anydice.com/
cs.umd.edu/~samir/grant/gas-j.pdf
archive.is/QmooX
archive.is/tbASl
compilgames.net/
archive.fo/bMAI7
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/),
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/fork.html
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.servicemodel.messagesecurityversion.wssecurity11wstrustfebruary2005wssecureconversationfebruary2005wssecuritypolicy11basicsecurityprofile10(v=vs.110).aspx
picosong.com/wsNyR/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Y'all got arkanoid?

This is the progress I made on the map editor

muh mods

octtree

Is there any hope of me learning how to write 8/16-bit-like music in Famitracker if I've got no music-writing experience whatsoever? The closest I came is porting .xm tracks onto Genesis when I was into Sonic ROM hacking back in the day.
What is the best place to learn?

Some progress, featuring lock on target switching, poise and fall damage.
The AI is rewritten and better on paper but no fun playing against, up next is less retarded tracking, strafing and general downtime.
Thank you waifu marriage user for the explanation in pic related, i didn't respond last thread

Can you get rid of the stamina system? Too many games are taking that from Dark Souls right now, and I feel it's a cheap way to punish the player for mashing buttons as opposed to skillful game design where the enemy or boss would just do a shit ton of damage to the player.

Google information on music theory.

Anyone have an archive of the previous thread?

This is the first real game I've made, so I'm flying blind here. The feeling of seeing it finally come together after all this shit better be worth it. But I guess that's up to me too.

I was recently thinking about advanced stamina mechanics, like landing subsequent hits to replenish stamina, or penalizing misses. Maybe make subsequent rolls without attacks in between have exponentially rising costs.
Taking stamina completely out of the equation isn't easy because it would trivialize many other mechanics, like blocking or chain staggering.

It is certainly worth thinking about though, especially since my gameplay is a complete rip off right down to the details. Im rationalizing my lack of creativity by the philosophy of artists needing to perfect established techniques before getting adventurous.

tbh just like code spess mens

I think the advance stamina system is a good idea, basically disallow rolls and hits to deplete stamina, but when an attack is dodged, missed parried,etc it takes out stamina. Basically it would reward the player for fighting strategically and punish the player for playing like an idiot.

Chivalry had a system where landed hits cost no stamina, only missed and blocked attacks. Also I think putting the player into a dizzy state from rolling too much would be both a good balance and funny. Make them do less damage and stagger more easily and if you wanna be funny, make them stop and vomit if they use up a certain amount of stamina points via rolling.

Use a different color than green for the stamina bar if that's the case or players will be confused.

Is this a Half-Life 1 mod for Todd Out 4(TM)?

:^)

How about you make the entire stamina system a risk/reward gauge? As in, if you're below x% of stamina, you take more damage or stagger more easily or something. I would also seriously consider making light attacks cost no stamina if they hit, or some way to regain stamina after successful offense as you've mentioned. The latter might be better, since it would still carry over the aspect of punishing the player for overcommitting on offense, but generally I think that stamina as a defense-limiting mechanic shouldn't also limit your offense.

i've got 2 dice
how many times do i need to roll them, so that the odds of "the event of getting 11 at least once" is 0.5 and how do i calculate that?
odds of getting 11 are 1/18
via geometric distribution the mean is 18 rolls, but P(x=18)=(1/18)(17/18)^18=0.021
but that's nowhere near 0.5
what am i not understanding here?

Is there a mod for fallout 4 that adds todd?

so that the odds of "the event of getting 11 at least once" is at least 0.5*

A PATOOTIE

stop

Dude you're doing a great job but this is really really creepy
What is this even? Are you programming a waifu simulator exclusively for yourself?

thats pretty cute , but she really clashes with the realistic rest. it feels like a you have a real photo as the background for a cartoon character .

You fucked up on multiple fronts by calculating the odds of rolling 11 exactly once in 19 rolls. The chance to roll at least one 11 after x tries should be 1 - (17/18)^x, and you just get that by subtracting the chance to roll no 11 at all for x tries from 1.

Sadly, this sounds like all the other /agdg/ projects

doesn't seem jarring to me. It's UE4 so I'm sure that can be tweaked with shaders.

oh so, if i'm looking exactly once in 18 tries, i'm just looking at the regular probability
but if i'm looking for at least once, i'm looking at cumulative distribution?

More or less, I think.

It is to be a VR waifu marrying simulator and then afterwards I'll probably make it a cool town to play around in so I can come back from work and just chill in VR Mexico with my waifu. Reason being is that I like traditional Mexican culture and rural pueblos and because I've been infatuated with Shinobu for a few years. I also just wanted to weaponize my autism.

I'm not going for full realism so I don't really mind. She wouldn't look good with realistic shaders and fancy ambient effects. I've tweaked the current toon shader so it is affected by shadows and light sources which is all I need.

Dude that is not right.
Get some help.

Wrong site.

Where's your game?

No matter what site you're on that is not right. You've got some deep problems and I don't think this is going to make them better

On my hard drive

I've worked on the game for 4 months. I learned to model 4 months ago, spent hours learning undocumented engines, browsed forums and googled for days, rigged and keyed meshes for weeks. And yet, you think brandishing words will stop our mutual love? Nay

we can't stop you from being a degenerate, but we can still laugh at you

You can't possibly be serious?
What has to happen to you to get to this point?

Jeez man I'm sorry

The fuck is wrong with you people. Leave the man and his waifu alone.

Are you afraid of dedication or what?

I'd rather laugh at everyone who saves reaction images with Overwatch filenames.

I'm afraid of your current mental health

Sorry but you guy are really the odd ones out here. Perhaps you got lost on your way to reddit.

But Shinobu is not my waifu.

>>>/out/

I'll put it this way: I wouldn't worry about the dude's mental health as he clearly is working, which is one of the healthiest things for one's mind.

He's learning skills he might use in a career I hope, dude has talent and already mastered them to an extent that I find admirable. That's definitely good. He also wrote that he wants a VR experience after returning from work, so he's not your typical NEET. I can sympathize with that, wageslaving kills the soul.

While I'm not happy he might actually realease the project perhaps I would like to take the girl for a walk as well, as
said, it's not at all abnormal on /agdg/.

Also, I'm sure you won't spend all the time with your VR waifu, right, mexibro? You must at least have an apartment and friendships to maintain. and vacation trips to irl rural mexico to look forward to

There are honest people everywhere.
Most likely the ones that don't illegally move to US, don't worship Satan in the form of Santa Muerte, don't take part in the drug trade and just want to live their lives in peace, doing commerce and enjoying what beauty there is in the country.

You know, people that do actually have a culture.

Not that I personally find Mexico itself very interesting but rural life is my lifeblood and I find its various aspects beautiful across all cultures.

I'll divulge into Genesisposting, if you'll allow:
I'd rather trust a countryman than a townman,
You can judge by his eyes, take a look if you can,
He'll smile through his guard,
Survival trains hard.
I'd rather trust a man who works with his hands,
He looks at you once, you know he understands,
Don't need any shield,
When you're out in the field.

I guess it's a sentiment others share, they even have discussions on fucking beekeeping on /agdg/

Normalfags go and stay go. This is a weeb board.

nah dude, at least one of them makes vidya. He's welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Oh and:
There are far worse mental cases on here than mexiwaifubro (if he even is one).
I am wondering whether Tetradev isn't schizo.
And we saw many instances of people with both shitty cod ing skills andmegalomania who wouldn't listen to simple advice.

By the way, Tetradev is very pissed with Holla Forums atm as far as I know, I think he wasn't in a good place when that shit went down and people making fun of him made the situation worse.

anydice.com/

output 2d6

chance to roll 11 = 5.56% (I like the number)

The basic thing you can do is divide 0.5 by 0.0556.
That would give you around 9 rolls but no guarantees.

/agdg/ is not Holla Forums, which is something other user pointed out in an earlier thread. He doesn't seem to get how popular his project was over here, how many people called him an inspiration and were clear on how they admired him.
He was even reluctant to release his patreon details, despite us asking him for it for the longest time and wanting to help in his plight against the polish mafia.

The guy does show delusional tendencies, IMO. Remember that one time when he confabulated that he was being thrown out because of some stupid misunderstanding with his gran? The dude was going to kill himself over a simple hardware failure, despite the fact people were willing to send him shit for free.

No wonder, he is a true-to-God NEET after all. He lost touch with reality, lives in his own world, where japanese studio directors need to steal ideas from /agdg/.

I don't mean to bully. I want to be constructive. He was the greatest talent to ever grace this place.
If he actually showed off his talent to local studios like CDP Red or CI Interactive, he'd already have paid the debt he was always bitching about.

I think he might just be permanently inoxicated, he's a slav after all.

People are going to make fun of you when you do something stupid, but you're just supposed to shrug it off and keep just like making game and posting like usual. You don't hear MoM user bitching about that guy who keeps coming in complaining about bara furfags. Imageboards require thick skin.

I don't remember him ever saying that, I'm pretty sure he was afraid people would say it looked too much like Nier and decided to stop.

sadly he pretty much said that and if it was actually him he said it in the nier thread of all places

Then you remember wrong.

I'm at least 95% or so sure it was actually him. The game was a very sore spot for him even before he made the most stupid post of his life.

How do i get ahold of a specific engine i want? idc if i have to pay for it or its open sourced

What engine do you want ?

Make Pong first in any engine.

No or much lower stamina expense on hits is a good concept i think, i want to go for a generally faster paced game anyway. Still it needs some considerations, what would keep you from indefinitely staggering everything once you get to a poisebreak? Also bosses would require movesets that really keep you on your toes if you can just chain attacks forever if they aren't retaliating, but maybe that's not so bad.

You mean because it doesn't behave like traditional stamina?

I like the sound of it. You have to test ideas like this to really find out if they feel right or just confusing, but i'll keep it in mind.

well what engine do you want? how do you expect to get a useful answer without that information?

You should also keep track of negative stamina - Dark Souls has this thing where you can roll at 1 stamina, wait for half a second for the regen to start, roll again and it's stupid. If you kept track of stamina debt, and had to pay that off first before starting to recover stamina again, you'd also have to be more careful with your stamina usage.
I'd consider making rolls worse in general, but that's just me not liking instant fully invincible one-button dodges, and it might tear out a core part of the soulslike experience as well.

