What's your favorite input device to use for videogames?

What's your favorite input device to use for videogames?
Does the genre of a game matter?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B000OOYECC/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Whats with the laptop on a weird stand in the John Flynt picture?
Ive never seen that before.

Keyboard for everything.
Optionally mouse, when you actively need to aim/control camera.
Gamepad is just a toy for women and (man)children.

Pad for Beat em ups or Hack n slash
Keyboard for the rest

K&M for everything but 3D platformers/action.

Have fun with that mentality when you start driving in vidya.

He won't have fun. He won't play driving games because he'll say driving games are shit, go back to playing with your children's toy you manchild.

Keyboard for everything.
Gamepad for shitty ports and character action games.

Really anything that requires weighted movement is better with a controller. I usually prefer controller when I can though because I find it's a lot easier on finger joints in the long run.

2D games - Arcade Sticks
Tactic/ Squad /RTS games - Keyboard+Mouse
Puzzle games - Mouse
3D games - Steam Controller

Unless the game has a specific type of controller like a wheel or flight stick, I don't see a reason to use anything but M+KB.
Fighting games may be an exception, but I haven't played one of those seriously since Skullgirls.

Driving games ARE shit.
Though I never had problems with games that have driving in them, like GTA or SR.

Other user called it. Enjoy your shit taste then I guess.

It depends on the GAME, aligning yourself with one mode for everything doesn't give you the identity you crave, it just makes you autistic.

Whatever feels better for the game you're playing is the right choice, unless it's something with crosshair aiming.

crapple keyboard plugged into a mac

Get real faggot.

Step it up.

Mouse & Keyboard for absolutely everything. Controllers are simply shit and even in driving games the difference is minimal.
Third Person games are also vastly superior with M+K. Anything that requires the control of any camera and inventory will be superior on mouse and keyboard.
If you use a controller for them you're a massive autist. Keyboard is still superior and allows for more precise movement and faster inventory usage.
You can control cars with keyboards just fine. One of the best players in any driving game's leaderboards ever are using Keyboard+mouse.

Analog is better for movement, but if high accuracy movement isn't important, WASD is fine. Mouse is better for fine aim, but if it's just something like camera control, it's fine. Good gyro control, like Splatoon, is better than analog stick, and just a small step below mouse.

So it depends entirely on the game. You'd have to be a retard to claim that one control scheme is perfect and would be the best for FPS, fighting games, RTS, racing games, and platformers.

lol. Enjoy finger fucking cardinal keys while you're trying to make a non cardinal turn I guess. You may prefer M+KB but lets not lie and say it's better for driving. It's far more autistic and much more annoying to get the hang of with less results. I get the feeling you just learned to put up with it more than anything.

id argue that keyboard is as good or better for accuracy, since you can press 4 directions at once which gives you a lot of control with no delay of moving the stick to the other direction

It works just fine and many players prefer using their keyboards. If you care so much about what is better then fuck off and go buy a racing wheel.

It's more responsive, but less accurate. If you need to move just 10° right of straight forward, you're out of luck. The keyboard licks you to 45° movements, and if you want to differentiate between walking speeds, you need modifier keys, rather than a natural slight tilt.
There are pressure sensitive keyboards that let you do these, but they're really expensive and still not as good as analog.

Depends on the genre, and whether I'm emulating or not. I play all Souls games with KB+M, but emulation purely with a controller. When I played Atelier Sophie or NieR, I also had to use a controller, those games were simply not made for KB+M.

In what game would you need to push up/down or left/right at once?

Never said it didn't. But a controller will always be better because of analog controls which find the between function around non-cardinal directions much more smoothly. And a good wheel is obviously the best choice if you have the money.

Controller- emulation
Anything else- kb&m

How?
Keyboard allows pixel-accurate movement on a split of a second. Perfect for third person games.
As for walking speed, any relevant FPS has a default key that changes to walking. Same goes for many Third person games.
There is no reason to ever use a controller other than emulating old vidya.
I can't think of any game ever that even needs this. Like I said they all have a hotkey for walking anyway. Other than making autistic movies, the smooth camera of a controller is obsolete.

I never said that keyboards are better than controllers for driving either. Said that they work just fine and the difference is not that big.

