Why is everything so fucking gray?

Why is everything so fucking gray?
Does it have anything to do with the Bloodborne engine, bad use of lightning, or was it their conscious artistic decision to make everything gray to be more in line with everything being brown in western games like CoD?
The old games weren't like that. They had a dark depressing atmosphere without resorting to monochrome colors.

Other urls found in this thread:

enchroma.com/test/instructions/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Its the same thing with the 3 games, all look like that but in a diferent color, DaS was yellow

Making everything ugly, boring and monotone in a game series that was known for the diversity of environments to "align the game with its theme" is an awful idea.
Is there any mod to fix the colors?

At a guess: since the literal translation of "gray" in Japanese is "ash-colored," they decided to not fix their shitty lighting engine and pretend it was intentional.

What are you talking about?
Dark Souls 1 had pretty diverse environments, from the shit filled sewer in the Depths to the beautiful cathedral inspired architecture in Anor Londo, to even lava ridden places and snowy landscapes.

Hey man, Dark Souls 2 is the reason his waifu isn't real.

It's a shit game in a shit series.

Anor Londo was yellowish, but there was plenty of variety of colors in the game otherwise.
Even in a same area, like Blighttown, you had different parts with different color tonalities, one being more greenish and the other being more yellow.

There's no purple though.

Literally the only place in the entire game they use the color purple is Beatrice's set.

Ever seen Madworld. Everything in this game is black, white, and red.

The bush monsters and Seath used a bit of purple

There's at least a high contrast between black, white and red in that screenshot.
Everything blurs together in DS3 with everything being gray.

That's more gray than purple and as far as I'm aware Seath is a big spiky ball with three tentacles coming out because that's all you see during the fight.

Ash is gray.

Yeah I never liked the camera in these games.
My biggest gripe with it is how inconsistent it is. The games are so obsessed with not letting the camera clip with walls that you get really fucked when you run up to a wall and the camera gets in your face and you don't see your surroundings, or an enemy you're locked on to runs to a wall, or the enemy is too big and locking on to it results in you not understanding what the fuck is going on (like it happened to me with Centipede Demon).

Yeah, I'll take the grays, thanks.

Why is everything so fucking gay?

enchroma.com/test/instructions/

Autistic kids don't understand thematic visual choices. They just complain that it isn't realistic. It's not supposed to be, it's an artistic choice to convey a certain theme.

You try to program a better camera. Clipping through walls ruins the immersion of the game and makes it look like shit. You don't feel like you're IN the world if you have constant reminders that there is nothing actually beyond that wall but a black void.

People who don't know anything about how video games are made should shut the fuck up about video games.

there's an option in the options menu to minimize that effect, it's called some dumb shit like "camera auto wall recovery"

if you leave it on, running over to get the firekeeper soul in new londo and running up the ledge to get to the cathedral in anor londo are certain death traps most of the time because the camera turns and will pop you off the ledge, but it's easy if you turn it off since you'll just run in a straight line

Function is more important than aesthetics.

Three of those are DS3 and the first one is only an enemy attack. Attack particles barely count.

I only had a problem with it in 1 and 3. DeS and 2 let you toggle between parts of something's body so that you don't get blinded.

I never said this.
I want contrast and variety of colors. Realism sucks for videogames.

I prefer clipping over not seeing what the fuck is going on and having the camera move strangely for no reason. Being able to actually see the boss and play the game with no obstructions is better than having to fight the camera for some aesthetic reason.
DS2 had some moments where they made an object between you and the camera transparent (right now I remember an instance with a ladder in Drangleic Castle) , I don't know why they don't do that with most walls.

What do you mean?

And knowledge is more important than conjecture.

There is nothing "functional" about a vibrant color pallet.

In fact use of the full spectrum of colors leads to visual noise.

Reducing the spectrum of colors allows you to place emphasis on key objects like characters, items, or weak-points.

It can also be used to obscure enemies and hidden paths so that only the truly observant (ie the people who play the game the right way) notice secret areas and traps along the way.

This picture has a "purple" tone about it. It's utility is to look "spooky" because that is the feeling associated with the color purple.

Dark Souls 3's utility in using a greyer pallet is to convey a sense of dismay and provide a contrast to the later more fantasical and colorful areas in the game.

It's about contrast. The boreal valley wouldn't be as beautiful if you just came off a beach. But you didn't come out of a beach, you came out of the shitty ass catacombs.

It's utility is in it's thematic effect. It's not my fault you don't know about color theory

Get gud son.

The hell are you saying? I was talking about how having a good camera is more important than immersion.

Oh. Well for that I only slightly disagree. I think it's just as important, but again programming that shit is really hard, ie time consuming so it ends up not being a priority in the dev process.

It's a shame, but not really a deal breaker.

You can lock onto the Last Giant's torso, left leg, or right leg. You can lock onto the Adjudicator's gut or head. You can lock onto Tower knight's body, head, left ankle, or right ankle, YET FOR SOME REASON THEY DIDN'T DO THAT FOR TOWER KNIGHT'S SHITTY REHASH IN DS1 SO LOCKING ON AT ALL IN THAT FIGHT JUST FUCKS YOU OVER.

This was such a nice feature. Being unable to lock onto an enemy because a single fucking twig was between the camera and the enemy's center of mass (not between the player and the enemy) was so stupid. Being blinded by trees several feet above you while locked on was dumb. DS2 automatically detecting objects and enemies blocking camera and making them see-through instead of fucking up the camera in some dumbass way that prevents you from seeing what the fuck you were doing was such a good feature.

Oh christ here comes the "GEARS OF WAR BROWNENBLOOM IS TOTALLY GOOD VISUAL DESIGN YOU GUUYYSSSS" fags

Oh christ here comes the LOOK AT ME IM SILLY GUY

Have an argument, you fucking pussy.

OHHHHH right, that was an awesome feature. You're right.

I have to admit I've never seen someone (outside of baiting) try so hard with his posts that he writes so much after misinterpreting a post.

Spamming brown and bloom everywhere, on everything, on all enemies, items, and areas, is fucking visually boring as fuck.

I'm like 90% sure it's the fucking BR that shits up every souls thread.

I didn't misinterpret anything.

The first post in the thread is literally about what I went on about.

Aesthetics have a very real function, and to say otherwise is fucking stupid. So i explained the function.

You did

I AM SILLY. PLEASE DISREGARD EVERYTHING I SAY BASED ON THIS POSTERS ACCUSATIONS.