Game Boy Mini Speculations

Since the SNES Mini is not even out yet but has already proved to be a commercial success, I was thinking that the logical step forward for Nintendo to milk nostalgia money out of their fans would be to make a Game Boy Mini.
This realization came to me while I was reading an interview with Star Fox 2 creator, Dylan Cuthbert and his surprise regarding the announcement of SF2 as an official title to be released for the SNES Mini. In said interview, Cuthbert mentions some of his work that wasn't released outside of Japan, particularly a title that you might be familiar with, vector graphics based shooter X (Ekkusu) published by Nintendo in 1992 and which you may know better from the Smash Bros. Brawl/Wii U soundtrack.
archive.is/Vl9FA
Now X doesn't have the brand recognition or autistic fanbase that Star Fox does have but it surely could help boost the sales of a Game Boy Mini and it would be a warm surprise. A GB Mini would be probably a lot cheaper to manufacture than a SNES Mini and has the whole Pokemon Cable Link think going on that they could use for easy genwunner dosh. What do you think? What games would it include?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/n0j0d
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm already pre-ordering GC mini for when it inevitably comes out.

You mean this?

No, I mean something more akin the lines of the already existing Mini products, with built-in games like the GB Boy Colour and small as a Micro.

I'd prefer a rerun of the GBA micro tbh, they could add a 10 in 1 game cartridge to the deal and they're golden.
They probably have the hardware to resell the games they already have.

I'd prefer to be able to read the screen when playing rpgs. Micro a shit.

They can just make a slightly bigger one with a bigger screen

Funny. When sega releases these things they were 19.99 in the toy isle. When nintendo does it they are 79.99 in the electronics section.

I feel the potential GB Mini/Classic will be shaped like the original, though slimmer and smaller like the Pocket version. The bigger changes would be better brighter backlit screen, miniUSB for power, maybe stereo speakers, though might keep the old mono speaker + stereo headphone jack. It'd need a button possibly on the side to go to the menu (placed where the contrast dial was?) and would have GB and GBC titles. I'd imagine a few palette choices for the B&W games like Game Boy Colors did along with the usual Nintendo/Capcom/Konami/SquareEnix properties. The big issue is dealing with Pokemon, how they'd make which version available, and if they'd sell it in colors.

Have you seen the quality of the Sega shit? Worse performance than the original with shitty controls and bad screens.

Those PnP Sega titles are made by AtGames, selling Chinese-knockoff grade products worldwide.

TecToy makes better licenced SEGA shit'

these things are pretty great, I can't wait to build one. It's like a gameboy that plays every library up to PSX, has HDMI and USB so you can connect it like a console, and it's still a computer with a Debian OS.
I think the Gameboy shells are classier, but that's just my taste.

How do you deal with Dualshock and N64 games?

you can add PSP or 3DS nubs, find a PCP board to solder it to, then somehow cram it into the case. The Rpi is pretty generous with what it will accept as input.

The raspi can't handle SSB, every time there's more than two characters on screen or shit moving in the backgrounds, it slows down to a crawl as far as I have tested it, I haven't tried anything else on the 64.
The PSX emulation works fine except for some title where mysteriously the input does nothing.

bump

Give the GameBoy Classic an HDMI port so you can play Super GameBoy versions of games on the TV like GameBoy Donkey Kong and we'll talk.

I mean, they can make it look that way when they don't meet demand. Artificial scarcity making dipshits like you say that it's a commercial success.

What did I do now?

I didn't know how bad I wanted this until now

It has never been done before!

Actually, the correct answer is a N64 mini, because N64 emulation sucks.
archive.is/n0j0d

Just get a smartphone

I'll stick with my Linux, thanks.

I don't know mate, Mupen64 GL via retroarch runs like a charm on my phone

I do agree that the N64 mini could be a big deal for the emulation scene, but realistically it's going to be the same as their VC shit, which is to say highly inaccurate, buggy, and only functional because of game-specific hacks, and if that's the case, we already have Dolphin which runs said VC shit.

They already made those you dipshit

Hey, don't blame the messenger man, it's Nintendo who filed the trademark, not me.

So, the story behind that is that there was a guy who worked at NST during the Wii era and wrote the N64 emulator, but then Project H.A.M.M.E.R. happened and all of NST's employees walked out the fucking door.
So when it came time to do Virtual Console on the WiiU, the best they could do was a shitty port of the Wii N64 VC stuff he had done.

What I don't know is, if Nintendo's really about to do a N64 mini, if that means they found someone who can actually write a N64 emulator again, or if they're just going to try and port the Wii N64 VC while leaving it at 480p yet again.

NST did the Zelda 64 ports for Zelda Collector's Edition back on the Gamecube too, btw.

Most users don't care about accuracy.

Just looked up Project HAMMER drama, and that's very interesting, I had never heard about that.
If that's the case, I'd be genuinely tempted to give Nintendo money for the first time in 18 years.

