MAPS!

Everyone loves in-game maps! Post your favorites and discuss general fantasy cartography.

Other urls found in this thread:

pidgi.net/wiki/Category:Midori_Harada_artwork
pidgi.net/wiki/images/7/75/Sinnoh_-_Pokemon_Diamond_and_Pearl.jpg
pidgi.net/wiki/images/e/ee/Unova_-_Pokemon_Black_and_White.jpg
pidgi.net/wiki/Category:Naoki_Saito_artwork
pidgi.net/wiki/Category:Kawayoo_artwork
pidgi.net/wiki/images/7/71/Alola_region_map_-_Pokemon_Sun_and_Moon.jpg
sketchfab.com/models/1668ac8eb6464e64bfb4e1b936588398
faberfiles.blogspot.com/search/label/Bionicle
tcrf.net/Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver/Unused_Maps
youtube.com/watch?v=v78I_VfIHC0
biomediaproject.com/bmp/games/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Maps dissapoint the shit out of me. I think I'm gonna find a cool think a certain location but I don't, I never do.

*thing in a certain location
God, I'm so disappointed I can't even type.

In-game maps are shit. I've been replaying old NES games on my NES Mini and got out the fucking graph paper and having been cartographing my way through Hyrule and Angel Land like a mofo. It's way more fun than having fucking floating waypoints and AI "help".
Zelda 1's second quest is the best fucking thing ever holy shit.

Some in-game maps just look plain fucking cool though. Fantasy maps are great world-building tools to give your audience a sense of scale for your world

I don't entirely disagree, but the best maps are the ones that (used to) come in the game box with the game. They were fucking boner fuel. An in-game map is more of a meta aid than anything (unless it's like Minecraft where you make the thing, and then fill it in by exploring, and you actually hold it in your hands and look down to look at the map, and then you can mount the fucking thing on the wall of your wizard tower when you got home, that shit was amazing.)

Not always. Some developers actually care enough to give their maps a unique style. The best in-game maps are the ones that look hand-drawn. The worst ones are the purist street map like the one in GTA V. Some maps try to recreate a sort-of satellite map view

wrong pic

The best ones are the ones you create yourself. These are layouts for some of my own Doom levels.

That map just depresses me. All that lore and history, ruined. I was never big in to Warcraft but it still sucks.

We about to post JC2 and you beat me to it. Shame that the JC3 map is so lackluster in comparison.

I played for a brief time during the Wotlk years but that's it. It sucks because Blizzard was somehow able to give Azeroth a great sense of scale. The games world wasn't even that big but it somehow felt larger-than-life because of carefully crafted pacing and level progression that kept the player in one region grinding for days before moving on. The grind was shit but again, it really helped make the world feel fucking massive

Motherfucking Golden Sun… I want to replay those at some point. I need to get around to it.

For my contribution: Saints Row 2. Just a great amount of variety in a relatively small area.

I'm replaying them right now, because I just discovered how to get the Kikuichimonji, I remember grinding in the damned venus lighthouse for weeks only to give up and wreck the final bosses because I was overleveled as fuck. Who would've thought that RNG manipulation was so damn easy in this game.

Wish I could find the counterpart map of the first one in the same style (the game its from being set on a binary planet system; that's just the map for one of the worlds) and a larger res one of the second (it being taken from the inner tray-card of the game case).

i

I love the geometric patterns of symmetrical rts maps

I think the WoW map highlights exactly what is wrong with video game/fantasy maps in general. Look at how every single zone is circled by mountains and each has wildly different terrain and climate and shit. Now I'm not saying that can't happen IRL (desert on one side, rainforest on the other is normal), but a patchwork like that is unrealistic to the point of immersion breaking.

They should have had less mountain borders and discrete zones with more gradual changes. You can still have plenty of variety while still making sense geographically, you just have to clump more similar zones together.

There is actually a name for this type of fantasy map (a "Patchwork Map") and Azeroth is actually not too terrible in that respect compared to some other maps. I think the rolling green hills of the Great Plains transition very nicely to the Savannah and eventually deserts of Duratar.