I actually think how the stamina works adds to the game and can lead to some pretty great clutch moments.
It's not bad

I do, but im pretty sure Dark Souls does as well. The regen only starts after half a second because it has to pay off that debt.

Make it so if you hit -1 stamina you ragdoll.

PAY DENBT GREECE

Sorry folks i stroked out there

I never heard about them, why do you want these engines anyway ?

looks like those were commercial engines built for specific games.
First of all this
And getting these could be pretty difficult. You would probably also have to use other tools from the devs, that you dont have. You can try just asking the devs directly, but its not certain, that they even own the engine and can just give it to you. Even if they can why would they? And if you get it for free you will probably not be allowed to sell it.

Next you'll say you want to make an MMORPG in it

well duh

Does automatic tesselation from a bumpmap impact performance a lot?

Some developers that colluded with Jewvidia would often hide huge amounts of tesselation under maps as to cripple AMD GPU performance. Take that as you will.

It's about dynamic programming and even though the professor provided the solution, I don't think I'll be able to solve something like this if he adds it to the exam tomorrow.
Fuck me. Why can't one of you Anons just solve P=NP? Then I wouldn't have to deal with that shit.

That's only games that incorporate Nvidia (((Gameworks))).

The textures are lower-res than the amount of polygons added on some surfaces, it's
done deliberately to decrease performance on AMD cards.

I know it's basic bitch shit but following the newer Brackey's tutorial on making a basic runner game has gotten me farther than anything has to-date. It's basic, haven't finished the whole thing yet, but I did stray from the video instructions and make a fun runner where even if you crash at least the blocks will go flying and you can enjoy watching the physics engine at work. Using a sphere instead of the cube like he does in his videos makes it slowly gain speed instead of starting at 100. It's amazing what such a small change can make to gameplay.

Well, don't leave us hanging. Let us know what you're having trouble with. Some of us are actually professional programmers with computer science degrees and may be able to help you out a bit.

It's in German, so I have to translate:
>You want to spent as little money as possible for petrol and therefore you already checked all k gas stations on your route.
>The distances from your start to each of them (l1, l2, l3, …, lk) are whole numbers. (lk is the last gas station on your route)
>The prices are p1, p2, p3, …, pk Euros per liter, respectively. Furthermore, the amount of petrol you are can buy is always a whole number.
>Let B(i, t) be the minimum petrol costs that allow you to start from gas station i with t liters of petrol in your tank (whole number).

Oh, neat. It's essentially a directed graph problem where each node can connect to any of the following nodes and each path has a specific cost associated with it. You could potentially use a pathfinding algorithm to optimize it, but it sounds like they just want a simple recursive bruteforce. Thanks for sharing.

Nope. The problem I have posted has exponential runtime complexity (and may even be NP-complete, but I'm not sure about that). You're not solving this with a "simple recursive bruteforce" unless the number of your variables is laughably small.
And pathfinding won't get you anywhere either.
You already have the route. The difficulty of the problem lies in something else. Your tank has a fixed capacity and the various gas stations have different prices and are at different distances from one another.
The easiest way to handle this would be a greedy algorithm: "skip the gas stations altogether until you don't have enough petrol to get you to the next one, then refuel completely." This algorithm would produce the least amount of stops, but that's not necessarily the cheapest option because they have different prices per liter.
Suppose your greedy solution makes you stop at gas stations 3, 6 and 8 to fill up completely. They may have shitty prices when compared to their competitors, so that refueling partly at 2, 5, 7 and 10 may actually be cheaper in total, even though you make more individual stops. Then you have the distances and your fuel capacity to take into account. What if you can't reach 9 starting at 7 even if your tank was full? How much would you refuel at 7? Enough to get to 8, at which point you would get enough to get to 10? Or maybe enough to get to 9 and then 10? Or maybe you would stop at all of them and only refuel partly?

you are all forgetting that even without stamina ds still require lots of compromise in each hit, and that outside of ds there are many challenging games that do without it.

Dude might have been loopy, but his game still looked absolutely amazing. I really hope he comes back, his work could have easily landed itself on unreal's "Made with" bullshit

it was a Unity game

Bist du im Bachelor und schreibst DSAL? Viel GlĂ¼ck morgen, die Klausuren sind eigentlich kein Problem auch wenn du Dynamische Programmierung Ă¼berspringst.

Same, but only if he recognizes he made a mistake and genuinely wants to return. His work is a great inspiration, but I don't want to cuck out for him and say he did nothing wrong to keep him here.
And no matter whether he wants to return or not, I wish him the best of luck with his project, it'd be a great shame if nothing came from it.

I don't know what he "did wrong", nor do I really care
I'm not going to demand some user grovels at /agdg/s feet for forgiveness over some (probably) stupid shit.
Besides, There aren't many yesdevs around anyways, which is the only thing that keeps 8/agdg/ from being total garbage.

pretty much everyone here likes him an hopes he comes back.

i dont think anyone wants him to apologize, but no one wants to defend him for this stuff and tell him that hes right, just to make him feel better.

I had misread the line that said you have the option of partially refilling. If you had to fully refill at each station, it would be a rather simple pathfinding problem with each station being a node that connects to stations within 60 km past it, and each edge on the graph being the distance between the stations times the latter's fuel cost.

Even with partial refilling, it is a pathfinding problem, you just can't assign cost to individual edges, so it becomes much more complex, and you can't use generalized pathfinding algorithms. Maybe I'm reading your problem wrong, but it reads like a directed acyclic graph, because you are given the gas stations in order and there is no reason to backtrack. If backtracking is possible and viable (such as if it's actually a 2D graph) it is essentially a generalization of the traveling salesman problem.

The simplest solution I can come up with on the spot is to, at each station, check all stations within 60 km. If your current station is cheaper than all the others, fill up entirely there. If another station is cheaper, fill up only enough to reach that cheaper station and then drive there. Repeat until at destination. Finding a paper comes up with what essentially looks to be the same algorithm (section 2.4): cs.umd.edu/~samir/grant/gas-j.pdf
It's been a long time since college for me.

It's not about groveling about /agdg/'s feet or an apology, really. But if he thinks that he didn't fuck up at all and tries to come back here, there's just going to be more drama.
I don't want a second yandev situation, please understand

I didn't follow this drama super heavy, but from my understanding he got depressed that his game might get overshadowed my NieR, and kinda lost it after that.
**I think the best course of action would be to just act like shit never happened if he does come back.
If he does come back, trying to start shit with him is the last thing anybody should do**
Yanderedev got sent over the edge by halfchan shitters trolling him and not being able to take critisism, this is feels more a select few people bullying a depressed NEET.

If there's something I'm missing here besides what I've seen ITT, then fill me in, otherwise this blown out of proportion to me.

I think you're more or less right, though I think and from what I remember that depression spiraled into some sort of obsession, he snapped, made that post in some Nier thread, got a lot of concerned/advice and some bullying posts for it, then left the site. If you can't handle the residual shitposting - and I'm not talking about caustic shitposting, but rather about the few one-offs, nodevs or even just brutally honest posters you always get - then maybe that's for the better.

Best card game engine

Nobody can put up with imageboards 100% of the time, they're cesspits of cancerous faggots. Posting while in a depressive spiral and having an identity attached to you is a bad idea, it's a mistake I've made in other places.

Be nice to the guy. We should be supportive of yesdevs, not sucking their dick nice like yanderedev wanted or emotionally coddling them, but not shitting on them for something mild like this. I'd like to think /agdg/ is a cut above the rest of this place. It's the only thing I show up for anymore even.

Holla Forums was feeding into his depression hard, so now that he's gone, it's definitely a lot better for him. I wouldn't mind seeing him back, but it's not at all possible right now.

maybe don't take a shit on the beehive if you don't want to get fucked in the ass

Reminder that Nioh has a great stamina system via Ki Bursting that rewards timing and variety. You can do a Ki burst by itself, or burst while dodging, switching stance, switching weapons, and properly timing certain combos.

The end result is that a skilled player can keep up his attacks almost forever, and with some special equipment it can be done truly forever.

160 by 160 tilted terrain
1024 grass blades per 1x1 block
26214400 blades of grass, that can be bent or cut

I REALLY WISH WEBMCAM WERE NOT TO FUCKUP THOUGH

scratchpad

agdganon, you have no idea how much this pleases my autism. What are you even doing with it anyway?

How do you process this much grass? Compute shader? I think you could optimize this by chunking the grass and then having most of the grass farther from you in a "limited state", with the farthest away grass not being simulated at all, just rendered.

grass needs to grow with randomized patterns so it looks natural

then make a FUCKING LAWNMOWER SIM

Half way done doing the serializable GameState class, will probably have save/load finished by this friday

He is doing the terrain system for our farmsim game
>>>/agdg/27922

Yep, shader
And that is the plan, grass far away won't be simulated, this is just a test

He gonna waste a few weeks actually doing something like that, i would prefer if he just went out to start the tree system that will have them grow on a day-by-day basis

I think I made a mistake.

Refactoring code for the better is never a mistake; get new people to help.

ultimate objective: grass system for the farm sim me and my brother are doing
mid term objective: sell on asset store
short term objective: lawnmower sim

both compute shader and instanced shader
Graphics.DrawMeshInstancedIndirect(baseMesh[lodLevel], 0, material, bounds, argsBuffer, 0, null, shadowCastingMode, receiveShadows);
shadows reduce the framerate by a factor of 5 due to making 4 cascades

there are multiple levels of mesh detail (form 4 to 32 vertices), but I never saw it change a thing on the frame rate, don't ask how it works because I don't get it

next thing in line of things to do

That's likely because modern GPUs rarely have problems with high polycounts, especially once you use instancing and cut out the CPU as a bottleneck because of drawcalls, embed related.

CUCK DEV! CUCK DEV! YOU NEVER FOOLED ME!

Sorry

You must have the bad programming ones, right? I've wanted to examine it.

wtf is that code? Why use such a method? Why not just get the current day's date and then add to it? Does this algorithm summon demons?