I'de say the difference is huge in many driving games. Especially ones that have more to do with fine motor skills the have a lot to do with breaking or drifting on turns. There's certain ones you just simply can't get gud at with keyboard sometimes. In any case why would anybody inhibit themselves to such an extent? Good gamepads are relatively cheap these days and you're getting an easy 10-20% improvement at least. The only reason you would force yourself to use a keyboard is either autism or being a penniless neet.

amazon.com/dp/B000OOYECC/

the point is you can counteract any direction instantly, since your fingers are resting on all directions at once. thats not the case in controllers

I'm using a dualshock 3. God it's been a pain to set it up, and yesterday it stopped working, so I had to reinstall the whole driver base. But I like it way better than the 360 controller I had before. That D-pad is pig disgusting, and I hated the sticks.

Depends on the game I suppose. If you're ever playing a game where precision needs to be that exact I would imagine the game wasn't designed with a gamepad in mind to begin with. Plus you can do the same on a directional pad assuming it's not shit. An actual time difference between the 2 would have to be so minimal that I doubt it would get in the way of any frame perfect situations. Most of that's just technique anyway.

I just got a Xbone controller at the pawn shop. As far as standard controllers go I'de say it's a step up from the 360 by an insane amount as far as the directional pads go. Though the things fucking loud and the thumb placement will never not feel awkward. But I'm using it to beat hell in Cave Story right now so you can at least know it's precise enough for beating that.

Genre matters. Mouse + keyboard for FPS, RTS, MMORPGs and ARPGs. Arcade sticks for fightans and shmups. Xbox 360 controller for platformers and pretty much everything else.

Don't need to, reality already does that.

Instantaneous change of direction. Here, proven wrong in 4 words. I bet you don't even fast, casual faggot.

Looking around with the mouse gives you 9 directions, stupid. You can also go up.

Old games that rely on certain button positions, any PS1/PS2 game, games that require circle moves, and not making a fuckloud typing noise at night.
Anything else, but more importantly 2D games.
Use the fucking numpad, keyboardfags.

Also, Steering Wheel + Mouse for some racing/vehicle combat games.

I don't play driving games and just about everything else is better on a keyboard. Most games I encounter where KB+M isn't vastly better, it's not because the controller is inherently more suited to the game, but because the devs were lazy shits while making the KB+M controls. And that's not a fault with the input method, it's a fault with the game, just like how a game only running well on one GPU brand is the devs' fault. Either way, they're outnumbered by games where KB+M is better.

The big thing is that a mouse controls position, while analog sticks control the rate of change. Even when precision isn't as important, the mouse is far better. And the range of movement of sticks vs keyboard usually isn't noticeable.

Platformers and 2 games i use a DS4
3d action and platformers i use an xbox360 controller
Everything else is keyboard and mouse

Why wouldn't you use a wheel?

You're forgetting the most important upgrade: A motorized dildo that fucks you hard when you loose.

In some games, the difference between analog input and digital input is huge. Somewhat of an edge case/ definitely and older game, Ridge Racer Type 4 actually has cars that turn harder than you normally would get to do on a digital pad, but using a NeGCon, you can turn harder at higher speeds, which gives you finer control and might help with lap times. Getting a few extra seconds off your lap is big in racing.

I'm being facetious with this one, I just personally like the idea of a hitbox better than a fight stick, but I'm a 6-button pad player.

I
What
Why would you use two different controllers meant to be used on 3D games between 2D and 3D? Like, why not get a Fighting Commander if you want a dedicated 2D pad? Then you can at least play 6 button Genesis and Saturn games appropriately.

:^)

I tried that for ETS2. It's a fucking pain in the ass. Playing in VR makes it much, much easier and more satisfying. But I'd wait for the next gen VR headsets to come out before even thinking about buying one unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

>when you loose
Welp, guess I have to summon my Persona as punishment for fucking that one up.

>wheel for racing when I can actually fucking afford one

what the fuck is even going on here? Like for real.

It depends entirely on the game, really.
I prefer a keyboard and mouse for:
FPS
Simulators (talking of the sim-city variety)
Strategy/war games (RTS and turn based).
dungeon crawlers (diablo types)

I prefer a controller for:
Fighters
Racers
action/adventure
Third person shooters (precision aiming is usually not entirely needed here)
platformers
hack & slash games (could be considered action/adventure but i'm thinking Bayonetta and DMC types).

Where it doesn't matter:
Turn based RPGs
Puzzle games (like tetris)

Xbox 360 controllers have shit dpads. DS4 has the perfect dpad button config for 2d games.

That slime controller looks so fucking comfy

Found the woman.

With age I no longer allowed games to force me to give a fuck. It's up to them, to give me a comfy experience else I just pirate or ignore them.

So a wireless controller is a given, while I rest on the couch. The wiimote had obvious shortcomings and useless gimmicky features, but that intuition of splitting joystick and buttons in two was great, as it allowed one to spread their arms for maximum comfort.