OY VEY!

Kalimdor isn't and the northern part of the eastern kingdoms aren't too bad. The central part of eastern kingdoms and pandaria though are fucking awful (blame cataclysm and later expansions I guess). Outland is pretty bad too but I guess it has the excuse of being only parts of a world.

The worst part though to me is just the mountains used as borders. For some reason they decided that every single zone had to funnel players through tight entrance/exit points, and they used the same fucking mountains everywhere to do it.

This is the map of the dungeons in the first LoZ. Check out the top left green dungeon!

The whole "lets isolate everything into valleys" aspect probably showcases technical limitation more than map design. Obviously it would've been less straining for servers to track players based on individual "zones" instead of globally. Especially in 2004 before parallel processing really took off. It's pretty clever how subtle the transition between individual zones are although the fact there is a load screen moving from the Western to Eastern continent was quite jarring for me the first time since aside from this the game presented itself as mostly open world

Except the existence of flying mounts as early as Burning Crusade kind of puts that argument to question. Even IF the original maps had to be that way due to technical limitations, there's no excuse for northrend and pandaria. I know that they didn't give you flying mounts off the bat for those regions, but they were technically capable of handling it.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, if you use the "fly" GM command in WoW (get the Single Player Pack if you want GM commands) and you do fly over the mountains in many cases you will end up in an incomplete pre-loaded version of the map. So the barriers also serve as load-barriers which reinforces my theory

Also flying over the gate of Orgrimmar leads to just an unloaded hole in the map. This is obviously pre-Cataclysm

I think you meant top right.

Weren't the "Flying Mounts" in Burning Crusade limited to pre-determined flight paths though?

No. You are thinking of the Taxis. The whole thing about getting flying mounts was to do away with those annoying flight paths

I haven't played WoW in years but I thought even with flying mount you were still limited as to where you could actually fly until Cataclysm came out. In fact I recall one of the big selling points of Cataclysm was that would could actually fly over everything now without limits and flying mounts were actually worth a shit. I could be remembering things wrong though

Before Cata, flying mounts were still limited only to Outland and Northrend, which for the record still suffer from mountanitis, if less so than Azeroth.

Mostly right. When the first expansion came out you could fly around in the new expansion zones (barring the new starting zones for draenei/blood elf) and when Lich King came out you could fly in those zones. But yeah, vanilla zones you couldn't fly in until Cataclysm, and I think that's what you meant anyway.

Stealing your word, bruh. Also, I think they retconned the whole "areas surrounded by mountains" design by saying "lol the titans did it because muh created world"

Like I said, even if the vanilla zones had technical difficulties, there was no excuse for Northrend, Outland (outland kind of works though) and Pandaria. I don't even fucking know what the map after pandaria looks like

Imagine Burning Crusade with a third of the zones cut off.

They could've updated their shit by the time the new expansion maps came out and just never bothered updating the old map until Cat. But again, the mountains do act as load-barriers s late as Wotlk

disg

This.

is that based off of the pokemon red map?

All the Pokémon region maps are pretty detailed, but I've never been able to find high quality digital versions of anything from Gen 3 and earlier.

I'm guessing Ken Sugimori did the maps for Gen 1 and 2, but I'm not sure.
Midori Harada did all the maps for Gens 3 and 4, and I think her maps are the best ones in the series.
pidgi.net/wiki/Category:Midori_Harada_artwork

Holy shit. RBY is even more rural than it felt, which was pretty rural.

Kill yourself OP.

Mein nigger. Favorite map.

A what?

Love the prerendered 90s look.

I sincerely hope you got the term rural confused with "Urban" since Kanto is intentionally very much urbanized compared with the other Pokemon regions, since it is based on the real-life Kanto region where the heart of Tokyo lies. Kanto in Pokemon is Urban as fuck with 6 of its cities directly connected by almost straight paths

Compare with Hoenn, which was arguably the most rural region, filled with a wide variety of untamed environments like oceans, rainforest, and desert

DP Sinnoh exceeds the file limit.
pidgi.net/wiki/images/7/75/Sinnoh_-_Pokemon_Diamond_and_Pearl.jpg
Obfuscated BW Unova's also too big to post.
pidgi.net/wiki/images/e/ee/Unova_-_Pokemon_Black_and_White.jpg

The Gen 5 maps were done by Naoki Saito.
pidgi.net/wiki/Category:Naoki_Saito_artwork

I really hope this doesn't doublepost.

