What a trash

still hailed as GOTC

Is it just because its anime themed that this game gets a pass because of good music and art? Darksiders 2 was the same and it got shit on.

Darksiders 2 is considered better than the first one not to mention its a completely different game from Persona.
What the fuck are you even talking about?

Darksiders 2 has social links?

Here's your (You)

post chens

That tends to happen with weebish games. Any game with girls that have rainbow colored hair and one of the 5 or 6 set in stone personalities is an instant GOATYAY because muh waifu of the month. Also obligatory

You shouldn't post when you are drunk user, it makes your shitposts non-coherent.

If they change their waifu every month then they were casuals anyway.

ok

I don't really follow, but I hated Darksiders 2 and OP hated Persona 1 so I guess we can hate them together now.

End your miserable existence

Oh look it's the I hate anime shitpost thread like we don't have this thread enough times a week.

why is it that so many anons act like they can't be flustered but as soon as i post something mean about your favorite cute anime girl you turn into weak sisters?

Wait a sec, was there even social part in Persona 1? Wasn't it straightforward dungeon crawler/JRPG?
OP is probably talking about P3-5, in which case he's more than right.

I can be your weak sister user.

There isn't social aspects to 1 or 2.
Maybe he does, the problem is that he doesn't specify and hasn't tried to specify after the fact.

hey bb you want sum fuk?

No I think he's trying to say Darksiders 2 had just as good story/setting, but the gameplay was ass.
Which persona 1 had a good story/setting, but the gameplay was ass. Which is still a weird comparison but I think that's where he's coming from. Persona 2 was the same shit, god damn the combat and RNG outcome to rumors was fucking awful

Okay, okay I'll bite

Nigger have you played Persona 2? It doesn't have social links and is superior to any other game in the series.

Persona 3 was alright, haven't played the rest

anons, don't put more effort into figuring out what OP was trying to say than he did.
Here, OP, here's a picture you can use if you figure out which Persona you are talking about.

What you taking bout, Willis? Being able to change every party members persona and the combos was pretty sweet and added some depth that was badly needed. The persona mutation system was fun and the RNG for some of the rumor demons was annoying but nothing like you are making it out to be.

Dunno about remake, but vanilla P2 combat was pretty ass, especially compared to actually good JRPGs like BOF4 or Valkyrie Profile.
P2 was only carried by ost and characters.

Whatever you say, lad.

It was super generic combat, and it boiled down to spam combo attacks as those were all that really mattered damage wise. The persona affinity made basically zero sense as multiple people started off with personas they had poor affinity with and god forbid the game tells you what it does.
Not to mention the card nonsense

Animations were slow, there was no reason to use normal attacks, positioning was not a thing and menus were a pain in the ass.
Fuck you.

ITT: butthurt weebs

Yes I meant 3-5, aka modern ones

still hailed as GOTC

Is it just because its anime themed that this game gets a pass because of good music and art? Mass Effect: Andromeda was the same and it got shit on.

oh, well congratulations, you have an opinion shared by a lot of people and not by others. i suggest you create an account on NeoGAF and blog about your middle-of-the-road opinions there.

I fail to see how you could be that incompetent at understanding affinities when you had jacked up magic costs for personal that were poor matches and every starting persona was high affinity for the characters. You never were dependant on combos if you could build any kind of persona synergy among your group. I'm beginning to think you are just bad at this point.

Animations were slow no argument there but you could turn them off by pressing start during battle. More than a few demons were immune to magic so normal attacks were needed at times and menus were pretty standard fare for jrpg of that time. Did you even play it or are you just shitpostin half remembered complaints from other threads?

dunno about that since it seems the 3-5 is popular here and all around internet in vast numbers of people.

Witcher 3 is also shit tho

I beat it like 10 years ago or something.
I clearly remember it being pain in the ass.

Name me a game that doesn't have repetetive combat.

Dark Souls.

Persona 1 is a bad game.

Just play P5 or P2

they're the two best.

lol

If only it had a harem route it would be worth something, but alas, it panders to normalfags.

The only people who like harems are shitskins and dudebros.

