Xonotic

Organize matches, make maps, play anons' maps (& give feedback), and have your freedoms respected.

News
New Holla Forums server located in the Balkans will be coming online soon.

user's toaster-raping map, antares-dm1_b1, playable on the Holla Forums server. Requires computer that can run an updated Quake 1 engine with reflections turned on.

user's duel map bmn1_b3, is playable on the Holla Forums server.

Several new CTS maps added to the Holla Forums server. To check player ranks, vacant leaderboard slots, and best times, check the web leaderboards at :15000/cgi/cts (no javascript, no cookies, plain html).

Upcoming European 4v4 Team Deathmatch Tournament.

bzfag abandons his game-fu for Red Eclipse and Unvanquished. It is unknown if bzfag still at large seeking other bzflag players. bzfag is suspected next to solicit MUGEN players from Path of Exile threads or FOSS games in completely unrelated threads.

Game Servers
Holla Forums Pacific [Xon/XPM/XDF | Voteable | 0.8.2] Status
dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic&server=98.176.82.170:26000

Unofficial EU lainchan.org Xonotic 0.8.2 Server Status
dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic&server=188.165.212.152:2600

Newbie Guide
gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis/Halogenes_Newbie_Corner

Other urls found in this thread:

u.teknik.io/KnnDt.zip
u.teknik.io/6jA9J.zip
u.teknik.io/3IGaP.zip
u.teknik.io/Ab5ZS.zip
u.teknik.io/aniDg.zip
u.teknik.io/Z6cye.zip
archive.is/lEAgE#selection-25969.8-25985.363
dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic&server=98.176.82.170:26000
stats.xonotic.org/game/914503
poal.me/338zfi
forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=7521&action=lastpostSep
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It has already started and isn't going well. There's been only one match played since August 6. They've had scheduling conflicts because they decided to have the teams organize their matches independently instead of having a dedicated day for it like the duel tournaments.

I assumed "Group Stage" was playing some TDM to get some groups formed, and playoffs was the official thing.

I've always wanted to get into this, but no matter when or how I've installed it, it refuses to connect to any server for some damn reason. Even tried with one on localhost that outside people could connect to fine.
I think my PC must be cursed

That's weird. The one thing I can think up of that screws with connections is encrypted connections/servers. If too much cpu time is spent, the connection gets dropped (hence the occasional phenomenon of people leaving right after they join).

Are you able to start a match from the Multiplayer->Create screen? Does it output any errors in the console (accessed with ` or shift+esc) when trying to connect to a server?

ut99 > xonotic
now stop posting your shitty twitch shooter

bump

whoops

Not my fault that the most UTfags seem to do for their game, is shitpost about it in other threads.

Lads, should we shill this thread more?

and how would we do that? TF2V is already extremely popular

Threads get attention when there's posting activity.
But in general, maybe some new events going on or whatever. Newbie Night only died out because people started coming in regardless, but I think everyone tires out of FFA DM and should really start picking other modes.

Nope, just sits there and times out. The server end sees it trying to connect though. I've even gone as far as trying to make sense of the source code but nothing in there seems like an obvious problem either.

2004 > 99

why do people do this?

I don't know about Lainchan's server, but Holla Forums Pacific doesn't have that in order to keep the initial downloads to a minimum.

True but there are other servers that do that shit.

Also going to pack up and dump the server's map files (roughly 1.1 GB) for the new host user for the European server(s).

They're probably wanting new content to make their server stand out from the others.

Going alphabetically

Maps starting with a
u.teknik.io/KnnDt.zip

a-c (before cts)
u.teknik.io/6jA9J.zip

cts_
u.teknik.io/3IGaP.zip

c-h
u.teknik.io/Ab5ZS.zip

i-n
u.teknik.io/aniDg.zip

o-z is coming up.

b-c *

o-z
u.teknik.io/Z6cye.zip

a new eastern us server is coming up! and after that i will try to make a eu server

fucking REEEEEE

wew
I thought eastern was Eastern Europe.

