Armored Core thread

I want to play these games but I'm on PC and there seems to be a shitload of them. What's the best order to play them in, which games are filler, and do you have any tips for emulating and playing them?

I also have questions about Armored Core.
When do the games stop being like Armored Core 2? Which ones of the PS2 games are good?

thank

More like Armored… SNORE. #REKT

You can pretty much pick up any of the games since every major numbered entry soft-reboots the franchise.
The PS1 games are pretty good but janky because it was PS1 era FromSoft.
The PS2 games are where it's at starting at 2.
2's expandalone Another Age is considered by some to be the peak of the franchise.
Others swear by 3 and Silent Line.
Don't bother with Ninebreaker and Nexus unless you really desperate.
Last Raven is the last game in the 3 subseries and is really good but also extremely hard.

4 and For Answer are really good games, but are where Armored Core stopped being Armored Core and turned into Sonic the Hedgehog on cocaine. V and Verdict Day tone down the sanic, but suffer from being extremely dependent on the MP component which is dead outside of Japan.

Up to Last Raven.

Release order mainly, you can swap out the PS2 versions of 3, Silent Line and Last Raven for the PSP ports since they add more parts but doing this makes it that you miss Nexus. Alternatively you can play the PSP ports of those games and play Nexus on PS2 then go back to Last Raven portable since no save data carriers over from 3/Silent Line. If you do have a PS3/360 sitting around you can pick up 4 and For Answer for around $20 all together but those are more like a typical Gundam game/ ZOE2. Don't bother with V and Verdict Daysince online is dead outside of the JP servers.

V is alright without the multiplayer.
Vd can be ignored despite the final boss being the best.

each numbered entry is a new "generation", with games in the same generation being direct sequels that are essentially standalone expansions where you can bring over your save and resume playing as if it were the same game
The generations go:
(1st gen) Armored Core > Armored Core: Project Phantasma > Armored Core: Master of Arena
(2nd gen) Armored Core 2 > Armored Core: Another Age
(3rd gen) Armored Core 3 > Silent Line: Armored Core
(4th gen) Armored Core: Nexus > Armored Core: Nine Breaker > Armored Core: Last Raven
(5th gen) Armored Core 4 > Armored Core For Answer
(6th gen) Armored Core V > Armored Core Verdict Day

Start with the original on PS1, or Armored Core 2 if you think the original looks and runs like ass (for which I wouldn't really blame you). My recommendation for playing them on emulator would be to look up the controls for Nexus and remap your emulator controller to make the earlier games play the same. Also, Last Raven, the final PS2 game only works in software mode last I checked.

Armored Core 4
All of them.

SOON

If I recall correctly, From's working on three projects at the moment. One is basically all but confrimed to be a new multiplatform AC, the other is Miyazaki's new thing that's also multiplatform (something about space robot ninjas, I dunno but sounds real Warframey), and a PSVR thing.

AC4 and FA are shit! SHIT!

If I recall correctly, From's working on three projects at the moment. One is basically all but confrimed to be a new multiplatform AC, the other is Miyazaki's new thing that's also multiplatform (something about space robot ninjas, I dunno but sounds real Warframey), and the last is a PSVR thing.

Man this TGS is gonna be fucking wild, since Platinum are supposedly also gonna show off new shit.

Ha ha
What the shit codemonkey

Can't wait for DMC5 Dragons Dogma 2

Nexus is the first game without ass controls. It also lets you transfer parts data to Last Raven.

For Answer is not really an AC game, but it's still fun.

No it doesn't.

2 is set after the events of 1 (and Project Phantasma and Master of Arena). 3 is a series reboot. I stopped at Silent Line, but I have yet to beat more than a few missions in 3 (not touching silent line until 3 is done). 4 was where the series went off the rails, becoming largely a flight sim.

Largely, yes, but one of my favorite fights in fA was using an unoptimized AC that couldn't fly endlessly to fight Old King on the flying city. It made the fight a lot more tense. You really shouldn't have to cripple yourself to get that, though.

I had SWF version of vid related somewhere, but can't be assed to search for it.

I mean, you could emulate the ones on PS1. Those were pretty comfy.

I don't know what it's like after that because I only played the firs two games.

Posting best intro.

That music is fucking terrible. I can't even tell what it's supposed to sound like.

I just use an actual PS2 with a 320GB hard drive in it. Pains me to think of all of the PS2s that were pitched out due to having dead lasers, when this solution bypasses the problem entirely.

The PS1 armored core doesn't support analog sticks IIRC so its really tough to control.

Yeah, that's the most jarring bit about playing it again, but eh. You get used to using the shoulder buttons to aim vertically, and strafe.

Nigger

Problem is PS2 Armored Core games look gorgeous in HD, arguably better than PS3 ones.

What's wrong with Nexus?

Just fucking kill me.

I bet you only did every mission with the most efficient load out instead of recreating your favorite Chinese cartoon robot and swapping between load outs for maximum fun.
Last Raven was fun too though.

It checks out.

Your mom shit.

How can a game that's so focused on multiplayer do alright without? They even have the shop tied to to having an internet connection.

Not even close.

Disgraceful.

It still has a campaign mode, you still got missions to play if you chose too. V is probably pennies right now, you may as well.

They are all great, eat a dick you fucking casual millenial

Does the PS2 Armored Core games emulate well?

2 and AA work without major issues but the HUD is still fucked and sometimes (very rarely) some models become invisble and there might be one or two elvels with massive slowdown due to a fullscreen "heat" efect.
AC3/SL is where shit starts getting worse, there's a few levels with unplayable slowdown and a few more with major graphical issues
Nexus seems fixed now and haven't tried LR.

I have V; I had to resort to gorilla tactics to get anywhere before my 360 died. Didn't even find out about the shop being locked to the internet til after.