Those Kanto (game) maps just raised a good question if you ask me: while Cycling Road is an elevated, slanted path that goes over the water, could a multi-floor cruise ship like the one you take from Vermillion City to Olivine actually fit under there? Gen I and II don't have a noticeable difference in elevation from the start to finish, with the downward drag through the road (and slower upward movement) meant to represent gravity, and even in Gen III's incarnation theres not much of a difference visually either, and in all three generations, the Road is on the same level as the water too, and ocean water doesn't exactly slant last I checked. HGSS finally updated it to be visually above the water (four "blocks" high at the start of the path), but there's still no indication of the bottom being lower than the top other than the simulated gravity, and no drawbridge functionality there either. In comparison, DPPt has the drawbridges in Canalave City go up when you take a ship out to Iron Island, though I suppose that could be chalked up to better graphical capabilities than before.

Maybe I'm just overthinking things, and Pokemon being Pokemon, it's kind of notorious that locations are not to proper scale with the characters, and are MUCH bigger inside than they appear from the outside (thus with the HGSS incarnation one could say maybe the overworld ships are potentially small enough to fit under the road), but it's still something odd to think about with the prior generations. With the path not being much visually higher than the ocean nearby (to the point the "cliff" seems low enough that you could maybe use Surf there, if the game would let you) in the first three generations, one could easily question the logic of how those ships got in and out of Vermillion until HGSS updated the look for proper above-water elevation.

I've been noticing a tendency for maps Gen 5 and onwards to have a high resolution map with obfuscated details and an unobfuscated low resolution map. Kinda hard to take in all the details when you can't see shit.

The fact that the cycling road is slanting downward yet is above the water never particularly made sense too me. But I can imagine the Northern Terminal of the bike path begins at a higher elevation above the water than the Southern Terminal. And the 2D plane just makes it difficult to tell

Here's some stuff from the sidegames. And also the Sevii Islands.

While we're on the subject of Pokemon maps, I was severely disappointed by how restricted Sun and Moons maps were. Pokemon ORAS alone turned me off with its over-abundance of load-points that didn't fucking exist in the originals. I turned off Sun and Moon as soon as I got to that one mountain with the fucking bus stop where you actually have to take the bus to have it drive you down the mountain, bullshit. I used the walk through walls cheat on NTR to walk past the bus stops and there really is nothing there, it really is a load-zone

I'm not sure who did Kalos; can't find any credits for that, but what I do know is that Kawayoo's been doing the maps from at least ORAS onwards.
pidgi.net/wiki/Category:Kawayoo_artwork

I'm not a fan of his rendition of Hoenn. The geometric landscape doesn't flow very well to me, where I've come to expect more natural looking geography to supplement the towns and routes' limited perspective. Fortunately, there's a non-shit map ingame.

Kalos was definitely one of the weaker world designs in my opinion. Having a large centralized city just doesn't work for me. Too me believable game worlds are worlds that feel more arbitrary, worlds where there is no real central city. It's why GTA Vs world, while impressive in scale, also feels rather weak compared to the other games, for the same reason, Los Santos is the big centralized city. Unova sort of did the same thing but not necessarily to the same extent I think. It was refreshing to see Sun and Moon are just a group of Islands with no real centralized city either

To this day though the best Pokemon map too me is Hoenn

Gen 6's got some scenes showing the regions from space. Kinda wish they would've teased at a Britain-based region. Made a render for the Kalos one. Don't have the model for the Hoenn one on hand at the moment.

Anyway, can't post Alola 'cause the full size is over 20 MB.
pidgi.net/wiki/images/7/71/Alola_region_map_-_Pokemon_Sun_and_Moon.jpg
Still, I think this map's a lot better than Kawayoo's attempt at Hoenn.