I don't have them. But I know someone who frequents these threads does because he posts the screencaps and webms in the OP occasionally. And there is one right above your post. I do, however, know of a YouTube video in which he complains about how his compile time is an entire minute. Then, in that same video, he points out that he knows it's because he uses Javascript and that if he used C# it'd take less than 15 seconds to compile.

funny how that game fell down the memory hole

It's a joke, user.

It's hilariously stupid code for the purpose of laughs. It freezes the program for 24 hours and then gives you the current date.

Never tell your friends lies about their software, if they suck tell them how much they suck, trust me it will save you a lot of trouble.

where is this from ?

Last I heard, Tumblr's pushing the dude's shit in for ripping off characters from popular anime and acting like said characters are completely original on his end.

looks like reddit doesn't care anymore, too bad they are now his audience đŸ™ƒ

a fitting end for a cuck.
torn apart by the land wails he tried to pander to

The only times we're probably gonna hear of it will be kikestarter that's supposed to happen in April(?). Then when it finally releases in his estimated timeslot of Q3 2019. Somehow I feel like this game is gonna get some serious DNF syndrome.

How viable would it be to develop your games net-stack on IPFS?

You could build a web-game on IPFS, but it'd be impossible to prevent cheating due to its distributed nature.

Unless you're making something really non-traditional, not likely. The Install Gentoo wiki compares IPFS to "a single bittorrent swarm exchanging git objects," potentially useful for in-game patching and downloading maps/mods but not much else.
It's probably the future of filesharing and static-ish web hosting if people like your stuff enough to seed it.

This is something I've been trying to figure out myself actually, preventing cheating in a peer-based network. I don't think it can be done, yet torrents seem to be immune to poisoning - which suggests to me that there's some way to have a self-validating p2p network. If this is the case and I'm not fundamentally misunderstanding torrent validation, what mechanism would you need in a peer multiplayer network to make it cheat-resistant?

Bitcoin?

He said "self-validating p2p network". I am ignorant of this technology but bitcoin qualifies?

A blockchain wouldn't solve cheating in P2P vidya and would quickly gobble up valuable disk space. For reference, Bitcoin's blockchain is around 130 gigabytes and yours would only grow fatter as more people play the game.

Gotta justify not knowing how to code somehow!

I want to say people being deliberately stupid for giggles, but some of the CS Grad pictures are real-life code.

This is taking a worrying turn.

I'd still like to see a yandere game, but one developed by actual Nips instead of weeaboo faggots. One with lots of dress-up and lewd, and while I'm dreaming, gameplay.

There it is. That else/if statement chain that could be easily fixed by making it a switch statement instead or by making a singular "normal" state that if the player exits results in the NPC reaction. Oh, cuckdev, never change.
I'm sure I'll make a huge fucking mistake like that one day too

In what situation could you end up writing that code?
In what situation could you end up pushing that code?

A lot more bandwidth and computing power than most people are willing to give to your game.
A blockchain is a bad idea. A computer's GPU cycles should be used to render the game, not solve the hashes needed to maintain and verify a blockchain.
BitTorrent is made for distributing a single, unchanging, usually large file and does so by breaking it down into manageable chunks. Game networking is about distributing thousands of constantly changing small files (30-60 a second, depending on how fast paced your game is). With BitTorrent a checksum can be generated once and used to verify each chunk of data sent over the network. The state of a game, however, is constantly being changed by everyone on the network, making the idea of a checksum useless.
You'll also be jumping through a bunch of other hoops if you want truly decentralized BitTorrent.

Ja, ich bin im Bachelor, aber das Akronym meiner PrĂ¼fung ist EAD.

Pic related is the solution. Both the recursive definition and the pseudocode. It's an ass. The 0/1 knapsack problem and the longest common subsequence are much easier.

Cuck-Dev, Cuck-Dev!!
You never fooled me!

Didn't Valve already tell people that they should use Unity/Unreal instead? Pretty sure about that. I think that they made Source 2 for in-house projects and even if they release it to the public, it will be streamlined for their workflow and not an engine for babbies first game.

For me it's mostly the same. Although I still check out the gg threads and browse /monster/.

Just look at sigmadev. When he released Red Sky he was bullied pretty bad by one or two autists, stuck around and at some point the bullies got bored.
Speaking of tetrachromedev: why can't I access his tumblr anymore? It tells me I need an account.

It's probably a typo.

All the techniques generally hinge on a few points, as well as having a lot more leniency in how fast they work.

Bitcoin, torrents and all those technologies generally rely on some sort of signature; your main vulnerability here will always be knowing whether to trust the source of the signature.
In Bitcoin, whatever network has the biggest processing power is considered the legitimate source. This is why it's really bad if someone actually obtains 50% of the processing power; he could force his part of the network to reject the remainder

He either changed his blog to NSFW at sme point, or got flagged by multiple users as NSFW, and tumblr recently changed it so you have to be logged in to see blogs that are tagged NSFW.
That probably made tumblr unusable to most people looking to choke their chicken to random tumblr blogs without being a tumblr user, so I expect a bunch of people to be pissed off about it.

You COULD create a sort of "plausibility graph", where you keep track of all the information your get from other clients and do realtime auditing on them. So the second they send you something that's not possible, or contradict themselves, you can flag them for having cheated SOMEHOW. This leaves the door open for manipulating probability and destroying evidence, but you can mitigate that by synchronizing the RNG or not using one.

At that point, you still trust that the person has not lied to your in the past.
Even with that solution, there's nothing stopping me from developing a client that simulates multiple gamestates with entirely different strategies; with code that automatically chooses the optimal one the moment I'm required to share any information with you.
It's like fucking quantum physics, I'm running a superposition of multiple gamestates until you observe it, and then I collapse into the one that is best at countering your ass.

You might think that that would be overkill for the average cheater, but the solution you provided is so fucking complex and requires so much work that the above cheat is nothing in comparison.

On top of that, since you're making a game that runs over the internet, you also have to deal with lagg desynchronizing your gamestates. The complexity piles up to insane heights, you're better off just accepting it's just not doable unless your game is retardedly simple.

That's not comparable at all- it was two people who were immediately denounced by everyone else. The response tetrachomedev has got has a huge amount of people flinging shit and him and each other.

If you want to see the actual thread, its here: archive.is/QmooX

That superposition cannot get better results than optimal play, and you're underestimating the processing power required for running multiple game states. If this is a 2 player game you're right, but imagine a dozen players, each of which has different information about you. You'd be so narrowed down cheating wouldn't get you much. At that point you're better off just coding an AI to play for you, which is IMPOSSIBLE to counter.

Which is the REAL problem IMO, actually hacking the game is never as disruptive as out of game coordination. For example, what's easier: derailing this thread by hacking the server, or hopping on with 10 of my friends and shitposting it into oblivion?

So apparently, GameMaker's string_delete function's index starts at 1, not 0. I should have suspected this sooner, since string_pos works by a similar logic. However,
I WOULD HAVE EXPECTED IT TO THROW AN ERROR MESSAGE TELLING ME THAT I FUCKED IT UP, OR YIELDED AN OFF-ONE BUG, RATHER THAN SIMPLY NOT ACTIVATING AT ALL AND SAYING NOTHING.
And it only took me a week of rewriting my code over and over and losing faith in myself as a programmer to figure that out.

Piece of ass Unreal Engine with its shitty lack of technical documentation. Whenever you import any animation, Unreal will truncate ANY small or lack of movement with morph targets. So if you have a 2 frame morph target animation that starts with 0.4 and ends with 0.4, it will remove that because no movement detected. So you'll see it as 0.0 in the editor. This had my head spinning for another 7 hours today as to why my animation wasn't importing correctly. I am letting the other Unrealdev Anons here know that you don't want to include super tiny movements. I managed to fix it by putting in dummy frames from 0.0 to 0.005, that seemed to pick up movement.

Working on a some kind of arena fighter, where you can abuse your enviroment and use it as weapon. If the regular hack'n'slash or run'n'dodge gameplay doesn't intrest you enough.

any of you faggots would be interested in making low-poly placeholder assets? the thing could probably end up a real gaem

I'm mildly interested of practicing my 3D modeling/texturing skills, so I could probably do something if given things to do. I couldn't promise that I'd be able to make a significant amount of them though.

For some reason, it's comforting knowing that everyone else is suffering with similar kinds of bullshit.

Explain.

The assets must be usable in unity, give steam id or email or any form of contact, only 3 models will be asked for

i'm gonna take advantage of the totally accurate battle simulator momentum (it has a low poly artstyle) to make a somewhat similar game where there's more to it

Interest dwindling…

it is gonna be lowest common denominator, but only in terms of gameplay and because it's gonna be a mix of turn-based and real-time battles which is not gonna be easy to understand at first by many people including people who post here

if its just going to be placeholder why not make it yourself or use makehuman? or do you also want that stuff rigged and animated?

well, you're right, i'll do it myself

Dude let me know when you've figured out how to bring the BG and the character closer to each other. I'm having similar problems with anime characters in UE and while I've been using more handpainted textures for props, I've been avoiding toon shaders since they're mostly post processing which kills all my particle effects (especially sobel edge).

why are you doing this to yourself? just use unity.
it was made so that any retard can use it, those kinds of fucked up bugs don't happen there.

is it because you want to use the blueprints?

do you even like make games to unironically make such statements? Or is it just the old, tired engine wars meme no one on /agdg/ actually partakes in anymore?

But engine shitposting is fun!

>he pays money to watch (((video tutorials)))
>he will never write programs without a ((((Micro-Soft)))) (((bytecode interpreter)))

Did anyone ever? It goes on endlessly in 4chan's agdg however.

Does anyone know how a modified ThirdPersonCharacter in UE4 manages to somehow store data where i cant see it?
It seems to keep an old array that was deleted stored and it kept me from discovering a mistake in my code, because it always kept working. i have already restarted the engine and deleted the generated files.

nevermind im fucking retarded.
the array was on the relevant component and i just had the old array that was supposed to do the same thing left over on the actor from the quick and dirty solution.

Either some stupid shit on tumblr's part or he bunkered, you can still access the google cache and if you can't here's what you're missing archive.is/tbASl

All I want to know is whether there is a way to contact him. Wanted to ask him something. I was hoping he left an email address on his tumblr. Too bad there isn't a working account on bugmenot either.