I'm saying it's a bad system because it's so poorly explained to the player and the only way to do it was once again, by blind trial and error. Just like reloading to get certain rumor outcomes or a majority of the combo skills that completely broke the game

monogamy is for cucks.

It's like you are too autistic to grasp the concept of wish fulfillment. Go fap to your Sonic fanart, adults are talking.

So anyone with testosterone?

I'm honestly baffled by this. It's not like they are writing high brow art, why not allow the protagonist to catch them all?

So this is how far Holla Forums has fallen.

nips are weird.

t. lolicon

It's somehow my fault you're a homosexual now?

what makes P5 better than 4/3? seems to me its the same school/tactical part as 4 just in new graphics.

P1 > P2: IS = P2: EP

EP is much more user friendly but IS gets bonus hitler points.

Rest are trash.

That's not wrong though.

Andromeda waifus looked like inbreds.

These fucking normalfags will be the death of me.

"replayability"

How the fuck p1 is better than P2?

So make the harem route only unlockable after you beat all the other routes. What's the fucking point of pandering if you stop halfway through? Do the moon gooks enjoy getting blueballed?

i guess you could call me a PS2-era babby, because i can't get into the old persona/SMT games.

the oldest SMT i can handle is nocturne.

P2 grossly simplified the combat until it was boring.

Removed positioning, removed the gun/melee choice, constrained your persona choices to ones with combo moves you needed, and so on.

Setting up combos just wasn't as fun as having five tactical decisions, instead your were choosing the plan for the entire party at once. "Maha Sukukaja formation!" etc.

Listen, no one is trying to suggest the nipnops are sensible reasonable people governed by logic. Im just giving you their reasoning for their silly bullshit.

I started Persona 3 a while ago because a friend of mine was like "GAME OF THE CENTURY EMULATE IT NOW! XD". And while I like the social links and the whole comfy Highschool Sim stuff, the gameplay fucking sucks ass. The combat is horrible even by JRPG standards and it only gets worse the longer the game goes on. The constant travelling between locations gets annoying really fast and could have easily been replaced with a menu since nothing happens during your travels. Also the music started to really get on my nerves after the first 5 hours. I think Persona really is only overrated Weeb trash that gets a free pass because of "muh waifu" and "I want to protect her smile :333333"

but user i like the BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY EEEEEEEAAAAAAEEEEEAAAEEE

The gameplay is actually more interesting in the moment to moment, but Persona 2's story and cast blows it out of the water so thoroughly I'd still rate P2 higher than P1.

Play Persona 2.

It's just not for you, user. Move on.

exactly same case here.

All three of P1/P2 are decent games, I'm just a fan of old school first-person dungeon crawlers, so P1 will always have that for me.

I don't really consider plot, since Persona has always had a consistently strong enough story/cast, even among the modern ones. The game part of it just tends to get shittier and shittier.

Persona is absolute traesh; it can't even get its mythology right (Persona 3's tarot cards are laughable).
Play SMT if you want the good shit. SMT 1 and 2 are SNES first person dungeon crawlers and are very much comfy and playable however they're a bit dense and hard to get into.
SMT 3 is hands down one of the best RPG's on the ps2 if not one of the best in the Ps2 era. From there you can branch out into the spin off's like the Raidou games or Strange Journey.
Don't play anything lacking Kaneko's art style it is all GAWBAGE and TRAESH. SMT IV is shit and there is nothing that can fix it.

dating sim part is what bring in the normalfags and most importantly money and you cant have difficult or complex games for masses.

There are people who unironically believe that spamming weaknesses is gameplay, user. Thats all you need to know

Why not both?

Play the portable version. It fixes the combat by letting you chose what your party does, makes social links affect battles, and changes the out of dungeon walking into a 2D menu type thing. The only downside is that everything besides the dungeons are in a VN stye, meaning no anime cutscenes. It also comes with a non cannon girl MC if you want to see some of the story play out in a different way.

Glancing at the title, I thought this was going to be just another thread of some pleb shitting on the PSP's best game. But it seems you were just talking about Hashino's works, so OK.

Indeed, that's the cancer that ruined the series.

you wanna source me on that skelly girl comic?

Looks like Ame no Uzume is more popular on Twitter than most female demons. Glad to see that.

But Alice is still in the lead by far. Damn lolicons.

