Why do a bunch of ntsc games for the ps2 support 480p but almost no pal ones do?

Why do a bunch of ntsc games for the ps2 support 480p but almost no pal ones do?

Any way to force it via freemcboot?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_television#Displaying_an_image
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because PAL has 576 visible lines

I was expecting to learn something but I know realise I have no idea what this means

It's 576i
The analogue TVs showed the images by lines: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_television#Displaying_an_image

bump

Because pal versions are lazy ports for a technologically backward region.
All the budget is wasted on translations to french, german, italian and other irrelevant languages.

Yeah, sure.

Fuck off Eurofag.

Wow, what an AMAZING feature, god.

interlaced 50hz
progressive 25hz
get your facts straight NTSCnigger
Sour grapes

Go adjust your colours, faggot.

Top geg

top lyl

gsm mode in openps2loader can arbitrarily override the output resolution.
this only affects output resolution, not sample rate
you may still need to hold triangle and cross at game boot

You sure moved those goalpots from "technologically backwards"
If you don't know yet PAL was created to fix the problems that NTSC had.
And niggers were exclusively an american phenomenon until recently.

PAL60 was god-tier. Unfortunately it took them til the Dreamcast to utilise such power.

Because just like CRT HDTVs yurop never had consumer monitors with proper support for 480p/576p until very late.

GS mode selector via OPL, support is very hit or miss though and obviously you need a TV / scaler and cables than can handle 480p (aka either component or RGB SCART with CSYNC on an HDTV LCD or otherwise)

europe has been sucking sandnigger dick since the first world war.

Both shit when run on a 60 hz display. Also tons of PS2 games literally run slower

Depends. If you have a 1080p display 480 doubles nicely to 960. 576 forces you to use non-integer scaling which induces artifacts.

not really
Most of the PAL conversions weren't actually 576 just like how they weren't actually 50Hz.
PAL versions were literally worse versions of Japanese/American counterparts. The retard arguing in favor of PAL shit probably has never touched anything but a PC game in his life before shit got standardized.

It depends on whether the game was PAL optimised or not. If it was you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference. Most Sega, about half of Sony, and very few Nintendo games were optimised.

Fuck you too amerifat nigger lover

Some PS2 game still had the trifecta of shit

Only about 30 games support 480p, it's nowhere near a "bunch"

PAL60 > NTSC
Prove me wrong

Officially yes but you can manually force a bunch more to do 480p, Fatal Frame 2 and Ape Escape 3 come to mind.

You can't protect your borders, you can't do 60hz, you have to wait for years so your commie governement makes your vidya sand nigger friendly, and you can't even defend your shit running slower than the rest of the world. How can anyone classify that as nothing but being technologically backwards?

Why is the interlacing so fucked when emulating this console?

there's a very small library of 480p ps2 games anyway. You're better off running the system in rgb, and if you really want to play those few 480p games, look into getting an RGsB solution.

A lot of games also can't be effectively forced into 480p mode, a few can, but many of the systems games use a technique called field based rendering which uses the alternating lines (or fields as its also called) in an interlaced signal to render the game. Some games even use this technique to achieve the 60fps game play many PS2 games boast.

lmao get a real ps2 and a crt.

I'm calling horseshit

it is bullshit, PAL was just a proposed standard that euros saw as a better alternative to the NTSC standard, they went with it, but being europeans they had no foresight and when the majority of the electronics producing world used NTSC they were left with absolute shit. PAL is almost better on paper (PAL-M is 100% better) but refresh rate is extremely important.

Considering Amerifats couldn't do shit other than be Jews without importing brains from all around the world to invent and engineer their stuff. They also need beaners and niggers to do their manual labor, since their morbid obesity and brain rot makes them lazy, I wouldn't speak if I were you, kike. At least you have the ability to sustain such a huge debt that you can pay high skill workers better than any other country in the world, which is why you have the luxury of international brains moving in.

mad european detected

I've long theorized that the PAL standard has resulted in decrease brain function

NTSC>>>>SECAM>>PAL

Where I'm from it's the NTSC standard. Thanks for thinking only the US uses the standard. Proves my theory of processed food and HCFS combined with a mock education makes for one of the most retarded of peoples.

