Phone gaming

Are there ANY good games for smartphones? I have a Samsung and I've mostly been using it to play snes, gba and ps1 jrpgs and turn based strategy games.

Other urls found in this thread:

lineageos.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LineageOS
imore.com/iphone-5-touchscreen-latency-measured-found-be-25-times-faster-closest-android-device
reddit.com/r/Android/comments/4emced/touch_latency_is_being_highly_disregarded/
delvergame.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no, and emulators are pretty bad due to androids fucking huge amount of overhead.

just get a handheld.

What do you mean?

I play Pathfinder ACG and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup on the go. It makes my commutes more bearable but that's it.

Are there any good phones? I have the S7 and it's a piece of shit. Plus AT&T feels the need to automatically install the latest shitty android "update" and makes my phone run even slower.

Only ports of turn based games.

Just turn off automatic updates.

I did, even in the developer options.

Can't avoid the (((security))) updates.

all the shit the OS does at any point. There's latency for everything in every operating system, and certain things have greater latency based on the priority. Android has fucked up latency for bluetooth input, for touch screen input. it's god awful.

…I mostly use retro arch since it has 'autosave on shutdown' and 'autoload on startup' meaning I can get right back in the exact spot where i stopped playing.

Android emulators are way better than any emulators on handhelds. Handhelds are obsolete as far as emulation goes, it's not 2006 anymore grandpa
wut

Just install Cyanogenmod ya mouth breather

I think he meant Java as a whole.

What

Carmageddon, it's free and all too.

found the cool kid play pokemon red in his 10th grade class

Android apps are made in Java brah.

the simple answer is not really. there are some decent phones but forced obsolescence in the phone scene is absolutely rampant. if you put a gun to my head i would say the sony xperia z4 or whatever the last one was, after a rootkit, is my pick: i had a z1 and z2 and they were easily the best smartphones i've ever owned, with a nice crisp screen, good keyboard, and a banging camera (pic related was taken with my ancient z1). rooting your phone is critical nowadays unless you constantly have a thousand dollars to spend on new phones, where a new "update" will do nothing aside from drain your battery four times faster than before or add a new filter for your keyboard or other stupid, pointless shit

on-topic, the only phone games i've ever enjoyed are the kairosoft ones. game dev story is the best one, but i had a really good time with the one where you also run a race team and develop new cars and such

Yeah and asking on other forums just gets you a bunch of android apologists who say "Why would you not want the latest update? ;^)"

Is CM even around anymore? I thought they jewed themselves out of business.

To be honest the last phone I really enjoyed was the Blackberry Q10. Now I have a G5, it's nice but I miss the keyboard and functional UI not made for social media addicts who share every tidbit of their lives on Facebook.

Last phone I loved was the Motorolla Atrix. I'm so fed up with the shitty Android based phones I've even considered getting an iPhone, but I know those are only designed to last one year.

They are worst than Android too. I can't stand Iphones.

iphone6 is awesome. My sister has one, she let me play with it sometimes.

You play with it while she plays with your dick?

Can I play with your sister while you use the phone?

can i fuck you and have your sister watch

Do you have to look for a carrier-specific phone? I have at&t but considering switching to another company.

Why should she play with my penis?

I don't know you, mom told me not to fuck strangers again.

CM is dead, but it left a heir.

lineageos.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LineageOS

Musynx is a lot of fun. Rayark puts out some good stuff. HyperDevbox and Kemco are who you want to see if you ha e any interest in RPGs.

That's off the top of my head.

The long dead PSV version is better, too bad they're doing touchshit now.
Don't they shit out a new game every week? Feels like they all look the same, too.

if you're going to root it, carrier doesn't matter. just make sure that the phone you choose can connect to the network you want to use (HSPA/LTE/GSM etc). if you're not going to root it, then yes, some phones are locked to certain carriers. that's what "unlocked" means in regards to phones, it's not locked to any one network

My LG G6 is pretty sweet, but that's just because I love the dual camera setup (one is a wide angle lens) and the manual options on the default camera app for both pictures and video. Also phone display resolutions are getting retarded. I know it's all for bragging rights and tricking casuals, but having a 1440p display on a 5 inch screen is just a waste. At least it has dolby HDR for the zero apps that use it.

This is going to sound crazy, but if you want a phone to last a long time get an iPhone. They typically have at least 5 years of software support in the form of updates. This will ensure that you have a phone that's both secure and has up to date software features.
Android phones typically suffer from software obsolescence very very quickly due to poor update support.