Okay, how does this battle system work?

You select your attacks and target(s), then your guys attack said target(s).

Gameplay wise, 5 is better.
It's more polished
dungeons are actual dungeons not randomized stages with same track and layout.
OST is vastly better in 5
5 is like Paper Mario with eight chapters and there you have it, while 3 and 4 suffer from being more Visual novels with RPG elements than video games.

is persona5 worth a ps4? always wanted to play this series but im a xfaggot and Nintendo fag so ive never tried them out.

Also Baton Pass, sacrifices, confidant perks, more content overall.
The series still has cancer, but at least now there's a little chemotherapy going on.

The fact people continue to delude themselves with the idea that typical JRPG combat is good and deserves to be a focus of games is beyond me. I appreciate Persona for trying to be something different rather than another failed attempt at improving on Nocturne and with the loss of Kaneko's art what does SMT even have left?

I still fail to understand what Darksiders has to do with any of this. But this shit is just bait at the end of the day.

You can play an equivalent version on PS3.

This man has the right opinion.

citation needed. the first one didn't have you picking up new gear every minute that was better than your current equipment. it was Borderlands - the third person action game

Going by what he's said, it doesn't sound like he's got a PS3 either. Or any Sony system, really. You're right though, for whatever reason, Atlus has kept on making good on releasing games that were on multiple systems in Japan on multiple systems here in the west as well, like Persona 5 and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir.

It's on the PS3 as well, even out here in the west. And if you're asking if it's worth getting a PS4 just for it, no, but that has less to do with Persona 5, and more to do with the fact that it's never worth buying a system for just a single game of interest (and "promise" of more worthwhile games in the future).

Or you can emulate the PS3 version if you're ready for the issues that come with that currently.

Oh look it's the waifu loser like we don't have enough of them.

I think he means that both games have cool art and ost but the rest is meh, not really the best example.
maybe he picked darksiders since it was bit comix themed.

wait, so you can already emulate ps3 games? I thought emulation for that was still shit since ps2 one is still not 100% great.

You can finish the game without any stupid workaround, but if you don't have a good CPU (read Haswell/Ryzen, Skylake and Kaby Lake are actually much slower because intel a shit) you're gonna have to deal with pretty terrible framerates and even with that it doesn't run like it does on a PS3 (battles run ok but other sections of the game are closer to 15-20fps.

There's also a bunch of other games that work surprisingly well (Okami HD, Ridge Racer 7, Catherine) but most don't.

are you still spamming weaknesses and having to grind like maniac?

You are truly the high king of confusion

also did they add new personas in there. They did not seemed that interesting before.

I didn't know Francis E Dec researched pagans as well.

You don't really grind or have to grind in P5 outside of the last dungeon for unlocking all personas for new game+
Attacking enemy weakness has always been part of the SMT meta. So is buffing and debuffing, and fusing personas covering weaknesses. I don't know why you single-out Persona because mainline is also like this, and there's nothing wrong with the press-turn system.

But still, the best SMT game is and always will be Jack Bros

these are pretty much ancient now

I mean as its with Fallout 3 being first fallout for current generation of players so is the P3 or even later the P4

Persona doesn't have the press turn system though.

If you don't like anime don't play it you stupid fag.

jrpgs are all trash

you can like anime and not like anime games.

Why do people like that pile of shit anyway?

its LN with waifus

jesus christ can they be anymore obvious?

Funny, I know a couple fags that are buttmad over the new one. There's a scene in one of the social parts where some ultra-fags start trying to drag one of your friends off. In another scene they try it again at the beach, said character is not pleased.

new one has rape in it so of course they are butthurt

not really gay flag since it has dark purple at top instead of bottom.

If you don't like turn based gameplay because you think it's boring that's fine, but you should just let turn based games be turn based games. Look at what happened to Final Fantasy, it turned into Kingdom Hearts because everyone cried that turn based isn't good anymore. Now people who still like the genre still have SMT and Persona and you're still trying to take that away from them.

Sadly, turn based gameplay is becoming a thing of the past due to the much simpler minded average gamer.