You have good taste.

Finally, here's the Battle Frontiers.

Actually, here's a few more before I go to bed:
Since nobody else's done it, I ripped the planet from Sonic Unleashed and made a cylindrical projection. The individual pieces had joint data indicating where the flags go ingame, so I've been able to label the exact locations of each zone. I dunno why the colors are different between maps.
Oddly enough, it seems the southern continent was gonna be where Mazuri is now, if pic 3 is any indication. Might need to project that on a sphere to see the difference.
The planet's featured in Sonic Colors too. See if you can find the Great Lakes.

Curiously, the peninsula on the northern continent is longer in the DIMPS version (Wii/PS2).
Pic 1's had its alpha channel removed.

sketchfab.com/models/1668ac8eb6464e64bfb4e1b936588398

What I really like about the Gothic 1&2 maps, is that they look as if they were hand-made by some cartographer and not generated by a computer, as in some proportions are exaggerated depending on their significance, like the troll in the upper part of the G2 map, he's not that big, but he is still a huge threat. Also the G1 map I posted, it's not a complete map as nobody has explored the southern region to map it out, only after befriending an orc, does he help you complete the map. They also did quest markers right, in that while the game doesn't have them, for some important quests you were given a map of the region with the placement of the artifacts/monsters you needed to collect/kill. Most importantly you actually had to buy the map, so in the beginning you didn't even know where you were, though as long as you followed the main road, you would eventually reach one of the major factions.

bruh
why are you doing this to me
i wanna sleep

Is that from an artbook for the series or something? Any chance you've got a link or could dump it on Mega or something down the line?

This guy's got a ton of concept art and renders.
faberfiles.blogspot.com/search/label/Bionicle

see

Yes.

Why'd they make the roads so damn wide in GTA V's map?
Even if it's technically larger than IV's Liberal city or the ones from SA it feels smaller thanks to being so easy to traverse/having fewer buildings.

>faberfiles.blogspot.com/search/label/Bionicle
Neat, thanks.

At least we still have the MNOGs, is there any other worthwhile Bionicle games? I fucking loved the early stuff so much, every time I get this feel it makes me want to go and buy all the early Rahi sets.

The breath of the wild map seems fairly uninteresting - does the game have many different "biomes" or is it as samey as it looks on the map?

It's nearly as bad as Skyrim, which was pretty much just solid tundra.

Because California's streets are wide. And LA itself is a very spread out city

BotW has desert, grasslands, snow/tundra, savannah, and forest. It has a surprisingly diverse level of environments. And the games engine actually adjusts average temperature based on altitude and the mountains bioms react accordingly.

Good times.

I think he meant far right.

Isn't that the one with a couple plane-shaped buildings nearby?

I remember hearing decent things about the DS one. Also maybe the GBA one, but I could be confusing it with something else.

I have no idea what you're talking about, pal. That's a C&C Generals map.

Do they look like this?

I love WWII maps tbh. Everyone says that WWII games have boring maps because everything looks the same.
If everything looks the same then you're an autist. There is nothing more comfy than a rainy French countryside.

Fags, all of you

Shit taste

Good taste user

I hope that based user still posts here, he was a true bro.

Yeah, that's it.

Not a big map, but a fun game. Exploring at night while webm is playing is quite comfy.

What are some games that benefit from drawing your own map as you play?

Man, only if they had the extra cartridge space to put all the unique building sprites they originally wanted before adding Kanto

Ecruteak looked sexy with its original sprites

etrian odyssey

Who the fuck is corinthian?

There was plenty Skyrim did wrong, but the physical map it came with was something they did right. They even took the effort to print it on textured paper.

Well when developing levels I think it's nice to use graph paper to plot out a basic layout or floorplan of the level.

Just the guy that made the map, I don't think he's an eceleb or anything.

They ultimately had so much cartridge space they not only had room to add Kanto, but there's also an extra map for each town in Johto from earlier in its development.

