ITT Games/Series that will never be revived

And if they are revived, they'll never be as good as the previous games. Like a new Radiata Stories will skimp out on having a ton of recruitable NPCs with daily schedules.

Radiata Stories only exists so they could build the engine for Valkyrie Profile 2.

It had a good run, it should rest in peace

Wild Arms died peacefully, unlike the necrotic corpse that is Star Ocean.
At least that chick with the crosshatch costume triggered the fuck of out of pansies.
Anyway, EZ mode topic op. Just pick almost any game from 1998~ 2007 that you really enjoyed.

Legend of Legaia.

probably for the better

Are there any more JRPG games with a western setting?

Metal Max Returns is Post-apoc like Fallout so sorta…

Shadow Hearts has you visiting the west. But it's more America than the "wild west", sadly.

Metal Saga here in the states and it's more like Shounen Jump presents Fallout feat. Mad Max
I honestly wish they brought a few of them over. Hell, the latest one of the 3DS would have been a great contender. If you ever needed a reason to learn moonrunes, then there's your reason.

Metal Saga has a more modern contemporary aesthetics, Metal Max Returns (for the SNES) is much more western.

Good, let it die. XF was awful and while IV and V were good don't let MediaWorks touch it, they started of copying off IREM anyway.

3DS sequel or some shit

Got some trashy PSP or Mobile sequel

Let it die, it went out fine

don't care to comment on

Speaking of IREM I see that for the most part there is a small dev team working on a new Disaster Report title and then maybe after Bumpy Trot 2. In all honestly neither game sounds difficult to make anymore with so many game engines and 3D programmers.

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Wow, Boktai's already on its 14th anniversary. RIP in peace, Solar Sensor.

Boktai's pretty western. You're a lone gunslinger shooting down enemies as you travel through deserted places. Never mind the fact that you're shooting zombies and vampires down with the power of a magic gun that shoots sunlight.

Nice shit taste there.

You'll never know what happened to Kyosuke.

Considering current Capcom's state, I'm perfectly fine with this.

It for the best. They didn't even localize 50% of the games in their original releases, now just imagine how bad modern capcom would be with the games.

Did it really died? I remember weebs playing the shit out of it on PC, keyboard instead of the catpissed rag.

Specially with their SJW pandering as of late, eat your hamburgers Shoma!

Not that it matters since Capcom has gone to such shit. I want to believe that Sega might give us a new Streets of Rage, at least.

Wouldn't these games be fucking archaic when full range 3D beat'm'ups exist?

I don't see how.

They are relatively short, lack mechanics like God Hand or lack story like Yakuza.

They're also a completely different genre at this point.

Bruh, 2D beat em ups are still massively popular. Look at the success of Dragon's Crown and the recent resurrection of River City Ransom games in the west. There is a fuck ton of 2D beat em ups being pumped out, hell you can even expand it farther if you include beat em ups with 3D models/environments but the gameplay is still 2D based like Double Dragon Neon.

I can see shit like Demon Blade Muramasa and Dragon's Crown being popular because they add RPG elements to the side scrolling beat em up, but I just don't see how people can pay even $40 for a new Final Fight, where it's exactly the old games.

Where the fuck are you pulling the 40 bucks figure from? New 2D beat em ups are usually 10 to 25 bucks or 30 if they get a physical release.

Well, I don't know that, I just assume they cost like regular games.

Depends on the game and content like every other genre. More mechanics and content; the price goes up. The more standard the game is; the lower the price.

I had thought that series was safe from being relegated to the mobile hell. I had thought that, if it ever was going to see a new game, it would still be on Sony's systems, given they own the rights and have their own line of systems. I was wrong. It would seem that with some of Sony's own games/series, they know there's still an audience for it and money to be had, but aren't worthy of being on their own systems anymore, so instead they seek to reboot it for the mobile audience instead. Same thing's happening to Arc the Lad as well, also owned by Sony.

I got my $15 worth of enjoyment from WA4, however it's not what I wouldn't necessarily call a very good entry, nor would I ever recommend it over any of the other ones for those looking to get into the series, or play more of it. I only really bothered with it because I found it cheap and figured I might as well learn what makes everyone seem to hate it for myself. I also went in with very low expectations, so that might be part of why I can't hate it myself, but still.

That had a PS2 sequel called Legaia 2: Duel Saga. I don't think anything more came of it beyond that and the original, but I could be wrong.

I want to say that I've heard Live-a-Live has a character/chapter set in a wild west setting, but that's just it: a section. The western (albeit more of a "weird west" than wild west) setting was kind of Wild Arms niche amongst JRPGs.

