Classics

What are some of the older games on PC that you consider must plays? Recently I've been playing games Holla Forums brings up fondly from time to time and having an absolute blast which makes me want to make sure I don't miss any.

Other urls found in this thread:

nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-1-art.155174/
leonardboyarsky.com/fallout
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Diablo 1 and Doom come to mind. Also try Chex Quest since it has that feel of a 90's PC game. I may get some flak for this, but Half Life is also a great game to play. I'd normally say Deus Ex, System Shock 2, and Thief make up the holy trinity of FPS games, but if there were such thing as a quadrinity, I'd put Half Life up there as well.

I recommend everyone plays Nox at least once. It's my favorite Diablo clone. It has a GOG version too so it's easy to get running.

Doom, Fallout 1, Quest for Glory series, Civ 1-3, Quake, Build Engine FPS. Aside form a few exception most PC games before the invention of Graphics Cars where garbage. If you didn't have a gaming Consoles prior to 1999 then you where not a real gamer.

OP confirmed shit taste

fuck those kikes

Are you fucking retarded? How did you not recognize Fallout 1?

Wew lad, lets get some real bait up in this bitch.

That's not even from Fallout 4 either you dumbass.

Oh that explains it, he's a Holla Forumstard.

Yeah they sell you the crack instead of all that trouble of having to go to the pirate bay.

Nice get fella.

But I can pirate GOG versions too?

You could pirate every game on GOG before GOG even existed so I don't know why you are giving them credit for anything.

The whole site is fed up with you fags. We can't have one thread without one of you assholes shitting it up with "jew this" and "kike that"

Well, given that they make it even easier to install pirated games, I don't see the problem here.

The problem is undue praise from underage faggots who don't know any better.

Well, maybe you should educate them instead of being a whiny little cunt.

You also don't have to mess around with DOSbox to get it working. The games also come with the latest patches which are tricky to find for some old games.

I just did. Now stop praising GOG for nothing in the future.

Keep politics in Holla Forums. Is it really that hard to understand for you cuckservatives?

Fuck off, retard. Some of the shit I've pirated has only worked with GOG releases, and that's more than you've done so far in this thread.

Thanks for reminding us you feel that way.

say's the kike shilling their Jewish website. Have fun with your overpriced abandonware.

user that artwork is fallout 4

lol

Is this the "lie to user's fucking face" thread?

Just Deus Ex

There is so much shit to name, it ridiculous, but…

this game right here, I never laughed my ass off so much in my life, yet was strangely intrigued with it. I don't know what it is, I have a strange love for those old FMV games

nah it's from the loading screen of fallout 1

そうですね

user I hate to break it to you but that is just some shit painted in Photoshop

no its not. You are mistaking it for this one

You could just read the wiki and find a fuckton of solid recommendations. But people here seem to have something against it for some reason I can't fathom.

STARSIEGE
TRIBES

doom and nothing else. classic pc games are usually shit that most pc gamers haven't played but they've memed into relevance as something actually worth playing. the actual game play of these games is the worst part of them. don't get me wrong, there are some good games but none as tightly designed as doom. many others will have dozens of levels that are just a chore to get through or mechanics that are unsatisfying to use and the entire game won't be able to stack up to a proper classic.

Bullfrog's games, especially Dungeon Keeper, are must plays.

Like it or not, faggot, some of us are buy fags because we understand how money works. Some of us aren't absolute retards throwing money to """devs""" like beamdog either. If a dev or publisher is shitty, pirate the shit. If you don't wanna pay for shit, pirate the shit. Calling someone a kike when they aren't trying to sell you something you don't want, or when they tell you exactly what you get just makes you look like an underaged faggot from /r/thedonald.

Arx fucking Fatalis
This game does not get nearly enough love.

That's quite silly. It's like "don't play Mario because it's not Sonic" (or vice versa). There are tons of old PC games, even other FPS, that are also great in vastly different ways from Doom.

Sheeeit.

you play mario and sonic because for the most part they are consistently designed and excellent games.

you play no one lives forever and you wonder why the AI is such shit compared to half-life but then you play half-life and wonder why the majority of the weapons are such shit, then you try unreal and realize the levels are all incredibly boring and empty.

With just a handful of exceptions, they are very good for the time.

It's probably because the controls are dogshit. also stealth is useless

Jagged Alliance 2.

"deorbit burn failed, stranded in space, astronaut starved to death"

"astronaut tripped on moon rock and cracked visor. decompression failure. death"

Rule number one of retrogaming:
if your game sits in all Reddit's Top 10, you are the one being played.

Pure reddit cancer.

1 is better.

2 does things alot differently than 1. 1 is a shooter while 2 is an rpg.

Arcanum
Jagged Alliance 2
Alpha Centauri

Nah.

Thief 1-2.

