Who is your favorite video game composer...

Who is your favorite video game composer? Do you feel you could make a compelling case why they are the best composer for the soundtracks they've produced and do you think they are among the greatest in the field or do you have a more humble view of their work?

Other urls found in this thread:

thepiratebay.org/torrent/7380905/NEOTOKYO_deg__OST_[FLAC]
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Darren Korb, David Wise, Hideaki Kobayashi, Manabu Namiki, Danny Baranowsky, Fumie Kumatani, Go Ichinose, and even a bunch of relatively unknown Indie artists.

There are hundreds more. If I had to tell you why, I'd hijack your thread. They're just damn good musicians OP. They ooze creativity and constantly push the envelope for something new and exciting.

I find a bag of new artists every week, so it really is a bitch to describe them ALL.
Some get you pumped, some make you feel 80's nostalgia, others make you feel mellow, while a few are so fucking coy with your emotions, they know exactly what to do, what FREQUENCIES they can use to manipulate your emotions. Insane, passionate, talented artists.

Iwasaki Taku

This thread sucks, there's too many good composers you may as well ask for a list, and I can't remember all of them either.

Nobuo Uematsu. His music has had a consistently very high quality over the years and has shown himself adept at handling many different genres. His extensive use of leitmotif in works such as his Final Fantasy VI OST are truly incredible. Dancing Mad is also one of the best final boss pieces I've ever heard, and it fits with the visuals as a waped, perverse version of the Divine Comedy. He even quotes Bach's Toccata and Fugue during the section of the battle meant to represent heaven, but taints it with presentations of Kefka's leitmotif.

Of course, his other works are also phenomenal. The man creates amazing music, and I applaud him for it.

nice meme

simply epic

Yukihiro Jindo. Most, if not probably all of the modern Ys games.
Yuzo Koshiro. The older ys games, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Shenmue, god damn.

Hideki Naganuma is one of the best.

There's a difference between funposting and being an annoying cumguzzler, you know.

Honest to god. First time I've ever heard his music, one of the first times I've heard an early FF theme actually. I never played many RPGs on the SNES, and I have to say, the overall build-up here is absolutely phenomenal, and the instrumentation is somewhat impressive for the hardware it is on. It really makes you feel like you're going against an unholy, damned force from beyond your own reality.

As if you've gotten god himself and bastardized him to a murderous cold, fragile, broken, fragmented, unstable and reckless killer.
Very great piece of music. Though, it is outdated now, and I would like to hear and extremely faithful redux of it.

I am disgusted. Nearly any western composer who came after him was inspired by Tim. If you have enough autism, i am sure you could argue his effect on nip composers as well.

You're some kind of data-mining faggot, aren't you? Because your question is too specifically phrased to be organic.

Report and hide, user.
Report and hide.

Oh shit. I love this fucker. I really need to know what the chips playing the music are called.

amiga.resource.cx/dir/audio
Oh, well. It's in here, somewhere.

ME

The Black Mages have a cover, and there is also one in Distant Worlds II. They are both pretty good. I like the latter better for the organ and the ending, though the former has an excellent guitar solo and has the better rendition of the first part of tier four in my opinion (the more rock sounding section).

I'm very glad you enjoy the piece!

Frank Klepacki, on most of the CnC games and RTS spiritual successors he worked on, he always manages to bring his industrial metal with some B-movie grade music vocals to give each song some meat, gave the RTS games the attitude of war machines clashing.

None of these can compare to Bach.

ZUN

Bach has nothing on Jeremy Soule.

This Zun? If so, you are golden.
This is such an ethereal, yet intense piece of music.
My thoughts; Holy war.

Steven Universe tumor face Reggie fils aime looking ads

When you compare everyone to probably the greatest musician in history, you're going to be disappointed.

No, he's technically correct, but he's being an insufferable cunt about it. You can enjoy composers for what they've created without comparing them to each other.

Also there's a shameful lack of Jeff Van Dyck in this thread

NO YOU CAN'T user, GOD!!!!

/thread

Not the ZUN I was talking about, but a very fine track nonetheless. Nice taste user.

