Is the Steam controller cheaper if bought in physical stores rather than online?

Is the Steam controller cheaper if bought in physical stores rather than online?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rBhIyUhAxCs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

maybe in a few months once they're desperate to get rid of stock. nobody buys these things so they just eat up shelf space.

Wouldn't that already have happened?
The thing came out ages ago

Supposedly the entire point of the controller is to be more comfy than KB+M yet have the same level of precision as a mouse. But I am skeptical as fuck. Are people ACTUALLY good at games that need mouse-precision like CS with this controller or is it all Valvedrone meming and shills?

All I know is that it is absolutely impossible to play CS with a traditional controller/gamepad

Why would you want a Steam controller?
It's the worst of both worlds

Nothing will ever be as precise as a mouse, even valve knows that.
But I tried the controller with traditionally mouse and keyboard games and it's an excellent replacement. I'd use it mostly for single player stuff but that's up to you really.

This has been fixed

Also, because I want to play vidya while relaxing in front of my TV and it's impossible to get comfortable while using a mouse and a keyboard

So just get an Xbox One or Dualshock 4?

use a ds4 with a 10 or 15 foot usb cable.

No, not even close. The entire point of the steam controller is to be better than a regular gamepad for games you would otherwise be using an M/KB with, not to actually compete with a M/KB for M/KB games. For games you would normally play a gamepad with, it's also worse than a traditional gamepad, so you'll still need to get one of those too. Is this starting to sound highly niche? Well, that's because it is. The steam controller was specifically designed for HTPC use. If you don't have an HTPC, buying a steam controller is stupid as fuck.

Both of those are terrible and don't allow me to play stuff like Civ, Cities Skylines, etc.
And they're also worthless for most single player FPS games

Its the best controller on the market right now. Just dont use it for games you shouldnt be using it for and its fine.

I tried it and it was fucking trash.
Especially considered the price.

Also the whole point of this is that I want to play certain PC stuff on my TV. If I wanted to play a console I'd buy a fucking console

I need one for that reason too. I got decent gaming pc in my room, but in my living room I have a laptop connected to my TV. I can stream games from my gaming computer to my laptop, which allows me to play games on my big screen while sitting on the couch.

Got a wireless mouse and keyboard for my laptop, but they are a pain in the ass, especially the mouse. The steam controller seems to be a good solution, but I honestly don't want to buy it. It looks ugly as fuck.

That's a pretty shit advice buddy. Why buy something you don't need?

If it works I don't care much about being ugly.
I just wish it wasn't so fucking expensive, I'm probably gonna have a tour between my city's stores and see if I can grab a used one for a discount

Fucking 55 euros can you believe that shit

But that's the regular price, only idiots pay that. Steam had some discounts on it in the past. -30% and I think even -60% are common. Just wait for the next sale.

I don't think it ever had discounts, Steam Enhancer isn't mentioning any

steamdb.info isn't mentioning it either, but I am pretty sure that it had discounts in the past. Because I remember staring at it, wondering if it's worth buying it.

So why wouldn't they basically just make a more ergonomic Xbox 360 style pad with a track ball instead of an analog stick. Maybe even throw some buttons on the back so you're not having to take your fingers off the ball to jump or open doors and shit.

?
That's literally what they did except it's not a retarded track ball

There actually are buttons on the back, but the problem is that you can't have it both ways. They had to pick one of the following: Good with gamepad games/completely unusable with M/KB games (there are already a ton of gamepads like this), or average with gamepad games/average with M/KB games (there was no controller that did this), so they went with the latter to go after the HTPC niche, which is something they've been promoting, and also why they created the Steam Link and started that SteamBox bullshit.

Stop shilling this fucking piece of shit

trackballs are far superior to trackpads and in fact superior to mice as well. they offer all the benefits of mice (namely, absolute directional input) while having extra benefits like not having to move the sensor around, and being able to free-spin them. there's a learning curve, but you didn't know how to use a mouse or analog the first time you grabbed one, either.

trackpads are one of the worst possible input devices for gaming. they have all of the downsides of a mouse and all of the downsides of an analog stick, their singular advantage is that they could report multiple inputs simultaneously but the shitty trackpads on the steampad can't even do that.

I do have a keyboard and a mouse, a xbox 360 controller, so the steam controller seems to be a decent addition. The only problem I have with it so far is that it looks like cheap trash. It looks like it shouldn't cost more than 19€.

Just check out the controller in this review youtube.com/watch?v=rBhIyUhAxCs shit looks cheap as fuck. But as pointed out before, they are really decent for playing on couch. The xbox 360 controller for example doesn't work that well. Can't even use that shit on your desktop.

a friend bought me one. I made a legitimate attmept to use it for almost 3 whole months. it is shit. I put it down and it has sat on the shelf in favor of an Xbox One controller, keyboard/mouse, or arcade stick for every game. there is no usecase where it is the best option

Subjective.

