Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Help Holla Forums, I'm itching for a second playthrough, what mods are the must have?
Bonus points for mods that will give me more hours of gameplay WITHOUT adding locations to the game.
Morrowind thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

tamrielrebuilt.uesp.net/trmap/index.html
openmw.org/en/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also is this of any indication about how much land does TR add?
tamrielrebuilt.uesp.net/trmap/index.html
The new update was scheduled for march, should be any momenth now.

I've not played much Morrowind but I played it first with OpenMW and I had some fun with it. It fixes some of the bugs and engine glitches from the game and makes it look more presentable on modern hardware. openmw.org/en/

You should play it vanilla.
With all the glitches and problems it has, it's still better than all the other games in the franchise.
Yeah Daggerfags, graphics and gameplay is also part of a game's score and if you don't think so you should really stick to board games.

IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN!!

JUST

My backlog isn't gonna play itself user

I've got the mod for you, my necro.

user, OpenMW is vanilla Morrowind with some bugfixes for modern hardware. It keeps the exploit shit intact. It's not that shitstain that is Skywind.

Is that the necromancy mod?

Why is Skywind a shitstain, user?

Yes blasphemous revenants.

Mainly because it turns the combat into swashbuckling simulator like in Skyrim, destroying every semblance of challenge (as little as there was) because Morrowind was designed as a classic RPG.

Yes and no. That's all the land it's going to add. The release version only has about a third of it implemented, but there's also a dev version with all the unfinished land added with it.

The biggest reason Skywind is a shitstain is that it ain't gonna happen. It's mostly modelers, texture artists, and idea guys with their heads stuck up their asses, unable to see that they can't carry out all their ambitions. They're also pretty incompetent, while refusing to admit their own incompetence. They intentionally "lie" about the state of the mod to incite interest. The only reason they're even making the project is just so they can get noticed by developers. It's basically the modding equivalent of Starbound, only they can't sucker millions of dollars out of people in pre-orders.

Oh boy. Let's see. Aside from the obvious, that Skyrim's gameplay is far removed from Morrowind's, the terrible voice acting, etc. etc…

First, Skyrim's engine is closed source, so they can't implement whatever they want. They need to make dirty hacks to get around the engine limitations, which is an evolution of Oblivion's engine, which itself is an evolution of Morrowind's engine. And so we've come full circle.

Second, we're dealing with Skyrim's engine in the first place. Not exactly something to be proud of.

Third, the people who work on it are disorganised as fuck. People who have left the team have come out and talked about how it's a typical "too many cooks" thing.

Fourth, the asset creators are paranoid. The OpenMW people once talked about how good it would be to get Skywind's assets into the public domain, but they didn't count on the Skywind people not understanding that developers don't mean stealing when they say "liberating".

Speaking of OpenMW, someone of the Skywind team offered their help to OpenMW saying they could set up some "smoke and mirrors" shit to show what the OpenMW engine would be capable of in the future. Pic related.

Where am I? Oh yes, sixth. Skywind's demos are smoke and mirrors too. They carefully manage what they show in their clips because if you go outside those bounds you see that it just doesn't work, is poorly optimised, etc.

You skipped five.

I've tried to go back to morrowind but it's just too old and the combat is horrible, no amount of mods make it fun. A total conversion for skyrim could work, but people who left the team have said it's just a scam.

Five was the "smokes and mirrors" offer, the "pic related" one, silly user.

No it wouldnt, even if they perfectly pulled it off.

Are there any touhou mods for morrowind?

So they are going to skip over like a fifth of the continent?
There's even two capitals down there as shown by the map.
Is there a cell limit or something?

No, it's just a ridiculous amount of work, and they're going over quality over quantity. To a fault, some might argue, as they have started over a few times with some cities.

Madmans.
Besides user, you're starting to sound like a dev, or if anything a very autistic dedicated fan of the mod.

I'm in the middle of my first playthrough. Should probably resume it but had been distracted by other things for a while. Also I was majorly disappointed by not being able to buy an Argonian slave, despite they have a bunch of other slaves to purchase and them being one of the most common. Argonians only look nice in Morrowind.
No mods for me since first time playing and I like to experience the raw first time around usually.