HFCS*

why the fuck would a pal version support an ntsc resolution if not explicitly made to do so

doesn't the adoption of the standard have to do with the local power grids operating at 50hz instead of 60?

well PAL scales like shit, though idk about 4k panels

no, doesn't effect the scan frequency

back when it was adopted, I mean

I don't know for sure, but seeing how sets that can operate in pal/ntsc/secam standards, I don't believe it matters.

Just checked myself, according to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL it was due to signals degrading from weather and geography. From what I can tell they basically exchanged 10 Hz on the refresh for a larger transmission of 8 MHz. But hey, at least the hues look slightly better.

Oh, and a few more lines to boot. Thats basically it.

I recently set up my PS2 after years of not using it, and it refuses to read any disc put inside it. The system works fine, but it won't read any disc no matter the condition of the disc. Is my system fucked or is it just dusty or something?

dead laser. try CDs as well, you may at least have a purple-ps2 or ps1 in a ps2 case that's usable. Otherwise if it's a fat, time to back up load with an HDD or ethernet load if you have an HDD to spare on your PC.

But I like the fat ones.

PAL60 DOESN'T SCALE LIKE PAL 50

I didn't say that, I just said you'll have to find other ways to play games on it, which there are, and the solutions are very good and will give you cheap access to tons of great games.

Fats are better anyway. I mean, you can also replace the laser but this may be more work than you want to put in.

I'm looking to purchase a PS2. Is it better to get a fat or slim model nowadays? If you can list reasons why I should buy one over the other.

PAL/NTSC < VGA

Get a phat, one that's been tuned up by a pro if possible, because FreeMcBoot kicks ass.

It does when you use that frequency as the reference clock.

Quite literally no difference. Get the one you can find cheapest

Apparently user is a time-traveler from the 19th century because he thinks this is actually true.

There's some slight compatibility differences, for both PS2 and PS1 games, depending on the model (wikipedia has a brief page on it). Fat PS2s can also make use of the expansion bay and network adaptor accessory to house and connect an IDE drive that has been set up to store PS2 games digitally on, which can then be run via loader programs like HDL and OPL (which can themselves be stored on the drive, or on a FMcB'ed memory card).

If I recall correctly, in the time it took for the BBC to start broadcasting in color, those Amerifats developed and implemented two systems of color TV, one of them being fully electronic and, unlike BBC's system, fully backwards compatible with existing sets.

In fact, the year before BBC2 started "colour" service, NBC had an entire network schedule of color programming, and they didn't even need some shitty "licence fee" to do it. It was all over the air, free of charge.

And it remains that way to this very day. In fact you can actually get some pretty decent channels over the air for fucking free. Better yet, they can't track your viewing habits, because there's no return signal capacity over radio waves.

Fairly sure the ps2 slim has the adapter already built in

Hell, PAL was originally based on color NTSC in the early stages

This is also true, but we don't use NTSC anymore, we use ATSC, which is just an MPEG stream carried over UHF/VHF. It's still free and can be picked up with the same antenna's as NTSC, but you either need an MPEG decoder box or a newer TV with one built-in to receive new channels

The main point there is that you need the expansion bay to utilize the IDE drive, which in turn requires the adaptor accessory to connect the drive to the PS2 (in order to both read from the drive and to power the drive). As far as I'm aware, the slims saw the expansion bay removed.

Huh, didn't know about that.
Still, burning discs is a far better method to pirate on the ps2

Loaders seem to have fairly good compatibility as is (though I won't claim they have full compatibility yet, at least to my knowledge), doesn't require wearing down your laser, and is capable of bypassing region lock and legitimacy checks on digitally stored files (allowing for playing out-of-region and fan-patched games). I'd also wager that actual loading times are reduced, though admittedly I haven't personally crosschecked by way of comparing the same game between owned disc and digitally stored.

It's especially haunting when you just see the CBS logo followed by the more ambiquitous message "Goodbye" before it goes to static, it's almost apocalyptic
We really lost something when NTSC died in 2009, it was more than a broadcast standard, it was an entire generation of media and people that we will never get back. Government Regulations killed TV, after the NTSC -> ATSC switchover ALL decent channels moved to subscriber-only shit. I don't think that would've happened if the switchover never happened. ATSC has real advantages over NTSC, but it was not in the governments place to mandate the switch.