Yeah tumblr might be total shit but there's an IM service, that requires an email verified account to use, he also seem to respond somewhat quickly to it.

Nope.

I'm really glad I read all this before trying to implement anti-cheat methods, which was one of the next three things I was going to do. I'd already realized the problem with the gamestate visibility dichotomy, but figured that there had to be a solution for it that I simply hadn't figured out yet.

Hacking the server, because you don't have 10 friends.

I am in contact with him, you can email me what you wanted to ask, if you want [email protected]

whoops, its ika at ikadev.net

You forgot C: The gamestate only exists on an authoritative server that tells clients purely what they are allowed to know and just accepts commands that verify in the gamestate.
This doesn't work so well in some genres like FPS, but everywhere else it's best practice, it makes conventional cheats impossible. What it can't prevent of course is scripting, so using a bot that plays better than humans with perfect combo executions and so on, that is impossible with any system i think.

The context was preventing cheating in a peer-based network.
pls red bfor post thnx

Yes, I thought about that, but the nature of the game means that running my own centralized server is more or less out of the question. Partly due to wanting to not have myself attached to it, and partly due to it requiring money, which would put me at risk from certain parties, which is also part of why I don't want myself attached to it.
Then how do FPS games handle it? For instance, isn't a TF2 server exactly that?

Sorry

Many things are done client side, sometimes even hit detection. Thing is, it's not possible to do very low latency in an authoritative setting. Client side has the advantage of
effect gamestate -> somehow sync it up afterwards
as opposed to
send command to server -> effect gamestate -> get gamestate from server -> have local visible effect
That's not so bad in RTS or ASSFAGGOTS, but in a first person shooter it plays a role. Source engine games are the only ones who have server side hit detection as far as i know. Generally in FPS there's a whole science about synchronizing gamestates, lag compensation, packet age cutoff and time travel to calculate previous hits.

I feel like at some point I should have posted progress, so pic related.
Simple beginnings of tilemaps using SFML quads, so the next logical step is to decide witch UV mapped texture to use based on what kind of tile it is.
had to stop early yesterday because my brain was fried from the heat.
When you're so fatigued you can't even parse an array, it's time to stop.

Make a good point, as far as you or I know they weren't from /agdg/ and nobody listened to them because they were retarded
They were probably some edgy crossposting shitters who don't actually browse /agdg/ or the threads, tetrachromedev was getting shit from actual /agdg/fags in these threads.
I said it earlier, and I stand by it; we should be reasonably supportive of our fellow devs. Justifying in-group bullying using random shitposters on Holla Forums doesn't feel right.

How and where do you begin the game development process? I know C++ but how do I apply it to making vidya?

Download a C++ game engine. Probably Unreal Engine 4, look up some tutorials until you get how the engine works. Then you just like make game

Any recommended tutorials?

Start with making pong, better if it's in a graphics library you'll be sticking to.
Then tetris, then a mario clone. Those 3 games help to build an understanding of what goes on under the hood of games.
Ususally after making your clones, you'll start to come up with reasonable ideas for what you want to make.

A fair warning which I'm sure you already know, C++ is a shit. You might have an easier time using a pre-existing engine or
a framework in another language, like Lua/LOVE2D or godot.

PĂ¯xelart is defined by it's established restrictions. If you are not going to AT LEAST respect the pixel grid what is even the point of doing it you fucking faggot

I'd say it's equally stupid to fucking call everything via the this keyword. In the scope of the function, there's no need to call this because the focus is already on the internal variables of the class. If it was calling a.GameOverCause or the such, that would be one thing. Also it's completely stupid to leave your variables open like that.

GameOverCause could be changed to Set/GetGameOver. Simple things that don't require periods or equals signs. This is why you shouldn't be self-taught. Looking at code, and learning how to program via observing code teaches you how to be a bad programmer, because you pick up things that contextually you don't understand why they were done that way.

It's not that it doesn't feel right, its that it isn't right. I don't expect people on here to change, which is why I don't expect him to come back.

C++ is a superb language for high-performance computing, and only snowflakes or shovelware programmers believe it's shit. I'm sorry that having control over too much power is too much for you, but the most flexible programming language isn't a burden, it's a boon.

There's thousands of high-level libraries you can get if you want to do rapid development in C++. Or you can do it your own way and not have to learn how to do it with someone else's shit on top of your own shit.

Well for starters…

It's not super fun to program in, and I would know considering I'm using it.

I'd throw 'em into a std::unordered_map if you catch my drift

Enjoy writing your throwaway code. Meanwhile we'll continue to write modular code than be reused.

C++ attracts shit tier programmers that are too retarded to know how to program well in C.

Yeah, you're absolutely right user. Writing your own chain linking code, allocating the memory for a string, losing access to some really useful functionality… Totally worth it, just to say that I have a bigger penis because I still use C.

Every day that I write in OOP.

When did /agdg/ become zealous C++ apologists?

All of the features that it has just make it an absolute nightmare to look at. Instead of the C convention of "libraryname_function", you have "namespaces", which mean that if you call "function_x" in one part of your code, and then change the namespace and call "function_x" again, you call a completely diffrent function, and then you have to keep track of which one instead of the rational way that C uses. Alternatively you can do "gl::FunctionThing" which is better but not as simple as something like "glFunctionThing". So, I am uncertain about what functions I call, because there can be multiple functions with the same name.

Then there is operator overloading. Now, when I do "+" on two things, I am uncertain about what will happen. You're calling some unknown function just by using "+" or any other operator. Its ridiculous and adds even more uncertainty. You have to dig through your source code to find out what the basic symbols mean, so it just sounds like a nightmare. Again, there is more uncertainty, because C++ loves to hide things from you.

Then, there is the most agregous part of C++ which is how it abuses the idea of "scope". In C, there is nothing outside of your function scope, everything that can be referenced is declared at the top of the function (C89 is more strict about this, and its a good rule). So, you know exactly what your stack frame looks like. In C++, you can have random variables being referenced from "class scope", which is bad for the exact same reason that using global variables is bad. You know how people say not to use global variables? Class-scope variables are just as bad. Now, you'd think that thats not terrible right, you can just look up at the top. And thats OK, I use global variables SOMETIMES, and thats fine… but then wait.. lets consider how this will look when your class is inheriting from another class. Now, your variable that is being refrenced in your function is not even declared in your file, its declared in a whole other file, and you have to fish around the codebase for it, trying to find out where this superclass is even declared. So, scope in C++ is absolute trash. In C there is this keyword called "extern", where you can access global variables across files if you redeclare the variables as "extern" variables. And this works great! I know what type the thing im working with is because it's re-declared… but NOT in C++… so, its just absolute trash.

Have you tried to read C++ code? And I don't mean reading the C++ code that you're writing right now, but C++ code that someone else wrote. Its a fucking nightmare. You can understand your codebase right now because you wrote it yourself, but good luck understanding it after a year of not looking at it. I wont even begin to dig in to why all of the other features of C++ are shit because this should be enough.

why even dev

Is there a comparable GameMaker Studio clone for Linux natively that is actually easy to use like it and isn't shit?
I don't want to cuck out for Windows, mainly because I don't want the fucking OS anywhere on my harddrive and my computer is shit so I can't put it in a VM, just to start learning to make games.
Would it be easier for me to just dive in head first into learning code? I tried it and I was annoyed with it because I'm retarded and I can't apply what I've learned from shit like Codecademy to real life coding without having my hand held the whole time like an autistic faggot. I know the ifs and ands and ors and the booleans and the fraggermaggerssuperguggers, but I'm shit at applying the lessons to real problem solving. I fucked up in high school math because my teacher was a hot redhead MILF with the nicest fucking jugs you could imagine and she would always wear relatively low-cut shirts (long enough that the school thought it was fine, but just short enough my hormone fueled brain got impulse boners from even the thought of her dropping her whiteboard eraser and picking it up and it just keeps slipping and she has to bend over for longer periods of time…) and she would help me with math when I didn't know this or that problem and she would never get on her knees to meet me at eye level, she would always bend over in an almost 90 degree angle to look at my papers and textbooks to help me out a bit and the only math solutions I could easily solve in my head in those moments were "You + Me = Sore Vajeeny". And I think she kinda knew what she was doing because she would always put her tits kinda close to my face. You know, but not so close that it was fucking obvious to the rest of the class that she wanted my teenage cock right then and there. And she would always fucking stand there bending over for longer than was necessary. Like she would still be bending over for a solid minute or two longer after she had already solved my problem. And she gave me these half-mouthed smirks when she would see my eyes darting quickly between my paper and her bazongas hoping I could catch a glimpse but not to let her notice I was noticing her milk cans. I swear she must've been a pervy teacher who got moist from making horny teenage boys hard as diamonds. Now that I think about it, given my age and (even though she wasn't super old) her's, I think she might've been a pedo or something like that who got off on that sick shit. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

But yeah, so that's most likely why I'm shit at math. I blame her.

tl;dr GameMaker alternative for Linux, or should I just man up and learn code.

Read the Doom 3 source code (not the BFG version, the original Doom 3 master source code), and tell me that it's relevant to your tangent. It's clean, it's elegant, and it's been described by analysts everywhere as the best piece of code in any language they've ever read.

wew I'm retarded.

Also you make a good point about reading other peoples code.

MOTHERFUCKER WHY DON'T YOU MAN UP AND LEARN SOME FUCKIN MATHS FIRST
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
In all seriousness, if you aren't willing to buy into proprietary OS, you probably shouldn't buy into proprietary engine software.

No, we told him it wasn't similar at all and that he should just continue to JLMG, because we wanted to play it. We tried to be supportive. He only got bullied after that Nier thread he posted in, after which a few random anons knew to find him here to keep bullying.
Ika got shit from Rustfag for posting his own thread on release, and everyone made fun of Cookinganon for his code for a while but he can handle it. These threads never truly bully devs or at least do so jokingly, don't blame us for people being bullied or not being supportive enough.

Godot, or just manning up since it's actually not that hard if you're on linux.

Please stop dude.

Can anyone help me with SFML, I'm stuck at the tileset part, I can't get it to function properly. I keep trying to toy with the coordinates but it doesn't get better, please help.

Learn to code faget, it's not hard, also there's a lot of maths tutorial on youtube, enough to get you that last year of high school level.