The Safari Zone's technically in the game too. If you walk through walls or edit in a door, it'll take you to the lobby, and in turn, to pic 1. There's no exit once you're there.
Oddly enough, this layout kinda resembles the lower half of the Safari Zone in that Gen 2 map.

Also Lake of Rage was originally gonna be a town.
tcrf.net/Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver/Unused_Maps

There's been quite a few Bionicle games on the GBA. Pics 1, 2, and 4 are exclusive to it.
and pics 1 and 2 are the best ones

If I'm not mistaken Iwata worked tirelessly on his own to get Kanto to fit. There is A LOT of content that was cut though.

Ahh, right, forgot to mention that. Gotta wonder why they kept all those beta maps instead of recycling them for more space…

Fuck off cunt san andreas is boring and dull compared to GTA5. Your shitty game will never be as atmospheric.

Not a terribly huge accomplishment. IIRC all of Bethesdas maps are of identical size which is something tiny as fuck like 15 sq mi. I don't know how big BotW is, but it's certainly larger than 15sq mi. If I had to gestimate it's probably somewhere between 30 and 60sq mi. But I think 60 would be the absolute upper bound.

I completely forget that these midget Bionicles that only consisted of a few parts used to exist. Goddamn I miss Bionicle, they should revive the franchise.

Man, what I'd fucking do to get a game with the vastness of some of these open world games but with the elemental powers of the toa at your hand.

Holy shit I didn't know that the Bionicle universe was this thought out, I remeber something about them living in a giant skeleton but I didn't know that it was this cool. Now I know why I thought as a kid that the movie was so good.

What's the third image from?

Yeah… about that…

The original Zelda and Kid Icarus, as I mentioned above. Get out the graph paper and have a fucking blast. The second quest in the original Zelda is godly with graph paper. Can't find the fourth dungeon to save my fucking life though…

Yume Nikki. That part loops forever until you find the right spot.

At this point I wouldn't trust them to do right by it. Fuck, look at that Hero Factory garbage they put out. Much fewer pieces, no gears, etc. Hell, looking at , it already seems off to a bad start. Still not seeing any gears, and remember when each area had a specific, proper name instead of "Region of [X]"? Sometimes it's better to just cherish what you knew than want anything further done with it, much less a revival (or "reboot" as this seems to be).

It's interesting how everyone in here will be able to immediately understand what that note says even if we have no idea how to read Bionicle runes. It's sort of like how everything in a 2x2 layout is recognizable as Loss.

I see a lotta Matoran here.
We need to answer this question once and for all: Who is the best Toa?
My vote is for Kopaka

Taking a quick glance at BioSector01, I can't help but agree: +1 for Kopaka.
Who's best Matoran though? I vote Takua.
Have some OC, fresh from the oven.

Are these maps from a game? I don't remember seeing them playing bg 1 or 2.

I think the first one is from a collector's edition or something. Not sure about the other one.

The Elder Scrolls deserves so much better than what it gets

BANE?

Plebeians.

Maps? More likes slaps, cause that's what you'll be getting you fucking gay boys.

I would have liked that game if they just made battles fun but short instead of just quick.

For Chrono Trigger I don't just mean the 1000 AD map, I mean all five six if you count 1999. Seeing the land masses change as you travel though time is the coolest shit.

They already canceled them in 2016. It was just hero factory under the bionicle brand anyway.
I would buy recasts of the originals though, I never ended up getting the full set to build the combo one, which for some dumb reason they didn't put into the reboot despite that combination stuff being a factor in the drive for children to pester their parents to buy them another.
Fucking hell they couldn't even get the packaging right, the original ones all could fit inside their cases when built and their cases were also a part of the toy itself, but no they went with pointlessly strange shaped cardboard boxes.
Hell the nubionicles were pretty fucking hard to build as something other then they intended them to be built as, there was no room for creativity.

But user, that's the beauty of the Character & Creature Building System™!
I miss Technic. ;_;

This benefits the manufacture not the consumer.

I know…

Didn't know Ultra Alola's map was already out, but here it is.

That seems ominous.

