Under rated games in popular series

Why the fuck does this game get so much hate when the game is so fucking fun and has a kick ass sound track?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31255
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I preferred the saturn version cause of the visuals and far superior soundtrack. but honestly, the game is pretty average at best.

Enemies are a pain to defeat, the camera angle makes platformiong a pain, the game can be completed in an hour if you know what you're doing. I managed to complete my first playthrough in about 2-3 hours while getting every chaos emerald.

If the first level or two weren't complete shit it would have been much more popular.

Talk all the shit you want about this game but the battle system and class system makes me want to play more with it. Too bad SE hates good things we won't get a job system like this ever again.

Because we were hyped for
← THIS
and we got 3D Blast as a shitty consolation prize.

Alright, that doesn't look much fun to play. But back then 3D was a new thing and everyone wanted to experience it. In hindsight, maybe they should have made a new Sonic game in the traditional 2D style but with super gorgeous hand-drawn art like Astal.

I think i can name a few.

Yeah fuck off.

I love Richard Jacques but he completely phoned it in for 3D Blast on Saturn. Diamond Dust is a perfect example: The Jun Senoe version on Genesis is up tempo and makes you want to play in the snow. Richards version on Saturn sounds like a stock Christmas jingle you here in a mall while stuck in line waiting to meet Santa.

Reminder than some autist on Sonic Retro is actually finishing Sonic X-Treme. He's getting closer every day.

forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31255

Of course X-Treme did eventually get released as Sonic Adventure, but the original levels seen in gameplay videos looked pretty cool. I want to play those.

I could be remembering wrong, but weren't extreme and 3D Blast marketed as different games back then?

3D was my first Sonic game. I always though it was fun. A slow isometric platformer isn't really what most people want out of a Sonic game though, so I can understand the distaste.

I don't know why they thought the fish eye effect was a good idea. Looks so disorientating.

Too bad World at War is so eaisly hacked.

Except you're wrong. Adventure was its own project that started life on Saturn by a different team (Sonic Team Japan, where as Xtreme was by Sega Tech Institute in America), with the hub world in Sonic Jam being the one thing released from it before development restarted on Dreamcast.

Flickies! Get the hacked rom Sonic 3D: No flickies and it's much more fun playing through.

They recently released the International version that allows you to break the game, get the Mascot Dress Sphere without being an autist completionist and a Monster Arena where you can either fight superbosses and fiends yourself, or catch monsters to fight for you, which can outdamage you like crazy if you build them correctly. It even has the rougelike game that was a separate disk, only downside is that it's a digital release.

The new version is just an improved version of the game with no real changes to the base content and actual additions including voice acting for new scenes with the old voice actors.

There are also two new dresspheres, Festivalist and Psychic, Festivalist acts like a separate Mascot Dressphere with gimmicky but powerful abilities (Yuna's Sandal line focuses on outcomes based on physics, Rikku does tons of damage with elemental goldfish but randomly, and Paine throws masks that cause status effects, which is far more useful then it sounds since enemies and bosses are actually vulnerable to status in this game)

And the other one, Psychic, is pretty hilarious since it focuses on outright damage negation, invincibility, and stopping time to get off abilities with huge cast times, like Black Magic. It also has spells that do PHYSICAL damage, which work on magic defense, so you can take out those superbosses that have resistances to all magic elements, but have low health, like the Black Element in Via Purifico.

So later in the game when you get the ability accessories and grids, you can use the Psychic's time stop to attack once, then cast a huge spell for massive damage, or turn yourself invincible, it's actually pretty broken as fuck if you use it right.

end of rant I like FFX-2. It's really the last good final fantasy game, and it mastered the Active Time Battle system, and a lot of it's assets were used as placeholders for ff13, since it was directly based off it.

FF13 could have been so fucking good if they had just kept the team smaller, it's a fucking shame how bad it was.

