MonHun vs. Toukiden

Monster Hunter has, historically, not offered much in the way of playstyle customization. There's a lot of overlap between the different weapons and weapon balance can be brought into question. There's also the sad fact that typically picking a weapon is the only real game-changer in terms of playstyle – any given two users of one weapon will play pretty much the same exact way. Weapons are formulaic and systematic and have a predetermined "best" way to be used.

Toukiden, however, allows for vast amounts of playstyle customization with the Mitama. Not only do they buff and/or debuff your weapon with passive abilities, each type of Mitama in each type of Mitama slot has an active ability (FOUR active abilities if it's in the primary slot) that can fundamentally change how a weapon is used.

Why, then, is monhun the more popular of the two?

Many comparisons can be drawn (though there are noticeable differences, and many fans would argue they're not even in the same genre despite them often being compared) and yet Toukiden absolutely blows Monster Hunter out of the water in terms of combat in almost every aspect. MH offers nothing over Toukiden other than being more established.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/dIi9G
8ch.net/hgg/res/112128.html
koei.wikia.com/wiki/Toukiden:_The_Age_of_Demons/Mitama_Abilities
koei.wikia.com/wiki/Toukiden_2/Mitama_Abilities
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>be sure to set back to Maximum processor back to 100% when you're done playing
They still refuse to patch the game. otherwise its actually fun as fuck

because monhun is monhun and because fuck you, no monhun clone will surpass the original series

Monhun isn't on PC so this is a pointless thread of conversation. It's a shit port, that's all I can say.

Let's just compare PSP Monhun to PSP Toukiden, and PS Vita/PS4 Toukiden 2 to 3DS/Switch MHXX.

SOON™
archive.is/dIi9G

I only played toukiden 2 and it was boring, shallow poor man's PSO2, where you can't even jump properly and have to use some fucking gimmicky grappling hook. Which wouldn't be bad as an addition to jump button, but not as a replacement for it.
Oh and multiplayer content is gated behind singleplayer content, and all of it is the same shit anyway which completely defeats the point of multiplayer in it.

Where does monhun comparisons even came from I have no idea.
In monhun you must learn your enemies, you must track them, bait them, you don't have fucking stats or levels, it's only gear and skill.
And you can jump into multiplayer right off the bat.
Also different weapons play vastly different, I dunno if there are any overlaps in nintedon monhuns, but I don't remember any in PSP monhuns.

I guess world map with a hub from Toukiden is more similar to that of Monhun rather than PSO2's dungeons you select from menus, but other than that it's not even monhun clone.
And it's a shitty game overall. Being worse than f2p grinder on a base level says a lot.

Toukiden 2 doesn't have levels, it uses a similar ranking system to monster hunter.

Monster Hunter has stats, don't be a fucking mongoloid. Your weapon's attack rating, sharpness, speed, and all of that are fucking stats. Toukiden only lacks sharpness.

Gear in Toukiden 2 is extremely similar to Monster Hunter.

The multiplayer in Toukiden 2 is EXTREMELY similar to Monster Hunter multiplayer.

Multiplayer content isn't gated beyond the tutorial, you're some kind of retarded and/or didn't play the game right.

I'm not sure you're familiar with monhun at all, either that or you did something terribly wrong when playing toukiden 2 to be unable to draw comparisons.

The monhun comparison comes form Toukiden 1. 2 does more to differentiate itself and is right, it doesn't have levels. Its all about gear and collecting the resources to improve your weapons and armor.
Toukiden 2 is nothing like Phantasy Star Online 2

Well yeah I played monhun years ago and I played like 2 hours of toukiden 2 before deleting it.
What can I say? Basic combat in toukiden is shit and in monhun it's good, so maybe that's why.
Also you don't get to hit enter twice after EVERY sentence.

Combat is exactly like PSO2.

Why are you in this thread?

I explained everything thoroughly, do you have argument or not?

Thought so.

but its not anything like PSO2, are you just pretending to be retarded?

Shit nigger, animations speed, how enemies react to being hit, breakable parts behaviour, fucking weapons themselves, it's all exactly like PSO2 minus just attack system. Or was there some fucking equivalent in there too?
It's really fucking similar.

but its not, It seems to me you failed to beat the tutorial boss and rage quit. now are just throwing around this PSO2 BS to save face.

This is some hardcore projecting going on.

but its not projection kid. You clearly haven't played the game.