On the server and looking to duel.

We can call them dumb plebs for playing cuck fortress and tell them to join a game for real men like Xonotic.

That just sounds like a way to pointlessly start shit with getting the opposite effect in terms of getting people to play.

Bump. We need that euro server ASAP.

i might not be able to host one, as my card does not work outside of the US. hopefully someone else can though

alright, eastern US server is online!
99.123.155.136:26000

Can you set the server's irc to announce when players join, and not to announce map changes when its empty?

bump
i think we should do noob night again

bump

Fuck, then someone should ASAP.
Wait, I know certain Dutch teen who could be willing.

Hosting resource for Dutch teen or whoever.
>>>/radcorp/125
I can walk through the server set-up also.

Fuck, his imageboard is gone. Tsuki abandoned me just when I needed him the most. Faggot kid only is a hassle to me.

Ok, but it ought to involve something other than deathmatch.

Does the server still have a 2v2 mode? Regulars can spam get the megas and newbies can get a good taste of the game. With an east coast server, eu west and us west can all play with good pings.

Checking mad digits

It still does. The Holla Forums servers have the same config.

I love the Holla Forums experience.

Anyone else notice that the rifle weapon doesn't shoot where the reticle is pointing?
Also what does the grapple hook's alt-fire do?

I notice these sorts of things happen if there's high latency and if the weapon used is hitscan.

No, I mean the gun literally shoots half a centimetre to the lower right of where the reticle is pointing, even in offline custom games.

US EAST SERVER is laggy as

That's not normal. Make sure your resolution isn't something unusual or try setting a custom reticle. The secondary on hook creates a tiny black hole that pins players, making for easy follow-up shots.

US East admin says he knows what the problem is and will fix it as soon as he can.

don't worry, i am fixing the problems

eastern us server is not laggy anymore, feel free to join

Can we get a version of the second map that doesn't destroy shitty mobile GPUs? There's gotta be a baseline for map performance. Aside from that, these new maps are really good.

I could just make a completely different map that has some of the same concepts, except less of what would require rendering reflections. But with the current map I don't know the compromise between being able to have loads of warpzones (& combat centric to being able to aim through them) and toaster integrity (less reflections).

It is possible to disable only the water reflections by deleting the lines containing 'dp_water' from the water shaders.

If the creators of the game are reading this: fix damn numpad.
Also remove autoregeneration of health and decay of armor.
Other than that: pretty fine quake knock-off

I doubt they are. There's two devs in the same irc channel as the server, but that's about it (it's still fine and of no consequence to say nigger, faggot, etc on the server, if there's any concern).

This can be turned off by server admins, along with everything else regarding balance. But I recall that being a leftover of Nexuiz and the point of them keeping it was for maintaining mobility.

it's been awhile since I've played this
is it possible to have team freeze tag with rails only?
when introducing new/casual players to Quake that always seemed to be a good mode that allowed everyone to have some fun without getting crushed too bad

Can I play this on an ARM or POWER based machine?

Was this really a problem on Holla Forums servers? It's likely possible, but it completely removes weapon combo'ing if it's Vortex/Railgun only, enough people don't take advantage of that already.

What about it do you consider broken?
It's not really a "knock-off" since it's a direct descendent of Quake.

You can play freezetag in instagib or a vortex (the railgun) weaponarena. Weaponarena mode isn't very popular, so I would suggest instagib instead.

You're probably going to have to compile the game to find out since I don't think they are officially supported.

Yes, but you need a GPU that supports OpenGL.
archive.is/lEAgE#selection-25969.8-25985.363

Eastern US Server is now a lot less laggy™! come join now!

Can you add or edit this line in rcon2irc
plugins = joinsparts.pl
That way the server announces joins and disconnects.

FUCK
so because of this, i might have to leave the server off today. "Sorry for any inconvenience"

>dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic&server=98.176.82.170:26000
The ip address on this link is now outdated.