I know, why not just use the DS4 for 2D and 3D?

I've always thought that too, but I remember people trying it and finding it to be super uncomfortable.

my ds3 has an uncalibrated right stick that i cant fix and that makes it really hard to map inputs. Some games hate the DS4 too.

Don't really have one, I just use what is designed for the game. I don't play many console games but I will plug in my Ibuffalo snes controller when playing old snes games. My biggest gripe is I can't seem to find a good sega genesis 6 button controller of any type and I have only played 10% or so of the Sega catalog on a snes controller, which isn't right.

if you can find them, grab them.

The only option as of late is ebay and those are just clones or whatever like the ibuffalo. I felt pretty lucky that the ibuffalo controller is actually good. I just don't trust jewtube reviews anymore.

By the pussy?

Yeah, I got the chun-li one in the picture when they first came out.
I wish I had the foresight to grab several more.

Go back to reddit.

Gamer girl plays a game. Normal as can be.

This. There's also the WWE variants that use the same design.

I lucked out and got a Ryu pad for 20 bucks a month ago on ebay.

Yeah but honestly I'd rather have the likes of Chun-Li in my hands (and Cammy if I can find one that isn't used and being sold at crazy prices) than some spandex wearing muscle-bound steroid monkey.

It's petty, yes. But it is what I prefer.

kb+m for FPS, certain TPS, and any building/RTS perspective game.

controller for everything else. i like the ds4. best for the price.

microphone

What if you need to press two opposite directions at once? Checkmate, controllercuck.

yes. playing platformers, fighters, or 3d action games on a keyboard is an unpleasant experience. If you're a M/KB purist because you think it makes you more master race you can just go back to reddit where you belong, part of having a pc for gaming is using all the tools available to you to make your experience more fun. So why gimp yourself to give yourself an impotent sense of pride

I'd be surprised if any developer actually made an input like that, especially if the game was developed with controllers in mind

Keyboard with the exception of platformers and some RPGs, then its the Gamecube controller.

Thing is, the WWE versions are cheaper than the SF4 controllers for now. So if you aren't loaded, they make for an affordable alternative.

No u

Keyboard for everything except platformers and action RPG's.

I didn't even know there were WWE versions. That's too sweet.

BEST combination for any game. For everything else, there's the xbone cuntroller.
DEBATE ME!

Hello
You stinky

The Joycon are better than the nav controller

t. Nintencuck

Fuck I hate summer

But school is back in session, user.
This isn't summer anymore. This is just what it is.

Acualy am idort

OK, how do you play a game with a mouse and four navcontrollers? Is your asshole super stretchy and you shove the dildotrollers up there then use the mouse? Are you Proxy? Or HKJ?

Keyboard only, Mice are unessecary.

What?

You may have a point, but then how much does a joycon cost vs just a stand alone nav controller? I got my nav used for $14. Even the used joycon goes for $40. Maybe it could serve as a replacement for the future when the nav dies on me. Only example I could find was someone playing overcuck

Bro, what the hell are you talking about? jJust use 1 mouse and 1 nav controller. Fucking hell, did you really think that picture meant I use exactly 4 nav controllers and is not just showcasing the buttons? :^)

For games that do NOT require fast-input or precise input like single player titles including emulators and more casual online shooters like TF2 I always go with a gamepad

For games that DO require fast and precise input and make heavy use of menu systems like CS, or RTS games, I go with a keyboard and mouse

Gamepads are comfier to use, but keyboard+mouse gives you much faster and more precise input, so both have pros and cons. Shame binary thinking is a sign of autism so autists think you can only chose one or the other.

Seriously it's not fucking hard.

Driving games benefit greatly from using a gamepad because analog triggers allows for a wider range of throttle response. Yes I know pressure sensitive keyboards do exist but it's still too niche of a market right now and haven't caught on yet

Why not both?

its actually a great idea. the biggest weakness in a m+kb combination is wasd. its very limited compared to a seperate analog stick. you can only move in 8 directions limiting mobility in even FPS games.

the only downside is that thing has few buttons to fuck with compared to a keyboard.

It's not hard fam. Git gud.

I typically prefer to use a gamepad, and I'll use KB&M for games that require precise aiming or, y'know, clicking around. The only exceptions are fightsticks for fightan, and I'd probably use a wheel for racing games if I had one. Well, a good one at least.

The stink is with you

ok… I don't get this meme

the saturn 3D control pad is a perfect controller tbh