So you don't have arguments either.

says the kid demanding that a game is something that its not

God damn fucking faggots stop being petty little shitheads and grow up; talk about these games intelligently and try to bring up points instead of just bickering like children and ruining the thread for everyone else.

Anyways, I'm a big Monhun fan and I've been interested in Toukiden 2 for some time now. It's just that whenever I look at videos it kinda seems to be all about simple combos and keeping the damage on the enemy; nothing really looks that satisfying nor does anything really seem to do much aside from have different ways to deal damage. In Monhun, keeping the pressure on the enemy with rapid attacks was a strategy you'd use to weaken them or one you'd use to unleash damage when the tides turn in your favor, but here it kinda just looks like to stand around and dodge an attack every few seconds and keep using combos.

Anything I'm missing here? Is the Mitama system really complex and fun and I'd actually need to play it to understand it? Because I don't mind giving it a pirate or something if it's potentially something I'll love, but it's just that nothing seems to have weight to it like in Monhun. I mean I can only learn so much by watching videos of the gameplay, and it could just be one of those things that's more satisfying to actually sit down and play, but shit. Any pointers as to what the gameplay is all about, if it's actually really good? What's the depth of the game design here and what keeps all of you coming back to play more? I'm not asking this to give you shit for liking it; I'm legit wondering because this game has been in the back of my mind for some time and I've kind of been interested in giving it a try.

Absolutely. Thanks to it, you can change from constant onslaught (what you see in most videos) to guerrilla-style combat to spellcasting etc.

You can even do unique setups like stamina vampirism to wear out enemies while building up your own stamina.

You have to keep the pressure on Oni in Toukiden2, because their part health regenerates. Amputation in Toukiden is handled fairly uniquely.

You can cut off (almost) every single limb on large oni, and doing so limits their movement and abilities. The catch is, to COMPLETELY and PERMANENTLY remove a limb, you have to use a special technique that requires building up meter. Permanently removing many limbs like this can fundamentally change how the enemy acts and reacts (the tiger-like windshredder will stand on its hind legs and hop around if you pull off the front legs).

Granted, you can reach ridiculous levels of damage in Toukiden 2 to the point that you won't ever see this kind of degradation before the enemy dies, but that's very late game and with a group of very well-geared allies.

Well, shit, that does sound pretty enticing. And you said spellcasting? Monhun gives you items that can be like spells at times but they aren't really spells, and they're generally traps and bombs and whatnot. Looks like I'll have to pick this one up, someday. Of course, I'd like to give it a try beforehand just to make REALLY sure that it's gonna be a hit with me, but it sounds like it'll be fun. I saw the whole limb thing happen in some videos which was pretty fucking cool, and, it looks like Monster Hunter is trying to compete with World with the new grappling hook and open areas and whatnot. It's all just a more hardcore version of the damage system in Monhun; you can remove limbs, but they can grow those parts back, too.

Thanks, user. Again I'm pretty sure it could be fun to play in the future, if not soon. It never seems to go on sale so I doubt it's gonna be cheaper anytime soon, though. I'll pick it up if I really wanna get into it.

Just get the free version on ps4

Wait what? I don't really have a PS4 but it's neat to know that it's free. A lot of people are complaining about the monsters just being punching bags with a lot of HP so I'm not really sure what's going on with it, but, I'll give it a pirate anyways to get a feel for how it plays.

I mean shit there are a few "too popular for their own good" games that I really like. Dwarf Fortress and Morrowind have both blown up and are beloved but they have really god damn simple surface things that everyone whines about, so, maybe the playerbase is just too casual for this shit. Not really sure though as I haven't played it yet, but I'm interested in being able to form my own opinion.

But still though, thanks for the heads up. If I had a PS4 I'd get it to try it out; seems to be freemium but that doesn't really matter if it's just to try I suppose.

Good luck, user. Let's all do our best to make Holla Forums great again.

Toukiden series is

EASY

CASUAL

TRASH

Why are Monster Hunter fans so deliciously autistic? I skimmed trough the /mhg/ and i laughed my ass off.
Serious question, asking politely.

Because Toukiden feels like a bland and soulless PSO. I really wanted to like it. I've played every monhun clone and liked them all to some degree. I love the world and setting of God Eater, the mechanics of Soul Sacrifice are fun and Freedom Wars punishment mechanic is a fresh spin on the idea.

Mon monhun remains king because it has style. It has a strange blend of south american quasi aztec meets japanese where medieval looking dudes fight dragons and dinosaurs with weapons that far exceed their level of technological development.