That happens, just check the xonotic link at the top of that page to look for the new address. Server is up.

What happened to some of the posts in this thread?

BZFlag happened.

Downloading rn
Also bump

v-eastern is crawling with players right now, come join

Thread needs more pics.

Obviously since last year, the server activities have declined. Yet Xonotic generally is visible on Holla Forums.
So the spur of conversation & for those that did, why have you (stopped) playing Xonotic?
What are some courses of action, described previously or haven't been yet that should be taken and which should be avoided like the plague?

This to a T. This is the only acceptable answer. The noobs would have had to have had their asses kicked multiple times over several sessions before the play or don't play question raises in their minds. I can't remember or find what the exact percentage is, but in order to keep even the worst players engaged they need to win about a third of all sessions they've been in or else they won't play period. Of course that's really oversimplified, ignoring player to player interactions, how much the bastards die in a session, whatever else. The player base will continue to contract as the best get better by sharpening their knives on each other and no amount of new blood is going to do much because they'll get curbstomped by the existing playerbase UNLESS the devs are willing to go the street fighter route and turn everyone into daigo by loosening the tolerances for absolutely everything imaginable.

Enforced handicaps will kill the game guaranteed. And if they're optional, on some level, those that are actually competent or even good will know they're gimping themselves and no amount of ego boost with a number in a column by their name will do much to offset that reality, unless they're redditors. I don't actually know much about the larger xonotic community so I can only imagine that this ELO thing the third screencap mentioned is their equivalent of karma. Also I can't help but think that if the idea of "ethical playing" takes hold you'll see servers pop up with admins that get a big dick by telling good players to take a certain handicap or else bannu.

Opening the floodgates with a steam release is probably the best option, since it creates an environment where it's unlikely new players get completely destroyed. This will change the average server makeup from largely skilled to minimally skilled. The extant skilled players can only pubstomp so many at once, so there's a possibility some new arrivals stick around to play with each other. But then you run the risk of alienating the skilled players so it boils down to pick your poison.

i definently agree with this guy. i am a total newb at Xonotic, but i have some experience with some FPS games. i can only imagine what others would go through when they play Xonotic for the first time and get absolutely obliterated, but i think the best way to learn is to do the singleplayer campaigns with easy bots, then normal, then get on multiplayer.

It's their equivalent of matchmaking rating, except there's no formal matchmaking system in Xonotic. It's sometimes used in match ups for the IRC pickup games, but outside of it, there's little practical use. However, some people still grind for them for stats page flair.

If you ask me, the average public game player in Xonotic is actually unskilled (might be because the chunk of its visibility is linux repositories). There's a significant chunk of the playing community, at least in North America, and then there being a portion of moderately skilled players. And a small clique of professionals/tournyfags. The popular game modes that are played are considered casual e.g ffa deathmatch or instagib, and may lead to bad habits overall.

I started playing last year and it's a little clear that some of the names I came to recognize from public games, have clearly stagnated or roughly remained the same in playing ability e.g one of those forum posters is a middle aged mom who played the predecessor game (10+ years ago) with her kids.

For any anons out there who have shied away from playing or who have quit but kinda wanna get back in, I'm a duel autist (not tourney good, but I do okay outside of that) and can answer questions.

Honestly I think the main issue with new players coming into xonotic is that they think it's all speed and reflexes. In reality, a lot of good players certainly have both, but use a lot of knowledge to get the frags they do. If you know what items are up, and can predict your opponent's movements, you don't even need to really look where you're shooting, and that's where a lot of the really great flick shots come from. It's also worth noting that once you have decent momentum, you can line up your shots pretty well, so between that and taking spam shots at popular routes, you can really do a number on your opponent.

