Nipponese Learning Thread: 百合ドラクエ Edition

So, you wanna learn the Nipponese, huh? Well, you've come to the right thread. You know the drill; All of the relevant resources are available below. It's not an official list or anything, just an OP I threw together from items taken from previous threads. If you have any suggestions on how this list can be improved, then please don't hesitate to say something.

Learn the Kana. Start with Hiragana and then move on to Katakana. Yes, you need both, and yes stroke order is important. Use Realkana or Kana Invaders for spaced repetition. Alternatively, you can use the Anki deck, but I'd recommend the first two. Tae Kim has a Kana diagram on his website, and you can use KanjiVG for pretty much any character.

You have to learn vocabulary and grammar in order to speak and understand the language. Some will tell you to grind the Core2k/6k deck until you're blue in the face, others will tell you that grammar is more important. Truth is, you need both, but it doesn't really matter which one you decide to do first. You're teaching yourself here, so you move at your own pace and do what you're most receptive to. If you want grammar first, then Tae Kim has a great introductory grammar guide, there are numerous grammar related videos in user's all-in-one-Anki-package, IMABI has an active forums and an abundance of information on grammar, and there's always YouTube if you're lazy. On the other hand, if you want to learn vocab first, then grab the Core2k/6k and grind until you're blue in the face. For mnemonics, see Kanji Damage.

That's what these threads are for aside from the obligatory shitposting. You shouldn't assume that anyone here knows more than you, but there are anons here who are willing to help. Try to find shit out on your own, for fuck's sake, but if you're stumped, then maybe someone will have something to say that can point you in the right direction.

Threadly reminder:
YOU CAN LEARN JAPANESE

old DJT guide: docs.google.com/document/d/1H8lw5gnep7B_uZAbHLfZPWxJlzpykP5H901y6xEYVsk/edit#
new DJT guide: djtguide.neocities.org/
pastebin.com/w0gRFM0c

Anki: apps.ankiweb.net/
Core 2k/6k: mega.nz/#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU
Core2k/6k content: core6000.neocities.org/
user's Japanese Learner Anki package: mega.nz/#!14YTmKjZ!A_Ac110yAfLNE6tIgf5U_DjJeiaccLg3RGOHVvI0aIk

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/438270/Learn_Japanese_To_Survive_Hiragana_Battle/
yomikatawa.com/
dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ196613.html
mega.nz/#!a4IkGLYC!QIGiwAFJfNraX0WeLQD84icfhS9xnGySZTA3L-jcSvY
djtguide.neocities.org/kana/index.html
kanji.koohii.com/
lyrics.snakeroot.ru/A/Annabel/annabel_chronicleseven.html
ncf.idallen.com/english.html
learn-japanese-adventure.com/japanese-numbers-age.html
kitsunekko.net/dirlist.php?dir=subtitles/japanese/
sf.airnet.ne.jp/ts/language/number/ancient_japanese.html
animetric.com/Static/Extras/Yuribou-Hentai-Dictionary.html
dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/120871/meaning/m0u/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

too lewd
Also, why is tokubetsu in katakana, to emphasize it?

Probably.

How was that? Guessing shit, though regardless I won't be getting to it for a while between DraQue 11 and Joker 3 Pro

It's pretty good actually. It's like Minecraft if it actually had a goal and a story.

I for one absolutely hated it. It's a huge chore of a game.

Most of my non basic english I've learned from games like Ultima Underworld and Runescape. Is there something similar to japanese? Thing is I tried learning German a few years ago, I nearly aced most of the tests and now I barely remember any of it because I rarely use the language, unlike English.

Minecraft is that cell phone game that kids like? Looks terrible, from what I gather you don't actually do anything, and if it's entirely controlled by touch screen, there's no way I'd ever be able to play it.

How so?

Are you that Japanese guy who's always pretending to be retarded? Cut it out.

If it's the game I'm thinking of, I always see some of the younger students playing it on their smartphones. If it's something else, I apologize.

monaty is cute!!

Have some homework.

Holy shit that animation is bad.

What the fuck is this?

It's basically minecraft in third person, and equally uninteresting. There's a few things it added most notably:
Quests which as I've said feel more like chores. Basically the "get x" or "craft x" kind of quests, over and over throughout the entire game.
Town building, which is arguably the most interesting aspect of the game but it's not properly expanded upon. Your town is limited to be a certain x by z in size, but can be expanded vertically as far as you want (I think).

The combat is just as shitty as minecraft's and the game makes you fight often. I remember what made me stop playing was having to fight some sort of ice giant enemy with a huge hitbox armed with sword with a shitty tiny hitbox. I had allied NPCs but they're completely worthless. The fight would've taken 10+ minutes to complete and that point (chapter 4 of 5 if I recall correctly) I was done hoping the game would get better. That's 10 minutes of dodging and doing your 3 slash combo by the way, because that's as complex as the combat gets.

As a last small complaint, whenever you need to go in the cave the camera shits itself because going into a cramped space in third person doesn't fucking work. This is why minecraft was first person.

ひいです

Ah, so its like a Bethesda game?

Is 10 new vocab and 5 new kanji a day too slow? I have to balance my studies with a fulltime job and a few hobby projects so finding the time isn't easy, but I read on the DJT guide that it's not unusual to clear Core 2K in 3 months, and I'm only at about 1200 at that point.

No such thing.

As long as you keep at it every day and make sure to do your anki reps well, you'll make progress. As you study and learn more vocab you'll be able to absorb it much faster

Well enough, it's about as I'd figured. I'm still making solid and consistent progress and that's what counts.

So I learned hiragana using this gaym: store.steampowered.com/app/438270/Learn_Japanese_To_Survive_Hiragana_Battle/

and won a 10% off coupon. Wat do?

The guide with all you need is in the OP nigger, don't pay for anything, it's not worth it

So far the Custom Robo translation seems pretty accurate aside from some pronunciation based puns.

How did they handle that in the official translation?

I pirated it, where do you think you are?

No idea, I don't have the English version.

Here's a site you can use to find the reading for any kanji soup you come across. It can save you a lot of headache.
yomikatawa.com/

Don't knock RPG Maker, lots of Japanese doujin eroge made in it are solid.

Honestly? Without other outside sources?

Hiragana is really easy to learn.

Again, never played Minecraft, though if it's what I think it is, it did look awful, though what you're describing sounds plenty bad enough.

wasn't LISA made in RPG maker?

Fuck off. That's my rebuttal.

(or at least make it seem a little less like you're just using default assets please because that's low effort as fuck and just further lowers steam's already rock bottom perception of quality control)

ザッザッザッザッザッザッザッザッ

Yume nikki and violated heroine come to mind

I hope she comes back in season 2

If it can fly it will make a cameo

I have finally gotten two hundred mature cards for the 2k/6k deck, and it feels kinda nice. I still know absolutely nothing, but I can often figure out a few things by seeing which kanji are in it. Things are slow, but they're steady, which is much better than nothing at all. You guys can do this, you just have to keep at it.

