Did MGS 1 & 2 actually have good stories or do I just have rose tinted glasses...

Did MGS 1 & 2 actually have good stories or do I just have rose tinted glasses? MGS 4 & 5 were such a hodgepodge mess of melodrama, retcons, fanservice and back patting, I have to wonder if Kojima ever had any idea what he was doing in the first place. Even Snake Eater started showing signs of the narrative taking a complete dive downhill, and it's only lauded mostly for its gameplay. Would the originals actually hold up if I replayed them as an older person, or, like when I tried to re-watch Cowboy Bebop, would it just turn out to be laughable, cringeworthy shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Retcon
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No not really, it's a convoluted mess where characters have to infodump constantly. It was charming the first time, got tired later.

Good ideas, bad execution.

Elaborate?

MGS 1 and 2 did not have to shove child soldiers or people getting raped down your throat to show you that something serious was going on.

metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Retcon

MGS1 is excusable, as most people didn't know anything about the series at that point, but after MGS3 you can see there are many more examples.

Christ, I forgot how badly MGS4 fucked it up.

True, possibly due to the fact that this game has more cutscenes than gameplay.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but there is no other game cutscene in the world that is longer than the one where Liquid disables the weapons of all the guys he has been surrounded by.

He just ripped off every western movie he liked

No, they were silly and autistic.

Glad someone picked up my idea to bait Holla Forums by saying slightly negative things about it's untouchable sacred cow MGS, Now Pokémon is next.

Good is debatable. It's B-movie trash, but it's thoroughly enjoyable B-movie trash.

Everyone knows that Gamefreak are inept and always at least ten years behind the times.

Above average for vidya.
But that's not much considering most "stories" for vidy could've been writen by a child on a napkin and still be hailed as the best that has ever been.

Some of these aren't technically retcons. And some of them are actually false

The only good story was in MG and MG2SS

An autistic creature collection game with terrible turn based combat?

Like undertale.

MGS went to shit after 3 to be honest.

When Capcom shut down Kojima nothing was lost.

I mean Konami Jesus alcohol does it again.

If Undertale is so badly written why does everyone love the characters? Checkmate atheists.

Homosexual furries are a very loud fanbase. And skyrim was very popular, was it well written?

I'm finally playing through the series. I am currently playing the first game and I have to say, the story is really good. It's basically like a competent writer decided to write a cheesy spy flick while still trying to tackle serious dilemmas. So on one hand you have a political thriller with some fairly realistic conspiracy going on in the background, on the other you fight soldier-shamans, psychics and cyborg ninjas and scientists that got into science to create anime mechas. It doesn't treat itself too seriously, it has some nice humor sprinkled in and the overall cheese in incredibly charming.

I'm really enjoying it.

Because Kojima is George Lucas. He is a idea guy and his filter was Fukushima. After MGS3 he left and Kojima became surrounded by Yes Men.

4 was meh but 5 this is where my autism got trigger when it came to the loose story.

MGS2 is the same but with even more harrowing conspiracy stuff (which all became true since 2001) and MGS3 goes full James Bond cheese. The train wreck begins with MGS4 and Portable Ops.

Who does fukushima work for now? If he made an mgs game with another person similar to kojima, think it'd be good?

No, because on man alone cant make good games, he is part of the team.

Muh nigga, MG1 was a fantastic game.

Rosetinted glasses

Fukushima's not the secret architect behind Metal Gear you seem to think he is. He's another yes man. He wrote the supplementary material

Whatchu gonna do about it nerd?

I always thought the appeal of these games was the story/characters/mindfucks. Now when that comes into question people are shilling the fucking garbage gameplay.

Except prequel trilogy is objectively better than original trilogy, faggot.

Jack's entire backstory is that he was a child soldier

I loved all of them. Not sure why Holla Forums decided it's hip to dislike Kojima and MGS

I liked MGS1, 2 and 3.

Sometimes an artist just fucking loses it. And didn't Kojima just hate his own creation?

I know your feelings. I love Fallout 4.

