Collector/Buyfag Thread

Almost the end of the month anons, what have you picked up since the last thread? You have been making sure to clean your shelves and consoles recently, right?

What are you:

Just picked up a Amiga 500+, Satellite Pro 400CDT/810 and a G3 Macbook for £50. Any fun Amiga games worth getting? Got Lemmings and Theme Park World and shit with it.

Other urls found in this thread:

nicoblog.org/wii-iso/super-paper-mario-usa/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

We already had one this month, didn't we? Usually not two of these in the same one, but whatever.

Actually did so recently. Vacuumed my room as well; carpet needed it bad.

Forget if I brought it up in the last thread, but since then, Chaos Legion ($10 complete), Fragile Dreams (complete; $15 after trading in something, was priced as $40 prior), and Alice: Madness Returns PS3 ($10; not sure if it had a manual originally or not, as comparison photos I've looked up show a slip that seemed to say "instruction manual on disc", so I doubt it). Also, not vidya, but got the entirety of Texhnolyze and the "Im-Perfect Edition" of Excel Saga for under $20 total in an anime DVD bargain bin sale. Far better than dropping $12 per volume like they tend to price their anime (also a bit disheartening to have seen that their Evangelion boxed set actually sold, not because I wanted it, but because someone around here was actually willing to drop $130 on it).

Been debating about looking into a copy of Super Paper Mario for myself since I've had a hankering to replay it recently (previously played it at a friend's house years ago) and I know a place that asks a lot less than others here for it. Unfortunately, it's one of those games that doesn't show up there much (not rare, but a game people seem to hold onto, like DKCR), and what copies I have seen have either been Nintendo Selects prints (I refuse to buy Greatest Hits style prints; my shelves look all the better for it) or horribly faded. Thus, it's a waiting game. Also checked one of my usual sites for a download in case I can't find it any time soon, but the comments for the upload say the file's corrupt and the uploader apparently hasn't bothered to correct it.

If we did, then I fucked up then. My bad.
I'd give a link, but file's dead since just checked. Maybe Nicoblog would have it.
nicoblog.org/wii-iso/super-paper-mario-usa/

That's the one I already checked (since emuparadise locks all their Wii downloads behind a registration wall; I'd be surprised if that was even still accessible there really, given how they've been removing DMCAed games and pre-emptively removing games that MAY get DMCAed). Comments say the file is corrupted. Considering it was uploaded almost two years ago and comments as of twenty or so days back say it's corrupted, I doubt "Ingram" is going to redump it at this point.

Also:
I don't mind myself, but given how once a month ones get tend to get slapped with ">buying games" enough as is, doing so more often than that might just cause even more.

Emu link's dead as well, so it's fucked there.
As for the other shitposting is always bound to happen regardless.

Limited run games had ys origin for ps4 and vita and i got both, very excited to get both in the coming months. My copy of wonder boy ps4 also arrived and it's fantastic.

I also bought a never used ikegami tm15-70r which is a 650tvl sd monitor, super late run (2007) and the fact its never even been used made it really appealing. Its in the original package too. Rgb/ypbpr and s video, its an amazing display. A little expensive but this thing will last a lifetime

True, but at the same, it's best to not potentially incite more than a topic might get. And even if that doesn't happen, some topics are just best with more time between them, due to burnout of desire for discussion.

Shame XSEED wouldn't do a retail release of Ys Origin. Or do they even still have the rights to that game, since Falcom seems interested in switching over to NISA instead?

What's the deal with that monitor exactly? I'll admit I'm not real knowledgable on what hardware specs mean.

to me

I'm not sure if the NISA switch is permanent, look at the numbers right? Trails took an exceedingly long time and despite the quality long turn arounds aren't appealing. It seemed to take as long to translate the game as it did to make it and there is no denying this is flat out bad form, you can't justify these things. Falcom is likely very aware of the reception of xseeds work on their ips and is happy with that, but larger projects may not be a good fit considering the turn around for just a translation job. Despite the criticism that NISA has deserved, long turn around times were never one of them. They are better managed and a lot of the internal information from xseed just didn't look good. You never want to appear weak as a company in a bargaining position.