What is this meme

Been at it for a few months, can confirm it's much easier to stay encouraged if you maintain a routine and never break it. I can make out entire sentences here and there, depending on complexity, the gears grease themselves.

Keep up the great work, buddy, we're gonna get there eventually.

Why do you guys not suspend cards? If I encounter a word that I couldn't possibly ever forget, like 始め, I suspend it because I feel like I'm wasting time otherwise. Is this wrong?
Since I'm using Core 2k Step 1, which is only 1000 cards, how do I combine Step 2/3/etc into the ones that I've completed when the time comes? If I just add the deck to my list of decks, it'll be a bit of a mess, won't it?

Suspending the obvious cards is definitely a good move. Suspend the katakana loanwords, too.

Keep in mind Katakana loanwords aren't all English, like アルバイト, and even the ones that are might not be what you think - デパート, for instance, is "department store"

Hey guys, trying to learn hiragana. Any tips?

I was having trouble remembering stuff earlier but then I just associated images with the sounds of the words, which helped a lot. Anki is helping somewhat, but not a whole lot.

Also, I heard you should not focus so much on writing the hiragana because it makes learning slower. Apparently some people say you should focus more on memorizing and recognizing hiragana. Do you believe this is true?

Depends on your learning style. Some people learn easier by writing it, some don't.

Don't see the point of suspending them. The way SRS works is that the words you know well will hardly ever show up anyway. Like 2+ yrs later.

Only just started this, but it seems like a pretty good dungeon crawler.
dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ196613.html

Uploaded it to Mega if anyone wants it for Nip practice:
mega.nz/#!a4IkGLYC!QIGiwAFJfNraX0WeLQD84icfhS9xnGySZTA3L-jcSvY

+1. Just press easy, it'll get out of your face pretty quick. Plus that way, if you ever happen to forget it, it'll show up sooner or later. Maybe it's only me who is retarded, but I can forget anything…

Hows the combat? The screenshots on DLsite don't really give any information. The CGs and portraits look scrump though, so I might be convinced to struggle through it.

Turn based, but you can only manually control one girl at the start of the game. It says you can control the others when you level them up.

Each move has a limited number of uses ala Fire Emblem or SaGa, but the limit seems to go up as you use them. There's also a field effect thing that changes as the battle goes on.

Seems pretty basic, but that's just fine. I'll definitely give this a shot.

How's the Japanese level, so far? On the sliding scale of Yotsubato to Nisioisin wordplay, how would you rate it?

Mid-high level I guess, as expect from an 18+ game.

I don't see how writing would make learning slower. I get a lot of benefit from writing things out. You don't exactly need to spend a ton of time getting hiragana perfect before you learn other things anyway, since you will be seeing it constantly. You can practice with the thing on the DJT site too.
djtguide.neocities.org/kana/index.html

It might save me some time, hmmm…

I guess I was taking it too seriously, and relying on Anki not to reintroduce themselves until it mathematically calculates I'm at risk of forgetting, but do you really think that's a good idea?

This guy again. Yeah, what I was getting at was the sort of thing that

was talking about. If I have a high degree of mastery on a card, I don't think I'll lose time on it just because of how rarely it'll show up.

You cannot learn Japanese. It takes at least 4 years on average to learn, and then it will take 4 more years of working among them to truly learn their accent. Learning Japanese through online courses or anime is absolutely impossible.

have you ever considered that maybe i want to learn for entirely recreational and text-based purposes and maybe i have no use for an accent

So I'm considering putting my Kanji writing on hold for now as I don't think I personally stand to pragmatically gain much from knowing it and it costs me about an hour a day.

Are there any compelling reasons for me to keep at it if I'm going to be typing instead of handwriting?

About how many kanji do you review a day?

Around 50 plus 5 new ones.

I do about the same amount per day and it only takes me like 15 minutes. What makes it take you an hour?

Poor retention, reviewing of mnemonics, repeat cards, people annoying me on Discord, heh.

These numbers aren't *quite* accurate because I often leave the prompt open sometimes while something else has my attention.

Try the mnemonics on this site, they might help you remember better.
kanji.koohii.com/

And try not to miss days, that just makes the reviews pile up. You could also lower new cards to 0 for a while.

Those two points are probably pretty pertinent. My reviews just shot up because I reintroduced my leeches to my normal deck.

Thanks a ton for the link, hopefully that makes a difference.

When I first started out I didn't even have a set quota of new cards. I just suspended all the cards to start with, and would unsuspend them as I learned them. Maybe that will help too.

As you learned them? You mean, from seeing them in other media and stuff? That sounds pretty high maintenance, it'd be really time consuming to jump back, find a Kanji and unsuspend a kanji every time you see it, don't you think?

No, I was following the book Remembering the Kanji. I mean as I got up to them in that book.

Ah, I see. With all my other obligations I honestly don't trust myself to sit down and read through a big Kanji book that way. Forcing new exposure into my daily routine in a consistent way like this has been the best way to keep a schedule so I don't fall off the boat.

Whatever works for you. Ultimately it doesn't matter how you learn, as long as you do.

True that. What I need to do is make time for that grammar deck, that's probably my biggest shortcoming right now, but there's so much text on every card to read and comprehend that I couldn't possibly do all the reviews it's asking me to every single day.

Any advice?

How would a grammar deck even work? The best way to learn grammar is just to read.

What, and cross-reference the grammatical bits I don't understand online? Fair enough, I was just using this one because the OP pasta sincerely recommended it.

Yeah, use Tae Kim for grammar. Anki is more for words and small things you can easily memorize, not complex concepts like grammar.

After almost half a year of diligent study I have found that my biggest bane are near-synonym words, that have the same meaning on paper but vary in subtle nuance or implications. For example, both 付近 and 近所 mean "neighborhood" but the former seems to be more like "neighboring place", i.e. something nearby. It's frustrating at times.

That's fair, and honestly kinda helps justify my not really seeing the appeal of that deck. I've read through Tae Kim and Japanese the Manga way and refer to them often enough so I'm getting along, I just need to expose myself more and go at it a little harder for retention's sake.

You don't have to read every sentence in the grammar deck every time you see a card. I certainly don't. I just make quick notes for new cards, and often won't read much of anything on the review cards if I'm comfortable with it. You'll be seeing the shit again anyway so there shouldn't be much pressure. The deck is a nice resource, but some of the content is basically just vocabulary which can be learned other ways.

Sensible enough. It's just tough to decide whether to really dig back into something or just gloss over it. I could probably stand to start marking the ones I'm most comfortable with as easy, I have a habit of playing too safe and just going with good instead so I don't risk forgetting, which ultimately raises my reviews.

I never use Easy, I think it spaces the reviews out too much.