No you dummy. That's just land that's so early in development they haven't actually textured it.

He's not wrong.
t. TR dev

A L M A L E X I A
W
H
E
N
?

Speaking of Morrowind. Does anyone have the downloads for the Lovers and Legends mod and it Add-on?

engine limitations bruh
not open source, so there's only so many things you can do with creative modding and script extenders

He is one.

Vanilla Morrowind is unplayable for non-spergs. I had GotY Morrowind for Xbox for like 15 years and only touched it once or twice

Take a loot at this fag.
What makes it unplayable, tell me please.

If he ever bothers replying the things he will list as unplayable will be because he fucked his character build

Only mandatory stuff are the delayed dark brotherhood attacks, the morrowind code patch, the 4gb patch, the exe optimizer and the patch project. Everything else is just gravy, but those will fix major issues, bugs and tremendously cut down on the CTD issues the base game is plagued with.

Combat is atrocious

I always found it fun to get ambushed by the DB early in the game as I was resting in the wilderness, but it did break the early game since their gear sells for a lot.

I had the code patch, and only had one single CTD, trying to make a potion with 6 of the same effect by exploiting alchemy.

You forgot the solstheim rumors fix, which is arguably more important than the DB delay.

Not if the assassin has a glitched armor texture and you're sleeping in a bed close to a door, so the assassin blocks the path out, and you end up swinging your already inaccurate dagger into the red void of glitches until it falls to the ground
I had to take a 10 minutes break after it happened, because my heart was pounding too much ;-;

It's a just following the rules of any older RPG, you're just retarded.

No you're retarded for putting words into people's mouths. I'm not that user but I fully understand the combat and it is absolutely retarded because it's mindless and full of shitty RNG. RNG is only good when it forces the player to plan for multiple outcomes but absolutely noone does this in Morrowind, they just mash LMB until they win. The entire game is trivial because of how easy it is to break in every aspect of its gameplay, including combat.

Arbitrary genre labels should never be used to defend shitty mechanics. Your agility stat should increase your character's acceleration so its easier to dodge, your skill in using a weapon should increase its attack speed/damage so you can use it more effectively, and your skill in a magic school should decrease the fatigue cost of casting spells (and there should be one). All of those give you the same result of the shitty RNG mechanics without having to resort to retarded dice rolls. The only reason DnD has dice rolls is because it is a limitation of the medium, they can't account for your ability to use a skill in a tabletop setting so they use RNG to fake it.

The only two things that an RPG needs is to encourage role playing and be a fun videogame. Retards like the designers at Bethesda only borrowed DnD mechanics directly because they didn't know any better.

And on top of all that there are plenty of other poorly designed gameplay mechanics, like the genius who decided to make any directional attack other than the highest damage one completely useless, the nonexistent hitbox detection, the broken alchemy system, the useless security system (why not just use alteration?), the broken stealth system, the broken persuasion system, the static NPCs, and many more.

Some parts of this game might be great but its gameplay is far from it.

He probably went in expecting another genre, that shit happens thanks to oblivion and skyrim.

The twist is that you're a turbo-sperg.

Be a mage?

Because, get this, roleplaying

get this, game

An RPG has to be both a good game and something that encourages you to roleplay, otherwise you're just roleplaying and there is no game.

Only being a mage drastically limits how many different characters you can make and hurts the role playing aspect.

RNG is an RPG thing yes. You can cry about it as much as you want but that won't change it.

all games would be improved by removing rng

There's are games in the "genre" that mostly avoid it such as Mount and Blade or Dark Souls/Dragon's Dogma, though those two are pretty light on the roleplaying aspect.

Besides I'm making my own gameplay overhaul for OpenMW, already removed RNG from weapon combat and replaced the effects of the skills with fatigue cost reduction and higher damage

I don't want to, I'm just saying that "you can just not play as a thief/warrior" doesn't justify the fact that playing as them is shit.