A fucking godsend if you ask me, my vector and matrix math in Java looked something like this
FVec position = current.multiply(previous.subtract(normal.scale(6.0f)));

Where in C++ it now looks like
FVec position = current * (previous - normal * 6.0f));

Pastebin your tilemap stuff and I'll try to help

That's not what I'm trying to convey, and your explanation of where the people bullying him
came from makes sense. I just feel bad for the guy.

GDevelop looks similar, it's free and open source:
compilgames.net/

Maybe because it's written by C programmers who know what they're doing? Carmack even said that: "You may still be able to tell that the renderer code was largely developed in C, then sort of skinned into C++.". I bet that most of it is just raw C, and then "C-with-classes". Try and find any "modern C++" techniques in that codebase.

I have spent more time reading people's awful C++ programs than writing C++. When you aren't in "write only" mode the flaws in the code are very obvious.

Anything is better compared to >java
My C code is more verbose, but also unambiguous. I have stuff like: g->midp_diff = abs3(sub(midp,*br->box1));

Godot 3.0 has visual scripting but 3.0 stable isn't out yet.

I feel bad for the guy, too, but 95% of this is self-inflicted.
There's nothing worse than working hard on an idea that you love and then, someone, somewhere, debuts their take first. Two entirely separate people getting the same idea is pretty common, but always painful when you're proud of it.

His reaction and how he handled it, though, is entirely on him. No matter how much we love our ideas and no matter how proud we are of them, ideas ultimately mean shit, people will always draw comparisons where there are none, and what matters most of all is how the game plays.
My memory isn't 100% so I can't speak for others, but I tried to drill that into him–even if there's another similar game on the market, his game is still his. If anything, this'd be to his benefit since people will have something to go "If you liked X, you might like Y!" to.
But, unfortunately, it looks like he's given everything up. What a shame.

Is a firm grasp on maths really a prerequisite for coding? I know my 123s and do re mes, but I tried fucking with graphs and advanced calculus shit and I was blown away at how retarded a few numbers could reduce me to. Which eventually got me flunked out of the same maths classes my peers were in. So I was stuck in remedial maths with the only spic in school, the gothic faggots who just wanted to shoot up the school and commit seppuku no densetsu and my ex-GF who fucking hated my guts and had sex with some piece of shit shortly after we broke up in a an attempt to make me jealous, but she's the stupid bitch because "no hymen no diamond" is my motto, so thots go in troughs. And my remedial maths teacher was an ugle wench fat fuck who looked like she was a practicing wiccan who cast a spell to give herself infinite fucking cheeseburgers or something. She was fucking gross. And while I was stuck with retards and non-white subhumans, all my friends got their fill of ginger tits McGee and all her tantalizing tata glory. I even remember a time one of my friends told me in between classes how one day Ginger had worn a top that was just a little too tight, and while she was at her desk, she was stretching her arms behind her head. And one of her buttons popped off her blouse and out popped one of her titties (she wasn't wearing a bra that day). And for the briefest moment, he said you could clearly see her perfectly circular, pink disks of life and sustenance. I usually don't get boners from text and erotic fanfic shit, but thinking of Gingertits conceiving my child and giving my child life and nutrition using those frisbees from God gets me so hard I could use my cock as a deadly weapon. Maybe hold up a bank or something with nothing but a paper bag for the money and get away with it or something.
Anyway, he describes this ordeal to me and I would never forgive myself for being a retard. I could've seen my first actual female tit in highschool. And I would've very easily've jacked off and cum faster than a fucking tachyon after class in the bathroom stall. I would even constantly ask him to redescribe the events every other day. And every time I would still get harder than diamonds. I think I helped him develop his literary technique, because the man became quite eloquent each time he retold it. Like, if he was up for it I would've easily used his mouth as a conduit for my seed, that's how horny his erotic narration got me.
And I swear, if I ever saw Ginger in the hallway in between classes, I would have to look away for fear of having "binder perpetually stuck in front of my torso" syndrome. It was fucking insane. But would I have suffered through daily boners in school just for a glimpse of what my friend saw that day? You bet your fucking ass I would. In a fucking heartbeat. I can cut glass with my tip right now, and all I'm doing is fucking typing on a Tawainese soap-carving seminar board.
That highschool teacher and that day my friend was dealt the pocket aces forever shaped my fetishes too. I use to be a pretty milktoast guy. I like tits, butts and snatches. But now I'm into really fucked up shit like redheaded mothers who want to give their sons titjobs in front of an audience; like an NMCF humiliation thing. Those things kept my right hand and trouser snake acquainted many a night. And there was even a time where for an entire year, I literally jacked off to exclusively Irish girl porn. Even though my teacher didn't have an Irish accent, I still always wanted her to humiliate/dominate me in front of my classmates while calling me things like "small dicked loser" and "virgin faggot". I think I'm a bit emotionally stunted from that experience and subsequent story.
Maybe that's why the age of consent is 18. Never expose 16 year olds to sex. I'm fucked now.

I thought those were just placeholder graphics (right user?)

Learn to code. Programming games is pretty much the same whether you're on windows or Linux. The API's for the window managers work almost exactly the same in terms of general structure, so you should be equipped for a windows port easily.

Actually, I don't know why Linux people constantly talk about how programming on Linux is better. You are just programming for a different 20+ year old API. POSIX + X are how Linux gets the same functionality of a basic windows system, and they use API's that are just as old and work in such a way that I didn't even have to change the structure of my program to port it to Linux.

Now, i'm sure that if you wanted to program, say, a kernel module, its more accessible than getting hired to write drivers and reading the "NT Insider" magazine…

Knowing math lets you understand what the computer is doing, thus allowing you to both program and debug more efficiently. You can still code without knowing math, but you'll be muddling through things in an trial-and-error process.
>>>/blog/

Most of it just helps a lot, especially in games. You won't be able to do 3D, physics or collision without linear algebra, calculus isn't that essential though i would say.

top kek seek professional help

You mean by one literal Kotaku article that himself Carmack said was stupid in the kindest way possible?
archive.fo/bMAI7

Are…are you all right, user?

Ok, is there a language you had in mind? I've heard C# is pretty popular. Start there I assume? Or something else?

Alright thanks. You wouldn't happen to know of any programs or specific video series where I can jam and cram the different types of maths I would need to know for programming, would you? I tried Khan Academy once, but I thought it was shit.

I'm just airing my grievances (or fantasies). I really want to jack off, but I promised God I wouldn't do it today because my 2nd cousin's wake is today, so I thought spanking my cock to my memories of my predator teacher would be disrespectful.

Don't start off with C# or Java. The way that you learn programming has a serious effect on how you think about things, and certain ways of learning it can hold you back. Use a language that people actually make games with, like C. Alternatively python is more accessible, but you need to make sure not to fall into the "python trap". Python is completely unsuitable for any large system (like a game, or website, or whatever) so once you learn the basics IMMEDIATELY switch to a better language like C. You will not make games with python. You can make pong, or a small 2d platformer, but anything that is remotely large will suffer. So, I think you should just go through some C tutorials until you are competent at basic C, and then dive into game development libraries so that you can actually apply what you learned.

Wait. I know who you are.

Fine, game engines. You don't base your game off of a language like C# or Java, or else you will get a performance disaster like minecraft. Remember that Unity is written in C++, and that C# is only used for scripting things together.

Who am I?

Performance disasters happen far more often because of shitty coders, not shitty languages. I would not suspect Notch of being a good coder.

The hacker known as 4chan. :^)

user, everyone here knows that Ika is RedSkydev/Sigma-user. You have to be the newest of newfags to not know that. We even know what he looks like.

Thank you for clarifying, not everyone knows what you mean. I mean technically you can program in whatever works but you're not wrong that C# would probably be shit for making a whole engine.

There are a lot of reasons, the big ones being

* A free built-in compiler+debugger out of the box on most distros
* Sane library organization and versioning
* Sane PATH usage, requiring typically no modification of PATH to get any new binaries available
* A useful shell (no, Powershell is not useful. It's a good idea executed terribly)
* A useful scripting ecosystem, with the ability to script and automate any and every task
* A cron system allowing simple and powerful job scheduling
* Not-retarded filesystem organization (I was a professional Windows sysadmin for years before I became a Unix expert and never looked back. Fuck System32, SysWOW64, Program Files (x86), and all the other stupid fucking hacks Windows has. It's a goddamn nightmare.)
* POSIX is, in fact, an advantage, because it means you can look at the POSIX documentation (which is very good and very complete) and get useful descriptions for a base level of behavior across all POSIX OSes. Programming for Windows isn't as easy.
* The very biggest argument is that you have a real package manager for installing and keeping up-to-date all of your libraries and dependencies without having to check each one individually and deal with rollback issues
* Automatable build systems, so you can distribute your compilation to multiple build machines without needing some retarded GUI (or even automate the building and pushing of a "nightly" build of your software)
* Most DEs offer multiple workspaces and have for at least a decade, something that you don't have on Windows unless you're using Windows 10.
* The ability to fully operate without a GUI

Age isn't an argument, as every major OS has at least 2 decades of heritage. It's about OS design and functionality. The biggest thing is that the structuring of Linux essentially makes the OS itself into an IDE of sorts. There are more command line development tools that work independently of any other program that it puts all the Visual Studio plugins combined to shame, and if you know your dependencies, you can easily spin up a new OS and type a single command line to get your dev environment exactly up to the state it was on your old machine in minutes. Setting up a development environment on Windows takes hours in the very best case, and days to weeks in a more typical case.

So yes, you can get it done just as well on Windows as you can on Linux. Linux just makes absolutely every aspect of it easier and more natural. Programming isn't all about writing code, it's also about the environment you have to work in and the tools at your disposal. Mac OS would be as useful too if it didn't do retarded Windows shit like have a case-insensitive filesystem or GUI-only system administration and no native package manager. Homebrew works, but it's pretty shit compared to something like apt, yum, or Portage.

Nobody touches X directly. Anybody working on windowing uses WX, Qt, GTK, or something of the sort. And X is on the way out. Wayland can't fully take over soon enough.

There's an option call pruning that removes old spent transactions. It lets you run a full node and only use a few gigabytes.

linear algebra and geometry are the essentials for making game. I'm told taking calculus and physics helps immensely, though.