I've recently bought a laptop with a good trackpad and if it didn't have input or positioning problems I would it for games that don't require precision most of the time.

Trackballs are weird and unintuitive. Trackpads being closer to standard controllers means that people will be able to use them more naturally for games instead of having to learn a completely new input method that most have never tried before.

It was discounted a bunch of times during the sales n shit.

WHY ARE HALF THE THREADS FUCKING UP WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT SAGE FOR OFFTOPIC

dude, you read like a valve marketer. how much are they paying you? anyway, assuming you're legit, buy one and then come back and tell us how much it fucking sucks. because it sucks ass

trackballs are so far and away superior to trackpads that the steam controller's trackpads literally emulate trackballs. they do a shit job of it too, there is nothing intuitive about a trackpad at the end of your thumb and there is no reason the controller needed to have two trackpads; an analog, an 8-way d-pad (SEGA style), a trackball, and a button cluster (with six fucking buttons you goddamn ignorant niggers) would have been the perfect assortment of inputs AND THEY EVEN HAD A PROTOTYPE THAT LOOKED THIS WAY but they scrapped it because they felt it wasn't versatile enough

You read like someone whos from halfchan or something

Right, I'm sure this is the only time you've said this

what about city builders? Have you ever tried playing with a keyboard and mouse on the couch? It#s awkward as hell.

Nice shill meme shill bastard kill self

I've been doing it since the 90s. I was having L AN parties before TCP/IP was a thing in games' network functionality. the answer is: use a trackball. better precision and you don't have to slide around a hunk of plastic to put the cursor where you want it. reduced chance of RSI too.

or if you insist on using a mouse, get off your lazy fucking ass and make yourself a lapdesk (pic related) you ignorant anal slut

alternatively, stop playing games on shitty TVs and mount a computer monitor within arm's reach of your couch using a swing-arm.

Not doing the job, you still have to put it down on a flat surface.
what if I want to play while lying down? The steam controller is obviously not the right option for you, but that doesn't mean it's bad for everyone else.

how the fuck are you gonna use a game controller laying down?

you can play very comfortably resting a trackball on your leg. I've done it for hundreds if not thousands of hours.

picture didn't go for some reason

I got one for $14.85 at a sale at gamestop, figure in the price it would have been additionally for shipping, it's a pretty good deal.
Point of advice for anyone playing a FPS game with this. Turn the fucking gyroscope on, it makes aiming so much better.

You have a choice faggot. A good Controller, or a mouse and keyboard. The Steam Controller is utter shit and you should feel shame for considering it.

Nigger what, no you don't. Besides, there's only one trackball worth using, and you can use it without even having it rest on anything.

No the trackpad is complete trash and made of cheap plastic, don't get yourself meme'd into buying one. It's cheaply made, feels horrible and is completely overpriced. It should tell you something that only Reddit is shilling this trash.

I wouldn't even try to replace mouse and keyboard. As in the video posted above by me, it's the perfect solution if you like sitting like a retard on your couch. I like sitting upside down on my couch, which makes even easier games like city builders a pain in the ass. And those games that cannot be played with a controller can be played now.

Also it doesn't work without Steam.

pic is how I was using my trackball at this exact moment. Comfy as hell.

So why are you posting a picture of that Logitech piece of shit, rather than just reposting the pic of

The M570 would be decent, if it were functional, but I've owned two and each time the bluetooth receiver completely shit itself and refused to function within a year. It's apparently a well known issue, and one which Logitech has so far refused to fix in later revisions.

You know, I think the only reason why trackballs haven't become standard in controllers is because of retards. They can't be trusted to not loose the ball (and thus render their controller inoperable) within six months. Which wouldn't be a problem since they could make bank selling replacement balls, but the moment someone's kid or dog finds the fucking thing under the couch chokes to death on it - then that'll be a major lawsuit. You can't fit a ball large enough to not be a choking hazard on a controller without completely fucking up it's ergonomics.

I've got one and can confirm that the trackpad is utter shit.
Whether that's because it's made of cheap plastic, poor positioning or because it's operated by a thumb, it's hard to tell, but honestly, I prefer using a thumbstick because it always pulls to centre, informing me where my thumb is and what way I need to move. The trackpads have haptic feedback to a point, vibrating at certain points as you pass over them, plus the small rings do seem to help a little, but the fact that if you are still you can't tell where you are on the pad if your thumb is still deters me from using it. As well as this, it does have a "roll" feature, where if you move your thumb quickly over it, it keeps moving similar to rolling a ball mouse (one of those weird ones where your hand actually rests on the ball). While I actually like the microswitch bumpers and paddles, the two-stage triggers are too soft and the buttons are too squishy.