Just a couple important things for starters:
Megas are 30sec, 50s are 25sec and are immensely important if you cant get the mega, switching weapons allows you to fire them faster, no the shotgun is not a good weapon to charge in with off of spawn (but if you're lucky/clever you can get a cheeky frag with it)

The most used weapons I see for long-term players are mortar, vortex and devatator. The best movement tricks to learn are rampjump (easy) and circlejump (will take practice). All you need outside of that is +forward while you jump and dont hold that shit unless you intend to move in a particular direction. If you lose momentum or get shoved in another direction, stop jumping for a moment and then start your +forward+jump again

These are the things I see newbies struggle with most often

We should do Newbie Nights again.
pic related, old flyer

However, ffa deathmatch, even though it constantly gets voted as the staple game mode during newbie nights, is not the way to go.

We've always had a handful of new and untrained guys that we can get in contact with, but we've largely failed to get them playing together or generally anons don't ask for newbie/low-skill matches in thread.
What would be our new plan to not fuck that up?

i guess disabling deathmatch, if we are able to do that, or at least limit the number of times that it can get voted on.
also update that to include the eastern server

Has more to do with the structure of the event I think. Previously we had the experienced players sit out and give tips to the new players. E.g I think we should have small-scale team deathmatch with experienced players as team captains. That way new players can see higher level tactics in play and learn from that.

I don't entirely want to remove deathmatch from the mode vote. I'd think that changing the placement on menu may help, yet it may not adequately force players on some variety.

it's the marketing m8
open source games have less exposure than even the smallest of memerdevs on Twitter

reminder that the game activities in Red Eclipse exploded when Vsauce shouted them out, before activity completely crashed and then went back to its usual downward 5 degree slope

They do have a Twitter. Though, they're not exactly kicking up drama and having crazy meltdowns.

That's the thing. With a one-man (or small team) dev project, you don't have to worry about going hogwild with shitposts and/or making stupid observations and dumb roasts. With a collaborative F/OSS game, rocking the boat in that manner is the absolute last thing that you want to do. Even the ones that border to this like the Frogatto team, only keep it self-contained to its miniscule 'fanbase'.

I think I remember hearing about something like that happening to Xonotic with the same exact outcome.

NEW NEWB NIGHT TIMES
8pm to 10pm (eastern US) every Thursday and Friday
graphic coming soon

NEW NEWB NIGHT TIMES
8pm to 10pm every Thursday and Friday
new graphic coming soon

We're supposed to have a little more planning and consensus before starting right away and advertising the servers for it. I.e especially making sure that one of the server's bandwidth wasn't going to be congested, and you didn't even make the time zones clear prior.

Back-to-school

Yesterday when impromptu newbie night was a-go. The server's host name tag was updated to say Newbie Night. However, the only people that came in was a European tourneyfag, and two long-time-will-stomp-newbs-but-not-great-either.

To put newbie night in the hostname tag or not?

I'm biased against it because I prefer we get newbies from Holla Forums thus more likely to stick around than playing one or two times and never seen again (essentially wasted effort to coach). And it's likely going to draw in the point farmer(s).

new graphic.
Obviously don't shill it yet because the grid lines haven't been removed, neither have the details been finalized. Are the details i.e schedules agreeable? This shouldn't be a 100% noob safe space event either, we need experienced players playing on both teams in TDM, in spectators, etc. If we can't get experienced players or server regulars on, I don't think these times should be as is.

As for part two of the impromptu newbie nights

I don't think bots should be nerfed. They're toughened up with varying bots at different skill levels so they can fill in uneven teams semi-competently (while still disadvantaged compared to players since they have limited movement capabilities and lack natural intelligence). Their settings and skill levels in the original server cfg lets them do some crucial few things that new players can learn from. The bots punishing aimless roaming, charging straight at the nearest target with spawn weapons, etc and not piling up in a single room nips retard playstyles at the bud.

You mean like the majority of players from gamenight?

The list of random people from the server browser, who would regularly visit the server isn't exactly long.