Also, with the Xperia Z series. I loved my Z3, but be very careful. They are super fragile. And if the screen gets even a tiny crack the whole thing needs to be replaced.

So I would just go to a phone dealer and buy a SIM card?

I had so many LGs die on me it is ridiculous, Currently using a Samsung Note 6 and don't feel like looking back

Things i can recommend

Costs fucking full price and there are no DLCs, but i've played it more than the desktop version at this point, controls are perfectly fine. iOS only though

Pretty good game, fast and fun, costs much less

Fast, fun, hard, not that much money

Full game, didn't age so well but it's pretty fun then and now

yeah. once you've got an unlocked/compatible phone, you just activate a SIM from whatever network you're going with and throw that shit into the phone. since networks adopted the SIM your account now follows the SIM, not the phone, so plug it into whatever you want

My G2 lasted me all the way until this G6. But honestly I always hear people crying about failure, regardless of brand or device. Buying any phone is a bullshit gamble and I blame the jew carriers who want to push phone insurance.

Thanks for the spoonfeeding. You think AT&T would get butthurt if I sold my S7 even though I'm still paying on it?

iPhone is all locked down and its app store does not allow emulators. Useless for retro vidya.

Fire Emblem Heroes is pretty good.

Why do you think it's often called Javadroid, retard.

How
The original Atrix MB860 is the worst phone I ever owned by a long shot.

NUKE IT FROM FUCKING ORBIT

There is a port of Nu-XCOM for Android.

do you really give a shit what a multi-billion dollar company thinks of your relatively tiny purchase?

Emulation and The Quest which was originally a pocket PC release.
Thats it

Summer killing this board thread by thread

I'm done with with website, goodbye.

Nah I just didn't want to get hit up the ass with some bullshit hidden fees

i don't know what american rules are, but here in canada*they can't charge cancellation fees or anything like that anymore. at most the company can just charge you the remainder of your phone balance (so if you owe $200 on your phone they can only charge for your last month of service+$200)

We got fucked up prices though, at least here in Quebec

nigga let me teach you a little trick i used to work for telus: buy a koodo SIM card and activate it with a Saskatchewan rate plan (they get unlimited north american calling and texting and 5gb for like 45$ if you have your own phone). you don't need to have a saskatchewan address to do this. transfer your existing phone number to your new super low rate plan; this will cancel your existing contract (you'll still be expected to pay whatever charges). enjoy

Of course GBC is much less resource demanding than DS, but since both run smoothly it's probably more due to bad programming on the emulator's dev side.

Sheeeeiiiit, thanks saskabro. I'm due for a contract renewal next month and I'm tired of selling my soul to Videotron.

No. All casual trash and microtransactions. You'll never find a legit game among the trash heap that isn't a shoddy port of some oldass shit with dodgy touchscreen controls. Trust me, I've tried.

remember that if you want to carry your phone over too you'll need to get whoever you're with right now to unlock it before you cancel. they are legally bound to do this on request but charge forty bucks i think

I think they have to it for free here now. I'm already unlocked though, I had them do it when I got the phone, I asked nicely.

fuck AT&T and this gay earth

Are there any good gamepads for Android?

That seems like it misses the point. Better off buying a handheld PC.

I have a phone because someone offered to pay for it. I use it as an MP3 player, video player, manga reader, and a small handful of other things, but it's almost a shame that I can't use it to play any games. Even most RPGs are unplayable with screen controls.

No, get an OTG adaptor

DCSS is pretty fun and can be played on the go. Open source, no mts no faggotry.

Clash royale would be best game ever if they didn't jew you so hard for money. Norminally I don't care that they do this but the game is so good and fun it pisses me off.

I've been playing pokemon pinball on a gbc emulator. it's alright.
Mobile will never be good to play long ass games, it's better for games you can start up and play and stop playing without much consequence at any time.

Aside of emulators, no. Smartphones are a broken platform for video game development, any kind of enhancement you can think of to fix a problem related to mobile game gameplay brings up another problem related to portability and smartphone functionality.
Hell, it doesn't even need to be about portability. If you optimize your game for being played with a detachable gamepad or a stylus. Chances are no one will ever touch it because all the normalfags on smartphone gaming only care about having the thinnest meme hardware possible and find gamepads and stylus "ugly", "clunky" or some other shit.