That's the vibe I was getting, I only use it for things like Katakana loan words from English. Too long on anything else and I'll likely have forgotten.

Plus if you mark them Good enough times, they'll eventually get up to year intervals anyway.

These x10

Why would I want to learn Japanese to talk to people? I just want to read and write, maybe listen.

because it's fun. Once you really get into the swing of it, it just becomes everyday routine. I am at the point where I do around 200 reviews a day, but it's really rewarding when you see pages and pages filled with thousands of kanji you were able to write from memory.

You really can't do much if you don't know the kanji, and it only takes a few months to get the basic 1900 down. I started at the end of February, and I have about 2300 memorized.

The everyday routine really is a motivator for me. I have about sixty consecutive days of studying, but I usually feel really uncomfortable until I study for the day, enough so that most of my study hours are in the early morning before class or work. I also find it incredibly fun to learn a new word and hear or see it in some media.

A lot of people have called me a shill but I've really found WaniKani to be worth the $50 per year. It doesn't really do anything that anki doesn't (except provide their own mnemonics and example sentences) but I find their leveling system and forced reviews to be something that keeps me motivated. I don't get to pick whether or not I want to study - I wake up to a hundred or more reviews and if I don't do them tomorrow it'll be double that.

Consistency really does help and once you get into a routine you realize that kanji really aren't that big a deal to learn.

This is true. And as they get more complicated they actually become more fun to write.

How do I work on remembering stroke order, and making everything balanced? When I started, I wrote every new kanji I came across, but I often found them more confusing because they were usually lopsided and odd looking.

You just have to keep practicing. You'll get a feel for stroke order after a while, so you won't even have to think about it anymore.

Stroke order is actually fairly consistent, with only the odd exception here and there. Once you do a few dozens you'll start getting the feel for it.

lewd

Thank you, I will put it out of my mind then.

No clue.

I've seen worse.

I've been getting them all a little bit right, and a little bit wrong, but ultimately not really knowing it all that well, so it keeps eating time and energy i could have spent on new stuff.

What gets under my skin are those kanji that have a bunch of on-yomi that are either completely or just slightly different and there's fuck all way to remember them.

Can someone help me make sense of this fucking phrase from pic related?

[たちまち市民権を得たヒーローは世論に押される形で公的職務に定められる]

Also any tips/advices for reading? 80% of the time i think i'm fucking up

Fucking slants

It's open till September 29th here.

Let's look at it word by word:

たちまち - instantly, in a flash
市民権 - the more common definition is "citizenship" but it can also refer to a more general sense of acceptance, which given the context is more likely.
得た - acquired, past tense of 得る
世論 - what the public has to say
押される - Passive form of 押す, which is to push or put pressure on, which can be both literal like pushing a button, or figurative, like pressuring someone to do something.
形 - shape or form, again both in the literal and figurative senses
公的 - public, official
職務 - job, profession
定められる - passive of 定める, to decide or establish.

So considering the definitions, and the context of the earlier lines, which were setting up the history of the Boku no Hero Academia world when 個性 (the super powers of the setting) first started becoming a thing, the line could be translated as (with a bit of liberty taken to flow naturally in English): "Due to the pressure of public opinion, the Heroes who instantly captured the population's hearts were granted authority by the government."

Just like in English, context is everything - consider what the setting is, who the characters are, things like that. This is why it's easier when it's something you enjoy or give a shit about, because you'll know "Well, X wouldn't say that" or "This would never be a thing in a setting like Y"

The dates differ country to country.
Why, I don't fucking know.

How are college programs in general for learning Japanese? After taking a trip there I really feel that I fucked up by not studying the language, I would rather not even be in college but there's so much pressure to. I'm already >2 years in so the realization that I should have sunk all that dosh into something else is crushing. Then there's the lingering worry that my language skill would be shit and not worth being an employee anywhere

No personal experience but most hearsay I've come across was negative.

You mean college program in America? Not moving to japan to learn it right?

Right now I'm taking a college program in America. It's kind of crap and doesn't help much. I'd rather be studying at my own pace rather than a fast pace that doesn't even let you get the foundation down first.

What are you studying? Depending on your goals, it may be better to just study nip on your own and use your actual school time for something that can help you in your major. If you are required to take a foreign language and haven't done that yet, well then you might as well go for the Japanese unless you have interests in multiple languages.

Bleh, my kanji retention seems to have tanked all of a sudden, about 500 kanji in. Not even mnemonics are helping. Anyone have any advice?

Oh well it's not like I've gotten worse, I've just not gotten better fast enough. I don't think I'll bother retaking it (this shit costs money what with traveling expenses). I'll aim at N3 for now.

Fucking 10/10 my man, thank you.
This is roughly what i do, divide them,get the meaning. On this phrase i think my main problem was the word order, couldn't exactly put the phrase together from the meaning without it sounding off.

(checked)
It gets way easier after a while. I should really do more grammar so I can read harder stuff than the Graded Readers.

At least they probably hold it twice a year in your country. It's only once a year here.

I'm just gonna start with N1. Probably won't be ready this year, but by the end of next year I should be.

Here's how you separate those clauses:
たちまち市民権を得たヒーローは
世論に押される形で
公的職務に定められる

And remember that particles apply to what's behind them. They are more like suffixes than separate words.

I'm not learning Japanese, but for any other language, you have to use it to retain it. Keep a writing journal to practice and keep fresh what you know and practice new ones.

Hey NLT, got a request for you guys. Can I get a translation of ChRøNiClESeVeN, the main theme of 7th Dragon III? The best I have are Romanji lyrics, and there's moonrune lyrics in the comments of the embed somewhere.
lyrics.snakeroot.ru/A/Annabel/annabel_chronicleseven.html
Not sure where else to ask, but it's a good way to see how much you've learned, right? Thanks in advance.

It's a bit of an oddity because 「たちまち市民権を得た」 is being used to modify 「ヒーロー」 and then you have 「世論に押される」 modifying 「形」, so yeah. The more you see this though the more you'll get the hang of it.

The real question here is, did III have the best song in the series?

Yes.

That's a relief, I remember YouTube searching to see if III had a new version of Rival Arrival and couldn't find anything indicating it was in.

A few things you could do to maybe improve are learn words which use them, read more, learn radicals, write them during review, make better mnemonics. What is your current review process?

A field in mathematics, I'm not required to take a foreign language. I can see how independent study would be more effective if you have the time, I'm just not sure if I have that drive to actually accomplish it on my own

I went through my university's Japanese courses (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced) and feel like they were overall helpful. It's mainly because you get a teacher to ask about stuff you saw regardless of whether it's where the class has actually gotten to or not. Expose your power level to the teacher if you need to, they're all used to people learning for Japanese manga/anime/games these days.
The most obvious issue is whether you have a good teacher or a shit one.

I think yesterday might've just been a particularly off day, today I did much better than I usually do.