The monster arena is hilariously fun holy shit it's like the only re-release that gets what it's supposed to do right

Pre-21st century Sonic music is the absolute shit. Does anyone else unironically enjoy Sonic R's soundtrack?

Best your fucking ass I do. Once per year I 100% the game in one sitting, memorized the tokens and chaos emeralds both.

Usually forgotten/ignored in favor of Blood Money, but it had a better soundtrack and level design. The AI was pretty unforgiving though, whereas Blood Money gave more opportunity for error / recovery, which is the reason it's preferred over SA IMO.

C47 is also underrated (as in, it's not ever talked about). The problem with it was that the stealth mechanics were pretty basic. You could almost play it like a shooter. It was since SA that the stealth direction was settled.

Sonic Megami Tensei: Fursona 4

Why didn't they just make a game with the Sonic Jam engine? They developed that shit just for a shitty hub world.

I know the Heart-beat developed dragon quests aren't as good as the Chunsoft or Level-5 ones, but I think VI had some real heart. Sugiyama's score was fantastic, and the introduction of skills for humans gave the series some nice depth.

Fuck nevan though.

I can undestand MGSV, it was its own thing, unique experience in the series, but FFXV? That's just a bad taste.
Lost World was very mediocre.

What? How the fuck can "Battlefield:Vietnam" be rated "Teen" and not "mature?" Anyone who has played it, is it so lacking in violence as to be a joke?

Back then the rating was different. Gun action without blood was T.

Nigga SA is routinely recognized as the first good Hitman game. Even if it's aged it's still seen as a classic.

sup teenbro

Except it is a shitty faux cinematic Kojima story, but one that's unfinished with what made it out serving as an example as to what happens when Hideo doesn't have a good co-writter like Fukushima who can reign him in and make the batshit story interesting.

MGSV is shit, and it's been talked about to death and doesn't remotely fit in to the thread. kys summercuck

Your opinion is just a meme. You don't have a single fact to back it up. You likely didn't even play the game, because most people who take issue with it outright don't hate it. Most peoples complaints boil down to.
1) not living up to the 10 years of hype
2) wanting the game to be turn based combat
Ed Findlay goes by RetroGamer3. He was the darksydephil clone who went out and killed lvl1 dogs and concluded the game was shit before even complicating the first mission.
user, nobody trust the MSM, expectantly the main stream gaming press. Sure square enix tends to have reviewers in its pockets, that goes with the territory. And yes the advertising for FFXV is trash. However the common rabble (aka normalfags), like yourself, love to hate FFXV to a degree that is absurd.
face the facts it was fun

caring about story in fun video games is Tumblr/Reddit tier.
sage because double post

completing*

No, they were produced by completely different teams; one by Sega Technical Institute, the other by Sonic Team.

They kinda did. That was a very early prototype for Sonic Adventure. It was too late to produce a full new game for the Saturn, which was a flop anyway.

Yes, they were always separate games. See how this trailer only mentions 3D Blast for the Genesis? It seems the Saturn port was kept secret because it was a backup plan in case X-Treme's development failed - as it ultimately did.

Note that 3D Blast was actually developed by Traveller's Tales. Only for the Saturn port, Sonic Team provided the new bonus stage, and Sega Europe's composer Richard Jacques did the new soundtrack.

Didn't Sonic Jam's Sonic World feature stuff that was made for X-Treme, and then some stuff from Jam made it into Adventure? The development of the game was fucked, but there is a chain of progression. Just like how the later versions of X-Treme (with there being both a Saturn version and PC version) were very different from the earlier 32X versions, but could still be considered an evolution of those earlier versions.

It's because 3D Blast is actually a 3D sequel to Flicky rather than a 3D sequel to Sonic. They just threw Sonic in to sell it better.

Also IIRC the Saturn version of 3D Blast wasn't even released in Japan until years later.

Lost world was so slow compared to the superior Unleashed and generations, why do you want a slow sonic, it was mario speed.

It gives you look-ahead on the left and right

I really like it and I love the Genesis music.

