Nope. Cliche as fuck.

Cliche as well.

This might actually not be that bad, I just don't like it. Assuming the audiences thoughts on something just feels like a cheap transition here.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Your first review isn't that bad, but I'd recommend that you really pay attention to your writing. Literary cliches and phrases are hard not to use because most people don't write/read enough in their daily lives to realize how overused they are. Cliches can also hinder your writing in that you can sometimes use them in place of your critical thoughts, and can otherwise ruin great ideas. People tend to rely on them when they can't articulate exactly how they feel, and it leads to unimaginative writing. Try removing the cliches and I guarantee you'll notice how much better your arguments and critiques sound. Good luck.

Really makes me wonder

*extent. Extant is an adjective.
Oh, piss off. It's a harmless rhetorical statement meant to draw focus to the collectible system.
He spent a paragraph describing why the collectible/scoring system worked before he said that; it was a closing statement, not an introductory one. Pay attention, dude.

In another context it would be a harmless statement, but he follows it up with the "it's more important than you might think." That statement led him into some lazy writing.

Yeah, I guess I fucked up. It doesn't really stop that particular sentence from sounding weird though. I think I interpreted what he said in an autistic way. Of course the scoring system, designed specifically for the game, is a good thing. He could just have just removed the "which is a good thing" part and it would be fine. Why does he need to say it's a good thing at all? Is there a chance that a scoring system made specifically for a game could turn out to be a bad thing?

Look, if I wanted to make great analytical content for the whole world to see, I would want someone to tear my shit apart. How would I improve if people just kept telling me my content was great even though there was room to improve? Even the small, nitpicky, shit I'd like to know about.

I feel like the recording quality could be better. Your voice and tone is good, but it's not the clearest.

Vanquish? Would have been much better with the standard Platinum ranking system.

I should get around to playing Vanquish, is the scoring system bad in that game? I could get s-ranks in Bayo and MGR without much trouble.

Why does the thumbnail show the recent shitty F2P shooter GitS game when you're talking about the PS1 game?

I concur. It's admirable that you care this much about him using cliches, but like I said in a much earlier post, writing for the ear - especially when using an obviously conversational style - is very different. The sentences you specified are cliches in type, and they could be worded better, but when spoken almost everyone will take the idea of the sentence first and the actual wording second.

user . . .

From what I can tell, there is no real ranking system, just score for doing various things. Basically, that number next to your Pure Platinum ranking that nobody cares about.

Where did I contradict myself

Oh, fuck me. I thought you said "without." Haven't actually played Vanquish.

Neither have I, but I've seen enough people complain about it. I should really play more Platinum/Clover/CUHRAYZE games, I liked The Wonderful 101, the one I did play.

Please explain it like I'm a Macfag, because neither his description nor the manual for the N64 game were of any help. That's already a bad sign if the manual can't explain it well.

My favorite Super Bunnyhop moment was where he followed a glowing review of Gone Home with an entire op-ed for Gameranx about how anyone who didn't like Gone Home or thought it wasn't a game was wrong. This was itself followed up with a face-to-face interview with Gone Home's director, Steve Gaynor.

Eh, I don't believe that. Using cliches like that is fine for normal conversation, but if you're going to do a review or critical analysis of something your viewers should expect a higher standard. Even if they don't expect a higher standard other critics will. On top of that, holding yourself to a standard and having better writing/speaking skills is good self-improvement.

Being professional and high strung will put more scrutiny on your voice and interactive analysis, but it will give your video staying power.

At the same time, you should be yourself. A wise man named Fred Rogers once recommended such a thing under the reasoning that children can spot a phony a mile away. Internet users can be very childlike, so that applies well.

Well, when you use the Owl, you create a "quick save". It is a temporary save that, upon loading, is deleted, and if you turn off the game or are otherwise sent back to the last save point it would go back to your last real save (at the start of a 3 day cycle in this case. Anything I need to clarify?

I didn't read the manual but Nintendo was really pushing that mechanic in the GBA. Basically, the quick save mechanic allows you make a temporary save which deletes itself after load the save. It lets you save at points in the game designer doesn't want you save in fear of reset-load exploits or dead-ends.