Sep 16 19:31:00 tdm_silentsiege has begun (10 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000Sep 16 19:56:18 + join: AcbnSep 16 19:56:22 helloSep 16 19:56:33 + join: nearlyepicSep 16 20:01:11 good gameSep 16 20:01:18 bad gameSep 16 20:01:46 - part: nearlyepicSep 16 20:01:52 your buddy?Sep 16 20:01:57 tdm_darkzone has begun (10 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000Sep 16 20:03:47 + join: BubblesSep 16 20:04:57 - part: Acbn
>stats.xonotic.org/game/914503

Might be better to do friday every two weeks to avoid /radcorp/ scheduling issues. A weekly thursday will probably be inconsistent but might work. Inconsistency could further the perception of dead game.

Bots are fine if newbies pick up weapon knowledge or movemement before playing but it might be helpful to lower their accuracy for newbie-only games. Is it possible to put that on a vote?

The average bot actually has very low accuracy (e.g 0 - 15% vortex depending on which one it is, the few exceptional ones have 20 - 30%), but they're typically on the mark for grabbing items which is the primary reason they would dominate a new player.

Consider this excerpt from when the bots were nerfed on Holla Forums US East.
Sep 15 17:41:17 im in boston lolSep 15 17:41:41 ebin> well at least your ping is goodSep 15 17:42:08 ebin> must be something with splat's networkSep 15 17:42:17 man this is easySep 15 17:42:29 ebin> it's newb nightSep 15 17:42:31 ebin> thats whySep 15 17:42:34 noob weeeeek
Oddly, same guy from

What I need to know if we can get experienced players on the server for those times, at minimum, one per team.

maybe mon-wed newbie nights, friday or saturday tourney night? something more competitive regularly so we can get both ends. It'd probably be more popular than the ladder where you already know who will win each match most of the time, so it does not get played.

Updates to the server.
I can bring back Clan Arena on request, it's that no one really plays it and everyone prefers FT more.

We can have an additional competitive event sometime in the week.
As for Newbie Night, now we got:

If there's that much variation then leave it up to a weekly poll. Forums mentioned an insta tournament. Wouldn't mind seeing events more often.

Why would you play this over QuakeWorld or Q3A?

Well VQ3 is boring as sin, for starters. As for playing it over QW, there's a number of QoL improvements, if you're not big on the stack gap QW offers this makes it less egregious and the weapons are different. There's also a greater focus on speed/verticality and weapon combos and you have seamless teleporters (like in portal) so you can really fuck with map geo
Also you can do all the movement tricks while crouching

I've seen people say Xonotic is similar to it and CPM, but don't know exact details. I played on a Xonotic server running Quake 1 co-op, but that's about it.

Why would you not know who would win in a properly seeded bracket, or round robin tournament if it's mainly the same people participating?

You probably would, but you don't have to "challenge" someone to have a match get played or try to find them in the first place to challenge them and schedule. If it's just a weekly event you don't have to worry about scheduling and stuff, just show up if you're available, much easier.

Does the fact that it is meant to be enabled on a server-by-server basis change your opinion at all?

Does the fact that ur stupid change your opinion at all?

The win:loss ratios can be helped immediately if FFA wasn't the staple mode played.

rip

how is this allowed to be merged? can I merge an optional aimbot?

I haven't touched the game in a while, but by god, I hope that is feature not on by default.

*and only server/host side.

No. Merge this in.
We Halo now.
Yolo.

The reason why I setup the ladder is because a lot of the duel players have weird schedules, so it's hard to get everyone online at the same time

Also I said this in IRC last night but with regards to the handicap shit, I've never seen a community where sandbagging is considered "ethical". In fact, elsewhere it's considered a little patronizing/condescending

I don't think this is a big issue for regular tournaments, because you don't need everyone every time, I don't think it should be focused on high skill players, just being competitive at any skill. The issue I think is bigger is lows scared to enter.