The Saturn music is good on its own but not for a Sonic game.

This looks better than the Sonic Blast we got but it still looks fucking horrible desu.

This is what passes for an argument here? Claiming that an opinion that disagrees with yours is a meme? Claiming that something is so perfect because you like it that no "real" negative opinion can be more negative than IGN giving something an 8/10 instead of a 11/10?

The main thing I disliked about MGSV was that the stealth was fucking horrible. A slow and careful gamestyle wasn't rewarded at all. Everything was about speed. I once ran through an entire mission, got spotted twice and shot two people in the face with the bullshitbullettime and guess what? I got an S Rank. After that I dropped it. But I agree that it had the best gameplay of any of the MGS games but that's like saying solid shit is better than diarrhea.

Agreed, but

Wrong

Nope. Jam's hub world was a basic idea of how to get a 3D Sanic, as done by the Japs at Sonic Team, on Saturn before shifting development to Dreamcast.

And in regards to Xtreme and Adventure that's not the case. Xtreme was developed by an American staff across a couple of different engines before getting killed by Sega of Japan. Adventure was developed by Sonic Team in Japan by a completely staff.

Please do your research before running your mouth like a jackass you retarded summerfag.

By the time Adventure was greenlit for the Saturn, the system was clearly dying. It just made sense to switch to the Dreamcast.

MGSV feels more a game designed to set up action movie scenarios than an outright stealth game. It's like how James Bond is an action movie franchise about a spy, not a movie franchise about spying.

except that in Japan the saturn was a success. It's only in the US that it was a flop. Maybe the US bought more Sonic than Japan did?

It had to be fun. How else did I keep playing it for 100 hours?

Reminder that Shinichi Shimomura is dead.

That's exactly the case. Sanic was always bigger in America than in Japan. In turn the Genesis did far better here and in Europe whereas the Mega Drive got curb stomped by Nintendo and NEC. With Saturn, Sega of Japan tried to take control of their products on a global scale (read about more of this in Console Wars), and massively fucked up the success Tom Kalinske had here, so much that their Japanese success with the Saturn was nothing compared to how they tanked their biggest markets in U.S. and Europe.

Which means shit when it still got ass raped by the PS1 even in Japan.

You probably have shit taste.

cuz its a sonic game. haven't played btw

At least we now can listen to its soundtrack. I love how it has "product of the 90's" written all over it. Like if it was composed by someone who used to make music for the Commodore Amiga or the Atari ST and was then trying to take advantage of the capabilities of the CD format.

nah, the Saturn was in like a 60:40 competition with the PS1. The N64 however, that's another story.

Yeah no

Saturn only sold 9 million units worldwide, 5 mill of which in Japan. PS1 in Japan alone already sold 8 million by 1997. Saturn was a success in that it was Segas most successful system in Japan.

Reminder that 2, 3, CD, and Mean Bean Machine were the only good Sonic games.

If we're talking about Sonic games I'm gonna choose this one. I honestly believe this is an actual good game. Not half good, all good. Werehog gameplay isn't anything special but its decent for a beat em up. Daytime are fun and challenging especially if you played Generations and want a new challenge. But the big draw is the hub worlds. It's not necessary to talk to all of them and its easy to find the action stages, but the NPCs are all charming with their own history and cultures that you can't help to mingle with them. There's a lot of heart to this game.

not-too-distant second place in the generation seems to be perfectly in line with what I was saying, but sure whatever makes you feel like you won?

FF 9 is the best

You can eat shit if you want to, but that doesn't mean everyone has to eat it with you.

Remember when everyone hated Wind Waker and Twilight Princess and now everyone loves Wind Waker and Twilight Princess? What's up with that?

Skyward Sword happened.

I don't believe for a second that people really like Twilight Princess. That game redefined the concept of mediocrity. People apparently either overhype Midna or the wolf sections, neither of which were anything special, nor did they contribute much to the game as a whole.

I know a british man who hates unleashed by forcing you to collect medals to unlock new areas.