When you make a quick save, the game forces you quit. When load the quick save, the game deletes the save state thus you can not access that point in the game again by turning off your device and loading it from the menu.

For example, you make a quick save before you talk to the inn manager. You load the game and play it until the goron, [player name], claim his room. You cannot reset and load back to before you talk the inn manager. You have to wait until the start of next three day time loop to try again.

It is popular with portable titles because it allows people to exit the game whenever they want without the problem of save scumming.

Further, the reason it was implemented in Majora's Mask is because it wasn't implemented in the Japanese version. In the Japanese version if you wanted to stop playing you'd have to either pause the game or start a new 3 day cycle. This was kind of dumb so they made a compromise with the quick save system. And then they threw all of it out in the 3DS remake and just had regular because casuals. Maybe the original reason they couldn't save and reload in the middle of a 3 day cycle is because of how the scripting for all the characters and what they do in the cycle is called in the N64 version, and the 3DS can save that better. It might explain why OoT lets you save all the time while MM doesn't. I'm not 100% certain though.

Sounds like kids are pretty terrible at spotting phonies these days considering the kinds of idiots they like to watch.

Pretty good! It was about as long as it needs to be, and delivers a coherent, relevant message.

The only thing I took issue with was, like another user said, the opening. My advice regarding this kind of "lede-burying" discursion is to ask yourself if it would be something that you'd reasonably add to the middle or ending, as support for your position.

See, the answer here is "no", because why would you break up the flow of the video for that anecdote. And if you don't want to put it in the middle, it almost certainly doesn't belong at the beginning, either.

The gaming brit tends to be a little more on the short side, but alot of his good analysis vids are 15+ minutes.

He has some pretty good taste. I found it hilarious when he went from serious devil may cry and general capcom weebshit skeptic to wanting to suck dante's dick in a single review
it's okay though because I want to as well

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm working on my Cave Story video right now, but it's shaping up to be over 30 minutes long because I know the game to an autistic degree and want to leave nothing behind. I like longform videos of that nature but I've never experienced firsthand how exhausting they are to work on until now. After that I think I might blow off steam with a video tearing apart a game that's mediocre or overrated, probably the new Superstar Saga remake or Samus Returns. Thoughts on that? Could I get copyright-fucked, and if so, is it worth the risk?

Just about lost my shit laughing when I read this one, I didn't realize how much I sounded like him. You know, I could totally do some bateman-style rants about some of the music I'm into, but I'm not sure if anyone would watch them. Think anyone would like an autistic music analysis? Probably of some concept album like the Downward Spiral or 2112 from Rush

Do the same thing only with games instead of music, I'd eat that shit up no questions asked

I think that'd be great. There are so many awful decisions you'd have a field day.

Are there any moments of depth or clarity on less involved analysis channels? Embed related popped up in my recommended videos and it was interesting to learn just how boring and uninspired Destiny's story is.

don't die, thread

Personally, I didn't really understand what potential IHE saw in the first place. Perhaps its a product of the times, but none of the designs really stand out. The only leg up titanfall ever had over any of these nuScifi games was giant robots, but even then they weren't too interesting.

Compare it to something like halo, which desite being normalfag-tier had some really fun and memorable characters that didn't just throw out one-liners like deadpool-bot did in destiny 2. The designs, though ruined by 4 and 5, were also pretty great. Each race had a pres-established set of characteristics and personalities that they stuck to, making them easily identifiable. Here its all the same boring bullshit.

This is some really good advice. A lot of beginning writers fall into the trap of relying on phrases and idioms and they don't really add anything interesting or substantial while also having an effect of making the work feel amateurish or tedious.

Basically just ask yourself with each sentence: "Will it detract from the rest of the work if I remove it?" If you don't think it will, then just remove it. Don't allow any superfluous sentences to enter your script, maybe ask a friend or something to read it to you. I tend to find that is a good way to find what works and doesn't work. Very good first video though, you have a lot of promise.