Probably, sure. Just can't think of a calculus related problem in games development i've stumbled upon so far, except for maybe stat scaling functions or in-game economy systems.

The performance disaster is that Java's JVM is prone to eating up a shit ton of memory and stalling due to GC passes. It's just inherent to the language and since C# is also GC'd , its got the same issues, but I don't know to what degree.

I was talking about in terms of the actual code. POSIX feels cleaner than Win32, but I would rather write Win32 than Xlib.
Win32 documentation is better than POSIX and much, much better than Xlib documentation, but because I am a windows nigger I was only using online man pages. Programming for windows is easy once you do it long enough.

Also most of those things you listed are not even development tools… OS features do not impact the programs I write for the OS. I know how you like to brag about using Linux, but the features Linux has are completely beside the code that you write for it. The "setting up a DE on windows takes hours…" is complete BS, I can install Pelles C in five minutes. I think you just used my post as an excuse to write a giant blog about how great Linux is, instead of actually responding.

Wayland is X-compatible. Therefore, I will only use X, because it is compatible with both X and Wayland (the only two DE's that anyone even cares about on Linux). Using middleware is dumb, so I wont use it. I can write X code fine myself, although the documentation is trash. I can see why you find windows programming intimidating, (although its nowhere near as hard as X)

Xlib is a steaming pile of shit. Nobody likes touching that directly.

I can't find the Win32 documentation from my local man program. If it's online-only, it's next to worthless. Even then, the online POSIX docs are pretty great (pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/), just look at the mans for fork: pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/fork.html

You use the OS to program. It impacts your ability to write programs. I don't know how you can claim that the OS you are using doesn't impact your usage of the OS. I don't know how you can imply that development tools don't impact your development, or that a package manager does not impact your ability to install libraries easily.

Nobody past high school "brags" about using Linux. It's a tool. You should use the best tool for the job.

Right, and where does that leave you as far as libraries, directory structure, and assets go? Say you wanted to start a project using GLFW, assimp, portaudio, and Bullet. Is it easier to run "apt-get install build-essential bullet glfw assimp portaudio vim" and hit "y" at the prompt and be ready to go (thanks to pkg-config, make, and other tools automatically resolving dependencies and library flags) or to download the compiler you want, track down and compile each library individually, link it into your project one at a time, and make sure that they stay up-to-date by hand incrementally as you work?
I didn't write a "giant blog". I listed a bunch of legitimate advantages to using an OS that is developed with programmers in mind, and you seem to be using every excuse you can to hand-wave away legitimate gains as "irrelevant". You started off saying that you didn't think it was better, then when I pointed out ways in which it was better, you essentially said "so what? I don't need any of those things to be better!"
If you didn't want to have this discussion, you shouldn't have started it. You don't seem like you want to argue in good faith.

Wayland is not "X-compatible". You can run an X server in Wayland, and you can run Wayland on X. Neither Wayland nor X are DE's.
I don't find Windows programming intimidating. I did it for years. I found it infuriating. I couldn't do simple shit like managing users or printers through a command line. That's pathetic. A GUI is fine, GUI-only is fucking worthless.

There are a lot of little applications. Lighting calculations can be made a lot easier with a good understanding of calculus. Some physics problems can be simplified through calculus. Really, you probably don't "need" calculus for most anything involving games, especially if you are using a game engine (or even separate physics and lighting engines), but it really can make your life easier to understand it well.
The only times I can think of using it, other than making a toy physics engine, is when I was trying to dynamically calculate UV coordinates from an arbitrary mesh, and I ended up not even using that anyway. I imagine you'd need some application of calculus if you were doing something creative with your shader effects, doing any special kind of fluid simulation, or doing arbitrary mesh deformation.

I'm not a mathematician, though. Somebody with more math knowledge would probably know better.

Looking into modding a new game called Foxhole. All their models and shit are stored in a PAK archive that I can't get into using most popular PAK file openers and such. Don't know if you guys accept modders or want to offer any help, but I'm desperate and want to fuck around with the files. Any ideas?

yes, there is no "man-pages", its all on MSDN. Just type "windows function/question MSDN" into a search engine, bing, MS's search engine even finds code samples from MSDN and embeds it into the results. Just as you tried to look for MSDN docs in man pages, I tried to look for Linux docs online…. ;0

Also, I am not interested in the linux build tools. It's basically giving your program a hard dependency on gcc and cl because nobody wants to untangle your makefile. That's why I don't use them and I don't at all like projects that use them. Of course thats not an issue on linux but it is on windows when I dont want to use microsofts shitware Visual Studio which is just about the only thing linux build tools can target on windows.

Easy, I don't use much middleware at all. I use the bare minimum and my goal is to use as few libraries as possible. Its not as easy, but that's not even the point. Im making a point about the CODE. THE CODE. Not my build tools, which are fine. Your package manager system only works on gcc so I dont care about it. It makes my life easier to learn it on linux, but what if I want to target multiple platforms and compilers? Its not easy anymore, no matter what.

I didn't talk about how the OS was used. That's entirely from you. I made points EXPLICITLY and EXCLUSIVELY about how the CODE looks. Get it through your head. If you weren't bragging about using linux you would be able to resist the urge to write that blog post about how your OS works. I KNOW HOW IT WORKS.

I've had this argument many times before with linux users and I know that you will endlessly bring up irrelevant shit and go on forever. From the start I only talked about the code. You are the one who brought in the discussion about build tools and you are the one who is not arguing in good faith, if you were you could start exclusively talking about how the code that I write for linux can be better, instead of talking about the build tools, which I have already clarified are not what I am talking about.

so which is it? because I know and you know that everyone will be running that X server so that they aren't locked out of 25 years of software written for X.

the /vm/ is in the thread title.
but looking at the game models are probably the only thing you can get if that, since i doubt they let anyone else host their servers.

If you don't have a build system then you don't have a program worth running. If you want to have a program able to compile on anything, then use a build system build system like CMake or one of the other dozens of similar projects.

Wayland is not X compatible, but you can run an X server in Wayland. Work on your reading comprehension.

CMake is not compatible with the compiler I use (pocc), so I cant use it. Cmake does NOT mean you can compile on anything, that's my point.

If I can run an X server in wayland, I can run X programs in my X server in wayland, and as such I can run X programs in wayland because of this. That is the point, not the semantics of how you say it, which I said correctly the first two times.

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.servicemodel.messagesecurityversion.wssecurity11wstrustfebruary2005wssecureconversationfebruary2005wssecuritypolicy11basicsecurityprofile10(v=vs.110).aspx just having a chuckle pointing out this atrocity, but good god MSDN is shit overall and requiring an internet connection to look things up is fucking retarded.
That's not exclusively about the code itself, now is it? Your argument about code itself is more irrelevant to anything in this thread in fact, as your game code (and thus 90% of your work in almost everyone's case) should be platform independent. But if an OS makes it easier to write code because of better tools and workflow, thus making you write your game say 2 months faster than you'd have been able to on another OS purely due to small quality of life things and better tools, that is pretty fucking relevant.

Tilemap quads now get textured on creation. Now to implement the actual parsing.
Maybe I'll make it parse text files, seems better than recompiling every time I want to make a change.

Right, and then i've clarified that its meant to be about the code twice. So, by now, you should know what i'm talking about. When I say programming I have never used it to refer to my text editor or whatever, I call those "tools". Now that maybe you finally know that's what i'm talking about, because this is the third time, maybe you can stop immediately segwaying into talking about your package manager? My code is platform independent.

You do remember that we have IDs, right?

What do you do when you realize the idea you thought was great has been done before almost exactly?

Do you try to find a new idea? Do you try to put an original twist on your idea? Do you just roll with your idea anyway and just deal with the eventuality of people calling your game a rip-off?

Roll with it. Everything's a ripoff of everything, even if it's not.

you become that one dude with nier

Where is the panel that shows Germany and the rest of Europe peddling weapons to Greece and conspiring with its corrupt politicians to buy more than their army could need?

yeah, I was just moving around and changing devices because I was going to places instead of sitting in my room. Thats why my id changed.

I'm talking aboutmy own ID, you're talking to more than one person here yet act like we're one and the same.

I haven't been checking, but what i'm trying to say about linux tools is the same.

Or if you're a not a comatose nigger:
$ man

user, you realize that having better tools makes it easier to program, right?

I'm new to ROM hacking, this is actually pretty fun.
Probably my favorite part is being able to dig into the pokecrystal disassembly and see how they made all the different Pokemon cries.
My main project is an original 3D game, not this.

Holla Forums
How do I ensure that my game is well optimized and that my coding doesn't hold back it's performance.
I'm currently using javascript to code it in Unity, should I change my language?

so you're able to compile your own game?
not really hacking, but hey that's cool.

unless if you're doing a romhack or working for specific hardware, code optimization really isn't an issue. It's okay to be a lazy programmer.
Keep in mind languages like javascript run in virtual machines, so the code will consume more processes than a low-level language like C++.

Lel

You shouldn't worry about optimization yet. If your game is mostly complete and your facing performance issues, then you should consider optimizing your code. It sounds stupid, but premature optimization can easily put you down the path of never finishing your game. Besides, you shouldn't need to worry about it unless your programming is absolutely terrible, or your designing your game with lower-end machines in mind. Other than that, just try to apply basic programming principles to your code. (Check out Game Programming Principles for some useful game-related design implementations)

This ?

sf::Texture texture; if(!texture.loadFromFile("textures.png", sf::IntRect(10, 10, 48, 48))){ std::cout

So to any yesdevs hanging around here, do you play the games you make? Not for testing, I mean for fun. If so, do you get any joy out of them even though you know every little thing about them?

check

Yes. Not all of them, some do become unfun if you know it too well, but I can still enjoy them vicariously through tester players.

So glfw? Better than win32 for opengl?

For me, not really. There's a sense of wonder and exploration/discovery that you don't get if you made the game or you're a typical jaded adult. It's more fun for me to make a game than to play it, or even play vidya in general. I think this is generally true for gamedevs. When I play games nowadays it's mostly for "research" - to get a better idea of what was well done in a game and what was done poorly.