Atlus wasn't the developer, and only held publishing rights to it for NA. The game was made by a company called "Cattle Call" (who also made the PS2 Arc the Lads), and published in Japan by Sony. Granted, if you're implying even if a sequel was made, Atlus wouldn't want to pick it up, that's liable to be true. They seem willing to take a hit every so often on various games to see if there's room to bring more west, but if they don't sell that well they lose interest, sometimes after one entry, sometimes after a few (IE: Metal Saga, Luminous Arc, Super Robot Taisen, etc). And from what I know, Tsugunai wasn't especially well received by critics, and I don't think it sold well either given how little I see it locally.

Why does Square Enix have to be so cruel

Oni.

playing this right now, I really like it. Even if everything screams low budget and embarrassingly one dimensional characters

There are some fates that are worse than death user

;_;

Well there was Prototype 2 but yeah, the series is most likely dead now.

There is no Prototype 2
Just like how there is no Tsukihime anime
I thought these things were already established

Why did you dislike Prototype 2? It was exactly the same but better, aside from the Protagonist change it could almost have been the same game except for better superpowers and slightly better graphics.

some games are better off dead, user
its better they age like a fine wine over time than be rehashed in to constant garbage that ruins the franchise and tarnishes the original work

This shit makes my blood boil.

Seems to be the fate for most From Soft games that aren't Kings Field, Armored Core, or Souls. Echo Night was at least lucky to get three games (only the first and third of which came west; the second game is fan-translated).

I don't think that's a bad thing really. Two great games. I'd rather see them move on to something new.

It's better to die in a blaze of glory than to fade away.

Never again.

I will never not be mad at what they did to Sleeping Dogs
>middle market game gets good reaction but doesn't meet (((sales expectations)))

Would have been perfect to get an updated game of this series with the Wii-mote

Fucking Brandish.

It was exactly like my friend had told me, I clocked in 18 hours when I beat the game and it felt like I should have had over 60 or some shit. Don't get me wrong, it's an alright game, but it's probably one of the most repetitive games I have ever played. Nothing really challenges you, the soundtrack and sound effects will wear you down, and getting 100% of the map cleared was so tedious that I probably could have been declared braindead trying to complete it.

Thanks Namco

I was almost positive I was the only person who remembered that this exists.

xylvania did nothing wrong

Apparently the Falcom CEO wants to do somethign with Brandish but that fucker has been sucking NIS and NISA's dick recently that I don't want it anymore.
Rather it never get another game than receive a shitty localization and/or a poorly optimized PC port

The other games in the series has more music variety, more dungeon traps, deeper combat and better bosses. The only thing Dark Revenant has over the other games is more natural controls/camera and Dela mode.

It's a hard one to forget, honestly. The only problem is that so few people actually knew about it in the first place. The characters were great though, and the soundtrack is cool.

Been considering picking up a copy on the cheap next time I see one (and it's not a game that shows up too infrequently, nor has a high price where I am). I do have to wonder though: from what I've heard about the writing (as I've yet to play the game myself), was the original Japanese script as eccentric as well, or was at least some of that just liberties taken with the western release?

Considering it's seen a PS4 digital rerelease to my knowledge, I suppose it's got some amount of recognition still, if at least in the "what the hell is this?" sense of people browsing the PSN in general and coming across it. Of course, being that Sony owns the rights to the game to my knowledge, putting it up there was probably easy money for them (same for doing so with Wild Arms 3 and Dark Cloud 1 and 2, as far as JRPG rereleases on the system go).

I've only taken a quick look at the early Japanese script, but it seems like the English script is faithful to the original. I mean, the game itself is strange to its bones, so this doesn't come as a surprise to me.

I'm still waiting.

Free space 3 will never be made.

we will never fight the shivans at their home

There's a Nipponese sequel? I can't find any reference to it.

Square-Enix publishes Tomoko's manga

Neat.

Oh the Tetsujin 28-go/Gigantor game they made plays like it. Anyone have an ISO?

I figured that things that involve items beyond the script itself (visuals, etc) would have to still make some amount of sense between them, but something about what I'd heard had almost sounded like the sort of quirk-adding liberties other companies might take, like NISA (not that they, or NIS, had anything to do with Okage to my knowledge; just mentioning them as an example). I'll take your word for the western version being faithful to the original content though if it seemed like everything synced right with the content/vibe itself.

It's a legitimate problem to worry about for sure– I hate it myself when localizers make pointless changes to the original I will never stop complaining about Tales of Hearts R– but Okage was like this from the beginning, from what I can tell.

Hearts R hurt. Hurt bad. Considering how 8-4 had previously done a decent enough job with Abyss PS2, Vesperia, Graces f, and Xillia, I think the real thing there is that, since Namco didn't care to bring the game west to begin with, upon having their hand forced by Sony, they couldn't be bothered to keep 8-4 on as tight leash as usual. and 8-4 does love them some projects with little-to-no oversight, which they claim as their favorite ones to have handled.