Upon reflection I realized a few problems. I don't have a name for my channel or video series, although I'm sure if pressed hard enough I can come up with yet another overly long title like I did with almost all the videos on the flowchart I made. I also wanted to use cropped porn for my video thumbnails because I find that hilarious, but not only is that probably against the Youtube rules (as if they'd ever fucking notice me and my zero viewers) it seems like I'd have to have them send me a text and I can't really do that I think.

Moth People

to be fair, that does sound badass

Raycevick has a great voice and his content is fairly solid. He tends to side more apologetically with developers and he doesn't criticize publishers when its merited. In short, he's pretty safe his opinions.

I think he's Canadian. That would explain quite a bit.

The Examined Life (of Gaming)
Raycevik
That's all the good ones. Noah is okay but most of his videos don't have a lot of production quality, just reading a script over gameplay with little editing.

This wasn't too bad and it actually peaked my interest in a game I had no interest in previously. Hence I'd say you did your job IMO I watched about 3/4 of the video before I started skipping once I got the gist..

If you're really interested in this, I'd definitely refine your audio. Invest in at least a pop filter and record in your closet until you can get something better.

Also the perfectionist shit will do you in. Write, edit, publish, and try not to dwell. Easier said than done. If you can create first and self criticize later, you'll complete more and actually improve. Either way, I look forward to more.from you.

Also worry less about who you sound like and worry more about sounding like you.

archive.fo/kx2uL

Here's the thread archive if anyone wanted it. I still have a bunch of names to catch up on and this thread has been pleasantly positive.

Are there any channels that go indepth about secrets in old vidya? Hidden content in the mortal kombat games, the museum in Ratchet and Clank, the hidden games in microsoft excel, etc?

Don't die yet, thread.

he's also a pretty big casual.

Behold.

I have no fucking idea how, but it managed to render. Vegas kept crashing, and changing settings didn't do anything at all; using smaller files resulted in weird video artifacts; and I was actually starting to think that I might not be able to get this one out. I was frustrated and exhausted so I just banged my head against it trying to render until it actually went through somehow.

I think I've upped my game in terms of quality/autism and did the first tenuous flexing of my "analysis" muscle. I'm excited to hear reactions because despite the technicalities, I had a lot of fun working on this one and could've even taken it a bit further. maybe when the SS1 remake releases I'll go even harder.

Nice, will watch in a bit

Out of curiosity, what are your "inspirations"? As in, what autistic analysises to do watch?

Some of these are listed already in the thread but Im going to put the ones I know

MandaloreGaming - Has sharp videos with interesting opinions. Does videos on games that dont get a lot of press.

Shammy - Review style commentary. Quick witted and funny. Well written videos.
Accursed Farms aka Ross - Game Dungeon is the series you are looking for, its exactly the thing you want. Analysis, completion, discussion, everything, couldnt recommend more
Brutalcumpowder - Only his Earthbound video so far is analysis, some of his other videos are good, very post ironic. Dont be scared off by the name

You already mentioned matthewmatosis, who in my opinion is the best of the best, and Joseph Anderson who I disagree with a lot but Im glad he is making videos and part of the discussion. Stay away from Noah-Caldwell Gervais, not worth it, or Raycevik. Their analysis isnt all that interesting. Lastly there is some video called "Oblivion Retrospective" thats on youtube that is like 4 hours but I havent watched it but its on my to watch list. I may be forgetting some people but thats what I got for now

Oh boy i wonder what exciting new revelations can be shared about this game that haven't been said by millions of others.

Holla Forums-core is the worst.

nice

Good job my guy. It's nice to see a video about system shock that doesn't just suck off ss2 for 20 minutes.
Next video make a better outro screen, fading out for thirty seconds while playing music is awkward. I suggest making an end card that links to the two videos you've done so far and a subscribe button or some shit, just to put something there.

Cool stuff. There were a few points where it was obvious that you were reusing footage, which I recommend against. You have a decent expository tone. I found the cutting in and out of the noise floor of your microphone to be mildly annoying. Adding low background music would probably fix this and make the video more attention-grabbing as a whole. What mic do you have?

My main "inspirations" were matthewmatosis (usually very insightful) and joseph anderson (not as good but still nice), but I try to go in my own direction rather than ape their particular styles. Also a big Game Dungeon fan but Ross is usually more focused on entertainment than informative analysis or nuanced opinion. Really, though, I just play a lot of games, and having certain opinions just comes as a natural byproduct of that.