All in all, if I could get it to work outside of Steam, I'm sure I could find a way to use it, but for games it's inferior to both the KB+M and the Gamepad.

Is it just me or does Luke look like he'll give great hugs?

What the fuck does this mean

Fuck all of you who thinks this shit is only for "autistis". I hope you all know this is a disorder, and it cannot be cured. Millions of people suffer this disorder. I actually did. I was bullied. People called me Retard, shoved me, and did other hurtful shit. If you have done the same to autistics in the slightest, I hope you die by fire. Imagine being him. Imagine punching yourself 100 times a day, but you can't control it. How would you feel? Would you want people making fun of you? No, right? So, don't fucking do it to him. I've suffered long enough through bullying. It hurts. I know he doesn't understand it, but that gives you absolutely no right to bombard him with mean comments. If you take pleasure by attacking the disabled, then you are an awful person, and need serious help.

Actually, very few people with autism are suffering, and it's a managable disease that can be treated and "cured" into higher functioning members of society
The kicker?
Low function Autists fucking hate it because they are basically too fucked to function because they weren't accepted.
Lol Autism Awareness

huh?

…Are we being raided by Tumblr?

its the best midi instrument you 'tismo

Is this a pasta?

Fuck off shill

bump exclusively to make you mad

Quality bait. I'm saving this for later

Best bet get a Xbone one controller.

What's with all the shilling for this madcatz tier trash lately?
Gabe not make enough neo shekels this summer sale?

Xbox One S Controller
Xbox One Controller
or a Xbox One X controller?
Yes, All three are different.

Hey just wanted to drop in and say that this controller is garbage, and you should only buy it if you're extremely desperate to play on the couch. I have extreme buyers remorse and wish to save other user from my fate

Nobody has worked around that yet? Must be an issue of hardly nobody giving a shit about it.

I've heard it's not really great at being a controller and not a very good substitute for kbm. Just like most things trying to hit a middle ground.

If that's the wireless one never buy it, I had two shit the bed on me within a month. Logitech has gone to absolute shit.

It's the TF2 Soldier of peripheral hardware.

And they're also worthless for most single player FPS games

Nigger, what are you talking about? They explicitly showcased Cities: Skylines as well as Civ for it. It works fine. Nothing will ever truly replace KB+M, but it's the best alternative when you want couch gaming.

So I ended up buying a Steam controller this morning.
It's pretty good, surprisingly enough.

It took me like 15 minutes to understand the backward ass interface of Big Picture and how to get the user-made configs for each game working, but as soon as that was done I didn't have any other problems.

So far I have only tested the controller with FEAR, and I'm very surprised how actually playable it is. Not quite as good as a mouse and keyboard, but pretty damn close once you get used to the controller itself.

I'm fairly happy about it, just wish it didn't use fucking AA batteries.

I was talking about the Xbone controller and the DS4, neither of which are supported by the games I mentioned.
Did you misunderstand my post?

Get some rechargable double As.
They're fucking nice.

My main complaint is that I still need to take them out to charge them, I hate doing that shit.
I'd rather have a battery that lasts 1/4th of the time that I can just plug in whenever I need it

Thing even works with New Vegas
that's fucking impressive

Yeah, I guess that is kind of a downside, although, and I could be remembering this wrong, doesn't some controller out there have the ability to recharge rechargable double As if they're in the controller? I vaguely remember reading that somewhere.

Never heard of this, wouldn't it be dangerous?

No idea, I'm not an electrician.

Since this is a controller thread of sorts…

Is there any controller that uses materials/pieces that are actually of good/decent-quality?
To me it seems that everything is just… cheap chinese junk and all money gets you is "futuristic"-looking crap which likely wont last longer than your standard xbox-controller but hey.. it looks cool… sort off?
i just want a sturdy basic controller that will have all it's buttons working well for atleast 3-5~ years…

The cool Xbone controller was supposed to do that, but they had massive problems at launch.
Honestly I've had a DS3 controller since the PS3 came out and it's still working, even after a dog mauled it. It seems pretty sturdy to me.

Not as far as I know of, but some controllers you can order compatible replacement parts online, that got me like 5 more years on my 6 Button Genesis controller.

Never understood the whole point of controllers. The only thing they're "better" at (and that's completely debatable) is racing games.
Literally every other genre in existence is superior with M+K. They're cancerous for third person shooters too - because like the name suggests - they are SHOOTERS. And shooting anything with a controller is clunky and horrible.

But then again, if you're not a teenager or a wagecuck working on a fast food restaurant - then you should have the money to get yourself some proper Racing Wheel that completely blasts the controllers away.

Get a desktop chair that doesn't suck, retard.

