Mega Maker and Romhacks in General

Let's also talk about romhacks and probably custom level makers in general, have you used any? have you made something interesting? why is Metroid Rogue Dawn so fucking hard even with a map?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!8hUnEBRQ!asn347kx1YDFszbiSlQz-ZuzzpR8HTyDo73Dz-BMqMA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I tried both making gba Pokemon hacks back in the day, and it was a fucking impossible mess just to change pallettes.

So I then tried modding the source code for Pokemon crystal, but it turns out you can't add anything to it because it has crazy memory restrictions and the one person that managed to bypass them won't tell anyone how he did it. Also there's no fucking documentation anywhere.

The Pokemon romhacking scene is trash

Long ago I wanted to start a GBA Pokemon project that basically just optimized the games for nuzlocke by giving you access to more pokemon per route while still being restricted to what was originally available in the game (basically giving you the old rod right from Viridian City for example.)

I also tested some scripts where I would enable the event pokemon flags and allow you to battle the event exclusive pokemon and also reset the legendaries by completing some small sidequests, sadly I got into other stuff and I abandoned the project.

I was also aiming to literally allow these romhacks to activate event stuff if used with a flashcard and link cable with the original games.

haydee has a level editor built in-game, which im fooling around with.

but we can't talk about that game here

filtered

Why exactly? I wanted to make mods, never messed with the level editor but the game is kind of bad to begin with, no amount of shilling will change that.

I've made a level editor for the Japanese version of Lunar Pool (The NES game with wacky tables).

Furry.

why what?

I'm the map guy for a hack of FE8. I'll shill it a little if you want.
I also enjoy fiddling with Fire Emblem portraits sometimes. Pic two or three and I'll try to splice them

Why you are not allowed to talk about Haydee?

That's a lot of portraits.

Because some dedicated autists will zero in on the thread and shriek about meme games, shills, some sob-story about how the game was never once popular and Holla Forums haets it. It's the same with Undertale, Overwatch, anything that gets too popular too quickly and causes a scant few autists to immediately conflate its userbase with the game itself and go on a tyrannical crusade against a boogeyman that exists only in their head.

You're making a what?

This new mario maker is pretty damn good stuff. Now all we need is Sonic Maker and Kirby Maker.

I see, well, I wanted an excuse to talk about Mega Maker a little more but even then, if we end up talking about Haydee I don't think we would be talking about anything but the level design.

Too bad it still lacks a lot of content, is kind of puzzling that not even the included bosses have their weapons available for playing, not all at least.

i dont intend to talk about haydee, i just mentioned because it has a level creating tool.

Mark cowtows to dumbfucks enough as it is because he wants , report 'em for thread derails if you see 'em.

The lack of content available for Mega Maker is somewhat puzzling considering the simplicity of a lot of the bosses' AI patterns + their weaponry. I imagine there'll be content updates down the line but in its own way it's more limited in scope even than the Mario Maker it's paying homage to.

Right now is only bug fixing and optimizing updates, as mentioned above, 1.0.2 broke more things than what they fixed.

Shit, meant "wants to please everybody" but apparently only part of it went through.

Hopefully they get their shit together before too long.

Are other level editors in general okay to talk about? I know of SMBX and that Redigit abandoned it quite some time ago due to some Nintendo copyright claim on the SMBX website name, but there has been a couple of unofficial updates for it.
SMBX 38A (more commonly known as SMBX 1.4.X) is a chinese bootleg of SMBX and its developer has that big of an ego and who keeps development of SMBX 38A closed source because he thinks only his code is worthy enough for its updates.
SMBX 2.0 looks like it is attempting to make SMBX more open source through PGE and LunaLua tools, but it is being developed by the SMBX forum community, so make of that what you will.

Well, 1.0.3 is out, time to test it, will share my level after I upload it.

Anything really, specially if you have some experience with them.

Sonic Fans have been tapping into the autism force for so long they've become a horrid mess. But in the process it has led them to make some insane stuff with just romhacking alone.

Sonic 3 Complete is pretty much the definitve version of Sonic 3 and Knuckles and I get a kick out of playing it.

