Fallout 2 overrated

Why is this so acclaimed? I see Fallout 2 on almost every single essential or recommended chart, but the gameplay and writing pales in comparison to 1 and NV. NV is probably better because they had years to refine the ideas from Van Buren, instead of being rushed in less than a year like 2.

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20050724002233/http://www.static-thegame.com:80/
gamedeveloper.digitalmedianet.com/article/Static-Named-Top-Ten-Finalist-in-the-Fourth-Annual-Independent-Games-Festival-8584
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Avellone's entire career is a story of rushed games and studio meddling, but the unfinished and unfocused writing in Fallout 2 should really become obvious when compared to Planescape, which has the best story in any video game to date.

i'm with you OP. fallout 2 is pretty weak compared to virtually any of the other good fallout titles, especially when you factor in the awful opening

T A C T I C S

A

C

T

I

C

S

Because it's not 3.

>__ is overrated
You're a fucking cancer. Delete this thread and comeback when you're not a knuckle dragging mouth-breather who can back up his words with anything other than "it's not as good" without any level of specification, you faggot.

It's fantastic for 3-4 playthroughs. The setting is bizzare and the dialogue is so comedic and full of farce, yet not vain or pointless. After beating it for the 5th time, the excitement will extremely wear off though, but it's fantastic while it lasts. Those who have played it too much will hate it, but those who recently found themselves immersed by it will love it.

Yeah, it's pretty much really flawed. It didn't improve upon anything from FO1 meaningfully, the game that was already flawed, it only added more substance. Literally quantity over quality, but it's somehow the most fun.

NV is worse. It missed the point of FO1 and 2 and turned it into some kinda 80's really cheesy b-movie scifi about faction warfare kind of thing, yet shamelessly still tries to be sophomoric. Probably the worst, most overrated entry in the Fallout series, IMO even worse than the Bethesda games and Tactics.

Sorry that one sentence didn't count as a master's thesis. The combat is tedious as fuck and only rewarding a few times in the entire game when you're blasting away people's guts without the turn-based combat getting in the way of taking 20 seconds just for some guy to walk up to you. The weapon variation is too far too great and some weapons are useless before you even find them. The GECK is supposed to be a MacGuffin but there's no real sense of weight like in 1 where there's the timer. The Enclave are barely part of the story and world, and would have been an interesting concept if it were more prevalent in the game. Frank Horrigan is a cool boss but you see him literally once in the entire game before you forget about his existence. The depth of character customization is lost in 2 due to long stretches of boring backtracking and battles that are too long to make any decisions really meaningful. The only major differences in gameplay your stats can influence are lowering your intelligence to speak like a retard, or maxing out speech to avoid combat sometimes, but it has little impact because there's still the main game to get through. The music is fantastic, Mark Morgan comes through in Planescape as well, but it's mostly recycled music from Fallout 1. The artstyle is pretty dull due to way too many different settings and setpieces, and lacks the grit from 1. The UI is slightly improved, and isn't as tedious as some people make it out to be. The writing in general is supposed to connect all the different locations together, but it's not well-executed enough, and each town becomes a blur. That's all I can think of for now. Seriously, though, the game really could have used more Enclave.

I really only like NV because of the replayability with the factions, but you have to project what you want onto the game due to all the rushed and cut content. It tried to be a middleground between darker Fallout 1 stuff with beheadings etc. and sillier Fallout 2 stuff with the Old World Blues stuff, which worked sometimes and was a little cringeworthy otherwise. On that note, the NV DLC is usually considered really good, I thought it was bad for the most part. Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road in particular are pretty bad.

Nice arguments, why don't you defend your precious nostalgia and maybe inspire others to appreciate it anew instead of throwing around ad hominem and greentext

They made that mod in 5 months you retard.

This, Planescape is on the same level as a bargain bin romance novel, while all other video games have fanfiction-tier storylines.

FO1 > FO 1.5 > FO2

A lot of the ideas and concepts from Van Buren made it into New Vegas years later. Hoover Dam, New Canaan, Caesar's Legion, Boulder Dome, Powder Gangers. Some of the ideas in Van Buren were pretty shit and they were dropped for good reason for New Vegas years later.

If you actually read about Van Buren you realize that shitall made it to NV or made it in name only, like Graham.

Wow, I never saw this. I remember rpg codex threads about Fallout 3 expecting it to be either the worst or best game ever made, with really autistic people on both sides. Did Avellone post anything else like this?

Honestly, NV doesn't even know what it wants to be. The lead writer of NV and his sidekick are people who never worked on any of the Fallout games before. The other writer was Chris, whose contribution to the writing of FO2 was the memes. Apart from some of the improvements on the gameplay mechanics from FO3, I think NV was a horrible game.

Also, I actually hated every single DLC for NV. The only Fallout DLC I've ever liked is Point Lookout.

Not that I know of.

This guy made some videos about VB, see how much of it fits with NV.

Found this one.

Is he autistic?

Good video, thanks.

You can also find Tim Cain's posts if you're into older gay dudes.

Bait thread

Fallout 2 had more of everything from Fallout 1. It also had gameplay improvements such as a more refined economy where you couldn't buy some of the best equipment two hours into the game like in 1, or removing those fucking retarded 300 damage instakill crits that made endgame combat in 1 absolutely unbearable. Fallout 1 is a really short game as well, you an beat it in ten hours, Fallout 2 is at least three times longer. Yes 1 was more focused and has a much more interesting villain, but 2 took the worldbuilding and quest design of 1 and expanded on it.

Also I will take a proper RPG character system any day over the consolized style New Vegas unfortunately inherited from Fallout 3.

Holy shit, how can you be so wrong in one post.
Wrong, FO2 is bigger but is filled with pop culture references, theme park towns and some very questionable design, as was noted by MCA.
You absolutely could, especially if you went into gambling.
On top of that, you could BUY gauss rifles, plasma rifles and even power armors.
lmoa, fo2 didn't remove those crits.
FO2 is still a great rpg but it shat on so many things 1 did right.

This is bait.

no he likes hamburgers

Fuck off reddit.

Why buy power armor when you can go directly from the starting village to Navarro and steal the best one right at level 1?

Post counterexamples that F2 had scaled down.

grit

turn-based combat

You are a retard. Here's the simple truth:
Everything I don't like is overrated.
Everything I do like is underrated.

Seeing talk about the old Fallout games makes me wish Static was released. It was an independent Fallout clone about a guy with some antenna device stuck in his neck.

web.archive.org/web/20050724002233/http://www.static-thegame.com:80/

This is when independent games actually had talented people making games.

gamedeveloper.digitalmedianet.com/article/Static-Named-Top-Ten-Finalist-in-the-Fourth-Annual-Independent-Games-Festival-8584

SPACE OUT YOUR FUCKING POINTS. WALLS OF TEXT ARE VISUALLY ANNOYING.

none of the fallout games are good and the "best" wrpgs are about as good as modern jrpgs like neptunia

Except when they were working on Fallout 3, right?

What will it take for either the BO or his useless volunteers to actually do their fucking jobs and put a stop to this viral marketing ?