However, I do need to make more time for practical application.

Why do nips use so many different symbols for so many different things? The kanji just piles up with seemingly no end. How many of these Chinese drawings do I need to memorize before I'm able to breeze through manga without stopping to look something up?

Over 2000

This thread is not video games no matter what mark says.

It isn't even enough to memorize the symbols, you need to know exactly what compound of symbols mean, like a compound word. I'd give you an example, but I'm lazy.

That's like asking "how many words do I need to know in English before I can stop looking things up constantly" - don't think of kanji as letters, but as words.

Yeah, but with English when you don't know a word you can still sound it out and often extract some meaning from it's roots. If you encounter a new unique kanji the best you can do is context clues. Right?

Sometimes.

In practice generally. There is some method to the madness, i.e. the kanji for "resting" is 休, which is meant to be a person resting against a tree, but in practice you're going to be going by context for kanji you're seeing for the first time alone. That said, once you know a kanji, when seeing it in words you're not familiar with you can get a good general sense of the meaning usually.

You can extract some meaning from the radicals and kanji, but like in english it's not always helpful or possible for every word. Just read through some of the english in this thread and see how many words you can actually figure out the meaning of using only the word itself. Japanese also kind of has root kanji/hiragana that groups similar words together, like 広さ、長さ、高さ or like 芸者、若者、業者.

Not really. If you're fluent in english you greatly underestimate how hard it can be for people to learn it. There's a lot of words that are spelled similarly but are pronounced completely differently. It's definitely not as memorization heavy as Japanese, but you do need to memorize a lot of seemingly arbitrary things. Just read through this poem and see for yourself ncf.idallen.com/english.html

Also I'd like at add that in any language, english or japanese, context clues should be your primary tool you use whenever you encounter a new word since everything else isn't as reliable. That's how I was taught english at least

I always forget how silly English is since I primarily hear it, but just skimming over it, I can see why people who learn English as a second language have such a hard time with it. An old example similar to that poem, but nowhere near as exhaustive was always repeated by my high school French teacher, where he would always say or write down "He could lead if only he got the lead out of him" when he would go on his rants on how inconsistent English was.

Meaning was mentioned already but in at least some cases you can make okay guesses at onyomi pronunciation of an unknown kanji through radicals as well. For example, I would guess most kanji which contain 高 as a radical would have コウ as an onyomi, just through my experience that most of such characters I know are like that. I think side radicals hint toward pronunciation a lot more frequently. There's been a number of times I managed to guess an unknown kanji reading like that. Of course it doesn't work 100% the time and a good chunk probably don't contain radicals that give a clue as to their pronunciation in the first place, but it's something.

The impression I've gotten so far is that English makes more of an effort to directly describe the item in the compound word via the component words chosen. I don't know many Japanese compound words yet, but the ones I do know seem to have components which are more indirectly, poetically, or esoterically related. For instance, another user pointed out in a recent thread that 子宮, uterus, is Child Shrine, which makes neat poetic sense, but not literal sense, which means it's not as useful.
If you know the components that make up these words, you're very likely to at least have an idea of what each object is or does. Of course, there's some dependency on context. If you're not talking about computers, Keyboard could just as easily be one of those boards with hooks in it that you hang keys on.

It makes figurative sense. 宮 primarily means a palace, or imperial residence. 子宮 is like saying the child's palace, in other word's the child's residence, the place where the child resides. Incidentally, a shrine can also be thought of as a "residence", since a shrine is said to be the place where gods or spirits reside.

I know what jukugos are and I know I need to learn the 2000 jouyou kanji, but it feels like it's taking an eternity. It literally does feel like there are more kanji than there are stars in the universe. I mainly come to these threads to vent my frustration.

IMO the only sane way to keep learning kanji after a certain point is by seeing them in something you're interested in. Flash cards are mindnumbing at best and mental torture at worst; at first the immediate value makes them bearable, but when you're learning stuff you never even see in Japanese it becomes a nightmare. I find most anime/manga/games don't use close to the recommended 2000, so I've switched to learning them as I go.

Realistically, how long would it take for me to start from scratch and reach a decent level (nothing crazy like complete fluency) plugging away an hour a day? I had an aquaintance who claimed that he was fairly decent after less than a year of hobby study, but that seems off

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good textbook for starting from scratch? I would just download some materials but I've found that trying to work on a computer is detrimental to my productivity

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good textbook for starting from scratch? I would just download some materials but I've found that trying to work on a computer is detrimental to my productivity

In a year, you'll be able to play hiragana-heavy games like Dragon Quest and manage most menus- common game kanji terms like 装備 (soubi, "equipment") are easy to learn from seeing them often. When it comes to plot, though, you won't have much understanding of what's going on: you'll need more grammar/vocabulary and you'll have to get used to keeping weird names in your head (all the katakana made-up fantasy words like エルヴァーン or タグ・アクルプス can be a pain). So your friend is right for stuff that isn't very plot-focused.
IMO, at that level it's important to accept that you can enjoy some games without a perfect understanding of what's going on. The rest will come as you notice common terms and phrases and learn them, then move on at your own pace to more advanced knowledge.

Are numbers that important to learn early on in the game? My japanese class really wants to hammer numbers so we can tell time. I'd rather be studying grammar and vocabulary to be honest.

On the one hand, they do use Western numbers a lot, but on the other, numbers are such a common part of everyday language that learning at least basic numbers is probably worthwhile.

Sure they're important, but they aren't particularly hard to learn anyway, besides the multiple pronunciations.

Learning 2000 kanji won't even cut it. You will always see new kanji playing any game, because RPGs and VNs typically use tons of non-jouyou kanji.

Just because you don't have the willpower and cognitive ability to pick up a new language doesn't mean others can't, goon.

I don't know your retention, so I can't vouch for anything, but I study anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour or two daily (depending on how busy I am, how enthralled I am with studying, and such), and as of now, my Anki count is at 234 mature cards, and 565 learning/young, and I usually have about 100-130 cards to review daily. I've been seriously studying since early July; about two months. If I take my time, I can usually figure out what going on in a simple manga like Yotsubato! with aid of the Reading Pack and a dictionary like Jisho. I'm a really slow reader, sometimes spending several minutes on a single page, but I'm focusing on a basic understanding of the words.

For recommendations, I don't know what to say that isn't computer related, or something that is mentioned in the OP. Anki is probably what most people recommend. I would recommend getting it on multiple devices so you always have a way to study your daily words. I made the mistake of traveling at the beginning of my studies when I only had it on my computer, and lost nine days worth of studying, and to this day, my total days studied is still under 90%, which kinda sucks. I now habitually study on one of my devices, and have everything sync'd up whenever I need it. Dedicate a time slot in your day for it, and do it. Eventually it will be part of your routine. If you do Anki, once you get a couple of words mature, I recommend this search (all that is in the square brackets): [is:review prop:ivl>21]. This will show you all of your mature cards that you have, and shows when you need to study them again, save the search, and you can have a custom study of your mature words, and keep them mature.