Pana der Hejhog is pretty great for a cute short demo. As well as Sonic the Next Level which I had trouble processing was a genesis hack. Sonic VR if you like some neat challenges that test your knowledge of the engine.

OK, Mega Maker players can check my level if they feel like it.

ID: 43170
ITS FULL OF METAL GEARS
Metal Man Stage
Difficulty: Easy (by today's standards anyway)

A full story hack of Fire Emblem 8. I'm doing maps for it. It's pretty neat if you're into the series or ROMhacking in general since its using a bunch other mods that turn it into a much different beast mechanically. Well, not uber different, but it's definitely got a lot more going for it than vanilla FE8, which might as well be a mode of the other two GBA games on its surface.

For you

Posting SMB1 Remodeler
mega.nz/#!8hUnEBRQ!asn347kx1YDFszbiSlQz-ZuzzpR8HTyDo73Dz-BMqMA

This was a Japanese-developed tool for nip romhackers to fuck around with a bunch of the settings for Mario 1, and it's been in use for about 7 years, but didn't get a comprehensive translation until about 6 days ago. It's good if you don't want to have to hex edit that shit manually.

Are there any complete SMB1 mods with custom items and shit? I figured there would be but past searches haven't really given me much?

yes and yes

not telling you what or shilling for it though. i abandoned it and left it to the e-wolves. sorry, fanbase.

BUT ANYWAY

I really wish Mega Maker was versatile enough for me to actually make that Megaman X game I've wanted to make for a long time, but it's not. For years I've wanted to make a Megaman X metroidvania. Boss weapons and capsule upgrades and armor chips and ride armors to access new areas, having a huge single map, slowly trying to maze your way towards Sigma at the heart of the fortress, a shitload of mavericks instead of just 8, stuff like that.

I looked that up and it was fucking top stuff, and the guy who programmed it claimed to have whipped it up within a few months because he didn't have a homebrew port/demake of Chu Chu Rocket done in time for a hacking contest.

Closest I can think of on the top of my head is Super Mario Unlimited. There was Extra Mario Bros, which had a ton of upgrades, but that was trying to be a Metroid game in the Mario 1 engine, and it did reasonably well, honestly.

Tried it out, it was alright. I got an interesting bug by accident though where I got stuck after getting hit.

How did you get that bug?

I started to slide when the met that was on the platform above fell down and hit me, the belt moved me to the right while I was in the damage animation and got me stuck there.

That's weird, getting hit while sliding inside gaps should not trigger stun animation.

Haven't really made any levels in SMBX yet, but I assume it would be simple to do. Have been playing some episode called "The Restoration," and it was just okay. Didn't like how almost every level is some variation of "cavern-like area with trees hanging from the ceiling".

I wonder why the design was always like that, I mean, maybe the limitations or something? pic unrelated, this way I made Metal Man a little more challenging.

Posted this level in the old thread was hopping to get some feedback.

my username is pure cancer :^)
ID: 33080
branching paths
Difficulty: Classic Standard

Wanted to make it harder but needed to remove enemies to reduce lag due to the length of the level with branching paths.

I personally really enjoy when people make sold classic mega man levels. This was fun. The boss fight was the best part. Good thing I avoided using any weapon energy because with just the mega buster that fight was made much harder due to the sage layout. I could see the fight getting frustrating if I had ran out of Crash Booms.

His primary weakness isn't crash bombs though.

oh because they worked way better then Rolling Cutter because its easier to hit him, and because it did more damage if he stood in the explosion. I also keep forgetting about the charge buster. Its very comfy level.

Even as a secondary weakness I didn't expect it to be that effective, but making charge kick the main one proved to be too risky and not fun at all.

Will check it later.

OK, played part of your level, sorry but is shitty trial and error gameplay, not a fan.

OK, tried your level, didn't like it, too many cheap shots.

damn that's a bit harsh. Its honestly not designed to be "trial and error gameplay" its just basic Megaman. No gimmicks. Honest question should I add some more checkpoints or health? I wanted the level to feel rewarding, maybe I was a bit too stingy with the checkpoints. Here is a video. What part was a cheap shot?