I'm going to list some reasons alongside why you should play them as well

Shows how to tackle multiple playstyles through thought-out level design and character building, on top of having a writing and setting which can be enjoyed and appreciated on multiple levels, and an unforgettable atmosphere aided by the soundtrack and visual design
The first first-person shooter to really nail level design reliant on enemy placement and trickery as a result of the slow and simple enemies, while using mechanics such as keycards to subtly guide the player through semi-open levels
Invented the 6DoF shooter genre, and put a twist on the Doom formula by adding the element of unpredictable AI to enemy placement-reliant level design, meaning that levels can't be completed through rote memorization alone as enemies are capable of moving about the levels at random and messing with your expectations. On top of that Descent was the first shooter to have enemies capable of actively dodging your shots while they were capable of leading their shots, and is a real breakthrough AI-wise with the many enemy types having wildly different behaviours.
The Build Engine games showed that good levels didn't necessarily need to be abstract mazes for the sake of gameplay while forsaking realism. Instead, that realism would be made its strength as many Build Engine levels featured levels with innovative settings which were played upon in interesting levels.
Serves as a forgotten example of how to merge story with first-person shooter gameplay without too much fuss, while still delivering on the story. Later games in the trilogy would get more experimental with the storytelling too. Is also the closest thing to a first-person bullet hell at times, as the projectile types have a decent variety to them and dodging them requires skill. It's also an important example of how hitstun mechanics can make a game and how reloading isn't necessarily something for the sake of realism.
Mixes up the Doom formula by having less enemies with more HP in levels with less space to move around in, which means you will be doing a lot more dodging than popping in and out of cover or circlestrafing. Quake then further plays on the more emphasized dodging by having enemies take greater advantage of the Z-axis with their attacks or placement, which in turn forces the player to do the same and adapt to situations which simply can't be replicated in Doom.
F.E.A.R. solved the problem of levels with hitscan-reliant enemies being simply tests of baiting and faster reaction times without falling back on regenerating health. Instead, it becomes a game of breaking line of sight and flanking the opponent before they can even see you, which is made possible by the corridor-arena like structure of the levels with many side-passages to allow you to escape and move around. However, the enemy AI allows it to do the same to you.
Sees the merging of mechanics traditionally found in modern arcade games with a horde shooter in the pursuit of minimalism, such as a repeated tapping and holding input being used to fire two different fire modes with one button, and not firing your weapon also being an integral mechanic on its own. Not only that, but it's a gesamtkunstwerk in the sense that all of its visual and audio design serve an integral part to the gameplay. As you are surrounded by enemies most of the time and your field of view is limited, being able to hear what's going around you is important. Each enemy type has unique sounds which manage to stay noticeable in the audio mix. It's a singleplayer first-person shooter where your aim is actually being challenged because of the projectile-based nature of your weapon and the unpredictable enemy movement. Every aspect of the game is played on. A later enemy in the game will mess with your ability to hear. The arena will get smaller over time. Spiders will suck up the crystals you need to make yourself stronger. One enemy type will prevent you from using homing daggers until dealt with. And so on.

its not real Fallout 1 concept art its fan art created around 2015 in Photoshop, likely to celebration of Fallout 4. Sure people are desperately trying to pass off as concept art. The meme was likely circulated and popularized by reddit because no one from neo/v/ would be retarded enough to spread this cancer. Also your son is the villain. You have to kill him or nuke Boston.

t.drawfag

shit bait

Not bait. Most PC games where garage before ID software. The number of genuenly good PC games did not start to really emerge until around 4th quarter 1998 - early 1999. In fact most of the games in this thread are 1999+

You'd have to ignore the strategy, RPG and adventure game genres completely to arrive to that conclusion

stop posting normalfag classics outside of Deus Ex

Confirmed for being underage.
nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-1-art.155174/

I own the game that is not a real loading screen.(pic related is the loading screen)

Yeah this nigga got the right idea.

AND YET IT'S A PIC FROM FO1
NOT A PROMO SHIT FOR FO4

It is the Installer screen.
Maybee that is what confuses those anons here.
They should have seen it while installing.
Just like everybody remembers the Descent Trailer from installing Baldur's Gate.

It should be inside install.dat.

He's a drawfag, it's obvious he's retarded.

Remember when we used to mock telltale and david cage games? Take your movies with your "puzzles" and fuck off. You dont even know what a classic is.

You mean something like Myst or King's Quest?