Nearly all that I have found was thanks to the DJT guide in the OP. Check out the reading list, resource guide, and cornucopia of resources. Things I've checked out that are good include Tae Kim, Genki, and Japanese the Manga Way. They all do similar things, and all are a little different. Genki is geared more towards a classical classroom style where there are a few basic examples, and a bunch of exercises you can do, so if you're motivated, you can grab some paper and do those exercises. I really despise most textbook work, but it is effective to do a few exercises to make sure you understand the material. I mention Genki because you can probably find the physical book with a little searching, but you can find the mega link in the OP for free, and it includes both books, listening examples, and somewhere there are extra workbooks if you love exercises that much. You can also find Tae Kim's book, or something else, but again, I'm not going to go out of my way to find it when I'm quite happy with clicking a few links here.

Most of these books are in .pdf forms, so it is incredibly easy to read it on some reading program on your computer or other device, or if you're determined, you can print it, but I simply cannot recommend printing all that. If you worry about being distracted, only allow yourself the reading program, and probably a browser with Jisho open.

As mentioned several times in many of these threads, it's more important to just study than it is worry about how you're studying. If you don't like what you're doing, change it. There is simply no definitive "right way" to do this, as evidence of the myriad of resources all through the OP, DJT guide, and the rest of the internet.

Thanks for typing that out, user. I've heard good things about Genki

going for the N5 exam this december, wish me luck anons and remember to lock your doors to prevent men in spandex from breaking in.

Sounds like a waste of time and money.

If one of the best Kamen Riders needs to enter my home to defeat Gorgom, I will gladly make a copy of the key for him

バンプ~

皆さんさようなら…

頑張ってアノン君、僕であなたの安心がとても大切ですね!

Whoops, meant to say 安全, but your 安心 is also とても大切 to me as well!

I actually live enough inland on the upper eastern side I should be physically safe, only tropical storm winds and some rain, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose power because the US power grid is held together with hope and duct tape

Feels good, man.

That's not even the worst part. It's more like there are more ways to pronounce those kanji than there are stars in the multiverse. It's complete madness. I learned hiragana and katakana, around 400 common words, grammar and a bunch of kanji and I still can't read anything at all except individual words (when they are in sentences, the lack of spaces just fucks everything up for me and I can't even identify what the words actually are). The only thing that I understand is just how insane their language actually is. I had no idea that it was so ridiculously inconsistent and messy. No wonder they can't learn English. Western and eastern languages don't even look like they're from the same planet.

This isn't even my first foreign language, but I might just give up. I have more things to learn as well. Learning Japanese just might not be worth it unless you want to be a professional translator, or something like that. There are already more than enough games available in English for a lifetime. Shitty translations aren't an issue either if you don't play the games. Just play something else.

I even feel like dropping it and learning another language, just so that I can remind myself of what sanity looks like. The worst thing of all is that the Japanese, in the past, actually looked at this shit after it came from China, and they thought that it was good and adopted it. Why would anyone do that?

You can't learn Japanese. Give up.

RIP

Nice try, goon.

僕で
僕には

Maybe it's time to start learning actual grammar, faggot. If you don't understand how particle works and how they separate words you are doing a terrible job at learning. Go and read Tae Kim.
Words of a true goon.

僕にとって

Most have like two, and even ones with more have lots of ones you will rarely see or care about.

You say as you speak English.

No there aren't.

Go back to bed, Kotick.

The problem is learning kanji means nothing. You need to learn words spelled with kanji and remember their meaning and pronunciation separately for each individual word.

女衒 for example, this is read ぜげん.
As far as I know, no where else to you see 女 read as ぜ。 Learning that 女 means woman and 衒 means "show off, pretend, display" isn't enough to tell you that this combination of characters spells out the word ぜげん meaning pimp". I mean, you can sort of grasp the meaning from the kanji, like a pimp would be showing off their bitches to try to get customers to pay for some pussy, or something like that. But you would have no fucking idea whatsoever how to read it without simply memorizing it. And I hate to break it to you, but there are probably countless words like that with just flat out exceptional reading.

Not true. The whole point is that the symbols have a meaning by themselves and together. Sure, the show off part doesn't make much sense, but it is really helpful when you see them together. It's not always the case, but it happens often.

There aren't that many, at least ones you will run into into commonly. And those ones are so common that you will remember them easily just from seeing them so often, like 流石.

Thanks for the corrections, buds, I really wasn't sure which particle to run with there.

Hey guys need some help.

So I have the genki book and it asks me to answer the following question

おなまえは?

What does this mean? Something to do with name? The answer key says you should answer

めありいはたとです

If i type it out in romanji its sounds like mearii hatatodesu

"What's your name?"

I'm going to guess it's meant as an example answer, with someone named "Mary Hatato" with the "desu" just being the formal way to end a statement.

So if I get asked my age and my age is 23, how does that work?

I know 20 is hatachi.

so はたちなんさいです  would work?

I suck at numbers and the book doesn't give good examples on the age section.

Alright, so this explanation might help; Some words will have お placed before them, because the words themselves represent honorable concepts that everyone in society can understand and relate to or something like that, not entirely sure

That's why you'll sometimes see お金、お名前、お酒、etc.

Just answer 私は二十三年です。
If you don´t know, counting works like this:
一、二、三、四、語、六、七、八、九、十 = numbers 1 through 10. For 11 - 19, you add 十 for the tens' place and append the next number in the sequence for the ones' place (i.e 十一、十二、十三、etc). For 20 - 29, you use 二十 for the tens' place, then just follow the pattern (二十一、二十二、二十三、etc), and you do this pattern for all the numbers up to 99 (i.e. 30 is 三十、40 is 四十, 50 is 五十, etc.)

Sorry if that's difficult to understand, I'm not sure how else to explain it.

Haven't learned that yet and haven't even dipped my toe into kanji. My japanese teacher wants this in hiragana

Here, look, read this article:
learn-japanese-adventure.com/japanese-numbers-age.html
It's pretty straightforward.
わたし は にじゅうさんさい です
私は二十三歳です

Ok, makes sense. I just get confused because hatachi(20) has it's own word that isn't used anywhere else.

It works just like goddamn roman numbers. It's piss easy, and now I get it, thanks user. Of course, I bet the pronunciation is different than written, isn't it? Also, there's a kanji for 100, 1.000 and 10.000, as far as I'm aware. How does those work?

How the fuck can you make sentences without even touching Kanji? Are you a japanese kid or something? Start anki already.

Well, yeah basically. I just started my japanese 101 class and I'm almost done learning all the hiragana.

