Halo

Anyone have a screen or video of this odd Halo asset? There is supposedly an image of the beta headlong map in the reflection map on one of the buildings.

"If you fly out to sea and turn left you will see a glass wall and it will reflect a prototype edition of the map before it was evolved into Headlong as we know it. "

halo.wikia.com/wiki/Headlong

Other urls found in this thread:

gameclipscontent-d3017.xboxlive.com/xuid-2533274805591413-private/7cd762b9-df77-418c-9ac1-44d5e565978c.MP4?sv=2015-12-11&sr=b&si=DefaultAccess&sig=+UiEdo9qcZhatCXU1Jqa5L0Xb2pxvQYNpj5nNLUOi14=&gda=1504168826_16e50d6545cd46e275357693fbc0c656
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You can get Halo 2 vista running pretty easily via project cartographer on PC, but i'll check on MCC for you

As a heads up though, you should be using Halopedia, not the Wikia wiki, as your Halo wiki of choice, as Halopedia's editors are much better, as it's the original group of editors and staff from before they left the wikia site to make halopedia.

I don't think it's anything particularly interesting user. They just used a screen they took of the beta map as a reflection mesh and simply didn't bother changing it when they updated the map because the felt like nobody would be autistic enough to notice.

Whoops, fell asleep, will do it now

People who were 6 years old when Halo came out are in their 20s now, user. I'm sorry.

I haven't played any Halo games, but want to someday on a classic game binge

"console shooters suck"
"halo ruined shooters. fuck halo"

here OP

gameclipscontent-d3017.xboxlive.com/xuid-2533274805591413-private/7cd762b9-df77-418c-9ac1-44d5e565978c.MP4?sv=2015-12-11&sr=b&si=DefaultAccess&sig=+UiEdo9qcZhatCXU1Jqa5L0Xb2pxvQYNpj5nNLUOi14=&gda=1504168826_16e50d6545cd46e275357693fbc0c656

You need to copy past that entire string, not sure why it broke the link up into two parts

They're still underage.

Halo came out in 2001. If somebody was 16 when it came out, they'd be 32 now. If they were 12, they'd be 28. Also, Quake 4 and UT3 both came out not even just after the first Halo game, but after Halo 2.

The "Halo ruined FPS's" and "Halo is for babies" meme needs to die. Holla Forums only hates Halo because it's popular.

Halo was fun, fuck you.

While I don't disagree with you, the "Holla Forums only hates X because it is popular" meme needs to die.

In this case it's accurate though. Halo's got actual attention and effort put into both it's SP and MP, unlike just one with most FPS's, tons of user created content tools, uses the entire color spectrum and has good visual design in general, a great soundtrack, tons of lore to sperg and make theories over, and a huge amount of content for each game.

If it wasn't xbox exclusive and wasn't super popular Holla Forums would shill and love it as much as they do Mount & Blade, Stalker, Metal Gear, etc

Is Halo even popular anymore? It seems like it has seriously died off in the last 4 years.

Maybe so, but the whole 'Holla Forums only hates it because its popular' lot just seems to be so overused at this point, it seems to take credibility away.
It's just far too often used to defend really shitty games.

Halo's different, you ask me though. Even for the times, I'd say it was a fair mile above most the shooters it was competing against. Maybe 2, and probably 3 you can make a case against, but Halo CE at least was a pretty solid cut, you ask me.
Only complain I can really see is the repeat levels but backwards bit, though I'd argue the flood add enough of an interesting element for me to tolerate it.

343 doesn't exist, there's been no Halo games since ODST.

That's because a certain shitcompany killed it, inflated the corpse, and tried to pass it off as alive while fucking it in the ass.

Oh, and Microsoft are jews and won't give us prior games properly ported to the PC.

Holla Forums hating Halo dates back years long before just because it was popular. I still remember back when it came out people complained it was too casual and was going to have an impact on making FPS as a whole more Casualized by things trying to imitate it.

You have to remember the time Halo 1 came out was around the time of the Arena shooter dying out.

Arena Shooters remained alive and well long after Gaylo 1 my dude. Just because you were a console pleb growing up who wasn't apart of the Arena Shooter scene doesn't mean it was "dying out" it was still thriving into the Halo 3 era

Except as mentioned in that's not really accurate. Quake and UT still had releases well into 2007, Halo itself was an arena shooter as well, etc

this

Reach is good, as is 5's forge and MP, and 343's novels, barring the kilo 5 books, have been great.

did anyone think that Halo was "casualized" because it was console exclusive and the controller is very limited compared to pc shooters

And Neither UT or Quake during that period were very successful.

Also as an Idort who mainly played on PC back then go fuck yourself.

Halo CE is the only truly good halo game and Halo 2 and 3 are guilty pleasures

Arena shooters were cancer, anyway.