I finished Suikoden on my phone no problem

Why tough? Why not play it on a PC?

probably because you can't bring your PC to the bathroom or on the bus or wherever you might be waiting for a period of time.

and also because if you do have a PC you can do portable shit with, it won't last very long on its battery life.

Because I can comfortably play it under my sheets or while at work

I guess so…
I do have a 3DS so I rather play it when I'll have time or when I spend days away from home…
When I have unexpected quick breaks or whatever I just enjoy some quick games on the phone.

But I do still have a savefile of Pokemon TCG I'm playing trough too… I just don't do it very much.

Anons keep saying mobile gaming is shit but that's absolutely false.

Sure, android/iphone games are filled with shit, but there are some really good ones. The trick is to find games that don't or rarely use virtual controls and instead have intuitive control schemes.

Then you've also got emulators that do the rest

It is only superficially Java. It's not running on the JVM, it's running on ART and has different performance characteristics.

It's a fakking phone, preferring a thin device that fits in your pocket is quite a logic choice for people who have jobs.

While those aren't "bad" games, I certainly wouldn't play them if I had an alternative.

True. If you have a DS/3DS or any other portable console, then it's a moot point.

On PPSSPP's store page on google play it states that it's hard to run this game on phones. I'm using the most updated version on a Samsung Galaxy 6X Active and it runs at around 20 to 25 FPS out of battle and drops when in battle. Is there any way to run this game smoothly without frame skipping?

my nigga
Sony Xperia phones were really good.
Especially when it still had that battery saving setting that allowed me to go on for days without even needing to charge, and that's even with normal use.

Or buy a Google Nexus / Pixel device. Apple is overpriced shitty hardware

I was also thinking of buying a new phone next year, because buying an at&t exclusive phone that's a Samsung was a mistake. I was thinking of getting something with a good cpu for emulation and something that's easy to root. I was either thinking of getting a new Chinese phone, something like One Plus or Xiaomi or something like what said about Sony phones.

Are the Nexus devices any good, I've heard good things about them and how they're easy to root. Is the Pixel similar to the Nexus phones?

Those are the only two games you need, the first for when you have a couple minutes and the second for when you have less than a minute since it's turn based.

All other mobile games are shit, if you want to play something with more of a time investment you shouldn't be playing on your phone.

They're related. It's unclear if Pixel is the successor to the Nexus or if it's just a more "luxury" brand (Pixels are like twice as much as Nexus phones).

Anyway, they're both first-party, vanilla Android (which means verizon doesn't shit up your phone and lock the bootloader), and get updates before any other phones.

Originally Nexus devices were supposed to be the "standard" that 3rd parties look to when developing they're own phones. They're good value, but may not have all the bullshit gimmicks from other phones

pac man is pretty fun.

Android games are easy as hell to pirate

Plenty of fun games if you're not a poorfag who thinks 10k is a lot of money

What? Lucky Patcher says hello

All those cucks blaming the system, not the games
Just because 98% mobile games are microtransaction shit spammed by chinese and poos, doesn't mean all of them are. Smartphones could potentially become best portable consoles in existence.

How can I get that shit to work with my controller? I got a cheap little Bluetooth thing, and Retroarch seems to lose it's shit when I try and set controls. Like, I set Start as Start in the menu, and when a game says Press Start fucking nothing happens.

mobiles have 8gigs of ram out of which 6gigs is dedicated to the OS itself.

You're exaggerating.

I am talking about modern phones. Shit like S8 or even Iphone.
Which version of android is that running?

He's saying you're exaggerating the RAM usage you dumb cunt.

I want reddit to leave.

are you his groupie or something?

I'm just literate is all.

you mean illiterate

I guess this isn't "modern" enough.

lol, just in case you're not baiting and just dumb
First one is just a lie, since it does have all those touchscreen delay problems and shit. And while it emulates older handhelds just fine, emulating things like DS and PSP isn't good enough in it.
The two in the middle defeat the purpose of a portable device
The last one is the only valid one but it doesn't mean shit if there's no good game to use it.

You also forgot to mention that the thing has no buttons on it.
If you're going to attach a big ass controller to it you're better off buying an actual handheld like a 3DS or a Vita.

I believe a longer battery life is a better priority, and that'd be much easier to achieve if designers were not so damn obsessed with pointless thinness.

Nai.

Touchscreen sucks shit for games.