Same way the kanji for 10 works. From 10 thousand, it loops the way our numbers do from 1 thousand - i.e., we go 1 thousand, 10 thousand, 100 thousand, 1 million, 10 million, 100 million, etc., they go 1 tenthousand, 10 tenthousand, 100 tenthousand, 1000 tenthousand, 1 hundredmillion, 10 hundredmillion, 100 hundredmillion, 1000 hundredmillion, etc.

He said his teacher, so he's probably taking a class.

It's because Japanese is filled with counters for different objects. These counters are represented by words and they're appended to the number. For example, 歳 is used when referring to someone's age, so when you have a number appended by this word, you know someone's speaking about someone or something's age

I'm not entirely sure how higher numbers work just yet, but I don't think the pronunciation changes all that much. 二千 = 2,000, 二万 = 20,000, 二十万 = 200,000 etc.

In Japanese there are sometimes polite versions of words, which is just sticking お or ご in front of them. There aren't that many of them, you just learn them as you go so it's not a big deal.

Measure words are definitely the worst thing they borrowed over from Chinese. They kicked my ass there and they still kick my ass here. To each counter word is specialised for a kind of thing. 歳 (さい) for age, 枚 (まい) for flat objects like sheets of paper, 本 (ほん) for cylindrical objects like bottles, etc. Sometimes the pronunciation of the measure word is different depending on the number, for example 1 bottle is 一本 (いっぽん), 2 bottles is 二本 (にほん), while 3 bottles is 三本 (さんぼん). Another example would be in counting hundreds: 200 is 二百 (にひゃく), 300 is 三百 (さんびゃく), while 600 is 六百 (ろっぴゃく). You tend to get the hang of which numbers have the different pronunciation, but it's important to keep in mind when you're learning how to count things.

It never stops, does it?

and if you want to count books, you use 冊, because why not

I've read this is because books in China/Japan used to be in a rolled, scroll type of construction. So "book" made sense for counting other cylindrical objects.

Like the scrolls you see in Okami?

I'm not sure. I'm no expert and haven't played that game. I think they are supposed to be something like this.

I'm sure I'll get over it. Google collects my information and it mostly just leads to getting more convenient search results. I'm not so pompous as to believe that I'm somehow uniquely so important compared to their other millions of users that they'll be interested in (or even look at, honestly) what they find in my information.

Contrary to the scares from decades ago, big brother is watching, sure, but he's really not paying a whole lot of attention.

I'm not quite levels of retarded but I don't understand how that webm is supposed to bother me. It's tantamount to saying that it's bad that Discord has access to the information you send using it.

Please do feel free to qualify that point instead of leaving it at an ad hominem.

こんばんは!

I didn't even lose power (at least not for more than a few seconds), oddly enough.

You should rectify that.

Anyone know how readable the kanji is in Pokémon on the original 2DS's tiny screen? I haven't played a Pokémon game since silver and thought it might be a good series to find a game to work through the Japanese, but all the emulatable GBA games are 100% kana and that shit is hell. The 3DS games apparently have a kanji option but I'm too cheap/poor to buy one of the big screen consoles and I'm worried the kanji on the 2DS's screen would be too small for me to be able to parse the ones I don't know.

Just download it and find out.

Maybe I phrased it wrong but I don't have a 2DS, it's just the only one I'm willing to part with my shekels for.

Oh, well apparently the 2DS has the same size screen as the original 3DS, and I can read kanji on that fine.

Look up a video online then and decided if it's readable to you, playing japanese games on my new 3ds xl isn't too bad but sometimes it can be tricky to tell the difference between some of the more similar kanji, it all depends on how familiar you are with the kanji you've learned already

I don't have Pokemon, but here's an example of what kanji looks like on-screen.

I'm on my third week of learning and things are going well. I was curious if anyone recommends signing up for an immersion program in Japan? I need to use up my vacation time and I could use a change in scenery. Has anyone done something like this?

You won't get anything out of learning in Japan on only your third week of studying, if you're going to go with the intent of learning the language might as well wait a year or a year and a half before you've got some real understanding

I figured that probably would be the case. I'll wait until Spring when I plan on going anyway.

How should I approach learning which verbs are intransitive or transitive? I've made these rules from what I've noticed, but it's still hard for me, especially the words that fall into rule 4. I don't know how I learned them in english, and it doesn't help that my core 2k/6k deck doesn't tell me which one is which (besides from using the context from the sentence).

It definitely depends on the game. I think I remember how Japs bitched about the kanji in one of the EO games because of how small the font was. Like other anons said, check videos to see if its readable for you.

Fuck me, that was close. All told, only one day of Anki lost. Had to manually re-add some contacts, but at least I got my fuckin' Japanese lessons back. And I learned something about phones in the process. Sage for partial blogpost. I WILL learn Japanese, you cunt.

Yeah. I'm learning katakana with the sequel, although I use outside sources to practice hiragana now so that I don't forget it in the meantime. The games are pretty shit in terms of gameplay and story, but I like how they do the lessons, teaching you pronounciation and strokes and such, plus the combat system based on hiragana makes you practice it. It's pretty comfy, overall, and beats learning it from a textbook.

Not really vidya related, but does anyone knows any raw anime group that provides japanese subtitles? I would like to practise my listening.

kitsunekko.net/dirlist.php?dir=subtitles/japanese/
this site has a few subs. also kamigami releases contain jap subtitles in many cases

Hatachi is a relic of the original Japanese number system, which has mostly been replaced by Sino-Japanese numbers.

And it only refers to ages anyway.Meanwhile はつか is twenty days, and にじゅう is twenty when referring to pretty much everything else.

Started playing Custom Robo after seeing user mention it a few times here. The gameplay is kinda meh, but the dialog is hilarious.

Hey guys, got a test tomorrow, but I'm a little nervous about it. In one part of the test we have to translate an english sentence to japanese.

I kind of suck with topic particles such as "wa" and noun particles such as "no". I don't really know when to use them.

Hey guys, I have a japanese language test tomorrow. The first part should be easy enough, just vocabulary.

What I'm really nervous about is the last part of the test which will have me translating an english sentence to japanese. I suck at topic particles such as "wa" and noun particles such as "no". I don't really know when to use them. I think I need more practice wrting out japanese

は = topic marker, you use it before a noun/predicate phrase
私は = "on the topic of me"
りんごは = "on the topic of apples"
TOPICS ARE NOT THE SUBJECT, THE SUBJECT IS FREQUENTLY OMITTED, AND PEOPLE TYPICALLY SPECIFY WHAT THE SUBJECT IS WHEN IT'S IMPORTANT TO DO SO
If I said, "私は犬が大好きです" that could be translated as, "About me, I love dogs"
If someone asked, "どち動物が好きですか" then I could respond with, "犬が大好きですよ" and it would be understood that I am speaking about myself, given that the previous question was directed at me.
の = possessive particle and it nominalizes verbs.
私の母 = my mother
あなたの母 = your mother
As for nominalization, take a verb like 走る and add の when you want to refer to the act itself
彼は走るのが速い = 'he runs fast', not 'he is running fast'

Basically, go read Tae Kim you faggot. good luck on your test, don't choke

the use of "on the topic" seems to make sense I suppose. I will try my best.