I'm sure it's nothing, really. Not like that's ever happened before or anything…

Thanks user, I've never tried those ones except Heroes which was meh. I really loved the setting of the first few years of the Bionicle franchise. Can't really articulate why but Metru Nui onwards just didn't click with me very much. From the looks of it those first two games might have that same feel.

Nice

In retrospect, at least in regards to Matoran Adventures, the fact that everyone's a recolor of Jala/Jaller and Nokama's suggests the devs either ran out of space or (more likely) ran out of time.

Tales of the Tohunga was meant to accompany the cancelled Legend of Mata Nui. It's a shame no builds were ever leaked; would've been nice to hear high quality versions of the music they made.
Kinda like that techno/tribal fusion thing they went with the first couple years.
Too bad dropped it afterwards and went with mostly generic orchestra.

Anyway, here's The Bionicle Music: youtube.com/watch?v=v78I_VfIHC0

Did you ever play the point and click adventure game on their website? I remember it was pretty great if you where really into the first generation stuff. I'm pretty sure they have it up somewhere online still.

The terrain is loaded in (large) square chunks and then doodads are loaded based on draw distance. There is no server-side transition between outdoor map regions, each continent has its own instance server. That's why you have loading screens moving between them, because you're getting passed between servers. (Loading screens for boats staying on the same world server are to hide the server teleporting the player.) This was very evident because in Vanilla the world servers would go down frequently and everyone on one continent would be stuck there being unable to connect.

Your "pre-loaded map" is just the terrain you're not meant to see that they didn't bother to detail and without doodads. The reason Orgrimmar stopped drawing in your example is because the client only rendered specific regions in the main cities to improve performance (both client side to reduce the amount of players to draw and server side to need to reduce the number of other client positions you need to be sent). That's why old OG/SW had some many twists that block vision.

I realize I'm replying to 5 day old shit but thought someone might be interested.

OP here, I'm interested, thank you

That was the MNOG in question.

/comfy/

Before I forget, here's an archive with all the online games, among other things.
biomediaproject.com/bmp/games/

This pleases me greatly.

What is this? Wurm or Autismcraft?

I used to have a crush on her

Nope.

Something tells me that the fourth map is from Doom, but no idea which one it was.

Thank god for fan made maps.

GregF made a mistake retconning their capacity for romantic love.

Play morrowind then, that games map that came with the game actually got me to find my first vampire stronghold and other cool shit.

I was obsessed with the shareware versions of the exile games as a kid and always wondered what lay behind the paywall in the depths of that great subterranean kingdom
Years later, I discover the games were remade as avernum and can't seem to summon the patience or enthusiasm to play them
I figure they'll be maximum comfy during the long winter months, so I'll save them until then

Excellent games, though I played a lot more of xeen than the 3d games
There was something infinitely charming about the blistering technicolour dreamscapes of xeen
Do you have the maps for 3? The idea of traversing multiple shattered realms in space seemed cool

:^)

I'd have to check and see.

Many old RPGs in the 80s and early 90s. Also some different dungeon crawlers since it was easy to get lost without a reliable map.

La Plata

What's that Prague map from?

Looks like Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption

Nice stuff, we need more of these from old school games. I wonder if anyone has maps for stuff like Super Mario World.

Who knew Argentina could do something right?

one of my most favorite games ever. I had most of it memorized. I made my own maps for a few of the larger levels.

that would have ruined the game for me. You can instantly see what the level and puzzles are about if you can see the entire level at one time.

Riding the turtle was pretty fun.

i always thought maps like that could be boring to play on though

Have some.

Where is the first one from

Sacred 2

Thanks, I coincidentally downloaded sacred 2 a few days ago.

I would say Kopaka too, I liked the later Toa designs more though and the Barraki series was really cool too.

System shock. Also Bioshock 1 and 2 because I actually liked them.

Mah nigga.Them, the visorak and phantoka were my favorites.

Holy shit I completely forgot about the Phantoca, damn those were cool as fuck and I liked the mini insect models you got with them. Goddamn this brings back memories.

I love cool detailed maps like those.