Can we iron out these details.
I'll make a separate and also aesthetically pleasing image for the weekly "competitive" event. I'd like to knock off weekly Thurs, fortnightly Fridays because it's harder to keep track of. For radcorp stuff, its not an issue since it either happens or not, and they list explicit dates which makes sense since they do different games each time.

Maybe I'm just not understanding the logic here

Polling this.
poal.me/338zfi

This might not be a normal understanding since the average game out there has matchmaking and whatever. And I slightly get the feeling that people only play afps for a short ego boost because of the reputation of the genre being hardcore (without recognizing the casual game modes or modifications per server).

is this the dark souls of FPS games?

alright, until this poll is completed, newbie night on East US will be on Thursday and Friday.

No. It's the Cuphead of FPS.

what the fuck is he doing?

>

Can the Holla Forums East server admin git pull the latest server config and bot waypoints?

SPLAT regularly asks who wants to feed him frags in irc. When he joined the ladder he challenged everyone in it. He doesn't consider any matches to be a waste of time, as far as I'm aware
And the thing is, even when there were people getting into duel, new players didn't want to join, and that's when it was done in possibly the least competitive structured format possible

well I'm not talking about SPLAT, I'm talking about the people challenging him. The point would just be to have an event where you get matches given to you, not where you have to actively challenge people. If people aren't competitive and don't want to play that's fine I guess, but there should be something regular and competitive for people who do want it, because it doesn't just happen on it's own right now.

Ok so we got Thurs & Fri Newbie Nights; and Saturday "Tourneyfag" Day, what exactly are we calling this?

updated the config for east us!

"Tourneyfag Day" is a good enough name, we should keep it like that

Since the times are decided on, here's the pretty image for Newbie Nights.

We will be playing Team Deathmatch, or generally team games, maybe Duel, maybe CTS. We don't have to ostracize experienced players for a day or so because they have a place on each team and can demonstrate high level play. We won't be playing free-for-all Deathmatch since it starts the trend of rushing at the nearest target with spawn weapons, ignoring key items, and other bad habits that get punished easily. So if the vote ever comes up, do vote for the other modes over that.

If you're going to post these images around, don't be obnoxious about it i.e don't blank post or start up pointless shit in other threads.

Alright Newbie Night is starting. There's a few players on the server currently, excluding myself. If Eastern gets network related problems because of hurricane conditions or whatever contingency. Pacific is available.

tonight's newbie night was pretty fun, we got a couple of new players and ran into some problems with the leaderboards, but they should be fixed now.

but why

Now that you mention it.
It looks exactly like.

We kinda just ignore that and keep playing. Dude looks like some faggot upset or looking to start shit. Hell might be assblasted still upset that vintage's popularity is on the rise

Sep 23 19:17:30 has the apocalypse happened yet?Sep 23 19:17:53 apparently notSep 23 19:18:13 hey [-z-] Sep 23 19:44:28 hiSep 23 19:44:42 i want u to play my mpSep 23 19:44:45 map*Sep 23 19:44:56 tomorrow, was about to go to sleepSep 23 19:45:08 ok bring mario or your friendsSep 23 19:45:27 can you link me to it?Sep 23 19:45:35 forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=7521&action=lastpostSep 23 19:45:46 nice oneSep 23 19:45:50 k, gn
Alright we're playing with the devs tomorrow (depends whether or not Holla Forums was right about the world ending). Team Deathmatch, 2s or whatever based on how many friends he has.

Cool. Didn't want to have some shitposting crossfire happening.

Well? Don't leave us in suspense. Were they right or not?

I still continue to draw breath from this earth, and my surrounding community appears unaffected. However user did get married to his waifu in VR.
>>>/a/736923

Can't say the same thing about the devs, I think he may have perished during the cataclysm or passed out from overdosing on jump autism.