Thank you.

He means 2hu Zun because of all the counter melodies.

Yes. U.N Owen her was an absolute classic. Not only is it a meme, but it is genuinely memorable.

The only mining I'm doing is in your mom's pussy, really i just wanted a video game music thread that wasn't youtube embed spam and had a few honest opinions tossed around. Maybe an argument here and there - for example i think jeremy soule is incredibly generic and all his music is the blandest possible fantasy soundtrack and tim follin while technically interesting existed in a vacuum as far as impact goes and his music feels distinctly not gamey.

Just some basic reflections i can think of. I started with saori kobayashi because her work is incredibly unique and covers a vast array of genres.

I only strive to be the best. Sorry that I'm not impressed with mediocrity.

Flowering night is better

Best track coming through.

Is that why you're in a videogames board instead of chiseling a statue or painting a landscape? y'know, doing things that are productive and "uplift" the soul and enrich the spirit, instead of being a bitter cunt in a Texan bull wrangling forum?

Yes.

Since we're on the topic of Sega racing games, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi's pretty fuckin' good, most people only recognize him for his singing in the Daytona USA OST but forget that he also composed the music for my embed, Daytona USA and worked on fantastic OSTs like Virtua Fighter 2 and 3.

I've always liked stuff by Daisuke Ishiwatari.

Koichi Sugiyama. The Dragon Quest symphonic suites can easily stand alone as excellent modern classical pieces.

Shoji meguro is a god

The guy who composed the music for the Total War games up until Empire (Jeff van Dyck) and the Final Fantasy guy Nobuo Uematsu. Also Mick Gordon is pretty great and no, I'm not talking about nuDoom (the only good track from that game is BFG Division), I'm talking about his work on nuWolfenstein and especially Killer Instinct.

Despite the bait, I generally prefer the sound from Bach's time to the full orchestra romantic style that Soule and most video game composers use. Why do no video games use classical music?

In general, the Baroque sound is not as popular and tends to be relegated to more niche places. Also, it is much easier to find pianists than cembalists. I agree though, I really love early music (before 1750). The one I wish to hear more of is the Renaissance style vocal polyphony, which I think would fit especially well for chapels or the like in games.

italian composers > german composers > french composers > americuck composers = japcuck composers

You know it to be true.

I prefer Bach's organ tunes to his orchestra as well.

I would place German above Italian, as well as Russian. This is mostly due to my general preference of instrumental music, and most Italian composers have a preference for opera. I'm not sure about the rest of it as well, but whatever you like is up to you.

Bach's organ writing is incredible. The Passacaglia and Fugue is probably my favorite of his. If you enjoy that sort of writing, check out Buxtehude. He was a composer from the previous generation who Bach walked over 200 miles to learn from. Check out his Passacaglia in d minor, the g minor prelude, and the e minor chaconne to start with.

Baroque music isn't for video games, it's made for kino.

Which composer are we talking about here? The Italians are extremely diverse, they did everything from inventing counterpoint to the eclectic spaghetti western and eurocrime music. There aren't many italian vidya composers, but they're great.

That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I actually prefer his works to Bach personally.

Akihiro Honda
Literally god-tier. Heavens Divide and Love Deterrence will always stay in my heart.

I have playlists of polyphony and chants for when I play medieval games. I also have playlists of baroque and classical for games like EU. It bothers me that every time period before the 19th century gets this generic orchestral soundtrack. Late classical (two or three violins plus a piano) is easy and could fit most genres pretty well, I think. A game in a fantasy setting, I think, would really stand out with that kind of soundtrack.

I'm more intelligent then you.

You are disgusting.

Is this game as good as it sounds>

I was thinking more classically. Monteverdi, Donizetti, Puccini, etc. As far as inventing counterpoint, I'm going to have to see a source on that. I know you start seeing terms like "fugue" in writings by Tinctoris and Jacobus of Liège and the like, who to my knowledge aren't Italian. Certainly there have been great Italian composers, I simply prefer the German and Russian sounds.

