*blocks your path*

What is the most satisfying unit type in RTS games and why is it the phalanx?

Wrong, it's this big guy

disdainforplebs.jpg

It's actually the Vulture, but nice attempt OP.

but user you posted a RTT

Testudo almost never gets used in game

haha fucking fairies with your toothpicks

Enjoy getting shot at by heavy horse archers, and then getting buttfucked from all sides when you've been worn down, and demoralized.

Big lumbering Kbot that guns things down with its arm cannons, head-mounted BLoD, and swarms of missiles
Slowly strafing while pelting enemies with rockets, never gets old to see them wipe out small bases or columns of enemies.

what game is this lol

Implying we have not already killed them with cavalry charges while your shield wall just sits there.

which game has the best phalanx/testudo?
the grand strat aspect of total war games feels poorly done to me, other options?
AOE2 doesn't touch on phalanx efficiency at all, aside from a very tiny bonus for slavs

all ways loved this motherfucked

What's the deal with real time anything? It's not real, and the strategy isn't usually about time!

Yes I agree. Trees are always the best units in any game.

*blocks your path*

Which is also historically accurate, Romans used the testudo very little compared to the three-lines formation.

*blacks your path*

what made rome 1 so good ?

That better be bait.

>implying I wouldn't fuck that

*calvary flanks behind you*

Nothing personal, kid

Too bad the game is so easy and the pathfinding in cities is total ass.

*shatters your sky*

gave me a chuckle user, thanks

Mammoth Tank assembled

EU4

My negro, get a vindi and you can be a snug smug in your turtle fortress while still destroying the enemy base.

M2TW: Longbowmen, put stakes in the ground; hard counter cav is now fucked, infantry have to to walk up a hill while while getting Swiss cheesed, Mongols cry.

Empire/Napoleon: Artillery center, canister shot.

I still haven't played the sequel yet.

WHAT

Offtopic but does anybody have good roman era warfare documantaries/videos? I'm not against reading but I've never been really good at grasping certain information without imagery.

This guy has some nice stuff.

It's interesting in a pure strategy aspect. I'll look around for more in depth videos to provide context though. I'de like to see more on the technology for war they developed and how their units functioned on a more in depth scale. This is enough to satisfy me to some extent though. Many thanks.

Arty in WiC was better though because it damaged the terrain. I loved turning the map into WW1 nomans land.

*dishonors you path*

unsheathes TRIARII
*Impedes your cavalry*
pssh, nothing personal barbarian.

Fun fact: nobody thought firearms dishonorable until some heavy romanticism in the 19th century. It just was rare to have warrior aristocrats use them because their life time of training was often better used elsewhere.

Same for glorious nippon? Weren't firearms considered foreign weapons?

Bushin' away!

*teleports behind you*
Pssh nothin personel kid

Japs took to firearms like fish to water and rapidly modernized their armies. Samurai even tried to develope firing methods akin to martial arts to maintain superiority in skill compared to lower class soldiers. Only during the peaceful Edo period guns weren't very useful in the small skirmishes, so the upper class kept them tightly locked away and controlled their distribution, giving rise to the myth that nips didn't like guns. They just didn't need them.

Destroying the Phalanx with the mobility of legionnaires is more fun.

I always have at least 4 in all my chaos armies.

>>>/cuckchan/

They got their asses handed to them until the Roman generals realized that the only way to break through the Greek phalanx was by using heavy cavalry at their flanks.
The Roman infantrymen never managed to win against the phalanx. It was all thanks to massive amounts of heavy cavalry and the incompetence of mercenaries that the Greeks payed to defend the front line's flanks.

Jungle Fever is a serious condition, user.

Ok.

Greeks never had better cavalry. Where did I say that? Cavalry was never even that relevant in Greece until the Peloponnesian war. The Romans on the other hand had a lot of experience with fighting Carthage and realized the importance of heavy cavalry. Without the use of their cavalry, Rome had no way of beating the Greeks.

That's bullshit, stop being a faggot. The Phalanx was considered soundly inferior to Legionaries after the Battle of Pydna and Battle of Cynoscephalae. It was denounced as inflexible and easy to beat using textbook tactics.

I like Greek Warfare but to imply this is borderlining fanboyism.

Nigger I said that they used cavalry to flank the Greek phalanx because it was impossible for the Romans to penetrate frontally. What part about that statement is considered fanboyism?
The legions were more effective in close combat - but the only way they could get in close conbat was by creating gaps in the Greek phalanx. And to do that they were forced to use cavalry to hit the flanks.

post more

Not, you said:
>the only way to break through the Greek phalanx was by using heavy cavalry at their flanks
>The Roman infantrymen never managed to win against the phalanx
And that's fucking wrong. Blatantly wrong. And that's the fanboyism right there.

Ain't got no more.

POTTERY

Yah the romans tried that, and got BTFO by horse archers.

The Macedonians were renowned for their cavalry. Also, the Romans won against the phalanx because they were more tactically maneuverable than the long Greek line of spears.

Go back to watching AIDSterix and Obeselix.

Here's your (You).

Actually, the Romans were the only Western power that ever managed to force an Eastern kingdom reliant on horse archers into a stalemate. They won most strategic victories but could never hold the territory for long enough to dig in.

so you're a fag too? makes sense

Greek cavalry was no match against the Romans. It was never used in massive scale and the Greeks didn't have heavy cavalry either.
The Romans could not penetrate the Greek phalanx with their infantry and were forced to use their heavy cavalry against the Greeks. That's how they won.

several turns of getting my kings killed on purpose so that Marcel could be king later

FUCK if only the lifespans were longer in vanilla. I could've conquered the entire map with Marcel

Unmodded Medieval II is like 2 years per turn so characters tend to die really fast. I kind of hate that aspect of it but at the same time think it's alright because of the sheer length of a campaign even when it's sped up that much.

you might as well just sell your base

WE WUZ GREEKS N SHIET

Powerful archers are the most satisfying units, watching enemy units leave trails of corpses and eventually flee before even posing a threat to your infantry formations.

Step aside nerds

Man that reminds me of my first ever playthrough of Medieval II

The next playthrough though I conquered the entirety of the ME with one Doge.

Fuck that noise. Scorched earth is the only language the AI understands.

artillery is the most satisfying unit type

ftfy

Charging cavalry hasn't been satisfying since Medieval 2.

Should I even bother trying to play Shogun 2 or should I just play Medieval II again?

Do you prefer cinematic duels or large scale warfare?

I learned my lesson well after being ripped apart worse than the Swedish Empire.

ITT people who don't know how to use a phalanx properly and base their opinions of it off of TW's dogshit AI

Getting vassals in med2 was really difficult because there was some code that was broken, but it is doable. I have 3 that acted like buffer states around me when I played as the byzantines, and they never betrayed me.

these two together
naval aviation is fun and their 9000 ASFs investment wont save them from it, either

too bad carriers are fucking useless as anything but spammy factories that stop every time you move them

I always hated how ahistorical those things were

Civilization 4; a 4X turn based strategy game with combat that is judged via a rng of sorts, which can lead to what you just saw there- so long as the spearman in question is properly experienced.

Why are you so in love with the Phalanx? Outnumbered Roman armies annihilated Phalanx based armies who even had the advantage of having more cavalry.

I never played a total war game. I recently bought Medieval II. What can I expect? Been wanting to try this series for a while and recently remembered it existed. I am expecting Mount and Blade Microboogaloo

*Flanks your path*