Jvk1166z.esp

Shit it has been 15 years already?

I've been playing this game for 15 years and it never dawned on me how bullshit that is until you mentioned it.

At least you can buy a dark elf woman with wide hips fit for child bearing.

Compared to Oblivion and Skyrim there are not really any sort of mods like that for Morrowind.

Julan, Ashlander Companion

Did you hear that? I thought I heard a tapping on my bedroom window.

watch the sky

He's fun for maybe one playthrough but his whiny bullshit gets annoying after that.

I'll be honest, first time one of the Skyrim guards told me "watch the skies traveler" it gave me a cold chill

These

Elaborate?

ABSOLUTE SHIT TASTE DETECTED

You can find tutorials on youtube, but be prepared to go through about an hour or two getting it all set up.

I like my adventures cheap and free of golden niggers jumping me. For example the gold I saved on armor I got this sweet new sword.

Didn't that have super high requirements, and still somehow be capped at 30fps?

The chieftain specifically mentions she's a bit slim on the hips. It's a happy ending for both, though, surprisingly. I wish Oblivion or Skyrim let you meet their descendants.

Convenient, but not that great compared to what you can do with graphics mods.

Really? Fuck I thought he mentioned she had great hips and was prime wife material.

i want to shill this mod because not many people seem to know about it, it's by far the best ambient sounds mod for Morrowind.

it adds a lot of immersion alongside graphics mods, also the music plugin is optional so you don't have to play with the included Oblivion/Skyrim soundtrack if you don't want to.

in other news I want to play Morrowind again but I hate how much the game crashes when heavily modded

screenshots from OpenMW 42.0 RC1, some mods used are OpenMW exclusive.

flora mods in morrowind end up taking up a lot of the limited real estate, kinda wish modders would realize morrowind is pretty small scale wise compared to some other games. they often look cluttered, awkward, and giant.

Weren't there supposed to be full compatibility between OpenMW and Vanilla?

Oh hey, it's user's necromancy mod.

As in that there shouldn't be any features implemented in Zenimax's engine that aren't implemented in OpenMW, not as in that there shouldn't be any features implemented in OpenMW that aren't implemented in Zenimax's engine - you understand that adding new features to Zenimax's engine is difficult, of course.

Isnt the whole point of OpenMW to allow more shit than in vanilla.

anyone here trying to keep up to date with the OpenMW forum?
that shit is a barrel of laughs in how dead it is and how insular the team is
downplaying criticism and delaying releases because they have to have a fucking video that accompanies the release
going so far as to delay the release when the guy making the video has computer-troubles

OpenMW is meant to get rid of the limitations that the default engine has. So there are bound to be exclusive mods.

Have fun playing any DnD based game without RNG. It's gonna be a boring shitfest.

I get you but those games are not based on the DnD rules, Morrowind simply is.

After deciding to reply Morrowind for the first time since around 2007, I was actually pretty disappointed. I was wondering why everyone here still feels the need to hype the fuck out of this game. The first 3 hours were pretty nonstaglic and what not and the atmosphere was really nice, but the most of the early quests amounted to go here get this come back, which unless properly disguised with a story feels to me like a chore. The cities were far more shit than I remember them, except Vivec city, they all feel incredibly artificial, and the dialogue of minor characters reads like someone handing me a fucking travel brochure. Early combat was exactly how I remembered it, I'd run around a room so that enemies couldn't hit me and then once ever 20 seconds I'd turn around and hit them (or in most cases miss), or with lower enemies I'd hit and then back away, hit and repeat. Exploring wasn't any fun this time around seeing I always knew about where I was going and what was going to be there. That being said the later game was as fun as ever and the main quest, as well as the guild stories are pretty fun too, with the exception of the mages guild which I just found boring, but that's really just personal preference. Maybe it's just that I've played the first 20 hours or so over so many times that it all lost it's magic and seems like a chore.

That was his request. She was only passable in that regard.

What will it take for either the BO or his useless volunteers to actually do their fucking jobs and put a stop to this viral marketing?

B-but user, who isn't torrenting these instead of buying?