Because V was so bad it ended Kojimbo being a sacred cow. The funny thing is, 1-4 are actually very good video games (the actual game part of 4 is almost as long as 3, and adds a ton of great changes like octocamo), but a lot of the problems got free passes.

1 was a cheesy action flick in video game form and from a Japanese perspective
2 was dedicated to setting up and then subverting the audience's expectations
They're remembered for their subversion of what it means to produce a video game sequel, and possibly the social commentary that is made about one's own ability to perceive reality, separate the meaningful pieces of information from the chaos, and pass forth those valuable bits of information to later generations.

I love these in-depth analysis videos, thanks for sharing this.

Didn't Ocelot rape Meryl if you don't give in to the torture?

Hahahah, no.

I don't know either ;(((

Its autistic anime tier, which is why Holla Forums likes it so much I guess. He kind of seems unsure of himself as he has good mature themes in the games but then melodrama, cheesy lines, homoeroticism etc. kind of kill the message.

I think the best way to describe Kojima's writing is jack of all trades, master of none. He wants his goofy over the top cartoon stuff, but he also wants philosophy and politics. He can blend it all together very well but the end result is something that comes short of all its goals.

Though MGS4 was such a lazy hack job because he wanted to kill the franchise for good. He would have succeeded if he didn't do PW which further bogs the story down with more waste. 4 would have been the end and he could have moved onto something else.

>>>Holla Forums

Could Kojima be another case of inflated ego faggot who wants to take someone else's credit?
Like Keiji Inafune and (((Neil Kikemann)))?

we have to see with death stranding tbh fam. But from what I've seen Kojima is more or less making a Danish movie from the 2 teasers. He might have swollen cheap Tuborg beer the wrong way.

Can't be, after all japs are too honorabru for that.

Criticism doesn't mean you hate something. Nothing is perfect.(U+200B was here)

MGS1 to 3 I loved. MGS4 had some decent moments but it was so fucking boring. Not because of the cutscenes, but because the gameplay took a huge hit from Act 3 onwards. The stalking mission is really lame. Even if it is new to MGS, it's something that's been done in other games before (arguably better). Then it repeats the bike section from MGS3, which is my least favourite part of said game.

While the entire game is a nostalgia trip, Act 4 just dials it up so much, that while it was neat the first time, the mini robots themselves aren't a fun enemy to deal with. Not that they're difficult, but it's either full on guns blazing or crawling really slowly. Rex and Ray fight is pretty dumb since Ray is designed to take out Metal Gears and Rex is still damaged like fuck. Not to mention that Ocelot/Liquid (whatever the fuck) has had experience piloting this thing many times before and it's the first time Snake is known to use one. I'd gotten used to overlooking dumb things in the series but that part just rubbed me the wrong way the first time I played it. It's not a great fight either.

Act 5 is another retread of Arsenal Gear. Which would have been okay if it was more fleshed out. Two small areas and then you're at the Psycho Mantis knock off? For the finale of MGS, it's really fucking weak.

I enjoyed the game, I like the cutscenes where shit's happening (Ocelot's handgun is actually one of my favourite parts) but it does have glaring flaws outside of cutscenes. Act 1 and 2 offer some of the best gameplay in the entire series, but it's sullied with the BS that takes place from halfway onwards.

It's been a while since I played, but these are the main bad impressions I had with the game that I've had since my first playthrough.

PW, I can't bash on really, since I played through it once and just left it. While I can't think of anything I disliked about it, I can't really recall much that I liked either. I did play it on PSP first (dropped) but then played it through on PS3 as well with the HD edition. I remember not liking the boss fights, mainly because they were just robots but then the boss characters had been pretty weak since 3 with some exceptions, so it was probably a good idea to make them robots.

V is just a slog. It seems neat at first but the open world and not a great deal to see in it just wears you down. Best part of that was Ground Zeroes, by far.

When Kojima decided he wanted to dote on his creator's pet, forego just about any and all plot relevancy and coherency, and have complete and total say with no real input from anyone else in spite of being an absolute mega autist to the fucking max you get fans that have fucking had it with the hack.

Good by video game standards.

You're gonna like MGS2. Don't spoil yourself for it.

