Any game where you got honestly lost or at least wondered "how the fuck did I get here?"

Any game where you got honestly lost or at least wondered "how the fuck did I get here?"

Every goddamn game has a map, minimap and some kind of objective tracker, so you spend more time looking at those things than actually looking around, studying the environment and figuring where to go.

Some good examples of games without any of those garbage mechanics ?
+ Ive been looking for a game that has a map but doesnt show your position on it, so you have to actually use the map like you would in real life and figure where you are on it.

You're looking for Thief The Dark Project and Thief The Metal Age. One of your basic items is a compass so you can figure stuff out much more easily, and the maps are hand drawn and meant to convey that it's the project of Garrett's handdrawing and recon or some old blueprints rather than some magic tour guide map.

Play La Mulana. You'll get lost pretty fucking quick.

Project Zomboid

Phantasy star 1 and 2.

And those maps are vague as shit, some doesn't even match the level because the scenery had changed from when the map was drawn. Such a great game, completely lost finding secret shit you don't even need but it's cool anyway.

The room/area you're in lights up slightly when you look at the map, so you always know roughly where you are though.

Thief 1&2 are easy to get lost in. So is doom, especially the first WAD, despite the fact that you have a map.

damn, never realized spelunky is such a ripoff

I really cannot stand turn-based anything
I need real time gameplay

Always wanted to play that, other great gameplay aspects aside, this just gave me another reason to try it out

what's the game in op's pic ? Looks fun

that's world of warcraft, christ, some people

Have you ever actually tried to use the map in doom? if anything it makes you more lost because levels in doom don't tend to follow any kind of functional design.

Try some Zork mufugga

Try the Wizardry series or the Bards Tale series.

Ha, did no that. Good thing i'm good with maps and compasses, would be lost forever.

The long dark

Metroid 1-2 are exactly what you described. Big ass maze with no in game map.

yeah, wow had that effect on me before they put quest markers in
example being when i was leveling in redridge
i didn't know the world yet, so when i saw the pass to the burning steppes i thought i was supposed to go there
little did i know i was 30 levels lower than i needed to be, got killed by imps

The early might and magic games only let you use the map by casting the spell eagle eye, and even then you needed to draw everything on graph paper. Later on they added a minimap/map, but it still had fog of war and required a lot of exploration.

Deus Ex is another good game with no maps.

ArmA. Although it is more about, "Where is the friendly and the enemy and where am I"

Well wow still had a map and minimap that showed your exact position, and that makes a huge difference.

When youre given only a map, and you dont know where you are on it, you have to use your surroundings and figure that out, or remember where youve been and use that to help figure out where you are, etc.

But when you get a map, and a precise position of yourself on it, you dont care about what the fuck is around you, you just go forward, and make sharp turns based on the pointer on the map. Sometimes you can navigate yourself even without taking your eyes off the map.

And yeah, after they introduced the quests marks it turned into a fucking borefest. If you could target enemies and cast spells while looking at the map, you wouldnt even need the fucking GUI half the time. Its not like anything can kill you anyway.

fuck if I never know where im at on that