Toukiden is just 'japan' its an alternate fantasy version but its just 'japan level'

At least in things like God Eater you are in levels like a collapsing subway where a river of lava flows along the tracks and a collapsing mall atrium lets light flood in from the ruined tokyo above. You can be fighting in a rusty, moss overgrown water treatment plant and see a desolate coastline with the dichotomy of a strangely solid and well preserved lighthouse standing its lone vigil on the edge of the horizon. Its the charm that makes repeated maps not get boring. With monhun you have places like the ancestral steps, heavens mount, the jurassic frontier and so on.

Toukiden has 'generic forest' or 'generic cave' and its level designer seems to have gone for the 'f2p korean mmo' look for level design.

Mechanically its okay and has some fun ideas. But it lacks any charm and you could post screenshots to someone who doesnt know about it and say its a warriors spin off or something and they would believe you because its art style is so generic in both tone and style that it lacks a recognisable look.

and everyone recognises the slutty anime girls of God Eater or the armour sets of Monhun.

When the entire game is designed around doing the exact same shit over and over and over again, what kind of crowd do you think it attracts?
It's almost as if game was designed for such crowd to begin with.

I'm a Monhun fan, yeah, some of them can be fucking faggots. There are a few furfags for sure, but a game that can lead the fans to sink in 1000 hours in a single game in the franchise is gonna have some pretty dedicated/autistic fans. I would know because to be honest, I can kind of be one of them. Nowhere near as bad as Pokemon fans at least. I'd shoot myself if it ever got that bad. Unless MHW is causing some kind of shitstorm I don't know about.

Thanks user, you too. If you look over at /hgg/ there can be some real whiny fucks there; the board is linked to on Reddit so it explains why everyone is a little shithead who gets so petty over the littlest things. If you look at this thread for example
8ch.net/hgg/res/112128.html
everyone is flipping shit and whining about some stupid gay ass drama over the devs not adding NTR yet. Honestly I don't want to get involved in the whole argument, but I find it honestly kind of hilarious that the board is popular with Reddit and has a bunch of really bitter petty NTR fans. I wonder how much overlap there is.

But yeah I'm trying to contribute by adding quality posts; I never shitpost unless I'm doing something that's going to make people laugh and have a good time, [s4s] style. And I almost always end up making walls of text and I put an autistic amount of time into my OC for some fucking reason. But I mean to be fair I do play a lot of Monhun so I guess I'm no stranger to putting retarded amounts of time into really stupid shit.

The grind in Monhun is good; you get a few weapons you like and you get to swap between them to keep things fresh. Not for everyone obviously but I have a good time doing a few hunts every now and then; just haven't actually sat down to play it seriously in quite some time. Toukiden 2 is actually going to be my first time going and actually hunting shit in a game like this for the first time in a while, once my torrent is finished. I hope I have a fun time; if it turns out to be legit good I'll go ahead and buy the game.

>Monster Hunter has, historically, not offered much in the way of playstyle customization.
You are historically wrong. And historically you've been proven wrong several times. You were shat on in mh thread, you were shat on in the previous thread and you will not escape that fate until you start making solid arguments, which you will not make since that requires effort and stepping into the grey area(being neutral).
Your rhetorical bullshit won't fly with people that actually play games. If Toukiden was better or, hell, even on par with MonHun then people wouldn't call it a bland clone. And by people I don't mean exclusively Holla Forums&/vg/ mh general population.
Sure, let's ignore half of the weapon arsenal that from subtype alone varies in playstyle.
>Toukiden, however, allows for vast amounts of playstyle customization with the Mitama. Not only… bla bla bla …
How does it compare to items and armor skills? Why are you comparing X from one game to Y of another?

Now, you could argue that there is a general opinion on how to use most weapons in mh with what skills, but then I can say that no one cares enough about toukiden for it to come to the same end(which it surely would, since in the end any weapon type in any game can be trivialized into a system which can be used for interpretation of "best way to use X") and that's why you see so many options so many opportunities for gameplay change. You don't have a case for your argument and your quick jump to conclusion of tk>mh should be a red flag for anyone that could take you seriously.

It's sure is right to doubt yourself before jumping to conclusions, but on the other hand if you feel something off, shouldn't that be a signal by itself? Like try to look at gameplay videos of TK, SS:D and Freedom wars can you figure out which one is better(for yourself) and how it aligns with general opinion on the games?
But sure, let's assume that there could be something redeeming in the presented systems, why not look it up
koei.wikia.com/wiki/Toukiden:_The_Age_of_Demons/Mitama_Abilities
koei.wikia.com/wiki/Toukiden_2/Mitama_Abilities
From my opinion these look similar to some of the MH armor skills and don't offer anything new in particular.