Also saw this in the morning
Sep 23 23:13:16 >one player listed on browserSep 23 23:13:18 wait whatSep 23 23:13:22 are you human playersSep 23 23:13:41 why is there a bot called unregistered playerSep 23 23:13:59 killed flagcarrier (l:MachineGun)Sep 23 23:14:01 killed flagcarrier (l:25 Health)Sep 23 23:14:03 dropped flag (l:Strength Powerup)Sep 23 23:14:04 dropped flag (l:Strength Powerup)Sep 23 23:14:04 dropped flag (l:Strength Powerup)Sep 23 23:14:04 dropped flag (l:Strength Powerup)Sep 23 23:14:05 killed flagcarrier (l:MachineGun)Sep 23 23:14:05 dropped flag (l:Strength Powerup)Sep 23 23:14:07 dropped flag (l:Strength Powerup)Sep 23 23:14:08 killed flagcarrier (l:MachineGun)Sep 23 23:14:42 - part: I II II I_
wat do? I used to poll for schedules, people largely stopped using it. We have the issue of anons coming online at completely random hours not finding people to play with.
Also people stopped posting when they're going on the server.
Let's at least do that again?

Post each time you plan on being online a few hours. Not everyone will do that but lurkers always show when there's good thread activity so this is highly recommend for those looking to play with other newbies and semi-newbies.

Requesting your best mario images and webbums.

I'm on the server with echoes guy.

We encountered /a/ faggot.

I'm on the server with 3 other peeps.

No problem, some of the faggots still clinging to TF2C are upset no one wants to deal with their bullshit. Might be them or someone just random stirring shit or trying to

6 players still on the server.

reminder that implosion and furious are still counted as DM maps in the votelist

I'm not sure about this one.

A bit off-topic for this thread but does anyone know what's the legal state of such games like Xonotic? As in completely rip-off another game's mechanics, weapons, levels but make them look and sound different?

he's not wrong

what exactly did it ripoff? xonotic's weapons and mechanics are all unique

It's a fork of Nexuiz, which is also free and open source and largely by the same developers. Which the legal dispute that occurred was two previous lead developers selling the rights to Nexuiz to a commercial game company to make a proprietary game. In order not to get sued, the latter party could not have used the original Nexuiz code and assets.
Rest of the Nexuiz devs largely became Xonotic devs.

The game runs on a modified Quake 1 engine, which idTech released to the public on GPL license. As for the custom maps from Quake community that show up on servers, there's a file compatibility that permits it. There's some remakes (largely picked from Quake 1 e.g Aerowalk, Warfare), but whether it's a case of "mod piracy", I don't exactly know.

CTF maps are kinda shit for DM, too large and everything is double spawned. Also has the quad+vort issue most of the time

hey nerds, newb night starts soon
join v-pacific from 8 to 10 PM EST

What else was there?
I don't think the two warpzones near the vortex are pointless. They're meant to be shot through primarily, but if confused people walk through them in circles, its a small perk of not making them red/projectiles-only.

Checked.

This is correct, ID released their engine under GPL so Xonotic is perfectly legal. If a map author never put a license on their map, then they reserve all rights and permission would need to be granted to port it, etc. I don't believe sufficiently different remakes with different names need permission.

As for the style of game, Xonotic is no more a ripoff of quake than unreal tournament or half life deathmatch is. They are not.

Re: vortwarps, you could split those corridors up, or make one a cubby and have the other link into the current devastator cubby. It might make it a bit less deathtrap-y and offer up more spots for items

I'm not visualizing this as a particularly good idea. I'm probably going to keep it as is. New players and instaplayers generally go for Vortex, and try to camp up there so having it be a risky deathtrap isn't a bad idea.

The rationale for that section is currently

Also dev wants a trick jump to the devastator area.

Was thinking like this with the cubby one

One of the big issues with the vortex warpzones is that they're too high up and too far away from the main room to be used the way you want.

Hey, would you lot be up for doing another gamenight again at some point? Probably Decemberish, maybe January. Don't need a firm date right now or anything anyway. They've grown a lot since the first Xonotic gamenight but you were well enough organised the last time that I doubt that'd be a big problem.

