Set in a world where humans and octopi are at war with each other...

The actual game description sounds good, but I can't get over the hipster visuals putting '1989' limitations into a 16:9 720p display.

Let me guess, the sound isn't even remotely reminiscent of what a Gameboy actually sounded like either, isn't it?

Well the blurb I posted there claims that it uses 'Game Boy-era instrumentation' so that's a maybe. I mean it's not like it's that hard to use LSDJ.

I think it's just the idea of a big platformer like this with lots of powers and places to explore, the game sounds like it's pretty big, just worries me when I see all that obvious nostalgia shit. I love the original Game Boy too, but I don't think you should make a game like this unless you're actually developing for the original hardware.

If you're not gonna show off technical prowess by making something impressive that could ACTUALLY run on the original hardware, then just make a goddamn modern game that doesn't hurt to look at.

I just wish games would be finished. JoyLancer was doing okay and then the devs dropped off the face of the planet. It was also trying to do a GB inspired style and then introduced "DX Mode" so you could have more colors.

As for it being in 16:9, or being >8mb I don't really give a fuck, but my hopes for this game aren't that high regardless purely because they chose this ugly meme green, instead of going with a more relaxed palette.

I honestly don't get purists. The guy even says it's meant to me a homage/inspired by the era's limitations, not meant to run on the hardware.
Nearly nobody these days bothers to make shit that would run on the original hardware because a miniscule amount of people are going to appreciate it. Most devs just set themselves a limitation to work with. The actual hipster faggots who develop for obsolete consoles and sell cartridges should be ridiculed, the effort put towards that could be focused on something more important.

So what he's saying is that he chose to make the game look like varying shades of puke. Also
Disparaging hipsters aside, are you the judge of what's "important" or something?

I mean, yeah. Some people do like the look, doesn't mean the guy has to adhere to 100% of the same limitations. These days pixel art is a stylistic choice, not a necessity.
I think good gameplay, polish and making sure a lot of people have access to your game is objectively more important than putting in a gargantuan effort to make sure your game would run exactly like ye olde games. Those things are going to be appreciated by a lot more people.

Gameboy is for faggots, Lynx is the real deal.

Battery life > Colored Screen

Looks both inauthentic and fucking ugly.

You are 100% correct I have an atari lynx and I never used it because it needed 6 AA batteries and lasted fuck all.

After upgrading to a gameboy pocket I could get after market battery packs and play as much as I wanted it was godly.

are you retarded?

You're all fags

Turboexpress nigger

Just replace them with lithium.

Game gear has even shorter battery life and is slightly less powerful than lynx.

You're opinions are shit.
Pixel art is unforgiving to those who don't follow the rules. Either do it right or use a different style.

Nintoddlers in charge of system maintenance I'll half bet you all let your systems screens fade over time over repair and replacement.

my nigga

What are the top5 best Lynx games?
I've never even checked a gameplay of that thing.

In other words, "geek is chic!" Disgusting.

Why would anyone have nostalgia for the gameboy? Had some decent games, but the hardware was complete shit. It went through batteries like a whore, needed light being shone directly onto it to see anything, and was too bulky to be truly portable. The Gameboy Color was a little bit better, but Gameboys weren't "good" until Gameboy Advance. Until then the fucking things needed 3 accessories just to be reasonably playable.