Did you not notice reliance on a hand crutch or ai pardners that try to make up for the lack of mechanics that MH has from the get go(flinching and healing)?

I played the tutorial for Toukiden Kiwami and that weapon eater mechanic threw me off.

Why can't games just work they way you expect them to? Is it so fun to root someone in place while performing an action, furthermore voiding it if you don't pivot in the right direction? Maybe it's not wrong in itself, but I can't be arsed to bow to shit gameplay anymore.

There are bad grinds and good grinds?

Yeah, I don't really expect it to be better than Monster Hunter. The depth Monster Hunter has in its weapons and how they're more akin to characters from fighting games with how everyone uses them differently is pretty fucking cool; they're almost like tools of expression in a way. You can express yourself by playing more defensively, supportively, or offensively with a weapon, and then there are a ton of variations on that weapon plus a shitton of armor skills to help you suit yourself even more. It's great; I like using Rathalos armor because I like to run up and rip into the monster and leave them out of energy early on, plus the set has great defense numbers.

And thanks for actually making a large, informative post. I'm still going to play the game, and, yeah, something did feel seriously off; but I want to play it before jumping to conclusions like you said. It's pretty popular so maybe it'll be fun.

I fucking love Monhuns lore and world; it's like some tribal, prehistoric, imperial Japan, aztec kinda shit like someone else said. The world is so large and unexplored and a really damn interesting and even ominous history. It makes me sad that the recent games are so lighthearted to the point where if we do get a conclusion, it'll be filled with puns and jokes, but the series is still really fun to play. Generations was actually pretty great; not as good as 4U, but it was great.

Mhm, making you grind for 10 hours by just pressing "fight" and using spells like in Uncommon Time is a really shitty damn grind. Giving you variety and some fun fights and making it feel more like a side-adventure from your main goals makes grind incredibly fun. I actually enjoy grinding if the gameplay is fun and it gives me a chance to get more familiar with the way everything plays and lets me play around with other weapons. JRPGs can even do grinding right; FF1 didn't really make you grind too much, but if you ever wanted to level or if you chose a more flawed party, you could train and blast shit away with spells and just go wild. It meant that the average "grind" battle would go by really quickly since you wouldn't be holding back to conserve spell points, but the average full on dungeon battle where you're trying to survive would take a little longer and you'd need to be intelligent with those same spell points. It was honestly great shit.

Monster Hunter is similar by giving you a chance to get more familiar with certain monsters by grinding, and your reward is a shiny new piece of your arsenal that gives you more options as to how you wanna hunt, plus you can make it funner by using other weapons you may have gotten. I actually really like it.

Forgot to add that just using spells and pressing fight and healing for 10 hours is bullshit. In FF1 they never made you grind for over 30 minutes with the average "pretty good" party, and it was great. I played with a party of Red Mage, Black Belt, White Mage, and Black Mage, and had a hell of a time. Good shit; played the NES version, too.

polite sage because this isn't even related to hunting games and I already bumped in the previous post anyways

That looks anti-fun.

That fight looks a lot more dynamic than the ones I've seen, but from the way it's presented it looks like it's supposed to be one of the harder fights. I've seen the Ogre which is obviously gonna be kinda weak because he looks like an early game monster, and the huge dude with the mouth which could be another early game one, and that huge Lamia one in the cave. They all looked really simple and basic, so, I'm hoping this fight is when shit ramps up or something. I liked the balls of electricity flying around and the somewhat-constant movement on the Oni's part; reminded me more of something I'd see in Monhun, but I hope there's more of it. Standing there and shooting at it doesn't seem too engaging as ranged but, it's fairly understandable that that'd be the case. I recall seeing there are multiple kinds of ammo you can swap between, and that combined with the Mitama shit will probably make it more exciting to use the rifle ingame. Again I haven't even played yet so I wouldn't really know.

The other thing you posted here
It looks like it could potentially be cool but I haven't played the game so I wouldn't know what to expect from those abilities other than the fact that it seems to be a pretty offensively oriented set. It could be fun, but again, I'd have to play the game and familiarize myself with the mechanics and how much of an impact those skills have. I'm planning on doing it soon because like I said I'm torrenting the game right now. Hoping to have a good time, but I do have my concerns.

I don't know what else you want from me

Not being a faggot.