Well I don't know about good, most "good games" are gachas, and if you don't like weeb rhythm games you're pretty fucked.

I just like Deemo, Love Live SIF, Idolmaster Cinderella Girls Starlight Stage, Idolmaster Million Live Theater Days, Pokemon Duel, FE Heroes.

You can try out others like Granblue, Fate GO, Brave Frontier, FF Brave Exvius but I'd recommend against it.

Just get retroarch and a BT controller or something.

OnePlus 3T?
Damn, I should really pick up the 3T. I have a 2 and some rhythm games are unplayable due to timing issues and the shitty snapdragon 810 warming up and burning my hands.

Mobile games are the future, 20 years from now consoles, handhelds, even the PC gaming scene will be dead since everyone will be able to play every game on their phone.

Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 have their definitive versions on smart devices. They have been rebuilt from the ground up by the people who are developing Sonic Mania. Comes with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles as playable characters, and Sonic 2 even has a whole new stage

You poorfags lead such interesting lives

kik, it's a game about getting cuteboy nudes

After trying 2 times to get proper one. No.
Lets hope Moto gamepad will turns out to be good.
Alternatively just get regular gamepad and find a way to hold your phone.

Pretty much this.
Fire Emblem Heroes:

It's pretty snazzy. The 5 just came out, so if you want a REALLY high end phone, check that one, but this one will only go down in price.

A phone upgrade isn't going to save you from touch screen input latency. No matter what phone you use all capacitive touch screens have about 100ms of input lag. Its the reason why only turn based games are viable.

Still playing tetris on a Nokia 3720c phone.
Can't fucking deal with touchscreens. They make me feel like my hand is made out of cancer.

I have an LG V20, which I just got after having a Moto G4 for about 2 years and already saw the battery start losing its charge almost within the first 30 minutes.

It plays emulators already, older pokemon games work perfectly, too.
I've even got Mario 64 up and running until I got nearly half way through the game only to encounter a game breaking bug.

I have oneplus 5 and that uses 4gigs of RAM out of the box with nothing running.

Until I can build my own smartphone with hardware by multiple manufacturers PC ain't going anywhere you retard,
Reminds me of the faggot investors and analysts saying PC gayman was dead because Farmville tier shit was migrating to mobile.
Its been 7 fucking years
Reminds me when publishers, investors and analysts said PC gayman was dead because consoles were more profitable thanks to the Iphone generatio of retards flooding tech
That was 10 years ago
Reminds me when investors and anlysts "predicted" the death of PC gayman in Europe when the Mega Drive became super popular
That was 27 years ago

This is about time investement which tons of normalfags that originally bought dedicated hardware, mostly consoles in 2007 did not have and has a consequence have moved to shit like mobile.
Its why the console market has shrunk considerably since that year.

Im on iOS. Apple is faggot shit, but Android is third-world-tier garbage. I've had both, and flagship devices as well.
Most points against iPhones are sour grape sourced, the hardware and software are just better. They're overpriced as fuck, and the fact that you can't run fucking bash on the damn thing without jailbreaking is ridiculous, but it does everything better than any Android device, and it doesn't take a Decacore with 16GB RAM just to get the damn operating system to run smoothly and still failing at that. I wish there was a third competitor.

The iPad Air 2 (2015) had 9ms input lag

You seriously believe that?
No wonder apple makes millions. They could sell a turd ,call it gold and charge an arm and leg for it.

Except there are already open sour e hardware and software for phones, you can't say the same for PC. Just face it: Soon you and everyone else that clings to PC gaming will be a technological dinosaur in a matter of decades.

I remember reading it on Anandtech back then, comparing it to some Galaxy tablet which had around 50ms. Just fucking google it

Article from 2013, Samsung Galaxy S4 at 114ms, iPhone 5 at 55ms
imore.com/iphone-5-touchscreen-latency-measured-found-be-25-times-faster-closest-android-device

Plebbit post from 2016 with a list of sourced latencies on Smartphones, most way under 100ms
reddit.com/r/Android/comments/4emced/touch_latency_is_being_highly_disregarded/

That user was talking out of his ass is all im saying.

What the fuck are the chinks doing, they could make a killing with something like that

One game. Just one. KOTOR. Other console ports never feel right in their controls. Anything that isn't a 2000s console port is loaded out the ass with microtransactions.

Like every phone

the only thing they'd be killing would be themselves
The original bombed hard.