Damn dude you're cool

Thanks

Yeah, i remember checking it out in detail on internets and even on stores a few months ago and it just felt and seemed like a slightly "better" standard xbox-controller. Like instead of made in China it would be step-up and made in… Bangladesh? sort of.

Turns out they made them in botswana

Apparently I did. My bad, bro. Have some tits as apology.

The Steam Controller is bretty good. Fucking agreed on the AA batteries, though. Rechargeables are okay, but I'd honestly prefer they'd have gone with some proprietary battery/charger or some shit.

That reminds me, are there standard rechargable LiON batteries yet?

Not yet. That's been the biggest complaint about them (if the forums are anything to go by).

Everything else about the controller is great, but the battery decision was a really shitty one.

i like the steam controller but the problem is if you forget what key input is what in certain games you're kinda fucked since the config menu doesn't change the names of buttons

Yes.

Don't think I didn't notice, user.

???
my steam controller is rechargeable
is yours not?

All racing controllers are shit, even the wheels.
M+KB is especially shit.

The ideal racing controller has never been made.
-Force feedback analog slider on left side
-Standard 4 buttons on right side
-2 analog triggers with force feedback on right side only
-single button under left grip like steam controller

Imagine a game where the braking trigger lets you feel when the brakes begin to lock or just begin to engage.
Imagine a game where you can feel the throttle.
Imagine a game where you have proper steering feedback.

It wouldn't even need to be an autism racer.

Oh boy, I love having four directional inputs I can press at the same time because I only play shooters and strategy games at my desktop like the adult gamer that I am. Fucking console cucks with their kid shit don't know what real video games are.

Good for shooters, not as versatile for FGs, sports, and racing games.

The Xbox One controller already does this to an extent, where the triggers vibrate to inform you when your brakes are locking or your wheelspinning.

Yeah, no. They aren't.
Platformers, nigga. Keyboard SUCKS for platformers, and especially any 2D game that calls for more than four buttons. This is why fightfags use arcade sticks, not keyboards.

Pretty much the only thing it'd be lacking is a sense of momentum - and even then, that could be accomplished if you had a nice large open lot which basically let you drive any track within the size parameters.

Keyboard is fantastic for platformers. Being able to instantly correct my jump by pressing a key (due to having fingers on 3 movement keys all at the same time) instead of shifting my thumb is a godsend in this genre. I've beaten every classic 2D platformer through emulation with a keyboard and preferred using it to a controller.

How so? This doesn't make any sense.

One of the best UMK 3 players uses a keyboard. It's basically a Hitbox just with smaller keys and those were actually banned from many tournaments for being too good.

Confirmed retard. D-pads sit on a ball joint for a reason, faggot. You rest your thumb at the middle and rock it in any direction.

Also, nice (((spacing))).

But shifting your thumb takes so much time and effort compared to using most of your hand to individually press each direction straight down.

And what if you need to go two opposite directions at once?

Dumbass.

Nice projecting, kiddo. All of your posts in this thread have been absolute dogshit. Get good opinions and then you can post on my board again.

Are you even trying?

>shilling for (((Steam))) controller
Never once did I say Buy the official Microsoft Xbox Controller, now only $59.99", faggot. I recommended user get one that is compatible with the system, which means it is instantly supported by Windows. By by all means keep projecting while you shill away for Gaben's hunk of shit.

This cuckchan shit is getting ridiculous.

FUCK STEAM AND EVERYTHING RELATED TO IT

None of my fucking subscribed mods download. Ever.

How do you recharge it?

With rechargeable AA batteries
:^)

You you could, you know, use VR.

Shame sc-controller only works on Linux. It would be nice to be able to use this controller without Steam installed on Windows too.

I rate this post butthurt/10. Don't pretend The DS4 doesn't have its own set of flaws, and what are you going to do when that battery dies?

Does on Linux, see The developer is interested in getting working on Windows at some point too.

This is a good point. What are we supposed to do when the batteries die in our Xbone and PS3/4 controllers?

It uses AA batteries, user. You'd just get new ones.

I only have a DS4, I thought the Xbone also had an internal battery. My mistake.

No.

Amazon does pretty extreme price cuts on the controller + link bundle. Just not right now.

I'm better with a controller than I am with a KB+M

Practice. The same amount of time it takes to get good with a controller can make you even better with a keyboard and mouse.

Steam added support for these controllers.
You can now remap them
But, for a media PC or general use get the steam controller.
It will be better when playing mouse games.

Nothing is ever going to come close to a mouse and keyboard you are familiar with but if you can get it under 50 shekels then it's not the worst buy since there is something VERY comfy about playing relaxing m+kb games on this thing.
So this is the power of the jew…

It is now

Its really comfy.
Rests in the palm perfectly.