I agree. The only game I can think of that handled it well was old Civ. I remember especially III did a good job of evoking the time period you were in.

Are the Japanese all congenital faggots? The people they seem to raise up as role models would be considered the most autistic wretches in the west. Do they not have the capacity to cringe?

He saw Austin Powers and wanted to be cool like that super cool westerner. :^)

Seconding Yuzo Koshiro, after 30-some years he's still doing good work.

Thought to answer OP's question I would say Setsuo Yamamoto from the east and Tommy Tallarico for the west for video related.

Martin O'Donnell

Motoi Sakuraba

Just to name a few. Everything he makes sounds really unique and memorable. Pic related is just the first thing I clicked on

this
that soundtrack made that game worth playing.

Thirded

I was Just about to say him until I ctrl + F-ed. I wonder what he's doing now?

I assumed it's because everyone knows about him.

Yoko Shimomura
Hitoshi Sakimoto

Im not going to explain them, google them and find their work for yourself, these people with their creative talents make them gods among men.

Also, credit to the people who composed Xenoblade Chronicles and SMT4 which are also my fav soundtracks.

I wouldn't put him on godhood level, but I liked Widdly2Diddly's music for Lisa. It's certainly different but nice, and I liked that the leitmotif's present for different songs, even in parts where it sounds like just noise but it's that song slowed down a lot.
Brad's song at the start was tragic same for when Rando's dead, and other songs pump you up like War Season.

They do, but the Japanese are known for not demonstrating openly what they really think

He also did the soundtrack for Outrunners which i consider superior to the original Outrun tbh

shit i meant to reply only to

Just wiki that shit.

Mark Morgan. Best known for the original Fallouts, his minimalist ambient soundtracks pushed the games from "pretty good" to "timeless classic". Laud the writing all you want, nothing set the mood and atmosphere better than Morgan's music. A great example of the music being the only factor that helps build suspense in the player while playing a detached character in a third person game. a perfect example of music that is functional to the gameplay, rather than being strictly melodic.

I think it's incredibly bland and forgettable. The only person who made any decent sounding ambient tracks in video games was aubrey hodges. Nothing about the fallout games is good.

Masashi Hamauzu

Hirokazu Ando was the first one to come to mind but Yoko Shimomura and Kazumi Totaka are also really great

ZUNTATA is a team of top-tier composers who have produced some excellent but underrated soundtracks over time, most of which have left to do their own thing.

The founder, Hisayoshi Ogura, was a fucking visionary when it came to pushing the standards of video game music. His music was so good and unique that the sound chip in the Darius Gaiden PCB (in 1994) was tailor-made for him so he could express his music to his fullest. His work on Darius 1 was considered avant-garde by many, focusing on exploring themes of the unknown void of space and the inorganic nature of the massive fish monsters you fought. It wasn't until Darius Gaiden that he ascended, producing an unique operatic new age soundtrack punctuated with harrowing vocals and strong feelings of melancholy. The first stage theme, VISIONNERZ was made to fully match what's going on in the game, and keeps playing up to the end of the second stage past the first boss fight.
G-Darius takes one step even further by having the sounds be almost entirely comprised of remixed industrial factory sounds. Kimera II is an awe-inspiring piece which tries to be epic and wholly succeeds, providing a sliver of hope in an otherwise tense and bleak soundtrack. Adam is the ultimate piece which intertwines the soft piano for the Silver Hawks with the loud industrial hits of the Thiima in order to set up a giant duel of fate.

Yasuhisa Watanabe is known for his feel-good ethereal techno-jazz style, going on to compose for many games such as Metal Black, Elevator Action Returns, Border Down, Void Gear, and the Senko no Ronde series. Metal Black saw many original pieces such as Born to be Free playing over a wasted Earth, Dual Moon being a peppy and catchy theme for going into space, and non-fiction/a mirage of mind #2 being the prime example of sheer badassery. Border Down would give us exciting stage themes such as Snow Fox, Fleet Game, and Upon a New Raid, Purple Town, and finishes it off with the climactic Morning Kisses. Senko no Ronde would see a great variety of styles to suit the main characters, but assemble and Grey Lips surely stand out from the rest with their sheer energy.