I don't know if I really qualify as a yesdev as I only have one finished game under my belt which had a dozen or so other devs working on it, though.

I think your texCoords are off.
quad[0].texCoords = sf::Vector2f( texturePos.x, texturePos.y );quad[1].texCoords = sf::Vector2f( texturePos.x + quadSize, texturePos.y );quad[2].texCoords = sf::Vector2f( texturePos.x + quadSize, texturePos.y + quadSize );quad[3].texCoords = sf::Vector2f( texturePos.x, texturePos.y + quadSize );
Right out of my own code, which works.
You defined your quad going clockwise, and your texCoords going counter clockwise.
You want to define the texture coordinates going clockwise, from what I can tell.

Hopefully the cancerous drawing helps.
If it still doesn't work let me know.

Wow, its almost like i'm not using a UNIX derivative. Also, stack exchange is NOT documentation, so please don't pretend that its a stand-in.

Also, these tools only apply to gcc and cl. They don't apply to the compiler that I normally use, which isn't compatible. Any alternate C compiler is left out. This is why these tools piss me off because I can't compile my libraries without either manually stepping through their giant config scripts that only ever work right on linux, or using microsoft shitware (visual studio) which only sort of works with the linux build scripts.

The gains from these tools only apply to setting it up. I do 99% of my work in a text editor, not setting shit up. This is why it doesn't bother me even if I had to write batch scripts to compile everything, because its totally insignificant. Programming is more than setting up your make scripts to do retarded shit that no human would do without these tools, it's about having a text editor open and writing code. The only tool you need is a text editor with a "compile-and-run" button, that runs a script that you set up.

No, it reminds me of how broken it is, and only I can truly appreciate how broken it is. It seems OK but the code is tainted. Towards the end of the project I never wanted to look at that code again.

I remake other peoples' games from scratch just so I can fix every last problem I have with them. So yeah, it's pretty much just to make a more fun experience for myself.

My artist just got back to me after retopologizing the model for our main character and its texture is like 8MB

That's too much, right?

No its sufficient since every gamer got a graphic card with 3.5 GB RAM :^)

a real horror story right there.

Most game releases these days are >250 GB who cares?
:^)

Does that include all the maps for the engine or is that just the albedo?

Give me ideas for miniature browser games/programs that I could do in 1 day.

probably depends on what else you will have in the game. If its just a walking simulator you could probably get away with it. And what resolution is that texture? did your artist just make it 4k in case you want it for a cinematic trailer?

Since it's a power of two, it probably means it's uncompressed. What engine are you using? Modern engines like Unreal and Unity allow you to specify the compression after you import. So you import the uncompressed texture into your project, choose a sane compression level and your final game will use that one.

All of these variables are undeclared.
I tried to change the orientation of the quad but it still show only the bottom right of the first texture(ground) and the bottom left of the second texture(wall) and then for the rest of the quad it stretches some color.

I havent used particle effects yet but with post processing you only set it to affect certain models instead of the entire scene. I'm not looking to make the background anime style. She's the only shader anomaly.

I don't have that one :—-DDDD

Basically the main problem is that if we drop the resolution to

Don't worry too much. Textures are typically what takes up the majority of space in games and there isn't a whole lot one can do about it.

's homework

Think about it this way: Yandev used javascript in Unity. He then had to pay someone to redo his codebase entirely in C# for two months because he's too shit to do it himself, but it had to be done to make the game continue to run as it was becoming too slow to handle.
Don't be a Yandev.

This is what they really mean by "don't optimize prematurely": get your shit working first, then optimize parts of it and immediately check if it still works exactly right after each part. And use version control so when you find a bug you can roll back to find out which version it started to occur in, fix it there, then re-add parts that weren't relevant to that bug.

no fucking way

Sounds like he just perma fucked his project and paid money for it too. Writing and having your own code is super important because you are the one that feels the most comfortable and familiar with it, even if it's shit. If you pay someone else to rewrite it for you, your code logic will be restructured due to differing language logistics and programming styles. And when he gets it back, it will be like he started from scratch re-learning his years worth of code. What a fucking moron.

failed statistics and probability exam today
failed geometry a week ago
probably gonna fail algebra too
tell me i'm not the only one who's retarded with numbers
and on the offtopic, i haven't gamedeved in weeks. pretending to study takes up a lot of my time, this is suffering

Maths isn't really that important for gamedev. Just be good at trigonometry and logic and you're good

What are you studying?

IT systems
it was a mistake
i wanted software engineering, but my entrance exam score was 31, needed 33 to get in. i could have waited and reapply hoping that somebody had changed their minds and left a space open, but i immediately went with IT systems not realizing how shitfaced i'd become because of the math

Serves you right for disrespecting anime waifus, but I have to question why you'd pick anything involving computers and not expect math to crop up. Software Engineering wouldn't have been any different. Nice trips you got there nonetheless.

How much money does he make in online gibs per month? Might still be a net gain. Gotta stretch development as far as it goes.

i was in a math school before university and i was supposedly good at it
i figured i'd be able to pass
by now i THINK i have a good understanding of geometry/algebra, but somehow i can't seem to pass the exams even on the 4th try
and i didn't even know we'd have statistics

University and school math are pretty different. One is essentially being a human calculator and the other is understanding the formulas. I can't give you much advice on how to do it better though. Do the exercises and try to get a hold of your corrected exams to see what kind of mistakes cost you. Doing the exercises is really the most important step though. If you're not stupid, understand the lectures and actually do your homework, you should be able to pass without too many issues, but trying to cruise because you're a "smart" guy and that always worked in school is a highway to disaster.
Your college is (supposed to be) what you really want to do in life, right? Just put some honest effort in it.

Yes fucking way.

He now has a partnership with Tinybuild, who provide a team for him and he's now just the lead designer or something.

5K, which he now has to use to pay the other people to work on the game too.
Just have a link to his video explaining it I guess, I can't webm things that are 10 minutes long.

This is the most important part. If you dont do that you dont even know how bad you are and able to fool yourself into thinking it will be allright
t. guy who is no longer studying cs

WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

no man should have this much power

Yes, the unmodified pokecrystal disassembly compiles into an exact copy of the original Pokemon Crystal v1.0 or 1.1 (U) ROM.
All of the code and data is disassembled in some manner (mostly just text files containing assembly code, with the main exception of Pokemon pics being converted to and from PNG images for easier editing. During re-assembly pics are converted back to 2bpp.lz then placed into ROM somewhere you specify via INCBIN). So adding a Pokemon, for example, is very much a 'hacky' process:

Because it's a fairly thorough disassembly of the game, a lot of the hackery ends up dealing with pre-defined macros and labels in the code, so it often doesn't really feel like you're dealing with raw assembly, but yeah, you're dealing with raw assembly, and you can find the exact code that does every little thing in Pokemon if you dig hard enough.

make it parse whatever this outputs: www.mapeditor.org/
best generic 2D map editor in the market, and it's free

That is, without a doubt, the most cuck video I have seen in my entire life.
Just the first fucking minute is like having him gently caress your crotch asking you to fuck and impregnate his girlfriend.

How is it even possible for someone who hung around on a fucking chan board, and created a project that essentially stated on Holla Forums, to become so absolutely beyond-SJW-level cucked.

What did you do with Godot ? Some kind of dubs stealer ?

What an interesting issue. Usually I dev despite having more pressing things I know I should do instead. I have to force myself not to dev too much now, to not burn myself out.

Playing vidya, watching some animu, drawing something, reading a book, etc.

I'm working on a graphical ingame animation editor because I got fed up with manually scripting things. Got it up to the point where it properly plays back the animations, which took embarassingly long.

The good part about that method is that afterwards, you know what you really wanted to do.

I need a bit of help with a small issue in Godot. In the first pic I have a tileset scene, and the second pic is what happens when I run the game. Everything looks centered and correct in the scene, but the tile collision polygons seem to start from the center of the tile and not the top-left corner like they should. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Did you just copy paste it all?
The "variables" was me trying to point to what coordinates you pass. You could just create a function to take two vectors, one for quad position and one for texCoords.

Make sure your StaticBody2D Offset and Pos are set to (0, 0).

It's ok, I fixed it. The problem was in this part :
I did this : texture.loadFromFile("textures.png", sf::IntRect(10, 10, 48, 48)) Instead of this : texture.loadFromFile("textures.png", sf::IntRect(0, 0, 48, 48))
That's why it was all fucked up, now I can start getting to work.

Just tried to replicate your scene and it works fine, so my best guess is you changed something in one of your objects. Probably the staticbody like said. Either check values there, or just try to re-create the scene.

What format are the maps saved as?

Sexy, as usual.

They are simple json files. Easy and fast to parse and validate, and an average map takes about 30 KB of space.

picosong.com/wsNyR/
Musicfag here. D-does this count as deving?
How is this sounding so far? I still need to do a lot of fixin n mixin but this should be the raw main thing.

Hear it with no earphones because the sound is not balanced and it may rape your ears.

I like it, but as you said it needs a lot of mixing.

Thanks for the advice. I figured it out, apparently there is a "centered" property on the sprite that was changing the origin from top-left to center.

Of course music is deving, music is what takes a good game to an amazing game. You're gonna need some seriously epic shit to play that music over, though.

And it's literally because some suit at Tinybuild has a wife who fell for the YanSim meme.

You're right, lots of mixing to do. Overall breddy gud. The opening in particular gave a bit of a Final Fantasy Tactics vibe, which was cool.

How do you not lose motivation when every time you look at your game to test it, something like this stares back at you?

Take a walk when you feel stuck.

Only you know what's staring back at you, user. The filename is bullets.gif, but that could just as easily be some kind of fluid simulation or advanced Pong. Are you talking about the dullness of programmer art?

Yes. I don't know how to make it more tolerable, I just don't want to work on a project anymore when it looks like that all the time.

This. I usually take hour long walks after a few hours or so of working.

Programmer art is placeholder art. If you really don't like, it go to opengameart and grab some placeholder shit, or maybe rip some old textures out of games you like
Your placeholder art doesn't have to look like shit.

Make it funny. Working with sterile geometric shapes erodes your motivation because it looks like you're constantly on step one. Add some music you like, paste some funny sprites on enemies and so on, make yourself at home so to speak.