So if this conversation has shifted to emulation, what are the best emulators for the job?

Like?

Those phones were awesome. Xperia Play is still comparable to a PSP in emulation capacity. You can even play GTA3 and Max Payne on it.

Cytus is a great rhythm game (that you don't need to be Arcade Asian to be decent at)

Only thing I ever come back to besides emulation at this point.

Plague, Inc. is pretty decent.

Retroarch

Super Senso is about the only decent turn-based tactics game I've found.

Can I fuck your phone while you play with your sister?

You mean Game Controllers? Yeah probably.

Nope.

Plants vs Zombies was excellent. Turned to shit within one sequel.

Thats still pretty fucking stupid.

Microsoft fucked over the Nokia Fins.

Did they ever port KOTOR II?

And then PvZ heroes. Where did it go so wrong?

Naw, faggot, the only way you can make an android phone into even a moderately decent emulation machine is if you get a cradle for a proper controller - which looks even gayer than just playing a portable in public. And almost none of them are designed to fit in a pocket the way portable consoles… just designed to put a standard controller on a phone.

Naw.

What about Delver?
delvergame.com/

I used to remember the times when a phone could last fucking forever and not only a fucking year. Fucking jews.

No, only emulators are worth anything on mobile.
Everything else is gacha-shit, old phone games that remember fucking Nokia brick and everything has ingame ads.

kys

Rockstar games and Apitode.

I have an interest in rpgs and strategy games but absolutely not weebshit. Is there anything out there for a nigger like me?

My s4 has lasted me 4 and isn't dying any time soon.
The bigger driver to buy new phones is newer software (no one optimizes shit on android let alone ios) requiring more and more resources to run.

Pixel dungeon is a fun little rouge clone.

Had an iphone until a couple weeks ago, now I'm able to download torrents, play webm's and make use of it as portable storage without having itunes give me any shit. Not to mention the simplicity of pirating apk's.

No way in hell am I ever going back to apple

Yes, but some are reasonably small, pic related.

try this

You can also get a right phone. Currently it looks a bit bad but not like shit.
Xperia play is way underpowered but is starting to get cheap and you will still be able to run all older consoles like GBA on it.
OK now where future looks bright. Moto decided to make their phone modular. Currently it means powerbank for phone that already have battery strong enough to hold 2-3 days but they announced they will be releasing gamepad moto mod later this year.

xperia play also has a built in ps1 emulator with the og crash which you can reverse engineer to play any ps1 game.
Shame it has a shit battery life like all android phones.

What's the point of smart phones? Why do you need one? Just get a flip phone.

I bought Moto Z Play thinking about gamepad and maybe one other moto mod.
Now I don't regret it even if I won't be able to buy the gamepad. I don't even bother with power bank because this battery can last 2 days on its own.
But yeah at the same time gamepad will make it PSP size, which sucks. Xperia play had much better solution being essentially PSP Go.

You essentially carry a PC in your pocket. Poor mans PC that is closer to consoles at times but still PC.

mine would last a day at the most if I barely used it, guess I should get it a new battery and see if it makes any difference.

idk if it'll be any better tbh fam but it is an alternative.

at that point, you'll look less autistic by just playing a 3DS or PSVita

You can't make me work, jews!

This one is breddy gud

I wanna fuck that horse

The 2ds is coming out soon, I might consider getting it. Mostly only play during commute these days anyway.

Oh, has anyone tried valkyria chronicles 3 on ppsspp on mobile?
So far I've tried dissidia, which I can't get too far in bc touch screen, and MGS Portable ops which lags way too much on my phone.

downwell and baikoh are pretty good, but they're distinctly mobile games

pone not for sexuals

Get better soon, Mr. McMahon :(

That looks great if you don't mind spending ~$350 on a new phone rather than use whatever you already have.

That's 9ms display lag, not input lag.

Regardless, Android has huge latency issues that will probably never be fixed because Google can't put consistent effort into making a good OS and instead they keep making badly designed apps

Emulators and rhythm games

At this point Google knows it owns the not-Apple smartphone market and can be lazy as fuck with no consequences. They have no reason to improve, especially since Apple isn't improving either.

They made cash cow os. Why would they fix their shit? OS is less optimized and they constantly making new hardware for it. Planned obsolesce. And why do you think their marked has no ability to hide all shit tier games with pay2win? Because they dont fucking want to.

Soon

fuck