And what you're saying is horseshit, it was a very distant second place, and that was only Japan. Everywhere else it was dead last, that is if you exclude objectively shit consoles like the PCFX and the Bandai Playdia or early 32 bit systems like 3DO and Jaguar. Saturn was 3rd place overall even with its minor Japanese success. The fact it sold only 5 million vs. tens of millions in Japan alone is proof enough of its distant 2nd place there.

Considering I've used actual data to back up my argument, yeah I have. Fanboying isn't an argument, and I say that as a Saturn fan.

so you agree, saturn was second place in Japan, good to know

Saturn OST and US Sonic CD songs aren't bad but only a select few good soundtracks. But really it just doesn't fit the mood and tone Sonic typically has. Now if those same songs appeared in a more modern Sonic game I probably wouldn't complain. But they clash terribly with classic aesthetics.

For a real underrated game in my opinion was Onimusha 3 and to an extent 4. These games aren't too bad. I especially love 3 because it tied in so well with Onimusha 1 and 2. Despite everything I find Somonoske pairing up with a pretty awesome Action Movie Hero to be fucking 10/10 with some very refined [though a bit cluttered] gameplay.

Sonic adventure 1 and two, colors, unleashed, generations were good games.

Yes, unleashed is good with flaws, like the token collecting and wear-hog levels.

You should try the unleashed project, you can run the sonic levels in 1920x1080 in 60fps.

user FF7+ are all shit, with the exception of 9 & XV. I bet you are one of those faggots who like FF10. By just suggesting you have even played FF8-10 then you by defacto have also eaten several helpings shit. I'm sorry that you find Cindy's ass offensive and problematic, but you will soon learn SJW like yourself are not welcomed here.

but your response is not even an argument. You didn't even have the decency of posting a cute animu grill.

why do you keep posting? You are just a cantankerous curmudgeon who doesn't fit in. Sure you would assume it would go along with the territory, collectively Holla Forums is often cantankerous but you see, Holla Forums is not a hive mind, and its not really one person. Just kvetching alone does not make you fit in. lurk more newfag.

Never played the Werehog shit, but the Generations mods are top notch fun.

That's pretty much true. Especially when you consider some of this shit was ripped off from 80s action movies. See rescuing Miller in Afghanistan, then go watch Rambo 3.

Is that battletoads

Only in the sense that it was still giant failure for Sega to the point where they laid off a third of their workforce.

In other words, it wasn't a success. But whatever makes you feel like you've won, not to mention I never denied it was second to the PS1 in Japan, so please go back to your summer school remedial English class.

Genesis version is vastly inferior to the one made by our friends at (((Bioware))).

I'm assuming it was the isometric view. However the game does get really fun once you take the time to get the hang of the controls. It sucks that there really isn't any other games out there like this one.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided is a better game than Human Revolutions.

Is this available on steam? must be, just blocked in my fucking country…

Nigger stop

You do not know the definition of "underrated."

This tbh. I want to like TP, I really do. Skills are fun to use in combat and I'm one of 5 people on Earth who didn't hate the wolf sections. Dungeon design is great.

But the game is just so fucking boring and safe. What's the point of a neat battle system if enemies are completely non-threatening? why give me these items if they become useless once I leave the dungeon? Why is the world so fucking empty?

Speaking of Sonic games, is there a reason Sonic Advance (the first one) is so overlooked these days? As far as I recall that game was pretty faithful to the 16 bit Sonic formula. Why does no one consider that game the last true classic Sonic?

That looks like garbage though. I only played the Genesis 3D Blast, but even that was better.

Probably because Dimps handheld Sanic games got steadily shittier as they went on.

Advance 1 would've been a classic if it weren't for the bonus stages and the clunky mode 7 they had.

The sequels went a bit too far with their boost bars and gimmicks, but the original was pretty close to Megadrive Sonic, at least as far as I remember.

Pathetaroni, jabroni.