You really are retarded. Go back, and read my posts again. I wasn't saying it was legitimate F1 concept art (even though it is), that was never the point of my posts. You're saying it's Fallout 4 art/fan art, when it clearly isn't.
And that pic has been around longer than 2015, so you're just making yourself look like a complete jackass, youngfag at this point.
And? So do I.

user just look at OP's pic its obviously not something created in 1999. If it was a installer image then its a recreation and not the original because that shit is not done with gwash paint or acrylic and it's certainly not an oil painting. The 1506x1200 image that OP posted was drawn in photoshop. According to the thread its supposedly Leonard Boyarsky who painted this peace. Notice the difference in quality. If you go to his official website he doesn't even display it.
leonardboyarsky.com/fallout

that's because OP's picture is not original Leonard Boyarsky painting, its a fucking fan recreation at best.

Are you trolling or really that dumb?
How old are you, 16?

guess that's all the good pc games lol

You clearly don't know anything about art.Yet you pretend you do. And you are calling me dumb?

olololololo

you are in fact retarded

You really are an autistic drawfag, aren't you?
Well considering PS was developed in 1987 and released in 1990, it's not out of the realm possibility.
No one cares, that's not even what anons were claiming or arguing about. You seem to have a very hard time reading and interpreting other anons' posts.

Look, this is my last (you) for you. It is the installer screen art, therefore it is in fact Fallout 1. You're only saying all this shit, because you probably have the game on Steam, which means you won't see the installer screen.

This has to be bait

wololo google "fallout 1 installation" image
WHAT A COINCIDENCE

He probably bought it from bethesda too.

user the HD Pic posted by OP is clearly not the same artwork posted here and not the same as (pic related). Its a fucking "remaster" drawn in photo shop. Its without a doubt not the original art drawn in 1999. Plus the Standard Graphics software used back then was Dulux Paint II or Corel Draw. Fucking stop trying to act like you know what the fuck you're talking about when you clearly are not an artist.

you kids can't read English can you?

Let's back up for a bit

You gonna spinster that too?

yes its fan art created in celebration of fallout 4

Holy fucking shit, this e60179 faggot is one of the biggest retards I've ever seen on this board.

or are you just making assumptions?

Source?

Don't feed him anymore.
How will we ever compare to such a master artist such as e60179? How? We're doomed, where would we be were it not for e60179? Civilization is doomed, I tell you. :^)

I want more shitposting.

Wait, is that your ORIGINAL pic or a remake?

nice try kiddo

still not an original peace of art

You are the ones claiming its the original from 1999. The burden of proof is on you to prove that the 1506x1200 image posted by OP is in fact the 640x480 image painted by Leonard Boyarsky. I don't think you can do that.

stay mad faggo

Just an edit. You've never seen the *autistic screeching* images before?

Still waiting for a source on it being made to celebrate Fallout 4's release, and it's piece not peace.

Nigger its you who are claiming that OP's pic is an original Leonard Boyarsky. Seems you don't have a discerning eye, I have an original van gogh I'd like to sell you.

kill yourself

Of course he's a morrowindfag.

That's not how that works, you don't get to invoke that counter argument, especially when you're the one making claims.
Here's your very first post, in case you already forgot:

Not an argument

Yes that is how it works. Clowns are claiming that the work posted by OP is an original Leonard Boyarsky. I don't believe its an original. Now prove it nigger.

This is a classic that I always return to, and a one I would recommend to everyone.

THOSE AREN'T ORIGINAL NESTEROVS

You made the first claim fuckface, if nobody can prove shit that doesnt mean you're right either you giant mongoloid.

You want RTS games? Try Command & Conquer.
IN THE NAME OF KANE!

I didn't claim it was an original picture, you're the one claiming it was made in celebration of Fallout 4's release. I'm still waiting for a source on that.

No I am claiming that OP's painting is created in 2015 likely* in celebration of Fallout 4. And that its not the original by Leonard Boyarsky. If you disagree then you lack a discerning eye.

Sonygger appears every time without a fault.

what's the image got to do with anything?

This autist has been shitting up countless threads with the same goddamn rethoric because hes an irredemeable Sonygger.
Hes made the "PC classics were never good" post at least 30 times now, I'm pretty sure he just cuntpastes it now.

Hes resorted to samefagging to pish this shit as well.

Heres my contribution

TIE Fighter
Collector's cd, with interactive midi music, not that digitized shit
need a joystick though.

sounds like he just doesn't like mount & blade, maybe u get mad too easily

Great taste

I know its you

Lemmings is my absolute favorite game of all time.

Source?

He's gone, stop.

Truly a turning point in the industry and humanity in general.

Not even deserving of a (You)

Did that retard really say that? Looks like I missed something good

That lunatic is gone, we can resume the thread. I'll leave these 3 as my PC must play suggestion.

You're trying really hard to fit in

Dungeon Keeper or Magic Carpet. RIP Bullfrog.

Pajama Sam. For real.

I was wondering if there was a story behind it, turns out you're just a paranoid nerd who got bullied for liking a game

Aside from a little shitposting this thread is everything I'd have hoped it to be. Looks like I'll be downloading a bunch of new old vidya soon.

Like pottery.