Best Toa aside, what kind of Toa would you be?

Officially, Water, Lightning, and Psionics are exclusively female, and every other element is exclusively male besides Light and Shadow, which can be either. Masks can be forged/carved to look however you want, but you can't access their powers if they aren't a mask. The "default" shapes also make their powers easier to identify, so keep that in mind. Feel free to ignore any of this as necessary.

I kind of forgot how some of those old grad based RPGs had more simplistic maps. Random encounters I think made some games seem longer with the grind.

A memorable part of the Company of Heroes singleplayer campaigns was the sitrep maps.

That's got to be Soviet levels of despair living in that mess. Boxy sprawl for days.

Got any more of those maps?

autist has offically lost all meaning now

Have you ever made any maps for already existing levels in games?

So what game is the first map from?

Come to think of it, where do all 3 of the maps come from game wise?

The Hexen devs knew their shit. God bless them and what they made

Can any of you name games that feature topographic maps? What about games that involve actively navigating by the player in a world that you can easily get lost in?

I wish I could just set my ship to auto pilot with an out of game timer and go into "deep sleep" until I get back into the bubble.

Pokémon Colosseum, as seen in .

Why was Hoenn the best region?

Arma.

MGSV:TPP does, it's fun to find good routes and overlooks by studying the lines.

kek

Have any more of these? Where did you find them? They're only labeled by number so I don't know which map they are since I haven't played it yet.

Shameless self-promotion

What game is this from?

Meant to respond to this.

I remember this map

Some solid maps in here. Don't think anyone has posted these though.

Tried searching for the name of the game from the file name but didn't find anything. Reverse image search comes up empty.

Holy shit I haven't thought about that game in years. It really was fantastic though. Best theme on the NES flatout.

Big fucking map coming trough

Shouldn't Silent Hill be called Silent Lake?

I like maps, but not really a fan of in game maps. They are far to lazy. I prefer when people make their own maps.

what romhack is this?

Apologies for the late response. The first map is the world of Inferia from Tales of Eternia. The second is the map of Filgaia from Wild Arms (PS1), and the third WA5's Filgaia (each continent is reachable via train and has its own separate overworld music). Here's a map of WA2's Filgaia from the 10th anniversary artbook XSEED brought over as well.

Unfortunately, I've not found a map in that same style for Celetsia, Inferia's counterpart world. The craymel (elemental spirit) distribution of each world determines the climate: Inferia is sunny and has a calm, sunny, and warm clime due to the presence of Fire, Wind, Water, and Light, while Celestia is dreary, cold, and stormy, with more cliffs than beach due to the spirits of earth, ice, thunder, and shadow residing there.

It's an old Chinese bootleg that tried to cram in as much of the SNES game in

Got it covered.

Just open up the WAD in GZDoom builder.

something doesn't seem right here

Sadly, this is the only image I could find.

What game?

Spacey type maps like the Mass Effect 1 galaxy map are really damn cool when done right

To me, this game was amazingly comfy. Had 4 friends with a GBA and managed to clear the story with them. I adore the OST. Wii U had such potential for another part with instead of a GBA you'd hold a 3DS but I still hold hope they'll do something like that for Switch.

I wish Nintendo has made more use of the Wii-U pad for cool things like maps or inventory screens. They just added it on as a pricey gimmick instead of a fun gaming tool.

I can almost see it.

Skeletons don't live inside of us we live inside one giant skeltor!

I honestly didn't even notice those 3 maps looked identical until now. But apparently the person who made them stated they were different rooms in the description on the right so I guess the devs just recycled a couple of levels.

user, if that's what the skeltor looks like from here then we're not actually inside it. Yet.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, for the GameCube.

Seems there's another wew'em map.

Never found a game that handled level maps quite as elegantly as Thief.
Thief 1 for its story relevant map inaccuracies
Thief 2 for its detailed maps that you could write on

That is really neat. A+

i agree. very immersive combined with a compass

white and based

Some Parasite Eve maps.

Fucking DayZ made me pro at reading topo maps.

Some Red Baron maps.