The was once a point in time when knowledge based difficulty was considered fun. The challenge of probing a system/trial, detecting the underlying patterns, devising a counter strategy, and ultimately executing on it (and potentially failing and starting the process over again) is something that people no longer derive entertainment from. These days, if a gamer is unable to immediately see the answer to the present challenge, they'll forego even trying to understand the system and just look up a guide for the answer.

The problem also is with the developers who haven't been able to make anything more complex since the advancement from Final Fantasy's "hit them with your strongest attack and heal when necessary" to SMT's "hit their weaknesses, avoid their resistances, buff/debuff when necessary, find time to heal, and pray that the stars don't align and kill you in one turn". The SMT style has been the most complex turn based combat we've had for the last 10 years or so.

They're the series' theme colours in order, obviously.

I was thinking about this the other day actually. There's a few obvious ways to prevent that (miss/parry chance increases when you repeat moves) and a few that could make games explode complexity-wise (status effects/enemy states are a factor on all abilities, and certain ones can combine). The former could seem a bit less shit if you had a BoF or SaGa style combo system to go with it, wherein you have to keep changing up your combos to avoid the boss "learning" your sequence (and then counterattacking on parries or something similar as punishment), but you'd still want to get a good chain going for solid damage

It also might help to limit healing items/spells, though there are a few games that already do this

That main reason alone is why I really don't understand how anyone could consistently die in most FF games constantly when you can turn every fight into a battle of attrition by constantly healing yourself. I have no incentive to kill an enemy quickly because I don't have to worry about resources.

For example, the last boss in Demon Gaze has a nasty regeneration skill when you get to the final phase. Offensive wise, he isn't that scary but he keeps buffing his evasion and lowering your accuracy. If you don't stop him with debuffs and buffing yourself, it will be impossible to kill him.

Then there's the final boss in Dragon Quest VI. In DQ, you mainly have to rely on spells for healing and MP is a resource that's not easy to replenish. The first form is made to wipe you if you don't have multiheal, the second form is designed to waste your MP because he keeps buffing his defense to elongate the fight. And the last form is where you burn all your MP to kill him as fast as possible. It's designed so that he has 3 different parts where they can heal and revive whatever part dies so you need to destroy nearly all of them near the same time. And to make matters worst, he's at his strongest when all parts are out. And if you don't kill him fast enough, he'll get desperate and magic burst (strongest AOE spell in the game that sacrifices all MP), recharge all his MP, and magic burst again and again until you die.

You don't get many good bosses like that in most RPGs with turn based combat.

JRPG turnbased combat is becoming a thing of the bast, rightfully so.

4X and tactical stuff like X-Com will remain turnbased.

Turnbased JRPGs deserve to die, they've been nothing but grindfests at worst and fillers at best.
I've yet to play a turnbased JRPG where the gameplay was actually anything but mindless or tedious, and I've been in this hobby since 1996.

JRPGs never required any kind of thought when it came to the combat, it was always just "hit the enemy with what they're weak against, and heal your party when needed." while also being terribly boring and repetitive.
They didn't innovate, didn't fix those problems or do anything new, so it truly deserves to die

Calling JPRGs grindfest is the equivalent of calling fighting games button mashers. Especially when JRPGs have actually been pretty easy for the most part for decades to the point where grinding shouldn't be an option if you play properly.

A good final boss should be hard, test all the aspects learned in the game (in your case healing and survival, buffing and debuffing, and pure damage output in that order, all while managing MP, which tests how well you built your characters) and some other 3rd thing because these lists always have a 3rd thing.

One of the best final bosses I ever fought had to be the Doom Dragon from Golden Sun 2. The dude had shitloads of health that you had to grind through, so you had to cut it out with the expensive magic and just survive with your best collected artifact weapons, while conserving your Djinn for hard moments instead of spamming them for summons, since he had so much HP you could NOT afford to do big attacks or you'd risk yourself getting weak at the wrong moment when he throws out his "FUCK YOU" Cruel Ruin attack, which you needed to buff for, and you needed the huge boost in stats a large amount of Djinn would get you in order to take it in stride.

So the boss tests you on many levels, it fucks you if you skip Djinn, it fucks you for sub par equipment, it fucks you for failing to play the MP managment game, it fucks you for not using status boosts your Djinn shields and effects, it fucks you for relying on summons like a newbie would have for much of the game, it fucks you for failing to learn how the game works by being a casual.