Tamayo Kawamoto went from Capcom to Taito's ZUNTATA, and became the mainstay composer on the Ray series. RayForce was an excellent game with excellent visual storytelling unbeknownst to most shmups, which is even further aided by its excellent soundtrack. Tamayo has a deepfounded love for French New Age music, even going as far to include some French voice samples voiced by herself. PENETRATION is an excellent first stage theme which gets you excited right off the bat, and goes on to impress with the catchy tunes of G and the immediate tension of CRACKING! and VISION, and is finished by the mystical QUARTZ right before you enact global genocide.
RayStorm saw some excellent themes in the form of Catharsis, Luminescence, Toxoplasma which do a great job of detailing the descent towards the enemy planet. The last stage theme, Slaughter Hour, is unlike anything I've heard, giving the final mission an incredible sense of desperation and madness.

Shohei Tsuchiya is the one carrying on torch from Ogura for the Darius series. His freeform jazz style is definitely more fixed than Ogura's range, but Tsuchiya manages to blend his music with a variety of styles which make them all sound unique enough and sufficiently avant-garde enough to keep that ZUNTATA sound. The Dariusburst PSP OST introduced many series favourites such as Good-bye my Earth, Hinder One, World of Spirit, and Iron Corridor. It would then go on to be expanded with Chronicle Saviours which provided some of the best in the series like Splendid Form, Shining Eyes and Catabolism. The arcade release also saw the introduction of the Photosynthesis Suite, where three powerful operatic pieces are tailor-made to suit the first three stages, and each of them intensify right as the boss battle begins.

this faggot maybe.

Greg Grimes and Grant Kirkhope. Why? Listen to their stuff.

Grant lost his charm, unfortunately.

yooka laylee has a very good ost, so it must be other things that are indicative of a "lost charm"

Would have posted some of her stuff earlier if I'd noticed the thread. Still saddens me that a DS game she worked on the OST for, Nora to Toki, never came west, and the fan-translation seems completely dead. At least you can enjoy an OST without language barrier though.

Depends on the work/series in question. With Tales, I think he honestly needs a break there to come up with fresh ideas after having to compose music for so many similar locations over the course of much of the main series (which is now sixteen games, of which he's worked on fourteen, I think). Let Shiina take over entirely for a game or two.

I like Ayako Mori best because she composed my favorite video game theme of all time.

Aside from who is absolutely fantastic, I've always been fond of Jake Kaufman and Tsunku, for their work on Mighty Switch Force and Rhythm Tengoku respectively.

MARTY. YES.

Wow.. step your game Holla Forums

I am not very wise on this topic but I have always had softspot for Michiru Yamane.

Yuzo Koshiro

yuzo koshiro
streets of rage 2

my niggas

Whoever composed the King's Field 1 (NA) OST

I don't idolize people but I can recognize their work when I hear it in other games, or in vid related's case, influenced in popular songs by radiohead.

The fuck is wrong with you people? At least David Wise is in the first reply.

Guess it is too abrasive and ahead of its time.

Jesper Kyd.

No one does atmospheric songs better than him. And they actually fit the levels they are in.

namco sound team

Ryu Umemoto
F

Good shit.

Hideki Naganuma, hands down.
His flavor isn't really appropriate for every kind of game, but hot damn do I love his funky beats.

That was beautiful.

Ed Harrison is my favorite composer. I'm not sure I could make a compelling case to say that he's the best composer, but the Neotokyo OST hit all of the right notes for me. I fucking love it.

Good taste.

If anybody has more info on where I can get tracks made by these composer's I'de be really appreciative.

thepiratebay.org/torrent/7380905/NEOTOKYO_deg__OST_[FLAC]
85F788B7C89F3D83BC557DE14566284DF5AED9F9

Anybody wanna help seed?

Bumping. Music threads always die to soon.

Hideki soundtrack is god tier

Pic related made some of the best tracks i heard in vidya

My nigga.