I'm gonna need a list of texture mods for these screenshots. I notice some Morrowind Watercoloerd but there's some others mixed in there. Looks great

I get this, but I kind of like that the early quests are like that. You're an unskilled scrub, so it makes sense that when you join a faction at their lowest rank you're basically relegated to being an errand boy. Also there are actually quite a few relatively interesting things you can do early game, like the small cave outside Seyda Neen. Also the puzzle box may be a fetch quest but if you're going to that Dwemer ruin for the first time it's a pretty interesting place.
Nigger how low is your HP? I can typically kill a mudcrab in 2-3 hits with maybe 2 misses right out of the C&E office. I've never worried about dying to low level enemies in early game.

Most of what you describe is just the inevitable disillusionment you get from continuing to play the game after the initial novelty has worn off. You shouldn't really be having that much trouble with combat, early game, though unless you're going after enemies that are too strong or just playing your class badly (i.e. having a stealth character but not being stealthy, having a mage but not bringing along enough magic potions).

Stop being a fucking retard

Morrowind shouldn't be based on DnD rules though, it's a videogame. Those rules come from limitaitons of the medium of tabletop games and have no place existing in a videogame that can properly simulate combat.

It's one way compatibility, all Morrowind mods that don't use hacky shit like MWSE, MCP, or MGE should work in OpenMW but OpenMW will get many features that don't exist in the vanilla game engine so there's no reason why the mods should be compatible backwards. Its goal is to replace the vanilla engine so noone should care about that anyways.

Satan is correct. Most non-OpenMW mods I've tried with OpenMW have worked perfectly, most of them not even listed on the OpenMW wiki as tested. As long as it doesn't use super-hacky scripts, it should work with OpenMW

The point of DnD rules is that it's your character performing in combat, not you. It shouldn't matter if you can swing the sword with the right timing and accuracy, it only matters if your character could do it.

So because it is a videogame DnD rules need not apply? I can't wrap my head around that one as plenty of RPGs base their rules on it especially cRPGs. As this user said:

You're not playing you, you're roleplaying as something or someone completely else. Having a basic understanding of the DnD rule set is something I can recommend before delving into Morrowind or any old RPG.

I get what you're saying but at that point where's the game? If you just want to make pretend roleplay you can do so with god mode, but a role playing game needs to both have role playing and be a good game, and the game aspect of Morrowind is extremely lacking. Your character's skills should influence anything that the player doesn't control, like how quick the weapon swing is, how much damage it does, how easy it is to dodge, and so on.

There are plenty of genres out there that simulate board games. Sometimes people want gameplay like DnD but they also want to sit at their computer and play alone. Plus, there is a difference between imagining what a DM is describing and actually standing in the middle of it and seeing it all around you. Sometimes I want to play something slow paced with formulas and dice. Sometimes I want something more cerebral and fast-paced, like an action game. The only reason you would think that one style negates the other is if you really only enjoy one genre. This is why so many action fags are lost at the appeal of Morrowind, when they started with Oblivion or Skyrim. It's that thick-skulled small-mindedness that really becomes irritating. You struggle to try and either understand why we like it or persuade us why we are wrong for liking it. You can't wrap your brain around the fact that not everything out there is for you and why so many of TES's original fans are disappointed by the complete genre shift that Zenimax pulled on the series in order to bring in a larger demographic.

you must be 18 years or old to post here

Are the Skyrim and Cyrodiil mods any good?

I've explored the Cyrodiil one and I really like it. The tiny island doesn't really look like much but there's a lot of shit packed into it. There're AYYleid ruins that are pretty expansive and I found one that had secret tunnels and all sorts of cool shit. There's also tons of interesting books and clutter items to collect and hoard if you're autistic and into that sort of thing like I am

This is not a valid argument, you can't respond to criticism of something with "but there are other games out there that do this and some people like them", this doesn't address the criticism at all. The vast majority of games are shit and the vast majority of people who play them have shit taste.

TES didn't have to become more casual after Morrowind to be an action game, Mount and Blade easily has more in-depth RPG mechanics than it and it has proper action elements.