Thanks for the feedback erryone. I'll get back to work eventually

This , it's well worth it to invest a little time in making things slightly less ugly every now and then to make it feel like you're moving on even when 99% of your time is spent on black triangle tier stuff.

Yo it's been a long time since Memoirs of Magic user posted.
You there nigga?

I found out how.
Just have to use UE4PakUnpacker.
Go figure.

almost looks like a game now

nice

he still posts weekly

add screen shake and gigling kids

This guys comes up and slaps your girl's ass, what do you do?

Ask him why he slapped my right hand.

Hold a funeral for my now-dead girl.

Is that Rich Piana's ghost?

Yes. He did whatever it took.
RIP

Holy shit Unity is so garbage.

Half the time when I add a script it gives me an error saying it can't find the class name. The fix for this is to make sure the filename and classname are the same and there are no compile errors and the line endings are consistent. This has happened to me 3 times now and the fix each time was to restart unity and recreate the class file.

Also sometimes when i attach a script it would have any of the public variables listed in the inspector. The fix for this is to delete the class, paste in the old code, and re-add it.

Is Unity editor usually this shitty or do I have a buggy install?

One thing is for certain though, Unreal's animation system is really easy (when known) and powerful. It's still plagued by shit documentation though. Like Layered Blend Per Bone does not tell you even on their documentation page what "blend depth" meant which is super important for filtering out bones when mixing animations. Today I gave her arm specific hand animations and spine look at rotations so her body rotates more naturally when facing things. Also made her eyes keep clamped rotations based on the head rotation. A lot of these variables are also driven by Animation notifiers so some animations can take control of body part rotations.

the poly's on the back of her dress are being back-face-culled when you look under.

Sorry for the shit webm quality, gameplay coming soon.

Oh yeah I forgot Ill make a material for that.

Just spend all day making this shit work.
C++ arrays decay into pointers, making it practically impossible to decide array size dynamically from loading dimensions from a file and allocate it on the stack. This meant I have to write the map data to a buffer, empty
that buffer into a 1 dimensional vector with the map width and height, and then use map width and height to
iterate over the 1D array and decide where the quads get drawn.

I don't know what's worse, syntax for 2D vectors, or voluntarily choosing to locate something to the heap in C++.
Either way my suffering is now over.

adorable as fuck
You said it was a waifu sim, so are you going to add more models, or maybe a way to load your own?

Just use the heap, this is what the heap is for!

You should use std::vector especially for simple things like low element count arrays.

Also I am at a point where I am not going to add support for custom models. I have to finish our wedding and I have no time for feature creep. Depending on how things go I'll decide later.

I'm interested

ew, that would require using the delete keyword. Only use heap when necessary, there's no need to allocate to the heap what can instead be allocated to the stack

I wasn't getting the hang of 2D vector syntax fast enough to justify it. I just used 1D vectors.

You could just use 1D vectors for that just make sure you multiply width x height. If you are worried about performance, this would actually reduce allocation calls but I hope you aren't thinking about that at all.

I already solved the problem basically using this method….

Not with smart pointers. std::vector allocates on the heap as well. You can also use std::array, which retains its type information and is as fast as C-based arrays, and also allocated on the stack (std::array is also a bit easier for multi-dimensional arrays, as you have guaranteed bounds and pre-allocated sizes). If you're using C-like arrays in C++, you better have a damn good reason, and there aren't a lot of good reasons beyond exporting a C-compatible interface.

You are being completely ridiculous, if you are so afriad of managing your memory why don't you just use java? The heap is what allocating dynamic amounts of memory is for. Did you know that a STL vector is in fact just allocating and reallocating shit on the heap for you? You're not supposed to have dynamic stack arrays, this is because you will fuck up the stack. This is literally the poster child scenario of when you use the heap instead of the stack, which you are using anyway, execp't because you are afraid of touching "new" calls, or whatever, you tell the STL to allocate things on the heap for you without knowing it. Just use malloc already.

Uhhh, ifstream's .read() function demands a char array buffer, so I gave it a char array buffer, then immediately pushed it all into a vector and that was my function's return type. Like I said, from there on I parsed the vector for the chars.
I'd rather avoid spending more time learning shit about Meme++ than writing programs.

*Modern Meme++

I simply don't want to call things to the heap if I can avoid it. By not allocating all of my variables to the heap I avoid having to trace stupid, time wasting bugs involving me being a retard and forgetting a "delete" somewhere.
Because Java is shit. If I wanted GC I'd use a language with GC.
Would it make you more mad to know I don't do it mostly because the syntax highlighting is gross?

I'm just messing with you about java, but the way you think that you can have arrays on the stack that aren't a fixed length is proof that you don't know how the stack even works beyond the basic explanation. STL vectors still allocate to the heap, and guess how much you will need before the next allocation, while meanwhile in C you would learn about memory management and not being wasteful with your memory.

With practice you wont get the bugs. But the only way to get practice is to challenge yourself.

By vector do you mean std::vector or a C char array?
Based on your buffer, it would be trivial to extract the width and height, run a "resize" on the vector, then use either "vec.data()" (C++11) or "&vec[0]" to get the raw pointer to the buffer which you can fill directly; you don't need an intermediate buffer. You could also use standard C++ IO with an istream_iterator

You couldn't use std::array because you don't have the size at compile-time, and I should have looked at your video before offering that suggestion.

Anyway, if you want to use istream::read, you could do it with a vector something like this:

std::vector getmap(const std::string &path) { std::vector map; std::ifstream file(path); unsigned int width; unsigned int height; file >> width; file >> height; file >> std::ws; map.resize(width * height); for (unsigned int i = 0; i < height; ++i) { file.read(map.data() + (i * width), width); file.get(); } return map;}

But it would be easier to do it a more idiomatic C++ way and do this:

std::vector getmap(const std::string &path) { std::vector map; std::ifstream file(path); unsigned int width; unsigned int height; file >> width; file >> height; std::copy_n(std::istream_iterator(file), width * height, std::back_inserter(map)); return map;}

Or even get a multidimensional vector with

using Row = std::vector;using Map = std::vector;Map getmap(const std::string &path) { Map map; std::ifstream file(path); unsigned int width; unsigned int height; file >> width; file >> height; map.resize(height); for (unsigned int i = 0; i < height; ++i) { std::copy_n(std::istream_iterator(file), width, std::back_inserter(map[i])); } return map;}

If you're using "delete" outside of library code, you aren't managing your heap memory correctly.

Some compilers will let you allocate non-fixed-length arrays on the stack, though I believe it's non-standard (I think it's standard in modern C, but not C++). It uses alloca.

I'm aware of how arrays work, I was venting frustration of how they work.
You misunderstand me on this.
when I use an STL vector I'm not responsible for all thew new's and delete's inside that because it's already been made. I want to minimize human error on my end by avoiding heap allocation and the manual memory management that comes with it. I use it only where necessary.
I've used C, and moved on from C. It's why I know I'm forgetful when it comes to memory management.
Please don't assume I don't know something because I have personal preferences, condescension is annoying

std::vector.
The way ifstream's read works, I don't want to over-read the data and encroach into the map's data further down the file, so I just declare the mapsize at the head of the file and pass it back into C++ so I know how much to read.

You all do know I successfully programmed what I showed off, right?

I'm sorry, this is a problem I have.
I just made the assumption because you said that it was almost impossible to make a dynamic array on the stack, but then you used a vector to do it. I get that i'm just diving into pointless semantics at this point, so i'll stop.

No worries man, I'm tired as hell and I might have made a tad slip up in grammar. I'll admit it's an autistic preference to have.

Hey so Im just getting started with unity and Im wondering if its feasible to make something like the total war series in it. Im mostly concerned that the engine wont be able to handle that many animations at once. Im leaning more towards the medieval 2 side of things where there arent fighting animations per unit like in warscape 2 engine.

That won't happen with any of the methods I posted. They are size-bound the same way your read is. Notice that I grab and use the sizes in the functions I posted as well (I replicated your file and used it to test them).

Yes. I'm pointing out that you don't need to create an intermediary buffer and then copy to the vector; it's more efficient to fill the vector directly from your istream.
I'm not implying that you don't know what you're doing, but the way you described it sounds more complicated and error-prone than it needs to be.

Good point. I thought you mean extract size by something like reading map data to the first case of a '\n' or something. It's about time to sleep
That describes my whole project, pretty much.
I should probably draw the line at a state machine inside a state machine, but I can't stop. I WON'T stop.

Unity absolutely can, but when you get to that level, you'll want to make sure you have a good feel for GPU optimization techniques like instancing.
I'm not a fan of Unity, but rendering speed isn't an issue it has. As long as you optimize your models to have as few tris and bones as necessary, you properly use instancing, and you use what lighting effects you need (rather than just turning absolutely everything on), you'll be fine. People who have issues usually use too high-poly models, high-count bones, and turn all the lighting effects they can imagine on by default. They'd have the same issues doing the same thing with vanilla OpenGL. People who have these issues tend to be overloading the CPU, overloading their shaders, or hitting memory bandwidth limits, which are all universal to any engine (or without an engine).

Hey, as long as you're getting shit done.

Cool, ill keep all of that in mind. Im still learning to do 3d modeling and animation. My next big step is getting units of models to move like they do in TW.

Padding in the texture should fix that. UVs are not exactly super precise and if you have less than a pixel of tolerance, shit can be bad, specially with mipmaping depending on the asset.

Anyone knows if there's a way to update the value assigned to a key in a TMap in UE4? e.g. if I have a TMap, is there any way I can just do:
TMap.Find(FName).Value = 5.f;

or similar instead of removing the entry and adding a new one with the same FName but a different value?

Nevermind I'm fucking retarded, Emplace seems to do exactly what I want. That or Intellisense is wrong.

I'm doubly retarded, TMaps have unique keys as they aren't TMultiMap, so a simple Add() will do exactly what I wanted. This is hopefully the end of my retardation.

all of those features can be great, or abused to create a nightmare. C++ is powerful and flexible.

GLFW, yes. It's very nice. The newer multi-monitor and multi-window stuff is really great.

Someone posted this a few threads back, try adding some of these sorts of effects.

Glorious 64 bit 16 colours holy bread here:

this
any resources?