Remember when games contained color manuals with effort to them and sweet little extras like maps?

the entirety of the 1999 map in the original rom was only detailed as far as the cutscenes that showed it, leaving a bunch of blank area.
Interestingly enough, alpha footage in an interview with the devs also showed only those parts despite that they were flying the Epoch around in it.

luckily, fans are an ambitious bunch and made a map for 1999 that accounts for continental drift quite nicely

Did someone ask for a fucking MAP?

This is the map that meant the most to my childhood.

I think the Daggerfall map is the most impressive but this is the map that meant the most to me at the tender age of 5

I still want to beat the living shit out from the person who thought satellit-view with dense fog is a good thing for a fucking fantasy game map!

What old SNES game is that?

That's TES: Daggerfall.

they dont tend to see as much variety or thinking on your feet but theyre usually worth playing on a few times

Not to mention they did a shit job with the map itself; it's like they took the original and put it through an auto-lod without any adjustments. As usual, mods fixed it.

Thank God I'm not the only person who thinks Skyrims in-game map was complete garbage. It looks fucking awful. Most games give their map a unique aesthetic that looks like an actual map, wither its some paper stylization or something that simulates a GPS. But NOPE, instead we get this ugly overworld render. I think the reason they did this was pure laziness, because making a good looking map would've taken an actual artist who can draw shit to do. But instead they just made a scaled-down render of the overworld they already had and left it at that. It pisses me off

that looks so much more charming with roads

Stylized maps always look better than the vanilla 3D rendered maps. Especially in the days of early 3D games like on the PS1, Saturn, and N64. At least back then there were technology and storage limitations (plus the fact PC gaming wasn't the same back then either), but these days there aren't really any excuses for lazily done maps and assets.

I hate how linear maps and progression have become, specifically in RPGs and first person shooters.

I remember how many FPS's used to contain 2D maps for you to look at as you explored, eventually as console FPS's became a bigger thing maps started to matter less as games became more linear so it was less likely you'd be backtracking or trying to figure out where to go.

I love Half-life but it is pretty linear user, it has some counter examples here and there, but overall it's the same as the 2012 pic, just that instead of having 4 cutscenes it had 1 in the middle plus 4 long scripted sequences. And instead of having a DLC it had two expansions, one of which had fuckall content and was pretty much not worth it.

I mean at some point everything that isn't an RPG has a sense of being linear or having backtracking to it. Dark Forces is one of my favorite FPS games but generally features different forms of backtracking or sometimes going in circles. It's more just how you can approach the different points in each level due to the level design that allows you to get some variation out of it, IMO, even if some things about each level are bound to have annoyances (like level 3 of Dark Forces).

Sorry I forgot to respond to this. Thanks for the info. I remember watching some let's play footage of the game to see how the Elder Scrolls games before Morrowind played, just forgot that the map looked like that.

They shouldn't have had maps. System Shock gets a pass because it's actually an RPG.

What game user?

He posted the lower half of

I'm glad we've never had a Link that looks like that ugly shit since those days.

Isn't there larger versions of these? I just remember those full-map renders being painful as fuck to run on my old-ass Pentium 3 machine with somewhere along the lines of 512MBs of RAM back in those days. So I could be remembering things wrong and that is the full version and I'm taking modern computing power for granted

That's one angry looking boulder.

Looks more like a low quality ghost when I first looked at them.

Considering the old Pokemon games were on super low res handheld screens there's probably only so much detail that's necessary for the map.

W
E
W W
E E E
W W W
E E E
W W
E
W

test
==test==
'''
test
'''

Final bampu

This thread has been up for over a month.
Nice

Before this dies, anyone has that pokemon world map, fan made but put as a low res prop on sun/mon?

Bump limit's on 300 or 350? I forget

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but this map's present in ORAS as a lowres texture.
Given the presence of all these variant maps of Hoenn, I'm inclined to believe it's just an easter egg.
That and I adamantly refuse to believe the world of Pokémon is not geographically parallel to Earth.

Yeah, we're bumplocked. Post limit's 300.