So if I wanted to ask for specifically someones phone number how would it go? I'm still learning hiragana so I will type this out in romanji for now.

"Maerii san no denwa bangou wa nani desu ka"

Maerii is just a japanese way of saying the name Mary by the way. Would that be the correct way of asking?

What are you planning to do with Mearii's phone number, eh?

メアリーさんの番号は何ですか?
Yeah, that's right.

She's my waifu.

she's a slut

That's photoshopped. My waifu that goes to the university of arizona would never do such things.

You wouldn't use どっち asking about a general animal one likes, though you could use it about an animal from a set of them like of cats vs. dogs.

Not wrong but you wouldn't usually call another person's mother 母 but お母さん or something more polite.

nan desu ka > nani desu ka.

It'd just be 動物が好きですか right?

You could if you're fucking that person's mother. That person might as well call you 父

I think that would just be "Do you like animals"
何動物が好きですか sounds better to me

Nevermind, I figured it out.
動物の好きが何ですか

That would simply be do you like animals, you could say something like なんの動物が好きですか or 好きな動物は(なんですか)

I didn't really think of that but I did say usually and not never for a reason.

does anybody have or know where to get the イッキに読める books digitally?

When did the Japanese start eating eggs?
a long たまご

you get that from mombot's retweet?

ara

バンプ~

I've been playing fire emblem echoes in japanese, and it's amazing how some casual conversations are so easy to understand and yet some stuff just goes right over my head, even when I check all the words and think it through multiple times. This language can be such a slow burn but I love learning it

Not true. It originally meant 20 in general.
sf.airnet.ne.jp/ts/language/number/ancient_japanese.html

I'm talking about in the modern day language.

And I'm talking about the original Japanese number system and why はたち is different.

bamp

What are some different things you guys do to study? Was thinking I might like to pick up a new occasional study habit but not really sure what to do.

Besides Anki I mostly just play games.

Also changing the language of something you use often to Japanese helps for more practice; like Steam, Youtube, your OS, your console UI, etc.

Games, manga, VNs, LNs. Recently I've been having fun translating lyrics for songs I like, but that's a little harder than just reading other media.

Not true. If you're going to die before being able to hold a conversation, you're going too slow.

A million times this

Seriously, even if you're a shit learner like myself with no self control or discipline, you can learn Hiragana and have it memorized for life within a few days. It took me a couple of days because I had work and like I said, I'm a shit learner.

Katakana is annoying since it feels like you're just learning the same shit, but that too is easily learned.

All I did was go on Tae Kim's youtube videos and practice writing 5 in a row on a piece of paper, read through them, then try writing them out on another piece of paper without looking at the original sheet. BAM, you've got the writing, reading and the sound memorized.

You don't need to pay for shit to learn Hiragana or Katakana. The time it takes you to play that game, you'd have made so much more progress by just sitting your ass down and just studying. Then when you've studied enough, you can go play a game that's actually fun.

頑張ってね

Requesting the "China is shit" greentext.

lol china

I envy you disciplined lot.

kek

same

Don't fret. So, you failed. You're a shit eating faggot and you deserve to die. What else is new? Consider the following: You will fail, again and again. You will forget how to pronounce a number of words, and you will forget their meaning. You will think that you've understood a particular component of grammar, and then when you have to use it, or when you see it being used by others, you will fail to understand said usage. You will feel like shit again at some point in the future, both as a result of your depression and your ineptitude. These are facts of life, and they will not change. You are human, therefore you are imperfect, and you will never reach a state of perfection, regardless of how close you come to acquiring it.

Where's the silver lining? Well, once you realize that you're a shit eating faggot and you deserve to die, you can begin to accept it and, more importantly, use this information to inform your decisions. For example, I know that I'm binge eating faggot who only eats because I enjoy the taste of foods that I know are shit for my health. What do I do about it? I keep a food journal, and if I find myself overeating, I will drink copious amounts of water, until I get sick. Why? Well, if I get sick on water, at least I'm not adding to my calorie count for the day. I might feel bloated and unable to move, but at least I'm resisting my urge to stuff my fat face with food. Maybe you think this is an equally unhealthy approach to a problem that could easily be solved by other means, like simply not eating. Yeah, well I know myself, and I know that simply not eating doesn't work for me. I have to actively do something to prevent myself from succumbing to the urge to eat. At least I'm trying, that's the important part. You have to have a plan, and then execute it, and keep doing it until you get the results you want. If you give up, that's just another part of the process. If I give in to my desire to be a fat fuck, well then I failed in my mission. However, once I reach "game over", I don't simply quit. I get back into the fucking game and try again. I'm not going to let my own shitty urges control me. I will fail a million fucking times, if that what it takes, until I finally overcome my shitty urges. You, too, should try a million fucking times to maintain your studying regimen.

The short of it is this:

As run-of-the-mill and conventional as this advice is, it's incredibly useful and effective. Step it up, faggot.

Now that's some solid advice. Following this and making it into your mindset is the only way you're going to learn japanese, in my own experience and from talking to others who have both failed and succeeded

Don't patronize me, you cocksucker. If you don't internalize it and apply it, then you haven't truly understood.

That'll kill you, user.

Obviously I don't drink so much that I can induce hydrotoxicity, I drink enough that my pangs of "hunger" are literally drowned out by a sea of water. I want to emulate the sensation of being full, because I have found that this is the only thing that I keep me from overeating. My point is that, even though my technique may have downsides, I am still actively trying to solve my problem and by any means that are available to me. So far it's been working for me, but if I'm somehow unable to use this solution in the future, then I'll just have to think of something else, won't I? That's the bigger point here. Don't give up just because you fail, failure is part of the game, try again.

The overworld is okay though. I haven't finished it yet but so far the game plays like skyrim mixed with Megaman legends. Now that I've set up the emulator, what are some nice nip wiiu games to play?

didnt read lol

免疫性の
What does this mean?
An enemy in the game I'm playing keeps spouting this every time I hit it

could mean
I'M FUCKING INVINCIBLE

So stop hitting it?

Hell, I don't know. I just know that めんえきせい means "immunity" and の is a nominalizer, so my best guess is that the character is saying something like, "I'm unaffected [by whatever you're doing]"

It says immunity with an explanatorial tone.

What does this say? Apart from the obvious kabanchan kana

Not the translation thread, faggot. It's simple Jap, use it for practice.

Saved

の is not ever a nominalizer unless it comes after a verb. You can't nominalize something that's already a noun. It makes no sense. Do you even know what nominalization is?.

You had to throw rocks at it
Thanks best buddy

Hey guys. Ended up getting an A- on my japanese test. It's only going to get harder from here.