It's not really that, more about how expensive it is to get your hands on all the components needed and then having to set them up, it's very annoying to go through.

Or at least that's what I heard from people that did it.

I have a fat ps2 lying around and numerous spare IDE drives. What's the process to actually get this working?

Will it allow me to play NTSC games at 60hz on my PAL console?

Most games run slower because programmers weren't about to program their games for 50hz.

It depends on the game, some just play at a lower frame rate, others literally do run slower.

There's still no `perfect' version of FF:X because the NTSC release lacks some content, the PAL version makes a 100hr JRPG even longer and the HD release fucked up the models.

WNBC's was even more haunting. After all, their's was the station where compatible color TV began.

There's mods to fix the re-release though

God there's something about pre-digital production logos that have always intrigued me, even made me nostalgic, like watching old VHS tapes late at night with all the lights off, the only light seen is from the old CRT you had, and watching these old logos flash on-screen before the feature presentation.

Set up took me a while, but I attribute that more to it being my first time doing so and wanting to double and triple check everything. If I had to do it all again now it would probably be pretty damn fast. You're right about there being additional cost though, but it's not all that much in the long run.

Still, to each their own I suppose. I'd rather deal with this than burn discs.

Couldn't someone just rip the English script from the PAL version and patch it into the JP International version, or at the very least make a 60 MHz patch (I know Terranigma saw one, but there's probably a difference in difficulty for doing that between a fourth gen and sixth gen game)?

Yes, region coding on the ps2 is in the software of the game discs; all ps2 consoles have the same hardware config.

Some IDE hard drives work, some don't. I think Maxtor drives have the best compatibility.

You need a network adaptor and a memory card with freeMCboot loaded on it. You can get them on ebay.

If I buy a memory card with Free Mc boot already installed on it because I can't do it myself, will I be able to add stuff to it or am I going to be stuck with what they give me?

it's not that hard user just buy that 007 game, and I run things off of usb if I need to add more stuff to it, I'm not sure if you can add anything to the actual freemcboot on the memory card

I tried, maybe I'm just retarded

If the card comes with an application called uLaunchElf installed on it as well, you can use that and the USB drive to add more applications and update existing ones with newer versions. While USB 1.0 sucks for trying to run games through (hence why external USB memory doesn't make for good storage with the PS2), it's fine for adjusting and adding programs, as the filesizes are very small for those (given official PS2 memory cards were only 8MB in size).

Also, there's various different ways to acquire FreeMcBoot these days, besides just the intended "buy it from the creator" way.

I've added OPL to the card directly, I think.

It does come with ulaunchelf, 9£ for a 64mb card also seems like a pretty good deal

Really wish I didn't have to resort to piracy to play some games I like but the prices are really getting crazy

For the most part, the PS2 still has a rather reasonably priced library, though a handful are indeed expensive, and overall it's been slowly on the rise. Still not "Gamecube-tier" prices where best selling "must-plays" like Super Mario Sunshine or Wind Waker are averaging $30-40 at minimum where I live, thankfully. I like to have actual copies of games I enjoy/am interested in where possible, but for some games (like, say, .hack), or even system libraries on the whole, that's just not feasible anymore.

On the off-chance you're not talking about burning games, and more about using loaders to run them digitally, and thus would need an HDD setup anyhow (requires a fat model PS2), the basic modpack you can find on TiZ includes some version of uLaunchElf on it that will be installed directly to the IDE when finished. It's likely an outdated version of the program, but you can use the uLE there to run a Free McBoot installer via USB, and install it on your own memory card yourself, and go from there. Just a thought, as it's what I had to do in order to update a loader from what the modpack came with as a default.

I've heard somewhat iffy things about non-official PS2 memory card longevity in general, as far as not corrupting, but it's admittedly something I ought to research more on myself. Also, I think I've seen things in the past about Free McBoot requiring official-make memory cards (IE: Sony's 8MB); if that's correct, and if nothing's changed since then (FMcB is now at v1.95 at latest, I think), you may want to be wary. At least look into reviews or whatever that the vendor you're looking at for it is legit and offers properly working cards. Personally I'd prefer to do it myself, see to it that it works properly, rather than trust in card resellers.