Is it just me or is the woman in the fallout pic giving the guy looking at the pic the 'fuck me' eyes? I seriously remember getting off to this pic before simply because she was quite thick and looked like she was a wild girl, but the guy next to her was looking at me like I was a piece of shit which was pretty off putting. It also gave me the false expectation that the female player character would be hot. I was more than a little disappointed.

The Exile series in general but especially this one.

Started on the X68000, but close enough. This is a true classic, unlike trash like Fallout.

Everyone who likes video games should play Dune 2 / 2000 and pretty much every single Command and Conquer game you can get your hands on. Really every single one of them is worth playing and enjoying. Avoid all RTS games that end in 3 or 4. They are complete and total GARBAGE.

Postal 2 is pretty damn fun too. Very relevant in today's political climate. If I may be so bold as to post a saucy spicy bait I will call it the Protocols of the Learned Elders of the Alt-Right

agreed, fallout games have never mattered and were always shit.

that game always get recomended, it is the best VN from the 90s?, i dont think it was that memorable or VNs just have low standards

and i forgot to add a recommendation

Sim City 4
Age of Mythology
Deus Ex
Transport Tycoon Deluxe
Jazz Jackrabbit 2
Comanche 4
Command & Conquer Red Alert 2
RollerCoaster Tycoon 2
Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit
Wolfenstein
Sid Meier's Civilization

Especially that Rabbit.

None of those games are pure FPS.

Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour doesn't get talked about anymore but once it was very popular and for good reason. The game is challenging and rewarding. Personally I really enjoy the challenge mode and don't care at all for the multiplayer aspects of the RTS genre. I just like bombing NPC chinese buildings into the stone age. General Malcolm Granger is my favorite general. He looks like Mike Pence and his special power is carpet bombing the enemy every 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

Are you even trying?

Agreed. 2 was kinda shit after experiencing the glorious System Shock, but I guess I'm one of the few people that played them in order and that's probably why I appreciate it more.

user if you want every classic PC game we'll be here for weeks. Have you at least got a favoured genre?

You'd be better off playing picrelated in this day and age.

Hexen

Tried this out for a little bit. This is the sort of game I started the thread for. This would have gone completely under my radar.

Should I play both or would it be better to just jump into the gold edition of the second game?

It's a shame both Max Payne's are miserable to get running on a newer system.

that looks really fun.

love shmups and haven't played this one

I'm starting with Tiberium Dawn and Red Alert 2. Some user brought them up earlier. Are there any others I definitely need to play?

I've had them run fine on win7, what was the issue you had? Have you looked them both up on pcgamingwiki?

Obvious I'm not that faggot but you should really just play the entire series up to Zero Hour, it's all good. Make sure and get the fanpatches (the first two games got released for free and can be downloaded with the patches already installed). As that user says you can safely avoid C&C 3 and 4 (3 is still fairly good, 4 is downright terrible and killed the franchise).

Speaking of fanpatches make sure you patch both Thief games if you play them (even Deadly Shadows is worth playing and the fanpatch for that removes a fuckton of cancer). Either google or find/start a relevant thread on Holla Forums and anons will point you in the right direction. Arx Fatalis should be played as Arx Libertatis too.

Was looking for this game, thanks!

Still waiting for a game with a gore system like SoF

Have a chart.

Otherwise pretty ok

Total War series.

Wasn't the wiki co-opted by reddit and cuckchan?

Yes

Clonk Rage is a must play imo. You can have a lot of fun in Co-op.

Great post. I've only played half of those, and you make really good cases for me to play the rest. Devil Daggers is a nice little game and it's refreshing for someone to mention it in the same post as Quake without making retarded comparisons.
I'm gonna mention the Doom I/II gameplay wad, Demonsteele, since it really changes up the game to play in a way that's very unlike any FPS I've seen. It changes the game/enemies to play more like a bullet-hell, and encourages you to use melee by giving you tools to deal with the increased projectiles: jumps/double-jump, a dash/air-dash that grazes through bullets, and a sword that can cut down or reflect bullets.
It also adds or changes a bunch of visuals/sounds/mechanics to make the game feel really freakin anime and devil-may-cry-ish. The game is more exciting and fast-paced as heck and I wouldn't go back to vanilla Doom gameplay other than for the sake of authenticity when trying new maps

Why is there still no proper sequel to this. All the attempts have been shit and have combat that is either fully automated or some sort of rock paper scissors choose your own adventure minigame.

Game had just started to be rediscovered by Holla Forums then all that was destroyed by a cash-in reboot.

Death to Spies is pretty neat

Arx Fatalis was only good in the first half. The dwarf dungeon and the ice caves were unbearable and magic is the only viable build. Great atmosphere but not much going for it in gameplay. The story also sucked once it's been revealed that you're actually the chosen one to defeat the great evil.