Hang on are you just that hunting game casual guy that keeps going into /MHG/ getting upset that nobody wants to play toukiden?

Shit man i hate having to solo everything in God Eater 1 but i dont engage in shillvalry for it.

100 hours is fine enough to get a good hold on what a hunting game is all about, I'd say. In Monhun, 100 hours was that point where you kinda felt like your skill opened up and you were able to really do a ton of shit.

There was some guy who flipped shit about Dragon's Dogma just being "Japanese Skyrim" for a good bit on here. I think he got tired and left because everyone just kept laughing at him, or he just forgot to keep doing it because his attention span was shit.

That's not the same as having a definitive base for an argument, at least not for the one he is trying to make.

Also, DD can be considered as is a japanese skyrim, dunno why people fear accepting that fact and keep avoiding it like fire.

He used the same pic 3 times, so most likely.

If Toukiden had more aggressive monsters/oni; Toukiden 2 easily would have been the best hunting game on the market. It does everything right in terms of mechanics, gameplay and even the monster/oni have way more varied attack patterns/behaviors since the new part break system changes; they just don't get to show it off since they like to chill in one spot so much. Also Monster Hunter handles DLC better since it's free for now

Because customization isn't everything that makes up a game.

GE really only lets you rely on ressing pre high rank. The Aragami like pick related can literally one shot you without being in enraged mode so it really becomes more about mobility and using stuns, traps and having a good sniper on your team. Want to run over and res? guess what fgt now you got one shot too!.

It leads to more co-ordination beyond 'back off fuckers i am putting my barrel bombs down' in the more difficult hunts. Throw in things like the ability to customise ammo like creating moves in a fighting game leads to some ridiculous results like "drilling ice element that explodes at these X,Y and Z angles with a poison and slow effect" that means a good team can have a crows nest sniper camping somewhere like an alleyway between two buildings the hunters can lead an aragmi down and then BOOM! headshot for insane damage.

I wont shill it and make a thread saying its better than monhun of course. Small roster of monsters and easier than shit like the highest tier monhun difficulty hunts but its art style, story, music and co-op focus makes it a very, very fun clone that i enjoy as much even if i dont think its as good as a product design wise.

DD is kinda like a mix between Monhun and Skyrim, but all of the shitty parts of Skyrim have been all cut. People just avoid it because Skyrim is kinda shitty while DD actually does the whole "run around and kill shit and get things" a lot better by actually being built as an action game. It is like a Japanese Skyrim, but it's actually backed by good design and gameplay; something that Skyrim doesn't have much of. That's kind of the reason why people don't like calling it such.

Mohan! niggers, not Monhun, goddamit

Monhun.

Is that another franchise or just a different way of saying Monhun?

Monhanbu would shake their head at you in distain, piggu gweilo.

MonstrousGrinder™*

Or in bongland: Whipplesnarf trumblebumphf's magical beast hunt and track jolly time 2k17

How much bongs does it take to reach High Rank aka Deluxe Grind?

Could it be because monster hunter is a longer running series compared to toukiden?

First youns gotta 'unt in septic tank' an' then yous grind your way up to upper middle class, post council estate housing tier, maybe have a break for a cheeky nandos before gazza me dazza rank innut blud?

Yahtzee next time try to actually try to play the game for more than 2 hours before you start whining about shit you know nothing about.

Can't wait for World
The asshurt was top tier, can't wait for the release day and the autism it will bring.
These threads are bad enough as they are.

I just checked it out and the 'free' game is really just a demo. You can play online and up to a certain part in the campaign without paying. They probably put it in the free section because no one plays demos anymore.

Rather no one gave a fuck about it altogether.

Dude, stop. Only one of each of those is any good because they can't balance for shit. Choices aren't really choices when all of them suck but one.

I enjoyes freedom wars more than monster hunter 4u. There are monster hunter meetups here in new york but idk about toukiden or freedom wars. If they had those id attend.

Aesthetics also come into play like what said. I can be a knight, samurai, hunter in leather gear, landschnecht (probably spelled that wrong), fencer, aztec warrior, native american brave, Eastern or Western style noble, cowboy, even a fucking football player, and I can change around those parts to create crazy hybrids. I fight in bamboo forests, volcanos, tropical isles, deserts, frozen mountain cliffs, castles, and on landships. Toukiden has, what, samurai, ninja, Japanese noble, and shinto priest costumes, and you fight mainly in just generic Japanese forests. Less variety in armor, less variety in environment, why should I pick it over MonHun which allows me more freedom in character customization.