On a related note, Namco really ought to put together a manual or something of existing character names and terminology translations to be given to any other team that they whore the games out to now post-8-4. I mean, it's good that 8-4's gone (especially after Hearts R), but the newer team seems inexperienced if you ask me, and little things like missing the cameo names for some of the cats in X2 annoyed me as a fan of the series.

Out of curiousity, were those captured differently, or is the NA version duller in color palette? Just noticing the change in lighting/vibrance between those, as well as in .

Actually, Sega could actually make another Streets of Rage in the old style. Too bad the Fangame "Streets of Rage Remake" was already the best game in the series

I just pulled those screenshots off of different YouTube videos, don't worry too much about that.

A collection of recurring character/terminology translations sounds huge, even if we're ignoring obvious stuff like Destiny and "Destiny II"s arte names. Still, it's a better idea than tossing the translators out to into the wild without any direction.

Well, considering that either checking the fanwiki, or asking western players themselves for advice to retain cohesion here seems out of the question (like due to being "unprofessional" an actual handbook of sorts, loaned out to the translators and editors they've been using, might be ideal. For Artes, it would likely be best to use names established from Symphonia on, where they seemed to actually start using terms they later more or less settled on, thought ones from Destiny and Eternia that haven't shown up since could potentially be reused if they do make a reappearance. Anyhow, all I'd think it would really require is some dividers between what the classification is (character name, arte/skill, lore term, location, etc), the moonrunes of the word, the established English term, and maybe what game it stems from if they wish to double check. Namco, hell, even a fan who's played the games could probably compile that readily (and Aselia wiki is reasonably good about including both English and written moonrunes) if they had the energy and desire to. Yet at this point we're somehow still getting "Final Player" instead of "Final Prayer", which westerners that had played Destiny 2 had long since figured out the intention of.

Of course, Bamco could also make the effort to patch things when fans point out something's wrong, the way TK and Acttil patched ANS PS3's NPC dialogue, but again, that also requires they care enough to, and/or are willing to fork over extra money for a patch. Better it be done right the first time.

Let Wild Arms rest in peace. I just don't want to taint the beauty that is WA1 opening song and gameplay.

On the other hand, a spiritual successor focusing more on Cowboy themed RPG is badly needed.

Is it worth a try? I never touched that IP since I was late to the Saturn and Dreamcast party. The only thing I knew is the rule 34 of the game.
People actually care about this game?
They are great one hit wonder. I prefer a HD remake version.
I can't finish those games because young me always getting boner while playing those games.
I still want to see SMT RPG as impressive as SMT Nocturne.

Man I remember loving this game so much.

Heh, I always want to see the "What happened to characters in old videogames after the franchise died down. I really want to know what happened to Blaze. Probably married and being a stay home house wife with three children.

Yep, I was one of those people who raged when I saw Ridge Racer Unbound trailer. They tried to emulate Burnout when Burnout itself was almost dead as well. It was such a shitty move. Who made their fucking decision? An out of loop elderly?

I never knew these two games. Are they worth playing or my boner just pulling me?

user…

Given that Wild Arms, despite having become a reasonably sized series (between five main games, a remake, a TRPG spinoff, a stand-alone anime, and various manga), has remained a cult series at best even in Japan as far as I'm aware, I'd wager that's why there haven't been much if any attempts at a wild west (or just "weird west" the way Wild Arms tended towards) JRPG beyond that. That setting was kind of its niche amidst the subgenre, and once Sony apparently stopped letting Media Vision make more until now, no one really bothered to pick up the setting for their own JRPGs out there.

Star Ocean is not Phantasy Star. Star Ocean is a series made by Tri-Ace and published by Square-Enix (just Enix for the earlier pre-merger ones), while Phantasy Star is Sega owned and developed to my knowledge.

Mister Mosquito has a Japan only sequel from what I've heard.

it still hurts, doesn't it?

Why even live?

It's a Jackie Chan-style action/crime movie perfectly put into game form.

Would be nice if anyone could even find the Developer…

life is suffering

There are so many.

Also, technically SSX did come back, but it wasn't as good as the last games.

What a blast from the past, thank you.

Didn't last gen have an SSX game? I mean, it was trash if I recall, but the series hasn't been written off as dead

It hurts.

PixelArts may have left after one game, but from delving through the credits page on MG, a number of the staff have kept on working on making various games over the years.

It was OK. It certainly much, much faster and stylish compared to 3's era, but the deadly descents were very hit and miss and the level/gear system was poorly implemented and even more poorly expanded later.

The core gameplay is solid enough to recommend at 20 bucks.

At least it still has an active community, right?

I should add Lost Vikings, but Blizzard as the biggest kikes they are, "remembered" their IP and add it to a shitty ASSFAGGOTS game.

The game will be remembered as a Squidward meme, that is if people recognize the song.