Not good then.

Which ones?

I'm pretty sure it's not the story that people love about metal gear but the characters. The closest to real story discussion in this series is timeline of events and how meta metal gear solid 2 was.

1 sucks both from a gameplay and story perspective and people only like it because of nostalgia. Stealth gameplay was done way better at the time with Tenchu and Thief, which are still fun today, while MGS1 is a slog with only 20 enemies in the entire game. Its also the originator of the cinematic cancer that eats up AAA gaming nowadays, so if you complain about games not having enough gameplay, MGS is the originator of that.
MGS 2 and 3 are way smarter and better games overall, with better gameplay and interesting stories. Then 4 was just a big fanservice episode without any substance, and V was a empty shell of a game that was more of a side story than PW was.

MGS1 did. MGS2 had one amazingly prescient meme speech but the rest of the story was pure fucking cancer that lead to the downfall of the whole Metal Gear universe. It's got some entertaining moments, most of them unintentional, but it's a trainwreck that's best avoided unless you're a sick fuck who enjoys watching lore get raped and killed.

I think the strength of 1 & 2 are their characters and their voice acting , especially the enemies that always invoked strong emotions in me. Foxhound & Deadcell were great.
Then in 3 all the cobras did was autisticly screech their name at me, the game relied on the strength of the Boss.
4 is then even worse with monkey nigger giving poorly delivered lore dumps on the B&B Corp posthumous. All the characters were happy go lucky allies & liquid.
5 is utter shit with what 4 characters? Miller, ocelot, quiet and skull face. And bar 2-3 cutscenes there's nothing of substance. Even the recordings were severely lacking.

MGS1 feels better because it was more localized than being a direct translation. Kojima didn't like his work sounding more real and human so had future games be more direct with the English scripts.

Really makes you think

Nobody is missing the point. I'm just disappointed that mongs still think such belabored and on the nose meta commentary was worthy of praise.

It's cuz you dumb boy. Dumb as hell

For mgsfags that's very clever

lel

It was executed so fucking badly. Everything besides the speech at the end was just obvious basic bitch meta commentary, but Kojimbo thought it was all so clever and thought provoking. A shitload of the storyline was an intentional rehash of MGS1 and the excuse was "don't worry that's just part of the point we're making lol".

The more time passes the more it sinks in how shitty MGS2 really was.

That MGS2 is the exact same game as MGS1 except with a literal queer as the player character?

It's funny watching kojimadrones make the same low effort arguments and shitposts that they only got away with before because half the board would mindlessly co-sign to them but now the tide has turned and the poor fags are just so lost and confused.

Hating on Kojimu: cool and righteous since 2001

Aren't almost all the things they tell you in the game outright lies to make you feel like you're a special little snowflake?

More like "no refunds, goy" meets "stop being defined by what you like and start making your own thing" (at least that's the whole point of Snake's final remarks) and "NUKS R BADD PART 2"

If MGS2 had done a good job conveying its points it wouldn't have had to bluntly spell them all out in speeches at the end. It's pretty fucking sad what a missed opportunity that whole game was.

DarksydePhil was right.

i love the new epic "x was never good" meme its pretty funny

Or Anti-Kojima fags are all retards mad at Kojima because they're too dumb to play his games.

He's a George Lucas-tier autist who fell ass backwards into greatness because other, less autistic nips kept him on a tight leash and filtered out his bad ideas. The less you filter him the more cancer he produces, and if you remove the filter entirely he produces turbocancer

Okay Phil.

Okay Kojima.

>>>Holla Forums

If you want to be DSP, an actual retard e-begging, and let me be Kojima, a wealthy game maker who can make whatever he wants. Fuck man, I'll take that any day.

>>>Holla Forums795932

I'm pretty sure Kojima has severe depression, user

Makes sense really. He is a movie director after all

He really was a child soldier though. That's the entire point

MGS4 was trash.
I still haven't played V and probably never will.

I think MGS1,2, and 3 are great because they have solid endings.

Everything post 3 is actually shit though. I'm not very far into 5 to be honest but it's alright so far, I'd prefer specific levels over the open world though