I did address the criticism. You just didn't read the post. I said it is your opinions that are shit, therefore your criticisms are ultimately flawed. Mount & Blade doesn't have more in-depth RPG mechanics, it just has more combat skills to choose from. It is also much more revolved around combat and is an action-RPG.

So? I'm only talking about the combat in the game. Mountain Blade has both more build variety (in terms of combat) and far better gameplay which proves that both are possible. These mechanics don't have to be in a game where most of what you do is roam around with a bunch of mercenaries, they could also be in something like Morrowind where combat isn't a focus.

It's only obvious it's the best build in elder scrolls.

I don't see how I was implying that.

There is only one build in M&B that is ever worth playing: one-handed and shield for sieges, polearm on horseback for field battles, leadership, and then dump all the party skills into companion. When you combine all your party characters, you pretty much master every skill every game, so the variety of skills adds no depth or replayability in the long run. On top of that, he reflexive, timing-based combat is easy to cheese, making your build almost meaningless once you develop your personal skill in the game, whereas Morrowind's system takes player skill out of the equation. It really depends on whether you're looking for a more slow-paced game of gradual progression and autistic micromanagement or if you are looking for a fast-paced hack n' slash. I love Mount & Blade, but I don't play it nearly as often as Morrowind because it tends to be the same thing over and over. Builds, in Morrowind, tend to be more distinct from each other, making for a deeper RPG.

Haven't I seen this exact post a few times now?

oh sweet summer child…

Is there an imperial post or courier system? how are messages transported around the world? I can't seem to find any reference to this for Morrowind.

I haven't tried the Skyrim one but the Cyrodiil one is really good so far, it's aiming to keep with the Morrowind Lore and the landmass is 1.5x the size of other reasons to comply with TR.

Think families stick to one village while royalty, businesses, and the like just hire strong people to deliver. Maybe they use guilds; do they have those in Morrowind?

Royalty, businesses and guilds most likely would have trusted employees/members to do such things. Take the example of House Telvanni, where they use you as an initiate wizard to deliver messages from one Master Wizard to another

Everybody who complains about the combat is retarded.

Stupid Morrowind, they really thought of nothing aye. should have been some kind of imperial post that distributed mail, collected taxes, provided banking services and handled the distribution of news/propoganda, obviously not available in every town/city in every province with a few pockets of competition. I guess the player does courier work at times so houses probably consider courier-ship a standard job.

people aren't complaining that it's hard, the complain is that it's both shit and missing attacks that clearly landed visually kills immersion, why do you think there are far fewer complains about potions not mixing or spells not casting?

Census and Excise office handles all of that, maybe with the exception of mail. Legion helps them out quite a bit from the looks of things. Other than that, each faction has their own hired couriers, many of them being either lower ranking members.

They were kind of nice lots of stuff to see, and some cool items. I don't think many quests have been implemented though. You find some neat stuff. I found a cool new hat so it was worth it for me.

The census and excise seems to be kind of specific though, and only handles I guess taxes and accounting locally for the empire.

It's not, fellow gamer! It's the pinnacle of gaming technology! After Fallout 4 of course, have you seen its amazing engine yet?

Visually kill yourself.

So does reading text off conversation with NPC from a text prompt, but guess what? It's the best solution.
Let's not forget we are talking about a videogame.

I can't, I keep missing.

The other problem is fatigue. Most plebs keep their fatigue at 0 with no idea that it debuffs all skills by 50%.

You kill yourself first, it's a shit system

should be more like this.

You're implying too hard, it's a shit system that could easily be improved.

At the time it was pretty damn good, of course now you're gonna be spoiled by games targeted at your exact demographic, you capitalist scum.

I won't deny that it worked.

Just spoiled by games with better systems, well, better combat.

Ironic because a shitty swashbuckling simulator that I can easily cheese to override character skill is what kills the immersion for me.

"Better" is relative and what (((your demographic))) considers to be "better" is truly shit.

underr8ed

where can i get this game

looking to get started, going to RP as a racist imperial owning argonian slaves