Okay, that's a bit harsh. They weren't total cancer. But I never liked them, too jerky, too high-velocity. They seemed to revolve around being flashy.
I prefer my shooters more tactical. Not the modern twitch-regen health trash, mind you. But where I'm actually clearing corners, thinking about my next move, and planning shit out.

Playing Halo CE on legendary, I got that fairly often. Even if the solution was, 80% the time, just a matter of using a plasma pistol.
Plasma pistol best gun in the game, incidentally. Certainly for AI enemies.

Reach is shit, and if you ever bring up 5's anything I will find you.
Also, 343's novels were shit.
I liked the old, mysterious, less fucking pretentious lore.
To be fair, it ain't like I read a lot of 343's shit, or for that matter've read any of the old jazz recently, but still.

arena shooters were the only good shooters

Nigger please stick to shit you actually know about and stop spouting conjecture

Halo 3 for the multiplayer.
Halo 2 for the cutscenes.
The story was pretty okay in that, though some people disliked the splitting with Arbiter. Campaign in general, though, 'least as far as gameplay was concerned, was lackluster. You pretty much always had to have a carbine or battle rifle with you. It wasn't ideal, and otherwise, the newer enemies were just boring or stupid feeling. Brutes, especially. Just fucking charged you. They were just spongeyer elites who didn't take cover.

level design and weapon balance, the things that matter most in an arena shooter, make Halo CE the best one, the only real flaw in the level design is that they are repetitve other wise, it's pretty solid

Ah yes I forgot the much beloved and critically acclaimed Enemy Territory: Quake Wars sold wonderfully.

Next time try projecting harder boy it suits you.

let me rephrase that, a game should be judged on its singleplayer alone and shouldn't need multiplayer to be fun, so Halo CE still holds up

Nigger I'm not even talking about that shit game. Quake 3 and UT were active well into the mid '00s and it wasn't even Gaylo that would dethrone them. It was shit like CS:Source and eventually TF2

Multiplayer levels were amazing in that game. Campaign was a bit more hit-or-miss, but I think by large it was pretty okay.
The teleport multiplayer map is still my favorite, though. That, and hang 'em high were the two I always played with my cousins.

Incidentally, I have very fond memories of 2's multiplayer as well, though not for the same reasons.Halo 2's were the absolute best maps to fuck around in.
Clogging the conveners on that one with the explosive barrels, jumping warthogs all over the place and trying to race at the construction site. DLC maps were also interesting, even if it was a bit cancer to throw in DLC map packs like that.

But CE is easily the most flawed Halo game in terms of single player and has the least amount of content for multiplayer

It's extremely tedious and repetitive.

2 is better then 3 in every way other then forge, IMO

Forge, and the online multiplayer. 2 had it, as well, but it was in the early days, and not widely populated.

I would definately argue that in terms of general community 2 had 3 beat, early xbox live was a lot more chill and fun then it was by the time hlao 3 and reach rolled around, you could just randomly join customs in Halo 2 online that your friend or your friend of a friend was in and they'd allow you to stay without kicking you.

Halo CE is flawed, but it is the best of the halo games

CE definitely has flaws, but I'd make the case that it works by those.
Especially in the case of the 'last 3 levels' bit. Despite being copies of prior levels, it never feels badly so. Especially when it comes to the Maw.

Incidentally, I'd personally disagree with the "general lack of realistic scaling or decoration to make environments feel distinct or like real places" lot.
I very much remember most the areas I had gone through, and can't remember any major scaling issue outside of perhaps the Library level. Otherwise, the 'decoration' for shit like the Pillar of Autumn was spot on, you ask me, and when it came to forerunner structures, left an air of 'ancient abandoned installations', which I quite liked.
The forerunner bits were a bit stupid, at times, in that you couldn't really tell what they were for, but I certainly remember the big beacony buildings of the 2nd mission.

it's definitely not near as good as doom or quake, but it's good, wholesome christian fun that I can play while my portrait of jesus christ looks down smiling upon me

Halo made shooters better. Without Halo, modern day FPS games would be even worse. Look at the Battlefield series today. That level of gameplay wouldn't be possible if Halo hadn't been released.

I see what you did there.

Ok

I heavily disagree, CE's extreme repetitiveness and tedium and lack of content really hurts it. For reference, IMO:

2 > ODST > Reach > 3 >> CE = 4 > 5

2A > 2 = 5 >> Reach = CE > 3 >> 4

>Forge/Customs/etc
5 > 2A > Reach >> 4 = 3 > 2 > CE

2 > CE >> 5 > 3 = 4 >> Reach

ODST > 2 >> 3 > CE >> 4 > 5

Atmosphere
ODST >> Reach > 4 > CE >> 2 > 3 >> 5

5 > Reach > CE >>>> 4 > 3 >> 2

Note that on a purely mission basis, not counting story, i'd actually put 4's SP's over CE, as it does much of the same things, good and bad; without being as tedious; and that while 2 has objectively less custom/forge options, I actually had the most fun with it overall in customs due to the early xbox live community.