I'm not 100% confident in the validity of my view, and i may have some details wrong that I'm open to corrections on, but i think this is how falcom is looking at it. If it's correct they are pretty justified.

The monitor has a lot of things going for it. It's a standard definition studio master monitor.. Ikegami was Sony's number 1 competitor in the CRT space, and Ikegami exclusively competed in the professional market. 650TVL is the kind of thing you would see on prosumer tier hardware like JVC DTVs or Sony XBR Trinitrons, and these were usually bogged down with consumer grade phosphors (what makes the CRT show color&light) and these were usually in the 28-36" territory compared to this being a 15" monitor. It being built in 2007 it is using the most matured high-end technology CRT ever had, coupled with it being analog only makes it one of the most sophisticated pieces of equipment in its class. Additionally, like most pieces of equipment the less use it saw the better, the fact that the tube has seen no use what-so-ever makes it remarkably desirable and guarantees the longest lifetime with the least amount of problems, and lastly it offers the best possible analog inputs with RGB and y/pb/pr. RGB is exact color values.

Oh, and an additional note, there's various classes of phosphor, with the highest being rare earth phosphor which no monitors really used, then there's smpte-C, P22, SMPTE beta 7.22, 7.01, etc. All these phosphors resolve color in different ways and are actually really fascinating with how they work (essentially they're being ignited by the electron gun through a chemical reaction.) Consumer grade phosphors are notably lower quality at color resolution and often cap at an estimated bitrate of 8 (there is no way to 100% accurately translate digital to analog) but things like the Ikegami displays have been resolving 10-bit and greater color depths since the early 2000s. You may have seen anime encodes being produced in 10-bit color, just as an example of something you might be familiar with. This is technology that has existed in the professional space for nearly 20 years now but is inching into consumer markets slowly. Also the curved tube is fucking sick.

I've never given such an explanation of how these things work but hope you enjoy it, if you have any other questions I'll be lurking the thread, just don't expect the same ID to reply cuz I use a lot of connections.

I found a copy of SimEarth for the Turbograrfx a long time ago, but can't find an ISO of it on the internet. As a way of giving back, I'd like to post one, but is it as easy as using TurboRip?

Wait, never mind. TheIsoZone has it.

True, but I'd think fans would rather wait a bit and get a good English script, as opposed to letting NISA's crap out a potentially buggy and more-often-than-not poorly "translated" script. Also possible censorship just because NISA feels something somewhere might be "icky" (which is honestly a stance I find odd coming from a company that's purpose over the years has been to try to pick up niche games; making them "more palatable" or whatever just seems like not understanding the base for the games they opt to bring west).

I still don't exactly get some of that, but it sounds like a nice CRT. Kind of wish I had room enough for another TV, but I'm just stuck using an older Vizio HDTV for my games (with the display set to 4:3 when playing older games; it's old enough to still have component and composite sockets in addition to HDMI); perhaps not the best set up, but it what I'm making do with. How much did you have to drop on that ikegami anyhow?

Its not a terribly big monitor, and its built in such a way that it can comfortably be an additional surface. I spent 350 on it and I'm friends with the guy who sold it to me and we plan to go crt hunting together some time. He regularly tells me of all the cool monitors he comes across, like every other week there's another jackpot. Its a bit of a meme among crtfags but I'm sure you've seen the article about how John carmack programmed quake on a 1080p crt in 1995, well he's found about a dozen of that same monitor in new jersey.

About to go to the Flea market to try and hunt down a PS3 Phat to hack or hopefully it's already on a low enough version to softmod or someone already hacked it I recall seeing some for just 20 bucks so wish me luck lads

good luck, don't forget that those old ps3's do require some new thermal jizz.

Haven't bought anything recently. I've been collecting DS games but I'm in-between jobs at the moment but since my new one pays better I'm upping my hard limit on how much I'd normally spend.

Old Apple computers, if I luck the fuck out and find them cheap enough.
A better capture card that won't choke on VHS signal, and a low-cost means of capturing VGA for my older systems.
Nothing, hopefully.

I'll consider doing that the next time I gut my PS3 to replace the drive that refuses to properly eject discs.

I've recently acquired a couple ancient tower systems from the EARLY nineties. A 33MHz 486 from 1989 with no onboard floppy or PATA connectors, and a Pentium system that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 60MHz, combined cost of $20. The 486 screamed about the RAM being dead, so I'll replace it and see if it will play ball, and the Pentium system worked well enough with no hard drive, though I didn't try to run MenuetOS or something else that could run from a floppy. The 486 will be used for DOS dickery, and my faster, more capable 386, perhaps for Win3 stuff.
Yesterday on my "have to get the fuck out of town" trip around the area, I stopped by a few yard sales and thrift stores, and I got a couple PS2 games, and a couple Xbox games. Gran Turismo 3, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, NFS Carbon, and Sega GT 2002+Jet Set Radio Future (pack-in version), respectively. With my Xbox having a dead DVD drive, nothing can be done with the Xbox games yet. I would look into hacking it, but I can't be assed as I don't care about the system. The PS2 is getting a 320GB hard drive as soon as the United States Package Smashers bring it.

Good luck finding complete copies of some of those. Gamestop trashing the cases and manuals years back has NOT been helpful to the aftermarket.

Still better to be patient and look for good deals, with maybe the exception of games you never really see around (even then though I'd say to ask if you could try it before you buy it, to make sure it's something you're willing to drop that much money on).

You can still buy shit games in lots on ebay and such if you need cases. It's not like sports games will have any value other than parts. YMMV of course. Bootleg Genesis cases are about $4 each, and you can really only get the real ones on the cheap if you're fine with the retarded EA cases of varying thickness and absolute uselessness for standard Sega carts.

Yeah, I know. I got a bunch of old DS cases without games at a yard sale some years back to use with GBA games I've been wanting to store better. It's just that it's not always easy for people to do cover art prints: Some games don't have proper scans, and then there's the issue of either needing your own printer (with the colors synced right), or finding a location that will let you pay to print (where I am, Kinkos and the like will refuse to do so on grounds of "aiding bootleggers").

My general rule of thumb, at least when I'm out looking for games, is that if it came with an actual plastic case, get it complete wherever possible (and feasible in terms of price). Rarely I'll make an exception, like a game where some prints are known for being buggy and that I'd rather try my luck with $5 copies than a $35 one, or was a limited release version that's hard enough to find as is if the price is low enough. Most other cases though I'll just keep searching if something doesn't meet my own parameters, be it in terms of condition and/or price.

Keep an eye out on SlickDeals. They frequently have deals for color laser printers for around $60 or so. That's how I got mine. I've only made two inserts (TMNT for Genesis, and Yakuza for PS2), but the scan quality of the latter was potato-level. A long-ass time ago, maybe back on halfchan, someone came asking for scans of uncommon games and such, for CoverGallery or some other site, and I provided a few Master System and Genesis games, along with a couple unlicensed NES game box scans. Fortunately, I have a decent scanner and the ability to use it properly, being a former digital artist.
My job has absolutely killed my ability to feel lasting joy, so I often pass up games in thrift stores when I start feeling the wall of despair rolling in.

I got an Amiga as well, OP. An elderly lady brought this into my work the other day and she said I could have all of this for 50 BurgerBucks. I still need to clean it up and fin a proper place in my room, but it works fine so far. I'm kinda in love with it.

God fucking damn everything.

it's in absolutely gorgeous condition. very nice there. I got a Tandy 1000EX some time ago from some clean up job I took, it works last I tried it, just needs a bit of cleaning up at this point.

Doesn't look like you'd need it, but for anyone else who has any old second hand electronics like this, magic eraser works wonders on deeper blemishes and dirt. Just keep in mind that it's an abrasive so you are removing layers of the surface.

I was just about to share a story about how the thinkpad t42 (highest spec thinkpad with native windows 98 support) are shooting up in price but they only seemed to have jumped a little.

I'd strongly suggest getting one if you want a fantastic win9x machine.

Amiga's are fun as fuck just to mess about with. Pretty sure if you get a high end accelerator and modem, can still shitpost online with them as well. Does your internal drive make a loud sound when you put a floppy in?

All online are falling to the 'vintage' meme. Pretty shitty.

Thinkpads pretty good for fucking about with Linux as well.

All my envy. My asshole relatives threw out my classic computers, claiming that they had put them on the moving truck when I was moving to the city.

My first computer, which I recently restored to full functionality, with a not-horrible video card, is a nightmare. I looked up the motherboard for it trying to find chipset drivers (Win98SE had them already) and found a site selling the same board for over a thousand fucking dollars. Other dead sites that clearly had no inventory had it listed for about half that, but WHAT THE SHIT. It was a budget AMD Socket 7 board with ISA and PCI slots, not a Core 2 Quad with 8 bit ISA slots and built-in SCSI or some insane horseshit.

Image is the drive controller for the 486 I mentioned with no PATA or floppy connector on the motherboard.

Checked
The Cover Project is indeed a useful place, but it takes the main site forever to update with new scans. Best to check the forum as well if you're looking for a particular cover, but even they don't have everything worth having scanned there (and in the case of some games only have custom-made covers as opposed to official ones).

It felt absolutely ridiculous a few years back to see fucking Gamestop trying to justify asking scalper prices on a reprint of Xenoblade (which had come to NA only about a year before at that point) by labelling it as a "vintage" Wii game. Just made me wonder if they actually visualize how people are actually going to respond to such a thing; either way though, that sort of "marketing" didn't work, and the price soon dropped back from $90 to $50 preowned (still a lot for a Wii game, and the reprint copies weren't even still wrapped so they could be sold as "preowned" for Gamestop to make more profit on).

It make a little bit of noise, but nothing really loud, I would say.

Mine has a loud whirring when tried to play Lemmings on it, but probably needs to be cleaned. Shit's yellowed to fuck so probably been in a attic for years.

Only said vintage since out of curiosity for the Satellite, I checked ebay to see what it was like since needed a charger anyway. Every fucking one has vintage in the listing.

Open it up clean out the crushed up lizards and roaches then remove any old grease and give the gears a bit of fresh grease

Seems like I have a potential vintage refirbished specimen sitting in my parent's basement then

went all out this weekend, and my order from Nippon came in.

sorry for the blurry pic, experiencing Panzer Dragoon for the first time

Are they all by different vendors, or is it the same guy monopolizing it and wording all his listings the same? Though, I suppose it might not be that hard for one guy to make multiple accounts of his own.

Nice. Might want to get some goo-gone if you wind up having trouble getting those stickers off of Ace Combat 5.

All different. Different ratings and shit as well, so unless he's determined.

I'm thinking of collecting either PS2 or XBOX games in the future. Any suggestions on which one I should get and why? I already have a Gamecube but collecting games for that is a bitch and a half.

If you have to start, go with whatever one you played the most. Xbox MAY start picking up in price soon due to the backwards compat coming along, whilst PS2 already has a few that are up there in price (Rule of Rose for example).

I see. Probably just copycats adopting the lingo then, the way so many faggots stuff "[email protected]@K RARE" into their sale titles and description for shit that most definitely is NOT rare.

PS2 already has a handful of titles that are rather pricy, but may or may not be games you yourself are interested in. Bulk of the library is still within cheap to reasonable though. In comparison, from what I've seen locally, most every game aside from maybe two or three titles on the original Xbox is reasonable if not downright cheap, and even actually rare games like Otogi 1 and 2 are only like $20 each if not less, leaving price much less an issue compared to actually finding a copy in the condition you want. The Xbox is also prone to having the better versions of multiplats shared with the PS2.