So did the last update fix the issues the OP talked about?

Sorry fir the harsh words but it felt like that with the teleports, did you ever see what happened when you failed to move after a teleport? because you get trapped into an endless stunlock and die pretty fast, yes, it needs more checkpoints, I would say use a checkpoint for every 7-10 screens depending on your level size.

Video 1, after the gachapon, floating enemies with teleports, if you don't know where to go after the first teleport and get hit you get stunlocked, then in the area with the spikes you give no room for error while touching the spikes.

Yes.

Just to elaborate you have to introduce your gimmicks gradually, for example, put your teleports as an optional path in a screen or two, put an item for motivation, then the next time use the teleports to advance BUT don't put too many hazards at first, you have to gradually allow the player to hone their skills while playing your level.

New level: Clinical Trials
ID: 46205
Webm showing off some of the level.
It has one really tricky section near the end but I was much more generous with checkpoints this time.

yes, but that is the puzzle/challenge of the room and you are not stun locked to death, after about three hits you can proceed (see mp4) and the Upper path is just a enemy gantlet, and the drop is an easy spike wall. Maybe I ought to leave some heath along the way so if you do get caught in that first TP you will be in better shape to get to the first Checkpoint.

The level was meant to be very hard, but it ended up only being moderate. It was actually much harder at first but I hit a sprite limit and the game started chugging to a crawl. I had to essentially cut the level in half. After I toned it down I was shooting for Wily Castle difficulty. But you are probably right that first TP room is a bit harsh.

As I said, you need to be a little forgiving on your first puzzles, otherwise people will literally move onto the next level and never bother with yours again, the drop onto spikes is literally trial and error, you don't have any room for error in that one, don't fall into the usual cheap difficulty trends, you are supposed to challenge players fair and square, better for them to touch spikes in a careless attempt to move into the "right direction" rather than to stay in a neutral position at the beginning.

I will upload another level later, it will be a Plant Man stage, sadly there are not many enemies to choose from but I will try to fit the theme, the basic layout is already done, I only need to place enemies and items.

First video looks a little better in terms of challenge, not sure if you can go for no-damage runs or no items run but seems to be the case, well done.

I think you are being a bit hyperbolic
That one is a tougher rough but it rewards you with an additional checkpoint and is much shorter and if done right you will not take any damage. The other rough is easier but it punishes you by forcing you to tank some damage and does not give you the additional checkpoint. The "spike drop" gimmick is a Megaman Classic, it makes me almost assuming you have never played a Mega Man game before? The game traditionally is meant to be some degree of Trial and Error. And now with unlimited lives it even trivializes the challenges even more. If there was a way to set lives to only 3 then the balance of the stage would need to be more forgiving. Are you honestly suggest that you quit after your first try? I just replayed the level the alternate rough with minimal deaths, its honestly not that hard.

Just because the actual games are comprised of trial and error doesn't make it good design. Also, the word you're looking for is route not rough.

Did not make this level but beat it. Damn good challenge great use of Spikes. Toad Man has never been this difficult. It was beautiful.

good design is a meme. Kids these days! Can't even beat the first level of Super Mario brothers.
ah yes

And it is always made gradually, not instantly punishing, not sure how many of the classic ones you have played.

Don't give me the "kids these days" when you seem to be too inclined to go the kaizo route, replay the old games and see what we mean.

Where can I find some documentation or explanations on MegaMaker? I have no idea what any of these objects do. Some simple pop-up tooltips would've been great here, because placing them one by one then trying to see what they do is tedious.
I used to make games in Knytt Stories Plus a while ago. Good times.

Did you go through the tutorial.

Of course I did buddy.
No worries, I'll just place things to figure out what they do.

Mega Maker is geared towards people who've been playing the games for quite some time and can at least hazard a guess as to which stage-hazards or enemies do what, but yeha to new players or newly-interested parties it should provide a quick tooltip. I'm assuming it's doing the same thing as Mario Maker where you've been playing the things for a long time so you already know what does what, and if you don't you can just dump them in a test-level to see how they behave.

The tutorial is pretty well made.

In that case I would also recommend people to read a mega man wiki.