Look, I know the shock horse has been long since beaten to death, but I at least tried to present an opinion here that's separate from the norm. I need to get my foot in the door with something that will connect with an audience before I start moving into weird stuff.

The name of the game here is minimalism. I'm trying to shave off any fluff or bloat, with no intros or outros. Mainly to drive the point home that fancy editing and aesthetics aren't necessary and anyone with working vocal cords can make good content with practice. I suppose the ending part does contradict that, I guess I was just trying to be sly by tying the music to the subject.

Originally I had a lot of footage from the entire SS2 campaign in one take, but the file got fucked up somehow during editing and I had to cobble enough footage to cover the gaps. It's why most of the video is just aimlessly running around decks 1 and 2 hitting things with the wrench. Music playing underneath voice is a pet peeve of mine, it feels like it cheapens the tone and I'd like to avoid it if possible. Next time around I'll keep the game audio in and see if that helps mask the noise gating. I live on a very busy street with a lot of background noise so sometimes a take will be ruined by a passing car or something. My mic is attached to my headset, a Logitech G35.

Not sure if I should bump or sage because I don't wanna keep the thread alive just for myself.

Good taste, but yeah. Ross is more about showcasing really weird and obscure games than game analysis. Anyways hope to see more from you.

Same. I want to get into video making, but I don't know what tools to start with for videos. I have OBS, but what did you use for audio and mic?

Definitely an improvement with your script in this one. There's lot less cliched dialogue and it's easier and more engaging to listen to as a result. I guess the only critique I have is that while the video is a good comparative analysis of the two games, you could take it a bit further. You make a good case of what both games do well and how one game might have merits over the other, but why should the viewer care? You offer good, objective, criticism (if there is such a thing) that demonstrates to the viewer why one game might be received differently from the other, and give reasons why. That should be all well and good but it doesn't really offer anything insightful to the viewer. This post is a good example of what I'm talking about. Anyone can compare two things and understand the differences between them, and with a series like System Shock this has been done to death. To make better analytical content, you need to relate your analysis to the viewer and give them a reason to care. Take, for example, Super Eyepatch Wolfs' videos. The title of his videos instantly tell the viewer why they should care about the topic, albeit in a really obvious way, i.e. "Why You Should Watch Kaiji".

In simpler terms, I think what this video is lacking is a main idea. Or some kind of main "why". If I'm not making any sense, or I missed a section in the video where you give a good reason for the viewer to care, feel free to ignore this.

Definitely an improvement with your script in this one. There's lot less cliched dialogue and it's easier and more engaging to listen to as a result. I guess the only critique I have is that while the video is a good comparative analysis of the two games, you could take it a bit further. You make a good case of what both games do well and how one game might have merits over the other, but why should the viewer care? You offer good, objective, criticism (if there is such a thing) that demonstrates to the viewer why one game might be received differently from the other, and give reasons why. That should be all well and good but it doesn't really offer anything insightful to the viewer. This post is a good example of what I'm talking about. Anyone can compare two things and understand the differences between them, and with a series like System Shock this has been done to death. To make better analytical content, you need to relate your analysis to the viewer and give them a reason to care. Take, for example, Super Eyepatch Wolfs' videos. The title of his videos instantly tell the viewer why they should care about the topic, albeit in a really obvious way, i.e. "Why You Should Watch Kaiji".

In simpler terms, I think what this video is lacking is a main idea. Or some kind of main "why". If I'm not making any sense, or I missed a section in the video where you give a good reason for the viewer to care, feel free to ignore this.

Fuck, I waited a long-ass time for my first post to appear and it never did. Then I resend it and they both fucking show up.

I was thinking about making videos myself, it's been a long time since I put anything online aside from some Unreal SDK tutorials back in 2007, so I'm a bit rusty. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for what video editing software might be appropriate and software to capture video from my computer, is FRAPs still the go-to program for that?

OBS is as good as you'll ever need for raw capture, honestly. For editing, read the thread; I recommend Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere.