Recommendations thread

Subject. I've been looking through the steam new releases the past month and not much has stood out to me as being interesting, let alone good. I just want a fresh new thing to tackle while before I tackle later games in series in my backlog. Anyone got any recommendations for good, recent releases? Can be anything as long as it's not a VN or an RPG with shit combat like the Witcher games.
I've been recently playing
>World in Conflict(Fuck yes this is the sweetest shit ever Bannon did everything wrong)

Basically I tend to like games where you can go fast, dodge/guard a lot of shit, has its fair share of secrets and are challenging. What can you recommend?
Also ask for your own recommendations or give opinions on shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0JyVY0NQMRyekhEaHhBMENmTmc
delicious-fruit.com/ratings/game_details.php?id=18640
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

(checked)
Can never go wrong with the original Ys games on TG16-CD.

Books I & II
Wanderers from Ys (side-scroller, original Felghana story arc)
Dawn of Ys (same engine as Books, but non-canon)

Otherwise my other favorite TG16-CD RPG is Dragon Slayer.

Have you played obvious-to-Holla Forums games like Binary Domain or Timeshift? They're both good if you don't want to sink your time into anything too archaic.

the first mode is Sonic with Kirby powerups and the second mode is 2D Metal Gear Rising. I've been told I've been shilling this game a bit much, but I don't care. the game is really fucking good.

This may be a bit different than what you're used to, so I recommend playing the tutorial in Ace Combat 4 and then play the three games, keep in mind that Ace Combat 4 can only be emulated properly through software emulation, so you'll need a beefy rig.

Despite its influences this is a fast paced 2D platformer with bullet hell boss battles, so don't expect to tank everything, especially on the final boss. When you first play it, you will die. a lot.

Now I'm gonna get some shit for this, but the multiplayer is an absolute joy. Basically it's one of those gems in the shit that EA puts out. like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge.

The best Sanic game ever till Mania comes out

I'm sure you played this, but DMC3 is one of the best video games in history. With a revolutionary combat system that even games today can't touch, characters that are batshit crazy, and a difficulty setting that makes Dark Souls look like the NSMB games.

Anons here should at least give this game a shot. The game is distilled 90s anime tropes with run and gun platforming. Also,
Cheeky fucking japs.

I agree with Binary Domain, the single player is an absolute joy with set pieces that make it feel unique. Avoid the multiplayer though, it's trash.

also pick up the Yakuza series if you ever get the chance. the first Yakuza is a bit basic, but it gets really good with 2. Just don't cheat and start with 0.

Also, forgot to mention that the game was actually modified to be harder in the west because apparently the west is good at run and gun games.

I haven't played Timeshift, will try it. Thank you.

I'm afraid I've played all of these besides Spark the Electric Jester and Tit anvil. Speaking of Mirror's Edge, is Catalyst worth a pirate?

Looks my kind of game. Much obliged

Played the entire Ys series besides Dana. Thank you anyways, I'll try Dragon Slayer.

I heard Catalyst was terrible, also I can recommend a few things if you have a Switch, although I don't recommend getting the system till Holiday or 2018. Especially if you have a WiiU.

Spark is made from the guy who made After the Sequel, it's a very good game.

also based on your expertise, I assume you've played God Hand, Sonic Kart, Metal Gear, Prototype and Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, right?

if not then I recommend those games as well

Besides Web of Shadows, no. I haven't liked any of the Spider Man games I've played as a whole besides the first PS1 one with the Monster Ock.

I meant yes(as in I have played these games), not no

Don't pay attention to this nostalgiafag, Chronicles is the best way to enjoy the games.

Well it's been a while, but I felt that Web of Shadows was the best Spider-Man game, basically Spider-Man has this combo where you can do the 100 crack fist. it's pretty gnarly.

I knew what you mean user, have you played River City Underground, Custom Robo, Trails of Cold Steel, Serious Sam, Sin and Punishement and Wonderful 101?

I've played both and I'd say they're both very much worth playing, the PC engine for the great music and a hell of an adventure and Chronicles because the bosses are a hell of a blast to fight and I really like the remastered harmonica. Especially in Origin

Nope
Yes
Yes, meh.
Yes, and Painkiller too. I like these types of games, but I always hate the movement in them. I wish the main character would move quicker or have a dodge or have some parkour or a jetpack or some general movement gimmick to make fights more interesting.

Got no Wiiu. Last console I owned was a PS2 because lolpoorfag.
And I can barely emulate PS2 games so I doubt I can emulate it either.

Though my pic would be the last recommendation I can give. You may be brown but that doesn't mean you can't buy old systems for cheap and load it up with roms or isos. If you really are a poorfag then you are a lazy poorfag that can't into console modifications.

Loved DW8 but it sorely misses a few modes from DW5XL.
Thanks for the recommendations, user.

Seriously though OP, pick up a cheap as fuck ps2 and free mcboot that shit. That and a psp will give you more vidya than you would think.
t. smart poorfag

user I still have my old PS2, in fact I sometimes pick up an empty dvd and burn some discs for stuff I hadn't played before.
Have you played the PS2 shinobi? I had been looking for something akin to a 3D Mega Man Zero and it's pretty much delivered. I'd recommend it if you hadn't played it.

Titanfall 2 has better movement options than Serious Sam and Painkiller. I only recommend it on PC though, console versions are trash.

So you're a handheld and PC guy, eh?

You gonna get a Switch? It's basically a handheld with a TV out.

Singleplayer campaign any good? I'm starting to get interested here.

Probably not since I'm not that interested in first party nintendo games

not saying much, but it is probably the best FPS campaign in a very long time. Some absolutely brilliant levels. You'll just be done with it in like 4 hours.

Do emulators run metal gear series alright?

It's campaign is short but sweet, least I was told I need to play it

I had a few issues emulating MGS1, mostly relating to switching to disc 2.
MGS2's PC port is great in terms of performance, but in terms of control you really want yourself a dualshock if you're a faggot willing to use weapons(considering that it uses pressure sensitivity to aim most your weaponry and I think it uses vibration too.
MGS3 I dunno, I played it on my PS2 because my PC is shit tier and didn't emulate it well.
MGS4 emulates perfectly :^)
Ground Zeroes has a really good port because it ran flawlessly on this PC, and I don't know about TPP because I haven't gotten around to playing it yet and I'm deadly afraid that it'll disappoint me to no end.
Peace Walker also emulates well but is kind of shit since you can easily tell the bosses are made for co-op or after a bunch of grinding.

Also there's a MGS1 pc port but I haven't played it and I doubt it comes with the extras.
MGS2's PC port misses the skateboarding(I think, it's been a while since I've played it) but the VR missions are there.

What

The first 3 games are classics and are available very cheap on PS3 in a decent HD upgrade. Otherwise, try emulating. PS Vita version is not recommended and is worst way to play. Far superior to PS3 games. Don't get the remake.
Arguably the best PS1 racer, also one of the more difficult racing series. That being said, has one of the best soundtracks filled with 90's electronic music.
Always worth a replay. Far better than 1 which suffers in many ways.
Was as popular as Ratchet and Clank and released within a similar time period. Very good in their own regards. Jak X is a good racer as well and typically the most forgotten PS2 title.
One of the best PS2-era racers and overlooked gems. PSP version is as good as the console version.
Kill monsters, rinse, repeat.
Always a great 2 player game and one of the best sports series made.
Greatest NFL game and very addictive when playing with others.
The ultimate baseball game.
DAYTOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I thought when I saw that vid that it was some skating game I didnt know. Neat.

People here give it shit because of SJW-infested Arkane and having nothing to do with the original, but nuPrey is actually a pretty good System Shock style game. Nothing about it looks remarkable but it's just a solidly design collection of gameplay systems that work well together.

So, I've been looking at Cosmic Star Heroine, because I love classic Phantasy Star games - and CSH is supposed to be heavily inspired by them. But the thing is, the game looks like it has a high potential to be shit - and the only interesting bits that make me want to get it are pretty much where they ripped off Phantasy Star wholesale. So if that's the case, why shouldn't I just play a romhack/RPGmaker fan-PSV?

Is there anything there worth it's own merits?

Also, anybody know much about Super Cloudbuilt? Looks kind of like what a more fully realized version of what ReCore could have been if it were developed to be fun and wasn't the product of a talentless con-man.

It'll reach that point for sure.
After you beat the game once, they make you go through the whole thing again with remixed harder levels and limited lives.

OP have you heard of Dark Souls?
Shitposting aside, you may enjoy Cloudbuilt, shmups (I recommend Hellsinker and Mushihimesama), Mibibli's Quest and Monolith. They seem to fit your criteria

Jesus fucking christ i hate Edmund
At least the difficulty has some semblance of fairness unlike in Isaac (you no get dmg bonuses? enjoy 7 mins of shooting at rag man you piece of shit)

Does anyone know anything in the way of, like, strange or weird action games? Weird themes, weird mechanics, anything of that sort? PC would be ideal, but other consoles are welcome.
I saw someone mention Mibibli's Quest, which looks pretty interesting, and I'm also familiar with shit like El Shaddai and the Suda51/Grasshopper library.

Also that Konosuba game looks pretty cool. Is there a download link or magnet anywhere?

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0JyVY0NQMRyekhEaHhBMENmTmc
Copy dial.dat into the fonts folder for the english translation

Don't know anything about Super Cloudbuilt, but cloudbuilt is a pretty fun game.

Welp.

Tried Zeno Clash?

Both the original Metal Gear emulate perfectly but I would simply recommend you play the versions included in Subsistence, the NES ones do too but why in the fuck would you wanna play that
For MGS1 there's a PC port but I really wouldn't recommend it , does come with everything including the VR mission addon, emulation is basically perfect if not straight up better than console in every way just remember to set up a 2nd controller for that one fight.
For MGS2 the PC port is really solid but misses some extra the controls are kinda ass too for the VR parts but there's a special patch that allows for a control scheme that retains the pressure sensitive functions (you want that for the AR VR missions), emulation is okay provided you're using an intel+nvidia setup on the latest nightlies of PCSX2, to give you a basic idea I get 80-100fps uncapped at 8x res on a 4790k+1070 (cpu limited) on the tanker exterior and it still has occasional breakage in cutscenes
For MGS3 you need to emulate and you pretty much also require an Nvidia card because with AMD you get really shit performance and broken effects but it's actually much less demanding than 2 by default, here I get about 180-250fps (cpu limited) on the same setup, there is a 60fps patch that makes requirements skyrocket
For MGS4 actual emulation crashes on the Konami logo, you don't lose that much watching the story on Youtube though.
For MGS:PW you can emulate the PSP version but that comes with a few issues if you don't want the shit framerate or good controls, you can emulate the HD collection version too (you can't do that with the HD collection version of 2 and 3) but the requirements are crazy high and it's probably broken in places too.
Both GZ and TPP are straight up better on PC unless you really hate the idea of even having Denuvo on your PC at all for TPP, GZ doesn't have it.

As for the spinoffs
None of the mobile games emulate yet
Ghost Babel works just like pretty much any GB games that isn't that one fucking pinball game.
Ac!d 1/2 emulate well last I checked
Twin Snake emulates well enough provided you have a good PC
Portable Ops emulates well I guess, never tried
Reveangeance doesn't emulate at all afaik but the PC port is good, then again outside of the android port all version run at 60 almost locked

Yeah bruh, sick recommendations bruh, sports bruh.

I'm a bit deeper into the game and I think it's a much better game than SMB, I had my fair share of problems with SMB, mainly that a lot of the difficulty came from requiring pixel perfect jumping rather than having fun and challenging obstacle courses to manuever(one example in my mind is one of the salt factory warp rooms where you have to wall jump off a tiny one block platform in order to get a bandaid, also this game doesn't seem to waste your time as much(restarting a stage is faster, cartridges don't have you waiting 3 seconds in between each death and 10 seconds between every three deaths to show terribly made animations and poor references, also the music is pretty damn good compared to SMB, and the fact that it's mostly remixes of classical music is a pretty great idea). I like that most of the difficulty is that what I wanted from sMB, which are obstacle courses, and that it's more a matter of figuring out what type of jump works. Not to mention it has of my favorite things in games, that is having a lot of collectibles and having some sort of chart or record telling you how many of these collectibles remain, but not giving any specific directions as to where they are. And thankfully there hasn't been much in the way of bullshit besides The Future, whoever thought precise platforming that also requires speed combined with a completely black area where the platforms are the same color as you are the same color as the stage hazards should be shot.
I'd recommend it. #!w3AzHBBD!ZHHEen6DEoz0U2u5bWy47ubaT-IjFcQAHYBzt7iIn2g
Who voices ash in the first cutscene in the game? I could have sworn I've heard him before
I'm sorry if this is a multi post

you're kidding right?

I think I did. I think it ended up crashing my computer.
It's weird: my computer can run Dark Souls or Nier with no problems, but there's a short but very specific list of games that make everything freeze up and crash.
What happened with The Endless Cylinder?

I don't know.
Try Abyss Oddssey, although you might be turned off by the bullshit fucking reading my inputs AI

If you want to go fast you could try Dustforce. It may not have much in the way of secrets outside of a few easter eggs, but it does have a lot of nuanced mechanics and it's a solid challenge.

OP here, it's been a while since I've used M&KB for anything fast and reflex heavy and my controller just got fucked by a short tempered 10 year old. Anyone got any recommendations for something requiring precise aim and is fast, kind of like Lovely Planet?

I played it but I'm shit at it and I couldn't get past the golden keys in the lab tileset.

The problem with Dustforce, like many others of these platformers with the gimmick being that they're really hard, is that they eventually turn into long sections of 100% perfect inputs being required. It kills any flow the game has, which is generally the strongest part of a platformer. You're stuck on the same minute-long stage because you don't have the millisecond-precise timing required. It's just not any fun when you have to play exactly like a machine.

You just summed up my problem with 100% of the bullshit hard platform games. Also they have absolutely no sense of pacing whatsoever
Why
Same shit happens in dustforce too, i remember unlocking the very first secret stage like 3 hours in and then spending 6 hours on it

Honestly at this point I wish for a regular platformer that is challenging and has some combat rather than some Wings of Vi/SMB/Dustforce type speedrunner in mind SUPER HARDCORE type of thing. As much as I like End is Nigh so far I'd be a liar if I said I'm enjoying it more than say Maldita Castilla. Also fuck the keyboard controls of End is Nigh. Why are platformers usually so fuck with keyboard?

I guess I kind of contradicted myself since Wings of Vi is kind of what I'm wanting, but from what I remember that game was exceptionally brutal with the difficulty.

Try that
delicious-fruit.com/ratings/game_details.php?id=18640
Not the usual bullshit platforming you would expect from the type of games.
Some combat that is kinda hard
And some exploration and non-linear progression to top it off.

Looks fun, thanks user.

I'm assuming you've already played Gurumin, but if not get on that.

Yep.
Was really good, reminded me of MMLegends actually.

I'm guessing you've played Brandish: The Dark Revenant?

nope, I had plans to play the Falcom games I hadn't but TitS pretty much foiled that plan

Didn't like TitS? Shame, Kiseki is my favorite vidya series, easy.

I see the appeal, and the music is fantastic, but no matter how hard I try I can never get far into turn based JRPGs or most RPGs in general

Well, Brandish ain't turn-based.