This is literally artificial difficulty: The Game

This might just be the worst game I have played in years.

Git gud

try darkest dungeon, a game so artificially difficult that any time a player finds and talks about a new strategy that yields good results the developers patch it out, add bullshit that you have to deal with but the enemies don't, or otherwise just fuck the players because lmao its supposed 2 b impossible n your guys are supposed 2 die :^)

>>>/reddit/

Nothing you mentioned is artificial difficulty unless the pitfalls are literally random and unavoidable.

The real difficulty is bashing your head against the wall over and over again until you eventually get a different result.

Acquire Proficiency

Literally all difficulty in any videogame is artificial difficulty because videogames do not naturally occur in the wild. With semantics out of the way, I actually think there's no problem with the controls or the attack range, I like the very deliberate jumping with the extreme distinction between stationary and running jumps and the startup on the whip animation. I admit I'm not autistic enough to enjoy all the puzzles though, I cleared like four or five bosses and got up to the mantras and just gave up.

The controls are that way on purpose because it's supposed to be like an MSX game.

You mean those sour grapes pics were lying to me?

No it's not; it's La-Mulana. Can't you read?

07 09 14 07 15 04 21

I thought we left this terrible meme back on cuckchan.

I don't play games to beat them anymore

I play games to help me forget about this life I've given up on.

Artificial Difficulty = Unreasonable Difficulty. Also you definitely have autism.

not an argument

Charity, Kindness, Charity, Charity, Kindness, Charity, Kindness, Kindness, the endless sound of waves.

Neither is anything you posted in the OP.

Your argument:

His argument:

What a waste of dubs.

not an argument

not an argument

not an argument

Artificial difficulty isnt "unreasonable", its shit like intentionally lying to the player, rubberband ai, anything that punishes the player for what was previously correct, ai being able to see things the player can't, etc.

Since OP is just a baitwhore or actually certifiably retarded, let's just talk about this game and ignore his sperg ass.

Did you ever get stuck and got help to clear La Mulana? If you did, was it from a guide or a friend? I needed help three times overall. The Gate of Illusion two paths puzzle, the snake in the Chamber of Birth where i could have sworn I did the right thing but I must have missed the place, and the puzzle of the gemstones. I spent many hours on each but couldn't quite get those, but somehow the mantras just fell into my lap.
Tell me your stories, Holla Forums

I used a guide for everything and the game was still full of artificial difficulty

read

not an argument

What artificial difficulty? Explain or just reveal that you're a low effort baitposter
Or other anons can come in and share la mulana stories, ahich I think is infinitely more fun

While I enjoy the intentionally misleading geometry of Gate of Illusion, the third path in the remake is a little bullshit because while it mixes it up from the original, it only signals its location once
I've always done the algebra for the gemstones puzzle.
I can also appreciate how elegant the mantras puzzle is.
I do remember a playthrough where I forgot how to get whatever's in the room past the collapsing wall in Chamber of Birth, with the spike ceiling

For the gemstones I wanted to solve it, but I realized that the hints were everywhere and I couldn't remember where they all were, is there a place I can find all those hints to puzzle it out now that I've long forgotten the solution?

not an argument

I vaguely remember not being able to figure out how the mantra puzzle worked. Just gave up and spammed mantras in every single room till it worked.
Didn't figure out the gemstone puzzle, either.

Here's a (You)

I wish I could remember how I figured out the mantras again, I think I just kept flipping the field in my mind til it worked.
Doing the numbers puzzle was really fun though, going through each area trying to figure out which children inhabited it so I could match that to the number rune outside

Yes but once you have the information theres still an insightful trick to it that you must figure out

user that isn't an argument.

I used a guide many times when I had spent an hour of two trying things and had no idea what to do or where to go, then I'd read what's the next step. I still haven't beaten it, I got to Baphomet and couldn't beat him, soon after my laptop died and I didn't have any backup saves so I'm not sure if I want to do it all again.

The game's difficulty is always artificial.
Your poor skills are always natural.

From the original or the remake?
I have my notes from the original, but I'd have to look for those from the remake

I also might have just used the in-game message saving and done the algebra on scratch paper without saving it.

Have you ever been so shit at games, that you feel compelled to create useless threads to justify your repated loss?

Maybe back when I was underage.
Nowadays I just sit back and accept how bad I am at games, and laugh at people who are even worse.

What the fuck does artificial difficulty even mean? Just buffing damage and health?

just the usual whining over nothing

I mean, it got a reply

Artificial difficulty isn't a very good term. A more appropriate way of saying it would be the illusion of difficulty. A game that is not difficult to understand, but take away enough input from the player to make it meaningless.

Shit thread, on topic, today 8ch has been nuking my laptop. First time its happened to me.

It looks like a picture of La-Mulana to me.

Artificial difficulty describes a situation where it would be impossible for a player to get through unscathed (what constitutes this depends on context) regardless of the players skill or reflexes, or getting through requires information that the player would have no way of knowing without external sources.
For example, imagine one of those spike drops in megaman. After falling for 2 screens or so, you land on a small safe spot in the middle of a fork and have to decide to go left or right. The left side progresses as normal, but the right side ends abruptly in a spike covered floor that you have to way or surviving. No amount of player skill could prevent this death, and the only thing that could we be to know the correct path ahead of time. This is an example of bad game design.
However, retards who can't play games for shit often use artificial difficulty as an excuse for themselves either being too dumb to notice hints or queues that give them the information needed or due to lacking the skill and reflexes required.

I think that is poor way of looking at it because than you could just say that all RPG's are "artificially difficult", as higher level enemies with have higher health and higher damage but if playing the game properly so will you by the time you reach them.

I think the concept of fairness is better to evaluate difficulty. I have always associated tedium with shitty difficulty.

Artificial Difficulty is misused a lot by people who are ignorant and stupid but it is an actual term that can be used to describe situations. The incorrect definition is not being able to solve the puzzle because the player did not notice the solution shown in the background. The correct definition is a combination of mechanics that punish a player beyond fair play. A difficult screen in a platformer that is repeated without variation or a trial and error puzzle with punishment for failure are the two most prominent examples that come to mind. Elongation of a scene without presenting additional challenge or otherwise requiring outside context information is what I'd call the best definition. The illusion of difficulty is more suited to describe a situation without difficulty that pretends to be difficult. Since the advent of let's plays and general uptick in personalities (((playing))) video games for the internet we're seeing more and more retards being exposed for the ignorant savages they are, and the legions of slavering buffoons excusing their behavior with "muh fake difficulty" explains how the term became the popular excuse it is today.

That's the situation where the phrase "artificial difficulty" makes sense, where the game was made harder, but in a way that was very artificial.

Surely a better term could be coined for when games throw unforeshadowed death traps at the player, or when a boss stops being hard once the player figures out what they need to do? (Which is really just games treating their challenges as more like puzzles).

That is not artificial difficulty, it's lazy difficulty. There's a very distinct difference.

I need to organize my image folder again, it took me way too long to get these.

Many rpgs, and other games with rpg elements do employ the illusion of difficulty a lot. This has more to do with bad design though than an inherent flaw.

keep a notebook and have at least an average IQ
you'll get better at it if you practice, don't expect instant gratification like some fucking millennial
"why doesn't metroid start with all of the upgrades, mommy?"
nothing is random. be observant and stop running around like a child.

This bait was pretty tasty.

not an argument

I think going through a high level WoW dungeon without the proper gear is a great example of artificial difficulty.

The devs literally stated they designed the game so that people would come together and collaborate on how to solve puzzles because a handful of puzzles are legitimate bullshit