I have a hiragana test. I have it memorized pretty well, not so good at recalling hiragana when I need to write it. Also need to practice small hiragana as well.

There are no tricks to learning the kana. It's like leatning the alphabet, after a certain point all you can do is grind until you get it. Keep at it, after all it's literally kindergarten difficulty.

It's easy enough to remember the hiragana, but the tricks kind of confuse me. For example double consonants and double vowels.

like せんこう (Senkoo)
I don't really understand why that extra う has to go there.

Because せんこ would be a different word.

I understand, but as I understand it double consonants is easy enough because you write it how you hear it.

With double vowels there's a certain rule to it. Like to type senkoo I wouldn't put せんこお

Some words do write it like that, like こおる or とおい

せんこ and せんこう would be pronounced differently, and are different words. An おう sound is pronounced roughly the same as お but held longer (also the same as おお). A double ええ sound is roughly the same as えい
I can't really explain why, but if you need to extend an お sound it's done with a う, and that's just how it is. Understanding this will become natural as you memorize more vocabulary.

Also it sounds to me like you're just confused by the shitty romaji in the Genki textbook.

知ム
いし

This is probably me being stupid but my Core2k/6k shows a quantity 11998 and it looks like it's from cards labelled "Edit to customize X". Is this normal? Or is it going to fuck me eventually? How do I fix this if I need to?

Does your deck have audio? In my deck, there are at least three cards per kanji. One with the kanji on the front, and one with just a listen button that says the kanji, and at least one with a complete sentence with audio in it. I don't have the "edit to customize" button, but it looks like I'm on an older version that you too.

what's a vipper

Yeah I have audio and photos for each card.

Is there any good guides on talking dirty in japanese? I know there is a book by the same title but it's shit. I can find a lot of different terms but no "standard" sentences. I've managed to find some semi-decent looking phrasebooks on google images but never been able to find the name of them

Are you the same user who asked this before so he can talk to some 3dpd slut?

It's a type of snake.

Maybe, I don't remember asking before.

She likes to hear me talking dirty in english/moonrunes but the latter is really lacking.

Sounds like a dumb whore drop that 3dpd for some 2d

This is all I've got, but it's more for understanding than talking
animetric.com/Static/Extras/Yuribou-Hentai-Dictionary.html

you should get rid of the 3dpd and get a real waifu

Does she know Japanese? If not, you could just say shit like "Konnichwa hirohito bukakke. Arigato ronin futon." and she'd be none the wiser.

2d won't strip on command

yeah, she's from there, i wouldn't be trying to find proper sentences otherwise

?????
If you ask nicely enough it'll do whatever you want

I'm too lazy for that, i want a hands free, voice activated model

also

Well then why do you ask us if you have a native speaker right there, you race mixing fucking faggot?

”恥ずかしいよ”

>implying I'm going to fuck her

No idea. I know Dark Horizon is the opposite (guide for 日本語 natives speaking ruder English) though.

Then what's the point?

I'll look into that, maybe somewhere i'll find something. everything i've heard of seems to be J to E books but i can't find any of them.

I don't know there's something about getting a shy/reserved person and eventually convincing them to play/masturbate on cam

I can explain exactly why. It's a matter of what sound it evolved from. For example 凍る こおる evolved from a corruption of こほる and same thing with 遠い、 coming from とおい。 In the case of せんこう, the こう developed like this かふ>かう>こう。 Mostly, only onyomi long o sounds are written with おう, while the other kind come from native 大和言葉。There are exceptions, for example, やろう developed like this やらむ>やらう>やろう even though it's a native word, and same with all volitional forms.

TLDR; The distinction in how long お is written reflects the kind of sounds it developed from in classical Japanese on a case by case basis.

How degenerate

That makes a lot of sense, cool

I hope you guys did your reps today!

I did my reps. It seems like it's time for a new thread.

Gotta wait for this one to get to page 13 or so.

I'm gonna learn Japanese and come to your country you cunt.

I just passed the 400 kanji mark. I know it's not much, but it's quite an achievement for me, been at this since June without stopping.

How does one get into the kanji/grammar thing? I learned the kana, but can't really get into the kanji – each seems to mean several things and have several ways of pronounciation, and I never know which is the correct one or how's it actually used. Core 2k started me off with numerals where I get two different words for each number and I have no idea what the fuck to do with that, and Tae Kim's kanji just links me to another site where I get shit like pic related – 21 ways to pronounce it and no idea which one to use for what, not to mention that "life" and "genuine" seem like pretty different things to me.

How do you approach this whole thing, anons? What sort of method do you use to learn Japanese?

You can largely ignore things like that. The 2 common readings I see for 生 are 生きる (to live) and 生まれる (to be born). Also, genuine could be better interpreted as raw, in the same way that a newborn baby is. The rest you don't need to remember what each reading means, because you'll rarely need to use them. Instead of spending too much time on studying individual kanji other then maybe the most common 100 or 150, just study vocab, and learn the words rather then the characters. At the end of the day, do your Anki reps, read your tae kim, and when you feel like you can, try to read some easy stuff like childrens books or NHK easy news. Beginning to read is always a slog but it's a skill in and of itself that takes a bit of practice no matter how good your grammar and vocab are.

The problem is that I don't know how 生 itself is pronounced. I understand that I should use the kun-reading when it's standalone and on-reading when in a compound, but what do I do when both kun and on readings have several versions of pronounciation? I try to google which one is used in the context I want, but that takes forever to do for each kanji

生 is usually pronounced なま, like namasensei.

Like everything else, it's down to context.
According to Rikaichan your example 生 is both raw and not wearing a condom.

That's why I always advise to learn words, not kanji. Instead of focusing on how 生 itself is pronounced, you'll know how certain combinations of kanji are pronounced when together, which will serve you a lot better because it eliminates the need to learn readings.

Most kanji don't have a bunch of readings like 生, it's probably the one with the most. But either way, with kunyomi it's usually pretty simple because you've generally got some okurigana. If 生 is followed by きる you know it's い・きる, though occasionally some words will have the same okurigana and kanji but a different reading. For when there's different kun readings for just the kanji itself it's usually a matter of context and you'll just need to compare definitions and gain experience with the words. As far as なま and き go, なま is far more common and き is usually a prefix to another word, though なま often is too and probably more often still. For multiple onyomi, one tends to see more usage, in this case せい is used more often. If you want to quickly gauge which reading is probably more common you can check for a 漢字項目 entry on this website and see which reading has more example words: dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/120871/meaning/m0u/ But all said you'll have to learn the individual words and rather than learn the readings outside of them, you should learn vocabulary and that should drill the readings into your head by further giving your brain something to associate them with. I wouldn't necessarily say don't study kanji at all, though it's certainly an option for some, but I highly recommend learning them with vocabulary and for study focus more on their construction and the like.

new thread