Yes, that sounds good. December-ish and January works too (maybe some anons can finish up their larger maps in time for that).

Nice, we can organise more specifically closer to the time and all but I just needed to know base interest. If anything important comes up we're always available over on >>>/radcorp/.

Is Tourneyfag Day™ still happening? If so how is it going to work? What's the plan for choosing the map(s), etc.?

I was talking about Quake III Arena.

Why is it always VQ3 tards?

You might have had a point if you're talking about Quake 1.

Did the devs advertise the game to the bitch ass niggas crowd or what?

We have these people on the server at the moment. Since we're holding newbie night tomorrow, grab your family, friends, neighbors, old clanmates you lost to LoL, random people you have on your steam friend's list but never really talked to, etc.

I will actually be able to come to newbie night tonight, since I will no longer be stressing out over shitty windows certification

We have these people on the server.

t. designated server announcer

7 players on now and randoms dropping by

We have these people on the server.

lms_dieselpower has begun (10 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000 lms_dieselpower ended: HELLO IM NEW TO THIS GAME 0 lms_dieselpower has begun (12 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000 sleepy splat lms_lun3dm2_nex_r1 has begun (12 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000 lms_strength has begun (12 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000 lms_cucumber_v2 has begun (12 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000 + join: DADS lms_cucumber_v2 ended: DADS 666 dm_sewers_v2r3 has begun (12 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000 + join: Space Ace dm_cpm15 has begun (11 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000 - part: Space Ace + join: B + join: Binary - part: B dm_almostlost_ql has begun (11 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000 dm_airwalk_v3 has begun (11 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000 + join: Accu rassi dsawdasswwaww + join: benis - part: Accu rassi dm_runningman has begun (11 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000 - part: DADS WEW] - part: benis dm_stormkeep has begun (12 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000 - part: Binary + join: Matt - part: Matt dm_cpm17 has begun (11 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000 dm_xiYIQ has begun (11 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000 dm_xiYIQ ended: ∞ | sawa卐stika 0, ∞ | Ghosthand 0, ∞ | t0rEADOr 0, ∞ | Unregestered Player 0 dm_downer_final_r1 has begun (11 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000 + join: TERMINATOR dm_cpm10_nex_r1 has begun (11 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000 + join: Mika😭😉😈 tdm_glowplant has begun (11 free slots); join now: xonotic +connect 98.176.82.170:26000 + join: Artemy🔫i😠❌🔫kkokt7i kr9ikytir 09i95t0i9oikoki5r9ro9🔫 - part: Artemy🔫i😠❌🔫kkokt7i kr9ikytir 09i95t0i9oikoki5r9ro9🔫 - part: Mika😭😉😈 + join: * is now known as Player#18 - part: Player#18 + join: Pyro🔥🔥🔥 - part: Pyro🔥🔥🔥

there's almost no similarities with q3

Public Service Announcement, for those who haven't caught on already

If you exclusively play Instagib, don't expect to be good at Vanilla, because you haven't been working on basically any of the skillsets it uses. You have not practiced movement, you have not practiced with the weapons or weapon combos, you have not practiced on the maps or with items. You will be better than some players with one gun and on every other front you will need to improve to be competitive.

It is imperative that you come into this assuming you will play at the level of a new/inexperienced player player, because that's what you are

This has got to be the only game [genre] community with people like this. I never see DOTA players say WC3 is too hard/takes too long to learn/skill ceiling too high/ because they played DOTA for years but were bad in WC3.

Remember guys, it's about the new/casual players not getting shitstomped by experienced ones, and not at all about a single contributor's preferences

Right?

they could do what automato did
one button to toggle auto aim on/off
during autoaim bullets go to the closest/most at center enemy but trying to shoot without target/outside of range causes it to spray around

Is it just me or does the usual git gud attitude come to a complete stop and do a 180 when the game in question is afps?