That's a fucking final boss.

And the superboss has to be unfair as fucking shit, because once you beat the game, it basically tells you to find exploits to beat the game further, to beat Dullahan, and you CANNOT play the same game you did with the Doom Dragon, because how you fight him is to spam the shit out of summons (specifically only certain ones that you might have overlooked) on some and deal with the aftermath with the ones that didn't spam by being fucking smart and sussing out what you have to do by sheer trial and error, with perserverance to overcome a terrifying foe, to never give up and to stab at the bastard at every angle.
UNTIL
YOU
WIN

This is what made me love games as a kid. It was a challenge to my fucking soul.

Basically, a final boss should be a "fair" test, and a superboss should be a test that requires that you excel or die.

None of this watered down shit where final bosses are only KIND of hard, if the player is invested in the game enough to get to the final stage, you fucking give him a hard time because he came here to beat your escalating challenges, not pussyfoot around with the story.

I never did beat Doom Dragon as a kid. I don't know what I did wrong but I triggered something that would consistently make him use Cruel Ruin when low on health. Then I watch a video where Doom Dragon didn't go fucking apeshit when he was low on health like he did for me. I'm guessing it's a trigger I activated. Like how Entreant from Etrian Odyssey will spam his most powerful move over and over if you buff yourself too much. A boss in Dungeon Travelers 2 would do the same thing. So maybe the same can happen with Doom Dragon. Or I was supposed to summon spam once he got to low health to finish him off?

Also the Djinn system was a pretty cool mechanic. Sacrificing your stats and moveset to either use a unique skill or powerful summon. Too bad summons were too powerful to the point they made most fights a joke.

Why do jap games so often have shit like cooking/fishing/meal making minigames?

lmoa, turn based is more popular now than it was, say, 5-10 years ago.
Nuxcoms, Xenonauts, Divinities, Battletech, Shadowruns, Wasteland 2, Underrail and more.

And you people try to claim you're not paranoid.

Because the japanese have no connection to actual life, living in tiny boxes and exclusively living off conveyor belt food.

What's the cancer part? The dating sim?

What a fucking accomplishment.

That's an insult to KH. I played the demo. At least in KH the motion is fun. That demo was like wading through fucking water. There was no impact to anything as if they didn't take basic fucking animation lessons and the combat was slow as shit. Both games have shit stories, but KH at least has an autistically convoluted plot to follow.

Because they're fun?
Are you aware you're being redundant?

yes, seems like this said, its to be as replacement for actual rl stuff and maybe grind too since those japs are so used to being workdrones.

At the lowest possible level (no gimmicks, no mechanical tricks, no exploits), turn based combat is just boring as shit. There needs to be a large amount of thought put into that style of gameplay to make it tolerable. So much that it's easier to make an entertaining product by dressing up the graphics, plot and character interactions instead. How many turn-based boss battles be truly considered "skill testing?" The enemy needs to be unique, interesting, and dangerous, but it also needs and exploitable weakness that doesn't boil down to "attack it until it dies."

Level-up mechanics are even worse. Giving players the option to breeze through tense moments in exchange for hours upon hours of grinding is just bad game design. Hell, most random encounters are rendered completely non-threatening by natural progression.

People call them grindfests not because they encounter challenging shit and fix it by grinding easier enemies until they're overleveled, but because they feel the main progression is grinding, as in JRPGs you usually just mash away your most powerful skills, kill all the trash that requires no thought and you're done.

If you boil anything down to it's base components you get boring shit. The point behind good turn based systems is that you're making tough decisions, managing resources throughout a "dungeon" and experimenting. These extra systems on top of "I hit it with my sword" aren't gimmicks, they're core mechanics, and they are to RPGs what movement and gunplay systems are for FPS'

Also grinding is an easy problem to fix
1. Limited enemies
2. No xp for random battles, only from quests
3. Some aspect of grinding causes the game to become harder
4. Characters have a persistent limiter stat (total stamina, age, LP)
Etc etc

It's usually kept in because it allows difficulty adjustment. You're generally expected to not play like a sperg