Reach obviously also overall has the most amount of content in every Halo game and gets bonus points for that.

I very much remember most the areas I had gone through, and can't remember any major scaling issue outside of perhaps the Library level. Otherwise, the 'decoration' for shit like the Pillar of Autumn was spot on, you ask me, and when it came to forerunner structures, left an air of 'ancient abandoned installations', which I quite liked.

I really disagree. When I look at locations in the other halo games, especially Reach and 2, the places feel like real places, whereas CE very distinctly just feels like locations designed as video games that have a very sterile, 90's/early 20's video game coordior feel to them that's plain.

4 does the same sort of atmosphere with abandoned rueins with synth music for them that CE does, but better, IMO, it's one of the few things it did right.

A big part of Bungie's design philosophy is primarily concentrated on their multiplayer first the single player campaign second, this started in Marathon. All that other bullshit about sperging out over the "deepest" of lore is something teenagers and kids do over their favorite games do, just one more reason to toss it into the "baby's first shooter" pile.
No I wouldn't, first off the Metal Gear Solid franchise was really fucking popular and Stalker isn't some cult classic diamond in the rough popularity by itself means nothing and attirbuting it as the main reason is just a bunch of bullshit. Second the controller and mouse+keyboard does not handle the same way at all, this is readily apparent to anyone who has played both a controller and a mouse+keyboard. The addition of console crutches like aim assist simply makes the differences even more clear.

I find it funny that the ones crying about halo 1 ruining video games rarely actually played the game. Halo 2 took a giant shit on the series and fps games in general though, fuck halo 2. There is a reason why Halo CE is still active.

Explain how CE is better then 2 given that 2 has better MP maps, more content, actual customs, a way less tedious and repetitive campaign, a much better story, and a better soundtrack

Simple. It plays like garbage compared to 1 and removed the entire final act and just moved it to Halo 3. Halo 2 was the beginning of them no longer giving a fuck about the IP and focused more on keeping that shekel train running.

clarify

sp wise halo ce would be the best despite the re used levels. core mp wise it is also the best because anything can happen in a match. you can kill a player in half a second just with the magnum alone and with 2 there is no possibilities. you cannot miss a shot with the br with the absurd amount of auto aim. i will say halo 2 had amazing maps though.
atmosphere wise halo ce is best because your discovering a whole new planet and its a start of a new adventure. the level design compliments this too. your not just running down a straight corridor like halo 2 forerunner levels. i found that game really tedious outside of delta halo and new mombasa levels

i remember people saying there was a way to open the giant blast door on headlong and people would set up custom rooms just trying to blast it down with tanks and shit, that musta been the last complete bullshit "mew under the truck" rumor circulating out there before steady internet access for everyone killed all of those

Eat shit grandpa, times are changing

Technically HPC was properly ported. Funny enough it was thanks to GEARBOX of all companies we got Custom Edition and the very tools Bungie used to author their maps with only a few things locked (which were quickly unlocked by members of the community).

HCE was fun, it wasn't just map edits you could have entirely new maps with new weapons, bipeds,vehicles, etc.

Halo as a series has issues, but people who blame it tend to blame it essentially for being what others copied.

To be fair and to counter your argument. Combat Evolved almost didn't ship with MP. the MP focus was actually last and done by a skeleton crew.

Nah. Fuck HALO and fuck you for having shit taste.

t. /vr/

The thing that people hate the most about Halo is not the game itself, it's the community which really is a blend of insufferable faggotry. Halo had a heavy hand in sparking the "Dudebro" audience while also being "babies first shooter" but that issue is not what the majority of you faggots think. The real issue with it being "babies first shooter" is that you had a generation of extremely annoying kids growing up with it and in many ways that was entirely the audience of this game.
The games may not have been shit although after 2 they really did begin shitting the bed but you did feel that the developers were actively designing the game to attract kids and cater more towards them while pretending they weren't. Gears of War did this for a while successfully before it just crashed, GTA kind of manages it still while Call of Duty was the King before sort of losing out to recently Battlefield.
In short Kids and Dudebros are stupid, they're annoying and pretty much not the kind of group you want to play with. Not the game but the community people hate the most.

That was Micrsoft's call, and they changed everything as far back as "Outskirts" if the 2003 gameplay is to be believed.

i stopped playing when i couldn't play as a pink alien anymore

Originally the MP for HCE was battlefield style, but when they were told to put it on the xbox a lot of it couldn't come over so they gave the reigns to one guy. Watch this gives some good insight.

at least post the good stuff

IGN has my two favorite vidya interviews of all time with Max Hoberman, who was the lead for H2's MP and networking and also did a lot of MP for CE, and he explained that as well.

Both are really fantastic, but I can't link to them because the board ownerr is a faggot and auto filters links to sites.

One is the podcast unlocked episode with him, the other is the IGN live broadcast for MCC

lolno it's because it's shit

explain why it's shit