However, I would recommend digging through what each system offers and see which has more of interest to you to play to begin with, and decide from there. No sense in collecting for the sake of collecting if you ask me, as that results in both wasted money and cluttering your shelves with shit you may not want to actually play.

Xbox if you're a Jew or liek 2 hax, PS2 if you like Japanese games. There's plenty of overlap for popular western titles. Bonus points if you can get a cheap set of component cables, my Xbox setup cost a grand total of $35. I softmodded then downloaded Holla Forums's Xbox game set.

Xbox prices are still very low, you can buy large lots of Xbox games on ebay for very cheap prices as a way to get started, most game stores that still stock xbox games sell them very cheap too. Gamecube has hideous Nintendo tax, and the most expensive xbox games aren't really going to end up costing you the price of half of certain gamecube games.

excellent

I want a sidstation really badly but will probably never get one. Would be annoying and expensive to track one down.

I'm not really into collecting software, be it games or otherwise, but I like hardware of all kinds, particularly if it's cheap and I can run my own software on it. I recently got an HP Compaq tc4400 for under $40 on eBay (well, including shipping and the power cable, it's about $40, but whatever). I had a power cable that was perfect for it, right amperage, voltage, polarity, it was even made by HP, but I didn't check it thoroughly enough, and the pin in the male end of the AC adapter that goes into the tablet was broken. I ordered a new one and while I'm waiting, I upgraded the RAM from 512 MB to 2.5 GB since I'm too lazy to dig into the unit and fully upgrade it to 4 GB. I'm going to mess around with Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, since that's what it came with, then I'm going to install Windows 7, just because it's more secure and easier to use modern programs on it. I might screw around with some Linux distros, but ultimately, I'm just going to be using it for graphical adventure games and reading comics, so it doesn't matter, as long as the pen works fine.

Those quads should help you on your journey.

What did you pay?

I have the Bayonetta 1+2 special edition.

If you mean the games, I would assume whatever the asking price on those limited print games are since it sounds like he bought them new (as opposed to dealing with aftermarket scalpers), so presumably $30 each if he was just getting the basic releases.

I played dos games on a tandy 1000 at a convention and it was cool.

I was surprised that you just put the DOS disk in, ran it, then put in whatever other disks you wanted and played those, and it just werked. I always hear that real DOS (Not dosbox) is finicky as hell.

Was that just a case where the convention people cherry-picked games that would work easily on the system? Or are DOS machines really that easy?

350, plus I've been invited on pro monitor hunts with this guy so I could have a large flow of 'em pretty easily. It also looks astonishing.

DOS machines are very easy. I also have a Tandy 1000 EX. A lot of people get intimidated by text prompts but if you know how to type in "help" you can probably do anything pretty easily.

How much does a PS3 go for these days? I'm kinda interested in getting one and buying a few games. Also wanted to ask about a few game prices. Is RE4 on Gamecube for $25 or Viewtiful Joe 2 on Gamecube for $20 a good deal?

so do you like, flush them out of the woods with digs or is it wait for them to come to you?

Picked up Wild Arms 2 in great condition at the thrift store. They didn't know how to price games so there wasn't a sticker, but this older employee came by and said "DVDs are $4" and the old biddy noticed it was a double case so she wanted the cashier to charge me double. I said it was a cd and "one game, one price" so the girl charged me $2 and it was half off day so I ended up getting it for $1 instead of paying $8 the old battleaxe would have charged me on any other day.
Just goes to show you, always go to the younger cashiers.

Good deal on a good game. That's like $20-25 where I am. Does make me wonder how daft one has to be to see a double-size jewel case and think it to be for DVDs. If she at least thought it was music CDs or something, that would be more understandable.

Make sure you got at least both discs with it; it is a two disc game after all.

Depends on the model. You might also want to consider what all you want to do with the system, whether you want to put CFW on it, play PS2 games with it, etc. That said, it's past gen now, and despite the PS4 not having backwards compatibility with it, I'm pretty sure a lot of them are on the market due to "trading up".