"Most people" don't care about a lot of important things, like good framerates, for example, but I don't see what that has to do with wanting accurate (and thus highly compatible) emulation.

Isn't Nintendo using a third party for emulation on NES Classic anyway?

Ignoring the fact that the 3ds already covered most of the Gameboy/Color library. I'd say is best that they should a Game & Watch mini. No Game & Watch collection, only the early 80s portable games.

I'm getting retro* burn out with a new old/new emulator system being shilled seemingly every other day. The NES and SNES mini actually look to be pretty smooth experiences but Nintendo is being a cunt with intentionally limited stock to create demand so they're actually contributing to it (and the Youtube shits vlogging about their preorders isn't helping).

*retro, not vintage, which is actually the old thing you enjoyed back in the day

Nobody would buy that shit, a Gameboy however has the whole 90s kid thing going on and Pokemon.
Lol

You know X got a sequel made by Cuthbert/Q-Games on DSiWare called X-Scape (NA) / 3D Space Tank (PAL)? Video related.

How about they release 3 different colored GB classics in red, blue and yellow. Each of those would contain the respective gen 1 Pokemon game.
I'll admit I would rather just see two GB classic colours max and preferably have the original white GB colour be available. And have no idea how to deal with G/S/C because I was just think of gen 1.

Underappreciated post. Also gives us the SGB features we still can't access.

Remakes of the G&W games already exist and are currently available right now in:
>DSiWare individual versions still purchasable on 3DS eShop. Were available on DSiWare shop until store shut down.

Why bother with a G&W classic when you could just use Game & Watch Gallery 1/2/3 and Advance in a single Game Boy Mini Classic?

Clearly nobody knew

The big issue with Super Game Boy enhancement is that some of the enhancements require SNES tech to accomplish. Most games opted for the colored palette and separate palette for the menu bar, which is easy to emulate, but some games used stuff like the SNES sound chip that can't be done on GB alone. Off the top of my head, 2 of the games Nintendo made that implemented SNES sound was Donkey Kong '94 for an alternate ending remix and Pauline's cry while Kirby's Dream Land 2 used a few added SFX like applause on the title screen and wind.

Hey that's pretty impressive.

Animaniacs on Game Boy also had SNES music in SGB mode. The big issue is fitting all of that data into the cart's memory on top of the game itself. Adding 2-player modes for game boy fighters is also doable on SGB, but not as memory-taxing as sample music data.

If you want impressive, track down the Super Game Boy version of Space Invaders. On top of plenty of color modes to simulate all the versions of the arcade original, complete with borders to mimic the cabinets, they stuffed in the entire SNES game as a bonus mode.

You know, a GB Mini wouldn't be all that bad given it's impossible to find screens of that stupid aspect ratio. I wouldn't buy it though.

after years of modern tech it's really hard to go back to staring at smaller screens.

It's not as if they'd be putting actual old Game Boy hardware in there. I'm sure whatever hardware they use would be far more powerful than the Super Nintendo.

Assuming the product only had GB and GBC games.

Honestly, even if it was handheld, we have much better screens now, and the higher resolution would make up for the borders taking up screen space. But if you don't like it just don't turn the border on.

Of course I still wouldn't buy it if it only had 30 fucking games. If Nintendo was at least putting all their first party games on these things, I'd have probably bought the first two. It's not like they'd be paying licensing fees to themselves.

True, but I know they wouldn't make anything larger than the original.

They got most of Wario land, fuck everything else.

You think that will stop Nintendo from pulling a mini game & watch?

Is your PC a fucking potato? Just get Project 64, shit runs perfectly fine.

Recommend ZSNES as well, why won't you.

I hope gameboy nostalgia never catches on with hipster fucks. It's so nice being able to get gb games for cheap except for pokemon, but pokemon a shit.

That would be uncomfortably small.

You're a bit late on that one.

The GB Micro is the best. The main issue with a GB Mini is that they'd try to make it look like an original game boy but smaller, but if it has the same shape, that means making it smaller will make the screen smaller, when really that wouldn't be strictly necessary if you were willing to change the shape and other factors (like that giant grey border around the screen).

Too late bud, DK94 is already the Earthbound of Gameboy games

It was uncomfortably small you manlet

fuck you, i'll show you all
im gonna make it

Sorry about pic in wrong thread.

Yeah NES Classic was pretty powerful. I'm sure Super Game Boy could technically run on it. Though I wonder if link cables will need to be physical. And would GameBoy Printer features be exported via SD card?

Project64 is shit (M64p is very very slightly better, but still shit). They're both essentially ePSXe-tier. I want to see a Mednafen (PSX)-tier solution for N64.

Is there a problem with ZSNES aside from issues with SuperFX games? What do you use?

Well it works perfectly fine for me and i'm pretty tech illiterate, so I don't know what you mean, then. Guess i'm just retarded.